PDA

View Full Version : Texas vs Oklahoma

10-01-2006, 01:31 AM
Who you got?

Namy
10-01-2006, 02:32 AM
Call me crazy, but I got OU. I have a feeling this game will catapault AD in the heisman vote.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Texas all the way won't be a blowout like last year but I think 28-17. AP will be held down.

Shane P. Hallam
10-01-2006, 10:34 AM
I'm pulling for Texas, but I think OK squeaks it out.

danman253
10-01-2006, 10:35 AM
OU. Peterson will have a good game, but McCoy is gonna struggle IMO, and the OU defense takes advantage of his mistakes.

24-16 OU

HawkeyeFan
10-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Oklahoma!

P-L
10-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Oklahoma. McCoy struggled in his first big game and I'm not sold that Rice and Sam Houston State "prepared" him for Oklahoma like a lot of experts have suggested. A healthy Adrian Peterson is the best player in the country and so far Paul Thompson has done just enough to keep defenses honest. High scoring with a lot of rushing yards from both teams, but Adrian Peterson will be too much.

Oklahoma - 31, Texas 24

SeanTaylorRIP
10-01-2006, 01:32 PM
It will be Jamal Charles who runs wild not Adrian Peterson.

keylime_5
10-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Texas is a heckuva team. I think that Paul Thompson is gonna have a bad day and Oklahoma's D is gonna play bad

Ward
10-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Texas by a large margin. Don't fool yourselves.

LonghornsLegend
10-02-2006, 12:43 PM
you guys are underestimating mccoy...he's gotten so much better since that ohio st game, besides it was his 2nd start of the year....

paul thompson is alot worse, while both teams have great defenses, thompson is prone to make ALOT more mistakes....

peterson and charles will both have big games though....but i think you have to look outside of rb and qb, texas has way too many athletes at wr, o line, and defense as a whole....were not going against troy smith and ginn now, peterson you can believe will see 8 man fronts alot, its going to be alot harder for them to put 8 in the box for us because of sweed

is this going to be a bigger game then lsu vs florida?

LonghornsLegend
10-02-2006, 12:43 PM
you guys are underestimating mccoy...he's gotten so much better since that ohio st game, besides it was his 2nd start of the year....

paul thompson is alot worse, while both teams have great defenses, thompson is prone to make ALOT more mistakes....

peterson and charles will both have big games though....but i think you have to look outside of rb and qb, texas has way too many athletes at wr, o line, and defense as a whole....were not going against troy smith and ginn now, peterson you can believe will see 8 man fronts alot, its going to be alot harder for them to put 8 in the box for us because of sweed

is this going to be a bigger game then lsu vs florida?

therock6000
10-02-2006, 12:46 PM
UT...should be a good one...

RyanLeaf#1
10-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Oklahoma 54 Texas 42

Last time I checked there is just as many defensive as offensive players on the field.

P-L
10-02-2006, 01:19 PM
I think that OU defense will click eventually. On paper, they are a top 5 defense but they haven't played like it. I think as they continue to play together they'll play up to their abilities. I think it'll be a real close one.

Dave
10-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Seeing as how I was raised in Texas, I obviously chose UT. I hope UT beats the mess out of Oklahoma. But to make this post meaningful, i'll analyze both teams.

Oklahoma:

Positives -
Rufus Alexander can lead that defense and make ridiculous plays all day long, but that's only if he's having an on day, if he's having an off day you might as well count out the Okalhoma Defense.

Adrian Peterson much ? Does anyone have to explain the amazingness that is AP, I mean honestly.

Negatives-
Paul Thompson: a QB converted WR converted back to QB, that's how much indescision they had about him. Given, Bomar was starting over him and everyone knew Bomar was going to be better they still felt like Paul had a better chance playing WR than QB and that puts a sign out there. He still has the arm obviously but it's the vision and accuracy to see the field and place it where it SHOULD be he's lacking at the moment. Something he would of developed had they left him at QB instead of moving him to WR. My biggest question for Paul Thompson is, will he begin to move out of the pocket and make plays ? OU isn't known for their scrambling QB's, but when you have one you work with it.

O-Line: Where have they been this year, they've played amazing at times and totally forgotten they have an inexperienced QB behind them who needs extra time. I don't have a lot of negatives for them because they've been good, but can they stand up to the UT d-line that has been dishing it out all year ?

