PDA

View Full Version : Official Golf thread

steelersfan43
04-24-2007, 12:53 AM
Any golfers on here? Im not a serious golfer, but Ive always liked it, just bought some good clubs, gonna go golfing this weekend. Theres a nice course not to far from my house, should be fun.

tEk
04-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Any golfers on here? Im not a serious golfer, but Ive always liked it, just bought some good clubs, gonna go golfing this weekend. Theres a nice course not to far from my house, should be fun.
im an avid golfer. good clubs. . . what might those be?

btw. all the money in the world can't buy a swing.

steelersfan43
04-24-2007, 12:58 AM
im an avid golfer. good clubs. . . what might those be?

btw. all the money in the world can't buy a swing.

Well, they may not be too nice comparatively, but I like them. They have good weight, nice feel, and fit me well. I like em. Normaly I would just play with other peoples, its nice to have some That fit me perfectly.

tEk
04-24-2007, 01:00 AM
Well, they may not be too nice comparatively, but I like them. They have good weight, nice feel, and fit me well. I like em. Normaly I would just play with other peoples, its nice to have some That fit me perfectly.
if you have properly fitted clubs they will exponentially help your game. they help set you up to properly swing the club.

snuff
04-24-2007, 01:03 AM
I use to play, and played a little with friends over the summer, but I have no clubs at college.

Windy
04-24-2007, 01:05 AM
The Greatest Of All Time

http://i.pga.com/pga/images/rydercup/2006/photos/team/montgomerie.jpg

M.O.T.H.
04-24-2007, 01:07 AM
I've never actually played a real game but, am looking forward to in the near future. Last year I went to the driving range about twice a week with a couple of friends. Weather is finally nice... I was actually thinking about going to the range yesterday. Gotta get back there.

tEk
04-24-2007, 01:07 AM
I use to play, and played a little with friends over the summer, but I have no clubs at college.here's something i learned in high school but will easily transfer to college.

go to the local country club. not the golf course. COUNTRY CLUB! have a pick-up truck and a friend handy. either you or your friend idle the truck and the other(being you or your friend, whomever is more athletic) "caddy". chuck 2 bags of clubs in the back of the truck and tear ass across the parking lot.

in the end you get.

2 complete sets of clubs, 2 pairs of shoes, lots of golf balls, tees, and possibly golf shirts. ALL IN EXCELLENT CONDITION AND OF GREAT QUALITY!

you can do this at a local public links but you dont get half the haul and end up throwing the clubs away anyhow.

M.O.T.H.
04-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Just wait until Romo retires... he'll take the golfing world by storm. If Tiger is still playing, he may need a rival.

tEk
04-24-2007, 01:08 AM
The Greatest Of All Time

http://i.pga.com/pga/images/rydercup/2006/photos/team/montgomerie.jpgyou should know you will be flamed for this. its down to two players. Monty is not one of the 2. you figure it out.

Windy
04-24-2007, 01:10 AM
you should know you will be flamed for this. its down to two players. Monty is not one of the 2. you figure it out.

It was obviously a joke. I don't know how it can be taken as otherwise.

tEk
04-24-2007, 01:11 AM
well some of these so called "golf enthusiasts" might as take you serous and we cant have them thinking that a crotchety old Scott is the best now can we?

M.O.T.H.
04-24-2007, 01:11 AM
I love that pick of Montgomery... kind of looks like BP. ha.

steelersfan43
04-24-2007, 01:15 AM
I love that pick of Montgomery... kind of looks like BP. ha.
Yea, thats who I thought it was, haha.

Im guessing thats where the tony romo thing came from :p

steelersfan43
04-24-2007, 01:18 AM
here's something i learned in high school but will easily transfer to college.

go to the local country club. not the golf course. COUNTRY CLUB! have a pick-up truck and a friend handy. either you or your friend idle the truck and the other(being you or your friend, whomever is more athletic) "caddy". chuck 2 bags of clubs in the back of the truck and tear ass across the parking lot.

in the end you get.

2 complete sets of clubs, 2 pairs of shoes, lots of golf balls, tees, and possibly golf shirts. ALL IN EXCELLENT CONDITION AND OF GREAT QUALITY!

you can do this at a local public links but you dont get half the haul and end up throwing the clubs away anyhow.

I hope you never did this, thats messed up...

M.O.T.H.
04-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Yea, thats who I thought it was, haha.

