PDA

View Full Version : Who's the better Receiver?

danman253
08-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Chad Johnson or Hines Ward?

Me and Psub have been arguing about this for quite a while. I say CJ

CJ is faster, has better hands, haze the size and is a better endzone threat. In fact besides Blocking i'm not sure what Ward has on him.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Chad Johnson is a better wide reciever, there isn't a single doubt in my mind.

I absolutely respect what Heinz Ward has done in the NFL, and if I was building a team, I would even be tempted to choose him over Johnson as a player and team leader.

However, Johnson is one of the most explosive recievers in the league, and he is worlds more dangerous than Ward.

njx9
08-28-2006, 08:13 PM
i don't know that CJ has better hands. what makes you say that?

Staubach12
08-28-2006, 08:14 PM
CJ, no doubt.

08-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Hines Ward is one of the most overrated WR in the league, if not the most.

He isn't Top 10 and everyone always has him in the Top 10

Johnson
TO
Moss
Holt
Wayne
Harrison
Fitzgerald
Bolden
Walker - when healthy
Smith

draftguru151
08-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Ward is a very good player but he isn't an amazing receiver. He is pretty good, but he isn't a top reciever. An argument could be made for CJ as the best WR in the NFL, Ward definately doesn't.

ShutDwn
08-28-2006, 08:16 PM

I absolutely respect what Heinz Ward has done in the NFL, and if I was building a team, I would even be tempted to choose him over Johnson as a player and team leader.

However, Johnson is one of the most explosive recievers in the league, and he is worlds more dangerous than Ward.

I don't really associate the word explosive with Johnson.

I don't really know, I really like Ward, I think that he could deffinatley get 1300+ yards a season.

It is really close, I don't think I can pick

danman253
08-28-2006, 08:18 PM

I haven't seen him do anything to make me think he wouldn't however neither has Ward. I guees a better playmaker would be the word i am looking for.

08-28-2006, 08:18 PM
I think that he could deffinatley get 1300+ yards a season.

Yeah, seeings how he's only done it once and that was when Maddox was QB and the offense was THROW IT A MILLION TIMES A GAME.

ninerfan
08-28-2006, 08:19 PM
CJ but I'd have Hines in a heartbeat too

draftguru151
08-28-2006, 08:20 PM

I agree 100% with this.

CJ

psub10champs

Johnson
TO
Moss
Holt
Wayne
Harrison
Fitzgerald
Bolden
Walker - when healthy
Smith

:lol: :lol: :lol: You seriously need to stop posting. HOW IS HINES OVERRATED!!! Please tell me. He is underrated if anything. Your a browns fan, so number 1 you are biased, number two, well, I can't say what I want anymore, or otherwise you'll cry to ward.

psub10champs
08-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Ward is a very good player but he isn't an amazing receiver. He is pretty good, but he isn't a top reciever. An argument could be made for CJ as the best WR in the NFL, Ward definately doesn't.
how???? ru kidding. He is the alltime leader in steelers receptions, and he did it in 6 years. He blocks better than any WR, he has excellent hands, he has good speed, he is good at everything. God, please, list why he is overrated, don't just say it

sweetness34
08-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Hines Ward IMO is the best All-Around WR in the League IMO. He does everything well, but nothing really great. Good hands, good route runner, good after the catch, good in the red zone, good over the middle, tough, very good blocker, very good team leader, very intelligent, good team guy, etc...

Without a doubt CJ is the better recieving threat and he's more explosive than Hines, but IMO Ward is the most "complete" WR in the NFL, but that's my opinion.

It's just like with LT. He's not the best runner in the NFL, but he's without a doubt the best RB in the NFL. Catching, blocking, running, etc...

yeah because I've never once talked to ward.

I don't play bias just because they're steelers. Ben, I like him, Plax, liked him, James Harrison, him too, Hope, him as well, Troy P, yeah that guy too, Kevin Greene, Dawson, sure did, Yancy, yeah. hmmm shall I continue or do you and your little clique want to keep acting like I am a homer for no reason?

psub10champs
I think that he could deffinatley get 1300+ yards a season.

Yeah, seeings how he's only done it once and that was when Maddox was QB and the offense was THROW IT A MILLION TIMES A GAME.
so then randy moss is overrated I guess, cause all the vikings did was throw to him. Again, more evidence you haven't the slightest clue what you are talking about.

psub10champs
08-28-2006, 08:24 PM
yeah because I've never once talked to ward.