UT:

Positives -

Jamaal Charles: Obviously coming into the role of RB better than Adrian Peterson did his second year, but is he the real deal. I really wish they would just start Charles the rest of the year and make Young the back up RB, but Young has waited his turn to start through Cedric Benson and injuries. Only time will tell, and if he puts it to the OU defense, this could be a pretty big game for Charles.

Colt McCoy: On the upslide for now I think, he's shown flashes of brilliance but against a Big Ten defense in OSU he didn't perform that well. I can't say it was all his fault but he could of done better. Hopefully he can decimate the OU secondary while they're still finding out how to cover receivers.

Negatives -

Defensive backs: I mean for real guys.. whats up with that defensive secondary for Texas just gettin beaten up. Ohio State surely didn't notice they were there and they've been giving up stupid plays constantly. What happened to UT having a secondary that people feared and that knocked people out. I liked that defense, and personally want it back.

WR's, most notably Billy Pittman: Where's my boy at? Mr. You can't catch me turned into Mr. I don't like to run. This kid needs some hussle put back into him and it's annoying to see such a great group of WR's with uncountable potential act like a bunch of children on the playing field when they could very well rip up any team on any given day. I just want them to perform.. that would be nice.

Don't get too mad at me for my opinions, simply subjective here.

LonghornsLegend
10-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Seeing as how I was raised in Texas, I obviously chose UT. I hope UT beats the mess out of Oklahoma. But to make this post meaningful, i'll analyze both teams.

Oklahoma:

Positives -
Rufus Alexander can lead that defense and make ridiculous plays all day long, but that's only if he's having an on day, if he's having an off day you might as well count out the Okalhoma Defense.

Adrian Peterson much ? Does anyone have to explain the amazingness that is AP, I mean honestly.

Negatives-
Paul Thompson: a QB converted WR converted back to QB, that's how much indescision they had about him. Given, Bomar was starting over him and everyone knew Bomar was going to be better they still felt like Paul had a better chance playing WR than QB and that puts a sign out there. He still has the arm obviously but it's the vision and accuracy to see the field and place it where it SHOULD be he's lacking at the moment. Something he would of developed had they left him at QB instead of moving him to WR. My biggest question for Paul Thompson is, will he begin to move out of the pocket and make plays ? OU isn't known for their scrambling QB's, but when you have one you work with it.

O-Line: Where have they been this year, they've played amazing at times and totally forgotten they have an inexperienced QB behind them who needs extra time. I don't have a lot of negatives for them because they've been good, but can they stand up to the UT d-line that has been dishing it out all year ?

UT:

Positives -

Jamaal Charles: Obviously coming into the role of RB better than Adrian Peterson did his second year, but is he the real deal. I really wish they would just start Charles the rest of the year and make Young the back up RB, but Young has waited his turn to start through Cedric Benson and injuries. Only time will tell, and if he puts it to the OU defense, this could be a pretty big game for Charles.

Colt McCoy: On the upslide for now I think, he's shown flashes of brilliance but against a Big Ten defense in OSU he didn't perform that well. I can't say it was all his fault but he could of done better. Hopefully he can decimate the OU secondary while they're still finding out how to cover receivers.

Negatives -

Defensive backs: I mean for real guys.. whats up with that defensive secondary for Texas just gettin beaten up. Ohio State surely didn't notice they were there and they've been giving up stupid plays constantly. What happened to UT having a secondary that people feared and that knocked people out. I liked that defense, and personally want it back.

WR's, most notably Billy Pittman: Where's my boy at? Mr. You can't catch me turned into Mr. I don't like to run. This kid needs some hussle put back into him and it's annoying to see such a great group of WR's with uncountable potential act like a bunch of children on the playing field when they could very well rip up any team on any given day. I just want them to perform.. that would be nice.

Don't get too mad at me for my opinions, simply subjective here.

I like what you said about selvin young, your exactly right thats the only reason he is starting, and he has earned it because we cant forget the promise and talent he showed behind benson those years....

but i disagree with the wr's aspect, ALOT....i think that's the under rated part of our offense I agree but they have the talent to make the plays when needed, did you see the game where UT played Iowa St? Jermichael Finley jumped up and snatached the ball away at its highest point out of the arms of the safety and db and pulled it down, going to be a future top 10 TE from UT, sweed makes a great play every game ive seen thus far, whether deep ball or short screen broken into a long gain, pittmann has the talent we all know, and i think if called upon for a big play he would deliver without a problem, i just think its on the offensive coordinator to deliver the plays and mccoy to play with confidence, but i trust him more then i think i would if i had paul thompson for OU and im happy for the easy past few games, that was more for him probably then our whole team playing UNT, Sam houston st, and Rice

