PDA

View Full Version : Darren McFadden?

DMWSackMachine
04-29-2007, 02:20 AM
Alright, I'm sure that I'm not the only one to put two and two together here. What are the chances that Jerry put together today's future 1st round trade for McFadden from Arkansas. Obviously, there are too many connections to dismiss it. First, they share the same alma mater, and Jerry is big into taking care of "his guys". Second, McFadden is the perfect type of "do everything" RB that Jerry covets. Third, Jerry has been talking of "bundling up" shamelessly the last two weeks, and there isn't anything more worth bundling up for than a future franchise RB. Fourth, Julius is going into the last year of his contract. Fifth....

You get the idea. So....is that what we should expect?

I sure as hell hope so.

artisfeces
04-29-2007, 02:50 AM
please please let us get mcfadden...I will cream my pants if we do. Too bad we have to wait 364 more days to find out.

Achilles33
04-29-2007, 07:23 AM
Hey, don't steal my idea. :)

Paul
04-29-2007, 08:39 AM
Also if Romo doesn't pan out, we are position to get a guy like Brian Brohm. Just throwing that out there. Not saying that I don't like Romo or anything, I am wishing he has another pro bowl season. I'm just saying just in case.

Texico From Mexico
04-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Romo will not have a pro bowl season and will be proven a fraud that he is. He is NOT a franchise QB and any blind man can see this...just go back and roll tape from last year. This team will regret this action I fear. If Quinn turns out to be the next Marino, Elway or that caliber of player we will have to endure the "why did you pass up a blue chip QB like that. The pick next year will NOT be in the top 5 in fact I would bet 10-15 range...........

Here is to hoping we can get a franchise QB with both those picks next year......but I am doubting it.

PoopSandwich
04-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Browns are going 19-0 baby!

;)

Give Jerry Jones a hug for me we finally replaced Charlie got Fryed.

Paul
04-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Browns are going 0-16 baby!

;)

Give Jerry Jones a hug for me we finally replaced Charlie got Fryed.

There you go. Have fun next year in that division with a rookie QB and LT.

PoopSandwich
04-29-2007, 08:56 AM

Better than waiting another year to get the rookie QB, and it's not like Frye did any better.

Paul
04-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Better than waiting another year to get the rookie QB, and it's not like Frye did any better.

Oh I agree, but you guys are going to struggle big time.

PoopSandwich
04-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Oh I agree, but you guys are going to struggle big time.

I bet you guys are praying we go 0-16 ;)

I think that were better off this year with a rookie left tackle and a rookie QB (if they both start) than with Frye at QB and Shaffer at left tackle (He will be RT now THANK GOD)

Honestly, I don't think you can play any crappier at those 2 positions than we played last year, but we can find out.

thule
04-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Jerry was asked in his interview about this...he laughed and said what school does he play for again :P I got a good chuckle.

Staubach12
04-29-2007, 09:41 AM
I could see it, but I'd rather us just resign Julius...

Dcboys94
04-29-2007, 06:05 PM
y resign an avg. back when you could get mcfadden. i dont think he gets resigned anyway.

Achilles33
04-29-2007, 06:26 PM
If our LT situation is still unsolved and Flo leaves via FA, Sam Baker or Jake Long could be serious possibilities.

tbraton
04-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Also if Romo doesn't pan out, we are position to get a guy like Brian Brohm. Just throwing that out there. Not saying that I don't like Romo or anything, I am wishing he has another pro bowl season. I'm just saying just in case.

Even with the Browns pick there won't be enough ammo to trade up and get McFadden or Brohm.......

tbraton
04-30-2007, 11:03 AM

Browns didn't have a QB or LT last year so they're improved......

JoeMontainya
04-30-2007, 11:21 AM
If the Cowboys draft McFadden, then they will be the best team in NFL history not to win a single playoff game in over a decade.

JoeMontainya
04-30-2007, 11:22 AM
I bet you guys are praying we go 0-16 ;)

I think that were better off this year with a rookie left tackle and a rookie QB (if they both start) than with Frye at QB and Shaffer at left tackle (He will be RT now THANK GOD)

Honestly, I don't think you can play any crappier at those 2 positions than we played last year, but we can find out.

Shaffer played crappy? News to me, he only gave up 3.5 sacks and dominated in run blocking.

reigle9
04-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Even with the Browns pick there won't be enough ammo to trade up and get McFadden or Brohm.......

I don't even think we'll have to trade up. The Browns should have a high enough pick on their own.

robert_in_bigd
04-30-2007, 01:13 PM
James Stewart is the best Running Back in the country.

He went to absolutely the wrong program wheras McFadden went to the right one.

Stewart is bigger, faster, has better vision, better balance and better speed. 4.3 40 at 240 lbs.

The guy is a freak of nature as a tailback.

robert_in_bigd
04-30-2007, 01:24 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Stewart

Just take a read of this kid.

Achilles33
04-30-2007, 01:45 PM
We know who he is. Yes he is good.

Oh and McFadden or Stewart won't go #1, they are RBs. THe Browns will give us a high enough pick to get one of them. ANd if not, we can just trade up with our own first round pick.

Modano
04-30-2007, 01:55 PM
James Stewart is the best Running Back in the country.

Stewart is bigger, faster, has better vision, better balance and better speed. 4.3 40 at 240 lbs.

I love Stewart, but McFaddenn is amazing. McFadden > Peterson.

Achilles33
04-30-2007, 02:04 PM
As a RB, McFadden> Peterson> Bush.

robert_in_bigd
04-30-2007, 02:05 PM
McFadden is stronger than Peterson but slower. I have seen him play more than Stewart. I love him .. after Stewart.

