PDA

View Full Version : 5 Days from Draft Day . . . Who do you want?

Xiomera
04-23-2007, 06:42 PM
We are now just five days away from the draft . . . who do you want us to walk away from round one having drafted? All things considered . . .

Xiomera
04-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Call me crazy, but I want Joe Thomas.

I am becoming more and more in opposition to the selection of Gaines Adams. I don't like his character concerns and I don't like all the reports of him being lazy and unfocused. I also see a fairly significant bust factor with him. He may well be the best pass-rusher in the draft, but if he can't hold up against the run, then I don't think he warrants a top 5 pick.

Thomas is a better choice, IMO, despite the fact that I want to see us build the defense. He would solidify the Offensive Line for a long time. And I don't have much confidence in George Foster (who by the way is a free agent next season).

I don't want us to pick Thomas at 2 obviously, but if we deal down to four, that's who I want to take. Call me crazy, but that's how I feel as of right now.

I think we can get a very good DE in round 2.

asmitty45
04-23-2007, 06:52 PM
P Willis, No Doubt about it. He would set off our defense and trading down for him would allow us to acquire more picks.

Here's my list:

1. PWillis
2. LLandry
3. GAdams
4. CJ21
5. Joe Thomas
6. JaMarcus Russell
192838474837. Brady Quinn (id rather have maurice clarett)

Xiomera
04-23-2007, 06:56 PM
My list . . . well I have two lists:

If we have to stay at two (for whatever reason):

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Joe Thomas

If we can deal down in the top 10:
1. Joe Thomas
2. Patrick Willis
3. Brady Quinn
4. LaRon Landry
5. Gaines Adams

I know it might seem ridiculous to some of you, but something clicked in my mind today, and I do not want Gaines Adams.

mgoblue
04-23-2007, 07:11 PM
1.Calvin Johnson
2.CJ
3.CJ21
4.CJesus
5.that one wr from GT with no weakness....no not reggie ball the other one

WMD
04-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Coming out of Round 1, i'll be very happy with Patrick Willis. Happy with LaRon Landry, or Calvin Johnson.. Satisfied with Brady Quinn or Gaines Adams.. Disappointed with Joe Thomas.

I love Patrick Willis, plus trading down far enough to get him
would likely get us more picks, which is always good too.. I think that the draft is very DE deep, enough to where we can get a very good one in Round 2 or even 3... The same can't be said for the MLB position. Also, Gaines Adams is too similar to Kalimba Edwards for my liking.. I'd rather avoid him.

asmitty45
04-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Coming out of Round 1, i'll be very happy with Patrick Willis. Happy with LaRon Landry, or Calvin Johnson.. Satisfied with Brady Quinn or Gaines Adams.. Disappointed with Joe Thomas.

I love Patrick Willis, plus trading down far enough to get him
would likely get us more picks, which is always good too.. I think that the draft is very DE deep, enough to where we can get a very good one in Round 2 or even 3... The same can't be said for the MLB position. Also, Gaines Adams is too similar to Kalimba Edwards for my liking.. I'd rather avoid him.

Good point about Kalimba, never really looked at Gaines that way. but i still like him more than most others.

Scotty D
04-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Mainly I want the defense addressed. Most of the first day and the draft should focus on it.

My big board right now is

1.Gaines Adams
2.Calvin Johnson
3.Patrick Willis

Xiomera
04-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Good point about Kalimba, never really looked at Gaines that way. but i still like him more than most others.

I have always viewed Gaines as Kalimba pt. 2

I would love to get Willis in a deal down. But if we are picking in the top 5, I want Thomas.

TwO WoRdS ThE LiOnS
04-23-2007, 08:43 PM
This is my first post because I have been looking for a good NFL message board and I hope this is a good active one.

Anyway even tho the Lions passed on Leinart last year I like Ernie Sims who could become the Derrick Brooks of the defense. Sims had a great rookie season and if he continues he could turn into a special player.

As far as this year's draft I think any of these guys could help the Lions and I wouldn't mind seeing either of these players taken 2nd overall or whatever position they pick....

JaMarcus Russell
Brady Quinn
Gaines Adams
Patrick Willis
Laron Landry
Calvin Johnson

I think either Russell or Quinn would be a great fit in Martz system and with this year as a learning year getting tutored by Kitna we will have our quarterback of the future good to go.

Gaines Adams especially learning from Rod Marinelli could become the next Simeon Rice and our next top pass rusher since Robert Porcher.

Willis will solidify our middle linebacker position and would definitely spell Lehman and Lenon.

I mean the only reason I see the Lions taking Landry is if they trade down and everyone on my list is taken and they are going for best value. I do believe by looking at many mock drafts that Willis will still be on the board even after the top 10. Landry would be our playmaker and probably make Kennedy the force he once was but the Lions already have Daniel Bullocks at the free safety position.

