PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL 2007 DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION (post it all in here)

S4L
04-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Try to post everything about the draft tomorrow in this thread.

Most of the stuff posted tomorrow will only be discussion (i.e. Ooh, bad pick by Cleveland).

If there's a rumor about the Steelers trading up/down, or anything of that nature, post in here.

The only new draft topics that should have their own threads are discussing the first round choice after he has been selected, and any important info in regards to saving the world.

I don't want to have any new threads that should just be posts in this thread (aka Tomlin SUX!, I don't want Poz, etc.)

And FYI, I will not be around here for much of the draft, but I will be enough to stop any rabble-rousing. If there's any kind of conflict, settle it within the rules. No dueling with loaded pistols will be permitted.

Less than 12 hours left until the draft! Go Steelers http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Mr. Stiller
04-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Mayock has us Screwed if we don't want Staley/Blalock at 1.15
1) Oakland Raiders - Calvin Johnson
2) Detroit Lions - Gaines Adams
3) Cleveland Browns - JaMarcus Russell
4) Tampa Bay Buccs - Joe Thomas
5) Arizona Cardinals - Adrian Peterson
6) Washington Redskins - LaRon Landry
7) Minnesota Vikings - Darrelle Revis
8) Atlanta falcons - Jamaal Anderson
9) Miami Dolphins - Brady Quinn
10) Houston Texans - Levi Brown
11) San Francisco 49ers - Patrick Willis
12) Buffalo Bills - Leon Hall
13) St. Louis Rams - Adam Carriker
14) Carolina Panthers - Jon Beason.

15) Pittsburgh Steelers - Lawrence Timmons

He has the initials.. but he's not going to be the next Lawrence Taylor IMO.

skarocksoi
04-28-2007, 08:28 AM
That seems to be the popular pick for us. At least people are figuring out that we are still running a 3-4 this year. I think our pick is going to suprise a lot of people, including all of us. I just have a feeling something crazy is going to happen. I hope it works out

In scotts mock, Jamaal Anderson goes the pick right before us. Maybe he falls one more if the panthers take a safety instead?

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 11:03 AM
alright, i think im still drunk but, im pumped baby

lets go steelersssssssss

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 12:40 PM
damn man no jamaal now for us

skarocksoi
04-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Wow brady quinn just got faced by Ginn. I did not see that coming at all.

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 12:59 PM
reeeeeeee-damn-diculous

i dont understand that at all

on another note, this damn under armour commercial is getting old

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 01:23 PM
couple more picks, heres to hoping a trade back happens

people i want

grubbs
staley
carriker (maybe)
jarrett
bowe
thats about it i think

steelernation77
04-28-2007, 01:40 PM
there goes carriker

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 01:45 PM
damn the panthers have traded with the jets...

less chances of us for a trade down

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 02:03 PM
timmons

eh

damnit, really wanted a trade down

skarocksoi
04-28-2007, 02:06 PM
I dont really mind. I thought we were going to do something crazy, but I guess not.

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 02:08 PM
yeah i guess i was hoping for something crazy

richdg
04-28-2007, 03:08 PM
This just adds to my confusion. We loose our coach. So we go out and hire a young coach who runs a 4-3 cover 2. Then we keep LeBaeu the master of the 3-4. Then we let Porter, one of the top OLB's in a 3-4, go. Then our new coach makes a commitment to the 3-4. Now we draft Timmons. This seems like running in circles. If Harrison is not the long term answer, then why let Porter go? If we are going to stay with the 3-4, why let Porter go? We have several holes. Why not keep Porter and then draft another player and fill another hole? All we did, is cut Porter and replced him with Timmons. It wasn't money, because it will only save us about 1 million this coming year.
Our new coach knows the 4-3/cover 2. He is a D coach. Yet we keep LeBaeu to run a 3-4. Would it not make more sense to hire a coach who is a great O coach?
As for Timmons, I hope he works out. I think he is to small to be a good LB in a 3-4. Yes he has speed. But he does not match up well against the Ravens or the Bengels. Both have strong power running games, with big strong FB's.

Now, that I have that out of my system, let's go Steelers! Who's the pick in round 2? Maybe we move up?

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 03:20 PM
yea i am a bit confused by the pick but, we'll see

skarocksoi
04-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Rookie contracts are a lot cheaper than the new contract Porter wanted, plus he was a possible holdout an getting a lot older. We replaced a need at OLB. I dont know why thats really confusing. I just think its kinda generic to what I was expecting.

I hope they trade up as well. Staley is still on the board right now and could very well drop into the second round. If he makes it into the second round we should definitely trade up.

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 04:40 PM
yeah i guess confusing isnt the word i was looking for, kind of just... bland, which would be the opposite

High Roller
04-28-2007, 05:08 PM
the steelers made a great pick.

and this new coach will be improving our cover defense (thats why Rooney went ahead and got him)

so porter, begging for more money was released because now we have a player with a lot of potential in our defense to play like joey porter does or better and we're set

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 05:13 PM
who do u think we are looking at in rd 2?

richdg
04-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Porter would have only cost us about 5 million this year. timmons, with his signing bonus will cost about the same. We made a hole we didn't have to. We won the SB last year. Most of the players were there to do it again soon. If we are going to rebuild, then get rid of everyone over 28, and do it. Don't half a#$ it.
On a different note, it still remains to be seen if Whiz and grimm will have any luck in Arz., but I really like their draft so far. Brown and Branch. Just made both of their lines a lot better.

