PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Redskins Pre-Post Draft Discussion

boisefan
04-28-2007, 11:07 AM
The Redskins pick 6th overall, Discuss here what you think of any picks/trades/decisions the Redskins make on draft day.

OFFICIAL PICKS:

6. Washington Redskins: LaRon Landry, S, LSU
143. Washington Redskins: Dallas Sartz, OLB, Southern California
179. Washington Redskins: H.B. Blades, ILB, Pittsburgh
205. Washington Redskins: Jordan Palmer, QB, UTEP
216. Washington Redskins: Tyler EcKan, TE, Michigan

UDFA signings:

Jesse Wendt, WR, Wisconsin-Stout
Pete Schmitt, TE,Wisconsin-Whitewater
Taylor Sele, WR, Boston College
Terry Caulley RB Connecticut
Daniel Francis CB LSU
Stephon Heyer OL Maryland
Justin Hickman DE UCLA
Sam Hollenbach QB Maryland
Zach Latimer LB Oklahoma
Marcus Mason RB Youngstown State
Deyon Williams WR Virginia
http://www.draftdaddy.com/features/2007_NFC_UDFA.cfm

boisefan
04-28-2007, 12:19 PM
6th overall, LaRon Landry, S, LSU

critesy
04-28-2007, 01:36 PM
laron landry :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

boisefan
04-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Skins fans, get ready for a long wait.

boisefan
04-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Everyone can check out http://www.redskins.com to read what they have to say about LaRon Landry, and watch some videos of Gibbs talking about the pick.

21ST
04-28-2007, 08:41 PM
I love it, and its gonna be crazy next year cause we are probly gonna take a corner in the first.

critesy
04-28-2007, 08:55 PM
I love it, and its gonna be crazy next year cause we are probly gonna take a corner in the first.

or even next year is going to be crazy for DT's with:

dorsey
okam
ellis i think?
and some juniors probably

boisefan
04-28-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm just glad we are saving picks for next year, and using our picks wisely this year.

I can't wait, the second day should be a good one.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-29-2007, 07:38 AM
Mark May is so idiotic for saying the Skins are the losers of the draft. He acts like one pick is going to fix our pass rush problem. First off no one player can do that and his suggestion of Amobi Okoye I am not crazy about think he's overrated. He has a nice motor but is more of a complementary DT not a standout pro bowl clogger that you would expect with the 6th pick. IMO with only 1 pick Landry is a much better pick than Okoye.

skinzzfan25
04-29-2007, 08:12 AM
When you get the best defensive player in the draft, on anybodies board, you don't loose.

boisefan
04-29-2007, 08:50 AM
Watch out for the best safetys in the NFL next year, it was a great pick for the Skins.

boisefan
04-29-2007, 12:23 PM
143rd overall, Dallas Sartz, OLB, Southern California

boisefan
04-29-2007, 01:47 PM
179th overall, H.B. Blades, LB, Pittsburg

boisefan
04-29-2007, 03:10 PM
205th overall, Jordan Palmer, QB, UTEP

critesy
04-29-2007, 03:19 PM
i am liking our draft alot, HB Blades...very nice

also jordan palmer who well...yeah...can groom him and maybe turn out to be a lesser carson and trade him :)

SeanTaylorRIP
04-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Awesome day 2, but no D-line help. boooooo!!!!

21ST
04-29-2007, 05:07 PM
im starting to wonder if we even need D-line help, if we can some how get back to how we were 2 years ago on defense we will be just fine. We just need to go back to the basics. I love all the day 2 picks and i really like the Palmer one. If he would have gotten his INT problem fixed he would have been a first rounder easy. All he needs is work on his techinique

boisefan
04-29-2007, 05:10 PM
NO JARED ZABRANSKY... AHHHHHHHHHHH!