P-L
10-02-2006, 09:40 PM
I know he hasn't played a great defense yet, but has anyone watched Paul Thompson? This isn't the same guy that played TCU last year. Thompson has played very well so far this year. He did struggle in his first game, but has looked great since. He ranks 13th in the NCAA in Passing Efficiency, only two spots behind Troy Smith. The main problem for him will be inexperience, but McCoy isn't the most experienced QB either. I'm not guaranteeing OU wins, but it's ridiculous to say they won't because Paul Thompson is their QB.

LonghornsLegend
10-02-2006, 09:58 PM
I never did, i just said id trust mccoy with our rb's and wr's and strong o line before i would paul thompson with ad, their line, and their wr's....im not basing that solely on talent and experience with just the player in question, basing it on surrounding factors as well as their talent...

but it will go down to the final minutes, the past few years have been blow outs either way but this one will be close and i will even admit it could go either way but i will say ill be surprised if we lose, i think were alot better team then the OSU game showed, and overall as a team match up alot better then OU does with us, i cant say that about anyone else on our schedule but the buckeyes and they matched up better with us at the key positions

Dave
10-02-2006, 10:19 PM
I like what you said about selvin young, your exactly right thats the only reason he is starting, and he has earned it because we cant forget the promise and talent he showed behind benson those years....

but i disagree with the wr's aspect, ALOT....i think that's the under rated part of our offense I agree but they have the talent to make the plays when needed, did you see the game where UT played Iowa St? Jermichael Finley jumped up and snatached the ball away at its highest point out of the arms of the safety and db and pulled it down, going to be a future top 10 TE from UT, sweed makes a great play every game ive seen thus far, whether deep ball or short screen broken into a long gain, pittmann has the talent we all know, and i think if called upon for a big play he would deliver without a problem, i just think its on the offensive coordinator to deliver the plays and mccoy to play with confidence, but i trust him more then i think i would if i had paul thompson for OU and im happy for the easy past few games, that was more for him probably then our whole team playing UNT, Sam houston st, and Rice

I agree our Receiver's are underrated but you used Iowa State as an example. They play in the Big 12 North, no one will ever take a Big 12 North team serious until they win the Big 12. Especially not Iowa State. They have few bright spots on that team. Granted, Finley made an amazing catch and we've shown we can play. I think you would agree with me when I say that we should be doing this more than once a game though. We've got the potential to be putting up the same 50 points a game that Vince did.

I feel Pittman heard the " you play like Roy Williams " thing too quick. I've heard reporters say it, and it pisses me off. Pittman isn't producing enough to even be comparable to Williams. Granted, in the NFL Williams is doing jack crap other than talking. Comparable in that regard, yes; Comparable in talent, I think not. I think Pittman could be like Roy Williams, but at this time, that would be overrating him.

P-L
10-02-2006, 10:29 PM
I never did, i just said id trust mccoy with our rb's and wr's and strong o line before i would paul thompson with ad, their line, and their wr's....im not basing that solely on talent and experience with just the player in question, basing it on surrounding factors as well as their talent...

but it will go down to the final minutes, the past few years have been blow outs either way but this one will be close and i will even admit it could go either way but i will say ill be surprised if we lose, i think were alot better team then the OSU game showed, and overall as a team match up alot better then OU does with us, i cant say that about anyone else on our schedule but the buckeyes and they matched up better with us at the key positions

I wasn't actually adressing you. I actually had typed up my post before I saw yours. :lol:

thetedginnshow
10-02-2006, 10:51 PM
RUUUUUUUUUUFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS

...and that's all they really need. :P

Dave
10-02-2006, 10:54 PM

Nice explanation there, you're argument already invalid. Rufus Alexander is a great player, noted; but, surprise, he's inconsistent and makes horrid plays sometimes that he shouldn't. I had him as one of the best LB's in the NCAA coming into this year, boy has he dissapointed as such. Rufus Alexander is a has been at this point, he'll really have to do some superman bs to change my mind.

thetedginnshow
10-02-2006, 10:59 PM

Nice explanation there, you're argument already invalid. Rufus Alexander is a great player, noted; but, surprise, he's inconsistent and makes horrid plays sometimes that he shouldn't. I had him as one of the best LB's in the NCAA coming into this year, boy has he dissapointed as such. Rufus Alexander is a has been at this point, he'll really have to do some superman bs to change my mind.

