PDA

View Full Version : My mock

StaticGator
04-25-2007, 07:27 AM
First day picks based on who is available in NFLDC's latest mock.

1. Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin - Gaines Adams was my #1 target but the Lions took him so I'll gladly grab the highest rated left tackle in the draft.

2.a. Charles Johnson, DE, Georgia - I like Georgia defensive linemen and am happy to be able to choose between him and Anthony Spencer. I'm taking Johnson because I like his upside a little better. Both only really came on this season but Johnson is only three years removed from high school where he was the #2 defensive end recruit so he's following the expected progression.

2.b. Victor Abiamiri, DE, Notre Dame - I'm kind of going in the reverse order grabbing a strongside end before weakside but this is how it worked out.

3. Jason Hill, WR, Washington State - I'm staying away from Calvin Johnson because I don't want every receiver on the team to be 6'5". I want a smaller guy with the same speed and the moves to shake corners.

4. CJ Gaddis, CB, Clemson - Not a fully polished prospect but scouting reports say he is physical and likes to mix it up at the line of scrimmage. It would appear the Bucs could make the most of his skill set in the Tampa 2.

5. Marvin White, S, TCU - Has good speed and his body type matches up with typical Tampa 2 safeties in the league right now. I like how his scouting report says hard worker, sound tackler, and smooth in coverage.

7.a. David Holloway, OLB, Maryland - Budget strongside linebacker candidate. Scouting report says good at recognizing plays and sound tackler.

7.b. Tim Castille, FB, Alabama - Not Bama's blocking back but was used in short yardage and can catch out of the backfield. Could push Earnest Graham.

7.c. Roman Fry, OG, Clemson - Backup guard said to be strong in the run game.

Clearly I am neglecting defensive tackle, but I don't like anyone other than Okoye and Harrell and they're not slotted right for the Bucs' picks. I don't want to mess with Marcus Thomas. Let him go to a team that won't be a two hour drive from his bad influences. My plan is to land Frank Okam, Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, or DeMario Pressley next year as the Bucs should be picking around #15.

Caddy
04-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Not a fan of 2 DE's in the 2nd at all. You can argue all you want about it being a deep year for defensive end and it presents good value, however we have more needs than defensive end.

Chucky
04-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Firstly spencer is definatly better than johnson, and when you say I'm staying away from Calvin Johnson" does that mean that he was available at 4. If so then you have lost all credibility

StaticGator
04-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Firstly spencer is definatly better than johnson, and when you say I'm staying away from Calvin Johnson" does that mean that he was available at 4. If so then you have lost all credibility

Do I lose all credibility because I think Calvin Johnson will be available at #4 or because I don't think the Bucs should draft Calvin Johnson at #4?

Chucky
04-25-2007, 06:33 PM
because you dont think the bucs should draft one of the best WR prospects ever at pick number 4

StaticGator
04-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Sorry but I look at what happens when bad teams with bad offensive lines select wide receivers in the top 5 and I don't like it.

ks_perfection
04-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Our O-line isn't that terrible. Joseph and Trueblood were both rookies and will be better, Buenning is also young. At LT Pett is decent, the line will definitly be improved next season.

Even if you think the line is terrible we can get o-line help in the future, but we can't get a CJ in the future.

StaticGator
04-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Even if you think the line is terrible we can get o-line help in the future, but we can't get a CJ in the future.

I would ask how many teams in the playoffs last season had anything close to a CJ?

Tampa 2 4 life
04-25-2007, 07:52 PM
I would ask how many teams in the playoffs last season had anything close to a CJ?

Cowboys.

But, lemme ask you how many teams have had anything close to a CJ?

StaticGator
04-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Cowboys.

But, lemme ask you how many teams have had anything close to a CJ?

Well, let's wait til he plays some games before we annoint him the second coming of whoever. I'd say the three most recent comparable receivers would be Andre Johnson, Roy Williams, and Larry Fitzgerald. And we all know where their teams are drafting. I just don't believe games are won with wide recievers.

etk
04-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Very poor mock draft, the only pick I liked was Marvin White.

I am now accepting all offers for positive rep for giving him a red bar. Demeaning CJ is the ultimate traitor act as a Bucs fan.

-black
04-25-2007, 09:43 PM

no he is not "clearly" better than Johnson. I'd rather have Charles Johnson. Followed him since he was one of the highest recruited defensive players in the country (and FSU missed out on him). Great run stopper, and was unblockable in the bowl game vs Virginia Tech. Game speed is WAY better than his timed 40. Johnson IMHO is the most underated DE in the draft. People who only know prospects through scouting reports (ie not watching them play) will underate him tho.

Caddy
04-26-2007, 01:34 AM
no he is not "clearly" better than Johnson. I'd rather have Charles Johnson. Followed him since he was one of the highest recruited defensive players in the country (and FSU missed out on him). Great run stopper, and was unblockable in the bowl game vs Virginia Tech. Game speed is WAY better than his timed 40. Johnson IMHO is the most underated DE in the draft. People who only know prospects through scouting reports (ie not watching them play) will underate him tho.

They are comparable, but I think Spencer has more potential in regards to rushing the passer which will consequently lead to him being drafted higher.

StaticGator
04-26-2007, 06:00 AM
They are comparable, but I think Spencer has more potential in regards to rushing the passer which will consequently lead to him being drafted higher.

I like Spencer fine but think him and Abiamiri have more in common than Johnson and Abiamiri so I tried to balance things out more.

Booger
04-26-2007, 12:04 PM
I like the mock draft just fine.

While I would select CJ if he were available at #4, I truly believe that he is going in the top 2. Unless Arizona is willing to give us a day 1 pick to let them have Joe Thomas, I would be thrilled to select him at #4.

I also prefer Spencer to Johnson, but Spencer may be gone. The biggest problem with your draft is the lack of a DT. I would take Ray McDonald in round 2 or Mebane in the 3rd or 4th.

Three Step Drop
04-26-2007, 12:14 PM
i'll admit we do need help along the D_line but i cant see the need for 2 DE's in round 2. However i do like Hill in the 3rd

StaticGator
04-26-2007, 12:25 PM
I also prefer Spencer to Johnson, but Spencer may be gone. The biggest problem with your draft is the lack of a DT. I would take Ray McDonald in round 2 or Mebane in the 3rd or 4th.

i'll admit we do need help along the D_line but i cant see the need for 2 DE's in round 2. However i do like Hill in the 3rd

Basically I just don't like the defensive tackles that will be slotted to the Bucs. I think Mebane stinks and I only see Ray Mac as a 3-4 end. The only one I'm kind of interested in is Antonio Johnson. So I'd rather capitalize on a strong DE class and not reach on some weak DTs. Next year looks pretty good with Okam, Pressley, Ellis, and Dorsey off the top of my head. I feel this is a sounder strategy for long term success.

-black
04-26-2007, 12:34 PM
yeah, honestly there is nothing wrong with taking two DE's on the first day this year. Rice and Spires could BOTH be gone in 08 and even if we took a DT, he could not play much this season. Carter, Hovan, and Whyms is a very solid DT rotation. We could live without a DT this season. We do need a couple of good DE's