Z would make Palmer look bad anyways.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-29-2007, 05:27 PM
im starting to wonder if we even need D-line help, if we can some how get back to how we were 2 years ago on defense we will be just fine. We just need to go back to the basics. I love all the day 2 picks and i really like the Palmer one. If he would have gotten his INT problem fixed he would have been a first rounder easy. All he needs is work on his techinique

I was pissed off that we took Ecker 1 pick after Ben Patrick went off the board, I was targeting him. Shouman would have been a much better pick he reminds me of Cooley.

boisefan
04-29-2007, 05:36 PM
I was pissed off that we took Ecker 1 pick after Ben Patrick went off the board, I was targeting him. Shouman would have been a much better pick he reminds me of Cooley.

AMEN, Shouman is better than Ecker.

boisefan
04-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Alright, There are our picks.

Any info on UDFA going to the Skins?

boisefan
04-30-2007, 12:00 AM
Jesse Wendt, WR, Wisconsin-Stout (Redskins)
Pete Schmitt, TE,Wisconsin-Whitewater (Try-Out) (Redskins)
Taylor Sele, WR, Boston College (Redskins)

boisefan
04-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Updated with new UDFA signings.

McBain
04-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Ecker..... that's the guy that lost the Michigan - Nebraska game for Michigan right? That guys an idiot, runs past his blockers to get tackled.

boisefan
04-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Ecker..... that's the guy that lost the Michigan - Nebraska game for Michigan right? That guys an idiot, runs past his blockers to get tackled.

Not a good pick IMO.

here are some more official picks...

UDFA signings:

Jesse Wendt, WR, Wisconsin-Stout
Pete Schmitt, TE,Wisconsin-Whitewater
Taylor Sele, WR, Boston College
Terry Caulley RB Connecticut
Daniel Francis CB LSU
Stephon Heyer OL Maryland
Justin Hickman DE UCLA
Sam Hollenbach QB Maryland
Zach Latimer LB Oklahoma
Marcus Mason RB Youngstown State
Deyon Williams WR Virginia

skinzzfan25
05-01-2007, 02:52 PM
i am liking our draft alot, HB Blades...very nice

also jordan palmer who well...yeah...can groom him and maybe turn out to be a lesser carson and trade him :)

Since he looks a lot like Carson, swap them when the Bengals aren't looking :)

Probably Cerattos idea from the beginning.

D-Unit
05-08-2007, 03:12 PM
How did the rookie mini camp go? Any interesting news?

SeanTaylorRIP
05-08-2007, 03:23 PM
How did the rookie mini camp go? Any interesting news?

Probably biggest news was the Derrick Blaylock showed up for a tryout at the rookie mini camp. We signed him last night. He will be the 3rd string RB and Rock will move to backup FB and special teams ace. Landry just looked different than everyone else as he should but first practice he got a little winded and admitted he needs to get in shape again.

D-Unit
05-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Probably biggest news was the Derrick Blaylock showed up for a tryout at the rookie mini camp. We signed him last night. He will be the 3rd string RB and Rock will move to backup FB and special teams ace. Landry just looked different than everyone else as he should but first practice he got a little winded and admitted he needs to get in shape again.
I'll admit I think Landry and Taylor will go down as the best Safety duo ever when all is said and done. There will be some serious wood laid down when we face each other. Just between the safeties, Laron Landry/Sean Taylor and Ken Hamlin/Roy Williams some heads will roll.

D-Unit
05-08-2007, 03:43 PM
What are you guys doing about your Guard situation? Seems like you failed to address that in FA and the Draft.

skinzzfan25
05-08-2007, 04:04 PM
What are you guys doing about your Guard situation? Seems like you failed to address that in FA and the Draft.

Bugel has confidence in Todd Wade. He came in last year when Jansen went down for a game (tackle, but he could easily play guard). He played fabulously.

If Bugel has says he can do it, than I trust him.

We did the right thing by not paying big bucks for some headlight name guard. Dock was good, but not for the price the Bills payed for. He also had a crap load of false starts too, and not the best puller. Wade seems more mobile.

D-Unit
05-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Any improvements in the pass rush from last year? Your pass rush was about as sad as ours was last year.

skinzzfan25
05-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Any improvements in the pass rush from last year? Your pass rush was about as sad as ours was last year.