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 06:05 PM
yeah i like brown but it sucks for them they hada get him at 5

though i think branch will be a steal

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 06:36 PM
noooo i was hoping jarrett woulda fell to us

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 06:37 PM
ill take woodley, not a bad pick at all

richdg
04-28-2007, 06:43 PM
No, no,no,no,no,no. Tomlin is trying to get fired. Timmons maybe ok, but Woodley will not be a good pro. There is no bigger Michigan fan around than me. Woodley is to small to be a DE, too slow to be a OLB, and sucks in coverage. Yes, he is a great guy. he plays with heart, and doesn't quit. But his skills do not tranlate well into the NFL. Worse yet, Leonard was there.

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 06:56 PM
i dont know... i know the knocks on woodley but i think the cat can ball

you cant teach someone the effort, intensity, and heart that he plays with

skarocksoi
04-28-2007, 07:04 PM
woodley is the guy. I honestly didnt think we would take him in the second either. Two linebackers in the first 2 rounds though. There goes my hopes of tim shaw.

richdg
04-28-2007, 07:12 PM
That brings me back to an earlier point. Tomlin has coached for 6 years in the NFL. All of them were with teams that ran the 4-3/cover 2. He knows nothing about O. LeBaeu is there to run the D. Why is Tomlin here? By our first 2 picks it is clear were are staying with the 3-4 long term. I so need to get drunk!
I have watched Woodley for the last 4 years. He has great heart. But he is a worse athlete than Alonzo Jackson. His heart and hustle will keep him around. But he will not be a star.
If anyone would have told me 2 weeks ago, that in the first 2 rounds we could take Branch and Leonard, I would have told you you were nuts. I then would have ran around like a crazy man. We could have had Both! The power back we need, and some serious help along the DL.

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 07:20 PM
they said woodley will play the strong, left side of the 3 - 4... ala clark haggans, the position that doesnt drop into coverage much and really just rushes the passer / run support

dont rule out shaw though, if its a value pick we can still use another LB, timmons may move to the inside

richdg
04-28-2007, 07:23 PM
I was thiniking that about Timmons. Add 10-15 pounds and become Farriors replacement.

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 07:31 PM
yeah tomlin said he can play any of the linebacking positions

CDub
04-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Timmons may have potential inside but I think they plan on him being outside.

I really like the Woodley pick. I think he's a great value pick in the 2nd because it wasn't more than two months ago that he was in consideration for a mid 1st rd pick.

Also, I tried my hand at a 1st rd mock for the first time and threw it over in the mock thread and man did I f that up! Only got 2 picks right, Russell to Oak and ours (and the only eason I got ours is cause my buddy's old man is close friends with one of the LB coaches and said the only guy rated higher on our board was Revis). Just goes to show me how unpredictable the whole thing is.

Here's to hoping for Hunt in the 3rd

steelernation77
04-28-2007, 07:49 PM
they said woodley will play the strong, left side of the 3 - 4... ala clark haggans, the position that doesnt drop into coverage much and really just rushes the passer / run support

dont rule out shaw though, if its a value pick we can still use another LB, timmons may move to the inside

Do you remember what the Steelers/Tomlin said this in? I was wondering how they're planning on using Woodley.

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 07:58 PM
yeah the interviews on steelers.com

also post-gazette.com

http://news.steelers.com/article/76029/

High Roller
04-28-2007, 09:17 PM
that pick was the worst pick ive ever seen made by the steelers.
we already have two good TE's: Heath Miller and Jeremy Tuman
i am clueless as to why in hell mike tomlin would allow this but there mustve been SOME reason

i.want.troys.hair
04-28-2007, 09:26 PM
tuman costs way to much for the amount of production he puts out. This guy is a monster who will be more able to handle the blocking assignments while they can use Miller's incredible pass-catching abilities more often. Look for Tuman to not be on the roster to make cap room for Ben, Troy, and possibly Faneca.

Speaking of Faneca, I wonder what happened to the trade rumors. I kind of wish that they would have been true, but nonetheless we will at least get to keep the best guard in the league for another year.

As for the other two picks, I think that with LeBeau and Tomlin these picks must be good because they both definitely know their defense.

skarocksoi
04-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Spaeth? I think thats the first really questionable pick today. If he's just a blocking back, we could have gotten that much later. I feel we should have gone OT, CB, WR, or Tony Hunt. I'm dissapointed with this pick.

DeathbyStat
04-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Spaeth.....ahhhhh!

Now have another TE that can be ignored in our offense. I understand that they want to get rid of Tuman by this guy is only a blocker and not much more.

S4L
04-28-2007, 09:44 PM
I just came back from the Pirates game (we lost, natch) and this is what I'm greeted to?

