PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Mays 4.28 40

Jericho@SC
04-24-2007, 09:26 PM
According to Scott Wolf, Mays has said that he ran a 4.28 in the 40 during Spring Workouts.

I don't believe it myself, and you probably won't either. But remember that Mays was a three time State Track Champion in the 100 m in Washington.

If his real time is anywhere near that though, he'll have NFL scouts salivating over him in 2 years.

Michigan
04-24-2007, 09:31 PM
According to Scott Wolf, Mays has said that he ran a 4.28 in the 40 during Spring Workouts.

I don't believe it myself, and you probably won't either. But remember that Mays was a three time State Track Champion in the 100 m in Washington.

If his real time is anywhere near that though, he'll have NFL scouts salivating over him in 2 years.

scouts are already salivating over him

Newbs24
04-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Thats not fair. U$C doesn't need their talent to improve, they were good enough where they were. This blows. There is no God.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-24-2007, 10:59 PM
I don't believe it for one second..

RWFender1
04-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Fight on (10 char)

JC the Savior
04-24-2007, 11:19 PM
That is hard to believe

jballa838
04-24-2007, 11:25 PM
he should have went to UW. :(

bored of education
04-24-2007, 11:39 PM
i dont believe this for 4.28 seconds

soybean
04-24-2007, 11:44 PM
4.28?? it's impossible with his size, he's a giant. Maybe if he had a little more killer instinct, we'll see the first death in ncaaf.

thebow305
04-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Sean Taylor Part 2.

Minus the killer instinct.

Jericho@SC
04-24-2007, 11:47 PM
I didn't think you guys would believe it. But just think: if it's even close to that, then he'd be around 4.4, which is still ridiculous for a Free Safety.

4.4 is not unreasonable at all to me for this kid. He's a track star.

elway777
04-24-2007, 11:52 PM
Scott Wolf is an idiot. Even SC fans hate him.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Sean Taylor Part 2.

Minus the killer instinct.

Mays is soft.

Taylor is not.

elway777
04-25-2007, 12:07 AM
Mays can cover
Taylor can not

Besides he was a true freshman, and isn't even close to hitting his true potential.

moc182
04-25-2007, 12:20 AM
If the guy from Party of Five says it happened I believe it.

thebow305
04-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Mays can cover
Taylor can not

Besides he was a true freshman, and isn't even close to hitting his true potential.

Sean Taylor can't cover? BLASPHEMY! He flys all around the field, although he does not look for the ball as often as he sould, he is always there. Just a little too aggressive most of the time, but he can definitely cover.

draftguru151
04-25-2007, 08:38 AM
Elway I really hope you don't think Mays can cover better than Taylor and you were just joking.

You know who ran a 4.24 in spring a few years ago? Marcus Maxey. Who? Exactly.

DoWnThEfiElD
04-25-2007, 09:20 AM
It was hand-timed, im sure, which means it could be between 4.5 and 4.2, they chose closer to 4.2. Mays has a long way to go before he is 1/2 the Safety Taylor was in college.

thebow305
04-25-2007, 09:52 AM
It was hand-timed, im sure, which means it could be between 4.5 and 4.2, they chose closer to 4.2. Mays has a long way to go before he is 1/2 the Safety Taylor was in college.

EXACTLY...

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Mays can cover
Taylor can not

I'm not taking shots @ Mays.. I like him.. He's obviously a freak.

But the Taylor comparsion is really really bad IMO.

Sniper
04-25-2007, 12:10 PM
No, it is true that Sean Taylor can't cover that well. He's more of a Roy Williams in the box type of player, (let's not kid ourselves though Taylor is a much better cover guy than Williams), but good God can he hit. I think Taylor is still looking for his jock from when Stallworth double-moved him this year

remix 6
04-25-2007, 12:17 PM
No, it is true that Sean Taylor can't cover that well. He's more of a Roy Williams in the box type of player, (let's not kid ourselves though Taylor is a much better cover guy than Williams), but good God can he hit. I think Taylor is still looking for his jock from when Stallworth double-moved him this year

do u know who Sean Taylor is? ..doesnt sound like it

vatech=accdomination
04-25-2007, 12:31 PM
had he gone to VT, it would have been a 4.16.

