PDA

View Full Version : My 2007 NFL Draft Thoughts

Shiver
04-30-2007, 12:46 AM
Well, it has been too long since I've done one of these. So without further ado, onto the pondering.

Prediction: Levi Brown will be the best OT from this draft.

I trust Russ Grimm. Many people screamed "REACH" when this pick was made. I actually expected, and approve of it. First of all, it isn't a reach because Atlanta would've taken him three picks later. A lot of sources, such as Rick Gosselin, had him as a top-10 overall player anyway. Also, supposedly the majority of O-Line coaches prefer Brown over Thomas. They see a player who has great strength, and explosion. Of course this judgment is predicated on the ego of all O-Line coaches. They think they can turn this guy into a stud Left Tackle. In this case; I think Russ Grimm can actually do it.

The South Shall Rise Again

The NFC South, in general, had a fantastic draft. Carolina and Atlanta are both acclaimed in general, by the analysts for their respective draft classes.

Carolina - This team deserves a lot of credit for a phenomenal day-1, grabbing four talented players with great value. Jon Beason is a player I really liked, he is a nice addition, especially because Dan Morgan may be forced out of the league due to his injuries. I am not a fan of Dwayne Jarrett, but if he is going to succeed, it will be with Keyshawn Johnson being his mentor. Ryan Kalil will be a pro-bowl caliber ZBS center. Charles Johnson was a good value.

Atlanta - They also had a great draft. All of their first three picks should immediately jump into the starting lineup. Justin Blalock has the ability to be a impact player right away. He has everything you could want from a Guard; strength, intelligence, durability, versatility. Chris Houston allows Jimmy Williams to move to his natural position, improving the secondary in two ways. He, and DeAngelo Hall, are ideal for Mike Zimmer's preference for corners. They added depth, youth, all over the roster. Something that was desperately needed.

Tampa Bay - They didn't make any 'flashy' picks. Both them, and Atlanta, could've bit the bullet and trade up for Calvin Johnson. Both teams made the correct decision and utilized all their extra picks. Tampa Bay made a lot of underrated, scheme driven, decisions. They completely revamped the aging defensive unit. Adams, while slender in most schemes, is ideal as a weak side DE in a Tampa 2. Sabby Piscitelli reminds many people of other successful Strong Safeties in the scheme. Tanard Jackson is a typical Cover 2 corner that falls in the draft.

New Orleans - I think this team should be concerned. Atlanta, Tampa Bay, and Carolina were already talented. They just faced several issues such as injuries, and overall inconsistency, that opened the door for the Saints run in the division. Their draft focused too much on the offense. Everyone already knew their offense was going to be great. They did nothing to adequately improve their defense. It is very possible that they have to win shoot-outs all year. They can get away with it, like other teams like Indianapolis, Cincinnati, but it will be hard.

Any way you cut it, this division will be ultra competitive. I do not think it would be appropriate to anoint any clear cut favorite.

The First and Only Take on the Brady Quinn/Ted Ginn Jr. Situation

They had been whispers of it for a while now, yet everyone acted surprised when Brady Quinn fell like a rock on Saturday. Minnesota committed to Tavaris Jackson last year. Miami not being interested was unexpected. However; a lot of NFL people just did not like Brady Quinn's game. As for Miami's decision to by pass Quinn. I have no problem with it. I think John Beck very well may be a very good starting QB. The problem is who they took instead. I will get to that later.

Some Guy Named Randy Moss Got Traded

I think the Patriots made out like bandits, again. They've done it several times before. They take someone else's trouble, and turns the disgruntled player into a great addition for the team. Randy Moss, in his new situation with a top flight QB and HC to keep him in line, will return to his old form. Back when he was the most dangerous offensive weapon in football. All of the sudden, Tom Brady finally has the weapons he has never had before, and that is a scary notion.

Devil's Advocate

To some people, Matt Millen is literally the Devil incarnate. In this case; I feel Matt Millen, influenced by Mike Martz, made the correct decision to draft Calvin Johnson. I don't care what the media says. I am a believer in the "B.P.A" philosophy. When you have the best player on the board, you don't pass on him, or trade away his rights for loose change. The Lions couldn't get either of the teams to trade up equal to the value chart. The situation echoes the Saints of last year. They already had Deuce McAllister, so logic would dictate they would do anything to trade down to New York and add a player of a bigger need. The Lions added a impact player, and filled their other needs later on. That is how you should do it. Whether or not it leads to success, that's to be determined. Still, I respect them for having the "cahones" to stick to their guns, take the player they graded highest, and ignore the critics.

Yes! This Forum Needs More NFC East Coverage

The actions of two teams impel me to rant:

Washington's philosophy "grinds my gears" like none other. There is a reason they have not been a good football team under Dan Snyder. You build teams via the draft. Teams like Indianapolis, Chicago, etcetera, are all built by crafty general managers, selecting good players in the draft. The Redskins' defense needed a lot. Yet, because they auctioned off all of their picks, they were able to add Laron Landry, and that's it. I love Landry as a prospect, and he will help. But they could have used a lot more help on the D-Line.

