PDA

View Full Version : According to Peter King and Mort.....

Bootland27
04-24-2007, 11:53 AM
The best in the business believe that it wouldn't be shocking if they can trade down. But more likely than not the lions will be stuck at 2 according to those guys.

Xiomera
04-24-2007, 12:03 PM
The best in the business believe that it wouldn't be shocking if they can trade down. But more likely than not the lions will be stuck at 2 according to those guys.

Bologna . . .

Bootland27
04-24-2007, 12:12 PM
They re-played the interview which took place this morning.

He claims that why would TB mortgage their picks to move up to get CJ and pay him an additional $3 mil per yr (the alleged difference in drafting from #2 and #4 slots) when there is a 50-50 shot at getting him at 4 anyways and a smaller cap number to boot.

Xiomera
04-24-2007, 12:29 PM
They re-played the interview which took place this morning.

He claims that why would TB mortgage their picks to move up to get CJ and pay him an additional $3 mil per yr (the alleged difference in drafting from #2 and #4 slots) when there is a 50-50 shot at getting him at 4 anyways and a smaller cap number to boot.

I hear all kinds of reports from similar NFL experts, and they claim that CJ has no chance of being there at 4 and Tampa is delusional to think he would be.

Someone will deal up. Detroit's top priority is dealing down. I think they will do it at all costs, whether its with Tampa or not.

Detroit would accept considerably less than what the trade value chart says they deserve because moving down from 2 to 4 and getting anything is essentially free, considering he would be the pick at 2 or 4.

Read Kowalski's blog from today, he discusses this.

Iamcanadian
04-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Remember, King picked Detroit to win their Division last year so his football knowledge is very limited. If Tampa wants Johnson, the money won't matter and they won't risk Detroit trading with somebody else. That's the beauty of the 15 minute pressure cooker prior to the selection. Both teams are under the gun and a trade often occurs especially for a talent like Johnson. The pressure cooker almost guarantees that Detroit will receive equal compensation, the pressure on Tampa to accept a reasonable trade is intense as Detroit will say they have Atlanta on the other phone with a very firm offer. It will be take it or leave it Tampa and I think they take it. Millen isn't goingt to accept a trade without getting solid compensation, he's heard enough bad press and doesn't want to hear for another year how Tampa got the best of him. If pressed to the wall, He'll take Johnson which would satisfy Martz and live with the consequences.

keylime_5
04-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Trading down in the first round is not easy, and it's WAY harder to trade down in the top 5. I would not be suprised to see Detroit stay at 2 and take Johnson

Bootland27
04-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Trading down in the first round is not easy, and it's WAY harder to trade down in the top 5. I would not be suprised to see Detroit stay at 2 and take Johnson

Thats basically what Mort said

Shiver
04-24-2007, 12:39 PM
I have a feeling Detroit will do anything to trade down, even if it isn't perfect on the "value chart." So if Tampa Bay wants to risk losing him to Atlanta, or Washington, or whomever, then they will have to live with it.

Bootland27
04-24-2007, 12:41 PM
I hear all kinds of reports from similar NFL experts, and they claim that CJ has no chance of being there at 4 and Tampa is delusional to think he would be.

Someone will deal up. Detroit's top priority is dealing down. I think they will do it at all costs, whether its with Tampa or not.

Detroit would accept considerably less than what the trade value chart says they deserve because moving down from 2 to 4 and getting anything is essentially free, considering he would be the pick at 2 or 4.

Read Kowalski's blog from today, he discusses this.

Now that I think of it, its the smart thing to do.

asmitty45
04-24-2007, 12:51 PM
We'll trade down regardless of what we get in return, i think we get a second and 3rd we'll move down. The value probably wont match the chart.

woodnick
04-24-2007, 01:14 PM
I think we'll get an offer from both Atl and TB and one of them will make a very generous offer for him, the question is what if ATL offer is better than TB but Millen has decided that he wants either Adams or Thomas who won't be there at 8. What does Millen do, take the better offer and miss out on the player he wants or take less than a great offer and get the guy he's after?

Shiver
04-24-2007, 01:38 PM
I wonder if this would work;

#8 (1400 points)
#39 (510 points)
#109 (76 points)
Houston's '08 2nd round pick (if counted as a mid-2nd pick, 400, give or take, points)

That would be a solid deal for Detroit, I think. It's probably more than Tampa Bay is willing to give up. Not to mention Arthur Blank is always eager to 'make a splash.'

woodnick
04-24-2007, 01:54 PM
I think that would work, however I would guess that the Falcons would try to trade their own 2008 2nd instead of Houstons because ATL probably feels that they'll be better than Houston next year.