BaLLiN
04-25-2007, 01:00 PM
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1758925
It says 4.5 and is not tough, so he's not a Sean Taylor yet, but he has almost everything else. I bet he got a 4.4 or 4.35 at best and I think that you are right about the hand timed, they probably are hyping him, this sort of thing happens a lot.

snuff
04-25-2007, 01:45 PM
He ran a 4.59 at a rivals event in HS... Yeah cutting off .31 seems reasonable.

constant cough
04-25-2007, 03:33 PM
He looked really good the few USC games I saw last year. I thought he stood out on defense. I can easily see him being a 1st rounder for sure.

Ho0k Em'
04-25-2007, 05:19 PM
mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sniper
04-25-2007, 05:21 PM
do u know who Sean Taylor is? ..doesnt sound like it

I do know who Sean Taylor is. The lingering image of him covering someone I have is Stallworth juking the crap out of him and scampering for a TD. Maybe I need to watch more Skins games, sorry

elway777
04-25-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm not taking shots @ Mays.. I like him.. He's obviously a freak.

But the Taylor comparsion is really really bad IMO.

Well the comparison is just coming from the size and speed obviously.

Anybody who has watched Mays this spring knows how much his game has matured. Im excited to see him play this year.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Well the comparison is just coming from the size and speed obviously.

Anybody who has watched Mays this spring knows how much his game has matured. Im excited to see him play this year.

He seemed soft to me last year.. But you have definitely seen him more than me.

& Taylor is the exact opposite of soft.. That's why I didn't like the comparsion.

YAYareaRB
04-25-2007, 07:44 PM
he should have went to UW. :(

Don't worry.. My brother Mason Foster is coming!

JoeMontainya
04-25-2007, 07:51 PM

Every single prospect says they run under 4.4, but come combine time, it doesnt happen that often. Ted Ginn is 100X faster than Mays and he didnt even run that fast. Noone should argue Mays being faster than Ginn.

04-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Mays was a stand out at Saftey Postion and really helped out our Secondary. He was a true Freshman last year and he is gonna be better this year. Comparing him to Sean Taylor is a good comparison. He's got his size and speed. He may not hit like him yet, but like I said he's a true Freshman and he will only get better. Scott Ware a few years back wasn't all that big of a hitter, but In his Senior he hit the sh!t out of people. Mays will be a Taylor type and be Drafted in the First Round. We are...SC! Fight On!

DoWnThEfiElD
04-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Mays will be a good comparison to Taylor once he plays like him and its not just based on size and speed ok? I don't care if he was a true frosh last year, he hasn't done anything that warrents a comparison to Taylor beyond looking the part. A lot of guys look the part.

snuff
04-25-2007, 10:55 PM
No matter how you cut it Antwaine (sp) Perez would of made a better Safety, had he not gotten hurt, but now he is lost in the middle of no where at I believe Rutgers.

jballa838
04-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Don't worry.. My brother Mason Foster is coming!
nice. (10 char.)

lbmtrojan
04-26-2007, 07:04 AM
Wow, we sure have cannonized Sean Taylor. As a true freshman Taylor was a nickle/dime back. Mays was the starter. Mays was a 2nd team Sporting News AA as a true freshman. I would say it's more than relevant to compare the two when looking at both at similar points in thier career. Heck, I'd say Mays is a year ahead of Taylor so far in development.

Also, it's really great that Taylor can hit so hard, but I'm pretty sure the point is to get the opponent on the ground. Taylor often times tries for the big hit at the expense of the sure tackle.

Also, I don't believe Mays rana 4.28. I'd believe it more if it was 4.48, which is still pretty fast. BTW Taylor ran a 4.49 at 6'2 230 pounds. Mays is 6'4 225. Oh yeah, and didn't Calvin Johnson, at 6'5 239 pounds, just run a 4.35 40? So perhaps Mays is close to Johnson's speed...

songofthesword
04-29-2007, 06:32 PM
i'm so glad arkansas doesn't play SC anymore

reese
05-15-2007, 03:43 AM
sean taylor can cover and whoever says he cant doesnt watch him play....and just becuz he got beat on a double move by stallworth doesnt mean he cant cover either....i remember champ bailey gettin shook out of his cleats by t.o. that doesnt mean he cant cover does it?

