PDA

View Full Version : Should Al Davis retire?

10-15-2006, 09:19 PM
IMO one of the biggest reasons the raiders are bad is because of Al Davis, he doesnt like drafting QBs in round 1 but thats what they need. It just seems to me that alot of the raiders failure is because of how he manages the team. And his "Committed to Excelence" and "Win at any cost" mottos aren't working anymore.

It also seems like he isn't in very good health, they showed him earlier in the SNF game and he just looks really bad. I also heard that they almost sold the team to someone else because Al Davis was really sick in the off-season but i think that was just a rumor.

draftguru151
10-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Football is the guys life, he owns the team he can do whatever he wants with them. Yes it would be better for the Raiders, but would it be better for Al Davis?

cgf
10-15-2006, 09:24 PM
The raiders suck because their oline is garbage and they don't have a good oline coach to motivate guys like Gallery and Grove who actually have talent but it's been squandered.

10-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Football is the guys life, he owns the team he can do whatever he wants with them. Yes it would be better for the Raiders, but would it be better for Al Davis?probaly not but i just think the guy manages the team worked in the 80s and whatnot but not in todays game.

Windy
10-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Its the o-line thats losing the games. The only time you see flashes of decent play by walter is when the line steps up. Which is usually once or twice a game :?

Dam8610
10-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Owners can't retire. He should sell the team, because he's running it into the ground, but he won't.

smittyjs
10-15-2006, 09:32 PM
The raiders should have hired me when they had a chance............

RCAChainGang
Owners can't retire. He should sell the team, because he's running it into the ground, but he won't.

Agreed.

Kurve
Al will never retire period .....the day a new owner will come into play is when Al passes sad to say but its true. The day raiders get a new owner raiders will win again al is very stubborn he likes certain type of coachs and certain type of players he doesnt like trying new things when he did they won (hiring of Gruden). This team definatly was once a proud organization and in the last few years its ruining its legacy which is very sad.

slightlyaraiderfan
10-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Retire? :roll:

Anyways, where is the Bruce for OROY thread?

10-15-2006, 10:15 PM

Anyways, where is the Bruce for OROY thread?retire/sell w/e same thing.

Basileus777
10-15-2006, 10:21 PM

I believe Darko is on the Trueblood for OROY bandwagon now. :D

I believe Darko is on the Trueblood for OROY bandwagon now. :Dwhere did i say he should win OROY?

Windy

haha :lol:

Iamcanadian
10-15-2006, 10:26 PM
In the past Davis could hire yes HC's because he worked closely with them and was the defacto HC. His health doesn't permit that anymore and his HC's are on their own. However, Al cann ot stop interfering even though he can no longer take an active part in player training.
Yes, he needs to retire from the dat to day decisions of the team and turn the operation over to a competent GM. As long as he is running the ship, the young bright minds coming up in pro football won't work for him. That has become pretty obvious.
It is a sad end to a great football mind and Oakland will continue to pay the price until he steps aside.

10-15-2006, 10:31 PM

haha :lol:hah-hah. :roll:

Paranoidmoonduck
10-15-2006, 10:33 PM
No, the reason the Raiders suck has absolutely nothing to do with Al Davis' refusal to draft QBs in the 1st round. It has all to do with an incompetent coaching staffs and him undermining his head coaches.

As for him not being right in the head and all, his speech for Madden at Canton was awesome and apparently he gave the best speech at meetings designed to deem a new commish.

I thinkAl Davis should sell the team because he has done a lot of things to disrespect the fans, not because of any draft preference.

nobodyinparticular
10-15-2006, 11:28 PM
IMO one of the biggest reasons the raiders are bad is because of Al Davis, he doesnt like drafting QBs in round 1 but thats what they need. It just seems to me that alot of the raiders failure is because of how he manages the team. And his "Committed to Excelence" and "Win at any cost" mottos aren't working anymore.

It also seems like he isn't in very good health, they showed him earlier in the SNF game and he just looks really bad. I also heard that they almost sold the team to someone else because Al Davis was really sick in the off-season but i think that was just a rumor.

Check it out. First round QBs, huh? That's what the Raiders need? How about the fact that over 50% of 1st round QBs are busts?