I'm fine with LaMarr Woodley, but did we really need another front seven guy? We were 11th in the NFL in sacks last season, so aren't our needs more widespread. Ryan Kalil would have been a great choice here.

And then when I saw Matt Spaeth, I was about to throw a chair. I've got nothing against the guy. He's a great blocker, and a tremendous red zone threat at his size. However, in round three, corner, defensve line, O-Line, and running back are clearly bigger needs, and now we go into day two not having addressed any of them.

Think about this for a second. This could have been our first day.
1) Lawrence Timmons: OLB, Florida State
2) Ryan Kalil: C, USC
3) Michael Bush: RB, Louisville

Not bad, eh? Instead, we have this.
1) Lawrence Timmons: OLB, Florida State
2) LaMarr Woodley: DE/OLB, Michigan
3) Matt Spaeth: TE, Minnesota

I've got to say it Colbert, you haven't made the best third rounders the last two seasons. A kick returner (Reid), and now a blocking tight end? What's going on.

And Tomlin, you only have one chance at a first impression, and, at least for me, it hasn't been a very good one.

i.want.troys.hair
04-28-2007, 09:49 PM
I disagree. While I think hes going to be a great blocker, he was the leading career TE at Minnesota in receiving yards and receptions. He's 6'7", so he makes a big target. That being said, I do somewhat question this pick, but only because I felt that we had more pressing needs and also he is recovering from shoulder surgery.

I am confident in the Steelers organization, so while some of the picks today make my skin crawl a little bit and few swear words come out of my mouth, I trust that they know what they are doing.

DeathbyStat
04-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Damned Tony Hunts is now an eagle... that makes it hurt even worse

richdg
04-28-2007, 09:54 PM
I guess I get to be different. i hated the first 2 picks, and like the 3rd. In fact I called this one in my mock 2 weeks ago. Tuman is about at the end. Spaeth is there to block. I fully expect to see more 2 TE sets. this just confirms it. Against the ravens and their 46 attacking D, you need to max protect. That is what this pick is all about. A T that wears a number in the 80's. I do not expect him to catch more than 10 passes a year. Of those 3-4 will be TD's. he has great hands, just no speed.

richdg
04-28-2007, 10:09 PM
So, day 1 is about over. Who should our targets be on day 2? I think we have covered LB's and TE's. We still need a big WR, OL (2), power RB, 3rd QB, and possible DL and S.
OL: Young, Rameriez, C. Johnson, Free
RB: Battle
S: Wendling
QB: Swogger, Finnerty, Zabransky
WR: Baker, McKnight, Kent, Trannon, Fowler
CB: Arline

CDub
04-28-2007, 10:42 PM
My day 2 targets:

OL - Rameirez, Wrotto, Studdard
RB - Bush, Wynn, Ilaoa, Moss
WR - Baker, McKnight, Breaston, Walker, Myles

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 10:44 PM
i really liked the spaeth pick

this allows us to use miller more as a receiver, and not keep him in to block (which people complained about earlier)

think our indy's offense with dallas clark in the slot, reaplce him with heath miller

overall i was hoping we would make a few moves and trade around but i like these picks

timmons can play all 4 positions

woodley will replace haggans and will be a good pass rusher

and spaeth ive already exaplained

CDub
04-28-2007, 10:46 PM
My day 2 targets:

OL - Rameirez, Wrotto, Studdard
RB - Bush, Wynn, Ilaoa, Moss
WR - Baker, McKnight, Breaston, Walker, Myles

I also wouldn't mind Blades if we could get him in the 5th or later and maybe a 7th on McClain to eventually take over for the Danimal.

steelernation77
04-28-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm not totally pleased with taking a TE this early, but I do like Spaeth. He is more than just a blocking TE, he is a very reliable pass catcher and just knows how to get open. He basically was Minnesota's entire passing game during his career. Arians has said that Spaeth will allow them to split Miller out wide more often, so I'm all for that.

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 10:55 PM
yeah i like spaeth, he gives us a lot of versatility

brat316
04-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Ilaoa is prop gonna go undrafted after poor workout

I still think we are going to take a WR or Cb that have KR abilites
Rb and line picks are comming up next i think

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 11:40 PM
yeah a guy like smith / wright / smith are going to be called tomm

JayA55
04-28-2007, 11:41 PM
This just adds to my confusion. We loose our coach. So we go out and hire a young coach who runs a 4-3 cover 2. Then we keep LeBaeu the master of the 3-4. Then we let Porter, one of the top OLB's in a 3-4, go. Then our new coach makes a commitment to the 3-4. Now we draft Timmons. This seems like running in circles. If Harrison is not the long term answer, then why let Porter go? If we are going to stay with the 3-4, why let Porter go? We have several holes. Why not keep Porter and then draft another player and fill another hole? All we did, is cut Porter and replced him with Timmons. It wasn't money, because it will only save us about 1 million this coming year.
Our new coach knows the 4-3/cover 2. He is a D coach. Yet we keep LeBaeu to run a 3-4. Would it not make more sense to hire a coach who is a great O coach?
As for Timmons, I hope he works out. I think he is to small to be a good LB in a 3-4. Yes he has speed. But he does not match up well against the Ravens or the Bengels. Both have strong power running games, with big strong FB's.