05-16-2007, 02:24 PM
i'm so glad arkansas doesn't play SC anymore

Yep we own you in all Sports.

tEk
05-17-2007, 04:56 PM
FSU backed out of the non-conference game this year so we get to trounce idaho. YEAH!

energizerbunny
05-17-2007, 05:00 PM
whenever I saw him play last year he looked no where near that fast. But he was a track star so its pretty believable.

reese
05-17-2007, 05:14 PM
everyone knows timed speed and game speed is totally different...so just cuz he ran a 4.2 doesnt mean he plays that fast

dre1614
05-28-2007, 11:26 AM
sean taylor can cover and whoever says he cant doesnt watch him play....and just becuz he got beat on a double move by stallworth doesnt mean he cant cover either....i remember champ bailey gettin shook out of his cleats by t.o. that doesnt mean he cant cover does it?

no he can't, at least in the NFL he can't.

He is almost as bad as Roy Williams, in terms of coverage ability. Hell Patrick Crayton has burnt Sean Taylor twice in the last 2 years.

ill name a few more

Reggie Brown
Dante Stallworth
Randy Moss
Terry Glenn
and i hardly ever watch Redskins games lol

The facts are while he has decent speed, he is not that good of a cover safety.

YAYareaRB
05-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Mays can cover
Taylor can not

Sean Taylor covers the whole field. How dare you insult the Great Sean Taylor by putting his name in the same post as this glorified track star? Hehehe

YAYareaRB
05-28-2007, 01:38 PM
no he can't, at least in the NFL he can't.

He is almost as bad as Roy Williams, in terms of coverage ability. Hell Patrick Crayton has burnt Sean Taylor twice in the last 2 years.

ill name a few more

Reggie Brown
Dante Stallworth
Randy Moss
Terry Glenn
and i hardly ever watch Redskins games lol

The facts are while he has decent speed, he is not that good of a cover safety.

People are gonna get burned.. It happens. No DB can be perfect. Sean Taylor's coverage is good. Why cover the guy when you can just flinch at him and he'll drop? lol Anyone remember when Jerry Porter raped Champ Bailey in the game in the snow?

princefielder28
05-28-2007, 02:16 PM
i dont believe this for 4.28 seconds

funny.....

soybean
05-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Sean Taylor covers the whole field. How dare you insult the Great Sean Taylor by putting his name in the same post as this glorified track star? Hehehe

glorified track star? have you even seen him play?

Clayton89
05-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Wow, we sure have cannonized Sean Taylor. As a true freshman Taylor was a nickle/dime back. Mays was the starter. Mays was a 2nd team Sporting News AA as a true freshman. I would say it's more than relevant to compare the two when looking at both at similar points in thier career. Heck, I'd say Mays is a year ahead of Taylor so far in development.

Also, it's really great that Taylor can hit so hard, but I'm pretty sure the point is to get the opponent on the ground. Taylor often times tries for the big hit at the expense of the sure tackle.

Also, I don't believe Mays rana 4.28. I'd believe it more if it was 4.48, which is still pretty fast. BTW Taylor ran a 4.49 at 6'2 230 pounds. Mays is 6'4 225. Oh yeah, and didn't Calvin Johnson, at 6'5 239 pounds, just run a 4.35 40? So perhaps Mays is close to Johnson's speed...

Well Sean Taylor also had two really good safeties in Ed Reed and James Lewis playing ahead of him where as Mays came into a secondary where they had lost both the starters form the year before and suffered some injuries during the spring so its not really fair to compare them at that stage. Taylor arguebly should have been an AA his sophmore year and played pretty damn well in the National Championship Game. Plus the Sporting News AA team is an opinion of their sports writers as opposed to the AP

BUSTKUNTLAWL
05-31-2007, 03:36 PM
No matter how you cut it Antwaine (sp) Perez would of made a better Safety, had he not gotten hurt, but now he is lost in the middle of no where at I believe Rutgers.

Didn't he go to Maryland?

Paranoidmoonduck
05-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Even if this is true, I have no idea why everyone is so enamored with this kid. He actually shied away from contact last year, rendering his massive frame pretty much useless. If he starts hitting like a linebacker, call me. If not, he's never going to be much of a superstar.

yourfavestoner
06-08-2007, 11:18 PM

I've said this for a long time. Although, Taylor's style is more like Polamalu's, where they're great athletes, but it doesn't necessary translate into great coverage skills. Still, they're both much better than Roy Williams. I've said for a long time that I think Taylor would be most successful in a Polamalu type of role, where he could just roam the field and freelance and make plays. That's when he's at his best.