Tim Couch
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Todd Marinovich
Ryan Leaf
Patrick Ramsey
Cade McNown

And on the cusp with JP Losman, Kyle Boller and dare I say David Carr.

Whereas, we look at some of the better QBs in the NFL and I think they would have something to say about having to be a first rounder to be a good QB in the league in recent years.

Just ask:
Jake Delhomme an undrafted free agent
Matt Hasselbeck a 5th rounder
Marc Bulger a 6th rounder
Tom Brady a 6th rounder
Trent Green an 8th rounder
Kurt Warner an undrafted free agent

Between them, they have 4 of the last 7 Super Bowls and another one of those belongs to Brad Johnson, a former 9th rounder himself. Of the last 7 Super Bowls, only 2 have been won by former 1st round draft picks (and one of those is Trent Dilfer who hardly won that 2001 Super Bowl himself). To top it off, of the 14 participating starting QBs in the Super Bowls since 1999, only 5 of them have been 1st rounders.

Those are Trent Dilfer, Ben Roethlisberger, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair and Kerry Collins. That means 9 of the QBs were non-1st round picks.

That includes:
Jake Delhomme (once)
Tom Brady (three times)
Kurt Warner (twice)
Matt Hasselbeck (once)
Rich Gannon (a 4th rounder, once)
Brad Johnson (once)

I think you really need to re-think that assumption that you have to draft a 1st round QB to be successful. Because isn't the Super Bowl what it's all about, and apparently, 1st rounders don't get there very often, now do they?

Windy
10-15-2006, 11:30 PM
NIP BUMPED A NUGGET. HE THREW A ROCK. NIP OWNS ALL

10-15-2006, 11:37 PM

Check it out. First round QBs, huh? That's what the Raiders need? How about the fact that over 50% of 1st round QBs are busts?

Tim Couch
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Todd Marinovich
Ryan Leaf
Patrick Ramsey
Cade McNown

Whereas, we look at some of the better QBs in the NFL and I think they would have something to say about having to be a first rounder to be a good QB in the league in recent years.

Just ask:
Tom Brady a 6th rounder

Between them, they have 4 of the last 7 Super Bowls and another one of those belongs to Brad Johnson, a former 9th rounder himself. Of the last 7 Super Bowls, only 2 have been won by former 1st round draft picks (and one of those is Trent Dilfer who hardly won that 2001 Super Bowl himself). To top it off, of the 14 participating starting QBs in the Super Bowls since 1999, only 5 of them have been 1st rounders.

Those are Trent Dilfer, Ben Roethlisberger, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair and Kerry Collins. That means 9 of the QBs were non-1st round picks.

That includes:
Jake Delhomme (once)
Tom Brady (three times)
Kurt Warner (twice)
Matt Hasselbeck (once)
Brad Johnson (once)

I think you really need to re-think that assumption that you have to draft a 1st round QB to be successful. Because isn't the Super Bowl what it's all about, and apparently, 1st rounders don't get there very often, now do they?I didnt say that you have to draft a 1st round QB to be successful, yea some have been busts. But look how many have been good.

njx9
10-15-2006, 11:43 PM
stuff about qbs

you know this would be a 5-0 team if you guys had drafted leinart.

nobodyinparticular
10-15-2006, 11:47 PM
stuff about qbs

:cry: STOP IT!!!! NOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

10-15-2006, 11:47 PM
stuff about qbs

you know this would be a 5-0 team if you guys had drafted leinart.and whys that? I never said they would be alot better with a 1st round QB...

njx9
10-15-2006, 11:59 PM
stuff about qbs

:cry: STOP IT!!!! NOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

i had to, the opportunity was golden.

njx9
10-15-2006, 11:59 PM
stuff about qbs

you know this would be a 5-0 team if you guys had drafted leinart.and whys that? I never said they would be alot better with a 1st round QB...

because the thought makes NIP and sarf nuts. it also caused several long diatribes on the mock draft board from raiders fans in the offseason. and i delight in their misery.

10-16-2006, 12:01 AM
stuff about qbs

because the thought makes NIP and sarf nuts. it also caused several long diatribes on the mock draft board from raiders fans in the offseason. and i delight in their misery.oh, i didnt know about that part.