Now, that I have that out of my system, let's go Steelers! Who's the pick in round 2? Maybe we move up?

Because Porter wasn't the answer anymore either. Would you rather pay a 30+ year old all of that money, or someone that is 20?

I think they plan on using Timmons somewhat how Adalius was used. Timmons can play the pass, he can play weakside or ILB in the 3-4, and outside in a 4-3 stance. Ultimate flexibility with Timmons. From the sounds of it everyone was sold on this kid, Colbert, LeBeau, and Tomlin. If they like then I'm pretty confident in their pick as well.

JayA55
04-28-2007, 11:43 PM
No, no,no,no,no,no. Tomlin is trying to get fired. Timmons maybe ok, but Woodley will not be a good pro. There is no bigger Michigan fan around than me. Woodley is to small to be a DE, too slow to be a OLB, and sucks in coverage. Yes, he is a great guy. he plays with heart, and doesn't quit. But his skills do not tranlate well into the NFL. Worse yet, Leonard was there.

Colbert is the trigger puller, not Tomlin.

edit:

Also, why do we need Alan Branch?

mikehop05
04-28-2007, 11:44 PM
yeah i mean as much as we scrutinize the draft i am pretty sure they know more than we do

glennjamen3
04-29-2007, 12:00 AM
Call me silly but I'm pretty pleased with our first day. The way I see it, we lost one player from our top ten defense that we had last year. Granted it was joey but I love James H. and I don't think he'll be tooooooooooo much of a fall off (said with a cringe). But we've helped our terrible special teams coverage a lot and we've given our D some crazy versatility. I'll leave it up to Dick to decide what he wants to do with it. I guess he wants to rotate them in for Haggans and Harrison late in games next year.

As far as Spaeth goes, I would be lying if I said I was happy when I saw it, but I am really starting to warm up to it. Like everybody else has said we can now open up Miller which will be a better help than ANY wideout we could've taken (except Calvin). And as far as TE go this guy sounds pretty good. He is huge and has sure hands which means Ben can dump it more instead of toss it up.

I'm hoping that Beekman slips another 19 picks tomorrow so we can grab him. Overall though, I hope we go for some O-line. I think we can find a decent RB (Battle) in the next round or so. Other than that... who knows what the hell we are doing? But I like it.

mikehop05
04-29-2007, 12:14 AM
i agree overall with glenn...

though i dont think we pick beekman... itll be interesting tomm too to say the leaast

Hines
04-29-2007, 01:28 AM
i want beekman

baylor punter
(still dont know his name haha)

pittman or battle now

allison

bennett

josh gattis

SteelCityNightmare
04-29-2007, 03:45 AM
what do you think is the best available for day two?

I like Beekman as well but if he is not available when we pick I would not mind grabbing Manuel Ramirez from Texas Tech. Here is a list of who's available tommorrow.

Defensive Tackle
87. Ryan McBean DT Oklahoma St.
99. Paul Soliai DT Utah
111. Marcus Thomas DT Florida
144. Antonio Johnson DT Mississippi St.
149. Kareem Brown DT Miami (FL)
154. Clifton Ryan DT Michigan St.
198. Derek Landri DT Notre Dame
238. Matt Toeaina DT Oregon
243. Joe Cohen DT Florida
250. David Patterson DT Ohio St.
254. Walter Thomas DT NW Mississippi C.C.

Defensive End
82. Brian Robison DE Texas
98. Jay Moore DE Nebraska
110. Baraka Atkins DE Miami (FL)
175. Victor DeGrate DE Oklahoma St.
178. Xzavie Jackson DE Missouri
186. Chase Pittman DE L.S.U.
205. C.J. Ah You DE Oklahoma
213. Jacob Ford DE Central Arkansas
223. Greg Peterson DE North Carolina Central
231. Mkristo Bruce DE Washington St.
240. Justin Hickman DE U.C.L.A.

Outside Linebacker
109. Tim Shaw OLB Penn St.
116. Stephen Nicholas OLB South Florida
119. Rufus Alexander OLB Oklahoma
145. Rory Johnson OLB Ole Miss
148. Earl Everett OLB Florida
151. Antwan Barnes OLB Florida International
161. Dallas Sartz OLB USC
174. Tony Taylor OLB Georgia
183. Juwan Simpson OLB Alabama
187. KaMichael Hall OLB Georgia Tech
203. Prescott Burgess OLB Michigan
233. Nick Roach OLB Northwestern
251. Chad Nkang OLB Elon

Inside Linebacker
83. Brandon Siler ILB Florida
125. Zak DeOssie ILB Brown
129. H.B. Blades ILB Pittsburgh
157. Nate Harris ILB Louisville
184. Kelvin Smith ILB Syracuse
189. Desmond Bishop ILB California
196. Marvin Mitchell ILB Tennessee
208. Jon Abbate ILB Wake Forest