I don't play bias just because they're steelers. Ben, I like him, Plax, liked him, James Harrison, him too, Hope, him as well, Troy P, yeah that guy too, Kevin Greene, Dawson, sure did, Yancy, yeah. hmmm shall I continue or do you and your little clique want to keep acting like I am a homer for no reason?

You still haven't once said why ward is overrated

danman253
08-28-2006, 08:24 PM

Johnson
TO
Moss
Holt
Wayne
Harrison
Fitzgerald
Bolden
Walker - when healthy
Smith
i don't think he is overrated at all. He is very consistent and is a great leader. He may not be as flashy or as talented as others, but he is definetely top 10.

Get Javon Walker out of there now

Top 10 WRs:

1. Randy Moss
2. Steve Smith
3. Chad Johnson
4. Marvin Harrison
5. Terrell Owens
6. Larry Fitzgerald
7. Tory Holt
8. Hines Ward
9. Anquan Boldin
10. BRAYLON EDWARDS! :D

JK, 10. Santana Moss

08-28-2006, 08:27 PM
how???? ru kidding. He is the alltime leader in steelers receptions, and he did it in 6 years. He blocks better than any WR, he has excellent hands, he has good speed, he is good at everything. God, please, list why he is overrated, don't just say it

because the steelers have so many guys with so many receptions :roll: who has the 2nd most Stallworth and his 537 ? The arguements Steeler fans give for Ward would make Jimmy Smith a Top 5 WR to ever play the game.

danman253
08-28-2006, 08:29 PM

because the steelers have so many guys with so many receptions :roll: who has the 2nd most Stallworth and his 537 ? The arguements Steeler fans give for Ward would make Jimmy Smith a Top 5 WR to ever play the game.
How does this make him overrated? I am curious to hear this too.

psub10champs
08-28-2006, 08:29 PM

Ward, Stallworth, and Lynn Swann, who are both HOF's race. Look, forget that stat anyway. How is he overrated??? he does everything well, name a weak part of his game

danman253
08-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Well Psub, i think its safe to say i have won this arguement :lol:

sweetness34
08-28-2006, 08:31 PM

Ward, Stallworth, and Lynn Swann, who are both HOF's race. Look, forget that stat anyway. How is he overrated??? he does everything well, name a weak part of his game

I'm with ya man...I love the way Hines plays the game and he is without a doubt IMO a top 10 WR in the NFL. If we're talking about overall WR's, he's one of the best, end of discussion.

psub10champs
08-28-2006, 08:31 PM
whatever, I said I'd rather have Ward and I still would. I don't care what the poll says, your being a doosh for posting this argument on a forum anyway

ShutDwn
08-28-2006, 08:53 PM

I think Keyshawn is just as good.

I think I would take Ward, I just like his style of play better, IMO he is a more versatile WR. (not talking about throwing)

Pit Bull #53
08-28-2006, 08:57 PM
For my money, Anquan Boldin is a younger, better version of Ward. He just doesn't have the complete resume that Ward does yet because of age.

LonghornsLegend
08-28-2006, 09:23 PM
not even close, hard to match CJ in EVERY aspect of the WR position that he possess...

speed
agility
hands
quickness

he is top 5 in the NFL at every one, i cant say the same about ward...

sweetness34
08-28-2006, 09:24 PM
not even close, hard to match CJ in EVERY aspect of the WR position that he possess...

speed
agility
hands
quickness

Yea blocking, leadership, toughness, and intelligence really don't matter either.

Hines Ward is in the top 5 in those categories....

Ward
08-28-2006, 09:29 PM
whatever, I said I'd rather have Ward and I still would. I don't care what the poll says, your being a doosh for posting this argument on a forum anyway

We'd all rather have Ward. 8)

LonghornsLegend

speed
agility
hands
quickness

Yea blocking, leadership, toughness, and intelligence really don't matter either.

