PDA

View Full Version : The Saints?

Splat
09-26-2006, 09:21 AM
I don't think there are going to the SB or anything but I think they will fight for a wildcard.

Basileus777
09-26-2006, 09:26 AM
The Saints are improved, but I don't see them making the playoffs with this schedule. The offense is for real, but I am not sold yet on the defense.

http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/schedule?team=nor&year=2006

Thats a pretty brutual schedule, especially in December. I can't see them going better than 8-8 at best.

therock6000
09-26-2006, 09:27 AM
I think the saints are much improved...but best case scenario is 8-8...which is looking competitive in the nfc south. they won't win the wild card...they'll have to win the division to make the postseason. To answer the question, they aren't "for real", but they are a lot more real than recent years.

Splat
09-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Tampa Bay has been sucking and they don't have a QB now Carolina is so up and down you never know which team will show up I know Smith has been hurt if he goes down for a few more games they are SOL.

drowe
09-26-2006, 09:36 AM
i dunno..Drew Brees is playing well. Reggie Bush adds a new dimension to the offense. Marques Colston is a stud. The Defense looked amazing against a dynamic Atlanta offense. And they're 3-0. I don't see any reason to NOT believe they're for real at this point.

RyanLeaf#1
09-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Carolina is going to blow them out next week.

giant73zuma
09-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Are they real?
No, not this year, not yet.
But I can defiantely see them being contenders next year, especially with a good draft and maybe a couple of freea agent pick ups.

bearsfan_51
09-26-2006, 09:48 AM
i dunno..Drew Brees is playing well. Reggie Bush adds a new dimension to the offense. Marques Colston is a stud. The Defense looked amazing against a dynamic Atlanta offense. And they're 3-0. I don't see any reason to NOT believe they're for real at this point.
I agree.

NIN1984
09-26-2006, 10:29 AM
The next 3 games will say a lot about the Saints but IMO I think they are for real and should make the playoffs

and plus Drew Brees is only going to get better week after week

Jughead10
09-26-2006, 10:34 AM
One of the biggest factors for the Saints might be the fact that Joe Horn hasn't completely lost it. I really thought after last year Joe Horn would never be a good starter in the NFL again. I thought it was just over for him.

The Unseen
09-26-2006, 10:44 AM
They could be like the 2004 Jaguars, who went 3-0 but struggled down the stretch and ended up missing the playoffs. Of course, they are two different teams, one built on offense and the other on defense. But it's just an example.

Number 10
09-26-2006, 10:53 AM
I just don't see the depth on the defensive side of the ball that is needed to hinder the affect of inevitable injuries. Good start, they will be in playoff discussions but I still see them finishing around .500

DMWSackMachine
09-26-2006, 11:09 AM
The only way that they will or can be "for real" is if some of the players that they have who are considered to be mediocre or even just plain bad emerge into quality players in a way that no one has or will foresee.

The truth is, they just don't have that good of players on their team. They are currently starting a corps of LBs that were all backups for NFC East teams last year. That's how bad they are at LB. They are also employing no names and young guys at the DT positions. McKenzie is a good player in the secondary, but outside of him they have young unproven players and mediocre vets. Hell, they are starting Roman Harper, who, though he ended up being a second round pick, was projected as no more than a 4th rounder by every draft service I ever saw.

Anyhow, I don't know what happened last night, and I don't think I will ever know. If the conspiracy theorists are right, this kind of thing is their best evidence, because that Atlanta team sure looked like they were trying to throw that game. Every single player on that team looked bad. DeAngelo Hall got flat out embarrassed all night long. I mean, at what point do you realize that the other team is NOT going to throw deep and start covering up the short stuff better, but NO was constantly completing digs and short outs to his man. And he's just an example. Every other player on that team was doing the same thing. It was just uncanny.

datchapin
09-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Someone please explain to me how they are the 5th best ranked defense. I'm loosing my mind over this here.

Jughead10
09-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Roman Harper is a player. They was a great pick by New Orleans whether it was in the second round or not.

09-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Anyhow, I don't know what happened last night, and I don't think I will ever know. If the conspiracy theorists are right, this kind of thing is their best evidence, because that Atlanta team sure looked like they were trying to throw that game. Every single player on that team looked bad. DeAngelo Hall got flat out embarrassed all night long. I mean, at what point do you realize that the other team is NOT going to throw deep and start covering up the short stuff better, but NO was constantly completing digs and short outs to his man. And he's just an example. Every other player on that team was doing the same thing. It was just uncanny.

:roll:

Just shut up.