Cornerback
51. Tanard Jackson CB Syracuse
79. Fred Bennett CB South Carolina
91. Michael Coe CB Alabama St.
108. Tarell Brown CB Texas
117. Kenny Scott CB Georgia Tech
120. David Irons CB Auburn
139. DeAndre Jackson CB Iowa St.
143. Anthony Arline CB Baylor
147. A.J. Davis CB North Carolina St.
150. C.J. Gaddis CB Clemson
158. Travarous Bain CB Hampton
164. David Jones CB Wingate
170. Ryan Smith CB Florida
179. Tim Mixon CB California
188. C.J. Wilson CB Baylor
197. Brandon McDonald CB Memphis
215. Ramzee Robinson CB Alabama
219. Corey Graham CB New Hampshire
227. William *** CB Louisville
232. Courtney Brown CB Cal Poly
239. Marcus Hamilton CB Virginia
245. Bo Smith CB Weber St.

Safety
105. John Wendling S Wyoming
118. Josh Gattis S Wake Forest
152. Michael Johnson S Arizona
169. Marvin White S T.C.U.
177. Daren Stone S Maine
181. Kevin Payne S Louisiana-Monroe
192. Eric Frampton S Washington St.
199. Jesse Daniels S L.S.U.
218. Chinedum Ndukwe S Notre Dame
221. Melvin Bullitt S Texas A&M
246. Patrick Ghee S Wake Forest
248. Craig Dahl S North Dakota St.

Quarterbacks
100. Troy Smith QB Ohio St.
166. Tyler Palko QB Pittsburgh
190. Chris Leak QB Florida
194. Jared Zabransky QB Boise St.
200. Jordan Palmer QB U.T.E.P.
210. Isaiah Stanback QB Washington
224. Jeff Rowe QB Nevada
236. Toby Korrodi QB Central Missouri

Half Backs
56. Michael Bush RB Louisville
58. Antonio Pittman RB Ohio St.
122. Kolby Smith RB Louisville
127. Dwayne Wright RB Fresno St.
133. Darius Walker RB Notre Dame
155. DeShawn Wynn RB Florida
185. Kenneth Darby RB Alabama
212. Ramonce Taylor RB Texas College
214. Selvin Young RB Texas

Fullbacks
138. Le'Ron McClain FB Alabama
220. Cory Anderson FB Tennessee
229. Jackie Battle FB Houston
253. Deon Anderson FB Connecticut

Wide Receivers
68. Aundrae Allison WR East Carolina
112. David Clowney WR Virginia Tech
124. Courtney Taylor WR Auburn
128. Dallas Baker WR Florida
130. Rhema McKnight WR Notre Dame
136. Chansi Stuckey WR Clemson
165. Steve Breaston WR Michigan
171. Chris Davis WR Florida St.
201. Legedu Naanee WR Boise St.
207. Jemalle Cornelius WR Florida
211. Brandon Myles WR West Virginia
217. Ryne Robinson WR Miami (OH)
237. Joel Filani WR Texas Tech
241. Jerard Rabb WR Boise St.
247. Syndric Steptoe WR Arizona
252. David Ball WR New Hampshire

Tight End
53. Ben Patrick TE Delaware
102. Scott Chandler TE Iowa
114. Martrez Milner TE Georgia
159. Joe Newton TE Oregon St.
168. Kevin Boss TE Western Oregon
173. Michael Allan TE Whitworth
193. Clark Harris TE Rutgers
216. Cody Boyd TE Washington St.
235. Dante Rosario TE Oregon
242. Gijon Robinson TE Missouri Western

Offensive Tackles
80. Doug Free OT Northern Illinois
137. Allen Barbre OT Missouri Southern St.
142. Adam Koets OT Oregon St.
146. Jermon Bushrod OT Towson
156. Julius Wilson OT U.A.B.
167. Chris Denman OT Fresno St.
172. Brandon Frye OT Virginia Tech
180. Jacob Bender OT Nicholls St.
195. Chase Johnson OT Wyoming
222. Elliot Vallejo OT Cal-Davis
234. Corey Hilliard OT Oklahoma St.
244. Dane Uperesa OT Hawaii
249. Mike Otto OT Purdue

Offensive Guards
76. Josh Beekman OG Boston College
121. Manuel Ramirez OG Texas Tech
141. Uche Nwaneri OG Purdue
176. Dan Santucci OG Notre Dame
182. Mansfield Wrotto OG Georgia Tech
191. Cameron Stephenson OG Rutgers
202. Tim Duckworth OG Auburn
206. Tala Esera OG Hawaii
228. Mike Jones OG Iowa

Center/Long Snappers
113. Leroy Harris C North Carolina St.
126. Doug Datish C Ohio St.
160. Dan Mozes C West Virginia
209. Scott Stephenson C Iowa St.
225. Enoka Lucas C Oregon
230. Dustin Fry C Clemson
254. Nick Leeson LS Virginia Tech