I just think Stewart is like nothing we have seen since Bo .... physically speaking. Let us see how he plays 07.

Darren to me looks like LJ. Gotta luv that. Durable and big.

Achilles33
04-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Are you serious? McFadden is faster than them all. He runs a 4.30. He had a toe injury all last season, and he still had like 5 70 yard TDs. Did you see his 80 TD run against LSU last year? They are the best, and fasted defense in the nation, and he smoked them, and he wasn't even at full speed. I would be fine with either McFadden or Stewart, but get your facts straight, McFadden is faster than Peterson.

duckseason
04-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Jonathan Stewart is the best Running Back in the country.

Yeah, Stewart is a beast. But I think it's safe to say that JJ will opt for Mcfadden if we choose to go that route. Mcfadden will likely have a much more productive season, and will likely be viewed by many as the top prospect throughout the season. Also, he is more likely to come out early. Stewart seems like the type of kid who will stay in school. I would expect to see Stewart as the top RB taken in '09. I anticipate a combine showing that will have teams salivating. I really hope he can show more consistency on the field though. Especially against the better defenses. He will need to show a lot more than he has in order to be considered worthy of a top 5 pick.

You may be right about him choosing the wrong school. We'll see. Seems as though our coaching staff has been taking his talents for granted. We should be building our scheme around our players, but we seem to do the opposite. Of course, Chip Kelly will be our 3rd OC in as many years, so that's part of it. But over the last few years, we seem to be more concerned with looking flashy than actually putting together a sound game plan. This is the most talented team I've ever seen in Eugene, but you wouldn't know it by watching them. I miss the raw grittiness of those over-achieving teams we had in the past.

robert_in_bigd
04-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Are you serious? McFadden is faster than them all. He runs a 4.30. He had a toe injury all last season, and he still had like 5 70 yard TDs. Did you see his 80 TD run against LSU last year? They are the best, and fasted defense in the nation, and he smoked them, and he wasn't even at full speed. I would be fine with either McFadden or Stewart, but get your facts straight, McFadden is faster than Peterson.

Stewart was posted 4.34 at 235 lbs. Neither McFadden nor Peterson clocked that fast.

Either way, no matter. You love McFadden and I love Stewart. Who cares because Slaton maybe faster than all of them.

robert_in_bigd
04-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Yeah, Stewart is a beast. But I think it's safe to say that JJ will opt for Mcfadden if we choose to go that route. Mcfadden will likely have a much more productive season, and will likely be viewed by many as the top prospect throughout the season. Also, he is more likely to come out early. Stewart seems like the type of kid who will stay in school. I would expect to see Stewart as the top RB taken in '09. I anticipate a combine showing that will have teams salivating. I really hope he can show more consistency on the field though. Especially against the better defenses. He will need to show a lot more than he has in order to be considered worthy of a top 5 pick.

You may be right about him choosing the wrong school. We'll see. Seems as though our coaching staff has been taking his talents for granted. We should be building our scheme around our players, but we seem to do the opposite. Of course, Chip Kelly will be our 3rd OC in as many years, so that's part of it. But over the last few years, we seem to be more concerned with looking flashy than actually putting together a sound game plan. This is the most talented team I've ever seen in Eugene, but you wouldn't know it by watching them. I miss the raw grittiness of those over-achieving teams we had in the past.

McFadden is a great RB and given he plays in the SEC will get tons of pub. Who Jerry picks is clear. The home town boy I assume.

Either way, can't go wrong with McFadden but I think a healthy Stweart is something we have never seen in the NFL. He has Barry Sanders feet and speed with Larry Johnson power.

Achilles33
04-30-2007, 03:36 PM
McFadden is faster, and bigger, Stewart is more compact. I love both of them, but McFadden is faster and bigger, you can't get around that. Just look at some of McFadden's runs, on a bad toe. He will be even faster this year. He is definitly in the the 4.3 range.

duckseason
04-30-2007, 03:57 PM
McFadden is faster, and bigger, Stewart is more compact. I love both of them, but McFadden is faster and bigger, you can't get around that. Just look at some of McFadden's runs, on a bad toe. He will be even faster this year. He is definitly in the the 4.3 range.

Well, who's faster is debatable. I think the difference is marginal either way. But I think you might like to know that Stewart is about 230 lbs. Are you suggesting that a guy who appears to be somewhere between 205-210 is actually 235-240? Because Mcfadden certainly doesn't appear to be 240.

duckseason
04-30-2007, 04:23 PM
McFadden is a great RB and given he plays in the SEC will get tons of pub. Who Jerry picks is clear. The home town boy I assume.

Either way, can't go wrong with McFadden but I think a healthy Stweart is something we have never seen in the NFL. He has Barry Sanders feet and speed with Larry Johnson power.
Yeah, not quite sure I'd make those comparisons, but I see what you're saying. His size/speed/athleticism/strength combo is something we don't see often. It's reminiscent of Bo Jackson, but with less toughness, a bit less speed, and a bit more agility. Anyway, the other thing I forgot to bring up in my other post is his nagging injuries. Not quite sure how much of an effect his ankles in particular affected his play last year, but to hear him talk, it was quite significant. So here's to hoping he can stay healthy. If he can keep the kind of pace he set early last season, then he might just be amid trophy talk. Despite Jeremiah Johnson's presence.

But yeah, I'm not sure his name has a place in this thread. I think Mcfadden would be Jerry's target if we go that route. Barring an unforeseen catastrophe, that is. And I would put money on the table saying that Stewart stays for his senior year.

