PDA

View Full Version : Should Chris Simms be benched?

Ward
09-17-2006, 03:26 PM
The kid had thrown ZERO touchdowns and SIX interceptions in 2 games this season... what are they waiting for?

intergalacticspacemonkey
09-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Who is their backup, is Tim Rattay still on the team?

09-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Who is their backup, is Tim Rattay still on the team?

They do have some rookie that the city is happy about let him play

RCAChainGang
09-17-2006, 03:31 PM
I dont think so. I think you got to have faith in yout man.

09-17-2006, 03:32 PM
They shouldn't have let Brian Griese go.

Gribble
09-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Let the Gradkowski era begin.

09-17-2006, 03:35 PM

I agree, that way the Saints would finish 3rd in the division at the very least.

danman253

Griese shouldn't of left either. With the way grossman is playing, he'll never see the field for serious gametime.

The Unseen
Give him, eh, two games.

09-17-2006, 03:42 PM
The kid had thrown ZERO touchdowns and SIX interceptions in 2 games this season... what are they waiting for?no now go away.

:wink:

SuperMcGee
09-17-2006, 03:51 PM

I agree, that way the Saints would finish 3rd in the division at the very least.

Why settle for third when you already have a 2 game hold on 2nd? :D

diabsoule
09-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Chris Simms have finally shown finally what I've been saying all along. He's overhyped and overrated.

Bruce Gradkowski will be a more efficient quarterback for the Bucs than Simms will. All Simms is is a glorified backup.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-17-2006, 04:16 PM
I just laughed seeing Major Applewhites name up there.

Vince Lombardi
09-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Trent Green and Chris Simms are my fanatsy QB's. :evil:

bearsfan_51
09-17-2006, 04:21 PM

Griese shouldn't of left either. With the way grossman is playing, he'll never see the field for serious gametime.
They cut him in a salary move, really didn't even talk to him about restructuring.

But yes, I agree, having Griese would be big for them right now. I don't think they should bench Simms because quite frankly they have no one else with real starter potential. Let the kid sink or swim. If he's not what they thought he was they'll have to figure it out in the offseason.

JETS5128
09-17-2006, 04:28 PM

They cut him in a salary move, really didn't even talk to him about restructuring.

But yes, I agree, having Griese would be big for them right now. I don't think they should bench Simms because quite frankly they have no one else with real starter potential. Let the kid sink or swim. If he's not what they thought he was they'll have to figure it out in the offseason.

But if they let him sink, they're throwing away a year of brooks,rice and barber who are getting older and slower each year

09-17-2006, 04:31 PM
No, he shouldn't be benched. He has a slow release, but this offense being poorly executed is mostly because of the OFFENSIVE LINE.

Simms hasn't been getting pressured, but the OL hasn't opened any holes whatsoever.

So Ward, yes Simms has had a bad start, but what about Cadillac Williams?

Caddy has had 59 yards on 23 carries (2.56 yards per carry).

Why don't you have a "Bench Caddy thread"?

bearsfan_51
09-17-2006, 04:33 PM

But if they let him sink, they're throwing away a year of brooks,rice and barber who are getting older and slower each year
But if they put in Bruce Gratowski (who is currently ahead of Tim Rattay on the depth chart) they are going to start winning games?

Good logic.

By all likelyhood this season is shot, Simms will be gone next year, and the Bucs will go back into rebuilding mode. But they at least have to play the hand their dealt and hope for the best.

JETS5128
09-17-2006, 04:33 PM
No, he shouldn't be benched. He has a slow release, but this offense being poorly executed is mostly because of the OFFENSIVE LINE.

Simms hasn't been getting pressured, but the OL hasn't opened any holes whatsoever.

So Ward, yes Simms has had a bad start, but what about Cadillac Williams?

Caddy has had 59 yards on 23 carries (2.56 yards per carry).

Why don't you have a "Bench Caddy thread"?

Cuz he hasn't fumbled 6 times

Geo
09-17-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm going to be brutally truthful here:

The Bucs weren't going to make the playoffs anyway. Look at their schedule (they have 3 tough cold-weather games in the month of December alone, for crying out loud), and any chances they had rested on an early start - which is obviously out of the picture, thanks to injuries in the OL and an inability to execute.

So they have to play Chris Simms.

He's signed to a 1-year tender, as a RFA. They have to absolutely know what they have, or don't have, in him before the year ends and they have to make a decision on the position. No matter what, he has to start.