Special Teams
77. Mason Crosby K Colorado
103. Daniel Sepulveda P Baylor
162. Adam Podlesh P Maryland

richdg
04-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Let me go through this again.
1. Tomlin is a 4-3/cover 2 coach. that is the only system he has ran. We are keeping the 3-4. After the draft, it looks like we are keeping the 3-4 long term. A offense based HC would seem to have made more sense.
2. Yes, Porter is closer to the end than the begining. But he was in the last year of his contract. let him play it out. Then we would have recieved a comp. pick for him next year. Now we have nothing.
3. Harrison did not earn the job as starter, now he may never be the starter. For the last month or so, everyone: fans, coaches, and front office were all excited about Harrison starting. That was clearly BS.
4. The protype OLB in a 3-4 is 6-3/250. Neither of our first 2 picks fits the bill. Both are to short, and Timmons is to light.
5. 14 months ago we won the SB. 1 or 2 good players, we could have made another run at it, before our core gets to old. We are further away today, than we were at the end of the season. If you are going to rebuild, then do it. Trade Faneca, Haggans, Ward, M. Smith etc.... while they have value. There really is not much difference between 6-10 and 8-8. Either way you are out of the playoffs.
6. Woodley is supposed to play the same spot as Haggans. That means neither of our first 2 picks is a potential starter at the begining of the season.
I could go on, but will not. I really don't like what the Steelers are doing. I hope it all works out. The Rooneys have done a great job over the years. So hope springs eternal.

Sgt Pepper
04-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Rich, you are looking at it entirely wrong. The Steelers would have to pay their first round a large salary regardless if Porter stayed or not. Now they don't have to pay a round one salary over top of Porter's salary. Cutting Porter was the right thing to do, not because of the money but, but because he was unproductive, overrated, and on the decline. I don't want to hear that he was double teamed because that is just not true. He was consistantly handled by a single tackle. Letting him play out his last year wouldn't workd because he was going to hold out for a new contract. Good player and a good Steeler but his time was up.

On another note I think we may have seen the last of the 34. Timmons should do very well in a 43 but I don't think Woodley will turn out to be as good.

SteelCityNightmare
04-29-2007, 09:59 AM
What do you think of the Steelers possibly taking a flyer out on Jeff Samardzija similarly to what was done with Drew Henson?

S4L
04-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Yes! Daniel Sepulveda, a pick I finally like. He can come in and possibly be an immediate upgrade over released Chris Gardocki. I think we may have a punter for the next few years, hopefully as good as Mat McBriar.

SteelCityNightmare
04-29-2007, 11:52 AM
missed out on Ramirez, Grotto, and Beakman but we reinforced the DLine again with Ryan McBean. Should be a pretty solid player. Worried that the O-Line has yet to be addressed.

JayA55
04-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Let me go through this again.
1. Tomlin is a 4-3/cover 2 coach. that is the only system he has ran. We are keeping the 3-4. After the draft, it looks like we are keeping the 3-4 long term. A offense based HC would seem to have made more sense.
2. Yes, Porter is closer to the end than the begining. But he was in the last year of his contract. let him play it out. Then we would have recieved a comp. pick for him next year. Now we have nothing.
3. Harrison did not earn the job as starter, now he may never be the starter. For the last month or so, everyone: fans, coaches, and front office were all excited about Harrison starting. That was clearly BS.
4. The protype OLB in a 3-4 is 6-3/250. Neither of our first 2 picks fits the bill. Both are to short, and Timmons is to light.
5. 14 months ago we won the SB. 1 or 2 good players, we could have made another run at it, before our core gets to old. We are further away today, than we were at the end of the season. If you are going to rebuild, then do it. Trade Faneca, Haggans, Ward, M. Smith etc.... while they have value. There really is not much difference between 6-10 and 8-8. Either way you are out of the playoffs.
6. Woodley is supposed to play the same spot as Haggans. That means neither of our first 2 picks is a potential starter at the begining of the season.
I could go on, but will not. I really don't like what the Steelers are doing. I hope it all works out. The Rooneys have done a great job over the years. So hope springs eternal.

1. Cowher and LeBeau were defensive guys. Were you opposed to that combo? For a HC I want a leader of men, not a specialist.

2. Why let him play it out when he was ineffective in his most important duty, getting after the QB, and he was due a huge bonus. On top of that he wanted a big extension now and was a threat to hold out. It makes more sense to let him go now, besides we literally did not have the cap room to even pay him his bonus. That was really the bottom line of that situation, cap casuality plain and simple. Now we have a young guy that can get after the QB.

3. Harrison will start but won't be full time.

The rest is debatable.

As far as your last point, we needed to draft some OLBs this year, there's no debating that and they will play and contribute. Regardless of who we picked to play OLB though no one would have been able to come in and become the full time starter from week 1. I don't know what your beef is there, that's just the reality of the situation.

bearfan
04-29-2007, 04:22 PM
man, you guys just got a steal with Dallas Baker in the 7th

TheGunShow
04-29-2007, 04:46 PM
I'd have to give our draft a B. Got decent value with all picks. Filled a lot of needs. We still need an ILB and bigger RB. But all-in-all not half bad.

richdg
04-29-2007, 05:02 PM
I will keep this real short and sweet. 6-10 here we come. Not just for 2007, but for 2008 as well.

skarocksoi
04-29-2007, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I really wanted Bishop too. All in all I'd say a decent draft, nothing spectacular, but nothing horrible either. I'd say B or B-. I would have liked to see a RB at some point, and I think we missed a guy or two that could have really come in and made a spot on the team. It looks like most of our second day picks should make the team this year, so im happy with that.

