PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on our draft class?

d34ng3l021
04-29-2007, 08:13 PM
Pick 8: Jamaal Anderson
Pick 39: Justin Blaylock
Pick 41: Chris Houston
Pick 75: Laurent Robinson
Pick 109: Stephen Nicholas
Pick 133: Martinez Milner
Pick 185: Trey Lewis
Pick 194: David Irons
Pick 198: Doug Datish
Pick 203: Darren Stone
Pick 244: Jason Snelling

I shall add my opinions later.

ATLDirtyBirds
04-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Falcons: A-

Round 1: Jamaal Anderson, DE

He has freakish size at 6'6 290 and some big time playmaking abilities. He's raw as of right now, but has potential as high as being a Julius Peppers like player. Replaces Kerney at LE, and can hold down both run stopping and pass rushing. The Falcons where looking for Landry or Peterson here, but neither fell. Millen wanted to much for the chance at Calvin, and the Falcons can't trade down with themselves. So a boom/bust type of pick, but he fills a need and the potential is very hard to ignore.

Round 2a: Justin Blalock, OG

Will start as our LG immediately, replacing Matt Lehr who was terrible. Petrino wanted to install a bigger more powerful OLine, and Blalock is a great tool to start with. Blalock is 6'4 330, put up 40 reps of 225 at the combine, and managed a score of 41 on the wonderlic which was the highest for an offensive lineman. Blalock is also very consitant starting 51 straight games at Texas. Just a great pick here, filling another need.

Round 2b: Chris Houston, CB

There is no way a guy with this talent should have made it to pick 41. He was ranked as the 11th best player on Mayock's board. Alot of mock drafted had him going anywhere from 15-28, so at pick 41 he is an obvious steal. He is extremely fast, ran a 4.32, and put up 27 lifts of 225. There are concerns of him being overly agressive, and drawing too many pass interference pentalies. With his speed and strenght he is too much to pass up. Also he fills an area of need. The Falcons can move Jimmy Williams to FS, a more natural fit for him, and we plug Houston in as the #2 CB, and we have a filled backfield, with 3 guys who run under 4.4's.

Round 3: Laurent Robinson, WR

At first I was dissapointed. Never heard of the kid, and there where other good WR's still on the board. Then I did some reasearch and found out that at the combine he was in the top 10 at every event. Also add in that he has great YAC potential. Even though most of the time he was up against not so great competition, when he did have good opponents, he showed up. High potential pick here, and I'm sure a mastermind like Hue Jackson can groom him.

Round 4a: Stephen Nicholas,LB

Depth. He can play ever linebacker postion and with the news of Demorrio Williams tearing a pectorial muscle, he could really be of assistance here. Has a good motor, and will make the tackles that are needed.

Round 4b: Martrez Milner, LB

A pick that I'm not a fan of. Has a lack of expierence because he was behind Leonard Pope. Also has a problem with dropped passes, and has shown concentration problems. He is a solid blocker, but the kid can straight up fly. Great speed here, another player that will have to be worked with.

Round 6a: Trey Lewis, DT

Comes out of a small school. Big guy at 6'3 325. Has a solid potential but is raw.

Round 6b: David Irons, CB

Great pick here. Tore his ACL twice, but when healthy was a fanstatic player. Will provide much needed depth.

Round 6c: Daren Stone, S

Youtube. Type in his name, and you will se videos of the kid jumping over cars. Great size, 6'3, 220, and has shown to be a real big hitter. Good potential/depth, will make a ST impact.

Round 7: Jason Snelling, RB

Big back who will complement Dunn and Norwood very well. A FB/RB tweener, who Petrino can use as his big back.

Shiver
04-29-2007, 09:14 PM
This is the happiest I can remember feeling about a draft.

Tampa 2 4 life
04-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Being a long time USF fan, I can say that you guys got a great playmaker in Nicholas.

Shiver
04-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Good, because he may be our day-1 starter due to an injury.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
04-29-2007, 09:17 PM
We had a great day. We addressed pretty much all our needs, and added some much needed depth. We got Anderson that filled the LE need, Blalock that filled a need at G, Chris Houston which filled a need at CB, and allowed Jimmy Williams to move to FS, so it pretty much filled 2 needs. I don't know about Laurent Robinson yet, but we needed to add a WR and got one, Stephen Nichols was a pretty good pickup as he can play any LB position and immediatly adds depth. I don't know about the Martez Milner pick, when we could've had Ben Patrick, but we got needed depth at TE, added some much needed depth at CB with David Irons who I think compares to Ronde Barber, Got some depth on the OL with Doug Datish, and then got depth at S with sleeper Daren Stone. I would like to have added a power back other than Jason Snelling, because I don't think he's good enough to fit into our rotation.