Achilles33
04-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Stewart is more compact, and bigger overall. I meant McFadden was taller. ANd he has the frame to add a lot more, and his #1 goal this off-season was to add some weight. We will see what he is this year.

duckseason
04-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Stewart is more compact, and bigger overall. I meant McFadden was taller. ANd he has the frame to add a lot more, and his #1 goal this off-season was to add some weight. We will see what he is this year.

So in other words, Stewart has the prototypical NFL RB body type, while McFadden is hoping to fill out a bit while still maintaining his current speed. Even if McFadden does fill out, your original comment is completely false, and him being taller is not a plus.

BaLLiN
04-30-2007, 04:41 PM
I think Slaton or Stewart would be better picks for your team, McFadden is a great playmaker, but I see too much similarities between him and Barber, depending on who you trade, you most definately could get high enough to draft one of them. And I'm pretty certain that Slaton is faster than the other two.

Paul
04-30-2007, 04:44 PM
LOL WTH, watch JJ go out and get 1500yds and 15td's. I mean it's only April, we've made improvements to the O-line, let's just see what he does before we start slobbering over McFadden and Stewart.

PoopSandwich
04-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Well if you guys do get McFadden by packaging your first and our first for the #1 pick then good for you guys, but in our position next year we would be picking a franchise QB and I like Quinn more than anyone coming out in that draft.

I'm friends with a fan of the Cowboys and I like your team 2nd most in the NFC behind the Saints, but I hope to god we don't play so bad that you can draft someone that good :)

Paul
04-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Well if you guys do get McFadden by packaging your first and our first for the #1 pick then good for you guys, but in our position next year we would be picking a franchise QB and I like Quinn more than anyone coming out in that draft.

I'm friends with a fan of the Cowboys and I like your team 2nd most in the NFC behind the Saints, but I hope to god we don't play so bad that you can draft someone that good :)

Agreed, if you guys wouldn't made the trade, and Frye and or Anderson struggled, you'll would probably drafted a QB with that pick anyways. Might as well get your Franchise QB now. It was a good move by both parts IMO.

Achilles33
04-30-2007, 04:54 PM
The Browns are cursed. You will give us a top 10 pick, probably top 5. Thank you, come again. You will have a rookie LT and a rookie QB, have fun.

Achilles33
04-30-2007, 04:56 PM
So in other words, Stewart has the prototypical NFL RB body type, while McFadden is hoping to fill out a bit while still maintaining his current speed. Even if McFadden does fill out, your original comment is completely false, and him being taller is not a plus.

Stewart is already maxed out. McFadden has way more potential. McFadden wasn't even 100% last year. Don't get me wrong, I like them both, but I think McFadden is better. He is faster, taller, has better moves, is more versatile, and has the frame to add a lot of weight if need be.

Paul
04-30-2007, 05:03 PM
How is a taller RB better?

Dcboys94
04-30-2007, 05:03 PM
mcfadden is consensus #1. stewart is a real good back, but mcfadden produces more with less touches, in a harder conference even when he was injured. mcfadden is the next LT, and Stewart Jamal Lewis(When he was good)...mcfadden would make more sense though i like both backs

duckseason
04-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Stewart is already maxed out. McFadden has way more potential. McFadden wasn't even 100% last year. Don't get me wrong, I like them both, but I think McFadden is better. He is faster, taller, has better moves, is more versatile, and has the frame to add a lot of weight if need be.
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "maxed out." If you mean that he has already grown into a stud, then yes, he has indeed. And again, McFadden's height is not an advantage. And I'm not sure that he is faster. I think the difference either way is very minimal. You also need to wonder whether or not McFadden would be as fast as he is now if he were 230 lbs. I seriously doubt that is even possible. So, Stewart is likely to be the faster player if McFadden puts on a substantial amount of weight.

Oh, and I'd like to remind you that Stewart played with nagging injuries all season. He was hurt in the opener. So he was far from 100% as well.

Honestly, I'm not sure which back I like more at this point. I need to see both guys fully healthy for a stretch. I'm just saying that Stewart surely has the more prototypical physical attributes and body type. That fact is obvious, but is not the only factor to consider.

Dcboys94
04-30-2007, 05:34 PM
according to scout.com coming out stewart ran a 4.52, no way he is a 4.3 guy, i'll bet anything he isnt...rumors say 4.3, at best i'd say he runs a 4.5, mcfadden on the other hand ran a 4.4. i think they both are good, but mcfadden has more on the field game speed.

LSUALUM99
04-30-2007, 05:35 PM
I will be uspet is we have to trade both #1's to get McFadden. I'd rather keep both of them and get a WR and a CB in the first round.

JJ and MBIII are fine.

Dcboys94
04-30-2007, 05:38 PM
mcfadden is a once every 5 year type guy. we need some young explosion on our O. we could proly stay and get him.

Achilles33
04-30-2007, 05:39 PM
JJ is gone next season LSU. And we won't take a CB next year. We don't need CBs. Pressure makes CBs unless you are special. We already have a special one in Newman. We will take a RB and a WR. Brown is a good developmental guy at CB. Ou pressure is going to make our CBs look like gods. One in the 2nd or 3rd next year will be fine, but not the 1st. We need a franchise RB.

I like McFadden, you like Stewart. Agree to disagree.

D-Unit
04-30-2007, 05:42 PM
mcfadden is a once every 5 year type guy. we need some young explosion on our O. we could proly stay and get him.
Is McFadden even a complete back? Can he catch and block? I'm not sold just yet.