NFLBOY
04-29-2007, 05:19 PM
As with all drafts, you really don't know how they turn out til later on, but I'd have to give this a 40% good draft. I like Timmons, McBean and Sepulveda, but the rest is really questionable. I have a feeling we will get pretty decent draft positions the next few years. Seems more like we are going into a whole different direction. Then again maybe Ben and Tomlin will have a good working relationship and with LeBeau still here, maybe we will be a playoff team. Right now I'm really curious to see where this team is going.

glennjamen3
04-29-2007, 05:30 PM
I just don't get it richdg. I guess I'm just seeing it differently but I don't really see too many spots on our team where a rookie could start. Our linebackers coach already discussed it after the first two picks. He said that it would be unlikely for anybody to come in and learn our defense well enough to start their rookie season. He also said that we plan on doing some different things with our defense such as baltimore does and that we needed guys who are sort of tweeners like timmons and woodley. As for Harrison, I have been pissed off on an annual basis because he hasn't been starting. He is a little small but he is as athletic as anybody on our team, he is fast, and he is strong and powerful enough to lay bricks in the box. I think he will be good enough at the least. But as for rebuilding... I am sort of glad we didn't pawn out all our good veteran players. There is no need for us to have a "down" year if we just draft smart. I say lets do as we always have and replace people as we need to rather than all at once.

I am very happy with our draft. I think we could've grabbed an OT or another OG but we did very well. And for RB, don't forget Jackie Battle wasn't drafted AND we still have Willie, Najeh, and Verron if we need him. Those guys did fairly well by themselves last year.

glennjamen3
04-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Man I just don't get all the pessimism. I'd agree that Woodley and maybe Timmons don't really fit into the defense that we've been running but at this point who knows what defense we'll be running. I know we are staying 3-4 but not every down. Tomlin has already said that schemes don't matter and that he wants to do something like Baltimore where they run both. Our linebackers coach said that Tomlin and Dick have "ideas". Hey, if LeBeau wants to get creative, great, because incredible things usually happen when he does.

steelernation77
04-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Right now I'm really diggin this draft. The way I see it:

1. We injected youth and playmaking ability in to a linebacking corps that had grown old and stale. The linebackers are the soul of the Steelers and I think we got two very promising talents that will be able to step in and make an impact quickly in the 3-4. I can't wait to see Brady Quinn getting hit by wood and LT.

2. We added a solid player in the passing game to add a new dimension to an offense that had become predictable. Expect whole new formations with Heath receiving much greater attention.

3. We added a new starting punter that will do wonders for our special teams. Field position is one of the most important aspects of football. Last year Gardocki was pitiful. Sepulveda has a good leg and can place it right where we want.

4. We added depth to a D-line that thrives on rotation. Lebeau loves to rotate D-linemen in to keep them fresh. McBean is not Orien Harris because he has a good motor, something Harris lacked, but he does have similar athletic ability. He hasn't played football for too long, so he hasn't reached his full potential yet.

5. We added a CB that, while unheralded, put up impressive numbers last season and that the Steeler coaching staff absolutely loves. If you head over to steelers.com and read the interviews, they rave about this guy's intelligence, and knowledge of where to be, when.

6. We got good value in a big bodied possession receiver that was productive in college in the 7th round.

My only gripe with this draft is that we didn't do more to address the O-line, but the team likes Stephenson's versatility, and that is definitely one of the most important things when looking for O-linemen to add depth. I also would've liked a big RB, but that can be potentially found in UDFAs.

CDub
04-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Well, let's take a look:

1. Timmons - Like his attitude/energy and he's a viscious hitter but I'm not sold on his size, hopefully he'll prove me wrong. (Reminds me of Lloyd)

2. Woodley - Once viewed as a mid to late 1st rd'er so to get him in the mid 2nd is a good value, I see him as another Haggans, (who he'll take over for sooner rather than later) good but not a star.

3. Spaeth - Though it was a little early for him and I didn't view a blocking TE as a 3rd rd need for us, but he's a solid player and may even be a better blocker than Tuman and he's a good red zone target. (woulda preferred Hunt/Bush)

4a. Sepulveda- FINALLY GARDOCKI IS GONE! Major upgrade, obviously.

4b. McBean - I thought he could go at the top of the 3rd so to get him at the end of the 4th is a great value pick and he could be our top DE backup by the end of camp.

5a. Stephenson - Boom or bust guy. Lot's of potential but needs a lot of coaching on his technique, worth the pick.

5b. *** - Every Louisville game I got to see this year he stood out as a very solid player who seemed to always be around the ball and never seemed to get beat. Yet another good value pick.

