PDA

View Full Version : Official Eagles Draft Day Thread

bsaza2358
04-25-2007, 02:43 PM
I am creating this thread now. Any comments about the Eagles draft picks, trades, etc. should be posted here and here only. We are trying to keep the discussions in one place. Keep them here. We can have separate threads about signings and other things, but keep the draft day stuff in this thread. I will be locking or merging all other draft day threads into this discussion, so stick with this thread. Thanks!

DraftMasterG
04-25-2007, 03:25 PM
thanks for making this its a great idea

anyways i cant wait for my eagles draft. I hope we get ted ginn jr or dwayne jarret. Micheal griffon meh maybe

eaglesalltheway
04-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Good idea, I expected something like this. ^^^I would prefer Griffin over either of those two.

bsaza2358
04-25-2007, 03:34 PM
If the Eagles draft Ted Ginn, Jr. at any spot besides #26 overall, I will be very upset.

bsaza2358
04-25-2007, 03:35 PM
As a side note, we can discuss draft wants and needs in other threads. This thread is meant for Saturday and Sunday. I don't want to come back and see 18 draft day threads.

eaglesalltheway
04-25-2007, 03:45 PM
I figured that is what you meant, but clearing it up was probably a good idea.

cunningham06
04-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Here's something encouraging:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=kluck/quarterbacks/070425

Safety is the safest position in the first round historically, only 11% of safety picks have been busts.

eaglesalltheway
04-25-2007, 06:48 PM
That is interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Are they pretty close to the top of the list in terms of the safest pick?

cunningham06
04-25-2007, 07:26 PM
The very top, linebacker is second with 16%

eaglesalltheway
04-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Good. But from now on I think we should try to wait to use this discussion until Saturday.

machoking6
04-27-2007, 09:16 AM
First of all, I'm not an avid writer on the Eagles message board, but I enjoy reading everyone's opinions. We're easily the most knowledgeable group of fans in the NFL. We're passionate about our team, and it reflected in our writings on this message board. I would often go on other team's message boards and see them come up with these unrealistic, unreasonable trade scenarios for there particular team to trade up or down. You don't see nonsense like that on here and for that I commend everyone.

Second of all, I would like to make a point that the Eagles know exactly what they're doing on draft day. I think a majority of us can agree on that. We've had our bumps and bruises with guys like Freddie Mitchell and Jerome McDougle, but I'd like to think we've made up for that with guys like Donovan McNabb, Shawn Andrews, Lito Sheppard, Sheldon Brown, Brian Westbrook, Todd Herremans, Trent Cole, and Reggie Brown to name a couple. Let's all remember the infamous McNabb Draft Day and how mad many of us were. Then let us smile at the fact that we got one of the best QBs in the league, and the guy we wanted is now attempting to be reinstated back into the league. This further proves my state that the Eagles know exactly what they're doing on draft day.

If it's a DE, don't fret. Darren Howard is aging, Kearse is continually hurtin, and McDougle may not be with this team much longer. Anthony Spencer had received many props from Big Ten lineman. Jarvis Moss, although not great against the run, is extremely fast and has much upside and has been compared to Jevon Kearse. John Fox said it best in regards to his selection of Julius Peppers over Joey Harrington: "You never pass up on an elite pass rusher." In regards to Moss and Spencer, I suppose you never know if that could be the case.

If it's a LB, no worries. Sure, we seem to have a nice starting 3 with Trotter, Spikes, and Gaither. Trotter is running on his last legs. Spikes is older, and was hurt recently. Gocong is waiting in the wings, and we'll see what his role will eventually be. The way I look at it with this position, it'll help build for our future as well as our present. Trotter and Spikes will be gone in soon time. Beason, Timmons, Posluszny can all play and help form a very nice trio with the likes of Gocong and Gaither.

If it's a CB, then it's all good. Joselio Hanson and Will James have 1 year contracts. Houston or Ross could provide nice special teams play, good play in particular packages, and can be groomed to be nice nickel backs and eventual starters. We drafted Lito and Sheldon when we had a good group of DBs, and that worked out well for us before. Why couldn't it again?

If it's a S, then we'd all be smiling. Dawkins will have to call it quits soon. Considine is still learning and getting bigger. Whether it's Michael Griffin or Brandon Meriweather, I think we'll all be happy regardless of who it is. Each of them have their knocks on them, but each of them have such a tremendous future that lies ahead of them. I will not be disappointed with either one. Heck, if we selected Eric Weddle I would be happy. Not many people would, but this is the guy who limited Calvin Johnson in the Emerald Bowl 2 years ago. He's a smart player. He lacks flash, and he isn't the "sexy" pick. But this guy intercepted many balls, and took them to the house for TDs. I don't care who you are, that's a tough thing to do. So if you hear his name, don't worry, be happy.

To reiterate my point, the Eagles know what they're doing. I have full confidence in them on draft day, and I hope many of you do as well. We're very lucky to be cheering for a team that doesn't have many gaping holes. We have options. We can build depth. We can build for the future. We can build an entire 2nd string defense for rotation purposes. We can do whatever we choose to do, and not many teams are that lucky to do so. We're in good hands Eagles fans. With that being said, Fly Eagles, Fly.

bsaza2358
04-27-2007, 12:37 PM
First of all, I'm not an avid writer on the Eagles message board, but I enjoy reading everyone's opinions. We're easily the most knowledgeable group of fans in the NFL. We're passionate about our team, and it reflected in our writings on this message board. I would often go on other team's message boards and see them come up with these unrealistic, unreasonable trade scenarios for there particular team to trade up or down. You don't see nonsense like that on here and for that I commend everyone.

Second of all, I would like to make a point that the Eagles know exactly what they're doing on draft day. I think a majority of us can agree on that. We've had our bumps and bruises with guys like Freddie Mitchell and Jerome McDougle, but I'd like to think we've made up for that with guys like Donovan McNabb, Shawn Andrews, Lito Sheppard, Sheldon Brown, Brian Westbrook, Todd Herremans, Trent Cole, and Reggie Brown to name a couple. Let's all remember the infamous McNabb Draft Day and how mad many of us were. Then let us smile at the fact that we got one of the best QBs in the league, and the guy we wanted is now attempting to be reinstated back into the league. This further proves my state that the Eagles know exactly what they're doing on draft day.

If it's a DE, don't fret. Darren Howard is aging, Kearse is continually hurtin, and McDougle may not be with this team much longer. Anthony Spencer had received many props from Big Ten lineman. Jarvis Moss, although not great against the run, is extremely fast and has much upside and has been compared to Jevon Kearse. John Fox said it best in regards to his selection of Julius Peppers over Joey Harrington: "You never pass up on an elite pass rusher." In regards to Moss and Spencer, I suppose you never know if that could be the case.

If it's a LB, no worries. Sure, we seem to have a nice starting 3 with Trotter, Spikes, and Gaither. Trotter is running on his last legs. Spikes is older, and was hurt recently. Gocong is waiting in the wings, and we'll see what his role will eventually be. The way I look at it with this position, it'll help build for our future as well as our present. Trotter and Spikes will be gone in soon time. Beason, Timmons, Posluszny can all play and help form a very nice trio with the likes of Gocong and Gaither.

If it's a CB, then it's all good. Joselio Hanson and Will James have 1 year contracts. Houston or Ross could provide nice special teams play, good play in particular packages, and can be groomed to be nice nickel backs and eventual starters. We drafted Lito and Sheldon when we had a good group of DBs, and that worked out well for us before. Why couldn't it again?

If it's a S, then we'd all be smiling. Dawkins will have to call it quits soon. Considine is still learning and getting bigger. Whether it's Michael Griffin or Brandon Meriweather, I think we'll all be happy regardless of who it is. Each of them have their knocks on them, but each of them have such a tremendous future that lies ahead of them. I will not be disappointed with either one. Heck, if we selected Eric Weddle I would be happy. Not many people would, but this is the guy who limited Calvin Johnson in the Emerald Bowl 2 years ago. He's a smart player. He lacks flash, and he isn't the "sexy" pick. But this guy intercepted many balls, and took them to the house for TDs. I don't care who you are, that's a tough thing to do. So if you hear his name, don't worry, be happy.

To reiterate my point, the Eagles know what they're doing. I have full confidence in them on draft day, and I hope many of you do as well. We're very lucky to be cheering for a team that doesn't have many gaping holes. We have options. We can build depth. We can build for the future. We can build an entire 2nd string defense for rotation purposes. We can do whatever we choose to do, and not many teams are that lucky to do so. We're in good hands Eagles fans. With that being said, Fly Eagles, Fly.