Achilles33
04-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Marion can catch and block. McFadden did have 2 recieving TD's last year.

D-Unit
04-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Marion can catch and block. McFadden did have 2 recieving TD's last year.
Just 2? He doesn't sound that special.

Give me Jake Long with our first pick and Frank Okam with our second. I'll be a happy man.

Paul
04-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Just 2? He doesn't sound that special.

Give me Jake Long with our first pick and Frank Okam with our second. I'll be a happy man.

No Love for Doug Free, D?

Achilles33
04-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Between Free, Martnen, and McQuistan, we have out LT of the future. Trust me, Jerry won't draft a LT inthe first round after 2 solid picks in this years draft. He doesn't like drafting O-lineman high. He said in the draft wrap-up press conference they are now drafting o-lineman to put themselves in better position on the o-line than they have been in previous years. I wouldn't be against it, but I don't think Jerry will do it. It is McFadden, I am calling it right now.

JonIH87
04-30-2007, 06:03 PM
It's kind of nice to be in this position....
I really like Jonathan Stewart, but I can't say I'd shed a tear if we picked up McFadden.
lol.
I really like Adarius Bowman out of Oklahoma State, make him twice a Cowboy.
He really reminds me a lot of Dwayne Bowe, who I really really wanted.

duckseason
04-30-2007, 06:04 PM
I will be uspet is we have to trade both #1's to get McFadden. I'd rather keep both of them and get a WR and a CB in the first round.

JJ and MBIII are fine.
I agree. That would be wasteful and unnecessary imo. We will most likely need a WR for sure, unless we sign a FA or some of our projects step up big time and prove to be special. And the same goes for CB. Glenn can't play forever, and if a young guy doesn't step up, then there will be a definite need for a rarer talent. I'd love to have a guy like McFadden on our team, but not at such a high price. After all, we don't wear orange helmets, do we? I personally believe that RB's are a dime a dozen, and given the nature of the position, it's usually not a great idea to invest too heavily in one guy. Especially considering the rarity of talent at other key positions. If we can't get Mcfadden with just our Browns pick, then I would be happy to continue with the setup we have now. Whether that includes JJ or not. There will be plenty of other RB's in the draft at a much more reasonable price.

duckseason
04-30-2007, 06:05 PM

I think you're getting a bit carried away now. Let's not crown his ass just yet.

D-Unit
04-30-2007, 06:06 PM
No Love for Doug Free, D?
Sure, but he can also play Guard. If the value is there for Jared Gaither, Jake Long or Sam Baker... you have to do it.

Achilles33
04-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Free is a tackle. He is very athletic. His knock is strength. Once he fixes that in an NFL off-season, dominance. :)

kwilk103
04-30-2007, 06:19 PM
jerry talked about several wow players this year.....i think that is who he is goin for in 08

i think it we'll be a rb and wr

i think it will be 2 out of mcfadden, jackson, slaton, manningham, sweed, and a couple of other playmakers

is stewart more hype than production as of now?

robert_in_bigd
04-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Stewart is not over hyped. Where do you see folks talking Stewart for Heisman?

pocketaces
04-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Hopefully Romo will be a stud this year and we'll have a top 3 pick where somebody trades up for a Q.B. in next years draft. We trade down, get a boatload and control the entire draft.

robert_in_bigd
04-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Hopefully Romo will be a stud this year and we'll have a top 3 pick where somebody trades up for a Q.B. in next years draft. We trade down, get a boatload and control the entire draft.

That is a very interesting thought for next year. Anyone hear what is doing with Walter Thomas?

D-Unit
04-30-2007, 08:10 PM
jerry talked about several wow players this year.....i think that is who he is goin for in 08

i think it we'll be a rb and wr

i think it will be 2 out of mcfadden, jackson, slaton, manningham, sweed, and a couple of other playmakers

is stewart more hype than production as of now?
Jerry also talked about how they have changed the way they look at Offensive Lineman in the draft and how things are different from before.

Don't invest too much in what was said in '07 to judge what will happen in '08. Would you ever dream we'd pass on Quinn at 22 if someone told you it was going to be possible in '06?

Exactly.

Achilles33
04-30-2007, 08:36 PM
According to the Blitz, they said Jerry Jones said Isaiah Stanback can be a #1 or #2 WR...wow.

Achilles33
04-30-2007, 08:50 PM
All of the guys on the Ranch Report are already preaching for Darren McFadden. Oh man I am loving it.

McFadden baby. I am so excited.

Dcboys94
04-30-2007, 09:42 PM
I think you're getting a bit carried away now. Let's not crown his ass just yet.

listen Stewart is a great prospect, i would jump for joy if we got him don't get me wrong. but mcfadden catches like a WR,Throws in fake plays, runs like a beast with his 4.3 forty. i think he is a much better prospect than bush, with more ability as a RB. If cleveland is decent than i think we take Slaton or Stewart. If they stink Jerry will be drooling for Mcfadden.

duckseason
04-30-2007, 09:58 PM
listen Stewart is a great prospect, i would jump for joy if we got him don't get me wrong. but mcfadden catches like a WR,Throws in fake plays, runs like a beast with his 4.3 forty. i think he is a much better prospect than bush, with more ability as a RB. If cleveland is decent than i think we take Slaton or Stewart. If they stink Jerry will be drooling for Mcfadden.

Yeah, if you read my posts, you'll see that I have yet to decide who I like better between McFadden and Stewart. And I already stated that if we were to go the RB route in next years draft, that McFadden would be the likely target. IMO, Stewart won't even be available until '09 anyway.