Philadelphia had me scratching my head. They'd better hope Kevin Kolb turns out as well as the last small school QB, who had a last name that's pronunciation was nothing like it's spelling. Otherwise, I don't get it. McNabb has had injury issues, granted. Kolb will only help the team three, or so, years down the line. The only pick I liked was the Tony Hunt pick. Finally they made a consciouses decision to add a big power back, to contrast all the small backs they have.

Rookie of the Year Picks

These are ultimately, well, perfunctory. Well, I pretty much have to put my two cents in.

Offense: Marshawn Lynch will win the O.R.O.T.Y. He is in a perfect situation. Steve Farchild's offense borrows heavily from Mike Martz. Lynch will be used as a dual-threat back, with little competition for touches. You have a combination of talent, scheme fit, and he guarantee he will immediately contribute.

Defense: Anthony Spencer will win the D.R.O.T.Y. Wade Phillips' scheme is predicated on the pass rush provided by it's OLB/DE hybrids. He blitzes them relentlessly. Both Spencer, and Ware, will have plenty of opportunities to rush the passer. Having both will prevent teams from singling in on either of them. Defensive stats will be plentiful. He has a big market to gain notoriety.

It's the thought that counts...

Here are a few teams I thought could have done a better job with individual picks in the '07 draft:

Tennessee Titans take Chris Henry, RB, Arizona - This is an example of the fact that many people criticize. Some teams put way too much into workout numbers. Here is a player who looks the part, runs a 4.4 at 230-lbs. Unfortunately he only managed 3.3 YPC in a conference (Pac-10) that isn't exactly known for defensive stalwarts. I think they should have jumped on Steve Smith, to help out Vince Young, and give Norm Chow one of his guys. LenDale is iffy, no doubt. They just should have gone a different direction at the position, if anything.

Miami Dolphins select Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio State - Ted Ginn Jr. is a player I simply am not thrilled with. They took a developmental receiver, who is a returner, with a top-10 pick. That is a bit absurd. Apparently "sure" hands are not high on the Dolphins team priority list. Chambers has dropped more passes this decade than any other receiver, I imagine. Then they've now taken two rookies, Ginn and Hagan, who don't have great hands either.

Cincinnati Bengals select Kenny Irons, RB, Auburn - The team has a bevy of defensive needs. Yet, they take a Running Back. I'm not high on Irons either. Rudi Johnson, Chris Perry, are sufficient enough to hold off on a RB pick too early. I just don't see how he will help this team, that is on the verge, take it to the next level.

New Orleans Saints select Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee - I like Meachem. I just don't like this pick. New Orleans has plenty of weapons. They were in a prime position to add a impact defensive player. Branch, Posluszny, Houston, for example. They have enough weapons at WR, with Colston, Henderson, Bush, Cooper, not to mention the draft is deep at WR. You have to go defense in this situation.

Last, but not least...

I figured it would be fitting for the topic that discusses the Oakland Raiders, the team with the first pick, be the last paragraph. I was very impressed with Al Davis' work this year. He has been much maligned. They took a franchise QB, something that has been a long time coming. They sufficiently filled all of their needs. Now they just need to wait will their youth on offense matures. Another thing they have done well is sign mid-range free agents that fit their scheme. Justin Griffith, Dominic Rhodes, Jeremy Newberry, for example. Jerry Porter has already come out in full support of the new coaching staff, so it's like they added a whole new player. I think this team is on it's way up, which is a refreshing change of direction for them.

diabsoule
04-30-2007, 01:23 AM
As always, a very insightful write-up as well as a fun read.

A few thoughts of mine on the draft:

NFC "Dirty" South

While many praise the AFC West and NFC East as some of the toughest divisions in football, the three underachieving teams last year in the NFC South just went out and had a hell of a draft.

Atlanta's draft was absolutely terrific in every way possible. Adding an impact DE in Jammal Anderson in the first round, an outstanding OG in the second round in Justin Blalock, and then the play-making CB Chris Houston in the second as well. The only first day pick I'm not too fond of is Laurent Robinson but after making out like bandits with the first three picks, I can overlook that pick.

Late round selections I like: OLB Stephen Nicholas, David Irons, Doug Datish, Daren Stone. Overall a fantastic draft by the Dirty Birds.

Carolina also had a great draft. They needed LB help so they draft one of the best available in Jon Beason. They need help at WR so they get a steal in Dwayne Jarrett with their 2nd Round pick. They need to keep Delhomme off his butt so they draft Kalil. This is another team which had a great draft.

Late round picks I liked: Tim Shaw, C.J. Wilson.

Tampa Bay had an above average draft. I loved the Gaines Adams pick as well as the Arron Sears selection. Piscatelli is a decent selection as well. I still don't think this team did enough to compete but they should be stronger this year than they were last year.

Late round picks I liked: Quincy Black, Tanard Jackson.

New Orleans probably had the worst draft out of all the NFC South. While they concentrated on defense in the offseason, they completely failed to capitalize on some of the outstanding players that were available at their selections. The only pick I like by the Saints in their whole entire draft is Andy Alleman. I think Sean Payton is trying to build the Saints into the Colts of a few years ago. All offense and no defense.

