PDA

View Full Version : Best rookie LB, so far.

datchapin
09-23-2006, 03:51 PM
I saw another thread comparing a rookie and a veteran and thought I would make a better poll. I mean more fair poll. Also I'd like to see where everyone thinks the LB's will be at the end of the yr. I'm bias so I'm going with Ryans, not only is he got the best #'s so far, but the guy is gonna keep improving and is in a position to really excell in the middle. If I missed any lb feel free to comment on him.

Moses
09-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Right now, DeMeco Ryans is looking like the best player. It's a toss up to decide who is going to be the best by the end of the year. From a numbers stand point, Ryans will probably take it but the overall best could be anybody.

The Unseen
09-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Best: DeMeco
Worst: Bobby

Scotty D
09-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Ernie Sims is leading the Lions with 17 tackles through two games.

ShutDwn
09-23-2006, 04:07 PM
I wanted Demeco so bad last year :(

DHVF
09-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Why exactly is Chad Greenway not on this list?

Windy
09-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Thomas Howard has played exceptionally well for the Raiders. All over the place

The Unseen
09-23-2006, 04:13 PM

Hard to make tackles on the sideline in crutches.

sweetness34
09-23-2006, 04:25 PM

I think he was being sarcastic...He is a Vikes fan remember. :lol:

SuperMcGee
09-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Keith Ellison!

Definitely DeMeco

nobodyinparticular
09-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Thomas Howard has played exceptionally well for the Raiders. All over the place

Should be an option.

duckseason
09-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Either Demeco Ryans or Manny Lawson.

Larry
09-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Other, Manny Lawson.

A Perfect Score
09-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Thomas Howard has played well for the raiders, but he has also made several big mistakes i have seen. He has overrun plays, bin too aggrassive in coverage, and he allows blockers to get the better of him. my vote goes for ernie sims. Thatlions defense looked great against seattle, although they blew against chicago, and he was all over smacking heads.

Xonraider
09-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Thomas Howard has a really bright future.. but he is not the best now.

bearfan
09-23-2006, 05:33 PM
i said Simms, he has done real well for himself in Detroit. Then Demeco

intergalacticspacemonkey
09-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Imagine if the Lions took Merriman and then Sims. Could have top ten LB corp of all time in a few years.

661rep
09-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Thomas Howard of the Raiders has been really good.

Scotty D
09-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Imagine if the Lions took Merriman and then Sims. Could have top ten LB corp of all time in a few years.

Would Merriman translate well to a 4-3 as a OLB? Derrick Johnson may have been awesome though.

Godsend
09-23-2006, 06:10 PM
1. Ryans
2. Sims
3. Howard (don't know why he's not in the options...)

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-23-2006, 06:22 PM

Would Merriman translate well to a 4-3 as a OLB? Derrick Johnson may have been awesome though.

I tend to think Merriman would be a 4-3 DE.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Carpenter should not even be an option here at this point.

bigbluedefense
09-23-2006, 06:56 PM
Carpenter will be a star, he's just on a team with a plethora of LB talent. He'll get on and see playing time soon enough.

DeMeco easily takes this imo. With Manny Lawson in second. Ernie Simms is 3rd place with Thomas Howard in 4th.

AJ Hawk has been incredibly disappointing so far.

datchapin
09-23-2006, 07:41 PM
I knew I would forget someone, that's why I put up the other option. Anyways, sorry about the ommission of Howard, Lawson, and anybody else that I forgot. Well, Demeco has looked awesome for us. This last week he really wasn't that big of an impact because we were in nickel and dime formations most of the game, plus the Colts didn't really run, but he should really show up against the Skins. I think he will be the most solid by the end of the season. I mean the reason I like him so much is that he's a MLB he's really handling the responsibilities and unlike other MLB's drafted in yrs. past the defense wasn't simplified for him. I think the guy is gonna be a stud.

DHVF
09-23-2006, 07:42 PM

I think he was being sarcastic...He is a Vikes fan remember. :lol:And I thought I was being obvious. :roll:

draftguru151
09-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Carpenter hasn't seen the field much because Ellis has done so well at OLB. He is going to be a beast though.

Right now it is Sims, but I really like DeMeco, and Howard has a great future.

D4rk 0ne
09-23-2006, 07:59 PM
1. Ryans
2. Sims
3. Howard (don't know why he's not in the options...)
++

LTgiants
09-23-2006, 08:17 PM
THOMAS HOWARD

VernonLawson89
09-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Manny Lawson.