The purpose of the post that you quoted was to point out how ridiculous it sounds to start labeling Mcfadden a once in 5 years type guy. I think that's going a bit too far at this point. Not bashing him at all. But let's keep things in perspective here.

Modano
05-01-2007, 02:17 AM
The purpose of the post that you quoted was to point out how ridiculous it sounds to start labeling Mcfadden a once in 5 years type guy. I think that's going a bit too far at this point. Not bashing him at all. But let's keep things in perspective here.

He shows that type of talent which makes fans salivating on him. You're right, we need to wait this season and see how good he really is. He was third in Heismann voting this past year (I remember Bush being 5 in his sophomore year or something like that).
The only thing that makes me think that he will be a better prospect than Bush is because he plays in the SEC and he's way more powerful than Bush.

robert_in_bigd
05-01-2007, 08:36 AM
According to the Blitz, they said Jerry Jones said Isaiah Stanback can be a #1 or #2 WR...wow.

Jerry Jones is a serial over-hyper of talent he falls in love with. I still remember Robert Jones as Mike Singletary. Again, another example of why he is an idiot as a GM.

robert_in_bigd
05-01-2007, 08:38 AM
All of the guys on the Ranch Report are already preaching for Darren McFadden. Oh man I am loving it.

McFadden baby. I am so excited.

Well, need to rev up the hype machine to keep folks excited in May June July.

DMWSackMachine
05-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah, if you read my posts, you'll see that I have yet to decide who I like better between McFadden and Stewart. And I already stated that if we were to go the RB route in next years draft, that McFadden would be the likely target. IMO, Stewart won't even be available until '09 anyway.

lol, dude I've read every single one of your posts, and it has generally gone like this "I love McFadden, and he is great. In fact, I don't know who I like better, but Stewart is faster, stronger, bigger, has better hands, is a better blocker, runs better routes, is tougher, has the more prototypical NFL body, and is better, but, um, that's not all that counts. Besides, he will probably stay in school."

You'll have to forgive me, but--from an objective standpoint--it looks as if your inner homer is peeking its head out while you futilely try to stomp it back down. I'm just sayin'.

DMWSackMachine
05-01-2007, 08:57 PM
We all know a lot can change in the course of a full season, and McFadden might not even be a consensus top 10 guy, but I just think that is where Dr. Jones is headed in his mind. The immediate thing that comes to mind is a thread comparing Adrian Peterson to Marshawn Lynch during the offseason last year. Most everyone had Lynch going in the top 10, without a doubt, and there was a large contingent of people that thought he was better than AD. Not only that, but most people had AD as a lock for a top 5 pick. Think about it, Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, and Cedric Benson were all picked higher than Peterson, and most would agree that Adrian is by far the best of the group.

So, you never know. However, at the present time, I'm pretty sure that the person who counts the most is thinking two things:

1) We need a dynamic, game changing back who we can go into every game knowing that he will make an impact.
2) Darren McFadden looks like just such a back, and he goes to my alma mater.

What happens between now and then is anybody's guess. And the way that OUR season develops will have every bit as much of an impact on whether or not we take him as the way that he plays and develops. I think everyone would agree that we would rather have Julius emerge and fulfill all of his promise, while becoming that dynamic force that we've seen glimpses of, than to have to spend a top 5 or 10 pick on his replacement. THAT would be the best thing, by a country mile.

I would rather have a shot at a dominant interior force like Okam, a unstoppable WR, a premier LT or another Terrence Newman like CB than have to spend a premium pick on a running back. But then, it would be mighty nice to have a bell cow in the backfield like the good ol' days. *sigh*

D-Unit
05-01-2007, 09:17 PM
One guy I'm really high on is LT prospect Jared Gaither. I think he fits the Cowboys OL Prototype of the 90's to a T. Jake Long and Sam Baker are also options, but I think Long might be better suited for RT in the NFL. He's a talent though, no doubt.

If we had a top 10 pick and a top 25 pick, I would take Gaither/Long with the first pick and big guy like Okam with the other. The debate is whether Okam can be a 3-4 NT. I have my doubts.

I know the popular choice will be a guy like McFadden, who I would also love, but next year's RB class will be DEEEEEEEEP.

Paul
05-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Imma throw the name Kenny Phillips out there.

da11a5c0wb0y5
05-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Romo will not have a pro bowl season and will be proven a fraud that he is. He is NOT a franchise QB and any blind man can see this...just go back and roll tape from last year. This team will regret this action I fear. If Quinn turns out to be the next Marino, Elway or that caliber of player we will have to endure the "why did you pass up a blue chip QB like that. The pick next year will NOT be in the top 5 in fact I would bet 10-15 range...........

Here is to hoping we can get a franchise QB with both those picks next year......but I am doubting it.

dude TexMex...why are u so negative? Last year youu were whining as to why we shoudn't draft who we did and u wanted Lendale White all along...

If Lendale is so good why did the Titans draft a RB so early in thy draft?

Tony **** is gunna be great

duckseason
05-01-2007, 09:51 PM
lol, dude I've read every single one of your posts, and it has generally gone like this "I love McFadden, and he is great. In fact, I don't know who I like better, but Stewart is faster, stronger, bigger, has better hands, is a better blocker, runs better routes, is tougher, has the more prototypical NFL body, and is better, but, um, that's not all that counts. Besides, he will probably stay in school."