Nope... Everybody will be healthy though, and i still expect us to look at somebody after June 1st cuts. Carter did look promising at the end of the year though.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Other than Andre Carter it looks pretty awful at DE, Phillip Daniels is always solid but isn't a great pass rusher and Renaldo Wynn, and Demetric Evans are bleh. Hopefully Justin Hickman can pull through.

skinzzfan25
05-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Other than Andre Carter it looks pretty awful at DE, Phillip Daniels is always solid but isn't a great pass rusher and Renaldo Wynn, and Demetric Evans are bleh. Hopefully Justin Hickman can pull through.

The chances that a rookie will come in here and work wonders on our DLine are slim. Either this year we bite the bullet and pray that the line works, or see what's available after June 1st, taking a deal if the price is right.

boisefan
05-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Lets all just face it, Our Dline isn't great, our Dline wasn't addressed properly, and why did we get a QB?

Anyways, we will be the same last year, and unless our corners do good (Smoot and Rogers), than we won't be seeing a big change in our total turnovers.

703SKINS202
05-10-2007, 03:11 AM
id been saying since day 1 in the offseason we gotta take line but hopefully the redskins had balls and didnt trade down for less value, so they took best player avialable.... that being said we are up there for worst d-line in the league, i see us using a lot of different looks in the secondary and blitz schemes to create some much needed pressure

SeanTaylorRIP
05-10-2007, 09:22 PM
News so far only 2 players have not shown up to voluntary OTA's Sean Taylor and Shawn Springs. Sean Taylor kind of pisses me off he is doing it in search of a new contract which he deserves and the skins should secure him longterm, but the fact that the skins haven't heard a word from him or his party kind of irks me. Springs has been in constant contact but is training at home as he is unsure if he will be on the team. In terms of injuries unfortunately by boy from the Citadel Nemo Broughton tore his ACL, he is likely done with the Skins.

boisefan
05-10-2007, 09:37 PM
News so far only 2 players have not shown up to voluntary OTA's Sean Taylor and Shawn Springs. Sean Taylor kind of pisses me off he is doing it in search of a new contract which he deserves and the skins should secure him longterm, but the fact that the skins haven't heard a word from him or his party kind of irks me. Springs has been in constant contact but is training at home as he is unsure if he will be on the team. In terms of injuries unfortunately by boy from the Citadel Nemo Broughton tore his ACL, he is likely done with the Skins.

oh ouch, Nemo is gone for the season for sure...and possibly the skins now.

Sean and Shawn and the Skins better come to terms.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-11-2007, 05:22 PM
While reading the Post article I can understand Sean's anger. It said Ryan Clark was his best friend and rather than giving him a 1.5 mil increase they go and sign Crapchuleta to the highest safety contract in NFL history. I can see how that could piss you off, and now with LaRon Landry getting a huge contract of atleast 15 mil guaranteed Sean wants to restructure his 3 year 18 mil left. I say do it, he is by far your best defensive player he is the most talented player at his position and if you are willing to give Archuleta 30 mil and he was only average when they gave him that contract now he is awful, than Sean deserves every penny of that 30 mil. The skins are just not sending the right signals. And I won't rant again because I started a big rant the second the Skins let go of Ryan Clark but letting him go was the dumbest thing we had done in the past 10 years. Clark made not only everyone on his team better but especially Sean Taylor. Clark was the defensive field general ordering everyone around in a Ray Lewis type of fashion, he was a sparkplug hitter, and gave Sean Taylor that comfortability to make plays. He was the was directing Sean where to go and made Sean better. Sean last year had to decided on his own and had little support which could attribute to his at times mediocre play. We can only pray that LaRon can do what Ryan did. Worst part is that Ryan was a great nice guy, a fan and media favorite and he desired badly to stay with the skins, but the Skins rejected the 4 year 7 mil offer he was asking for which is absurd just because they wanted the big splash in Archuleta. I would have given Ryan 18 mil to stay. Not only would Sean have been an undisputed pro bowler last year but I love LaRon no doubt but we could be drafting Jamaal Anderson and Adam Carriker instead. Skins really effed it up with Ryan Clark.

