PDA

View Full Version : What made you become a Buc fan?

-black
04-24-2007, 07:13 PM
interesting to see that there are people in different states and even overseas that have never even been to the Bay area, let alone Florida and are Bucs fans. I mean we arent a team with great tradition like the Cowboys or huge market like Philly, Chicago or New York, so why the Bucs?

For me, I live in the Bay area and I imitated my uncle when I was young. Never had a father so he was my father figure. He was a Florida State fan, so I did the tomahawk at like 3, he was a Buc fan, and I immediately starting cheering for the Bucs. First real memories I have is when Dungy was named the head coach and my uncle told me the important of it. He was an African American, and my uncle called it, he said Dungy is going to "make the Bucs good". He instilled in me my love for Derric Brooks and Dunn (2 noles) and ever since theen I have been a die hard fan (even through the orange and white days). I still remember like it was yesterday the first time I saw the new Bucs jerseys, and then my uncle buying me a jersey a few weeks later. He explained to me the importance of Raymound James but I didnt understand it at the time.

My hatred for Bret Favre started then too, as the Green Bay vs Tampa Bay rivalry started. Could never quite win in Lambeau but every game was great. Remember my first playoff game in 97 (I was there !!!) and the great feeling I had. LoL I thought we would win the super bowl, and then I remember the pain I felt when we lost to Green Bay. I think that was the first time I ever cried after a game (wouldnt be the last time tho, FSU vs UF in 97, and Miami in 02 brought a few tears out)

anyway, what made you become Buc fans (and or fans of ur fav college team?)

family tradition for me

what sucks is my other uncle is a Hurricane fan and a Dolphin fan. So if I would have spent more time with him, I would most likely be a Phin and scUM fan .......ewwwww

Fresh
04-24-2007, 08:28 PM
dad was a fan,coded in the dna. Im a fan,my son,when I have one will be a fan.

Caddy
04-24-2007, 08:52 PM
The thing that made me a Buccaneers fan was probably madden. Due to the limited exposure over here, madden was really the only way I ever learned the names of teams.

Not really a riveting story but I've been a Buc fan ever since and can't really complain.

-black
04-24-2007, 08:57 PM
but what made you choose the Bucs? colors? a specific player? picking a name out of a hat?

Tampa 2 4 life
04-24-2007, 09:13 PM
Born in Tampa Bay area.

Beans
04-24-2007, 09:42 PM
I like to root for the underdog, I guess, and that's what Tampa was in... mid-2001, apparently. :/

-black
04-24-2007, 09:57 PM
we were an underdog in 2001? we were basically everyones pick to win the NFC from 99 till 2002. Especially after getting Keyshawn, signing Simeon, and Brad Johnson in 2001. Thats the reason we let Dungy go, because we had so much expectations (as the top dog) but could not get it done in the playoffs. We were the underdogs prolly in 97 or 98

DraftMasterG
04-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Ahh i remember it like yesterday. I was walking down the streets of tampa when this old lady was getting beat up and her purse taken. There were 5 big thugs with guns and knifes about to kill her but i stepped in and was like "Hey stop it" they of course didnt take that lightly so they charged me with there knives. I being a 3rd Degree DragonDeath Taijutsu belt managed to fend off 3 of them but one stabbed me. I thought i was dead until Derrick Brooks and Warren Sapp came and speared them to the ground. After they killed the other 2 we helped the old lady and the other 3 guys accepted there punishment. I got my 201 stitches in my side and warren sapp and derrick brooks thought me as a hero and gave me front row tickets for Every Home bucs game. GO BUCS!!!!

Beans
04-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Ahh i remember it like yesterday. I was walking down the streets of tampa when this old lady was getting beat up and her purse taken. There were 5 big thugs with guns and knifes about to kill her but i stepped in and was like "Hey stop it" they of course didnt take that lightly so they charged me with there knives. I being a 3rd Degree DragonDeath Taijutsu belt managed to fend off 3 of them but one stabbed me. I thought i was dead until Derrick Brooks and Warren Sapp came and speared them to the ground. After they killed the other 2 we helped the old lady and the other 3 guys accepted there punishment. I got my 201 stitches in my side and warren sapp and derrick brooks thought me as a hero and gave me front row tickets for Every Home bucs game. GO BUCS!!!!

I think you forgot the part where John Lynch saved the Mayor from a dangling rickety bridge?

-black
04-24-2007, 10:35 PM
hmmmmm.....interesting

where they in pads?

Caddy
04-24-2007, 10:53 PM
but what made you choose the Bucs? colors? a specific player? picking a name out of a hat?

I am not honestly sure, this was over five years ago now and I can't really remember.

Nightmares Win 6-0
04-24-2007, 10:55 PM
super bowl xxxvii

Caddy
04-25-2007, 12:11 AM
super bowl xxxvii

I was a fan before the super bowl season

Merlin
04-25-2007, 06:50 AM
The Internet!

I've been following the NFL since 82, but never had a favourite team, I couldn't find anything that related me to a specific team, so I never chose one.

Being a player in England, I followed my favourite players, Largent, Monk, Payton, Craig, and when I got into coaching it evolved in to favourite Coordinators and coaches, Walsh, Infante, Holmgren, and more recently Moore and Weis.

I only joined the WWW a couple of years ago, so to enjoy the banter on forums and with my friends, I new I needed a team.

I decided on the Bucs for a few reasons, one was their not percieved as a "fashionable club", they/we, have the hottest cheerleaders in the lge, Gruden was a deciple of Holmgren and indirecltly Bill Walsh, Tampa would be a great place to see my team, (unlike mid-winter in Green Bay, or Chicago) and Raymond-James has a bloody great Pirate ship in it...lols, oh...and I love our colours.

Thats my story.

PS, fav college team is Notre Dame, because they were the first college team I ever saw.

etk
04-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Madden 2002: Best team, best defense, I started playing football myself, Derrick Brooks=favourite player. Wasn't a true fan really until late 2002 season (GB victory), then we won a Super Bowl months later.

Three Step Drop
04-25-2007, 07:40 AM
Visited Florida on a holiday 16 years ago and picked up on the team via the media - bought a Bucs t-shirt then and been following ever since.

Certainly been able to follow a lot more closely with the internet and Pontel game DVD's

ks_perfection
04-25-2007, 09:05 AM
Great Defence with Warren Sapp knocking the QB around. I loved watching Dunn run around defenders and Alstott running over defenders.

-black
04-25-2007, 09:49 AM
most of you are fairly new Buc fans.....

man i swear yall missed the 99 defense. IMO a better defense than in 2002. Sapp D MVP, and Brooks the runner up. That team was nasty

did any1 watch the Rams/Bucs game in 99? (as a casual fan?)

TRJ997
04-25-2007, 10:25 AM
I grew up in Illinois and was a Bear's fan like my dad. However, at that young age, I hadn't learned to really hate your division opponents, so I always rooted for other teams in the NFC Central (when they weren't playing the Bears). Then we moved to Florida in 1992 and I've been a fan ever since. I went to my first Bucs game in 2001 and I try to make 2 games a year plus playoffs.

bofadabizzles
04-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Born and raised in Tampa Bay

Chucky
04-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Believe it or not, it was actually an SI for kids article on Warren Sapp, JOhn Lynch and Derrick Brooks, i was young and it really got me into the team, this was pre-superbowl year by the way

Watchman
04-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Folks used to live outside of Tampa, and we'd go see the Bucs whenever I came home from college. I was an NFL fan before that, but never a fan of a particular team. Ever since those days I've been a Bucs fan. This was back in the Wyche days.