You'll have to forgive me, but--from an objective standpoint--it looks as if your inner homer is peeking its head out while you futilely try to stomp it back down. I'm just sayin'.
Well, I generally agree with most everything you say on this board, DMW. But you're definitely talking out of your ass right now. Please, if you will, quote the post where I said that Stewart was faster, had better hands, was a better blocker, runs better routes, or is tougher. In fact, I have questioned Stewart's toughness on multiple occasions on this board. I honestly have no idea who I like better at this point. I need to see more of them both as fully healthy backs.

In reality, robertinbigd was the first to bring up Stewart's name, and I did my best to temper his enthusiasm with a bit of realism. I brought up Stewart's superior size when somebody (the more fitting target for your comments above) made the incredibly homerific (and ignorant) statement that McFadden was bigger than Stewart. He said that everything about McFadden was better. So of course I felt the need to serve up another dose of reality. Reminding him that Stewart is 230 lbs, and that the speed difference between the 2 backs is minimal.

Again, Stewart's name really has no place in this thread because 1) There is a good chance he will stay in school, and 2) He would be an unlikely target for us considering our ties to McFadden. Not once did I say that Stewart was the superior back, and I will withhold judgment until I've seen more from both. Put a gun to my head, and I would probably lean towards McFadden at this point, as he has shown much more against big time defenses. I like Stewart's measurables a lot more, but I really like McFadden's intangibles (and he has great measurables as well.) There is no question in my mind that McFadden is the more highly regarded back at this point, and I never said anything to the contrary. It's simply too early to side with one or the other. That fact seems obvious to me. And I fail to see what's so homerific about that, or anything else I've said on the subject. How you came away from my posts with that impression baffles me.

Jonathan Stewart is the best Running Back in the country.

WTF kind of homer sits there and questions whether or not their best player would've been better off at a different school? You've actually got me pretty pissed about the whole thing because I tried my best to be a voice of reason on the subject. All tryin to make me sound like a dumbass homer. "umm.....Stewart is the greatest OMG" Save those comments for those who deserve it.

Dcboys94
05-01-2007, 11:00 PM
i think we go after mcfadden, not to say we need him or we gotta have him but he is likely to be atop our board this time next year. jerry seems to be done w/ julius yet think MB3 aint the answer, we will target him i believe.

DMWSackMachine
05-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Well, I generally agree with most everything you say on this board, DMW. But you're definitely talking out of your ass right now. Please, if you will, quote the post where I said that Stewart was faster, had better hands, was a better blocker, runs better routes, or is tougher. In fact, I have questioned Stewart's toughness on multiple occasions on this board. I honestly have no idea who I like better at this point. I need to see more of them both as fully healthy backs.

In reality, robertinbigd was the first to bring up Stewart's name, and I did my best to temper his enthusiasm with a bit of realism. I brought up Stewart's superior size when somebody (the more fitting target for your comments above) made the incredibly homerific (and ignorant) statement that McFadden was bigger than Stewart. He said that everything about McFadden was better. So of course I felt the need to serve up another dose of reality. Reminding him that Stewart is 230 lbs, and that the speed difference between the 2 backs is minimal.

Again, Stewart's name really has no place in this thread because 1) There is a good chance he will stay in school, and 2) He would be an unlikely target for us considering our ties to McFadden. Not once did I say that Stewart was the superior back, and I will withhold judgment until I've seen more from both. Put a gun to my head, and I would probably lean towards McFadden at this point, as he has shown much more against big time defenses. I like Stewart's measurables a lot more, but I really like McFadden's intangibles (and he has great measurables as well.) There is no question in my mind that McFadden is the more highly regarded back at this point, and I never said anything to the contrary. It's simply too early to side with one or the other. That fact seems obvious to me. And I fail to see what's so homerific about that, or anything else I've said on the subject. How you came away from my posts with that impression baffles me.

WTF kind of homer sits there and questions whether or not their best player would've been better off at a different school? You've actually got me pretty pissed about the whole thing because I tried my best to be a voice of reason on the subject. All tryin to make me sound like a dumbass homer. "umm.....Stewart is the greatest OMG" Save those comments for those who deserve it.

lol, dude calm down. I was not speaking in a literal sense, which is how you took me. What I'm saying is that the general tone of your input has been to superficially be "torn" over who's better between the two, while siding with Stewart on basically every specific debate. As in, "Stewart is just as fast, if not faster", or "Stewart is actually the bigger back" or, "Stewart is much closer to the prototype", etc etc. What I was trying to tell you is that, despite your obvious concerted attempts at objectivity, it seemed--from an impartial viewer--that you were, indeed, letting your greater knowledge and stronger sentimental attachments bleed into your analysis. That's all. It's not like you're coming in like TNew41 saying "OMG, Stewart is teh best RB posprect in colegge football sesnse Bary Sanders, lawl!!!!", just that it was apparent that you were a little pro-Stewart by the way you were arguing.

From what I've seen--which isn't a lot, I'll admit--McFadden has the bigger frame, as he is a little taller, and looks like he could easily add some bulk without overloading his frame. Not only that, but from watching highlights of the two, it is apparent that McFadden easily has the superior game speed, as he is constantly out running the superior athletes of the SEC in the open field, while I have seen Stewart get caught from behind multiple times.

Still, don't get worked up. I have really liked what I've seen from Johnathan, and he looks like he could actually be a special back. McFadden, though, has shown far more up to this point. There is no arguing that point. Also, for the people who question Darren's versatility, there was a peice done on him last season that highlighted his diverse skill set. Including his passing and receiving skills. It is on YouTube, I think, if you want to look for it. This is a guy that could be on the Reggie Bush level by the time he comes out. That's not a prediction, or anything, but it is a possibility.