Bootland27
04-24-2007, 04:34 PM
He said the Lions will draft Calvin Johnson at #2, if they don't get the offer that they want to trade down.

After the laughs and giggles from the other talking heads......Clayton said the Lions would try again to trade CJ after drafting him, but wouldn't be disappointed if they got stuck with him.

If Millen does what he has shown a propensity for doing--demanding more and more until the other team finally walks away, leaving Matt holding the bag because he pushed too much--I would buy this. You can't take Adams at 2, you certainly can't take Landry, and Leon Hall would get the Lions laughed out of the building.

Shiver
04-24-2007, 04:59 PM
All I know; Petrino wants Vick to have more weapons, Blank wants Vick to have more weapons. Arthur Blank is prone to make flashy moves. Trading for a player of a need position, and a home town hero no less, would be a major victory for him.

Shiver
04-24-2007, 09:48 PM
PFT predicted Atlanta trades for Calvin Johnson.

jbombul
04-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Remember, King picked Detroit to win their Division last year so his football knowledge is very limited. If Tampa wants Johnson, the money won't matter and they won't risk Detroit trading with somebody else. That's the beauty of the 15 minute pressure cooker prior to the selection. Both teams are under the gun and a trade often occurs especially for a talent like Johnson. The pressure cooker almost guarantees that Detroit will receive equal compensation, the pressure on Tampa to accept a reasonable trade is intense as Detroit will say they have Atlanta on the other phone with a very firm offer. It will be take it or leave it Tampa and I think they take it. Millen isn't goingt to accept a trade without getting solid compensation, he's heard enough bad press and doesn't want to hear for another year how Tampa got the best of him. If pressed to the wall, He'll take Johnson which would satisfy Martz and live with the consequences.

did i just read IAC giving millen some positive rep :)

reinar
04-24-2007, 11:38 PM
I think that once we Draft Cj, TB and ATL will be all over what they can give us to make their dreams come true.

what do you think is viable? what can we get from both? and where do you realistically see him landing? TB or ATL?

aaront22
04-25-2007, 02:23 AM
I agree guys if Millen can't move out of #2 pick he needs to draft CJ to gain leverage. He cannot take Adams at 2 just because it is the guy they want...the Lions have multiple holes to fill and need as many picks as possible. Worst case we have 3 very good WR's.

Addict
04-25-2007, 03:48 AM
did i just read IAC giving millen some positive rep :)

http://www.boffinms.com/~omega/hellFrozeOver.jpg

reinar
04-25-2007, 04:21 AM
well i tell you what, if that rumor (not sure where i saw or read it now) is correct, in that Millen isnt the one who made ALL the decisions of the drafts in previous years that went sour, and last years+ this years draft turns out to be as good as I think it is, then perhaps Millen does deserve a bit of a pardon.

im still very happy with our 3-13 season last year, the feelings on the sidelines, the 9 games by 7 poitns or less, the sheddingof bad players, and great free agency.

I tell you - i am pumped about 2007.

P-L
04-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Most expect that the Lions are going to have to deal for far less than what the value chart indicates. However, if there is a legit interest by Atlanta I wonder if the Lions could get the divisional foes in a battle for Calvin and see if one of them bites for fair value.

TRJ997
04-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Most expect that the Lions are going to have to deal for far less than what the value chart indicates. However, if there is a legit interest by Atlanta I wonder if the Lions could get the divisional foes in a battle for Calvin and see if one of them bites for fair value.

I think a lot of the talk about Atlanta offering fair value to trade up to #2 is smoke. Unfortunately for Detroit, TB and ATL are the only teams in the draft that could realistically move up, and if ATL isn't interested then DET is powerless in the negotations.

I'll be surprised if Detroit gets an offer higher than #4, 64, and 68, which would come to 2,320 according to the chart.

Addict
04-25-2007, 08:34 AM

hmmm that could be an option... good one!

On a slightly different note (don't know where else to put this) did anyone notice the complete lack of action in the Seahawks board? No new posts there for two full days... mind-boggling.

ironman4579
04-25-2007, 09:11 AM
http://www.boffinms.com/~omega/hellFrozeOver.jpg

remind me to give you rep for this later.

Anyway, hopefully, if the Lions can't/don't get an offer they feel is fair value, they will take CJ and look to deal him, or if not, keep him and see how things go. Hopefully, as has already been stated, they don't take Adams at 2 just because he's the guy they want(which I still wish wasn't the case, but whatever)

Addict
04-25-2007, 03:33 PM
remind me to give you rep for this later.

can't give any more for 24 hours ay?