Hines Ward is in the top 5 in those categories....

yea and CJ has no leadership or toughness for the bengals :roll:

granted ward is hands down the best blocker and most physical in that aspect of the game, but i said overall every category i have CJ ranked higher, Ward excells in the steelers system and CJ is great for his system, but stacked up CJ ranks higher almost every time..

sweetness34

We'd all rather have Ward. 8)

:lol:

Bearsfan123
08-28-2006, 09:32 PM
To build a team around Id take Ward for his completeness as a receiver. For a big play receiver Id take CJ hands down.

njx9
08-28-2006, 09:38 PM

I haven't seen him do anything to make me think he wouldn't however neither has Ward. I guees a better playmaker would be the word i am looking for.

fair enough, just wasn't sure if i'd missed something about ward.

Vikes99ej
08-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Chad Johnson. Heinz is just known for his scrappy play and blocking. Yellow mohawk Man does everything.

Moses
08-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Chad Johnson. Hines Ward is sometimes overrated because he does all the little things and is a great team player. Announcers always give him love because he's a great locker room player that is easy to like but he's not at the same level as Johnson in terms of catching the football.

TimD
08-28-2006, 10:58 PM

ditto^^^^^^^^^

detknowitall
08-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Johnson is definately a better reciever but Hines has him in 2 areas he's definately a better blocker, and Hines is a better reciever when going over the middle.

XxXdragonXxX
08-29-2006, 12:55 AM
CJ led the league in drops a couple years ago...so I wouldn't say he has better hands.

Eat_Meat
08-29-2006, 01:19 AM
I think you have to account the teams they play for and their roles on the team..

CJ plays for the bengals which is basically a vertical threat type of offense with good recvers and a good QB but CJ is not their main player on offense.

Hines playes for pitt which is a gutsy run first pound the ball type of offense that will throw for 1st downs and needs good possesion recevers. I think Hines helps his teama lot more becuse he is able to block well for their running game and is able to make catches that move the chains.

danman253
08-29-2006, 07:05 AM
CJ led the league in drops a couple years ago...so I wouldn't say he has better hands.

Key words right there. Last Season i sawc hardly any drops from him.

eacantdraft
08-29-2006, 07:29 AM
I'd take Hines Ward. He's not the modern selfish WR that plagues many teams. He is as happy to lay wood on a defensive back as he is making catches. He hits like a safety on cornerbacks and safeties. I forgot what Baltimore defensive back he took the helmet off on a running play a couple season's ago.

RyanLeaf#1
08-29-2006, 07:30 AM
No doubt Chad Johnson just look at the results so far. Its that easy of a question.

08-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Lol, remember the arguments about Ward being a dirty player danman? You tried telling me he wasn't dirty and I told you how he was voted by the players as the 2nd most dirty player in the NFL.

Anyways, If I was building a team I'd take Hines.

Chad's got speed on him, but he's definitely not a better redzone threat. Hines isn't big but he always found open spots in the endzone and I really wouldn't be surprised if he had more redzone scores than Plax did when Plax was in the Burgh.

Hands wise, I'm not really sure because I don't actually see Chad play every single week like I see Hines play. I know this though, Hines never drops balls. Seriously, I cannot recall one time I saw him drop a pass. He's great in traffic and always fights for extra yards. So despite the fact that he is slower, he actually may be better after the catch than CJ.

As far as routes go, I don't study that stuff on tape, but despite Hines' lack of serious speed he always beats his man so his route running must be pretty damn good.

It's definitely a close call and I can see why either player would be chosen, however, if I were building a team, I would take Hines because he can contribute to the team in more ways than Chad therefore making him the more complete player.

08-29-2006, 08:21 AM

This means nothing. The people who voted in this poll are mostly under the age of 17 and see Chad on TV more often talking about how good he is. They also are fantasy players and think that stats are everything.

The beauty of Hines Ward lies beyond his statistical achievments, this is a well known fact.

08-29-2006, 08:22 AM

speed
agility
hands
quickness

Wow, you're wild if you think Chad is in the top 5 in speed, agility, and quickness. He's not even close.

danman253
08-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Lol, remember the arguments about Ward being a dirty player danman? You tried telling me he wasn't dirty and I told you how he was voted by the players as the 2nd most dirty player in the NFL.

I still don't think he is dirty. But whatever.

XxXdragonXxX
08-29-2006, 01:20 PM

Key words right there. Last Season i sawc hardly any drops from him.

He was tied for 6th in the league last year.

Smooth Criminal
08-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Hard for me to say. As a Steeler fan, Ward is better for us than CJ would be. Ward is a great blocker and a great worker. He makes some hard catches and isn't afraid to take a hit or two. He is much better at the stuff that our WRs are asked to do.