Late round selections I like: Jermon Bushrod. I don't know where's he's going to play since we have both OT positions locked up and we drafted Zach Strief last year. The Saints UDFA signings have been more exciting than the actual draft with them signing QB Tyler Palko and WR Rhema McKnight.

Colt 45!

The Indianapolis Colts had a tremendous draft, in my opinion. They lost their two starting cornerbacks but picked up Daymeion Hughes and Michael Coe, two guys who fit their scheme perfectly. They need DT help so they draft Quinn Pitcock. Anthony Gonzales will take the role of Brandon Stokely which makes that offense more dangerous. Tony Ugoh surprised me but Tony Dungy knows what he's doing in the draft and he also knows he needs to protect Peyton Manning so he drafts Tarik Glenn's eventual replacement.
This was another team who had a tremendous draft.

George Washington Would Be Proud

Once again, the Patriots have a very good draft. And once again they get a steal of a trade when they acquired Randy Moss over the weekend. Moss will be kept in line by the high class players in the franchise and gives Tom Brady the speedy weapon he's always needed. As if the Patriots weren't good enough already by their additions in free agency, they get better with Moss.
Add in Brandon Meriweather, and a man who I think is a terrific fit for the Pats in Oscar Lua, and the boys from Chowdaland will win another ring.

Slap Your Forehead Moves

"With the ninth selection overall in the 2007 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select Ted Ginn Jr..." -- Probably the biggest "huh?" move of the day.

"With the sixteenth selection in the 2007 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select Justin Harell..." -- Ted Thompson decided to see how far out his arm could reach on this one.

"With the twenty-seventh selection in the 2007 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select Robert Meachem..." -- While the front office seems to know what they are doing, I did not think that wide receiver was that big of a need especially when Greg Olsen, Chris Houston, and Paul Posluszny are still on the board. I dropped my beer when I heard this pick.

The "WTF" Award Goes To..."

The Philadelphia Eagles. They foolishly release Garcia in the offseason and then trade out of the first round to the second to select... Kevin Kolb? Andy Reid must have had a cheesesteak in his mouth when he told the guys downstairs who he wanted.

There's Gold In Them Thar Heels!

The San Francisco 49ers are building a powerful team. They were vastly improved last year and this year they load up on talent again. They got a steal of a trade when they acquired WR Darrell Jackson for a 4th Rounder.
They also draft Patrick Willis to play next to Manny Lawson. They get Joe Staley to be their future left tackle. They give Alex Smith another weapon with Jason Hill. They also bring in underrated Jay Moore as well as Tarell Brown who should stay in line with Mike Singletary and Mike Nolan there. DE Ray McDonald was also added and if he can stay healthy will provide them with another threat off the corner.
All of this on top of signing Nate Clements, Tully Banta-Cain, Ashley Lelie, and Aubrayo Franklin.

Shiver
04-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Wow, nice. I think we agree on a lot of points. Either way there is a lot to digest in this thread.

DraftMichaelHuff
04-30-2007, 01:59 AM
The "WTF" Award Goes To..."

The Philadelphia Eagles. They foolishly release Garcia in the offseason and then trade out of the first round to the second to select... Kevin Kolb? Andy Reid must have had a cheesesteak in his mouth when he told the guys downstairs who he wanted..

-hahaha crack up. i love it when you guys make fun of coaches and GM's Al Davis, Bill Parcells Matt Millen n stuff like that

niel89
04-30-2007, 02:07 AM
i really agree on the Levi Brown and 49ers points. Levi is in my eye the better tackle because of his run blocking. and the 49ers are slowly building up a solid team. they really got some guys in FA to fill in some places and they continue to draft some really solid players. Alex smith got some solid weapons now and will hopefully progress and be able to really take this team to the next level

d34ng3l021
04-30-2007, 02:22 AM
I agree with everything you said. Especially with the Redskins comment. If I were a Redskins fans, I would be estatic about the Landry pick (Godamn. I wanted him so badly) but everything else? No. All the great teams recently have built there teams through the draft, not manipulating the cap to fit as many FAs as possible. This is REALLY going to set the franchise back many years, I think.

I also agree with the comment someone made about the 49ers. Their drafting is really good. They have already started to make their team better through draft picks, and now they continue to do so. Their rise to power is quick...I think they can easily be one of the top teams in the NFC once again in a year or two.

I would add more, but I have finals to study for. :(

Non_Sequitur
04-30-2007, 02:50 AM
If there is an Underrated Move of the Draft, it's the Jets moving up for Revis. It was a great move, and everyone knows it; yet no one is talking about it.

Not that they need to for the Jets to have validation, but it's definitely the underrated move of the draft.

yourfavestoner
04-30-2007, 02:55 AM
Somebody else finally says something about Washington. I've been harping on this all weekend. They traded away their entire draft, and with they draft a freakin' safety for the second time in four years. Not only that, but Landry is simply a smaller version of Taylor. Who the **** is going to play center field?

