PDA

View Full Version : Day One Thoughts

yourfavestoner
04-29-2007, 03:24 PM
I meant to put this up last night, but never got around to it. Anyways, here's a random collection of thoughts after Day One of the Draft.

I can't believe the Lions actually went through and kept Calvin Johnson. Yes, Johnson is the best player in the draft. However, the Lions made a big mistake two years ago by drafting the top player on their draft board when he fell to them (Mike Williams). While Johnson doesn't have Williams' character concerns, it's just another example of how Matt Millen has no idea how to match talent with scheme. Calvin Johnson is not the type of receiver that really fits Mike Martz's scheme. Plus, by not turning around and trading him and recouping the value of their pick, the Lions were forced to ignore a number of pressing needs on the defensive side of the ball.

It's no surprise why the Washington Redskins have been so freakin' bad minus one playoff season two years ago. They have a team that's cap-strapped, have a number of concerns with their pass rush and run defense, and what do they do? They draft a safety for the second time in four years. What makes it even worse, is that Laron Landry is basically the exact same player Sean Taylor was coming out. They're both over-aggressive, in the box, big hitters. We saw how big of a flop Sean Taylor was playing center field last season (a direct result of his over agressiveness and freelancing style). Laron Landry isn't exactly a center fielder type either. They might have the best safety duo in the league now. Woo hoo. Call me crazy, but I really don't think the best safety tandem in the NFL is going to help out their pass rush.

The Dolphins drafted a slot receiver/kick returner/punt returner in round one at pick number nine. Just let that sink in.

I love Dwayne Bowe, but I just don't think it was the right move for Kansas City to get him. When you have a need for big guys (and the Chiefs do in the worst way) you have to do what it takes to get them early. Just look at the Cardinals selecting Levi Brown. There were other receivers to take later in the draft. I think passing on Joe Staley was a major mistake.

Does Dallas' selection of Anthony Purdue mean a permanent move inside for Bobby Carpenter?

I really like the Arizona Cardinals draft. Get the big guys, and get them early. Buster Davis is going to be a stud, as well.

That's it for now. Feel free to add your thoughts and comments for Day One.

Ravens1991
04-29-2007, 03:31 PM
In 4 years I will be nervous about CLE.

The Unseen
04-29-2007, 03:37 PM
The Dolphins drafted a slot receiver/kick returner/punt returner in round one at pick number nine. Just let that sink in.

And to think, the Jaguars did the same thing in 2004, minus the returning ability.

yourfavestoner
04-29-2007, 03:38 PM
In 4 years I will be nervous about CLE.

Probably more like two.

Ravens1991
04-29-2007, 03:45 PM
true I just think that they will have a spooky passing game in the future, plus if Bently comes back they have 2 pro bowl lineman and a top 5 draft pick at LT. Plus Wimbley is playing well.

Ravens1991
04-29-2007, 03:56 PM
So who does everybody thinks their teams best pick was?

Mine I would have to say is Antwan Barnes in the 4th. He has expierence at 4-3 DE and OLB, he is extremly athletic and explosive, I think he will work well in our system replacing Adalius Thomas and possibly carry the pro bowl LB tradition and a late round defensive stud that th Ravens have done in the past.

Basileus777
04-29-2007, 04:03 PM
I like the Bowe pick. WR is just as big of a need for us as LT, and I like Bowe a hell of a lot more than Staley. We went BPA and took the better player instead of taking Staley just because we needed a tackle.

Vince Lombardi
04-29-2007, 05:14 PM
My head hurts........

bored of education
04-29-2007, 05:20 PM
I think the Colts addressed their secondary Hughes, Coe, Condren. 2 guys that could start right away. Pitcock will be servicable and I think he is only an upgrade.
Tony Ugoh will be a startin LT or RT in the next year or two.
Anthony G will be very good. A hard worker, film guru type that Manning would only embrace.
Roy Hall, could be a solid H-Back situational guy.
Session is more of a special teamer.

But they got more weapons on O and improved immensely secondary wise.

Shiver
04-29-2007, 05:20 PM
NFC South Take

I think New Orleans' offense heavy draft was peculiar, to say the least. They did nothing to address the front seven. The only defense they did get, was small school corners. They will have an awesome offense, but they will have to win a lot of shootouts. Meanwhile; Tampa Bay added a lot of players to improve their weak spots. On the O-Line, with Sears, but specifically with Tampa 2 specific defensive prospects. Also both Carolina and Atlanta have been lauded for their drafts. I think the NFC South will be very competitive. Much more so than last year. I think the NFC South will overtake the NFC East, as the premier division in the NFC.