Johnson is the most talked about player in the draft and if he is there at #2 it will be tough to pass on an athlete like him. I know Lions fans like me can't imagine how dangerous a trio of Roy Williams-Calvin Johnson-Mike Furrey would be? The only knock everyone knows is the history of the Lions taking receivers in the first round w/ the exception of Roy Williams. I know Kitna wouldn't mind if the Lions took CJ as another weapon in the arsenal.

The recent mock draft on here has the Lions taking...
1st round: Gaines Adams
2nd round: Trent Edwards
3rd round: Justin Durant

I would love to see the Lions draft go like that, I already mentioned Adams but i've read Edwards stock is rising and even if we don't end up w/ Russell or Quinn this draft is somewhat stocked w/ potential QB's. I've also read that Durant is a great fit for the cover 2 defense, so even if we miss out on Willis Durant would fill the middle linebacker position.

Anyway the draft is less than 5 days away, we'll see if Millen can make up for past mistakes. HoLLa baCk

Scotty D
04-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Most fans have a general consensous of who they think their team should take. I just look it was interesting to look at the poll results.

mad36092
04-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Patrick Willis because of the importance of an ILB in the Cover 2 defense.

TwO WoRdS ThE LiOnS
04-23-2007, 10:22 PM
The more I think about it if Russell gets passed by the Raiders then the Lions should take him. But Gaines Adams seems like the safest pick for the Lions, because as I said in my 1st post Justin Durant will be available in the next 2 rounds and if what the scouts said are true he is more of a better fit in the Cover 2 defense. Dewayne White solidifys the right end while Adams will take the left and Sims and Durant will have the freedom to roam the field. HoLLa baCk

WMD
04-23-2007, 10:29 PM
I don't think Gaines Adams is safe at all.. I'd rather take a DE in Round 2.

Aard
04-23-2007, 10:31 PM
I want to see the Lions swap with Atlanta and draft Patrick Willis at 1.08.

I want to see Detroit grab DE Anthony Spencer with the #34 pick and add OG Ben Grubbs or OG Justin Blalock with Atlanta's #39 pick.

After that, it's all gravy. Could Eric Weddle slide to us in the third round?

WMD
04-23-2007, 10:35 PM
I doubt Weddle will make it to Round 3. It's always possible, but his stock seems to be going up rather than down.

jbombul
04-23-2007, 10:45 PM
yea i agree i heard the pats could even snag him in the first

Xiomera
04-23-2007, 10:48 PM
I doubt Weddle will make it to Round 3. It's always possible, but his stock seems to be going up rather than down.

He won't make it past the middle of round 2.

ThEvIcTR
04-23-2007, 11:26 PM
Yeah i was thinking that the pats were gonna pick him up with their 2nd first round pick. Weedle to me just seems like he has everything the pats look for. He is a play maker with has a total of 27 turnovers, he is extremely versatile, and he is a character guy who works very hard.

iKNOW
04-24-2007, 12:07 AM
joe thomas has alligator arms and small hands. gaines adams reminds me of edwards. russell seems to like the buffets too much. quinn seems like the classic overachiever.

landry looks solid but a bit high. johnson is the real deal and should be tops on everyone's board. willis seems like a pretty solid pick but i think its way too high for a LB.

P-L
04-24-2007, 12:09 AM
I'd like JaMarcus Russell actually. We can draft him, he can sit for a year and learn the system, and then he take over the reigns in 2008. That is assuming that he makes it past the Raiders, which seems unlikely. We're going to need to a QB of the future eventually and I personally like him more than Brian Brohm, Chad Henne, John David Booty, or Colt Brennan next year. As far as this year goes, the only non-1st Round QB I like is Kevin Kolb, and I don't think he's a fit for our offense. Call me crazy, but I want JaMarcus.

raidersfan86
04-24-2007, 12:10 AM
trade down for landry

WMD
04-24-2007, 12:11 AM
landry looks solid but a bit high. johnson is the real deal and should be tops on everyone's board. willis seems like a pretty solid pick but i think its way too high for a LB.

Oh, I agree.. if we stay at #2, I think the pick has to be Calvin Johnson. If we trade down, I want Landry or Willis. No way do I want to touch either of them at #2, though.

The King
04-24-2007, 12:12 AM
So do most of you guys dislike Quinn because you are UMich or MSU fans and hate ND and look at all the flaws of Quinn? Because for the last 4 years you had to hate Quinn and it rubs off. I am kind of the same way on Henne and Stanton. I just look at Stanton as a guy who never really did much at MSU, and Henne as a guy who had Edwards and Super Mario along side a damn good college rb.