DChess
05-02-2007, 12:02 PM
have fun with the last pick losers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im_a_Romosexual
05-02-2007, 12:05 PM
yeah, but it wont be via the browns!

DChess
05-02-2007, 12:08 PM
yeah, but it wont be via the browns!

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reigle9
05-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Imma throw the name Kenny Phillips out there.

That's what I was thinking the entire time I was catching up with this thread. If the Browns pick isn't high enough for McFadden (which I think it will be), the pick is Phillips and it will solve our decade long need for a FS.

You just never know what's going to happen though..
...Maybe JJ goes off.
...Maybe Pat Watkins improves enough that he's the future.
...Maybe nobody on the roster is good enough for LT.
...Maybe TO and Glenn are gone after this year.

I can see us using the Browns' pick on any of those depending on how the season goes. The awesome thing is that there is top end talent at all of those positions next year.

jdnoyes
05-02-2007, 12:37 PM
have fun with the last pick losers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah the 32nd overall after winning the super bowl will go really well with that #1 overall we get from the Browns.

Modano
05-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Darren McFadden and Limas Sweed. How sweet could be a first round like that?

duckseason
05-02-2007, 02:57 PM
lol, dude calm down. I was not speaking in a literal sense, which is how you took me. What I'm saying is that the general tone of your input has been to superficially be "torn" over who's better between the two, while siding with Stewart on basically every specific debate. As in, "Stewart is just as fast, if not faster", or "Stewart is actually the bigger back" or, "Stewart is much closer to the prototype", etc etc. What I was trying to tell you is that, despite your obvious concerted attempts at objectivity, it seemed--from an impartial viewer--that you were, indeed, letting your greater knowledge and stronger sentimental attachments bleed into your analysis. That's all. It's not like you're coming in like TNew41 saying "OMG, Stewart is teh best RB posprect in colegge football sesnse Bary Sanders, lawl!!!!", just that it was apparent that you were a little pro-Stewart by the way you were arguing.

From what I've seen--which isn't a lot, I'll admit--McFadden has the bigger frame, as he is a little taller, and looks like he could easily add some bulk without overloading his frame. Not only that, but from watching highlights of the two, it is apparent that McFadden easily has the superior game speed, as he is constantly out running the superior athletes of the SEC in the open field, while I have seen Stewart get caught from behind multiple times.

Still, don't get worked up. I have really liked what I've seen from Johnathan, and he looks like he could actually be a special back. McFadden, though, has shown far more up to this point. There is no arguing that point. Also, for the people who question Darren's versatility, there was a peice done on him last season that highlighted his diverse skill set. Including his passing and receiving skills. It is on YouTube, I think, if you want to look for it. This is a guy that could be on the Reggie Bush level by the time he comes out. That's not a prediction, or anything, but it is a possibility.

Well, hell DMW, you got me worked up. Never really been the type to allow people to talk to me like that. And it was surprising to hear it from a guy that I respect much more than most on this board. Wouldn't care as much if it came from some dumbass. (although I probably shouldn't care either way, but I do) Anyway, I see where you're coming from, but I still think you're misinterpreting my meaning in a lot of those posts. Again, my reference to Stewart's superior size was in direct response to this-
There is no arguing that this statement is false. And it's not even close to being correct. So I kindly informed him that Stewart is actually 230 lbs, while also pointing out that who's faster is debatable. Because it certainly is, and I think most people who've seen both play would agree that the difference is negligible. No homer bleeding into anything. That statement is completely objective, as I never declared either player faster. Doing such (either way) would be subjective at this point, as there is no way of knowing the truth. There have been reports that both have run in the 4.3's, and they both look that way on the field. So siding with one or the other would be pointless and based on opinion.

I then encountered a whole slew of biased posts regarding McFadden's purported superior size/speed/ability. All I did was temper those comments with a bit of reality. By mostly pointing out that his height is not advantageous, and that he would likely lose a bit of his speed if he were to put on enough weight to be Stewart's size. Nothing homerific about that either. Because those 2 statements are accepted concerns in the football world. Now, I certainly didn't want to come across as a McFadden basher (as he is one of my favorite players), but I guess it could appear that way considering the degree of ridiculousness I was responding to. I was merely trying to add a dose of reality to the conversation on both sides. Basically acting as a BS filter. I pointed out flaws in both backs in doing that.

Basically, I've said that Stewart is more of your prototypical back on the surface, but McFadden is the better back right now. Which is why it's too early for me to decide who I like better. They're both still developing different areas of their game. I fail to spot any green and yellow seeping from my keyboard on that one either. Because when most people imagine the prototypical back, they generally describe Stewart's physical attributes. And don't take that statement to mean that I think he will be better in the NFL. Because I have definite concerns to go along with all that. More so than I see with McFadden at this point. Hopefully, we'll all be treated to a full season of seeing both these guys healthy, and it might be more clear who is better in different areas. Until then, I reserve judgment on most comparisons between the two.

I can see how you confused my meaning in many of those posts. Especially considering that you seem to have already decided who the better player is. So, let's just chalk this up to a misunderstanding, and get back to talkin 'bout them Cowboys. Stewart's name didn't have much of a place in this discussion anyway.

Achilles33
05-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Modano you coppy cat ,I said the same exact thing, lol. I would love that. And how sick would it be, Browns give us #1 overall, and we win the superbowl? McFadden at 1 and Sweed at 32. I would love it.