Great post. I merged this into the draft day discussion to limit the threads. Hope you stick around because your work is fantastic.

bsaza2358
04-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Post all comments, predictions, and reviews of the 2007 draft in this thread.

Ahf112
04-27-2007, 05:09 PM
I think there's a 0% chance of us takin Ted Ginn Jr. or Dwayne Jarrett. I think the signing of Curtis made a statment that their receiving core is set to enter the season unless they take a later round pick which is likely.

What do u think the chances are of us going after Brian Leonard?

bsaza2358
04-27-2007, 05:19 PM
There is no need to get a RB in round 1, and I think he could be gone by the time the Eagles pick in round 2. Not likely to happen.

eaglesalltheway
04-27-2007, 05:27 PM
There is word that not many teams are interested. I don't know why, he is a great player. YOu can't rule out the Eagles drafting up in the second for him though either.

Go_Eagles77
04-27-2007, 06:48 PM
I would definately like it if we draft Leonard in the 2nd, not sure I want to trade up though.

brat316
04-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Power RB late in the draft would be Jackie Battle

brat316
04-27-2007, 08:40 PM
i looked at the espn website we have the higest number of bust tyed with lions and bears o my o my

eaglesalltheway
04-27-2007, 09:36 PM
I have heard very little about Jackie Battle, in fact none. I will do some research to form my opinion.

Eaglez.Fan
04-28-2007, 08:39 AM
I'd actually love for the eagles to grab Ted Ginn. then pick up defense in the next couple rounds. IMO Ginn is the 2nd best WR in the draft. And he'd do great with Philly's offense.

Green Kool Aid
04-28-2007, 08:52 AM
In the spirit of the draft, I've been hearing a lot about, and from Tom Heckert about the Eagle's drafting techniques, and I must say i am not pleased.

I say we should fire Tom Heckert, and replace him with...this guy.

http://nfl.com/draft/features/chuck_barry

Look out Banner and Reid, you're next.

jonbrodo17
04-28-2007, 09:05 AM
i've actually been saying for a while that they need to hire a draft "guru" to come in and help them out. "Ahf112" is right (haha alz) that they are NOT going to draft a WR. If Leonard was there in the 2nd they would deff. take a look at him, but we have more needs (DE,S,LB) than a big RB/FB

Green Kool Aid
04-28-2007, 09:36 AM
I just saw Scott's last mock. The 1st pick isn't posted yet, but it'll be Griffin or Meriweather. The 2nd pick is Brian Leonard. That would be a great 1st two rounds. The third pick is another safety, Gerald Alexander. If Quincy Black is still on the board (which he is in the mock), then he should be our 3rd rounder.

1. Griffin/Meriweather
2. Brian Leonard
3. Quincy Black

Not a bad 1st day.

jonbrodo17
04-28-2007, 03:02 PM
hey guys, i am back from my game (we won) uve probably already discuused this but brady quinn? jeez

brat316
04-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Grififn is gone and meriweather might be gone by NE who do we get then

DragonMekha
04-28-2007, 03:32 PM
If Merriweather is gone,then maybe Chris Houston/Greg Olsen/Lber(Beason/Poz) or even a WR.Or even David Harris.

jonbrodo17
04-28-2007, 03:35 PM
i have a bad feeling that NE is going 2 take Meriweather, if they do, Beason should be the pick

DragonMekha
04-28-2007, 03:41 PM
i have a bad feeling that NE is going 2 take Meriweather, if they do, Beason should be the pick

I'm a little worried about adding yet another young Lber when we already have so many.(McCoy/Gaither/Daniels/Gocong)

jonbrodo17
04-28-2007, 03:56 PM
meriweather is gone, i am guessing carolina takes olsen. This is really upsetting, our war room is going insane we can either...
1.Trade with detroit for an extra pick
2.draft branch
3.draft meachem
4.draft harris

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!!!!!

jonbrodo17
04-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Dallas!!!!!!!!???? Outta All Teams Dallas!!!!!!!!!!!

Eaglez.Fan
04-28-2007, 04:14 PM
I hated that we traded with Dallas, but IMO Spencer is a bad pick. He'll stand up in the 3-4 OLB which people are unsure of, and he has said that he doesn't want to stand up and play there.

As for our pick, if we didn't go Bunkley last year I'd love Branch but we can't go DT 3 years straight with the top pick.

Bigp5437
04-28-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm a little baffled by this pick....Kevin Kolb with our first pick? I reallly hope we get Leonard or a S with our 2nd second round pick, or I'll be disappointed....I trust our front office usually, but I'm really not sure about this one

machoking6
04-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Here I go running my mouth saying trust whatever the Eagles do. And here we go drafting this moron Kevin Kolb. I'm sickened by this right now. We better trade him or else I will vomit all throughout my house. We could've used Chris Houston or Eric Weddle. We took a QB. Why didnt' we just trade up for Brady Quinn? UNBELIEVABLE.

DraftMasterG
04-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Man we really needed a receiver with our second round pick but man i forgot all about Kevin Kolb. We easily got the biggest steal of the draft right there. Have you seen his hilight tapes? There so amazing. Hopefully McNabb will make a good backup for him

eaglesfan_45
04-28-2007, 06:25 PM
this is crap the eagles traded for Clevlands second rounder and then with it they drafted Kevin Kolb even when Chris Houston was on the board horrible pick in my opinion.

Bigp5437
04-28-2007, 06:30 PM
^^^Are you kidding me? Are you just being an ass on purpose? Whatever....

Bigp5437
04-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Sorry Eaglesfan, that was for DraftMasterG, my comp's running slow

jonbrodo17
04-28-2007, 10:21 PM
i am up in arms. its unbeleivable. if they wanted to take a QB with their 1st pick, they shoulda re-signed Garcia, Chris Houstan was there and CB is a far bigger need than a 4th string QB, he shouldn't be our QB of the future, i am up in arms, i cant describe how pissed i am

Ahf112
04-28-2007, 10:28 PM
I personally think this was the most ridiculous draft in our history, making 0 sense at all. First of all, Kevin Kolb at 36 was prob. the worst pick in the whole draft. We took him over Houston, Weddle, Jarrett, Harris, Leonard..seriously what the heck were we thinking. Then, I dont really kno what to think of this VIctor Abamiri guy but I really wish we could've just gotten a good player we've actually heard of. Then, I really dont like Stewart Bradley in the 3rd. He's just not really the impact kinda player we need. Then finally I actually like the Tony Hunt pick. But the dissapointment from the others really gives me a bad taste from this draft..Its really just terrible

DraftMasterG
04-28-2007, 10:41 PM
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1723/sigwxk5.jpg

MAN im so excited we got him. I cant wait to see our QB of the future in action

Go_Eagles77
04-28-2007, 10:46 PM
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1723/sigwxk5.jpg

MAN im so excited we got him. I cant wait to see our QB of the future in action

Dude that's Trent Edwards....

Anyway you guys are being a little hard on Kolb, I know it doesn't really make sense but lets trust the FO.

brat316
04-28-2007, 11:05 PM
I still think we are going to draft a Cb or S in the 4th by trading out 5th and 6th then we use our 7th to a WR

For undrafted players we take the SS from Hawaii, reminds me of Polamalu, yes he is like 26, but undrafted who cares then about his age does have the tools

Creek
04-28-2007, 11:23 PM
It's tough to have patience when your team has been in Super Bowl contention for the last 5 years without ever winnig it. The Kolb pick could end up being a really good pick down the line, but right now I'm upset and disappointed with it.

Abiamiri and Hunt I'm on the fence about as there were guys at each position who I liked more at the time, but I still think these guys will be good players.

The Stewart Bradley pick I really like. Has had injury problems, but had a great year last year. I think he'll be starting for us in a couple years.

Fred Bennet, Michael Coe, and some other guys who can help our secondary are still available. Ben Patrick and Clark Harris still there at tight end...

But c'mon, Kevin freaking Kolb?!

DraftMasterG
04-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Dude that's Trent Edwards....

Anyway you guys are being a little hard on Kolb, I know it doesn't really make sense but lets trust the FO.

ya google is ********

3rd row down last one http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=kevin+kolb&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

DraftMasterG
04-29-2007, 01:04 AM
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/475/sigwsf9.jpg

there i had to mutalate it a little bit but its complete

cunningham06
04-29-2007, 02:45 AM
My overview:
Kevin Kolb- WTF??? Jesus this is the worst pick I've seen the Eagles make in a long time. Not only is it a reach, but it's not a position of need. We already have AJ Feeley and Kelly Holcomb on the roster. If we really wanted Kolb we probably could have gotten him with our last third round pick.

Victor Abiamiri- I really like this guy, but would have preferred Charles Johnson. Whatever, this is a really good pick, we needed a good, balanced DE, and I think we found one here.