The Unseen
09-26-2006, 11:24 AM
The only way that they will or can be "for real" is if some of the players that they have who are considered to be mediocre or even just plain bad emerge into quality players in a way that no one has or will foresee.

The truth is, they just don't have that good of players on their team. They are currently starting a corps of LBs that were all backups for NFC East teams last year. That's how bad they are at LB. They are also employing no names and young guys at the DT positions. McKenzie is a good player in the secondary, but outside of him they have young unproven players and mediocre vets. Hell, they are starting Roman Harper, who, though he ended up being a second round pick, was projected as no more than a 4th rounder by every draft service I ever saw.

The rest of your post seems to indicate that you have a hard time realizing that this might in fact be true.

Your comment about NFC East back-up linebackers also makes me think you have trouble realizing that the NFC East might not be all it's hyped up to be, which again is a hard time realizing that what is thought to be true is false.

bearsfan_51
09-26-2006, 11:32 AM
So if the Saints go 9-7 they aren't "for real"? What does for real mean? Hell if the Saints go 8-8 that would be an amazing season for them. Anyone expecting them to go 12-4 is an idiot. :lol: But they could finish the season 6-7 and sneak into the playoffs. I don't see why not.

Windy
09-26-2006, 11:34 AM
the saints will make the playoffs and beat dallas in the first round. the crowd will go wild and sean payton will be hurled into the air.

Basileus777
09-26-2006, 11:54 AM
4 Sun, Oct 1 at Carolina
5 Sun, Oct 8 Tampa Bay
6 Sun, Oct 15 Philadelphia
7 BYE WEEK
8 Sun, Oct 29 Baltimore
9 Sun, Nov 5 at Tampa Bay
10 Sun, Nov 12 at Pittsburgh
11 Sun, Nov 19 Cincinnati
12 Sun, Nov 26 at Atlanta
13 Sun, Dec 3 San Francisco
14 Sun, Dec 10 at Dallas
15 Sun, Dec 17 Washington
16 Sun, Dec 24 at NY Giants
17 Sun, Dec 31 Carolina

The Saints are playing pretty good, but making the playoffs? Which 6 of these games are the Saints going to win (assuming 9-7 gets them in)? I don't see more than 4 or 5 wins here.

GermanSaint
09-26-2006, 12:06 PM
4 Sun, Oct 1 at Carolina
5 Sun, Oct 8 Tampa Bay
7 BYE WEEK
8 Sun, Oct 29 Baltimore
14 Sun, Dec 10 at Dallas
17 Sun, Dec 31 Carolina

The Saints are playing pretty good, but making the playoffs? Which 6 of these games are the Saints going to win (assuming 9-7 gets them in)? I don't see more than 4 or 5 wins here.

hmm 2 times tampa , 2 times carolina , makes 4
SF , 5
maybe one or two nfc east upsets

and iam not sold on the steelers yet.

its very hard but it isnt like walking on water.

P-L
09-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Reggie Bush was the offensive MVP last night. I don't care what the stats showed. When Reggie was on the field, all eyes were on him. It seemed to me that the Falcon's biggest priority was to stop him. I felt like a big reason why the Saints won was because they gave too much respect to Bush, and not enough to Brees.

Number 10
09-26-2006, 12:21 PM
4 Sun, Oct 1 at Carolina
5 Sun, Oct 8 Tampa Bay
7 BYE WEEK
8 Sun, Oct 29 Baltimore
14 Sun, Dec 10 at Dallas
17 Sun, Dec 31 Carolina

hmm 2 times tampa , 2 times carolina , makes 4
SF , 5
maybe one or two nfc east upsets

and iam not sold on the steelers yet.

its very hard but it isnt like walking on water.

I'll be suprised if you beat the Panthers once, let alone twice.

You will beat the Bucs twice-You will probably lose to 3 of the 4 NFC East teams-And you will probably upset one of the AFC North teams-leaving you with 4 more, maybe 5 more wins.

09-26-2006, 12:23 PM
4 Sun, Oct 1 at Carolina
5 Sun, Oct 8 Tampa Bay
7 BYE WEEK
8 Sun, Oct 29 Baltimore
14 Sun, Dec 10 at Dallas
17 Sun, Dec 31 Carolina

They'll win:

1 - one of the Carolina games
2 & 3 - both Tampa Bay games
4 - either Philadelphia or Baltimore @ home
5 - San Francisco
6 - Washington

9-7

Flyboy
09-26-2006, 12:47 PM

Just like all the experts had Atlanta blowing us out last night. *yawns* I prefer it when people sleep on us. Keep it up.

TitleTown088
09-26-2006, 01:01 PM
of course they are real i just saw them on TV.