09-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Trent Green and Chris Simms are my fanatsy QB's. :evil: :shock: :lol:

VoteLynnSwan
09-17-2006, 04:50 PM
no

draftguru151
09-17-2006, 04:51 PM
It won't matter because this team is so awful.

bearsfan_51
09-17-2006, 04:53 PM

The Bucs weren't going to make the playoffs anyway. Look at their schedule (they have 3 tough cold-weather games in the month of December alone, for crying out loud), and any chances they had rested on an early start - which is obviously out of the picture, thanks to injuries in the OL and an inability to execute.

He's signed to a 1-year tender, as a RFA. They have to absolutely know what they have, or don't have, in him before the year ends and they have to make a decision on the position. No matter what, he has to start.
:lol: That's basically just a more-detailed version of what I already said.

bearsfan_51
09-17-2006, 04:53 PM
Should the Dolphins bench Daunte?

draftguru151
09-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Should the Dolphins bench Daunte?

Damn straight. :lol:

Not really because it is the same thing, the whole team played bad (minus Ronnie), benching one guy won't do it. Culpepper still isn't comfortable in Miami. He isn't used to the receveivers and he isn't used to the OL. I think people had to high of expectations for the Dolphins to start out the season. There are a good amount of new players and it will take time for them to gel. If people think the Dolphins will be like this all year long they are mistaken.

09-17-2006, 05:21 PM

Great post.

BUT, Simms should get better. What if he has some really good games and turns it around?

Remember, he has faced 2 very good defenses, so give Baltimore and Atlanta some damn respect. Chris McCalister/Samari Rolle and then DeAngelo Hall/Jason Webster are 2 tough CB matchups back to back.

It is really early in the season, and I think Simms is much better than what he has shown in 2 really pathetic games this season.

It was obvious to many that Simms was a good QB in TC...now I know TC and games are totally different, but you can't deny his talent.

Not to mention the running game hasn't been established yet. The OL just isn't opening holes, so it isn't all Simms fault. Once Caddy gets going I would like to see what Simms can do then.

ninerfan
09-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Nice way to start a contract season - if he keeps going at this pace he'll be paying the Bucs just to hang around

YoJoeBucsFan
09-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Chris Simms is bad enough he should be benched, that being said our alternatives are not very bright either. Truth of the matter is the entire offense is garbage and until you fire Gruden/hackett/Muir this franchise will have many many many more 4-12, 5-11 seasons. Which is too bad because I really thought we might have had something but I was fooled.

turninandburnin1
09-17-2006, 10:13 PM
This sucks, Simms was my prediction for sleeper this year. I guess Ill just be startin Culpepper all year in my FF league.

sweetness34
09-17-2006, 10:29 PM
This sucks, Simms was my prediction for sleeper this year. I guess Ill just be startin Culpepper all year in my FF league.

Ouch dude....

Shiver
09-19-2006, 02:19 PM
I am baffled at how many passes get tipped at the LOS by D-Lineman. Chris Simms is 6'4", utterly confusing. He should've had five interceptions on Sunday, the Bucs were lucky Shropshire and Boley dropped sure pick sixes. If the Bucs had any legitimate backup QB, Simms would be on the pine. He gets the rest of the season to salvage any chance of ever being a starting QB in this league, it won't be with Tampa Bay, they wont resign him.

sodar21
09-19-2006, 02:52 PM
The Bucs really need Griese now. They can't just blow this year away. They have so many good players that are getting old (Rice, Brooks. Barber, Galloway, Alstott) and every year counts.

yourfavestoner
09-19-2006, 02:54 PM
I am baffled at how many passes get tipped at the LOS by D-Lineman. Chris Simms is 6'4", utterly confusing. He should've had five interceptions on Sunday, the Bucs were lucky Shropshire and Boley dropped sure pick sixes. If the Bucs had any legitimate backup QB, Simms would be on the pine. He gets the rest of the season to salvage any chance of ever being a starting QB in this league, it won't be with Tampa Bay, they wont resign him.

It's baffling to me, too. I remember it happened a ton of times in the Jag preseason game, but I just wrote it off as Stroud and Henderson not getting back there because of those three step drops, so they just stick their hands up in the air.

ccB
09-19-2006, 03:04 PM
I think its hilarious how this offseason when i said Chris Simms was unproven and not a great QB a host of Bucs fans were having a fit claiming how good he was coughsimms2claytoncough. :roll:

The Unseen
09-19-2006, 03:11 PM

I was going to say something about this but forgot...

...I totally agree. I don't understand it. People say his slow release, but a guy like Byron Leftwich doesn't seem to have the problem, atleast as much as Simms. Is it the O-line? Or is it a mental issue? Perplexing.