Stewart Bradley- I love this guy, but the pick has many interesting implications. 1. What does this mean for Gocong? If we play Takeo at SAM and Bradley is naturally a SAM, then where does Gocong fit in? 2. Would we keep 3 SAM's? 3. Or, would Gocong switch back to DE, which poses a problem in itself since we just drafted Abiamiri, plus we have Cole, Kearse, Howard, Thomas, and McDougle. McDougle is gone tomorrow I expect. We now have two developmental prospects at SAM. Cool pick though, I like him a lot.

Tony Hunt- I like this pick, we needed a power running back because Bruce Perry can't hold onto his roster spot and just isn't big enough. Hunt is an excellent player and should add another dimension to the game every time he steps out onto the field.

What I would like to see tomorrow: Defense, defense, defense.
We had plenty of opportunities to draft safeties, cornerbacks, and MLB's, which we didn't do today. We really need to take care of this tomorrow, and we need to make some noise and get in the 4th round. Our biggest needs are still unanswered after the first day of the draft.

So far I would give our draft a C-.

camp_eagles
04-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Hopefully the eagles can trade into the early forth and grab Tanard Jackson or if Tanard is gone Brandon Siler.

Ahf112
04-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Draftmaster G, I dunno if you're being sarcastic but If you are than you're taking it too far. If you're not then you're probobly one of those McNabb haters who thinks he sucks and if so then ur a Tard

jonbrodo17
04-29-2007, 08:49 AM
If we were going to draft a QB we shoulda traded up to draft Quinn but w/e. It could become a great pick or it can be the next Jerome McDougle.

Alz, Abriami (i dunno how to spell) is a pretty good pick

I really wanted to draft Marcus McCauley, so i was upset, when i found out he was a 3rd rounder

eaglesalltheway
04-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Here is what I would grade our picks as:
Kolb:C-. He is the perfect fit for our offense, he just needs to learn to take the smap under center. He has slightly above average arm strength and good accuracy. He is also able to scramble and make some plays with his legs. He has great intelligence, and is a team leader. The only problem I have with him is this is about a round or two too early to pick him, but apparently the Eagles thought someone valued him in the second, so they took the opportunity to get him.
Abiamiri:A. This is my favorite pick so far. Abiamiri is a very intelligent football player and person with the intangibles that will make him a steal in this draft. He is stout at the point of attack, which is something we need out of our DEs, and our whole D-line really. He will improve our run defense a lot when he is playing. Victor is also capable of reaching the QB and getting sacks, which is something that there can never be a shortage of in this defense. He has the best overall abilities of any of the DEs that were taken in the second round, and will be a steal and an eventual starter for us. He may need to bulk up a little bit, but so does most of the DEs in this year's class.
Bradley:B+. This is another potential steal for the Eagles. Although this probably means that Gocong will not be playing much LB, it is a great pick nonetheless. Bradley was expected to go much higher, adn the Eagles got great value out of picking him. He has the best size of any LB going into this draft, and will be a perfect SAM for the Eagles. Depending upon his performance leading up to the season, he may start at SAM, with Trotter at MIKE, and Spikes at WILL. Bradley is great against the run, and solid against the pass. He has good enough coverage skills for a LB in our scheme, and can make plays on the ball, though he is not known for interceptions. He may switch to MIKE for the Eagles when Trotter retires, but that remains to be seen.
Hunt:A-. Well, we finally got the big back that everyone has been craving. Although he is not spectacular, he is a solid RB. I think if he would have been drafted by the Bills or Packers, he would be a surprise starter who would possibly have over 1000 yards his rookie season. He is just a consistent all-around back. He runs well, has good vision, catches well, and blocks very well. The only problem is he isn't very elusive. But we don't need an elusive RB when we have Westbrook. Hunt will be our short-yardage back who can grind our the clock and help us win. You know the saying, "If your team can run the ball and stop the run, it is looking pretty solid." (It goes something like that.) The Eagles addressed both of those spots with Bradley and Hunt.
Overall, this draft gets a B for me. It may seem a bit high for most of you, but we'll see how it pans out.

Eaglez.Fan
04-29-2007, 09:51 AM
If we can somehow get Tenard Jackson out of this day IMO it will be a good draft. And we didn't really need a top talent this year with last year we got 2 top 10 talents, so I like what we did so far but it's not THAT good.

jonbrodo17
04-29-2007, 12:33 PM
at 1st i hated Kolb, but it has grown on me that this guy is a great fit, what i like most is that we wont be scrambling to get a QB when donovan retires, I think that he can become a pretty good player. I love the Ambriani (i cant spell) and i wanted McCauley over Bradley but u can never get enuff line backers. I also obviously like hunt

Go_Eagles77
04-29-2007, 01:18 PM
I really like Gaddis, I had him going to us in the 3rd in several mocks. Not sure Celek was better value than Ben Patrick there, that is an eyebrow raiser. I would have liked Wendling there too.

Incinerator
04-29-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm still not happy about about the Kolb pick but so far I believe that they've really picked some players that can really contribute. I like Bradley and Hunt because we now have a definite SLB and a bruising RB that will play. I like Gaddis too because I think he'll come in and compete for the nickelback. Not too sure about Celek because Ben Patrick was still there but I dont know anything about Celek so whatever.

cunningham06
04-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Here is what I would grade our picks as:
Kolb:C-. He is the perfect fit for our offense, he just needs to learn to take the smap under center. He has slightly above average arm strength and good accuracy. He is also able to scramble and make some plays with his legs. He has great intelligence, and is a team leader. The only problem I have with him is this is about a round or two too early to pick him, but apparently the Eagles thought someone valued him in the second, so they took the opportunity to get him.
Abiamiri:A. This is my favorite pick so far. Abiamiri is a very intelligent football player and person with the intangibles that will make him a steal in this draft. He is stout at the point of attack, which is something we need out of our DEs, and our whole D-line really. He will improve our run defense a lot when he is playing. Victor is also capable of reaching the QB and getting sacks, which is something that there can never be a shortage of in this defense. He has the best overall abilities of any of the DEs that were taken in the second round, and will be a steal and an eventual starter for us. He may need to bulk up a little bit, but so does most of the DEs in this year's class.
Bradley:B+. This is another potential steal for the Eagles. Although this probably means that Gocong will not be playing much LB, it is a great pick nonetheless. Bradley was expected to go much higher, adn the Eagles got great value out of picking him. He has the best size of any LB going into this draft, and will be a perfect SAM for the Eagles. Depending upon his performance leading up to the season, he may start at SAM, with Trotter at MIKE, and Spikes at WILL. Bradley is great against the run, and solid against the pass. He has good enough coverage skills for a LB in our scheme, and can make plays on the ball, though he is not known for interceptions. He may switch to MIKE for the Eagles when Trotter retires, but that remains to be seen.
Hunt:A-. Well, we finally got the big back that everyone has been craving. Although he is not spectacular, he is a solid RB. I think if he would have been drafted by the Bills or Packers, he would be a surprise starter who would possibly have over 1000 yards his rookie season. He is just a consistent all-around back. He runs well, has good vision, catches well, and blocks very well. The only problem is he isn't very elusive. But we don't need an elusive RB when we have Westbrook. Hunt will be our short-yardage back who can grind our the clock and help us win. You know the saying, "If your team can run the ball and stop the run, it is looking pretty solid." (It goes something like that.) The Eagles addressed both of those spots with Bradley and Hunt.
Overall, this draft gets a B for me. It may seem a bit high for most of you, but we'll see how it pans out.

A C- for the Kolb pick? I agree I do like him as a player but that pick was a horrible reach. The 4th round is where he should have been picked. He would have been available to us later. We passed on such great players who could have contributed immediately. That pick brings our whole draft down, and compared to what we did last year a B seems ridiculously optimistic.

Go_Eagles77
04-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Don't know too much about Barksdale.

Bigp5437
04-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Siler's still available...we shall see...