Number 10
09-26-2006, 01:17 PM

Just like all the experts had Atlanta blowing us out last night. *yawns* I prefer it when people sleep on us. Keep it up.

Well, you have every right to be confident right now. I would be too if I were a fan of the 3-0 Saints, so more power to you. But the Panthers started to click this week and I have to think that with every game Steve Smith plays, that team will take their game to the next level. I think the Panthers will win by 10+ this week, but by no means do I look down upon anyone for thinking the Saints will be 4-0 one week from today.

Splat
09-26-2006, 01:18 PM
of course they are real i just saw them on TV.

:roll:

Flyboy
09-26-2006, 01:47 PM

Well, you have every right to be confident right now. I would be too if I were a fan of the 3-0 Saints, so more power to you. But the Panthers started to click this week...

And, they still just barely beat a pretty 'eh' Tampa Bay team.

LonghornsLegend
09-26-2006, 01:58 PM
If the conspiracy theorists are right, this kind of thing is their best evidence, because that Atlanta team sure looked like they were trying to throw that game.

Someone brought that to my attention, that ATL was throwing that game....and honestly you never know, they beat that team up like the Saints outmatched them at every position, and the Falcons started off so horrible it was too hard to come back from....

but that game being thrown was brought to me by another person and its not totally out of the question

but looking at the remaining schedule, they could easily come out with 7 wins this year, so that means they would only need 2 upsets to make 9 wins...why are you guys acting like in the NFL the only team that wins is the favorite, have you never seen an underdog win before?

Why do you think its so hard for teams to not go 0-16, because one of those powerhouses you see on the Saints schedule will look over them to the next weeks opponent and end up losing because of it, so please lets not look and say oh they will lose all these games, when you have no idea how that will play out, we know how tom coughlin prepares for games, injuries could happen in that timeframe, and teams just flat out dont play well some sundays, if 7 wins is almost a lock for them, they could sneak out another 3...

diabsoule
09-26-2006, 02:31 PM
I think the Saints are for real and why I'm saying that is coaching. After watching the game last night, and then the previous two, Sean Payton is excellent at play calling, scheming, and finding how to attack the opposing offenses with his defensive personnel.

What Payton has done is taken out the "I' in "Team" and made this a cohesive unit on both sides of the ball. Brees is improving with each game he's played, Colston is turning into a stud and could possibly be in contention for OROY, and Bush leaves opposing defenses guessing.

Our questionable offensive line hasn't allowed that much pressure to get to Brees, our WR's are really stepping up, Deuce is showing that he still has what it takes and that all he needed was someone to spell him from time to time, Reggie Bush adds that other dimension to the offense and is as explosive as they come.

I know their schedule is tough but I see some upsets in the future.

I think we beat Carolina at least once. (1)
I think we beat TB both times. We play them hard and their offense is struggling (2,3)
I think we beat SF (4)
I think we beat Washington (5)
I think we beat NY Giants. I'm only saying this because Coughlin is losing it as a coach and his teams confidence in him is fading. (6)

That would put us at 9-7 and I think it would also put us in the playoffs.

Our far as the conspiracy theory. That's been eating away at the back of my mind. I hate to think that ATL just threw the game but they didn't look like a team that has knocked around TB and CAR. New Orleans looked really good and ATL looked really bad which makes me wonder.

SaintsMan
09-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Atlanta threw the game. :roll: Yeah, it's that hard to believe the Saints are a good team, people are saying the Falcons threw the game. :roll:

Some say the Saints don't have the talent, how did they win, blah, blah... Well, the Saints DO have talent, they were just missing the Coaching Staff, which they now have. Sure, we could use some more players, but most of the talent is already there. Just because you don't hear the players name on ESPN all the time, doesn't mean he isn't a good football player.

Splat
09-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Atlanta threw the game. :roll: Yeah, it's that hard to believe the Saints are a good team, people are saying the Falcons threw the game. :roll:

The bad thing is I new people would say that. :roll:

LonghornsLegend
09-26-2006, 03:04 PM

The bad thing is I new people would say that. :roll:

its not as far fetched as you think...personally i think NO outplayed the falcons and the atmosphere was more of a difference then u knew unless u were there....but it could happen and probably has happened before...

thats the govtmnts way of saying im sorry, im sure if they wanted it to happen they could of, if you doubt that then you have no idea what the government can pull off...

I dont believe it, but all im saying is i dont doubt it either...nothing against the Saints, because Payton is an offensive genious and he has been my favorite coach a long time, i liked him here in dallas and hated to see him go, but im glad he ended up in a good situation instead of somewhere like oakland

Splat
09-26-2006, 03:06 PM
They only play 16 games no way they threw the game it could be to huge one game could cost you a playoff spot ask my Chiefs.