Geo
04-30-2007, 03:28 AM
That Kolb is the first pick of the Eagles' 07 draft class is going to draw a great deal of attention obviously, and there's certainly a lot of questions that surround that pick/decision, but I wouldn't overlook the rest of the Eagles' Day One picks.

Coming out of Day One with Kevin Kolb, Victor Abiamiri, Stewart Bradley, and Tony Hunt is pretty good no matter what order the picks were made.

diabsoule
04-30-2007, 03:32 AM
That Kolb is the first pick of the Eagles' 07 draft class is going to draw a great deal of attention obviously, and there's certainly a lot of questions that surround that pick/decision, but I wouldn't overlook the rest of the Eagles' Day One picks.

Coming out of Day One with Kevin Kolb, Victor Abiamiri, Stewart Bradley, and Tony Hunt is pretty good no matter what order the picks were made.

I really liked the Abiamiri pick as well as the Hunt pick but the Kevin Kolb pick just made no sense to me, especially with how early they selected a backup QB.

Caddy
04-30-2007, 06:20 AM
How bitter sweet it is that all four teams in the NFC South improved there teams in the present and in the future. It is going to be a great year of competition and I really feel that any team has a chance at winning the division.

New Orleans are obviously the safe bet as of now but if Carolina can get it's defense in order and Delhomme improves, they are a competitor. Vick could potentially flourish under Petrino, the whole season will be based on Vick's play. Tampa are probably favoured to finish 4th again. But if Caddy can go for 1300+ yards and Chris Simms gets some protection Tampa could be in business again.

bsaza2358
04-30-2007, 09:18 AM
I was camping this weekend with a bunch of Redskins fans, and I spent a long time ripping on them for having to take Landry. When the Kolb pick came through, they immediately jeered me for the wasted pick. I was initially angry, but I have been rationalizing the pick for about 36 hours now. I'm upset that the team passed on some very talented players, but the more I read about Kolb's actual skills, the more "okay" I have become with the pick. I still think they could have taken him later and gotten Weddle as well, but there's nothing that can be done about it now.

bigbluedefense
04-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Its amazing how similar my thoughts are with Shivers.

I too feel that Levi Brown is the better Tackle in this draft. Ive been saying that for months, and I agree wholeheartedly with that statement.

I agree that Miami made a huge mistake taking Ginn, but I disagree on your assessment of Quinn. To me, Quinn is easily the best qb from this draft. Followed by Beck. Yes, Ive said it before and I'll say it again, Quinn is the best qb from this class, Beck is the 2nd best. But even Beck isn't in the same league as Quinn.

I disagree on Russell. He'll be a bust imo. Im not impressed by him at all.

NFC South had a great draft. Arizona had a killer draft too. It should be noted that Jacksonville had a great draft. The only thing with Jacksonville is...and we'll get our answer during the season, will they regret passing on Quinn? Just last year they benched Leftwich to see if they were better without him, so they can't be THAT high on him. Passing Quinn could be a huge mistake.

Not only is the Landry pick by Washington dumb in terms of schematics, but also in terms of money. They have top 6 pick money invested in both safety positions. Theres no way you can keep both of these guys long term in the salary cap era. That is simply too much money invested at safety. Now they will lose one or the other after 4 years, and theyre gonna look back and regret this day.

Not to mention Landry isn't exactly the centerfielder type that would compliment Taylor. Theyre very similar players. They were better off getting a Merriweather/Nelson type to compliment Taylor. Bad move.

It can still work in terms of schematics. I won't go into details now because its a long writeup, but it can definately work. But think long term, theres no way they keep both Landry and Taylor long term. Unless they make major cuts in other areas of their team.

portermvp84
04-30-2007, 09:38 AM

I do agree with that but, why Kevin Kolb in the second why not take a chance on Trent Edwards?

bsaza2358
04-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Kolb's short-medium accuracy and ability to make quick reads was coveted by Reid and the Eagles for the West Coast scheme. Per the Eagles website and press conference notes, Kolb's work ethic, board work, and ability to understand, digest, and process info was impressive. They had him as the #3 player on the board and I think #34 overall.

bigbluedefense
04-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Kolb's short-medium accuracy and ability to make quick reads was coveted by Reid and the Eagles for the West Coast scheme. Per the Eagles website and press conference notes, Kolb's work ethic, board work, and ability to understand, digest, and process info was impressive. They had him as the #3 player on the board and I think #34 overall.

While I don't really like the pick, it also does give them leverage against McNabb, who has been a major premadonna the past 3 years.

It still hurts that in such a talented WR class, they came out with none of them. You couldn't go wrong drafting a WR in the first 3 rounds of this draft. And Philly got nobody.

Stallworth when healthy was such a great addition to that offense, if they were able to come out of this draft with a high caliber WR, that wouldve done wonders for their already great offense. They have the oline, they have the rb, they have the TE, they just needed one more WR to make them deadly.