You are the most serious person ever. Rock your angry face!

Dave
10-02-2006, 11:03 PM

You're right I am the most serious person ever, because I have a passion for football. If you're gonna make some ho-dunk comment, the least you could do is back it up. That's like predicting the score for a game, it's pointless unless you justify it.

thetedginnshow
10-02-2006, 11:06 PM

You're right I am the most serious person ever, because I have a passion for football. If you're gonna make some ho-dunk comment, the least you could do is back it up. That's like predicting the score for a game, it's pointless unless you justify it.

Or, you know, I could have just been posting for fun rather than furiously posting with the passion of 5,000 lions and a stick up my backside. But hey, all the more power to the most passionate football fan ever, David D. Dave.

Dave
10-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Or, you know, I could have just been posting for fun rather than furiously posting with the passion of 5,000 lions and a stick up my backside. But hey, all the more power to the most passionate football fan ever, David D. Dave.

It's actually David E. Ward, and you can call me Mr. Ward; The only thing I got goin on behind me is some back hair; and if you want me to lighten up use an emoticon, it's the only way I can try and put emotion to your otherwise lifeless words, it's the internet, use common sense.

P-L
10-02-2006, 11:13 PM

It's actually David E. Ward, and you can call me Mr. Ward; The only thing I got goin on behind me is some back hair; and if you want me to lighten up use an emoticon, it's the only way I can try and put emotion to your otherwise lifeless words, it's the internet, use common sense.

How do we know that you are actually Ward's brother? What if Ward doesn't have a brother and you're just Ward pretending to be his non-existant brother?

thetedginnshow
10-02-2006, 11:14 PM

Fantastic! I'll keep that one in mind! Thank you! Thank you very much!

...Oh wait. I actually used an emoticon in my first post you responded to. Well hot damn.

Dave
10-02-2006, 11:17 PM
How do we know that you are actually Ward's brother? What if Ward doesn't have a brother and you're just Ward pretending to be his non-existant brother?

The recockulousness of the situation you just created makes me real. Think about that one.

Dave
10-02-2006, 11:18 PM
...Oh wait. I actually used an emoticon in my first post you responded to. Well hot damn.

Send me a pm if you wanna continue this debate but it's un needed in this thread.

oregonbucfan
10-02-2006, 11:27 PM
As much as I couldnt stand the way some OU fans acted after the Oregon game... Im still pulling for them

OU 38
Texas 27

LonghornsLegend
10-04-2006, 09:21 PM
the polls very close, ill be at the fair most likely sometime this weekend, but havent decided if i will watch it at a bar again or at home....much rather stay at the house and just buy all the food and beer i will need....alot cheaper and those bars get to crowded, plus im tired of going to hooters and them having 24 sexy waitresses working but i get the one with glasses and weighs 101 lbs :x

P-L
10-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Is 101 lbs too fat? :lol:

LonghornsLegend
10-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Is 101 lbs too fat? :lol:

hell no too skinny :lol: u know how every hooters always has a nice amount of girls with ass and breast, some with both, and there is always at least one skinny one that i end up stuck in her section with her in my face all game smh...

now i just walk in, stand in the doorway like im looking for someone and sit down right by where i see the fine one serving :P

Geo
10-07-2006, 02:42 PM
3 and out by Texas to start the game, despite a nice return by Selvin Young.

nrk
10-07-2006, 03:54 PM
3 and out by Texas to start the game, despite a nice return by Selvin Young.

Yeah, great game so far, tied and OU just got it to the 20, but another fumble. Luckily it went out of bounds, OU has to keep a hold on the ball :x

draftguru151
10-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Peterson is having a great first half on the ground and his punt return was amazing as well. He has very underrated speed.

P-L
10-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Peterson is having a great first half on the ground and his punt return was amazing as well. He has very underrated speed.

It was reported that he ran a 4.35 at OU, but it was at OU so you have to take it with a grain of salt. And I've said it many times, he gets to the edge quicker than most backs that are faster than him.

draftguru151
10-07-2006, 04:08 PM
His acceleration is out of this world.

Geo
10-07-2006, 04:10 PM
AD is fantastic for play-action passing.

Pokeys
10-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Call me crazy, but I got OU. I have a feeling this game will catapault AD in the heisman vote.

yeah sure thing....