Shiver
09-23-2006, 08:26 PM
4-3

Demeco Ryans

3-4

Manny Lawson

Those two positions are too different to compare against eachother directly.

bigbluedefense
09-23-2006, 08:30 PM
4-3

Demeco Ryans

3-4

Manny Lawson

Those two positions are too different to compare against eachother directly.

Yup, thats the best way to put it. Both are playing real well in their respective systems and both are looking like steals. I honestly didn't expect Lawson to have a good year, I thought he would be a disappointment in the NFL. He is proving me wrong. I knew Ryans was gonna be the bomb, he's the man. If we didn't have AP, I wouldve really wanted EA to get him.

jkpigskin
09-23-2006, 08:55 PM
demeco has played real well, but i think ernie sims will be the best the rest of the way.. he is so explosive

ninerfan
09-23-2006, 09:02 PM
manny baby big time

Vikes99ej
09-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Why exactly is Chad Greenway not on this list? LOL

nobodyinparticular
09-24-2006, 02:18 AM

Morrison is doing a darn good job following up a very good rookie season too. Strongside LB is still up in the air, but those two, so far this season are performing admirably.

I'll tell you right now, the defense is not the reason why the Raiders are at the bottom of the barrell at 0-2 right now. That offense is downright pitiful, but the defense has been pretty stout. It's young and can give up mistakes, but it's a good start.

njx9
09-24-2006, 03:50 AM

Morrison is doing a darn good job following up a very good rookie season too. Strongside LB is still up in the air, but those two, so far this season are performing admirably.

I'll tell you right now, the defense is not the reason why the Raiders are at the bottom of the barrell at 0-2 right now. That offense is downright pitiful, but the defense has been pretty stout. It's young and can give up mistakes, but it's a good start.

just say it. if they had danny clark, they'd be 2-0.

Ace
09-24-2006, 08:26 AM
1) Demeco Ryans

2) Ernie Sims

3) Thomas Howard

Staubach12
09-24-2006, 09:07 AM
I know stats aren't everything, but no one has posted them...

Demeco Ryans - 17 tackles, 3 assists, 0 sacks, 0 Ints

Ernie Sims - 14 Tackles, 3 assists, 0 sacks, 0 Ints

Thomas Howard - 15 Tackles, 1 Assist, 0 Sacks, 0 Assists

AJ Hawk - 10 Tackles, 2 assists, 0 Sacks, 0 Ints

Bobby Carpenter (Not starting) - 0 Tackles, 0 Assists, 0 Sacks, 0 Ints

Manny Lawson - 9 tackles, 0 Assists, 2 Sacks, 0 Ints

Outside stats, I say
1.Ryans
2.Sims
3.Lawson

I haven't seen Hawk play.

LonghornsLegend
09-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Carpenter will be a very good LB, he is learning alot this year although not seeing the field much, but if he's not starting that says something about our LB corps, and i dont think anyone was expecting the greg ellis situation....carpenter will be fine....

I know his name hasnt been mentioned, but i like wimbley in clevelands 3-4 defense, stats may not be up there with sims, but he's very athletic and active, i think he will be a pro bowler for that team

P-L
09-24-2006, 11:11 AM
I have a hard time considering Lawson for this discussion. Yes, he is listed as an OLB but his responsibilities are much different than every other one of these LB. Lawson is more of like a DE as he gets to rush the passer more than any of these other LB do.

LonghornsLegend
09-24-2006, 11:31 AM
I have a hard time considering Lawson for this discussion. Yes, he is listed as an OLB but his responsibilities are much different than every other one of these LB. Lawson is more of like a DE as he gets to rush the passer more than any of these other LB do.

I agree. its really hard to have an accurate grade if you want to rate who is better...I just go by how important they are and what they do for their team....

I dont think derrick johnson would of done as well in a 3-4 and rushing the passer every play, where as manny lawson, merriman they excell in it...but the stats are skewed because of it

keylime_5
09-24-2006, 11:41 AM
I guess Wimbley and Lawson count as DEs since they are 3-4 OLBs, huh?

DHVF
09-24-2006, 11:44 AM
I guess Wimbley and Lawson count as DEs since they are 3-4 OLBs, huh?Yup, pretty much.

nobodyinparticular
09-24-2006, 03:23 PM

Ugh, no. The key to the defense has actually been, in part, Morrison's upgrade over Clark. Clark was cool, but Morrison is just that much better. Howard has been great at WILL, we're just trying to figure out SAM. Sam Williams and Grant Irons are both ok, and if Williams can actually see the field with any regularity (instead of the trainer's table) he could be good.