Shiver
04-29-2007, 09:33 PM
What I love is the team focused on two areas;

1. In the trenches. The team added much needed depth, and size, to both lines.

2. The secondary. The '07 secondary is night and day in contrast to last year's unit.

thefalconer
04-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Round 3: Laurent Robinson, WR

At first I was dissapointed. Never heard of the kid, and there where other good WR's still on the board. Then I did some reasearch and found out that at the combine he was in the top 10 at every event. Also add in that he has great YAC potential. Even though most of the time he was up against not so great competition, when he did have good opponents, he showed up. High potential pick here, and I'm sure a mastermind like Hue Jackson can groom him.

i really dont like this pick but i might have to eat my words later. i feel like we just got rid of a very similar vet in lelie and got a rookie. robinson, imo, lacks the toughness and physicality we need at wr. imo, we dont have any potential YAC recievers who can break some tackles. and i know we are gonna run the vertical passing offense but it would be nice for some third downs. horn can be physical but with his injury last season and his age i think he wont be as effective and jenkins and roddy seem to just go down either with or without the ball.

d34ng3l021
04-29-2007, 10:16 PM
1. Jamaal Anderson

I am REALLY dissapointed we didnt get Laron Landry here. I really wanted that guy...Adrian Peterson didnt drop to us either...Even Levi Brown didnt make it to number 8...Kinda sad. With that being sad, I wouldve liked a trade down but this pick isnt too bad. He has the potential to be a perrenial pro bowler and be one of the best DEs year in and year out. He also has the chance to be a bust. A concern of mine was the fact that he had one good year, but seeing as how he started 5 games his sophmore year and had 4 sacks was nice to know. I dont think his work ethic should be questioned seeing as how he has had to cope with a deaf father for most of his life. What I look for most in a prospect is his work ethic and athleticism and instinct. He definetly has the first 2.

2. Justin Blaylock

Great pick. Arguably the best guard in the draft which we got at pick 39. What a steal. Was a tackle in the college level so he definetly has somewhat quick feet. Showed he can be a mauler with his 40 reps, and had a nice 41 wonderlic score. LG was a huge need and this guy can be a day 1 starter. With this being said, I wonder what we are going about our OT issue. Tony Ugoh was here at this spot and I wonder whether we should have picked him up. Seeing Gandy start for most of this season will make me shoot myself.

3. Chris Houston

Ah. My favorite pick of the draft. I really liked this guy when I learned more about him. Is an amazing fit for Zimmer's press coverage scheme. Excels in man to man so we can just man up Houston and Hall all day long and allow our LB's and S's to blitz. What worries me is his comparisons with Ahmad Carroll...Sure he is bound to draw comparisons with the former Razorback, but after I learned that he also had troubles with penalties in college (8 pass interference pentalties in senior year) I am a tiny bit worried. We will just have to see. I heard he is a hard worker, so that makes me really happy.

4. Laurent Robinson

I know nothing about this guy, except I remember him running a fast 40. Not too thrilled with this pick yet...Someone wanna tell me more about this man?

5. Stephen Nicholas

I like this pick. Didnt know anything about this guy until I looked him up. I love players with great insticts and are always around the ball and make plays, regardless of competition level. Didnt know why we picked a LB until I heard about Demorrio Williams. This guy might get thrown into the fire early and I think he can shine in his limited playing time.

6. Martez Milner

The WTF pick. Dont like it at all. Out of the blue...Inconcistent hands...Why did we pick him?

I shall finish later. Sucks analyzing 11 picks.

ksfalconsfan
04-30-2007, 12:48 AM
Overall, I like the draft when I look back at it. Could have been better in my eyes, but I trust McKay and the staff, they know far more about everybody than I do.

#8 - Jamaal Anderson - I am dissapointed that we missed out on both Landry and Peterson. I thought for sure at least one of them would drop to us. Still, I think this guy is a great pick for us. Anderson has the potential to be a Pro Bowl DE, he can play both the run and the pass well. He's exactly what we needed, he can play LE with John Abraham and can swich to RE when Abraham is hurt/in the future. The best part is that not only does he have potential, he has the intangibles, character and work ethic to realize that potential.