Other than that, solid draft. I just think they laid an egg not getting a WR or Merriweather with their first pick.

bsaza2358
04-30-2007, 10:05 AM
To be fair, no one foresaw Tennessee crapping the bed and taking Griffin when they needed offensive playmakers. If Tennessee had taken a WR there, they would have left Griffin, Merriweather, and Nelson on the board. That would have likely meant Griffin on the board for the Eagles at #26. At that point, they would have had to take the remaining safety. Of course, without the trade, the Eagles potentially miss out on Abiamiri, Bradley, or Hunt. They wouldn't have gotten 2 of those 3.

Yes, not taking a WR was a bit of a puzzle, but I wasn't sold on the team having to draft that position. The Eagles got good production from Baskett and Brown last season, also drafted Jason Avant, and they signed Kevin Curtis in the offseason to replace Stallworth. You also can't discount the impact of LJ Smith as a receiver at TE. The offense was plenty explosive even without Stallworth. Adding Curtis and developing Avant and Baskett makes up for this potential issue.

constant cough
04-30-2007, 10:50 AM
I think you're all wrong about New Orleans. Saints needed a WR after losing Joe Horn. Colston is only in his 2nd year, Henderson will never be a #1 and Cooper is in his 30s.

I'm also don't worried about the Falcons,Panthers or Bucs I don't think their draft classes were all that you're making them out to be.

tomh1991
04-30-2007, 11:15 AM
I think you're all wrong about New Orleans. Saints needed a WR after losing Joe Horn. Colston is only in his 2nd year, Henderson will never be a #1 and Cooper is in his 30s.

I totally agree with u on this one. WR is a need for New Orleans after Horn's departure. Meachem is a good replacement and should form a good duo with Colston.

I'm also don't worried about the Falcons,Panthers or Bucs I don't think their draft classes were all that you're making them out to be.

I disagree with u on this one. I think the Falcons and Panthers had quite a good draft. Falcons replaced Kerney with a player with a whole lot of potential in Jamaal Anderson (Not to mention he is physically gifted) and solidified their Oline with Blalock. Meanwhile the panthers replaced Morgan with a good linebacker in Beason and got 2 steals in Dwayne Jarrett and Charles Johnson.

Shiver
04-30-2007, 02:19 PM

Granted, however this is a deep WR class. They could have held off on a WR pick, and added one of the premier defenders still on the board.

Almost every single analyst has the Panthers and Falcons as having great drafts. Both of those teams weren't that far off last year, anyway.

Shiver
04-30-2007, 02:23 PM
BBD; the only thing we disagree on is Jamarcus Russell. I think me and Toonster have been the most pro-Russell of anyone on the board.

diabsoule
04-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Its amazing how similar my thoughts are with Shivers.

I too feel that Levi Brown is the better Tackle in this draft. Ive been saying that for months, and I agree wholeheartedly with that statement.

I agree that Miami made a huge mistake taking Ginn, but I disagree on your assessment of Quinn. To me, Quinn is easily the best qb from this draft. Followed by Beck. Yes, Ive said it before and I'll say it again, Quinn is the best qb from this class, Beck is the 2nd best. But even Beck isn't in the same league as Quinn.

I disagree on Russell. He'll be a bust imo. Im not impressed by him at all.

NFC South had a great draft. Arizona had a killer draft too. It should be noted that Jacksonville had a great draft. The only thing with Jacksonville is...and we'll get our answer during the season, will they regret passing on Quinn? Just last year they benched Leftwich to see if they were better without him, so they can't be THAT high on him. Passing Quinn could be a huge mistake.

Not only is the Landry pick by Washington dumb in terms of schematics, but also in terms of money. They have top 6 pick money invested in both safety positions. Theres no way you can keep both of these guys long term in the salary cap era. That is simply too much money invested at safety. Now they will lose one or the other after 4 years, and theyre gonna look back and regret this day.

Not to mention Landry isn't exactly the centerfielder type that would compliment Taylor. Theyre very similar players. They were better off getting a Merriweather/Nelson type to compliment Taylor. Bad move.

It can still work in terms of schematics. I won't go into details now because its a long writeup, but it can definately work. But think long term, theres no way they keep both Landry and Taylor long term. Unless they make major cuts in other areas of their team.

I agree with all of your points. I too thought that Quinn was the best QB in the draft and I also believe that Russell will be a bust.

As far as the Kevin Kolb selection is concerned: I think you need to look at the tradition of University of Houston QB's and their high bust factor in the NFL. It was an extremely risky move by the Eagles and one that I think they will regret.

bsaza2358
04-30-2007, 02:57 PM
diab, I don't think you can look at 2 first round bust QB's in the last 10-15 years and proclaim that every QB from that school will be a bust. That's like saying "Byron Leftwich and Chad Pennington are solid starting QB's, and both came from Marshall. All Marshall QB's are solid, potentially pro bowl QB's." Kolb could end up doing nothing, but that's not a guarantee. He played in a spread offense out of the shotgun, but his arm accuracy and decisionmaking are very solid. He translates well as a WCO QB. I look at the Eagles track record of drafting and developing QB's (McNabb, Feeley), and their usually solid draft record since Andy Reid and Banner took over, and I give the team the benefit of the doubt for the time being. Risky move? Absolutely. Am I happy about the pick with other talent on the board? Hell no! Can anyone call Kolb or any other player a bust when there has been no training camp or any other time spent yet? Way too early.