Bigp5437
04-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Interesting, Illoa with our last pick. So Hunt AND Illoa now? Sounds like a greater commitment to the running game, finally giving Westbrook some help in the backfield...

brat316
04-29-2007, 04:41 PM
YEs Ilaoa I called that shiz at the begeninig of the year yes, He can catch block as FB, and run for those 2-3 yard up the tackle we need, anyone see us going back to the three headed RB

YO I think we should have picked Waters instead of Bradley, How about that S from Clemens

eaglesfan_45
04-29-2007, 04:48 PM
at 1st i hated Kolb, but it has grown on me that this guy is a great fit,

same here i hated it at first but i went and watched some highlights and watched his press confrence he grew on me how ever i still think we could have done better.

machoking6
04-29-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm gonna have to admit, I was furious with the Eagles selection of Kevin Kolb. I also happened to be drinking all day so by the time the Eagles picked, I was a little buzzed. Anyways, I found myself defending him today to my friends and family. Here I go running my mouth all upset, and now I'm not as bitter. The guy is our future, plain and simple. I'll take it. As far as Abiamiri goes, that's a fantastic pick. I've watched all of Abiamiri's games and he's an all around great DE. The scary thing is that he's only going to get better. I love the addition. Bradley and Hunt are excellent picks as well. Now that the Eagles draft is over, I'm very pleased with what they got. They could've stepped onto the field with no draft picks and still been a Super Bowl contender this year. I'm a bit upset that they didn't address a run stuffing DT, like Echols from Kansas St. or Walter Thomas. I'll just hold out hope that they address that immediately following the draft.

jonbrodo17
04-29-2007, 05:29 PM
I LOVE the Iloa pick, i wanted him so bad. We shoulda drafted Ben Patrick but i guess they know wat they were doing drafting the other guy

Eaglez.Fan
04-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Great last pick, it should be very interesting to see how they use both Hunt and Iloa. I do hope both get alot of touches.

Go_Eagles77
04-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Aside from the Kolb pick, I think this was a very solid draft.

Go_Eagles77
04-29-2007, 05:51 PM
This is how I would like to see us utilize our running backs.

Westbrook - 15-20 carries a game (Mainly long yardage)
Hunt - 5-10 carries a game (mix of long and short yardage)
Iloa - 2-3 carries a game (Mainly short yardage)

This is assuming Iloa makes the team over Buchalter/Moats

Eaglez.Fan
04-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Iloa has to be used in screen plays, that is the only reason he was solid in Hawaii. Actually we should use all the RB's on screen plays, Westbrook obviously can, Hunt can and Iloa can very well. It could be very good, using a fake screen here, then a real screen here. And defenses would always be looking for it, opening up LJ Smith and the WR's.

cunningham06
04-29-2007, 07:11 PM
YEs Ilaoa I called that shiz at the begeninig of the year yes, He can catch block as FB, and run for those 2-3 yard up the tackle we need, anyone see us going back to the three headed RB

YO I think we should have picked Waters instead of Bradley, How about that S from Clemens

Well, I actually agree with you. I would prefer Waters because we need a MLB of the future, and I want Spikes to play SAM. If Spikes plays SAM then we will have him Gocong, Dhani, and Bradley who are all able to play the position. I guess that means Gaither is our MLB of the future and we aren't going to leave him at WLB, but instead play Takeo there. Picking Ilaoa once we already had Tony Hunt doesn't make much sense, but he was great value where we got him. I still can't believe that we didn't pick John Wendling, he was available until the 6th round and would have been an excellent SS for us. Unbelievable that we didn't take care of that problem.

We now have a very crowded backfield. We also have some players we should have dealt for picks but did not. Dhani Jones and Jerome McDougle. McDougle looks like a cut now if we don't get anything for him.

I do like that we got Abiamiri out of this draft, him and Hunt are the two picks that are pretty sensible.

the pj
04-29-2007, 07:11 PM
*noob alert siren wails*

I'd give the draft a B. I look at it this way, if the order of selections was

Abiamiri
Bradley
Kolb
Hunt

would anyone really be batting an eye at it? You may say it was a little early on Abiamiri or Bradley, but no one would be having a kiniption fit. And according to Spadaro (yes, I know you have to take him with a grain of salt but he would have as much inside info as anyone in regards to what the FO was thinking) Kolb was at the worst going to Jacksonville before the #57 pick so they had to make the move.

They filled their main needs by getting a S (Gaddis), a TE, a legit SAM in case the Gocong experiment doesn't work and can allow Spikes to move to WILL, another back to add to Westbrook and Bucky (Moats is toast), a QB with a nice looking girlfriend (if we traded for Tom Brady nobody could touch our hot QB girlfriend quotient) and a depth CB to groom this season behind Will James who is a more than capable nickel for a season. I am not going to really judge the players they filled the needs with because I am sure they have done a teeny tiny bit more scouting of these guys than I have. They addressed their needs which is all I can really ask. Sure I have favorite players, but I won't condemn them for not grabbing one.

As for Mort calling them losers for trading with the Cowboys?!? Oh no, the Cowboys moved up and took Anthony Spencer, how will the Eagles ever recover. If they traded them a stud top 10 pick is one thing, but we are talking about the no 26 pick which Dallas overpaid to get. If he was a world beater the Eagles would be foolish to trade out of he would have been taken before 26. It will be interesting to see a few years down the line to see how the Anthony Spencer for Kevin Kolb-Stewart Bradley-CJ Gaddis deal works out.

The only thing I hate about this draft is that I love McNabb, but now I am anxious to see Kolb play to see what we've got.

cunningham06
04-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Iloa has to be used in screen plays, that is the only reason he was solid in Hawaii. Actually we should use all the RB's on screen plays, Westbrook obviously can, Hunt can and Iloa can very well. It could be very good, using a fake screen here, then a real screen here. And defenses would always be looking for it, opening up LJ Smith and the WR's.

The Eagles are a very good screen team, it's not a coincidence that we take RB's who are very capable on screens.

Ahf112
04-29-2007, 07:37 PM
I actually really like the Barksdale pick, I see some potential in him with some good coaching. I don't really know about Iloa..he probobly wont even make the team. Then that Brent Celek pick pissed me off. Patrick was there and we took a guy who's not even ranked in the top 22 TE's on this website. I checked him out and he's just like an average white TE..really doesnt excite me. Finally, I have mixed opinions on C.J. Gaddis. He could have potential but I have visions of him turning out like a Matt Ware type. Overall, I'm not very happy with this draft.
High Points- Tony Hunt, Abiamiri
Low Points- Kolb WAY too early, Celek over Patrick,
I'm fine with Kolb and all and I'm not trying to fight against anyone who thinks he'll be good but we could've gotten him in like the 3rd Round. Right now we could probobly have Jarrett, Abiamiri, and Kolb..a lot more exciting if u ask me

Eaglez.Fan
04-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Hopefully we can pick up, Earl Everett and Rhema McKnight. Those two could have gone in round 3.

cunningham06
04-29-2007, 08:55 PM
*noob alert siren wails*

I'd give the draft a B. I look at it this way, if the order of selections was

Abiamiri
Bradley
Kolb
Hunt

would anyone really be batting an eye at it? You may say it was a little early on Abiamiri or Bradley, but no one would be having a kiniption fit. And according to Spadaro (yes, I know you have to take him with a grain of salt but he would have as much inside info as anyone in regards to what the FO was thinking) Kolb was at the worst going to Jacksonville before the #57 pick so they had to make the move.

They filled their main needs by getting a S (Gaddis), a TE, a legit SAM in case the Gocong experiment doesn't work and can allow Spikes to move to WILL, another back to add to Westbrook and Bucky (Moats is toast), a QB with a nice looking girlfriend (if we traded for Tom Brady nobody could touch our hot QB girlfriend quotient) and a depth CB to groom this season behind Will James who is a more than capable nickel for a season. I am not going to really judge the players they filled the needs with because I am sure they have done a teeny tiny bit more scouting of these guys than I have. They addressed their needs which is all I can really ask. Sure I have favorite players, but I won't condemn them for not grabbing one.

As for Mort calling them losers for trading with the Cowboys?!? Oh no, the Cowboys moved up and took Anthony Spencer, how will the Eagles ever recover. If they traded them a stud top 10 pick is one thing, but we are talking about the no 26 pick which Dallas overpaid to get. If he was a world beater the Eagles would be foolish to trade out of he would have been taken before 26. It will be interesting to see a few years down the line to see how the Anthony Spencer for Kevin Kolb-Stewart Bradley-CJ Gaddis deal works out.

The only thing I hate about this draft is that I love McNabb, but now I am anxious to see Kolb play to see what we've got.

We did need a safety but we needed a SS. Now we have 3 FS's, and one (Considine) is still starting at SS even though we had plenty of chances to get Wendling. Wendling would be good to compete with Considine for the SS position.

cunningham06
04-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Hopefully we can pick up, Earl Everett and Rhema McKnight. Those two could have gone in round 3.