#39 - Justin Blaylock - I don't think anyone can argue with this pick. Blaylock is a huge run blocker who instantly becomes the starter. He's arguably the best guard in the draft (definitely the best for our power-run scheme), and we were able to pick him in the second. Great combination of need and value.

#44 - Chris Houston - The best man corner in the draft, to be able to get him in the 2nd round could be the steal of the draft. I'm starting to think that naming Jimmy Williams starting RCB might have been a smokescreen, or maybe they just saw the chance and took it. Houston has huge potential to be a shutdown corner (4.32 speed, an insane 27 bench press reps for a corner), but he also has high bust potential. Still, in the second round, he's a great pick.

#75 - Laurent Robinson - This pick shocked me, I thought Michael Bush would be the pick. I had never heard of him, but looking at him, I think that he can be a solid reciever for us. Hopefully he can bulk up and not loose speed, from what I've read that would really help his game, and the fumbling problem should be fixable. He knows how to be a productive #1 reciever and is a good route runner, which you can't say for alot of guys in the 3rd round.

#109 - Stephen Nicholas - A good pick, even more important now with Demarrio Williams out until the opener, so he'll be a starter unless we move Brooking outside and start Beck. He's an experienced, productive 4-year starter who is a good athlete. Also, he plays with a nasty demeanor, which is the most important attribute for a LB to have

#133 - Martrez Milner - The first reaction is to pile onto this guy, but the question is why did we draft him? It seems to be a potential pick, and we must feel that he can develop into a multi-demensional TE. The coaching staff may be able to work with him on the drops, and he might end up being a solid player. Still confusing though with Ben Patrick still on the board...

#185 - Trey Lewis - A huge man DT with lots of potential, but will be a project player. Hopefully he can take time get used to the NFL and add strength, but with the Grady Jackson lawsuit, he may have to play quicker than we would like.

#194 - David Irons - I am extremely happy with this pick. He was a #1 corner in the SEC, which says something right there. If he can stay healthy (2 ACL surgeries) then he can be a nickel or dime corner and provide depth. Irons lacks the elite timed speed, but he makes up for it with the passion he plays with. After this pick, it's looking more and more like Jason Webster is finally on his way out of Atlanta.

#198 - Doug Datish - Very versatile and has played every position on the O-line. He can provide depth all-around and could develop into a starter later down the road. Plays with a mean streak and intelligence, a great combination for a lineman.

#203 - Daren Stone - I'm sure everyone has seen the Youtube videos of him jumping over a car. Obviously he has great athleticism, but he didn't play vs. elite competition. Hopefully he can start at SS in the future but for now he provides depth.

#244 - Jason Snelling - A big, bruising back who can play FB and RB, I expect him to get goal line carries next year and take on a larger role and split carries with Jerrious Norwood after Warrick Dunn retires.

iloxygenil
04-30-2007, 01:13 AM
Man all I know right now...is that we got 2 great corners in this draft and I hope we add 1 more through URFA (Kenny Scott) And Webster isn't even on the depth chart anymore on af.com...so this is great!

Shiver
04-30-2007, 01:21 AM
http://www.profootballhof.com/assets/history/Falcons_logo_Nov20.jpg

1. Jamaal Anderson - LE - Arkansas

2. Justin Blalock - LG - Texas

2. Chris Houston - RCB - Arkansas

3. Laurent Robinson - WR - Illinois State

4. Stephen Nicholas - OLB - South Florida

4. Martrez Milner - TE/H-Back - Georgia

6. Trey Lewis - NT - Washburn

6. David Irons - CB - Auburn

6. Doug Datish - OL - Ohio State

6. Darren Stone - SS - Maine

7. Jason Snelling - FB/RB - Virginia

I adore the draft. This draft will go a long way into paving the way to great success in the Bobby Petrino era. Here are a few quick snippets.

Jamaal Anderson - Immediate steps in as the starting LE. Though he is raw, he has excellent character, and all the talent in the world. He has the potential to be a solid pass rusher, with the potential to be an elite player at the P.O.A. I am very, very glad they took him over Amobi Okoye.