But when you look at CJ he is taller, faster and probably has better hands. For most teams I would rather have CJ at reciever. He is just more of a big play threat than Ward is. He can make a huge impact on any game with his speed and deepball ability.

I will say CJ is a better reciever but I would take Ward first as a player.

Jonathan_VIlma
08-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Hines Ward is slowly becoming one of the most overrated receivers in the game just because he's a "feel good" story. He's a good blocker, but both Keyshawn and Boldin are better yet never get the credit for it.

CJ is explosive, and I don't get how everyone is saying they'd take Hines Ward as a player. It's not like Chad Johnson is a Terrell Owens type player in the clubhouse. He is definitley a leader and has helped the outbreak of Carson Palmer more than most of you think. If he had such a drop problem he wouldn't continually put up 90 catch seasons. Ward has good hands, but Johnson's problem isn't his hands, it's a concentration thing.

Add in the fact that the Bengals are near a lock to be a top three offensive team this year, whereas the Steelers aren't.

elway777
08-29-2006, 01:58 PM

speed
agility
hands
quickness

steve smith

randy moss

torry holt

terrell owens

santana moss

marvin harrison

chris chambers

....etc...

...........?

dcarey20
08-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Chad Johnson hands down

08-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Hines Ward is slowly becoming one of the most overrated receivers in the game just because he's a "feel good" story. He's a good blocker, but both Keyshawn and Boldin are better yet never get the credit for it.

After the bold, I quit reading...

draftguru151
08-29-2006, 03:09 PM

:roll: Why? Keyshawn is a very good blocker. :? Blocking WRs are so overrated anyway. Yea it is nice for a WR to block, but I would much rather have a great receiver that is a bad blocker than a good receiver that is a great blocker.

danman253
08-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Keyshawn is in no way shape or form better than Ward now. He is close to him inblocking but ward is better

danman253
08-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Keyshawn is in no way shape or form better than Ward now. He is close to him inblocking but ward is better

Dam8610
08-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Chad Johnson without question. I wonder why someone from Pennsylvania would pick Hines Ward over Chad Johnson... :roll:

danman253
08-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Chad Johnson without question. I wonder why someone from Pennsylvania would pick Hines Ward over Chad Johnson... :roll:Me and PSU are both from Chicago :?

Dam8610
08-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Chad Johnson without question. I wonder why someone from Pennsylvania would pick Hines Ward over Chad Johnson... :roll:Me and PSU are both from Chicago :?

Okay, then a fan of Pennsylvania teams. (I'm saying picking Ward over Johnson is a homer pick)

danman253
08-29-2006, 03:50 PM

Okay, then a fan of Pennsylvania teams. (I'm saying picking Ward over Johnson is a homer pick)

ahhh, gotchya

Kurve
08-29-2006, 11:51 PM
Chad Johnson is a good WR but i think most people associate him as a superstar wr because of his over the top personality. I think if Johnson was more low key with his personality we wouldnt really think of him as one of the top WR in the league. Hines Ward definatly underated he is in a offense that is mostly based on the running game i think if hines were on a offense such as the old rams or even the current bangels i think his numbers would be atleast 200 - 500 yards more a season.

steelersfan43
08-30-2006, 01:08 AM

CJ is explosive, and I don't get how everyone is saying they'd take Hines Ward as a player. It's not like Chad Johnson is a Terrell Owens type player in the clubhouse. He is definitley a leader and has helped the outbreak of Carson Palmer more than most of you think. If he had such a drop problem he wouldn't continually put up 90 catch seasons. Ward has good hands, but Johnson's problem isn't his hands, it's a concentration thing.

Add in the fact that the Bengals are near a lock to be a top three offensive team this year, whereas the Steelers aren't.

he is probbly the cocky'ist player in the nfl and he threw a punch at his coach at halftime

[/b]

bobrooney
08-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Hines is overrated? When people assume the best aspects of his game are blocking and being a team leader then I'd have to say he's underrated. Hines has a pair of the best hands in the league, he simply does not drop very many balls and has made some pretty amazing catches (SB shoe string grab), he does that all the time though. He's constantly making those plays. He's not fast yet he gets open, he's a great route runner. I've also seen him put a 300+lb lineman on his ass. You don't have to think he's better than Chad but take the time to watch him more than once and you'll realize he is one of the top recievers in the game.