Canadian_draft_fan
05-11-2007, 07:21 PM
While reading the Post article I can understand Sean's anger. It said Ryan Clark was his best friend and rather than giving him a 1.5 mil increase they go and sign Crapchuleta to the highest safety contract in NFL history. I can see how that could piss you off, and now with LaRon Landry getting a huge contract of atleast 15 mil guaranteed Sean wants to restructure his 3 year 18 mil left. I say do it, he is by far your best defensive player he is the most talented player at his position and if you are willing to give Archuleta 30 mil and he was only average when they gave him that contract now he is awful, than Sean deserves every penny of that 30 mil. The skins are just not sending the right signals. And I won't rant again because I started a big rant the second the Skins let go of Ryan Clark but letting him go was the dumbest thing we had done in the past 10 years. Clark made not only everyone on his team better but especially Sean Taylor. Clark was the defensive field general ordering everyone around in a Ray Lewis type of fashion, he was a sparkplug hitter, and gave Sean Taylor that comfortability to make plays. He was the was directing Sean where to go and made Sean better. Sean last year had to decided on his own and had little support which could attribute to his at times mediocre play. We can only pray that LaRon can do what Ryan did. Worst part is that Ryan was a great nice guy, a fan and media favorite and he desired badly to stay with the skins, but the Skins rejected the 4 year 7 mil offer he was asking for which is absurd just because they wanted the big splash in Archuleta. I would have given Ryan 18 mil to stay. Not only would Sean have been an undisputed pro bowler last year but I love LaRon no doubt but we could be drafting Jamaal Anderson and Adam Carriker instead. Skins really effed it up with Ryan Clark.

True Dat!!!

critesy
05-11-2007, 08:40 PM
i agree...nothing was wrong with ryan clark...he wasnt 'elite' or anything but he kept people together and was a leader on the defense.

boisefan
05-11-2007, 08:43 PM

I agree 100%

SeanTaylorRIP
05-11-2007, 09:31 PM
I was even saying they should have traded for Ryan this offseason, could have had him probably for our 5th rounder as he was available because they have Anthony Smith on the way.

skinzzfan25
05-12-2007, 09:24 AM
I was even saying they should have traded for Ryan this offseason, could have had him probably for our 5th rounder as he was available because they have Anthony Smith on the way.

Blades > Ryan Clark

boisefan
05-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Blades > Ryan Clark

I don't know about that, we shall see...

neko4
05-12-2007, 01:55 PM
I think Hickman is a great pick up. He wont go full timebuthe can disrupt a team on passingdowns. He and Daniels should be swapped out from time to time

SeanTaylorRIP
05-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Blades > Ryan Clark

Dallas Sartz was our 5th rounder we still would get HB Blades. IMO Ryan Clark+Jamaal Anderson slightly> than LaRon Landry, Dallas Sartz.

I think Hickman is a great pick up. He wont go full timebuthe can disrupt a team on passingdowns. He and Daniels should be swapped out from time to time
Hopefully although I expect bigger things from Demetric Evans and even Renaldo Wynn. If Renaldo loved football even half as much as he does eating we would be set.

ironman4579
05-12-2007, 02:12 PM
I have to say, and this is coming from a Michigan fan, when you drafted Tyler Ecker, he instantly became the worst TE in the NFL.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-12-2007, 02:22 PM
I have to say, and this is coming from a Michigan fan, when you drafted Tyler Ecker, he instantly became the worst TE in the NFL.

Pick sucked bad I will agree, especially since the pick before was Ben Patrick and I was so sure we would take him. Ben Patrick and Chris Cooley bad me drool. We had all amazing picks except for this horrible one. TE was a big need but worst part is that we chose him as a blocker but he wasn't even the best blocking TE available. First of all Derek Schouman would have been a much better pick. I see him as a Chris Cooley clone. Joe Newton went undrafted I would rather have him. I'd rather have Clark Harris, Dante Rosario, or more perfectly Gijon Robinson. Anthony Pudewell was the best blocker in the draft and I'd much rather have him than Ecker. Daniel Coats would have been a better pick. I hate the Ecker pick I have watched him throughout college and he sucks and is a scrub.

ironman4579
05-12-2007, 02:33 PM
I think scrub might be giving him too much credit.

critesy
05-12-2007, 03:33 PM
ghetto's got some anger. roar.