But no. That offensive line, Aaron Brooks, the lack of a running game and the terrible play calling are why the Raiders are 0-2. No amount of Danny Clarks, Ray Lewis, Ronnie Lotts or Lawrence Taylors would be able to change the outcome of the last 2 games.

09-24-2006, 03:42 PM

Ugh, no. The key to the defense has actually been, in part, Morrison's upgrade over Clark. Clark was cool, but Morrison is just that much better. Howard has been great at WILL, we're just trying to figure out SAM. Sam Williams and Grant Irons are both ok, and if Williams can actually see the field with any regularity (instead of the trainer's table) he could be good.

But no. That offensive line, Aaron Brooks, the lack of a running game and the terrible play calling are why the Raiders are 0-2. No amount of Danny Clarks, Ray Lewis, Ronnie Lotts or Lawrence Taylors would be able to change the outcome of the last 2 games.morrison is faster and more athletic then clark.he also always makes the takle.the reason why we cut clark is cuase he cost to much $$$ to be second team linebacker.howard has more time to improve hes a physical beast. he ran a 4.43 at the combine.

Shiver
09-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Through three games Demeco Ryans has 30 tackles.

datchapin
09-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Through three games Demeco Ryans has 30 tackles.

While that is all good and well. It means the rest of our defense SUCKS. I don't know if it's maybe because we're allergic to blitzing or what ever, but thank god we got Ryans, I don't know if we would have a hope in the future for our D if he wasn't there.

defensiveback23
09-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Ryans, Lawson and Simms have all been very good but I have to give it to DeMeco.

Tim Dobbins of the Chargers has looked good in the preseason but hasn't been able to get PT since the season started. He's a name to look out for in the future.

aheineken
09-24-2006, 09:32 PM
I haven't watched the Raiders much this year for obvious reasons, so I don't know how well Howard has been playing. But, from the one Texans game I saw, DeMeco Ryans was all over the place making tackles.

ny10804
09-24-2006, 09:46 PM
AJ Hawk has 20 tackles and a sack thus far. He's been good/great in coverage, and most the tackles he makes are within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage. He's gotten better each game, and has had plays where he showed why he was the fifth pick. Can't wait for next Monday....

smittyjs
09-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Demeco Ryans

TitleTown088
09-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Hawk outperformed Simms today in the game IMO. hopefully he can keep it up.

sweetness34
09-24-2006, 10:53 PM

Ernie's been invisible the past two games after playing very well in the opener. AJ Hawk is gonna be a stud man.

L6
09-25-2006, 01:57 AM
Ryans is the best so far imo, him or Manny Lawson.

Another one to keep your eyes on though, that is slipping under the radar is Rashad Jeanty. No one knows much about him because he came over from the CFL, but hes still technically a rookie. He took David Pollacks starting spot because of injury, and has looked pretty good. Right now hes got 11 tackles a fumble recovery and a pass deflection, but he showed good pass rushing skills in the preseason, and had insane sack numbers in canada, so i wouldnt be suprised if he really starts to impress down the stretch.

TitleTown088
09-25-2006, 10:08 AM

Ernie's been invisible the past two games after playing very well in the opener. AJ Hawk is gonna be a stud man.

i know 8)

danman253
09-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Ryans has been leaps and bounds better than any of the other rookie LBs. Sims has disappointed me after playing very well vs. Seattle.

P-L
09-25-2006, 10:21 AM

I wouldn't really say he's been invisible. He hasn't stood out since the first game but he is second amoung rookies in tackles and tied for 8th in the NFL.

Mr. Stiller
09-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Look at it this way.

Ryans is the Best MLB for a rookie. Sims has been the Best OLB.

I'd say they're about even, with Pathetic defenses they are showing up 90% of the vets on their team.

Kurve
09-25-2006, 01:17 PM
im sure in time most of this rookie class of LBs will do fine hawk, simms, ryans, howard,ect..

09-25-2006, 09:11 PM
demeco is the most talented linebaker on his team and in a four three system all of the tackles are going to be funneled into the middle linebacker.

DHVF
09-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Damn was Hawk impressive on Sunday. I'd definitely still take him over any other rookie LB (if given the choice). I mean, he was everywhere.

Jensen
09-25-2006, 11:20 PM
I think DeMeco has impressed me the most so far, followed by Sims and Hawk or Lawson.

TitleTown088
09-26-2006, 01:15 AM
Damn was Hawk impressive on Sunday. I'd definitely still take him over any other rookie LB (if given the choice). I mean, he was everywhere.

i agree :wink:,but i really wish Greenway could be included in this pole because he went to high school right by me.