Komp
10-16-2006, 12:17 AM
[quote="Darko"]IMO one of the biggest reasons the raiders are bad is because of Al Davis, he doesnt like drafting QBs in round 1 but thats what they need. It just seems to me that alot of the raiders failure is because of how he manages the team. And his "Committed to Excelence" and "Win at any cost" mottos aren't working anymore.
[quote]

I don't think drafting a QB is the problem, and I think they are going to give Walters a fair shot at earning the starting job for the rest of the season. From what I saw of the Denver game tonight, the OL is improving a bit, but they still horrible. Whenever you have really high turnover rates in your defense and OL it is going to sting and thats what the Raiders are going through right now, and having a rookie QB certainly doesn't help.

However, when your team leads the league in penalties year after year and you go through head coaches like hair styles, something is wrong. You need to have stability for long term success, and Al always seems to want to short track it to the top. For the Raiders to return to where they belong, it is going to take a much different mind frame. I just hope Al doesn't pull the trigger on Shell at the end of the season. I like Shell [altho he is a bit rusty with the new rules, etc] and I like the discipline he is trying to install.

So, after being preachy, yes, the Raiders would be better off without Al. I like the guy, but you need to have patience and stability to build a team back up, qualities that Al doesn't exactly have in spades.

portermvp84
10-16-2006, 12:52 PM
The day Al Daivs retires is the day he dies.

detknowitall
10-16-2006, 09:38 PM
He's seen the Raiders to multiple Superbowls, and owns the team. Owners dont retire, they may hire a Pres. and GM but they dont retire.

The Legend
10-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Short
Simple
Sweet

NO

TheChampIsHere
02-26-2007, 04:39 AM
Anyone who hates on Al Davis = Ignorant.

You can scapegoat him all you want, its not his fault. He hand crafted this great young defense of ours and he stocked the offense with talent but the coaching staff, especially Art Shell and his bed n breakfast OC couldnt do anything with it. Al is a great owner/GM and theres no one I would rather have running my team. As long as his health permits it, he should keep on doing what hes doing. Al Davis is a great man of high character and I have great respect for him and he will go down as an NFL legend.

doingthisinsteadofwork
02-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Al Davis has one 3 SBs.None of which with a QB he drafted in the 1st.

princefielder28
02-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Yes, there comes a point where you just have to say this isn't for me anymore b/c I don't know if I'm going to wake up the next morning; he should hand over the duties to someone else

yourfavestoner
02-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Is there a reason why this thread was dug up out of extinction?

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
02-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Is there a reason why this thread was dug up out of extinction?

...Just like the Raiders QBs.

RaiderNation
02-26-2007, 09:53 PM
hahaha no. football is al davis' life. hes going until he dies or gets ill

locseti
02-26-2007, 11:38 PM

Tim Couch
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Todd Marinovich
Ryan Leaf
Patrick Ramsey
Cade McNown

Just ask:
Tom Brady a 6th rounder

That includes:
Jake Delhomme (once)
Tom Brady (three times)
Kurt Warner (twice)
Matt Hasselbeck (once)
Brad Johnson (once)

I think you really need to re-think that assumption that you have to draft a 1st round QB to be successful. Because isn't the Super Bowl what it's all about, and apparently, 1st rounders don't get there very often, now do they?

NIP Don't Play!

eacantdraft
02-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Anyone who hates on Al Davis = Ignorant.

You can scapegoat him all you want, its not his fault. He hand crafted this great young defense of ours and he stocked the offense with talent but the coaching staff, especially Art Shell and his bed n breakfast OC couldnt do anything with it. Al is a great owner/GM and theres no one I would rather have running my team. As long as his health permits it, he should keep on doing what hes doing. Al Davis is a great man of high character and I have great respect for him and he will go down as an NFL legend.

6 Playoff appearances in 20 years is a great accomplishment. Great job from Al there. Did you know the Denver Broncos have been to 5 Super Bowls in that time?

Or do you think it's still 1985?

eacantdraft
02-27-2007, 07:55 AM

Tim Couch
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Todd Marinovich
Ryan Leaf
Patrick Ramsey
Cade McNown

Just ask:
Tom Brady a 6th rounder

That includes:
Jake Delhomme (once)
Tom Brady (three times)
Kurt Warner (twice)
Matt Hasselbeck (once)
Brad Johnson (once)

Where do I start?

