PDA

View Full Version : Charles Grant /Saints agree on a seven-year contract

Caddy
04-27-2007, 03:30 AM
The New Orleans Saints reached agreement with free-agent defensive end Charles Grant on a seven-year contract worth up to $63 million, including $20 million of guaranteed money. Grant will make $24 million over the first three years of the deal and $35 million over the first five. Grant, the Saints' franchise player, had visited the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

So much for looking at him next year.

etk
04-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Calais Campbell FTW!

-black
04-27-2007, 08:41 AM
we wont have a chance at Campbell

Caddy
04-27-2007, 08:47 AM
we wont have a chance at Campbell

Moses was arguably the top DE going into 06/07 and look what happened to him.

-black
04-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Campbell is not Moses

if you want to be politically correct then fine. I also can say "Darren McFadden might be avialable in the 3rd round"

but from watching these layers play, its easy to know "who is ALMOST a lock at a spot" and who had a great season but still was questonable. Moses was one dimesional and relied on one stat......sacks. Campebell is not

IMHO, we will not have a chance at him

etk
04-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Campbell is definitely a lock to go in the top 10, but it's not like we as a team are a lock to not finish in the bottom 10 again.

Caddy
04-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Campbell is definitely a lock to go in the top 10, but it's not like we as a team are a lock to not finish in the bottom 10 again.

In a world of NFL parody It would not be crazy that the Buccaneers finish 8-8 or thereabouts. Afterall, the Saints went from the 2nd worst team in the NFL to one of the best, albeit from good FA pick-ups and Bush/Colston. However the possibility is still there.

-black
04-27-2007, 06:48 PM
I think Campbell will be a top 3 pick, and possibly (depending on whose picking) the number 1 overall pick

etk
04-27-2007, 07:15 PM
In a world of NFL parody It would not be crazy that the Buccaneers finish 8-8 or thereabouts. Afterall, the Saints went from the 2nd worst team in the NFL to one of the best, albeit from good FA pick-ups and Bush/Colston. However the possibility is still there.

I never said anything otherwise. Our division (and conference) typically tends to flip-flop from worst to last every year. One year you struggle, but the next you win the division with an easier schedule. Then you struggle again with a tougher schedule the year after. I would be shocked if we didn't greatly improve next year record-wise, that's how tight our conference is talent-wise.

-black
04-27-2007, 07:17 PM
i'm hoping Simms takes that next step and takes QB off the list of concerns for our team.

Chucky
04-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Im happy that we didnt get grant if it would have cost us this much

etk
04-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Im happy that we didnt get grant if it would have cost us this much

Chucky, I don't think you understand the new cap revolution quite yet. There is major inflation with contracts and signing bonuses, and all good players will be "overpaid", including draft picks. In time you will learn to adjust your judgement like the rest of us, but also keep in mind that players like Nate Clements and others won't see every cent from the massive contracts they sign.

Caddy
04-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Chucky, I don't think you understand the new cap revolution quite yet. There is major inflation with contracts and signing bonuses, and all good players will be "overpaid", including draft picks. In time you will learn to adjust your judgement like the rest of us, but also keep in mind that players like Nate Clements and others won't see every cent from the massive contracts they sign.

Sure the contracts are going to be inflated, but Grant still probably got more money than he deserved. It is simple economics in effect and the salary cap is going to grow steadily for years, with players salaries continuously increasing.

-black
04-27-2007, 08:47 PM
its better to overpay for a great starter than underpay for a nobody

Chucky
04-27-2007, 09:11 PM

I realize that and understand that he wont be getting all the money, but that does not meant that i do not believe that he is overpaid, this shows even more how important it is in the draft to get homegrown talent who can come on the cheap. Man I hope spencer drops to us in the second

-black
04-27-2007, 09:43 PM
even if we got Spencer in the 2nd. Eventually he will become a RFA and wont big time contract money if he becomes a star and we will have to pay or lose him

Caddy
04-27-2007, 09:49 PM
even if we got Spencer in the 2nd. Eventually he will become a RFA and wont big time contract money if he becomes a star and we will have to pay or lose him

Better to have him from 4-5 years than no years.

-black
04-27-2007, 09:55 PM
do 2nd round picks get 4-5 year contracts or 3?

etk
04-27-2007, 10:01 PM

Guys drafted in the 2nd are rarely signed to 3 year contracts, thus he will never be an RFA.

-black
04-27-2007, 10:05 PM
how does rarely=never?

Caddy
04-28-2007, 03:05 AM
Contract lengths can completely vary from team to team, player to player.