Shiver
08-31-2006, 01:54 PM

speed
agility
hands
quickness

I agree with the other three, but the "hands" part is off.

yourfavestoner
08-31-2006, 05:40 PM

Johnson
TO
Moss
Holt
Wayne
Harrison
Fitzgerald
Bolden
Walker - when healthy
Smith

:lol: :lol: :lol: You seriously need to stop posting. HOW IS HINES OVERRATED!!! Please tell me. He is underrated if anything. Your a browns fan, so number 1 you are biased, number two, well, I can't say what I want anymore, or otherwise you'll cry to ward.

Being a Browns fan is completely irrelevant because :gasp: the Browns are in the same division as BOTH the Steelers and the Bengals.

09-01-2006, 07:57 AM

Johnson
TO
Moss
Holt
Wayne
Harrison
Fitzgerald
Bolden
Walker - when healthy
Smith

Being a Browns fan is completely irrelevant because :gasp: the Browns are in the same division as BOTH the Steelers and the Bengals.

Uh... yeah but the Browns HATE the Steelers. Back in the day it was the best rivalry in the land. Its kind of hard for the new school Steeler fans to hate the Browns though... because they always suck.

portermvp84
09-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Chad Johnson has the better skills, but Hines Ward has the better atitude.

Shiver
09-01-2006, 12:58 PM
They are not that far apart. Although if Johnson had better hands he'd make a case for best in the league. 23 Drops in two years, ouch.

The Legend
09-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Chad Johnson has the better skills, but Hines Ward has the better atitude.

i love 85 attitude :D

Shiver
09-01-2006, 01:11 PM
They are not that far apart. Although if Johnson had better hands he'd make a case for best in the league. 23 Drops in two years, ouch.

To re-emphasize this point, Ward had 8 Drops in the same period of time.

Dam8610
09-01-2006, 02:36 PM

Well, that's a different arguement entirely. I'm assuming you said this because of Chad Johnson's antics, not based on purely talent?

09-01-2006, 06:55 PM
CJ is clearly the better WR. Hines is a good blocker and has slightly better hands but i think blocking is a very overrated skill for a reciever. sure its very helpful but CJ's big play threat is so much more valuable.

psub10champs
09-01-2006, 07:31 PM

:roll: Why? Keyshawn is a very good blocker. :? Blocking WRs are so overrated anyway. Yea it is nice for a WR to block, but I would much rather have a great receiver that is a bad blocker than a good receiver that is a great blocker.

Keyshawn is not better than Ward, shouldn't even be a question, that's why you should have topped reading that at that point.

psub10champs
09-01-2006, 07:33 PM

Well, that's a different arguement entirely. I'm assuming you said this because of Chad Johnson's antics, not based on purely talent?

yeah, I can't stand that idiot. Cocky bastard with a ****** attitude who I loathe

psub10champs
09-01-2006, 07:42 PM

Johnson
TO
Moss
Holt
Wayne
Harrison
Fitzgerald
Bolden
Walker - when healthy
Smith

Hmmm. Or the fact that the browns-steelers have arguiably the most hate filled rivalry in all of football. Maybe that would lead to him (browns fan) being biased against ward (steelers player)

yourfavestoner
09-02-2006, 02:58 AM

Johnson
TO
Moss
Holt
Wayne
Harrison
Fitzgerald
Bolden
Walker - when healthy
Smith

Hmmm. Or the fact that the browns-steelers have arguiably the most hate filled rivalry in all of football. Maybe that would lead to him (browns fan) being biased against ward (steelers player)

Well, seeing as how they have an in-state rivalry going on with the Bengals as well, I'm sure picking Johnson over Ward has nothing to do with him hating the Steelers SOOO much more than another division rival.

psub10champs
09-02-2006, 02:26 PM

Johnson
TO
Moss
Holt
Wayne
Harrison
Fitzgerald
Bolden
Walker - when healthy
Smith

Well, seeing as how they have an in-state rivalry going on with the Bengals as well, I'm sure picking Johnson over Ward has nothing to do with him hating the Steelers SOOO much more than another division rival.

You are sorely mistaken if you think te rivalry between the Browns and the bengals even comes close to the Browns-Steelers