Notredameleo
04-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Martz designs his scheme around the players that he has. And Martz was lobbying for CJ all the way leading up to the draft. He even left sticky notes in Millens office pretending to be CJ. He is giddy about having CJ. He has the skillset of a prototypical "Martz WR" but he is just 5 inches taller and can jump a lot higher. And I too an scared of what Cleveland will look like in the next couple of years...

draftguru151
04-29-2007, 05:32 PM
I actually don't completely hate Miami's first day, not nearly as much as our 2nd day.

JK17
04-29-2007, 05:58 PM
My personal thoughts on the Chargers picks?
We got the players that we needed, but with horrible value. Davis and Weddle are two guys who fit our team well but were picked either too early, or we gave up to much for them. The rest of the picks were all about building depth, though I'm suprised the OL wasn't addressed at all and we doubled up on drafting WRs, when we already had a lot on our roster.

As for the rest of the draft there is just too much to post on each team's picks and drafts. Overall I would say there were plenty of suprises (Quinn falls to 22, Harrell at 16, Branch hits 2nd round, etc.) and the length this year was unbelievable. Imagine the patience those GM's must have....some waiting close to seven-eight hours for their first pick...

EDIT: And then I looked back at this thread later and realized it said day one thoughts and not draft day thoughts....so ignore everything that wasn't about the first day.

sweetness34
04-29-2007, 06:00 PM
21st....Your defense was one of the worst in the NFL because you had no DL and really did nothing to help that at all. Your pass coverage will be great, but next year we're going to run all over you guys and it's going to be a joy to watch. Landry is a very good player, but you should've gone Anderson or Okoye with that pick.

21ST
04-29-2007, 06:12 PM
21st....Your defense was one of the worst in the NFL because you had no DL and really did nothing to help that at all. Your pass coverage will be great, but next year we're going to run all over you guys and it's going to be a joy to watch. Landry is a very good player, but you should've gone Anderson or Okoye with that pick.

We didnt have a DL cause people were hurt all year and we did do something to help it, we got healthy. The redskins are gonna run over the bears D just like we have the past couple of times we have played you guys.

21ST
04-29-2007, 06:13 PM

Also, that defense was bad a whole lot more reasons than because our D-line.

bearsfan_51
04-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Hahahaha...going back to that stupid argument are you? Keep comparing the Redskins to the Bears. I enjoy it.

21ST
04-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Hahahaha...going back to that stupid argument are you? Keep comparing the Redskins to the Bears. I enjoy it.
lol w/e you say

Bengals1690
04-29-2007, 06:51 PM
garret wolfe went in round three... wow.

bigbluedefense
04-29-2007, 07:09 PM
The Redskins made a terrible mistake. Do they not understand economics? Theres NO WAY they can keep both ST and Landry long term when both are making top 6 money. Thats WAY too much money invested in the safety position.

And basically for the same type of player. Not a bright decision to be honest. Landry is not a center fielder. They were better off trading back and landing Nelson who would compliment Taylor much better than Landry would.

Dallas had a great first day. They got an extra 1st for next year, got a great pass rusher in Spencer. Im surprised they passed up on Crosby the kicker though. That was a mistake.

The Giants had a very solid first day. I loved our picks. I wanted Nelson in the 1st, but hey, we got a good CB, we got a Toomer replacement WR, we got a pass rushing UT for our nickel, and we got a potential steal LB in DeOssie. I love the picks, they fit the scheme, theyre all character guys, leaders, and students of the game, and they all fill needs. Thats what drafting is all about.

Philly.....oh my. I like Abriamiri, that was a good pick. But Im not sure if Bradley fits their scheme, he's a little slow. He's more of a 3-4 LB. They were actually better off taking DeOssie. But still a solid player, and I like him alot. Kolb was a big reach, if they wanted a QB, they shouldve taken Beck. Not drafting a WR in this deep class was a big mistake. Especially after losing Stallworth, who helped their pass game tremendously when on the field.

Atlanta had a great draft. So did Arizona, and Carolina. Cleveland had a nice first round, but they couldve done better after that.

Indy did a great job drafting. They got great players who fit the scheme and got them for bargain prices.

Jacksonville also had a great draft. I question whether they will regret passing on Brady Quinn though.

And its almost not fair what NE is doing. NE, may God punish you with a flurry of injuries, preventing you from winning another SB. Randy Moss for a 4th should be illegal. Its not fair. Add Brandon Merriweather to an already great defense....excuse me while I cry in the corner.

The Jets had a great 1st rounder...but Im not too big on anything else they did. They needed Allan Branch. They need to bolster that dline and they didn't do it.