Justin Blalock - I called this pick. Evidently, the team tried to trade into the #28 slot in the first round to get him. Fortunately he fell to #39. He will be the starting LG from day-1. Immediately improves the O-Line. Arguably, he fills the biggest need on the team.

Chris Houston - I am stunned he fell so far. He is the best man corner in the draft, and Mike Zimmer loves press man-to-man corners. This improves two positions in one move. He jumps in at LCB, and should beat out Lewis Sanders, and Jason Webster. They will then move Jimmy Williams to, as I feel, his natural position at Safety. The pass defense last year was atrocious. Now the team is much stronger.

Laurent Robinson - I didn't know a lot about him. However, when I double checked info about him the more I like the pick. He palyed very well against top flight competition. He also certainly has the physical tool-set to succeed. Not to mention Hue Jackson is our WR coach, who was beloved by the Bengals' receivers, so I trust him to develop him.

Stephen Nicolas - Rich McKay has had tremendous success with his last two day-2 OLB. With Williams' injury, the play style difference between the two is negligible. Very solid workout numbers. Very productive in college.

Martnez Milner - Not that big of a fan. However, he does have the ability to be a nice H-Back for the team. Obviously they like him in that capacity.

Trey Lewis - A large man, in deed. He all the ability to be a standout NT. A nice gamble in the 6th round. I am a big fan of taking shots at projects. There is nothing to lose here.

David Irons - A really nice value, in my opinion. Has upside, and fits Zimmer's scheme. Once again; they don't lose anything if he doesn't stand out. Hopefully this ensures that Allen Rossum doesn't see the field any more, as a corner.

Doug Datish - I love this pick. He provides depth at multiple O-Line positions. Not too shabby for a 6th round pick.

Darren Stone - Has great physical ability, and will be able to learn under the tutelage of Lawyer Milloy. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns into something.

Jason Snelling - Our power I-formations will knock some heads. Line this guy behind Ovi Mughelli, and run behind Justin Blalock. That's a lot of strength.

A

iloxygenil
04-30-2007, 01:25 AM
The more I look at the draft and the players the better it gets...Milner is a blemish on an otherwise NASTY draft, but the pick SHOULD have been Ben Patrick there imo.

Is anyone else excited that Rossy and Webster are goners?

Shiver
04-30-2007, 01:25 AM
Who is going to be the RS if we cut Rossum?

iloxygenil
04-30-2007, 01:31 AM
We have a lot of options at return. Norwood is a KR extraordinarie and Jennings is a good PR guy. But I think that Houston also has return ability, and as much as we'd hate it, Deangelo is MORE than capable at both. Jenkins was fine on KR as a decoy for that stupid fake lol.

DraftMichaelHuff
04-30-2007, 01:32 AM
Anthony Arline (shhhh im working on it) realistically tho maybe Jennings has done enough.

Im serious you will all be shocked when you see snelling run the football, he runs like a friggin freight train, lol no agility or vision just bam straight over the top of people, i think he just closes his eyes and runs, great hands too and only ran a 4.7 which is fine.

I agree about the TE pick dunno who else they coulda grabbed tho

DraftMichaelHuff
04-30-2007, 01:39 AM
A few position of depth id like to highlight

CB

D Hall
Chris Houston
Lewis Sanders
Davis Irons
Anthony Arline/Kenny Scott (crosses fingers) - what a young athletic group that would be

OT
LT
Wayne Gandy
Quinn Okiyaka
RT
Todd Weiner
Juluis Wilson UAB (crosses fingers)/ Frank Ominyale - i think wilson would beat him out easily

OG
LG
Blaylock
Fontinu
RG
Forney
Clabo

WR
Roddy
Jenkins
Horn
Robinson
Finneran
Gibson/Jennings (ST)

d34ng3l021
04-30-2007, 02:32 AM
A few position of depth id like to highlight

CB

D Hall
Chris Houston
Lewis Sanders
Davis Irons
Anthony Arline/Kenny Scott (crosses fingers) - what a young athletic group that would be

OT
LT
Wayne Gandy
Quinn Okiyaka
RT
Todd Weiner
Juluis Wilson UAB (crosses fingers)/ Frank Ominyale - i think wilson would beat him out easily

OG
LG
Blaylock
Fontinu
RG
Forney
Clabo

WR
Roddy
Jenkins
Horn
Robinson
Finneran
Gibson/Jennings (ST)

Not sold on our OTs yet, but thats pretty solid. I really like our OG group. I liked Clabos play for when he had to fill in for Forney.

flrybranch
04-30-2007, 04:56 PM
2007 Draft Analysis

1:8 Jamaal Anderson DE Ark
6’5”, 288 lbs. He had some of the fastest agility times at the combine for DEs.

