PDA

View Full Version : ATL the Frontrunners for the #2 pick

woodnick
04-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Don Banks is reporting: While everyone has focused on No. 4 Tampa Bay as the most likely trading partner for No. 2 Detroit in the Calvin Johnson Sweepstakes, it's the No. 8 Falcons who might truly be in the driver's seat. Sources say Falcons owner Arthur Blank has pretty much ordered Atlanta general manager Rich McKay to do everything he can to put the team into position to land Johnson at No. 2.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/04/25/trades/index.html

There it is folks the last time Arthur Blank made an order to get someone they slid up and got Vick. CJ21 not only gives Vick some much needed help, but also will generate income by being a top player and, more importantly, a local product.

asmitty45
04-25-2007, 06:26 PM
This is great news, we need this move down and if this is true abotu blank's "order" then we can practically hold them at a ransom for quite a few picks. Awesome.

DoWnThEfiElD
04-25-2007, 06:27 PM
I have to believe because CJ is a hometown guy, and thus more marketable in ATL, i think we should be able to get more from them than most other teams. ATL may be willing to over pay a bit in this case.

woodnick
04-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Later in Banks' article it says that ATL will probably give us #39 and #44 to swap first with us. He also addresses all the neysayers and states that it would leave Atl with a 3rd and three 4th rounders to address their other needs.

ESimsfan87
04-25-2007, 06:34 PM
LaRon Landry in a Lions uni...Come on baby we finally need our safety after getting screwed with Taylor and Huff in past drafts... Although I'm not complaining about Ernie at all ha...

woodnick
04-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Don Banks also says that it would put us in perfect position to grab the person that the Lions brass truly covet, Patrick Willis. This makes me pretty happy.

Draft King
04-25-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm guessing this trade will involve obviously swapping the 1st round picks, but then #39, Atlanta's '08 2nd rounder, and this year's 3rd rounder. Knowing McKay, who said no player is worth trading a whole draft for, that is what he'll do.

woodnick
04-25-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm guessing this trade will involve obviously swapping the 1st round picks, but then #39, Atlanta's '08 2nd rounder, and this year's 3rd rounder. Knowing McKay, who said no player is worth trading a whole draft for, that is what he'll do.

But if it's known that Blank said what ever it takes, then Millen will be able to hold him "hostage" until McKay ante's up what the Lions deam as fair compensation. This deal would also leave Atl with 5 picks in the first 4 rounds, so I don't really consider it giving up the whole draft.

Xiomera
04-25-2007, 07:32 PM
God I hope this happens. I want Willis/Landry in the worst way.

D-Unit
04-25-2007, 07:33 PM
You do realize that Ted Ginn would be the selection at 8, right?

Xiomera
04-25-2007, 07:35 PM

Nah, he's going #1 to Dallas . . . yes, you read that correctly.

woodnick

I don't know, I think they'd have to go with Jarret.

asmitty45

hahaha, no seriously its Dwayne Jarrett.

DoWnThEfiElD
04-25-2007, 08:20 PM
I want to see a bidding war

Shiver
04-25-2007, 08:23 PM
As long as Atlanta keeps at least one of their day-1 picks, most likely 75th, I am fine with it.

Aard
04-25-2007, 09:55 PM
It's nice to see Lions fans joking about Millen drafting a WR in the first round without it sounding bitter and angry.

If Atlanta and Detroit make this deal, the Falcons will instantly become my second-favorite team in the league.

LitoSheppard
04-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Wow, just when i though i had it right with TB..thats a pretty big order, do everything you can in your power..this is a toughy for my mock now..

WMD
04-25-2007, 10:20 PM

Agreed.. Though the trade down could lead us to picking Drew Stanton, which I don't really want..

reinar
04-25-2007, 10:52 PM
i still think its a bidding war, to be honest. I think TB is trying to make it cheaper to trade up, and hinting they dont want it.

Newbs24
04-25-2007, 11:14 PM
I am not getting TOO excited because there is usually alot of smoke and not a lot of fire this close to the draft. The only thing I am hoping for is Daunte to stay in MIA and Trent to stay in KC until after Saturday. If I hear that Oakland drafts Calvin Johnson with the first pick, I may have to be physically pulled away from the bottle. That would screw us hardcore. But Al Davis is obsessed with the deep ball and will draft JaMarcus Russell and we can all laugh at his failure of a career together

Aard
04-25-2007, 11:30 PM
I am not getting TOO excited because there is usually alot of smoke and not a lot of fire this close to the draft. The only thing I am hoping for is Daunte to stay in MIA and Trent to stay in KC until after Saturday. If I hear that Oakland drafts Calvin Johnson with the first pick, I may have to be physically pulled away from the bottle. That would screw us hardcore. But Al Davis is obsessed with the deep ball and will draft JaMarcus Russell and we can all laugh at his failure of a career together

God, I hope Al loves JaMarcus as much as everyone says he does. Russell to the Raiders is key to a Lions draft goldmine.