Thats all for now.

bearsfan_51
04-29-2007, 07:16 PM
garret wolfe went in round three... wow.

He was a projected 4th/5th rounder by most people. He went at the very end of the third. It's a bit of a reach but not much of one.

Bengals1690
04-29-2007, 07:17 PM
He was a projected 4th/5th rounder by most people. He went at the very end of the third. It's a bit of a reach but not much of one.

i know he was, but it was memorable for me cause i did not expect it at all. especillay over backs like micheal bush and pittman.

Moses
04-29-2007, 07:18 PM

Definitely didn't see him as a candidate for the Bears though. They had Benson and Peterson at runningback. Won't be any carries left for Wolfe. Plus, unless Hester is injured, Wolfe won't see any time on special teams.

bigbluedefense
04-29-2007, 07:21 PM

I liked the Wolfe pickup. He's been a sleeper of mine for quite awhile.

Merrill Olsen....not so much. I have him as the most overrated player in the whole draft. I think Chicago made a mistake getting him.

They didn't pull the trigger on the Briggs trade and instead stayed home to nab Olsen? I think Jerry screwed that one up. Washington offered him a gift, and he passed it up for Olsen? Big mistake.

bearsfan_51
04-29-2007, 07:23 PM
i know he was, but it was memorable for me cause i did not expect it at all. especillay over backs like micheal bush and pittman.

Just got to consider need. I would have prefered Pittman, but Bush does the Bears no good. He's a lesser version of Benson. We needed a scatback that can catch passes out of the backfield, which is about all Wolfe is. It's a little high, but we'll see how he can produce. The coaching staff is already talking about putting him out in the slot for passing plays the same way the Saints use Reggie Bush. Put Devin Hester and Garrett Wolfe in the same offensive packages, that could be fun to watch.

bearsfan_51
04-29-2007, 07:25 PM
I liked the Wolfe pickup. He's been a sleeper of mine for quite awhile.

Merrill Olsen....not so much. I have him as the most overrated player in the whole draft. I think Chicago made a mistake getting him.

They didn't pull the trigger on the Briggs trade and instead stayed home to nab Olsen? I think Jerry screwed that one up. Washington offered him a gift, and he passed it up for Olsen? Big mistake.

Who the hell is Merrill Olsen? Greg?

Anyway, Olsen is exactly what we need. He'll stretch the seam, which is Grossman's favorite throw, give him a reliable dumpoff target, and force safeties to cheat up meaning that Berrian can beat them over the top. Olsen was by far the best pick they could have made at 31. Only Poz would have entered my mind.

bigbluedefense
04-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Who the hell is Merrill Olsen? Greg?

Anyway, Olsen is exactly what we need. He'll stretch the seam, which is Grossman's favorite throw, give him a reliable dumpoff target, and force safeties to cheat up meaning that Berrian can beat them over the top. Olsen was by far the best pick they could have made at 31. Only Poz would have entered my mind.

Greg. You get what I meant.

I think the idea makes sense, but the player isn't that great. This was a very weak TE class. Olsen wasn't that great of a TE. He's almost like a big WR. The Bears love the 2 TE offense with a TE who can block inside and run out and catch passes out of the 2 TE set.

To use Olsen, you gotta line him up wide. He doesn't fit the traditional 2 TE set at all. He can't block for squat. I think TE was a need yes, but the TE they needed to fit their system wasn't available in this draft. They were better off going in a different direction.

I dont like Poz in the Cover 2. Maybe as an ILB, but not WILL.

They shouldve reached for Jarrett in round 1. I think he wouldve been a better long term pick opposed to Olsen.

bearsfan_51
04-29-2007, 07:48 PM
I think Olsen makes a better wide reciever than Jarrett.

Moses
04-29-2007, 07:50 PM

That's an interesting opinion to say the least.

yourfavestoner
04-29-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm calling it now. Mike Walker will be the second coming of Jimmy Smith.

Bigburt63
04-29-2007, 08:37 PM
I like the bears drafting a te because it can really help grossman to progress and become more consistent. i just dont like how olsen's stock soared after the combine. like bigblue i think he was only considered to be a first rounder because of the weak te class.

BlindSite
04-29-2007, 09:17 PM

Yeah, because Olsen is better at running routes, has better hands and is better controlling his body. Not to mention by FAR better when he has to step up in big games. [/sarcasm]

What did olsen catch like 6 out of 35 passes on third down? He's a good tight end, but don't be stupid. The best technical receiver in this draft class was Dwayne Jarrett in a few years people are going to cry that they missed out on him.

I'm not just saying this because I'm a panthers fan either, I've had this opinion for a while, don't believe me check my post history I've been defending him every day on this forum.