PalmerToCJ
04-30-2007, 03:02 PM
As for the Bengals taking Irons, I understand the confusion around it but here's why...

There wasn't much there for defensive talent, I think David Harris or Justin Durant would've been the pick however they both went just before our pick. So staying with the BPA theory that our FO preaches Irons got the pick.

Chris Perry is likely to start the season off on the PUP list for the 2nd straight year. Next season he's a UFA and to be honest he won't be worth the risk of re-signing for the amount of money he's likely to get. So it was inevitable a backup RB would have to be picked (Marvin likes 2 RB systems), so granted our needs don't lie on offense at all but there just wasn't anyone worthy of the value at that spot for our defense. Rudi carried the entire load last year and defenses just got used to him out there, there was zero change of pace and Rudi isn't really a homerun threat from the backfield. The pick is a C- for need but the BPA helps it. I have comfort in it given I was terrified of Rudi getting hurt next year for a decent amount of time, Quincy Wilson would likely be our starting RB....

Also Rashad Jeanty and Ahmad Brooks developed well last year, Brooks especially should be a big impact guy this year. The team is also in the process of signing Ed Hartwell as a backup.

So in the draft we addressed needs at SS, CB and LB (if you count the comp. pick of Brooks). Also a sleeper DT that can be developed into a potential starter for '08 while we already have a future starter in Domata Peko. DE wasn't going to be addressed given we have Robert Geathers with a big contract and last year spent a 3rd rounder on Frostee Rucker who the coaches/players rave about.

Notredameleo
04-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the Lions love!!!

Flyboy
04-30-2007, 05:43 PM
BBD; the only thing we disagree on is Jamarcus Russell. I think me and Toonster have been the most pro-Russell of anyone on the board.

Not true. I'm a Russell homer as well.

Shiver
05-01-2007, 02:10 AM
Actually I think most of the pro-Cutler crowd from '06, just moved unto Russell this past year. All the Leinart supporters, likewise, moved to Quinn. Basically the same debate is occurring every year, using the same arguments, just with different prospects.

locseti
05-01-2007, 02:12 AM
Actually I think most of the pro-Cutler crowd from '06, just moved unto Russell this past year. All the Leinart supporters, likewise, moved to Quinn. Basically the same debate is occurring every year, using the same arguments, just with different prospects.

So using this logic, Russell will definitely be better.

Shiver
05-01-2007, 02:14 AM
I know I think so.

diabsoule
05-01-2007, 03:05 AM

Not true. I loved Cutler last year as a QB and this year I loved Quinn. I think I might be the lone exception.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-01-2007, 03:11 AM

I don't think the differences are always as dynamic as it was with Leinart and Cutler. Quinn is far from Leinart, and the only real reason they are similar is because Russell still manages to have much better arm strength.

There's always a quarterback contrversy, but it's not always the top intangible passer with a average arm vs. big armed slinger.

Shiver
05-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Not always. Even if they aren't very comparable, I was still debating against the same people I was debating in '06. It was the usual suspects backing Quinn, the same ones who liked Leinart. Meanwhile a lot of the Jay Cutler conglomerate moved onto Jamarcus Russell. Both unconsciously, and naturally made up their minds.

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Not always. But it struck me, this past year I was debating the same people, and we were recycling arguments from '06, almost verbatim.

I think the difference however is that last year, it was Leinart with the all star cast and Cutler with the mediocre talent around him.

This year it was Quinn with mediocre talent, and Russell with star talent.

Shiver
05-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Quinn had the all-star coaching. Besides; Anthony Fasano, Maurice Stovall, Jeff Samardjiza, John Carlson, Ryan Harris, Sam Young, are all at least day-1 talents.

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Quinn had the all-star coaching. Besides; Anthony Fasano, Maurice Stovall, Jeff Samardjiza, John Carlson, Ryan Harris, Sam Young, are all at least day-1 talents.

Russell had both his WRs taken in the 1st round.

Quinn had no WRs even drafted (Shark would be a bust), and his RB went undrafted as well.

Russell also ran a pro style offense remember.

Plus, let's not forget that Russell had an all world defense, whereas Quinn shouldered the responsibility of winning games by himself.

I think Russell rode his Bowl game hype all the way through the draft. Before that game, most didn't even have him rated #2 on their qb list. I honestly don't see the hype.

Shiver
05-01-2007, 12:41 PM

Quinn had no WRs even drafted (Shark would be a bust), and his RB went undrafted as well.

Samarjiza would have been one. Stovall went in the 3rd round last year. Fasano and Carlson are both great Tight Ends.

Even so; he was a year behind the curve, at the least.

Plus, let's not forget that Russell had an all world defense, whereas Quinn shouldered the responsibility of winning games by himself.

He also faced tougher defenses, in the SEC, without the benefit of a competent running game.