I like Everett a lot, but we have a ton of LB's right now. I'm all for bringing him in though but it seems kind of unlikely to me right now unless we deal some of our other linebackers for something.

eaglesalltheway
04-29-2007, 08:59 PM
I have a feeling one of the RBs (Hutn and Ilaoa) will end up at FB. Both have the size to do it, and both have good hands, but Hunt is the better blocker, so we may be looking at Hunt as our new FB, and Ilaoa as our big RB. I'm upset we didn't get Ben Patrick, he could have gone in the second or third round. We'll find out what happens with him. I think he will be one of the bigger steals out of this draft. I like the Gaddis pick, and the Barksdale pick makes sense. He has the capability to play Nickel for us in the future.

cunningham06
04-29-2007, 09:02 PM
I have a feeling one of the RBs (Hutn and Ilaoa) will end up at FB. Both have the size to do it, and both have good hands, but Hunt is the better blocker, so we may be looking at Hunt as our new FB, and Ilaoa as our big RB. I'm upset we didn't get Ben Patrick, he could have gone in the second or third round. We'll find out what happens with him. I think he will be one of the bigger steals out of this draft. I like the Gaddis pick, and the Barksdale pick makes sense. He has the capability to play Nickel for us in the future.

Or we could be looking at the resurgence of the three headed monster rushing attack. That would be badass.

brat316
04-29-2007, 10:28 PM
How about undrafted player in the S spot Leonard Peter from Hawaii, he is like Troy Polamalu, only 25 yrs old,

There had to be some reason Patrick did not get drafted early, something like Why did he go from a big school to one like Delaware

importrx7
04-30-2007, 01:18 AM
If Spikes plays SAM then we will have him .

Heard Jim Johnson say today Spikes will play weak side!!!

Bigp5437
04-30-2007, 02:31 AM
How about undrafted player in the S spot Leonard Peter from Hawaii, he is like Troy Polamalu, only 25 yrs old,

There had to be some reason Patrick did not get drafted early, something like Why did he go from a big school to one like Delaware

Not sure about why he didnt get drafted earlier, he showed he could play against top competition, but the reason he ended up at Delaware was he graduated, but had an extra year of eligibility left and decided to go to Delaware where they're known for their passing attack, so he would have a chance to be featured. And it served him well, he might not have gotten any attention had he just came straight out of Duke. Still don't know why he didnt get drafted earlier though...

eaglesalltheway
04-30-2007, 06:36 AM
He was is balanced too, and his coach, who a freind of mine knows, is a little confused over that as well. He will surprise people over his career if you ask me.

Black Majic
04-30-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm very disgusted with this draft. Personally i would have chosen Michael bush over Hunt. I dont even think its a guarantee that he'll make the team. We'll see in training camp. the Kolb pick was a disaster. Mcnabb's self esteem is already at an all time low so y make him suicidal with pressure. Qb of the future what?... does make sense if farve and trent green are playing forever. i expect mcnabb to be here for at least 4 more years. I was also disgusted, (as u can tell i want to choke) that we didnt pick ben Patrick if LJ isnt going to be around next year. I have beef with the eagles now..Actually i have beef with fat Andy, Stay away from the cheesesteaks

Go_Eagles77
04-30-2007, 09:44 AM
I would have rather gotten Chris Houston with our 1st pick and Troy Smith with our 2nd 5th rounder, then Patrick with our 6th rounder.

What looks better -

QB- Kevin Kolb
CB- Rashad Barksdale
TE- Brent Celek

or

QB- Troy Smith
CB- Chris Houston
TE- Ben Patrick

machoking6
04-30-2007, 10:49 AM
I would have rather gotten Chris Houston with our 1st pick and Troy Smith with our 2nd 5th rounder, then Patrick with our 6th rounder.

What looks better -

QB- Kevin Kolb
CB- Rashad Barksdale
TE- Brent Celek

or

QB- Troy Smith
CB- Chris Houston
TE- Ben Patrick

Troy Smith would've been a good pick had Andy Reid been producing a documentary on dwarfs.

The way I look at it, us passing on Ben Patrick shows me that the Eagles are confident in re-signing L.J. Smith. All we need from Celek right now is for him to be a solid #3 option, and a potential #2 TE. Maybe he is more sure handed than Patrick? I don't know. None of us know much on Celek, unless someone here is a huge Cincinatti Bearcats fan.

Chris Houston would've been someone nice to groom into a nickel back and future starter role. But I would definitely take the combination of picks we received (Stewart Bradley and I believe C.J. Gaddis).

Regardless of what they did, it's finalized now. We're better off trying to find good in the picks rather than nitpicking at what they should've done. My main point of this reply though: Troy Smith sucks. Thank you and good night.

Black Majic
04-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Troy Smith will have a better career than our draft pick. Can anybody explain y one incident makes a player "a Character concern". i see to many of these labels. But who doesnt make bad choices atleast once. Ask yourself that. I know i have but did i do it again no. Sports writers and coaches and scouts make to much out of it. Once again the bad makes more headlines then the good. Andy reids kids have character concerns, so i say big deal as long as its not a continuing history. Go eagles, id take troy, chris, and Ben anyday.

bsaza2358
04-30-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm also unhappy with the Kolb pick, but I'm not really concerned about McNabb's self esteem. McNabb has been a bit of a primadonna crybaby the last 2 seasons. He is now 31 years old and is coming off an ACL tear. He hasn't played a full season since 2003 (2004 counts, but he only played in all of 13 games). Regardless, he has had 2 significant surgeries in the last 2 years. His health and future are concerning. Say what you want about Kolb, but he has a very good arm with excellent short-medium range accuracy. It will take the team another 2 years to see what it has with Kolb. If he's a future star and starter, then the Eagles made a good move. If not, then it sucks.

bsaza2358
04-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Troy Smith will have a better career than our draft pick. Can anybody explain y one incident makes a player "a Character concern". i see to many of these labels. But who doesnt make bad choices atleast once. Ask yourself that. I know i have but did i do it again no. Sports writers and coaches and scouts make to much out of it. Once again the bad makes more headlines then the good. Andy reids kids have character concerns, so i say big deal as long as its not a continuing history. Go eagles, id take troy, chris, and Ben anyday.

I don't agree with you about Troy Smith, but it's all a matter of opinion. As of right now, Kolb and Smith are both at 0 attempts, 0 completions, 0 INT's, and 0 TD's. Neither will start next season. Both are behind established players and need to adapt to the pro level. Troy Smith has better mobility, but I think Kolb is a better fit for the West Coast Offense. Kolb is also a legit 6'3", while Smith is a wee lass at under 6' tall. Our OLine is extremely tall, so it would be difficult for Smith to see over them to make throws. I also believe TS's accuracy from the pocket is below average. His decision making under pressure is also not thrilling. I'd rather have the player who made multiple reads in a spread offense than the guy who relied on athleticism in the Big 10 and couldn't make plays against top defenses.

machoking6
04-30-2007, 11:50 AM
I don't agree with you about Troy Smith, but it's all a matter of opinion. As of right now, Kolb and Smith are both at 0 attempts, 0 completions, 0 INT's, and 0 TD's. Neither will start next season. Both are behind established players and need to adapt to the pro level. Troy Smith has better mobility, but I think Kolb is a better fit for the West Coast Offense. Kolb is also a legit 6'3", while Smith is a wee lass at under 6' tall. Our OLine is extremely tall, so it would be difficult for Smith to see over them to make throws. I also believe TS's accuracy from the pocket is below average. His decision making under pressure is also not thrilling. I'd rather have the player who made multiple reads in a spread offense than the guy who relied on athleticism in the Big 10 and couldn't make plays against top defenses.

Finally someone who realizes that Troy Smith isn't as good as advertised. Thank you. Troy Smith will be the next Charlie Ward. Better yet, the next Joey Hamilton. How bout the next Brad Banks? Or the next Eric Crouch? Nah, I got it, the next Tee Martin. You catch my drift.

Everyone is hating on Kevin Kolb, and I can understand where we could've addressed another need. But there was an NFL Draft in 99 that had Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith, Daunte Culpepper, and Cade McNown as the top QBs. Couch was off the board, and Andy Reid and the Eagles were on the clock. And who did we take? Donovan McNabb, who has clearly been the best of the 5. I would like to think he and the rest of the organization have a good knack for selecting very solid QBs. In this case, they chose Kolb over the likes of John Beck, Trent Edwards, Drew Stanton, and Troy Smith. Could it be a very similar situation? I don't know. But from Andy Reid's history, so far we're batting 1.000. Not too shabby.

Go_Eagles77
04-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Finally someone who realizes that Troy Smith isn't as good as advertised. Thank you. Troy Smith will be the next Charlie Ward. Better yet, the next Joey Hamilton. How bout the next Brad Banks? Or the next Eric Crouch? Nah, I got it, the next Tee Martin. You catch my drift.