1. JP Losman has not been a bust. He finally put it together last season. He was raw and it take a little while for those QB's to develop.

2. Didn't you forget about the Super Bowl earlier this month where both QB's were first round draft picks. You didn't include them.

3. First round draft picks on the Super Bowl winners have happened more than half the time. 22 or 23 of the Super Bowl winning QB (out of 41 Super Bowls) have been first rounders.

doingthisinsteadofwork
02-27-2007, 10:59 AM
6 Playoff appearances in 20 years is a great accomplishment. Great job from Al there. Did you know the Denver Broncos have been to 5 Super Bowls in that time?

Or do you think it's still 1985?

and yet they only managed to win 2.

eacantdraft
02-27-2007, 12:32 PM
and yet they only managed to win 2.

And that in one playoff run.

Let's count the ways the Raiders have reeked of suckage since 1986.

1. 6 Playoff appearance, 3 of which was during the only successful blip on the radar during the Gannon years. Only Arizona, New Orleans, Detroit, and maybe a couple other teams have reeked of more suckage.

2. Senile Al can never stay with one coach. He has the attention span of a 2 year old. He fired two coaches who went on to win 3 Super Bowls with other teams. He had other coaches who only lasted one season. No team can win consistantly when you change coaches every year or two. Senile Al was so desperate for someone to accept the Raidah's coaching job that he had to scrape the bottom of the barrell to get a college assistant. What's next for senile Al, high school assistant, Pee Wee league head coaches.

3. Bad player accessment. How many 1st round draft picks has the Raiders have blown? How many druggees. Many.

etk
02-27-2007, 08:21 PM
This needs a poll, but the man is so old and senile it's not even funny. He needs to go spend the rest of his life on the beach in the Bahamas or something. I don't even know why he has so much say in their personnel decisions.

HoopsDemon12
03-20-2007, 08:51 PM
i would take him over ralph wilson jr/ anyday!!! hwo can you be senial and still considered junior it shoudl be illiagal haha

yourfavestoner
03-20-2007, 08:53 PM
i would take him over ralph wilson jr/ anyday!!! hwo can you be senial and still considered junior it shoudl be illiagal haha

Why the **** did you dig this thread up? It's dead.

Jonathan_VIlma
03-20-2007, 08:58 PM
People forget that Davis built a championship team only several years ago. In a "what have you done for me lately" league people really forget about that. If Al Davis wasn't so whacky, people wouldn't say a thing about him, because the Raiders have been good before.

Go complain about the Cardinals owners, home of probably , the worst attendance over time in history.

Bengals1690
03-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Al Davis has one 3 SBs.None of which with a QB he drafted in the 1st.

yes. his best QBs were nearly forgotten ones in the free agent pools that thrived in black and silver. I smell a ryan leaf comeback...

jag
03-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Why the **** did you dig this thread up? It's dead.

What a sick sig stoner.

PACKmanN
03-20-2007, 09:24 PM
http://images.nfl.com/images/2001/davis_al112001.jpg
RETIRE?!

RUN!

Stash
03-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Where do I start?

1. JP Losman has not been a bust. He finally put it together last season. He was raw and it take a little while for those QB's to develop.

2. Didn't you forget about the Super Bowl earlier this month where both QB's were first round draft picks. You didn't include them.

3. First round draft picks on the Super Bowl winners have happened more than half the time. 22 or 23 of the Super Bowl winning QB (out of 41 Super Bowls) have been first rounders.

I guess you forgot to look at the date of the post you replied to, it was before the supebowl.

yourfavestoner
03-20-2007, 09:49 PM
What a sick sig stoner.

Why thank you.

OzTitan
03-20-2007, 10:49 PM
I think it was Al who was pretty instrumental in the recent CBA dealings. You can't hate an owner who loves football before business, and the D he has built is promising. If he only had the same luck with his coach hiring decisions. Unfortunately there aren't many coaches that run a good 40 :)

KCJ58
03-20-2007, 11:07 PM
He should but he'll retire when he dead for over 40 years+ at best

TheChampIsHere
03-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Ive argued with a lot of people out there but as a Raider fan unless we pulled a deal for Ozzie Newsome there is no one I would rather have running this organization. Al Davis continues to make shrewd decisions, he does not deserve the blame. He hand-picked the players for our defense, which is one of the best young units in the league and he stockpiled the offense with talent, its not his fault they havent been able to get it done. Al Davis does not deserve the disrespect he gets from people and even some ignorant Raider fans. He has done so much for this franchise and for this league and he deserves the respect of everyone and not a bunch of lame jokes about him being senile from a bunch of idiots who couldn't dream of running a team as well as him.