Im guessing thats where the tony romo thing came from :p

nah...no joke, Romo is a very good golfer. He nearly made the cut for the 2004 EDS Byron Nelson Championship and the U.S. Open. Probably the best golfer in the NFL.

steelersfan43
04-24-2007, 01:23 AM
nah...no joke, Romo is a very good golfer. He nearly made the cut for the 2004 EDS Byron Nelson Championship and the U.S. Open. Probably the best golfer in the NFL.

Hmm didnt know that:o

TH3
04-24-2007, 01:26 AM
I had a 6 handicap..... but i dont play much at all anymore

M.O.T.H.
04-24-2007, 01:29 AM
I had a 6 handicap..... but i dont play much at all anymore

My handicap would be so disgusting, haha. Seriously, I've only gone to the driving range and of course... i'm trying to hit it as far as i can not working on like accuracy for different distances or anything. I know I would suck but, i wanna play.

Moses
04-24-2007, 03:33 AM
I'm thinking about taking it up since I'll likely end up in business. That said, there are a lot of things about golf I can't stand so I'll have to decide if it's worth the headache.

bsaza2358
04-24-2007, 08:22 AM
I just started playing about 2 years ago, and I used to be absolutely horrendous. Like abysmal. I used to cheat and shoot a 140 on 18 holes. That's not really surprising, considering I have a baseball background, had no grip or swing, and I was rushing my strokes.

This past winter, I took lessons at the local range/golf course. It was a great deal. 10 weekly lessons for $200. You could only take 1 per week, and if you missed a session, tough luck. My teacher built my swing from the ground up. It took me 8 weeks to really figure it out, but the results were tremendous. I've played 27 holes of golf this season to date. In those 27 holes, I'm averaging a about a bogie per hole (99 on 18 holes, 50 on 9). I consider myself an above average athlete, so I can really hit. It was just the case of developing the proper muscle memory.

bsaza2358
04-24-2007, 08:24 AM
I do enjoy golf a great deal, of course. My friends and I sometimes play with our own handicap system. If you win a hole, you have to take a shot of tequila. If you split a hole, it's a half shot. The second par 3 of any round, we play closest to the hole off the tee. Closest shot takes a shot. So we don't die, we only play 9 holes under these rules, then we have lunch at the course restaurant to sober up.

tEk
04-24-2007, 09:58 AM
I do enjoy golf a great deal, of course. My friends and I sometimes play with our own handicap system. If you win a hole, you have to take a shot of tequila. If you split a hole, it's a half shot. The second par 3 of any round, we play closest to the hole off the tee. Closest shot takes a shot. So we don't die, we only play 9 holes under these rules, then we have lunch at the course restaurant to sober up.haha fun. i played similarly. but with beer instead. but it was like i bet i can knock it with in a club length of the hole from the greenside bunker. or long drive contest and the loser chuggs. good times. and yea the only way to really improve is to spend 200 bucks on lessons rather then 500 on a driver 1200 on a set of irons 200 on a putter. if you want to get better practice, but dont practice the same old bad swing otherwise you're just ingraining a terrible swing into your muscle memory. have a golf pro watch or maybe one of your buddies who is fairly decent at the game and have him give you a few pointers.

bsaza2358
04-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Well, I played for over a year with no idea, but I had spent $500 total on clubs (Calloway knockoff irons, used Big Bertha, and a decent Odyssey putter). I bought the package of lessons and started to improve, then a friend gave me his old 60 degree lob wedge, and my parents bought me a set of Tour Series Fairway Woods (3,5,7). My set is almost complete. I need a 52-54 degree longer wedge, and I'm currently in the market. Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap (read: under $80) gap wedge?

TitleTown088
04-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Me, a golfcart,35 golfballs, and a homewrecker of Jack Daniels= golf.

bsaza2358
04-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Title, you forgot to mention clubs. Maybe it's the Jack talking...

TitleTown088
04-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Title, you forgot to mention clubs. Maybe it's the Jack talking...

I don't golf. I just do the driving for everyone else with my jack and coke in hand. I successfully eliminate a couple of Canadian Geese with the cart each trip out.

bsaza2358
04-24-2007, 10:54 AM
On most of the courses I play on, you have to actually play, or they will kick you off. Either way, I salute you for destroying those geese. Those bastards ruin way too many parks and golf courses with their poop.

TitleTown088
04-24-2007, 11:32 AM
On most of the courses I play on, you have to actually play, or they will kick you off. Either way, I salute you for destroying those geese. Those bastards ruin way too many parks and golf courses with their poop.