Shiver
04-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Don't completely misinterpret the Don Banks article. He later mentions Atlanta's plans if they cannot trade with Detroit. So don't expect Atlanta to do whatever it takes, and 'Ditka' their way to Calvin Johnson. They would like to acquire him, and are trying to. But they are fine with Adrian Peterson, Laron Landry, Levi Brown, Jamaal Anderson, in that order per the article.

iKNOW
04-26-2007, 04:54 AM
atlanta is just trying to screw with divison rivals tampa bay by publicly leaking their trade proposal. tampa may get nervous and offer something ridiculous to detroit. vick is no QB and will struggle regardless of whoever is running around catching his balls.

TRJ997
04-26-2007, 07:58 AM
atlanta is just trying to screw with divison rivals tampa bay by publicly leaking their trade proposal. tampa may get nervous and offer something ridiculous to detroit. vick is no QB and will struggle regardless of whoever is running around catching his balls.

Agreed. Its either that or Detroit leaked the story to create a market for the #2 pick. Either way, this is just smoke to force TB's hand. Why would Atlanta put this out if there was one shred of truth to it? Why would Blank say I really want to trade up and I'm willing to give up whatever you want right before the negotiations? You don't become a billionaire using those tactics.

Atlanta isn't going to trade up because they will become a better team by staying put and adding premium talent to their defense, which can be had at the top of round 2. If the Falcon's want to see how good a passer Vick can become, don't draft another first round WR . . . DRAFT OFFENSIVE LINE TO PROTECT HIM!

DraftMichaelHuff
04-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Agreed. Its either that or Detroit leaked the story to create a market for the #2 pick. Either way, this is just smoke to force TB's hand. Why would Atlanta put this out if there was one shred of truth to it? Why would Blank say I really want to trade up and I'm willing to give up whatever you want right before the negotiations? You don't become a billionaire using those tactics.

Atlanta isn't going to trade up because they will become a better team by staying put and adding premium talent to their defense, which can be had at the top of round 2. If the Falcon's want to see how good a passer Vick can become, don't draft another first round WR . . . DRAFT OFFENSIVE LINE TO PROTECT HIM!
perfect +1 rep

Iamcanadian
04-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Ya, I'm sure the Atlanta owner stated that so Detroit could get extra picks knowing their GM must make the trade. Every owner wants to give Detroit the edge in the trade just to help us out. This sounds a lot more like a Detroit made rumour to pressure Tampa to make a trade than anything coming from Atlanta.

LionSmack
04-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Why would Atlanta put this out if there was one shred of truth to it? Why would Blank say I really want to trade up and I'm willing to give up whatever you want right before the negotiations? You don't become a billionaire using those tactics.

Perhaps some of you failed to grasp that this article was from a reporter, citing inside sources, none of which are the owner or the GM.

This could still be pretty much true and yet not a deliberate leak on the part of the Falcons. Blank might not have said "I want CJ" to anyone but McKay, and then a few others in the front office became aware of it, and then one of them told someone who told someone who told Banks.

Also, just because you're rich doesn't mean you do everything perfect. That is the biggest fallacy in America, that just because you have a lot of money that automatically means you're a genius. It's a stupid assumption.

TRJ997
04-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Perhaps some of you failed to grasp that this article was from a reporter, citing inside sources, none of which are the owner or the GM.

This could still be pretty much true and yet not a deliberate leak on the part of the Falcons. Blank might not have said "I want CJ" to anyone but McKay, and then a few others in the front office became aware of it, and then one of them told someone who told someone who told Banks.

Also, just because you're rich doesn't mean you do everything perfect. That is the biggest fallacy in America, that just because you have a lot of money that automatically means you're a genius. It's a stupid assumption.

I can see why you'd want this to be true. I don't believe that anyone one who is close enough to the draft room would allow this kind of information to escape considering the cost/detriment to the team.

I'll lean more toward the don't believe anything you hear in the week before the draft explanation as opposed to a mole in the Falcons draft room who is spreading rumors Gordon Gekko style . . . Blue Horse Shoe Loves Calvin Johnson.

Iamcanadian
04-26-2007, 12:56 PM
So far, we have had the Cleveland owner saying get Quinn at all cost and now the Atlanta owner saying get Johnson at all cost. Seems a bit far fetched to me.

casskid
04-26-2007, 03:32 PM
^^ I agree.
With all this talk of teams saying so and so at all costs, it really seems like the Lions may end up either staying at 2 or taking a deal from someone like the Broncos (out of the elite prospect range). I would love to trade down, but as of right now it just seems like everyone is a bit too interested in trading up. Maybe that changes when the clock starts running, but we'll see.

DoWnThEfiElD
04-26-2007, 05:47 PM
excuse me?

Mythos
04-26-2007, 08:08 PM
I can see why you'd want this to be true. I don't believe that anyone one who is close enough to the draft room would allow this kind of information to escape considering the cost/detriment to the team.

I'll lean more toward the don't believe anything you hear in the week before the draft explanation as opposed to a mole in the Falcons draft room who is spreading rumors Gordon Gekko style . . . Blue Horse Shoe Loves Calvin Johnson.

It's 99% smoke, but I think the redskins-campbell thing got leaked.