DMWSackMachine
05-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Well, hell DMW, you got me worked up. Never really been the type to allow people to talk to me like that. And it was surprising to hear it from a guy that I respect much more than most on this board. Wouldn't care as much if it came from some dumbass. (although I probably shouldn't care either way, but I do) Anyway, I see where you're coming from, but I still think you're misinterpreting my meaning in a lot of those posts. Again, my reference to Stewart's superior size was in direct response to this-

There is no arguing that this statement is false. And it's not even close to being correct. So I kindly informed him that Stewart is actually 230 lbs, while also pointing out that who's faster is debatable. Because it certainly is, and I think most people who've seen both play would agree that the difference is negligible. No homer bleeding into anything. That statement is completely objective, as I never declared either player faster. Doing such (either way) would be subjective at this point, as there is no way of knowing the truth. There have been reports that both have run in the 4.3's, and they both look that way on the field. So siding with one or the other would be pointless and based on opinion.

I then encountered a whole slew of biased posts regarding McFadden's purported superior size/speed/ability. All I did was temper those comments with a bit of reality. By mostly pointing out that his height is not advantageous, and that he would likely lose a bit of his speed if he were to put on enough weight to be Stewart's size. Nothing homerific about that either. Because those 2 statements are accepted concerns in the football world. Now, I certainly didn't want to come across as a McFadden basher (as he is one of my favorite players), but I guess it could appear that way considering the degree of ridiculousness I was responding to. I was merely trying to add a dose of reality to the conversation on both sides. Basically acting as a BS filter. I pointed out flaws in both backs in doing that.

Basically, I've said that Stewart is more of your prototypical back on the surface, but McFadden is the better back right now. Which is why it's too early for me to decide who I like better. They're both still developing different areas of their game. I fail to spot any green and yellow seeping from my keyboard on that one either. Because when most people imagine the prototypical back, they generally describe Stewart's physical attributes. And don't take that statement to mean that I think he will be better in the NFL. Because I have definite concerns to go along with all that. More so than I see with McFadden at this point. Hopefully, we'll all be treated to a full season of seeing both these guys healthy, and it might be more clear who is better in different areas. Until then, I reserve judgment on most comparisons between the two.

I can see how you confused my meaning in many of those posts. Especially considering that you seem to have already decided who the better player is. So, let's just chalk this up to a misunderstanding, and get back to talkin 'bout them Cowboys. Stewart's name didn't have much of a place in this discussion anyway.

We're cool, bro, I just was calling it how it sounded, is all.

Like I said, I am not that into NCAA football, and my only interest in it stems from my desire to evaluate future pro players. I've only heard of Stewart in passing, and wasn't really sure who he was until he was brought up in this thread, at which point I did some research on him, watched some tape and remembered hearing about him during last year. He seems to have a lot of potential, and his size and power running the ball are exceptional.

However, there may not be a more special natural talent then McFadden in the college game right now. I have watched a few of his games, and have seen all of his highlights, and there is no doubt in my mind that he is as fast as any other player in the nation with the ball in his hands. His ability to run away from the defense is unparalleled by any but the most elite prospects of the last few years, ie Bush, CJ, Gin, maybe AD etc. Stewart, no matter his 40 time, does not appear to be on that level from a pure speed standpoint. To argue that would be a bit on the partial side. Also, McFadden certainly has at least as big a frame, if not bigger than Stewart, as he is a good 2 inches taller, but doesn't appear to run upright or take an inordinate amount of big hits, and looks like he could comfortably add 10-15 pounds. Whether that translates to lost speed is anyones guess, but it is not out of the question that he could bulk up without losing speed, either.

No need to fall off your rocker. I understand that there has been some serious fanboy-ism and schlong licking going on here, and I saw what you were trying to do. All I was saying is that in your attempts to keep things on the level, you came across as fighting for your homeboy. It's cool :D

thule
05-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Added weight would scare me with McFadden. I think he could add 10lbs at the most. His legs just don't have the build...and being top heavy would lead to reduced agility and speed.

Achilles33
05-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Robert in bid D, and Duckseason, I like Stewart as well, and I would love the pick, I just like McFadden more.

duckseason
05-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Robert in bid D, and Duckseason, I like Stewart as well, and I would love the pick, I just like McFadden more.
Well, if you were to read (or comprehend) my posts, you would understand that I'm not an advocate of us taking Stewart next year. Not once did I even hint at that. In fact, I stated on numerous occasions that if we were to go that route, our target would almost certainly be McFadden, and that there is a good chance that Stewart wouldn't even be available. Not sure why you would include my name in your post up there.

RE: DMW- I agree with a lot of what you're saying. There is no question that McFadden is an elite RB who is currently projected as a shoe-in top 5 pick. I can only hope that Stewart is able to realize his vast potential and perhaps be cast in a similar light. This is a great year for RB's, and I look forward to future discussions on the topic of just who the best is. It'll be fun to compare these two when we see a bit more of them while fully healthy. Not sure if anybody will topple mount McFadden, but I think there are a few guys (not just Stewart) with at least the potential to do so. I really hope Stewart can stay healthy and manage to perform big at Michigan. I know everybody will be watching that game, and it will likely shape many people's opinion of him. I have high expectations for both he and McFadden, and will be rooting for both.

And with that, I think we've exhausted the subject. Damn you robertinbigd for bringing up Stewart!!! Haha. Anyway, GO COWBOYS and F those redskins. I think that's something we can all agree on. I bet we end up with Mcfadden, and the Browns end up trading us their entire '10 draft to move up to #32 to pick a falling Stewart in '09.