McBain
05-12-2007, 03:53 PM
ghetto's got some anger. roar.

Boy howdy!!

Sorry, just thought i should drop in on the team discussion and i didn't have anything useful to say. :(

boisefan
05-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Pick sucked bad I will agree, especially since the pick before was Ben Patrick and I was so sure we would take him. Ben Patrick and Chris Cooley bad me drool. We had all amazing picks except for this horrible one. TE was a big need but worst part is that we chose him as a blocker but he wasn't even the best blocking TE available. First of all Derek Schouman would have been a much better pick. I see him as a Chris Cooley clone. Joe Newton went undrafted I would rather have him. I'd rather have Clark Harris, Dante Rosario, or more perfectly Gijon Robinson. Anthony Pudewell was the best blocker in the draft and I'd much rather have him than Ecker. Daniel Coats would have been a better pick. I hate the Ecker pick I have watched him throughout college and he sucks and is a scrub.

I love Ghetto's posts because they always make sence...

We should make Ghetto in charge of the Skins...but he couldn't trade Betts because I would kill him:D

critesy
05-12-2007, 09:40 PM
pffft, im all for trading betts...we have blaylock who could probably do not as well but good with our line.

703SKINS202
05-13-2007, 02:04 AM
gotta keep betts with portis' shoulder in the past couple years

SeanTaylorRIP
05-13-2007, 07:03 AM
Rock and Blaylock would be serviceable enough if we could get a right deal with Betts for a relatively young DE. Our D-line is just so pathetic.

critesy
05-13-2007, 01:36 PM
hey ghetto did you get that last sig at the redskins.com mb ?

SeanTaylorRIP
05-13-2007, 01:54 PM
hey ghetto did you get that last sig at the redskins.com mb ?

Yeah I got permission, I could have just stole it, but I explained myself.

critesy
05-13-2007, 10:46 PM
haha nice, i saw it there too, it was a sick sig...infact i was going to steal :)

but then i saw you with it like...the next day sooo that went out the window.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-14-2007, 01:48 PM
haha nice, i saw it there too, it was a sick sig...infact i was going to steal :)

but then i saw you with it like...the next day sooo that went out the window.

I'd have no problem if you stole one from that site, it's not this site so who cares. I have stolen sigs from that site before, only reason I got permission for this one is because I used to post there a bit and knew the guy who made this one.

boisefan
05-14-2007, 07:30 PM
What do you think of Jordan Palmer? I really don't see why we picked him, we needed other people a lot more...

How good was he in college?

SeanTaylorRIP
05-15-2007, 04:19 PM
What do you think of Jordan Palmer? I really don't see why we picked him, we needed other people a lot more...

How good was he in college?

Has all the physical tools to be a star but inconsistent and big INT numbers although watching film you see a lot of INT's came from dropped balls and missed catches. I had him as a 4th round grade. I am very high on him, hopefully Hollenbach isn't doing better than him lol.

boisefan
05-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Lots of INT's is never a good thing. How well did he bouce back from them? I know Zabransky (my homer QB) didn't throw that many picks, but when he did he always came back and led the team to a victory.

I hope he does better than Hollenbach as well, considering I have never even heard of him and it sounds like the Redskins even have some homer players in mind.

boisefan
05-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Anyone here anything new about the Skins? I am in Cali right now with a horribly slow computer that cant load any nfl sites. How are our draft picks looking? I heard Blades made an INT and return, but I cant see/read about it =( AHH!

SeanTaylorRIP
05-24-2007, 02:12 PM
If we didn't sign London he would have a shot at starting MLB for us.

boisefan
05-25-2007, 04:51 PM
If we didn't sign London he would have a shot at starting MLB for us.

Awsome! I knew he was ranked a lot higher than he acually went, so I was hoping we got a steal, and if he is that good, looks like we did:)

SeanTaylorRIP
05-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Great Read on London:http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=26379
I think it was a great signing for us, and being an undersized linebacker with amazing success he can help groom HB into a future starter and possible star. I still think London has atleast 2 pro bowl level seasons left in him, and I do believe he will earn his dough.