PDA

View Full Version : Hey for people who have played high school ball...

BufFan71
04-23-2007, 06:21 PM
would you consider getting moved from Guard to Center a demotion???
cuz our center ran a faster 40, so my coach wants him to play guard and me center, hes 6'0 175lbs and im 5'11 240lbs and im a better pass blocker...idk i kno im not as fast, or am too bummed about possibly playing center?

frogstomp
04-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Please, never post again.

BufFan71
04-23-2007, 06:24 PM
why is that?

princefielder28
04-23-2007, 06:24 PM
It's not a demotion b/c you'll still be playing. I'm sure you guys run plays where the guard has to pull and he wants the guard thats a bit more athletic. Nothing to worry about!

duckseason
04-23-2007, 06:25 PM
would you consider getting moved from Guard to Center a demotion???
cuz our center ran a faster 40, so my coach wants him to play guard and me center, hes 6'0 175lbs and im 5'11 240lbs and im a better pass blocker...idk i kno im not as fast, or am too bummed about possibly playing center?
Depending on how you feel about feeling the tender touch of another man, I guess it could be viewed as either a promotion or a demotion.
j/p. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Just go out there and kick some ass regardless of where you play.

BufFan71
04-23-2007, 06:25 PM
yeah we run a flexbone, hes gonna be the quick guard.... we are both gonna be juniors next year and we both started as sophmores this past season on varsity.

gbpackers0065
04-23-2007, 06:26 PM
its only a demotion if you let it be, if you tune your skills toward center and become as good at that than you were as guard then by no means is it a demotion

frogstomp
why is that?

It's pretty obvious, isn't it?

RaiderNation
id kill u guys in bball.......http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/desifool2cool4ya/Ballin.gif

princefielder28
yeah we run a flexbone, hes gonna be the quick guard.... we are both gonna be juniors next year and we both started as sophmores this past season on varsity.

Just continue to work hard and make the most of your oppurtunity at center. The coach is doing what he feels is best for the team and you continue to start b/c he trusts your abilities as a linemen.

Primetime21
04-23-2007, 06:27 PM
That makes no sense what so ever. If he ran faster than he should be at center since he would most likely pull more(nevermind you answed this). Also 6'0 175 is very skinny center. When I was a freshman in highschool I was 5'10 160 and ran a 4.9.

To answer your question, I will I will ask you a question. Do you enjoy having the occasional sweaty hand placed under your anus, if you do CONGRATS on being center.

BufFan71
04-23-2007, 06:29 PM
yeah, in our offense doesnt pull the center, mostly the quick guard...
like i did a pretty good job, in our 10 games last year when we watched tape i scored the highest on about 8 games on how good we did.
and i wanna do wats best for the team

gbpackers0065
04-23-2007, 06:29 PM
id kill u guys in bball.......http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/desifool2cool4ya/Ballin.gif

im by far the best bball player on this site

eaglesalltheway
04-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Actually, you should take it as a compliment. The center is the QB of the offensive line. You are trusted with informing the rest of your line a majority of the blocking responsibilties. Your coach probably views you as a smart football player. I don't know if that is the case, but that is how I see it. I was a linemen in the youth leagues, but since I basically never grew, (I am 5'7" now) and had good quickness, I was moved to FB and LB. I played all of the positions on O-line, and center was my favorite. You just have to be ready to take on the extra responsibilities. Good luck and kick some a$$.

islandboy843
04-23-2007, 07:04 PM
You should accept it as a new mission. This year i had to play all postions on the o-line including TE. It didnt matter to me where i was at. I only cared about was getting better and contributing to the team. You should too.

jagsfreak27
04-23-2007, 07:07 PM
How the Fu#k is that a demotion?

Xonraider
04-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Center is more important.. he is the leader of the line and often needs to read defenses.

themaninblack
04-23-2007, 07:09 PM
centers are usually some of the more athletic/tough/smart guys on the offensive line. Being a guard would be a demotion IMO, but im a Center.

BufFan71
04-23-2007, 07:23 PM
yeah i guess ur right, i did win an award for the highest GPA

and he had me at quick guard b/c it had more to do with blitz pick-ups and stuf

but i guess yur right about being the QB of the oline and, knowing everything

GiantRutgersFan
04-23-2007, 07:39 PM
centers are usually some of the more athletic/tough/smart guys on the offensive line. Being a guard would be a demotion IMO, but im a Center.

Indeed....

I was a Varsity tackle Frosh and Sophmore years. then the senior who was center graduated and I moved over.

I certainly didnt see it as a demotion. The center before me was a captain, and I became a captain junior/senior years.

And I definitly think center worked out better for me. Soph year I got no awards on offense (2nd team all league honorable mention on D)....

Junior year, when I switched to center, 2nd team all league on offense. Senior year first team all league on offense.

Its just what you make of it. But then again, im guessing unless your terrible or fat, your gonna be a better linemen then a 175 lb guy if your 240

BufFan71
04-23-2007, 07:52 PM
oh no, im not terrible or fat, well i got some weight, but dont all offensive linemen do?lol

GiantRutgersFan
04-23-2007, 09:12 PM
oh no, im not terrible or fat, well i got some weight, but dont all offensive linemen do?lol

Yea. I wasnt saying that, I was just saying that I doubt its a demotion at all because I seriously doubt that a guy who wieghs 175 can do as good a job at guard as a guy who wieghs 240.

JF4
04-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Maybe the fact that you have 65 pounds on him is why he ran a better 40 and come on now, a center who's 175 pounds???? I'm 180 and I play DB.

draftguru151
04-23-2007, 09:20 PM
C>>>>>>>>>G. Easily.

Titans10
if your on the field does it really matter where you play

Bengals1690
kick ass wherever you play. I dont play football but i play rugby. I start at Fly half, but Coach puts me everywhere on the backline, and I just bust my ass and make plays no matter where im at. its not a demotion unless you go to the bench.

04-23-2007, 09:31 PM
LT>C>>>RT>>>>>>>G

themaninblack
04-23-2007, 10:05 PM
LT in HS isnt as valued as it is in the NFL or college. believe me our LT was our worst offensive lineman and we broke the record for least sacks allowed in a season by 7. prolly cause most OLB's in hs football aren't nearly as athletic as NFL ones and no one really does many exotic outside blitzes.

JK17
04-23-2007, 10:19 PM
LT>C>>>RT>>>>>>>G

I don't think that's necesarily true of high school football. A lot of times in high school offense the blocking is centered around the ability of the guards to make their blocks. We ran a wing T where I played and almost every play was dependent on the guard being able to kick out, or trap, or seal a linebacker. In the NFL that may hold true, but at high school there isn't as much of a hierarchy at the O-Line.

Oh and to the original poster, nah of course its not a demotion. Coaches move players around because it makes the team better not necesarily because they haven't been doing as good. Our best linemen played next to me at RT all my junior (his sophomore) year, but they had to move him to LT my senior year becasue we couldn't find someone to block the blind side. On the flip side, I had a friend who was a dominant G but had to be moved to C because it made more sense to promote the backup Guard, than the backup center. As long as you're still starting and playing well, you got nothing to worry about.

Billingsley26
04-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Ya seriously man listen to these guys. Going through HS I mostly played LB and TE, I was 6'2-3 210, and depending on the defense we played I would play LB, DE, or even drop as a safety. I just love football. Its didnt hurt that I ran about a 4.7, so ocassionly I lined up as a slot or even WR at times. If you love the game, dont even worry about it, your playing and thats a plus. Keep working hard and you never know what can come.