Jagonsucker
04-24-2007, 12:18 AM
1. Patrick Willis
2. LaRon Landry
3. Calvin Johnson
4. JaMarcus Russell
5. Joe Thomas
6. Gaines Adams
7. Brady Quinn

theres my list

woodnick
04-24-2007, 12:58 AM
There are way to many scenarios to mention but here is what I would do with a couple of them:

If we trade down with the Bucs at #4:
Thomas over Peterson over Adams

If we trade down to #8 or 9:
Willis then Landry then Hall then Anderson then Quinn

If we don't trade and draft #2:
CJ21 over Thomas over Russell over Peterson over Adams

Yeah I know a lot of people are going to call me crazy with how high I have Peterson valued, but if we got him we could unload Bell and put KJ on the PUP and then when he's healthy Duckett is a free agent and we have a two headed monster for the next OC after Martz leaves for a HC position and we get a guy who wants to control the game with running the ball and the play-action pass.

reinar
04-24-2007, 04:51 AM
I say pass on Peterson, I say pass on Quinn for sure, I say pass on Thomas just cause we got to much money in OT right now.

I say draft Adams if we are in the 2/4, willis if we are in the 5/10 and hall or landry if we are elsewhere.

IF, and I say IF we get any QB, get them in the 3rd, or the late 2nd if we pick up more than 1 extra pick (TB or ATL, possibly MIA have 2 second rounders to trade and all wanna move to get CJ or Quinn, so its highly possible.)

ESimsfan87
04-24-2007, 10:54 AM
I had a dream last night about the lions draft and we traded with ATL for their 8th and picked up willis. Basically the trade was #2 for ATL's 8, 39th and next year's first. Kiper was bitching about the Lions on tv but in the second we ended up with marcus mccauley with the first pick and drew stanton with the second second rounder. Then again that was just a dream. Millen and co. will probably pass over McCauley in the second. Damn...

woodnick
04-24-2007, 01:00 PM
I had a dream last night about the lions draft and we traded with ATL for their 8th and picked up willis. Basically the trade was #2 for ATL's 8, 39th and next year's first. Kiper was bitching about the Lions on tv but in the second we ended up with marcus mccauley with the first pick and drew stanton with the second second rounder. Then again that was just a dream. Millen and co. will probably pass over McCauley in the second. Damn...

It was the d-line coach, not o.

woodnick
04-24-2007, 01:02 PM
I say pass on Peterson, I say pass on Quinn for sure, I say pass on Thomas just cause we got to much money in OT right now.

I say draft Adams if we are in the 2/4, willis if we are in the 5/10 and hall or landry if we are elsewhere.

IF, and I say IF we get any QB, get them in the 3rd, or the late 2nd if we pick up more than 1 extra pick (TB or ATL, possibly MIA have 2 second rounders to trade and all wanna move to get CJ or Quinn, so its highly possible.)

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we have more money invested in DE right now then OT.

WMD
04-24-2007, 05:15 PM
If we picked Joe Thomas, we'd be paying him the money that a Left Tackle makes.. but he'd be playing Right Tackle.

Scotty D
04-24-2007, 05:38 PM
If we picked Joe Thomas, we'd be paying him the money that a Left Tackle makes.. but he'd be playing Right Tackle.

Now if we could get him at 4 it would be slightly cheaper. Still expensive though.

woodnick
04-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Now if we could get him at 4 it would be slightly cheaper. Still expensive though.

So would a de, the money is slotted for the drafted spot not really for the position they play. If you want to know what Thomas would cost at #4, just look at what Ferguson got last year and add roughly 5%. That's also what Adams would cost.

Michigan
04-24-2007, 07:45 PM
@2:
1. JaMarcus Russell
2. Joe Thomas
3. Calvin Johnson

@4:
1. Joe Thomas
2. Patrick Willis
3. LaRon Landry

@8:
1. Patrick Willis
2. LaRon Landry
3. Gaines Adams

woodnick
04-24-2007, 07:47 PM
@2:
1. JaMarcus Russell
2. Joe Thomas
3. Calvin Johnson

@4:
1. Joe Thomas
2. Patrick Willis
3. LaRon Landry

@8:
1. Patrick Willis
2. LaRon Landry
3. Gaines Adams

No love for Gaines Adams!

Michigan
04-24-2007, 07:49 PM
No love for Gaines Adams!

he weighs less than kalimba edwards. let that soak in for a few seconds.

woodnick
04-24-2007, 08:00 PM
he weighs less than kalimba edwards. let that soak in for a few seconds.

He's also only going to be a rookie, so he hasn't been in the league and able to be in a weight program like the pros run.

familyguy555
04-24-2007, 08:00 PM
basically i wouldn't mind the following:

Adams
Willis
Landry...

would hate
Quinn
Thomas
CJ
Russell

Fresh
04-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Brady Quinn,Let Jon Kitna play the whole season. Quinn plays next year,just like Kitna did back in Cincy with Palmer. And the Bucs get CJ http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

WMD
04-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Whoa how could you hate having CJ? That's 10000% Insanity!

LitoSheppard
04-24-2007, 09:22 PM
I like the Lions, but whatever makes the rest of the draft give the Eagles Michael Griffin Or Jarvis Moss, i know your going to pull off Willis or Gaines Adams