I like how he just quit on that play that led to a Texas touchdown. Giving it a 100%...

draftguru151
10-07-2006, 05:35 PM

yeah sure thing....

I like how he just quit on that play that led to a Texas touchdown. Giving it a 100%...

He thought it was a forward pass because it was, he didn't give up, he just realized what happened. :?

AD is playing well, Thompson is just playing terribly.

P-L
10-07-2006, 05:50 PM
You can't knock AD for that play. He did his part, but the Texas defense shut down Paul Thompson.

Pokeys
10-07-2006, 05:57 PM
You can't knock AD for that play. He did his part, but the Texas defense shut down Paul Thompson.

Young & Charles >>> Peterson

in the game. Peterson fumbled the ball once and only had like 4.3 yard per carry which is still pretty good but he didnt have a huge game. And he shouldnt have quit on that backward pass there.

P-L
10-07-2006, 06:02 PM

I'm not going to give it you, but if you get the homer label, don't act shocked.

draftguru151
10-07-2006, 06:11 PM

I'm not going to give it you, but if you get the homer label, don't act shocked.

He is the reason I put the line in my sig.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Michael Griffin is a surefire 1st rounder now after watching that game, at first I thought at best Aaron Ross was a late 2nd-3rd rounder but I wouldn't be surprised to see him taken in the first, him and Griffin had some crazy hits.

Pokeys
10-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Your telling me you guys dont think that Young & Charles together played better in that game than Peterson? They had more yards combined no fumbles and a better Yards Per CARRY.

Might want to read my comments over again because I didnt say neither of them were better than Peterson.

LonghornsLegend
10-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Thoughts on the game:

Oklahoma;
They played a strong overall game, what stuck out the most to me was their WR's ability to make the big plays to keep drives alive, I for one wrote them off but they showed me alot and look to be the strong part of their offense last year....Peterson is what he's always been, makes me sick he chose OU being a Texas fan but it is what it is, he shows that he will be an amazing NFL RB and is on another level as far as play, but Texas keyed in on him and made alot of big hits...I just felt like the difference for them was in the trenches, both of their lines were wore down by Texas in the 2nd half and it kept alot of drives alive and stuffed alot of runs by peterson...Peterson played decent, but he just has to make bigger plays, it was out downfall in tOSU game and same for them this game...he needed a few big down field plays to keep us honest, it never happened so we stacked at the line and have athleticism to make those plays....

Texas;
Im not a Colt McCoy fan more so then I was Jevan Snead due to raw athleticism and talent but mccoy impresses me more and more each game...he's very efficient and shows he wont make the major mistakes, ala chris simms when he had control of the team....he still makes some bad throws but he also puts it in the spot where his wr's can make a play on the ball and its been working...Limas Sweed is very underrated and with his roy williams NFL build he is increasing his stock every day...On defense I still would like to see better play from the secondary on deep balls, alot of plays Ross was beat deep and was able to make a great play due to a bad thompson pass, where as troy smith was making them....He is a great corner, but his straight line speed isnt the greatest and i think teams try to exploit that....our d line and lb's is what anchors this team...the lb corps is fast enough to stay in pass coverage, and the d line puts so much pressure on the run or pass....And im also happy with the rb split we have with Young and Charles, keeps defenses honest and 2 fresh legs in the game...

Overall: I think both teams are very good this year, but i strongly believe Rhett Bomar would of made a slight difference, maybe not to win the game, but to keep it closer, where as Mccoy stepped up and made the big plays that either team would need....That Oregon game still hurts OU because they are talented enough to win out, and would only have one loss, and i can tell from bob stoops all game that game still stings

TCU
10-07-2006, 08:53 PM
I just got back from the game i had row 2 seats right on the corner of the goal-line where all the touchdowns were, my seats were so sick.

Ward
10-08-2006, 01:53 AM
Texas by a large margin. Don't fool yourselves.

How about that. All you OU morons were wrong.

jayceheathman
10-08-2006, 02:51 AM
I just got back from the game i had row 2 seats right on the corner of the goal-line where all the touchdowns were, my seats were so sick.

I dont even want to know how much you paid for those tickets. It was probably some rediculous amount. First you get tickets to the TCU vs TECH game and now UT vs OU. Damn, you get all the good games.

Pokeys
10-08-2006, 10:40 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/jeffnee/soonerkidcrying.jpg

LonghornsLegend
10-08-2006, 10:50 AM
that was priceless when they showed him crying at the end of the game lol...