I never said Troy Smith was the greatest player ever, I implied that Troy Smith would have been much better value in the late 5th round than Kolb was in the early 2nd.

bsaza2358
04-30-2007, 11:54 AM
The Eagles have drafted 3 QB's since Reid took over. McNabb, Feeley, and Andy Hall. McNabb panned out marvelously, and Feeley won us some games, then was traded to Miami for a draft pick (Reggie Brown), then came back and is now the backup. For a 5th round pick, I would say he has been successful. Andy Hall never panned out, but as a 6th round compensatory selection, I'm not bothered. So, Reid and Heckert took 3 QB's over the last 8 drafts before this one. They had a 67% success rate. I'll take those odds on Kolb.

bsaza2358
04-30-2007, 11:56 AM
I never said Troy Smith was the greatest player ever, I implied that Troy Smith would have been much better value in the late 5th round than Kolb was in the early 2nd.

That is a very fair point to make. I still believe that Troy Smith will not amount to much in the NFL. His scrambling abilities will be negated by the quality of defenses. His height issues will also be magnified. I just don't see Smith having the tools to succeed as a starting NFL QB. Kolb, with some development time, has much better skills for the WCO. That is my opinion. Neither Smith nor Kolb is ready now, but I think Kolb has a stronger skill set.

eaglesalltheway
04-30-2007, 06:13 PM
That is a very fair point to make. I still believe that Troy Smith will not amount to much in the NFL. His scrambling abilities will be negated by the quality of defenses. His height issues will also be magnified. I just don't see Smith having the tools to succeed as a starting NFL QB. Kolb, with some development time, has much better skills for the WCO. That is my opinion. Neither Smith nor Kolb is ready now, but I think Kolb has a stronger skill set.

Agreed, that is a good analysis.

brat316
04-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Leonard Peters

Black Majic
05-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Height really isnt the best thing to measure a qb on. What about Flutie flakes, Drew brees, Vick. my cousin said the other day that troy smith wont be able to throw to his left becasue Jonathan Ogden's(6'8) helmet will knock do passes all day. Lol but i think the ravens will give him a chance to succeed and Ogden will probably retire soon anyway. road block gone. And if u watch the ravens now they throw the short and intermidiate passes and pound the ball. I think he's more promising then Boller. As for Kolb, i can complete 60% of my passes out of a spread. I think what Reid see's is someone who's a gunslinger which fits perfectly with his 70:30 pass to run ratio.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Height isn't the best thing to measure, but it can be a very important factor when considering a QB's potential. Doug Flutie was an effective QB, but he wasn't a superstar with amazing numbers. Certain offensive sets and plays just didn't work for him. He had to work very hard just to stay relevant. Brees is 6" tall, but he has long arms and throws "tall" (on his toes with perfect form).

I believe that Troy Smith has a lot of poise and a lot of heart, but I do not believe his accuracy and decision making are adequate to run the Andy Reid WCO. In college, he was able to throw to 2 first round WR's and work off the running game of an NFL RB. That helped him a ton. He had simple reads to make and had an excellent OLine that gave him protection. When things broke down, he was able to use his athleticism to make plays. Much of his athleticism will be negated by the quality of NFL defenses.

In addition to my other concerns, I do not believe he has the overall skill set to effectively run the Eagles offense. He lacks oomph on his deep ball, his mechanics are average, and I'm not thrilled with the way he often threw off his back foot. That stuff will get him killed in the NFL. I don't think that Smith would be a good fit on the Eagles. He could have a future somewhere, but not in Philly.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 01:27 PM
I have finally had the chance to go back to look at some game tape on Kolb. Here are some things that I have noticed:

1. He has a very quick release. He loads and unloads the ball very quickly.

2. He has excellent awareness of pressure and is able to move around while keeping his head up.

3. He can throw on the run very well.

4. He has the arm strength to make every throw necessary.

5. Solid playfake skills. Looked very smooth with his dropbacks.

Negatives:

1. Was only required to make 1-2 reads in college. Will need to improve that in the NFL with checkdowns and 4-5 reads.

2. Lots of shotgun work, not a lot of time under center. Will need to work on mechanics and footwork dropping straight back while making reads.

3. Competition often bit on play design and play fakes, giving his receivers wide open looks. Anyone can hit wide open WR's.

4. The defensive pressure was minimal. Often times, he was working without a lot of people in his face. I would like to see how he works out of those situations.

5. Good feet, but not great. He's not going to be a runner, but he can take off and make plays. He needs to stay alive and not try to win with his legs.

Overall, I am comfortable with his fit in the offense. I don't necessarily see him as a #36 overall pick, but he has a solid skill set, excellent accuracy, and I like his mechanics throwing the ball. I also saw some interviews with him, and he seems like the kind of guy who can lead a team.

brat316
05-01-2007, 02:46 PM
guys reminds me of Garcia

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I see Kolb more as a Hasselbeck than a Garcia. He is bigger than Garcia and less mobile. I see a lot of Matt Hasselbeck in Kolb at this point.

Go_Eagles77
05-01-2007, 04:29 PM
I see Kolb more as a Hasselbeck than a Garcia. He is bigger than Garcia and less mobile. I see a lot of Matt Hasselbeck in Kolb at this point.

That is a good comparison

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 04:30 PM
I definitely agree. ha

LitoSheppard
05-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Round 2A. While being a shocker, Still grade A
Great pick IMO, Kolb is in McNabb is out hopefully, in 2 years when Kolb is devolped you will thank Reid. McNabb, while being a exiting player, is not our QB of the future, Kolb has some great tools and should excel in the NFL
Round 2B. Fine pick B
Everyone knows the Eagles needed a DE, and he was the BOA

Eaglez.Fan
05-01-2007, 07:11 PM
McNabb is a top 5 QB in this league no doubt in my mind. He will start for for sure the next 3, barring injury. And I wouldn't be suprised if Kolb has to wait atleast 3 and a half years. That was my only problem.

McNabbFan2009
05-01-2007, 09:20 PM
HOW DID WE DO?

Rd Sel# Player Pos. Ht. Wt. School
2 36 Kolb, Kevin QB 6-3 220 Houston
2 57 Abiamiri, Victor DE 6-5 271 Notre Dame
3 87 Bradley, Stewart OLB 6-4 256 Nebraska
3 90 Hunt, Tony RB 6-0 230 Penn State
5 159 Gaddis, C.J. FS 6-0 210 Clemson
5 162 Celek, Brent TE 6-4 261 Cincinnati
6 201 Barksdale, Rashad CB 6-2 210 Albany
7 236 Ilaoa, Nate FB 5-8 248 Hawaii

cunningham06
05-02-2007, 12:00 AM
Pretty bad, some bad reaches and we could have gotten better players at some of our picks. BTW there is a draft thread for a reason.

bsaza2358
05-02-2007, 08:28 AM
McNabbfan, welcome to the board. We have a draft thread. I am merging this .

bsaza2358
05-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Okay, so it's 3+ days since the draft. Has anyone's opinion changed?

bsaza2358
05-02-2007, 10:10 AM
For those of you who didn't read Toonster's Offseason Assessment, I am quoting it below. If you do not know Toonster, you do now. He is one of the most knowledgable and prolific posters on this site, and he is incredible. Enjoy!

My draft/offseason review is taking more time than I expected. Nothing really unique here, but I figured I'd start posting them as I finished each team. I started with the Eagles because I believe that the Eagles draft was one of the best this year ... which was odd, since my initial reaction was, well, bleh.

Philadelphia Eagles

Non-draft offseason:

Key guys lost: Darwin Walker, Donte Stallworth, Michael Lewis, and Roderick Hood

Key additions: Kevin Curtis, Kelly Holcomb, Takeo Spikes, Montae Reagor, Bethel Johnson

Comments: In all honesty, the losses of Walker and Lewis aren’t that significant. Lewis had played his way out of a job. Walker is a nice DT, but not a big loss, and they had to clear PT for Bunkley anyways. Adding Spikes/Holcomb as a result was more than worth it. Furthermore, Montae Reagor provides depth there. The loss of Hood isn’t that bad, as William James could be a capable nickel option. Curtis replaces Stallworth … and he might be more consistent. Adding Holcomb was probably to give them options since Garcia left. Holcomb’s very good at what he does, which is spot start and be a reliever. Not sure how Bethel Johnson really fits, or whether he’ll even make it (Jeremy Bloom is back). Spikes is the big name there, because if healthy, he’ll give them a solid leader and an upgrade over last year, along with more bulk. They did a lot pre-draft, giving them flexibility during the draft.

Draft:

Moves: They slid down 10 spots, going from 1st to 2nd, but netted themselves a 3rd and a 5th.

Kevin Kolb – Always has been a personal favorite. They needed to find a QB of the future, and while I was a bit caught off-guard by the move, this is the type of gutsy move that has made this organization effective in recent years. There’s enough evidence that the value of this pick was fine, and they deserve credit for getting into position for him. Good upside, a potential scheme fit. Obviously, if he’s playing this year, then they have tumbled bad.

