PDA

View Full Version : Have we given up on Barrett Ruud?

Tampa 2 4 life
04-29-2007, 07:13 PM
We drafted Quincy Black, who played a weird scheme at New Mexico, was the placed as the "Lobo" Linebacker, basically doing the same things as a Cover Two Middle Linebacker. The last player to be drafted as a "Lobo" linebacker was none other than Brian Urlacher. Where does this leave Ruud, is he the starter, or a back-up? I personally think he'll be back-up because Black is a way better fit.

Edit: Fixed last name.

Caddy
04-29-2007, 07:17 PM
First of all, it's Quincy Black. And no we haven't given up on Ruud. Black will not play MLB for us. He will be our WILL or SAM of the future depending on where June plays. A starting Linebacker corp of Black/Ruud/June could be promising.

Tampa 2 4 life
04-29-2007, 07:25 PM
First of all, it's Quincy Black. And no we haven't given up on Ruud. Black will not play MLB for us. He will be our WILL or SAM of the future depending on where June plays. A starting Linebacker corp of Black/Ruud/June could be promising.

I see Hayward more as the guy who gets molded to be Brooks' replacement, I wouldn't doubt him being a SAM though. He just seems to good a fit in the middle to me not to place him there.

Edit:
Speaking of Hayward: http://pewterreport.com/articles/view/3007
“I was looking at the clock and I saw Tampa was up there and I felt like I was going to go there. Then I saw my phone ringing. They put me through to Coach Gruden and I lost it. He said, ‘You’re a Tampa Bay Buccaneer’ and he was excited. He needs me to fly around and make plays.”

The 6-foot, 235-pound Hayward is considered a prototype Cover 2 linebacker. The former track star possesses great speed (4.42 40-yard dash) and cover skills.

Now that he’s a Buccaneer, Hayward is ready to learn behind behind Tampa Bay’s veteran players, including 10-time Pro Bowler Derrick Brooks, whom he grew up idolizing.

“Back in my dorm room at Portland State, I had pictures of Derrick Brooks up,” said Hayward. “I try to base my play on him and how he flies around everywhere and makes plays. It’s just kind of crazy that I’m actually going to be getting advice from an amazing linebacker.”

Caddy
04-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Black is going to play OLB, it's that simple. Hayward as a 6th rounder has to progress a lot before he is even ready to be mentioned as a possible starter.

etk
04-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Ruud was drafted in the early 2nd two years ago, and he hasn't done anything to lose his job. In his rare starting oppurtunities he has performed well and he is a good special teamer. He doesn't have a backup with Quarles retiring so drafting some depth was necessary. Ruud will be the starter for years but June is much better in coverage so I can see Barrett coming off the field on 3rd downs. Quincy Black will back him up now and eventually replace Brooks at WILL.

Caddy
04-30-2007, 12:27 AM
Ruud was drafted in the early 2nd two years ago, and he hasn't done anything to lose his job. In his rare starting oppurtunities he has performed well and he is a good special teamer. He doesn't have a backup with Quarles retiring so drafting some depth was necessary. Ruud will be the starter for years but June is much better in coverage so I can see Barrett coming off the field on 3rd downs. Quincy Black will back him up now and eventually replace Brooks at WILL.

I think what is really intriguing is the future of Cato June. Could he possibly shift Black to the middle or strong side or will he remain on the strong side.

StaticGator
04-30-2007, 05:54 AM
You have to consider that strongside linebacker for the Tampa 2 is only on the field 2/3 of the time and typically manned by marginal draft picks like Nece and Singleton. If they drafted Black to play strongside, it was a complete waste of a good pick.

Caddy
04-30-2007, 06:08 AM
You have to consider that strongside linebacker for the Tampa 2 is only on the field 2/3 of the time and typically manned by marginal draft picks like Nece and Singleton. If they drafted Black to play strongside, it was a complete waste of a good pick.

Like etk alluded to earlier, we could see a combination of June/Black on passing downs in the future.

StaticGator
04-30-2007, 07:36 AM
Like etk alluded to earlier, we could see a combination of June/Black on passing downs in the future.

Assuming the opponent has at least three receivers on the field in an obvious passing down, wouldn't the Bucs be playing nickle?

Beans
04-30-2007, 09:25 AM
I want to know whaere Cato June fits into all of this. SLB?

simms2clayton
04-30-2007, 09:36 AM
No. But we had to find a back up for Ruud and future OLBs. If we can strike gold with Black and/or Heyward I say we might the right picks. Just to get one would be great. It is a shame Cooper didn't work out.

I am hoping we move Brooks to SLB with his decreased speed and we put June at WLB. Brooks moving imo in no way says that he has a decreased role on the team.

The coaching staff needs to realize he doens't have the footspeed to play the WILL anymore.

irishbucsfan
04-30-2007, 11:51 AM
June is still young, and obviously so is Black, so when Brooks retires and we have both of these guys how would they best be used? Assuming Black has spent the intervening year or two learning from Brooks how to replace him. To me, putting the difference in experience to one side, Black just seems like a slightly bigger, slightly faster Cato June.

Caddy
04-30-2007, 04:22 PM
No. But we had to find a back up for Ruud and future OLBs. If we can strike gold with Black and/or Heyward I say we might the right picks. Just to get one would be great. It is a shame Cooper didn't work out.

I am hoping we move Brooks to SLB with his decreased speed and we put June at WLB. Brooks moving imo in no way says that he has a decreased role on the team.

The coaching staff needs to realize he doens't have the footspeed to play the WILL anymore.

Moving Brooks to the strong side does say that he has a decreased role because in actual fact he does. SLB is probably the least important position in the Cover 2 and Brooks can still play with the best of them.

etk
04-30-2007, 05:41 PM

Decreased speed? What? I can't believe any Bucs fan can doubt Derrick Brooks. He works harder than almost anyone and he hasn't lost any speed. He can still chase down any RB and outrun the offense for a pick 6.

These kind of comments really piss me off. Just because Brooks and Rice are old doesn't mean they are still among the fastest at their position because of their vigorous offseason training ethic.

Caddy
04-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Decreased speed? What? I can't believe any Bucs fan can doubt Derrick Brooks. He works harder than almost anyone and he hasn't lost any speed. He can still chase down any RB and outrun the offense for a pick 6.

These kind of comments really piss me off. Just because Brooks and Rice are old doesn't mean they are still among the fastest at their position because of their vigorous offseason training ethic.

QFT... Brooks and Rice, despite what other people think will retain the positions they have commendeered for the last 5-10 years and do a damn good job too.