PDA

View Full Version : Advice NEEDED!!

Santos-Stanton47
04-23-2007, 05:57 PM
i trust you guys so lemme kno...

this past week our community in Maine, just lost two great people from the same family. 85% of staff were out today to go to the funeral of Craig Turgeon who had cancer for 20 years, and his dad, John, died of carbon monoxide poisoning from sleeping above a generator in the NE floods.....some side notes. Steve Turgeon Uncle of Craig, Twin Brother Of John, is our MAIN guidance counselor, and his sister is another guidance counselor

so basically. Craig started this Maine Childrens Cancer Program, who this year my HS raised over 4,000 dollars in pennys and dollars and stuff.... well, a vast majority of that money was raised by my science class teacher, and our classes combined. when he heard we raised that much, craig came in, and talked to us, answered questions and told his story. he was an upbeat guy and whatnot really good guy.....

i am considering writing a memorial peice for the family in our school magazine. (which i am the sports editor, and special peices writer)
i dont know if its a good call considering the impacts that the deaths have had on our school and what not. its a VERY touchy subject, but i feel its a medium risk, high reward for a deserving story.

if i did it on how great these people were, and how strong the family is, and how much they meant, to us as a school and what i learned from actually meeting him. is it a safe idea?

would i be risking some serious frowning upon by my school or if done carefully, do a great peice and lift some spirits for a sad HS at this time.... any advice wouldbe great, cuz im really thinking about this, but its hard to decide on whether its a good idea or not

thanks guys

gbpackers0065
04-23-2007, 06:00 PM
i think its a good idea if you do it tastefully and put things in a positive light.....no one is going to get that mad at a HS kid for writing a memorial piece

Santos-Stanton47
04-23-2007, 06:02 PM
right but, idk, maybe they dont wanna hear it from someone who REALLY doesnt know the family. im sure it could make a lot of people happy that someone recognized them on a big stage, but idk if its safe..

gbpackers0065
04-23-2007, 06:06 PM
right but, idk, maybe they dont wanna hear it from someone who REALLY doesnt know the family. im sure it could make a lot of people happy that someone recognized them on a big stage, but idk if its safe..

is there another writer on your staff that knew the family better

Santos-Stanton47
04-23-2007, 06:13 PM
no, they all suck...im not being cocky. but umm, pretty much all geeks, and wierdos

thats one of the reasons why i was HANDED my sports editor job, i can basically do what i want, she wont tell me no on ANY of my articles, but idk if its too sensitive

gbpackers0065
04-23-2007, 06:18 PM
no, they all suck...im not being cocky. but umm, pretty much all geeks, and wierdos

thats one of the reasons why i was HANDED my sports editor job, i can basically do what i want, she wont tell me no on ANY of my articles, but idk if its too sensitive

talk to your parents they know better than me

princefielder28
04-23-2007, 06:22 PM
As long as you acknowledge the people with respect and show the quality characteristics that made these individuals who they were, it is a terrific idea to write about two members of a family that will be dearly missed. In the end do what you feel is right though and not what others may think of you for doing it.

eaglesalltheway
04-23-2007, 06:52 PM
As long as you acknowledge the people with respect and show the quality characteristics that made these individuals who they were, it is a terrific idea to write about two members of a family that will be dearly missed. In the end do what you feel is right though and not what others may think of you for doing it.

Well put. That is about what I would have said.

Tubby
04-23-2007, 07:43 PM
I would get angry at you. If I understood you correctly and you barely knew the guy, the paper is going to be full of lies and bull****.