The Falcons missed out on the “elite 7” prospects. Anderson might not have been the pick for every team, but he was the best pick for Atlanta. The junior from Arkansas was the best available DE and will be the opening day starter at LDE for the Falcons. He is still developing and could turn into a dominating player.

Started as a WR and was converted to DE. Only had one really productive year at DE, which causes some concerns that he could be a “one hit wonder”. He appears to be very mature with a solid support system. His father was the first deaf African-American to earn his PhD.

2:39 Justin Blalock OG Tex
6’3”, 320 lbs

He is one of the elite interior offensive linemen in the draft. He was expected to be taken in the late 1st round. The Falcons consider themselves very fortunate to be able to pick him in the 2nd.

Justin is a massive mauler who has played OG as well as OT. He projects to OG in the NFL but has the athleticism to play either OT or OG spot on the line. He is equally adept at pass blocking and run blocking. Coach Petrino wanted to get bigger along the offensive line and Justin does that. He should be the starting LOG on opening day.

2:41 Chris Houston CB Ark
5’8”, 185 lbs, 4.39 40YD

The Falcons traded up 3 spots to ensure they could pick Houston. Like Blalock, Houston was expected to be drafted in the 1st round. Houston is one of the best press cover CBs in the draft. This is the coverage that Coach Zimmer likes to use.

He excels in press coverage but has played limited amounts of zone defense. He will have a bit of a learning curve as he adapts to NFL speed and zone coverage. He was one of the strongest and fastest CBs at the combine. He has shut down some of the elite WRs in college. He has trouble catching the ball and will not get a lot of interceptions. He should be the opening day starter opposite Hall.

3:75 Laurent Robinson WR Ill. St.
6’2”, 198 lbs, 4.38 40YD

Div 1AA school player. He has good size, speed, hands, and athletic ability. Has had some ball control issues and has not played against much Div 1 experience. He did well in the few games he had against big school programs. Most scouting services rated him as an early mid round prospect.

Coach Petrino runs 4 and 5 WR sets and the Falcons needed to add another WR. He should be able to work into the rotation slowly as the #4 or #5 options. He is a deep threat who has good hands.

4:109 Stephan Nicholas LB South FL
6’1”, 232 lbs, 4.66 40YD

Another Div 1AA school player. Stephan is an instinctive player who is a good athlete and tackler. He has adequate speed and can play sideline to sideline. He does not change direction well and will bite on fakes and play action. He does not have a lot of experience against better player and can be blocked out by larger linemen.

At worst he will be a great special team player and valuable backup at all three LB positions. He has lots of upside and can develop into a starting caliber LB.

Added 4/30. Looks like he is going to get a lot of practice reps at WLB, he may be our starter on opening day.

4:133 Martrez Milner TE UGA
6’2”, 252 lbs, 4.79 40YD

Martrez is one of the more athletic TEs in the draft. He is a good blocker and can make some spectacular plays but is more well know for dropping easy passes. Hopefully Coach Jackson can help him work out his concentration problems. He was picked solely on potential and is a boom or bust player. With Crumpler, Blakely, Fells and Beverly on the roster he will probably be a practice squad player this season.

6:185 Trey Lewis DT Wash
6’3”, 318 lbs

Trey is a large, strong def tackle. He plays well in one on one matchups but struggles with double teams. He is not very instinctive and loses concentration sometimes. He is a developmental DT that will work into the rotation with Shropeshire and Jackson. Help was needed at DT after Grady Jackson sued the team and refused to attend workouts at the teams training facility.

6:194 David Irons CB Aub
5’10”, 190 lbs, 4.44 40YD

David is a productive college player who may have trouble converting to the NFL. He has good size and average speed. He does not have great balls skills or instincts. Two major knee surgeries have limited his change of direction ability. The things that may help him succeed in the Pros are his heart and desire. He is coachable and willing to help in run support. Good value pick in the 6th round. Could develop into a good nickel CB.