7. Baker - Great value! Drafting him means we didn't have to bid for him as a FA and I woulda been happy grabbing him in the 5th or even with the comp 4th. I think he's a poor man's Dwayne Jarrett.

Overall a very solid draft. Nothing flashy but very good value for each of our picks. If I were to sum it up in one word it would be just that, value.

Grade - B-

Hines
04-29-2007, 07:07 PM
some players i would like as udfa r roderick rodgers saftey from wisconsin

and darius walker runnin back from notre dame

ill post more when i see them

Hines
04-29-2007, 07:10 PM
oh yea how could i forget brandon myles

JayA55
04-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Honestly I think certain people are impossible to please, if the Steelers don't get who they had targeted in their internet mock then they're going to be displeased. As the saying goes; "there's more than one way to skin a cat"

Our huge downfall last year was special teams, which is an extension of our defense. This has been improved drastically now.

Our other problem was pass rush, we have two guys now that excell at getting after the QB.

Next problem was our oline, we bring in Mahan and now a guy that's being compared to Mahan, and Colon has showed some good upside.

I don't see how this team has regressed from 8-8 to 6-10. Sorry, it's way too early to say that. Maybe these guys don't pan out, we don't know, but the logic in each pick makes sense.

I still say our draft is about in the B range. I would have liked an OG day one, but we'll see how that plays out.

mikehop05
04-29-2007, 08:49 PM
i may be the ultimate optimist but i love our draft

at first i was pissed because i thought we would do something crazy, but we pretty much stayed put and grabbed guys that all can make the roster, only one who may just goto the practice squad is stephenson

woodley will be a tenacious pass rusher, timmons can play all 7 LB positons... his versatility is amazing...

spaeth lets us finally use miller as a receiver, which i think we all can agree is about time

sped - i dont think anyone is upset with this pick

mcbean and stephenson both are very raw but athletic and like cdub said, are boom / bust guys

i dont know much about ***

dallas baker is great value in the 7th, i think he makes the team but doesnt get any WR reps til 08

this tells us that the steelers think they can fix the o-line problems...

that the 3-4 is here to stay for a while...

that they arn't sold on the haggans / harrison combo

they like the corners we have now

and finally that they think willie / najeh and maybe kuhn can get it done for now

(i hope they bring in battle or another rb or 2 to compete)

DeathbyStat
04-29-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm not a huge fan of this draft and I'll tell you why.

Spaeth and Sepulvdeda (both might be spelled wrong) were brought in not because they were the best players available, they were brought in so we could cut Gardocki and Tuman thus saving cap money.

I understand the move and I realize the NFL is a business plus if this move helps us resign Troy I'm all for it.

I hope we pick up Jackie Battle and Brandon Myles as un drafted rookies.

Also I think the steelers would have taken either Dwayne Jarrett or Jason Hill had they not been taken the pick before we picked in the second and third round respectively.

I know this is also hind sight but i would have taken Ryan Kalil in the second and then grabbed Tony Hunt in the third and Tim Shaw in the fifth.

mikehop05
04-29-2007, 10:19 PM
we have signed:

Darnell Stapleton
Gary Russel
Capizzi

mikehop05
04-29-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm not a huge fan of this draft and I'll tell you why.

Spaeth and Sepulvdeda (both might be spelled wrong) were brought in not because they were the best players available, they were brought in so we could cut Gardocki and Tuman thus saving cap money.

I understand the move and I realize the NFL is a business plus if this move helps us resign Troy I'm all for it.

I hope we pick up Jackie Battle and Brandon Myles as un drafted rookies.

Also I think the steelers would have taken either Dwayne Jarrett or Jason Hill had they not been taken the pick before we picked in the second and third round respectively.

I know this is also hind sight but i would have taken Ryan Kalil in the second and then grabbed Tony Hunt in the third and Tim Shaw in the fifth.

i think we would have grabbed jarrett too if he were there

also hill / robinson also

and no i think we really liked spaeth, reading the interviews with tomlin / cobert, they are really high on him

brat316
04-29-2007, 10:33 PM
I was hopeing that Tim Shaw would have been with the steelers, Jakie Battle would be a nice addition to our team

But we needed a punter, and TE truman is getting old and taking money

Does anyone know if *** or Williams are return men

mikehop05
04-29-2007, 10:56 PM
gary russel is, one of our udfa

i dont think *** is...

brat316
04-29-2007, 11:09 PM
O wow WilliamGa..y is getting *** outed lol

terribletowel39
04-30-2007, 02:31 AM
i didn't get to see any of it. so can anyone tell me why we didn't have a pick in the 6th round and why the packers had 3 in a row??

Mr. Stiller
04-30-2007, 06:17 AM
[QUOTE=terribletowel39;363692]i didn't get to see any of it. so can anyone tell me why we didn't have a pick in the 6th round and why the packers had 3 in a row??[/QUOTE

We traded our 4th and 6th to GB to move up and take Sepulveda.

terribletowel39
04-30-2007, 03:46 PM
gotcha. we must really like him. thanks.