Windy
03-20-2007, 11:15 PM
everyone is just jealous that our owner wears a white track suit.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/al_davis_a.jpg

doingthisinsteadofwork
03-21-2007, 12:30 AM
you know this thread is old when you see that CGF was one of the first ones to post on it.

omecool20
03-21-2007, 01:46 AM
I truly deeply say that he is born n bred a Raider, but he has to let a good GM run the team and not interfere at all. Pretty soon, we could really be the laughing stock of the NFL. But then, this is Al Davis... so cross yr fingers.

Beautiful Mind
03-21-2007, 02:56 AM
No, Al Davis should die. Seriously, look at him. He wants to see his team go 0-16 before he says bye.

eacantdraft
03-21-2007, 09:32 AM
I truly deeply say that he is born n bred a Raider, but he has to let a good GM run the team and not interfere at all. Pretty soon, we could really be the laughing stock of the NFL. But then, this is Al Davis... so cross yr fingers.

6 playoff seasons in 20 years, scraping the bottom of the barrow for coaches (college assistants), draft busts is hardly the definition of "The Mark of Excellence".

portermvp84
03-21-2007, 09:57 AM
I swear this topic comes up every off season, the day Al Davis retires is the day he dies which shouldn't be too long.

NIN1984
03-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Al Davis is never going to die.

eacantdraft
03-22-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm sure Broncos, Chiefs, Chargers fans don't want Al Davis to retire.

premo11
03-23-2007, 01:51 PM
all davis more or less has damned his team by not letting the coach make any decisions. thats why no one wants the job

portermvp84
03-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Ever since the day he wouldn't let mike shanahan make his own descions we have been f*****. The coach needs to make descions for the team to sucessed, not the owner.

Forenci
03-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Rumor has it this will be the next owner of the Raiders:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/CloudElf/et2.jpg

Space Ghost
03-23-2007, 07:40 PM
No, but he should give up some of the control, well, more like a lot of it.

Shiver
03-23-2007, 08:08 PM
all davis more or less has damned his team by not letting the coach make any decisions. thats why no one wants the job

I agree. Al Davis always goes after the talented, up and coming coaching prospects. It's too bad none of them actually wanted to go to Oakland. Instead, Payton went to New Orleans, Whisenhunt to Arizona, Petrino to Atlanta, etcetera.

NIN1984
03-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Al Davis is not want Whisenhunt.

Shiver
03-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Didn't they interview him in '05, only to be turned down?

draftguru151
03-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Didn't they interview him in '05, only to be turned down?

Speculation became legitimate interest Monday when Ken Whisenhunt went on the market, and the Oakland Raiders, without a head coach for the last 34 days, began making plans for a formal interview with the offensive coordinator of the newly-crowned Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20060207/ai_n16046302

Indeed they did.

Shiver
03-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Me: 1
Nin: 0

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

draftguru151
03-23-2007, 08:25 PM
DG- one assist.

I'm like Steve Nash.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Whisenhunt apparently went to Oakland with the intent of turning them down, so I don't think the interview lasted very long. But, yes, they did pursue the guy.

NIN1984
03-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Wiz got an Interview that's all, Al Davis never offered the job to him like he did Payton and Petrino.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Wiz got an Interview that's all, Al Davis never offered the job to him like he did Payton and Petrino.

Like I posted above, I'm pretty sure that's because Whisenhunt told him flat out that he was going to stay with the Steelers.

jackalope
03-23-2007, 09:38 PM
I got really confused when i started reading this. why was it dug up? i was like: when did NIP come back.

Bengals1690
03-23-2007, 10:23 PM
He has built an outstanding D but his offensive philosophy is behind the time.

doingthisinsteadofwork
03-23-2007, 10:47 PM
how is his offense philosophy behind the time.He hired Lane Kiffen former OC of USC.Hes letting Kiffen hire his own staff.

portermvp84
03-24-2007, 11:25 AM
He's finally making the coach make his own desions.