6:198 Doug Datish OC Ohio St
6’4”, 305 lbs

Doug is a versatile offensive lineman who has played Tackle, Guard, and Center while at Ohio St. He projects to OC in the pros but could be a backup player at any position. His versatility will earn him a spot on the roster. He is athletic and mobile with the frame to add 10-15 lbs. He is not as strong as you would think for a 300 lb OL. Needs to focus on one position long enough to learn to play it well. His versatility has held him back from becoming very good at any one position.

6:203 Daren Stone SS Maine
6’3”, 218 lbs, 4.60 40YD

Daren is a very good athlete with unbelievable leaping skills. He is a hard hitter with good ball and tackling skills. Plays well against the run and in pass coverage. He is a monster on special teams. There is huge upside and potential with him.

He does not have much experience against better player coming from a Div 1AA school. He has average straight line speed and can be overly aggressive at times. He is a developmental Safety prospect that will be a special teams star immediately.

7:244 Jason Snelling RB UVA
5’11”, 230 lbs, 4.79 40YD

Jason has played both FB and HB at Virginia. His role for the Falcons will be as a short yardage back and special teams player. He is a crushing between the tackles runner who will break tackles and move the pile forward. He does not have the speed or elusiveness to get around the end on sweeps. He is a hard worker with good special team skills.
He is a role player who should see playing time in short yardage and special teams this season.

In summary the Falcons ended up with 2 instant starters in Anderson and Blalock. They also acquired 4 players who should play significant roles this year with Houston, Robinson, Lewis and Snelling. Stone will be a ST starter. Datish and Nicholas are developmental players who will work into starting or key reserve roles in the near future. Irons and Milner may both end up on the practice squad, but have enough talent to make the team if they catch a break.

Mr. Myogi
04-30-2007, 05:05 PM
We have a lot of options at return. Norwood is a KR extraordinarie and Jennings is a good PR guy. But I think that Houston also has return ability, and as much as we'd hate it, Deangelo is MORE than capable at both. Jenkins was fine on KR as a decoy for that stupid fake lol.

I read on one site that L. Robinson has return ability and being a 4.3 guy it could be worth a shot.

Don't remember which site it was but when I get it I will post the link.

dabears10
04-30-2007, 06:17 PM
I read on one site that L. Robinson has return ability and being a 4.3 guy it could be worth a shot.

Don't remember which site it was but when I get it I will post the link.

He may have the ability, but he didn't return for Illinois State and we had big return problems this year and last. He is a longer strider so it is not the best for returns.

iloxygenil
04-30-2007, 07:40 PM
He could be a KR, but not a PR.

fryman
04-30-2007, 11:53 PM
He may have the ability, but he didn't return for Illinois State and we had big return problems this year and last. He is a longer strider so it is not the best for returns.

Yeah it is kinda hard to say, because he was so important to the team it may have kept them from using him as a returner. I don't think he would be the best option to return at the NFL level though.

D-Rod
05-01-2007, 02:58 AM
It says that he has a tendency to fumble, so I'd say keep him away from returns...

ksfalconsfan
05-01-2007, 11:59 PM
If we cut Rossum, we should have Norwood return kicks. He's a playmaker, and we should try to get the ball in his hands as often as possible. I doubt we will end up cutting Rossum though.

D-Rod
05-02-2007, 09:16 AM
we won't risk norwood on kick returns, now that he's our primary RB. that might even be a job for Dunn, or a larger RB should we acquire one. but not Norwood, we don't want to get him injured, and KR is a prime injury territory.

VY10
05-02-2007, 05:52 PM
The Falcons had a great draft. If Vick can keep his nose clean this team will have success this year. I love the pick of Blalock who has had experience blocking for a very mobile quarterback (Vince!) and who has the physical ability (40reps) to be an elite guard in the league.

Shiver
05-02-2007, 06:05 PM
I adore the Blalock pick. In fact, I called it in my Mock Draft. He is everything you would want in a Guard.

d34ng3l021
05-02-2007, 08:00 PM
I adore the Blalock pick. In fact, I called it in my Mock Draft. He is everything you would want in a Guard.

What the hell. Why do you get such a cool sig?

Shiver
05-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Well, I sort of *borrowed* it from someone at AFMB.

d34ng3l021
05-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Thief. - rep points.