Victor Abiamiri – Value was fine. He has 2-way end potential … exactly what they needed. A bit raw, but they are willing to work with raw DL talent. Good upside, though. Could be in the rotation this year.

Stewart Bradley – Value’s fine. They needed to get bigger linebackers, and they got one that can run. They seem fine with Gaither as a the future MIKE, so they get a guy that can fit on the outside.

Tony Hunt – Solid value, big back to complement Westbrook. Could provide some immediate help and beat out Buckhalter. The speed, or lack thereof, really killed his potential to go higher, but he’s a player, and should, at the very least, make a decent career as a backup, if not better.

CJ Gaddis – Love this pick. Just love it. Yes, they missed Meriweather … but they get a guy who could be the ideal SS fit for them. Gaddis can get into that 215 range without losing much. He has enough range, can cover, and is fine in support. Value seems fine. Special teams help perhaps in the short term, as he adjusts to the pro game..

Brent Celek – A good receiving TE to groom in case things can’t get worked out with LJ Smith. Value’s fine. Solid scheme upside. May not provide immediate help.

Rashad Barksdale – I liked the last Albany kid to be drafted (Kurt Campbell), but he struggled to adjust. Barksdale, though, will be better suited for the next level as he has quality tools. Value’s fine here, and he could either be a bigger corner look for them … or a long range replacement for Brian Dawkins. Good upside, but again, may not provide immediate help.

Nate Ilaoa – Reminds me of a little bit of Verron Haynes, but a better blocker. Solid late round addition that offers another big back option, and a versatile one. Certainly gives offensive minds like Marty Mornhinweg and Andy Reid another intriguing weapon.

Draft Roundup:

Rumor seems to be that once Meriweather came off, they wanted badly out of round 1. It makes sense, as leading up to the draft, they didn’t have many needs. Trading within division is always tough, especially knowing that their division will likely be hotly contested. I like the trade down a lot, as a result, as it got them into better position.

In the final conclusion, I like this draft. I really do. Why? They went into the draft needing 2-way end potential. Check. They need young DB options, particularly at safety. Check. They needed a young receiving TE in case an extension for LJ Smith can’t be worked out. Check. They needed a big backup running back option. Check. They needed bigger linebacking talent. Check.

Having a good draft isn’t necessarily about the flashy names, the flashy moves, or the impact. It’s as much about knowing your needs, manipulating the draft, physical upsideand getting potential fits at good values. The Eagles did all that, and as such, I think very highly of their draft efforts, and they added a QB of the future to boot. It may end up being one of those drafts that Eagles fans may look back at later and realize that it helped shore up areas and allow the team to move forward as some older players are phased out.
This wasn’t a team looking for starters right now, but rotation guys with upside, and they potentially found it. I think all the guys have a chance to stick, with Ilaoa and Barksdale as the guys most at risk for obvious reasons.

Assessment:

The Eagles are a good organization. They know how to effectively build a team, and they know how to act in the offseason. The Eagles targeted their needs in free agency (and with trades) early on, allowing themselves flexibility in the draft, which was what they needed. This allowed them to work the draft and get a good deal in moving down. The team addressed its remaining needs in the draft. The team was never really on the lookout for immediate starters, and as such, some will knock this draft. I think it was a very prudent draft that landed upside, and a very smart offseason overall that brought in depth and key talent in the areas they needed, with the types of players they needed.

This is a team with the potential to be very good next year. That said, they shouldn’t be penciled in yet for anything. Will the running game continue to be worked in with consistency? The addition of Hunt/Ilaoa, plus resigning Buckhalter, seems to indicate their willingness to commit more to the run perhaps, but we’ll have to see how things are with Donovan back there. Will the POA play by the DL improve to protect a secondary that was often exposed? This is a team that values trench play, on both sides, but they are really counting on some kids stepping up. This team’s potential to succeed, particularly with the defense, very much resides on young talent stepping up. Can the LB’s provide some bigger plays … but also more consistency? How will the secondary do? Certainly, some of the issues revolved around the DL’s struggles, but then again, some guys struggled lat year. Offense should be solid, the concerns rest moreso with the defense. They are in a tough division. They have good coaching, though, so this is a team that should be in most of their games at the very least.

cunningham06
05-02-2007, 07:34 PM
hey guys, i am back from my game (we won) uve probably already discuused this but brady quinn? jeez

Quarterbacks falling out of the top 10 could become a trend every year, who knows.

cunningham06
05-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Okay, so it's 3+ days since the draft. Has anyone's opinion changed?

Our draft is alright, it makes sense in an Eagles kind of way, but that Kolb pick was awful. I know Jacksonville was interested, but if you know a team is going to make a big reach to take a player you like, you've got to let it go. Making a bigger reach and taking that player earlier is just a bad move in my opinion. Chris Houston was still on board, and while I didn't like the idea of taking him in the first, he was good value and would have been a great addition to our defense.

For the way we are going to play next season the draft makes sense, apart from the Kolb pick which I've already stated my views on. I would have gone a different direction.

For one, I would have Takeo Spikes slated to play SAM. Gocong would back him up and gradually get used to the position. I felt we threw McCoy into a starting role a little too early, and don't want to do the same to Gocong. I like Gaither at WILL and would like to keep him there. Gaither is the MIKE of the future, but he is a different style than what we have now and who knows how effective he will be. We've seen promise from him at WILL, and I would rather keep him on the field as a starter at WILL this season and in the future to see what we've really got. I would then draft David Harris to be our MIKE of the future. Our LB's of the future would be Gaither-Harris-Gocong.

I like Bradley as a player, and am glad he's an Eagle, but I would have preferred us go in the direction I described above. We could have nabbed more marquee playmakers if we were to go in that direction IMO.

Abiamiri I really like no problem with that pick.

Stewart Bradley is fine for what we are doing on defense.

Tony Hunt fills a need and is a great player, I really like this pick.

CJ Gaddis is an awesome player, I really like him. He needs to beef up, but his style of play is more in the style of a SS. If he were to get to be around 215-220, like Toonster said, I would be comfortable with him playing SS. I think we can all agree that Considine is not the man we want playing SS.

Barksdale is a pick I don't like that much. We probably should have addressed CB before this point. I don't think he will amount to much more than Will James or Joselio Hanson, but picking him means there will be good competition for the nickel spot.

Nate Ilaoa was a good pick in the seventh, probably one of the best value picks of the round.

We got a lot of solid players, Abiamiri and Gaddis have some star potential, but we didn't get any real marquee players. That's ok though, our draft makes sense, but I didn't like the Kolb and Barksdale picks.

I'm not as mad about our draft now as I was right after, but we definitely could have done better.

eaglesalltheway
05-03-2007, 06:59 PM
I like toonster's evaluation, he is very knowledgeable, one of, if not the most knowledgeable on this site, he is right in his evaluations, and I like this draft looking back.

LitoSheppard
05-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Check out the new sig^^
#1 Supporter of Kolb baby!

bsaza2358
05-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Lito, you try my patience sometimes. More power to ya...

Black Majic
05-04-2007, 02:08 PM
As far as i know Lito ur his only fan

bsaza2358
05-04-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm not really a fan of his, but I'm here to promote a positive and interesting discussion environment.

Lito, your sig is okay, but it looks kind of simple graphically. You could do better, but if you like it, enjoy.

Eaglez.Fan
05-04-2007, 05:56 PM
I hope Kolb doens't play in 2 years, McNabb is an elite QB, if he can stay healthy I see this turning into the Green Bay situation, which isn't that bad cuz that'd mean McNabb is doing well.

Riotmaker
05-04-2007, 07:21 PM
The only thing wrong with the Kolb pick is where it was at. They definitely should have went defense there, but they got a lot of good guys later in Abiamiri, Bradley, Gaddis and Barskdale, unless I'm forgetting someone. As for Kolb, he's a very good player and I don't mind him being the starting QB in 3 or 4 years. It's just a shame he had to be the first pick of the draft that needed to be almost all defense.