It looks like Gradkowski is their (next) QBotF.

Shiver
09-19-2006, 03:17 PM
I'd lean more towards Brady Quinn... Look at their schedule, it's one of the toughest in the NFL.

vs Carolina
@ New Orleans - not pushovers this year
vs Cincinnati
vs Philadelphia
@ New York Giants
vs New Orleans
@ Carolina
vs Washington
@ Dallas
@ Pittsburgh - cold weather
vs Atlanta
@ Chicago - cold weather
@ Cleveland - cold weather
vs Seattle

They are definitely in "The Quest For Quinn," as Pro Football Prospectus descriped it. Find an easy win for them on the above schedule. Is their defense going to get younger throughout the season? Is Chris Simms going to develop mental toughness during the season? Is that O-Line going to miraclously transform into a solid unit?

They play Carolina this week, I can't imagine them winning, the Panthers D-Line will eat that offensive line alive.

portermvp84
09-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Who would they bench him with Gratoskwi?

P-L
09-19-2006, 03:23 PM
I'd lean more towards Brady Quinn... Look at their schedule, it's one of the toughest in the NFL.

vs Carolina
vs Cincinnati
vs Philadelphia
@ New York Giants
vs New Orleans
@ Carolina
vs Washington
@ Dallas
vs Atlanta
@ Chicago - cold weather
vs Seattle

They are definitely in "The Quest For Quinn," as Pro Football Prospectus descriped it. Find an easy win for them on the above schedule. Is their defense going to get younger throughout the season? Is Chris Simms going to develop mental toughness during the season? Is that O-Line going to miraclously transform into a solid unit?

They play Carolina this week, I can't imagine them winning, the Panthers D-Line will eat that offensive line alive.

If they keep playing like they are now, I can't see more than 2 wins on that schedule.

ATM
09-19-2006, 05:03 PM

vs Carolina
vs Cincinnati
vs Philadelphia
@ New York Giants
vs New Orleans
@ Carolina
vs Washington
@ Dallas
vs Atlanta
@ Chicago - cold weather
vs Seattle

Wow that seems unfair and that is almost an under statement. The only game I see them competing in is against Cleveland even in cold weather, I wouldn't be 100% surprised if they went 0-16 this season. I can honestly say that the defense is too old in the front seven to win them games any more and that I actually think that the Bucs will have less or as many wins as the Raiders. Carolina should get out of their slump agains the Bucs, hopefully or their season is done too. By that time Washington should be firing on all cylinders so I think that they will lose against the other 0-2 team on their roster.

Shiver
09-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Funny you should mention "0-16," this is the 30-year anniversary of the 1976 0-14 Buccaneers. :shock:

Staubach12
09-19-2006, 07:11 PM
I dont think so. I think you got to have faith in yout man.

09-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Funny you should mention "0-16," this is the 30-year anniversary of the 1976 0-14 Buccaneers. :shock:and we wont go 0-16, we'll at least beat the falcons at home.

HawkeyeFan
09-19-2006, 09:06 PM
No, not yet its only two games. Give him 2 more games and if he hasn't yes bench him.

That team as a whole isn't doing that good either.

LonghornsLegend
09-19-2006, 09:09 PM
well lets see, when you pass for 53 attempts, i dont think 3 picks is that bad considering caddy is nowhere to be found...you gotta give him a break, look at the stats...

gruden is calling pass after pass, Defenses are teeing off on him, and the run is a non factor, meaning the play action pass is a non factor as well.../

that o line needs to get it together, if simms is benched it would be wrong, all that blame isnt on him, anytime you throw 53 times and rush under 15 its a recipe for disaster

NIN1984
09-19-2006, 09:26 PM
I would still give him some time but damn the Bucs have a hard schedule, its not gonna be easy for him but its not like they have anyone else

Shiver
09-19-2006, 09:31 PM
well lets see, when you pass for 53 attempts, i dont think 3 picks is that bad considering caddy is nowhere to be found...you gotta give him a break, look at the stats...

gruden is calling pass after pass, Defenses are teeing off on him, and the run is a non factor, meaning the play action pass is a non factor as well.../

that o line needs to get it together, if simms is benched it would be wrong, all that blame isnt on him, anytime you throw 53 times and rush under 15 its a recipe for disaster

He was lucky to only have three picks. Darrell Shropshire and Michael Boley dropped interceptions that hit them right in there hands.

Staubach12
09-19-2006, 09:38 PM

Exactly.