I think Russell rode his Bowl game hype all the way through the draft. Before that game, most didn't even have him rated #2 on their qb list. I honestly don't see the hype.

I know that isn't true. Because I knew when I watched him as a Sophomore, he had otherworldly physical abilities. I've been enamored with him since the LSU/Auburn game of '05. As a Junior he put up a 7:2 TD/INT ratio, 68% completion percentage, in the SEC. He showed considerable, gradual, improvement in his game. When Tom Martinez, the QB Guru who mentored Tom Brady into what he is today, sung the praises of Russell that sold me.

diabsoule
05-01-2007, 12:43 PM

Very convincing argument. It is actually very hard to argue with your points and was not like I was going to try and do so anyway since I agree with you on all of them.

Even this year, after all the dust had settled, and Russell emerged as the #1 QB on most draft boards, I still had him ranked fairly low. As far as watching Russell in LSU games the point can be made over and over again how deficient he is when trying to lead his team to come from behind victories. The leadership just is not there for him to live up to the #1 QB drafted in the '07 Draft tag which he will have his whole career. Another reason why I do not believe he will be successful is that he was drafted by a franchise that has a mediocre at best offensive line. Quinn, as far as I'm concerned, exhibits the leadership and smarts it takes to be a very successful pro QB, especially now that he is playing behind a Cleveland Brown line that has some very good talent along it.

I digress, however, as before the draft there were countless Russell/Quinn debates and this thread should not turn into another one.

P-L
05-01-2007, 12:48 PM

I completely disagree. We talk about which receiver was drafted in which round and so on, but that really doesn't change much. Even if you think Samardjiza would've been a bust, it doesn't change the fact that he would've been a late 1st or early 2nd Round pick this year. It's been acknowledged that Russell had the better receivers. However, Quinn had the better running game and OL at Notre Dame. I don't really buy the defense argument either. The defense, or lack there of, might have put a little more pressure on Quinn to win games, but it didn't drastically affect his play. You say that Russell played in a pro style offense, but so did Quinn. You can't get more of a pro style offense than what Charlie Weis ran at Notre Dame. The thing I disagree with the most is that Russell rode the post Bowl game hype. A lot of people were surprised by Russell's emergence due to the lack of nationally televised LSU games. Our very own Scott Wright had JaMarcus Russell as the #2 QB in late November. By mid-December, Scott mocked Russell in the top 10 overall. By late December there were already grumblings that Russell could overtake Quinn as the #1 QB. The Sugar Bowl sealed the deal for Russell, but I really don't think he came out of nowhere.

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Very true, let's not sabatoge this thread into another debate.

I think it all comes down to your preference. I like intangibles more than physical ability. Others like physical ability and hope the guy can develop the mental side of the game. It depends on what you like. If youre a gambler, you roll the dice on physical ability.

diabsoule
05-01-2007, 01:04 PM

I think it all comes down to your preference. I like intangibles more than physical ability. Others like physical ability and hope the guy can develop the mental side of the game. It depends on what you like. If youre a gambler, you roll the dice on physical ability.

I just noticed the comment in your sig "Instincts>Speed". That's awesome. You and I seem to have a good deal in common as far as the type of players that we like and what we look for in a prospect.

Shiver
05-01-2007, 01:06 PM

Bah! You just wanted to move on before I got Toonster in here.

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 01:11 PM
I just noticed the comment in your sig "Instincts>Speed". That's awesome. You and I seem to have a good deal in common as far as the type of players that we like and what we look for in a prospect.

Definately, I like big strong guys, guys who are instinctive, leaders, study film, smart etc. To me, its more important to be smart and instinctual than fast.

Basically, the NE approach. Guys like Weddle, Poz, Demeco Ryans, DeOssie, Kiwanuka, Ramirez, etc.

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Bah! You just wanted to move on before I got Toonster in here.

I aint scurred....

:)

Shiver
05-01-2007, 01:15 PM
I've seen Toonster write an essay about why 300 wasn't a good movie!

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 01:16 PM

Lol, I would not doubt that at all.

I don't think theres anything at all that you can't have a discussion with Toon about.

Geo
05-01-2007, 01:33 PM
I echo BBD's concerns about intangibles between Russell and Quinn. There's no doubt that Russell has the superior physical tools, but I don't see "it" in him like I do with Quinn. And given the choice, I'll take Quinn's decision-making as well.

That's not to say that I think Russell is an absolute bust and a waste of a pick, anything like that, but I think the potential is there. Just like the potential is there to be a great quarterback.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Let's just say that both have the potential to get things done, but there are questions about protection, offensive design, and weapons to throw to on both sides. I think the success for each QB will come down to hard work, coaching, and luck. I like both for different reasons. I see no reason why both cannot be successful in the NFL.

Shiver
05-01-2007, 01:44 PM
I don't like Brady Quinn. I think he is just another media darling, whose actual abilities have been inflated by perception. Just like Joey "Heisman" Harrington, Eli Manning, Matt Leinart. That doesn't mean he will be bad, but I agree with the Dolphins, I don't think he's a "franchise" QB.