Number 10
09-26-2006, 03:07 PM

Well, you have every right to be confident right now. I would be too if I were a fan of the 3-0 Saints, so more power to you. But the Panthers started to click this week...

And, they still just barely beat a pretty 'eh' Tampa Bay team.

On the road.

09-26-2006, 08:50 PM
they have a new coaching staff. they will not be contenders this year but in the coming years they may no longer be called the aints.

09-26-2006, 08:53 PM
I think the Saints are for real and why I'm saying that is coaching. After watching the game last night, and then the previous two, Sean Payton is excellent at play calling, scheming, and finding how to attack the opposing offenses with his defensive personnel.

What Payton has done is taken out the "I' in "Team" and made this a cohesive unit on both sides of the ball. Brees is improving with each game he's played, Colston is turning into a stud and could possibly be in contention for OROY, and Bush leaves opposing defenses guessing.

Our questionable offensive line hasn't allowed that much pressure to get to Brees, our WR's are really stepping up, Deuce is showing that he still has what it takes and that all he needed was someone to spell him from time to time, Reggie Bush adds that other dimension to the offense and is as explosive as they come.

I know their schedule is tough but I see some upsets in the future.

I think we beat Carolina at least once. (1)
I think we beat TB both times. We play them hard and their offense is struggling (2,3)
I think we beat SF (4)
I think we beat Washington (5)
I think we beat NY Giants. I'm only saying this because Coughlin is losing it as a coach and his teams confidence in him is fading. (6)

That would put us at 9-7 and I think it would also put us in the playoffs.

Our far as the conspiracy theory. That's been eating away at the back of my mind. I hate to think that ATL just threw the game but they didn't look like a team that has knocked around TB and CAR. New Orleans looked really good and ATL looked really bad which makes me wonder.could end up 9-7 but i think the two wild cards will come from the nfc east.

SaintsMan
09-26-2006, 10:22 PM
I don't think the Saints will have to worry about a wild card spot, I believe they'll win the NFC South.

yodabear
09-26-2006, 10:53 PM
U will know if they beat an actual NFL team on the road and if they can continue to play that well at home.

Dam8610
09-26-2006, 11:18 PM
If you consider "for real" to be a team that competes for a playoff spot in the NFC, then yes, the Saints will be "for real".

2drama
09-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Not buying into this Hype , for crying out loud it is only week 3. ATlanta had a bad game as a whole unit

Shiver
09-27-2006, 06:56 PM
In that stadium, on that slow surface concealing their defense's lack of speed*, I have no doubt they will win most if not all their home games. That means they will go 9-7 - 10-6, and that's assuming they do not win any road games which is unlikely.

* Re-watching the game, I saw Mike McKenzie, a corner who has looked like he was past his prime in past seasons run step for step with the Falcons fast receivers, when they weren't falling down on the turf. I also saw the Linebackers (Fujita, Simoneau, Shanle) contain Vick and Dunn on the edges, something Carolina and Tampa didn't have enough speed to do. Although one negative of that turf is Reggie Bush wasn't very explosive for the same reasons. The turf played a large factor in that game, and will continue to be a huge advantage for them the rest of the season.

P-L
09-27-2006, 07:00 PM
OMG! Look I can use the " :roll: " too. Does that make me special? It must make me special because this thread is obviously a contest to see how many " :roll: " one can use.

The Unseen
09-27-2006, 07:37 PM
* Re-watching the game, I saw Mike McKenzie, a corner who has looked like he was past his prime in past seasons run step for step with the Falcons fast receivers, when they weren't falling down on the turf. I also saw the Linebackers (Fujita, Simoneau, Shanle) contain Vick and Dunn on the edges, something Carolina and Tampa didn't have enough speed to do. Although one negative of that turf is Reggie Bush wasn't very explosive for the same reasons. The turf played a large factor in that game, and will continue to be a huge advantage for them the rest of the season.

Have you not been a big proponent of Dwight Freeney, in that you think the negative vibe about him is false? Because using this argument, then Dwight Freeney is indeed a product of the turf in the RCA dome. I could be wrong, but if I'm right, than what you said could be seriously contradictory.

Shiver
09-27-2006, 07:39 PM
No I haven't, I have always held the notion that on that turf, in that enviroment, Freeney is a beast. Whereas his impact on the game is no where near what it is on the road.

The Unseen
09-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Okay, just checking.