LonghornsLegend
09-19-2006, 09:43 PM

He was lucky to only have three picks. Darrell Shropshire and Michael Boley dropped interceptions that hit them right in there hands.

i agree he looks horrible, but when do you put some of the blame on playcalling, o line and running game?

of course he's not peyton manning, but i believe if the line was playing better and caddy was somewhere to be found, he could win games throwing 20-30 times

09-19-2006, 10:19 PM

i agree he looks horrible, but when do you put some of the blame on playcalling, o line and running game?

of course he's not peyton manning, but i believe if the line was playing better and caddy was somewhere to be found, he could win games throwing 20-30 times

Great great post. This should be stickied or something. And what is up with the extremely biased question? "Magically turn it around"...who is gonna pick that?

smittyjs
09-19-2006, 10:21 PM
This sucks, Simms was my prediction for sleeper this year. I guess Ill just be startin Culpepper all year in my FF league.Damn talk about being screwed over......... :shock:

Shiver
09-20-2006, 03:01 AM
You know this guy doesn't have the mental makeup to be an NFL QB when you read an article like this;

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4153409.html

Chris Simms and Kyle Shanahan became such good friends at the University of Texas that they have their initials tattooed on each other's lower leg.

"Kyle was a real wimp about it," Simms said. "He got a small one on his ankle. He was afraid his mom and dad would see it, so he keeps it hidden underneath his socks."

Shanahan has a different version of the experience in which each player got the initials of the other four tattooed on his lower leg.

"Let me tell you what really happened," Shanahan said. "Chris was dying to get a tattoo. When we got to the (tattoo parlor), I was the only one who already didn't have one. It wasn't any big deal for the others.

"I met Chris for the first time right after I transferred to Texas (from Duke) in January (of 2000)," Shanahan said. "I was the new wide receiver, and one day I was in the dressing room. Chris came up, introduced himself and asked if I'd run some routes for him. I said, 'Sure.'

"Later, he invited me out to dinner. We hit it off immediately, and we've been best friends ever since."

That's rediculously homosexual.

LonghornsLegend
09-20-2006, 03:08 AM
You know this guy doesn't have the mental makeup to be an NFL QB when you read an article like this;

Chris Simms and Kyle Shanahan became such good friends at the University of Texas that they have their initials tattooed on each other's lower leg.

"Kyle was a real wimp about it," Simms said. "He got a small one on his ankle. He was afraid his mom and dad would see it, so he keeps it hidden underneath his socks."

Shanahan has a different version of the experience in which each player got the initials of the other four tattooed on his lower leg.

"Let me tell you what really happened," Shanahan said. "Chris was dying to get a tattoo. When we got to the (tattoo parlor), I was the only one who already didn't have one. It wasn't any big deal for the others.

"I met Chris for the first time right after I transferred to Texas (from Duke) in January (of 2000)," Shanahan said. "I was the new wide receiver, and one day I was in the dressing room. Chris came up, introduced himself and asked if I'd run some routes for him. I said, 'Sure.'

"Later, he invited me out to dinner. We hit it off immediately, and we've been best friends ever since."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thats exactly what it sounds like, the beginning of a gay relationship...LMAO@"i was in the dressing room and chris came up and introduced himself and asked me out to dinner later" wtf :lol:

ShutDwn
09-20-2006, 11:26 AM
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/9509/simmsdw5.jpg

yourfavestoner
09-20-2006, 01:23 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thats exactly what it sounds like, the beginning of a cool relationship...LMAO@"i was in the dressing room and chris came up and introduced himself and asked me out to dinner later" wtf :lol:

Oh dear god...

transcendent
09-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Guys relax.... its only two weeks and their line hasnt done ANYTHING to help him. They have the weapons and Simms is still a talented player. He'll come around

Beans
09-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Guys relax.... its only two weeks and their line hasnt done ANYTHING to help him. They have the weapons and Simms is still a talented player. He'll come around

Thank you, good sir.

k2isasoldier
11-08-2006, 02:19 AM
chris simms lost his spleen i think that definitely warrants being benched its just unnacceptable

11-08-2006, 02:19 AM
no

DChess
11-08-2006, 02:20 AM
chris simms lost his spleen i think that definitely warrants being benched its just unnacceptable

yeah and according to darko, gradkowski is the greatest QB EVER

11-08-2006, 02:21 AM
haha i would't say ever

DChess
11-08-2006, 02:22 AM
ur not darko are u

11-08-2006, 02:23 AM
no

DChess
11-08-2006, 02:24 AM
no

then why would u respond liek u said it