Well then, you will appreciate the countless ones I kill with my benelli too.

bsaza2358
04-24-2007, 11:42 AM
You are my hero.

steelersfan43
04-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Ever realize that they have to ruin your course, because you destroyed their environment?

tEk
04-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Ever realize that they have to ruin your course, because you destroyed their environment?
this is the golf thread no the environmental thread.

anyways gonna get sized up for some new irons. i want to see what ones fit my game best. ill post which ones i end up with.

EvilMonkey
04-24-2007, 11:27 PM
ah, golf. A summer passion of mine..

Still in college and have 1 more summer of working at a golf course and getting free golf whenever I want. Best summer job a student can have: free golf with carts, free balls when you find them in the long grass, half-price beer in the clubhouse, done by about 2 every day, just awesome. Only problem is gotta work weekends a lot but i just drink til 5 and sober up while cutting grass.

Also on the geese, the course i work at actually had guys just go out 1 night before i started working there when it was dark and shoot them. Absolutely ridiculous but I'm not in charge and i'm not gonna complain because the geese population is doin just fine.

bsaza2358
04-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Canadian Geese eat so much garbage (literally leftovers from humans) that they have grown too big and fat to fly, so they live year round in these open areas. Since good golf courses also have open water for them to use, they try to stay. It is unfortunate for all. I hate stepping in their poop, but other than that, they don't really bother me.

TitleTown088
04-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Silence hippie, no one wants to hear your earth mumbo jumbo.

bored of education
04-25-2007, 10:12 AM
i have an 8 handicap. my fav. golfers are ernie els and retief goosen.

ATLDirtyBirds
04-25-2007, 10:44 AM
I've never actually played a game of golf, but during the summer I go to the driving range once or twice a week. Good way to kill some time, or to take out frustrastion.

Scott Wright
04-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Ooh, I like this thread!

I love to golf, even though I suck. I actually found some time to get out and play nine yesterday and did okay so things might be looking up for me this year. I actually just joined a new course this year and it is ten times nicer than my old one so I am psyched about that!

bsaza2358
04-25-2007, 10:47 AM
I only play at public and semi-private courses. Rent is expensive enough around DC that most people can't afford country club stuff. Looks like Scott is doing well, though. Must be nice to be a draft maven like him...

bsaza2358
04-25-2007, 10:50 AM
What kind of clubs does everyone carry? I have Calloway knockoff irons, a Big Bertha driver, an Odyssey putter, and Taylor Made Metal fairway woods with graphite shafts. I also carry an old Cleveland Tour Wedge at 60 degree loft. I need to grab myself a 52-54 degree wedge for some longer shots, though.

Scott Wright
04-25-2007, 10:55 AM
I've got a Nike Sasquach driver, a set of Ping Eye 2 (black) irons and my old putter that I have had forever.

bsaza2358
04-25-2007, 11:01 AM
I tried my friend's Sasquatch, and that thing hits really nicely. I love my Bertha, though. I'm thinking of getting a used 2007 Bertha once the 2008's come in. My 2005 version is starting to give a little, and I want more oomph. I can still pound the ball 225-250 with the Bertha.

Freddy G
04-25-2007, 12:48 PM
I played golf in HS (still do, just not on a competitive level). I made it to states (FL) my jr. year (got smoked in the first round though). I don't really follow it, as it is unberably boring to watch, but yeah, i really like to play.

Also, if there are any guys from FL here, do you hate it when that big gust of wind kicks up off the gulf (or atlantic i guess) while your ball is still in flight? Made it tough to keep it on the course at times.

bsaza2358
04-25-2007, 12:56 PM
I guess you could chalk up wind to the elements. At least you get mostly flat courses in Florida and can play year round. The comfortable DC golf season is from mid March to mid October, and many of the courses are very hilly. Hitting on slopes is quite challenging.

JF4
04-25-2007, 02:25 PM
I've got a Nike Sasquach driver, a set of Ping Eye 2 (black) irons and my old putter that I have had forever.

I got the Nike Sasquatch too and I love it, I've been a lot longer since I got it. I also have a set of ping irons and a new putter that I just got at a golf show this winter.

CherryGarcia510
04-25-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm an avid golfer, love the game

bsaza2358
04-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Does anyone have recommendations for a cheap (read: $100 or less) lob wedge? I need a 52-54 degree wedge, and there are a lot of them out there. I can hit 65 yards and stick a shot with a full swing of my 60 degree tour wedge, so I really want something for the sand and for some 80-90 yarders. I don't like the spin and loft off my pitching wedge.