Shiver
09-27-2006, 07:46 PM
That was the foremost thing that stood out to me. They will not lose on that turf to any speed based teams, period.

jackalope
09-27-2006, 08:12 PM
i don't think they would have beaten the falcons if it wasn't for all the emotion on monday. i don't think they'll make the playoffs but i'd like to be proven wrong.

SaintsMan
09-27-2006, 09:14 PM
The New Orleans Saints play on Momentum Turf, designed to maximize player speed and performance. Also provides stability, traction, and speed, simulating a perfect natural grass. So this is an extremely fast, yet safe playing field

If anything, players will be faster on our field

Shiver
09-27-2006, 09:28 PM
The New Orleans Saints play on Momentum Turf, designed to maximize player speed and performance. Also provides stability, traction, and speed, simulating a perfect natural grass. So this is an extremely fast, yet safe playing field

If anything, players will be faster on our field after a year or so of use.

Fixed for accuracy. It played very slow, due to how new the turf was, and I am not the only person who noticed. On monday it was slippery, with many instances where Falcons (Roddy White, Michael Jenkins, Patrick Kerney) and Saints (Reggie Bush) slid.

SaintsMan
09-27-2006, 09:35 PM

If anything, players will be faster on our field after a year or so of use.

Fixed for accuracy.

Even if this were the case, the Saints playing on the same field would make them slow along with the Falcons. It's not like the Saints players had special shoes on or anything, the field was the same for both teams. People need to stop reaching for reasons we won , as I've heard everything from the field to the game being fixed.

Shiver
09-27-2006, 09:42 PM
First, I have given plenty of credit to your coaching staff and the job they have done with that organization. Secondly, it did play a major factor in the game. The Falcons were a gear higher than the Panthers and Buccaneers, when it comes to team speed. Yet they play a Saints defense that has concerns about team speed and you had Scott Fujita doing what Derrick Brooks couldn't, keep Vick from the edge. You also had Mike McKenzie running step for step with Ashley Lelie. Thomas and McKenzie were exploited by Green Bay's receivers, but the Falcons speedy receivers couldn't get a lick of seperation. As I said, that's a good thing for the Saints, they may sweep all their home games and get into the playoffs, good for them, they deserve a home field advantage after what the NFL did to them last year.

As I noted, Reggie Bush wasn't as effective because of the turf, he slipped a couple of times, and didn't make any explosive plays because he couldn't do his usual stop on a dime moves. So it didn't just affect the Falcons, but the Saints team is designed in a way in which they would benefit in a slowed down game. With a big road grading O-Line, big physical receivers, and a physical defense. Playing against a team based off speed on every level.

Shane P. Hallam
09-27-2006, 10:12 PM
First year coaches really have that big of impact. I can't see them winning the division, and likely missing the playoffs.

Two Words: Marques Colston.

SaintsMan
09-27-2006, 10:13 PM
First, I have given plenty of credit to your coaching staff and the job they have done with that organization. Secondly, it did play a major factor in the game. The Falcons were a gear higher than the Panthers and Buccaneers, when it comes to team speed. Yet they play a Saints defense that has concerns about team speed and you had Scott Fujita doing what Derrick Brooks couldn't, keep Vick from the edge. You also had Mike McKenzie running step for step with Ashley Lelie. Thomas and McKenzie were exploited by Green Bay's receivers, but the Falcons speedy receivers couldn't get a lick of seperation. As I said, that's a good thing for the Saints, they may sweep all their home games and get into the playoffs, good for them, they deserve a home field advantage after what the NFL did to them last year.

As I noted, Reggie Bush wasn't as effective because of the turf, he slipped a couple of times, and didn't make any explosive plays because he couldn't do his usual stop on a dime moves. So it didn't just affect the Falcons, but the Saints team is designed in a way in which they would benefit in a slowed down game. With a big road grading O-Line, big physical receivers, and a physical defense. Playing against a team based off speed on every level.

Acutally, Fred Thomas played great against the Packers and his effort continued against the Falcons. On the other hand, Mike McKenzie was picked apart on several occasions, as he is a gambler, plays the wide reciever instead of the ball and takes bad angles on tackles. Sean Payton had to get in his face often during the game against Greenbay because of his play on the field. He knows McKenzie can be a good corner in this league, he has shown the abilily, Mike just needs to know when to gamble, play the ball and use proper technic. Improvement has been made, as evident against the Falcons and hopefully he keeps an open mind and listens to what the coaching staff is trying to teach.

Scott Fujita has always been a fast and underrated Linebacker.

How do you know Ashley Lelie was running at full speed? It makes no sense for this field to make slow players fast and fast players slow.

And sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought you were trying to make excuses fot Atlanta.