Shiver
05-02-2007, 11:05 PM
That's tantamount to shooting Superman with a 9MM. Do your worst!

d34ng3l021
05-02-2007, 11:10 PM
You make me sick.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-19-2007, 06:27 PM
How's JSnell doing?

iloxygenil
05-19-2007, 09:37 PM
No word yet Ghetto, but it's expected that he will be our short yardage guy.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-19-2007, 09:42 PM
No word yet Ghetto, but it's expected that he will be our short yardage guy.

That's good to hear, he's better than Justin Griffith so he should replace him well. Ovie is a top tier blocker but very unnatural carrying the ball.

scar988
05-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Pick 39: Justin Blaylock

I shall add my opinions later.
hmmm I'll go down the list:
Anderson - love the pick... fits our scheme and should be a force on the left side similar to Julius Peppers once he fully develops.
Blalock - a steady LG who will be a 10 year LG for us.
Houston - lock down CB and worth the pick and move of Williams
Robinson - um... idk about this one still. at worst he is a #4 and a deep threat for us.
Nicholas - should be good depth and could eventually be like our Boley pick.
Milner - #2 TE. better blocker than given credit for. with better hands could be a solid starter at TE
Lewis - he could start at NT if Jackson is gone. very big and very good against the run. should be a good backup at worst.
Irons - nickel/dime back and should be a solid one for us. reminds me of Kevin Mathis
Datish - future at C. will be a long timer the way Tom Nalen was in Denver
Stone - hard hitter and good in coverage. could be a surprise at SS for us should Milloy go down and be like a Roy Williams for us.
Snelling - at worst he's the backup FB. at best he is our power back.
overall - we got great value at every pick and should have a solid class for both this year and in the future.
B+

Chris30277
05-21-2007, 11:47 AM
This was really the worst case scenario for us. Once Levi Brown, and LaRon Landry were both off the board, I just knew we were going to pick up Anderson. I am not saying that this was a bad pick for us, in fact I think it was the best pick for us given the situation. Anderson is a boom or bust type of player, and we wont really know how good of a pick he is until we strap on the pads.

overall: A-

Pick 39: Justin Blalock
I had him here in my mock. I was really happy that the Falcons did not trade up like they originally said they were trying to do. We all knew that we were going to try and add size, and I think this pick had great Value.
overall: A+

I was a bit surprised at this pick, but since Eric Weddle was picked right before this pick by the Chargers, it made a lot of sense. I was half expecting Tony Ugoh, but selecting Houston has been growing on me. All I can say is Houston better be prepared for the onslaught of balls thrown his way. I know we are going to focus more on man coverage this year, but with DHall on the other side, Houston is going to be tested early. I love how physical this guy is, but I just hope he can adjust his game to the NFL so he doesn't cost us a lot of penalties.
overall: A

I had Robinson in my mock too, but I am not going to lie he was going to us in the 5th round in my mock. I got to watch a little bit of film on him, and I read a lot about him. I truly believe he is going to be a major steal. I was extremely happy that we got him.
overall: B

I will be honest, I didn't even know who this guy was. Quincy Black was already off the board, so I figured that we would target H.B. Blades. I remember thinking to myself who the heck is that? From what I have read about him, he is someone that Petrino absolutely loves.
overall: B+

This is one of two picks that I was rather upset about. I love UGA, but I was never really crazy about Milner. Don't get me wrong, I love his athleticism, but he has proved time and time again that he cannot be trusted as a receiving threat. To make matters worse, Ben Patrick (imo a better prospect) was on the board here, and he stayed on the board until the 7th round.
overall: C

This is the other pick that I was not crazy about. I had never heard of the kid, and I didn't even know where Washburn was. I like his measurables , but the level of play is going to be a quantum leap. Mason Crosby and John Wendling were both still on the board here. I would have much rather drafted Wendling then signed the other DT that we liked in UDFA.
overall: C

This is great value here I had no idea that he was still on the board. I was surprised to see his name and very happy.

I had similar feelings on this pick. Like I said above, I had no idea that He was still on the board, and when I saw his name flash across my tv, and realized that he was also a LS, so he could not only backup McClure, but save us a roster spot, I was really happy!
I know nothing about this kid, but his measurable are great. Looking at his highlights, it looks like he is a sure tackler and he will be an outstanding special team player for us.
overall: B

I really hope that Snelling turns out to be the big bruiser that we are hoping for. I wasn't expecting much from this pick, but hopefully this kid comes into the league with a chip on his shoulder and proves everyone wrong.
overall B-