LitoSheppard
05-05-2007, 12:15 PM
I was just thinking about how loaded we are on both offense and defense..if this isn't what a superbowl team looks like I don't know what does..
QB:McNabb, Kolb, Feeley, Holcomb
RB:Westbrook, Buck, Moats, Hunt, Nasty Nate
WR:Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, Hank Baskett, Greg Lewis, Jeremy Bloom, Jason Avant
TE: L.J Smith, Scholbel, and that guy we drafted I forgot
LT:William Thomas, Winston Justice
LG:Todd, and that huge guy from Goeriga
C:Jamal Jackson
RG:Shawn Andrews
RT:Jon Runyan

LE:Trent Cole,Juqua Thomas, Victor Abrimi, Chris Gocong
RE:Jevon Kearse, Darren Howard, Juqua Thomas, Chris GoCong, Victor Abrimi
ROLB:Omar Gaither, Matt McCoy, Chris GoCong
MLB:Trotter, Gaither
LOLB:Spikes, Gaither, GoCong
DT:Monte Reagor, Mike Patterson, Brodick Bunkley, Sam Rayburn
FS: Dawkins, Mikel
SS:Considine, Mikel
CB:Sheppard, Brown
Nickel Back:Will James, Jhulio Hanson

None of this in order, but it looks good to me, only team looking as good IMO is the Patriots. Im exited.

bsaza2358
05-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Lito, if you're going to do a depth chart, please know the names of all of the players, don't forget the name of our starting FB, and don't spell the names of players wrong. You can do better than that...

LitoSheppard
05-07-2007, 06:42 PM
HOW DID WE DO?

Rd Sel# Player Pos. Ht. Wt. School
2 36 Kolb, Kevin QB 6-3 220 Houston- Will turn out to be a great pick for all the doubters- A
2 57 Abiamiri, Victor DE 6-5 271 Notre Dame- Best availble DE so A
3 87 Bradley, Stewart OLB 6-4 256 Nebraska- Love this kid he is just a football loving hitter-B
3 90 Hunt, Tony RB 6-0 230 Penn State-Although i don't like him personally he will be a good weapon-B[erspma;;y
5 159 Gaddis, C.J. FS 6-0 210 Clemson-A
Remember the last time we got a saftey from Clemson? ....
5 162 Celek, Brent TE 6-4 261 Cincinnati-meh D
6 201 Barksdale, Rashad CB 6-2 210 Albany-meh D
7 236 Ilaoa, Nate FB 5-8 248 Hawaii-A! this kid is a beast~!
There ya go

LitoSheppard
05-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Lito, if you're going to do a depth chart, please know the names of all of the players, don't forget the name of our starting FB, and don't spell the names of players wrong. You can do better than that...

Dude i was just thinking about who we have not depth chart.. and Thomas Tapeh i know that.

bsaza2358
05-08-2007, 09:39 AM
There is a lot of depth and quality on the Eagles team right now, but missing a solid contributor and spelling names wrong is beneath what we are as fans. I'm just trying to hold all of us Eagles fans to the appropriate standard.

Black Majic
05-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Id rather us go into the season as under dogs again. And i stay away from the S word til we make the playoffs. A team doesnt really have to be complete to make it to the big dance. A solid run game and a defense can get you there. Ravens, Bears, and if they had an extra week last year the titans. I have to admit i was screaming at the eagles for not going after Ahmad Carrol when he was released but now i understand.

machoking6
05-08-2007, 10:02 AM
I know a lot of Eagles fans held a collective look of shock on their faces when it was announced that the Eagles drafted Kevin Kolb. It's a natural reaction when the Eagles have a top 3, MVP-esque QB in McNabb when he's healthy. Now that it's been well over a week since the draft officially ended, there is no use in being bitter. He's our QB of the future and we must deal with it, so we mine as well look at it in a positive light. Last time we drafted our QB of the future we were left with feelings of bitterness and resentment. The last time I checked, we've been quite pleased with the production of that QB.

Now I know the two biggest knocks on the selection of Kolb is 1)we should've addressed defense and 2)we reached for him. We should've addressed defense had Reggie Nelson, Michael Griffin, or Brandon Meriweather been on the board. Unfortunately, none of them were available. Anthony Spencer was available, but this draft had a lot of DE talent. In fact, the pool was so deep that landed Abiamiri, who should've gone a lot earlier than when he did. I'm certainly not complaining. Alan Branch was still on the board, but there was obviously something about him that nobody liked considering that he slipped from being a top 10 pick to being the first pick in the 2nd round. I liked him a lot because of his run stuffing ability, but there was no way the Eagles would select him with their first pick just to take on a Hollis Thomas type role. Paul Posluszny was available, and I'm sure he was a popular choice. In fact, I really liked the idea of getting him early in the draft process. Once we got Takeo Spikes though, Posluszny wasn't a hot commodity. We knew Gocong would come back and be our SLB, Trotter would man the MLB, and Spikes would play WLB. It was inevitable. McCoy would back up Spikes, Gaither would back up Trotter, and at the time, Tank Daniels would back up Gocong. They were very pleased with this arrangement, so they passed up on Posluszny to see what they could get in the later rounds. It just so happens that they got an absolute steal in Stewart Bradley. I'm ecstatic about our LB corps, so I say it was a blessing in disguise not drafting Posluszny. We could've selected Eric Weddle, but I don't think the Eagles liked the potential Considine/Weddle secondary. Not much strength in the run game there. Lastly, we could've gotten Chris Houston. He could've been a solid #4 guy this year, until he was groomed to be the nickel and an eventual starter. CB is a very deep position though. In fact, it is extremely deep. We know this year we had a good trio of Lito, Sheldon, and Will James. If James bolts, we could either sign a FA or draft a CB next year. At this point, all the top defensive talent is off the board. Offensively, we're set. Andy Reid felt it was time to start grooming our QB of the future so he picked Kolb.

Everybody keeps on insisting that we reached for Kolb at #36. Not true, because Kolb was the Dolphins pick at #40 had he not been off the board. Obviously there's something special about Kolb since the Dolphins passed on Brady Quinn in hopes of getting him in the 2nd.

To wrap it up, the selection of Kolb was a very good one. McNabb has been hurt 3 out of the past 5 seasons. He's getting older. If he's healthy, there is no question that he's our guy. When he's gone though, we have someone waiting in the wings. And the sick thing is, Kolb will be as prepared as ever for when he steps up to take over the QB throne. The Eagles were knocked for taking Kolb over the likes of John Beck, Trent Edwards, and Drew Stanton. Kolb is a four year starter. Experience is something you cannot teach. Sure, he played out of a college system and that could hurt him in the pros. McNabb played out of a college system as well. In fact, last year's Offensive Rookie of the Year played in a college system. John Beck shouldn't have been the pick because he's an old man. By the time we groomed him, he would've been damn near 30 years old. Trent Edwards slipped way far, so obviously there was something about him that a lot of teams didn't like. Drew Stanton is OK, but I wouldn't have selected him over Kolb. Just check out there numbers. No comparison. All in all, Kolb was the guy. I can see the Eagles justification of the pick and I am happy overall.

Black Majic
05-09-2007, 10:21 AM
What happens if Mcnabb stays healthy for the next for years. Does he get cut in a salary cap move, and then Kolb will be quote "Older" by then.

bsaza2358
05-09-2007, 10:42 AM
I watched NFL Live last night on ESPN. They were focusing on the NFC East. The analysts there mentioned that McNabb has an option year in his contract after 2008. The Eagles can basically cut him or change the contract after that time. He can be extended or cut at that point. It was built in there as an "evaluation point" for the team. They're going to give McNabb another 2 years with the team, then they can see where we stand.

eaglesalltheway
05-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Something tells me AR would keep him, no matter what.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
06-22-2007, 03:14 AM
The only pick I am not crazy about is Kolb. It's not that I think he cant play. I just wonder why two other quarterbacks were signed.

If you think Kolb is the quarterback of the future, kudos for getting him. It just seems like the Eagles are a contender to me. Strong from top to bottom. So why not trade up for top prospects that can make you stronger this year.

I am not trying to start a war. I like all the picks except for him. At the same time, what are the chances of all these picks making a team with such good depth?

McNabb can still play at a high level, in my opinion. And the backups are solid. I would think that over the next 2 years, a quarterback will come out that you like.

Again, I am giving my opinion with the utmost respect for your organization. I know I should not critque a team that has such a good history with thier draft picks.

bsaza2358
06-22-2007, 08:47 AM
If you read a lot of what we've discussed, we've been through all of these issues already. The team claims it drafted Kolb because he was the best available player on the board at the time. I call it that + he's McNabb insurance for the future. I would have liked the team to get an immediate impact-type player with that pick, but they got that later in the round with Abriamiri. By making the trade, they also got to take a flyer on Kolb and added Stewart Bradley. I'm pretty happy with it.

bsaza2358
06-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Your concern about the rookies not making the team is probably a little unfounded. If anything, the Eagles have shown a willingness to give roster spots to less proven or unproven talent with upside over more expensive veterans. They have done an excellent job cycling talent through and making the right decisions. You seem to agree.

cunningham06
06-24-2007, 01:09 AM
I didn't expect Lajuan Ramsey to make the team last year, but he had a strong TC and made it. I don't count out late round picks to make the team.