Geo
05-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Mind you, the same Dolphins franchise that chose Daunte Culpepper over Drew Brees. The same Dolphins franchise that hasn't hit on a great quarterback in years despite numerous attempts.

Shiver
05-01-2007, 01:54 PM
That was the Saban coaching staff. I'm pretty sure Cam Cameron would have chosen Drew Brees...

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 02:02 PM
I'll take the guy I can rely on to make the right read over the guy who can throw it deep any day. Thats why I personally have Beck rated ahead of Russell, but whatever.

So far Ive been wrong about Vince Young, although Im still not sold on him as a passer.

Only time will tell. I hate the qb position anyway. If I were ever a coach, Id try to minimize its necessity as much as possible, by building around defense and the run game. As long as I have a guy that can make smart decisions for me, thats good enough.

Ward
05-01-2007, 02:22 PM
I don't think it's a coincidence that a thread this intelligent and respectful has almost no mention of the Dallas Cowboys. Just wanted to point that out.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 02:27 PM
This is mostly a Quinn vs. Russell thread. I'm not sure why the LSU and Notre Dame homers haven't really come out in force to wreck it. I feel like college team homers are often much worse than NFL team homers. Weird...

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Let's start up another comparison. Levi Brown vs Joe Thomas.

Discuss.....:)

Jughead10
05-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Levi Brown was reach at #5. A considerable one in my mind too. Levi made a bunch of extra money by the Cardinals being so desperate for Oline help.

Shiver
05-01-2007, 02:39 PM
I don't think it's a coincidence that a thread this intelligent and respectful has almost no mention of the Dallas Cowboys. Just wanted to point that out.

Hey! I did pick Spencer as my D.R.O.T.Y

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 02:39 PM
I think that Thomas has a better all-around game, and he should do well protecting Quinn's blind side. You could argue that Levi Brown was a reach for Arizona at #5 overall, but he filled one of their top needs. Both guys are massive and started 3 years in the Big 10. Both guys move well and seem to work hard. Both should start from Day 1. Brown will likely start at RT and protect Leinert's blind side.

I like Thomas better because he's nastier. I see him as the guy who just kicks arse all day and enjoys contact. I think Levi Brown will keep up because he will be excellently coached by Grimm, but Thomas should have the easier transition.

Jughead10
05-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Hey! I did pick Spencer as my D.R.O.T.Y

I think Spencer is going to bust big time. His game just doesn't translate to the NFL for me.

Shiver
05-01-2007, 02:40 PM
I'll take the guy I can rely on to make the right read over the guy who can throw it deep any day. Thats why I personally have Beck rated ahead of Russell, but whatever.

Russell, as you've already mentioned, played in a pro style offense and completed 68% of his passes in the SEC. Hardly just throwing it deep, but I digress.

scottyboy
05-01-2007, 02:41 PM
i think we could all agree that, after Ross, Ramzee Robinson was the best CB in the draft :)

Shiver
05-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Levi Brown was reach at #5. A considerable one in my mind too. Levi made a bunch of extra money by the Cardinals being so desperate for Oline help.

Not really, because Atlanta would have taken him in a heartbeat at #8. Houston would have probably taken him at #10, at the very latest.

Jughead10
05-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Not really, because Atlanta would have taken him in a heartbeat at #8. Houston would have probably taken him at #10, at the very latest.

I wouldn't have taken Brown in the top 10 at all.

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 02:46 PM
I have a couple of issues with Thomas.

1. He doesn't extend with his arms, and he has short arms for his size
2. He doesn't play strong in pass protection
3. He plays too close to the vest, thats not gonna work in the NFL
4. Alot of his highlights were all holds that weren't called

I like his run blocking, but I don't know if he'll ever be an elite pass blocker. I see alot of Gallery in him, I really do. He'll have a hard time with bullrushers who will overwhelm his close to the vest style. To me, arm length is real important for a LT, and his short arms scare me.

Levi Brown on the other hand, has all the physical talent in the world, but he needs more refinement. I like him more as a LT prospect. I think he can be just as good of a run blocker, with potential to be a much better pass blocker.

Yes he was a reach, but I think when the dust settles, he wont be considered as big of a reach as he's being projected as right now. Just like Whitner last year.

Shiver
05-01-2007, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't have taken Brown in the top 10 at all.

But that doesn't change the fact that he was going in the top-10. So it isn't technically a reach.

Jughead10
05-01-2007, 02:49 PM
But that doesn't change the fact that he was going in the top-10. So it isn't technically a reach.

Well in my mind it is. I still would have tried to trade back somehow. Who knows. Maybe they did.

SaintsMan
05-01-2007, 02:51 PM
The Saints could have used another WR, but that position wasn't a huge need. We went BPA in the draft, taking Meachem who was a mid-first talent slipping to the late-first. Drafting is not always about need, just getting the best players you can on the team, regardless of position. Meachem was the highest rated player on the Saints board, significantly.

Also, the Saints did address the Defense this Off-Season. Maybe they didn't sign Pro Bowl type Defenders, but still upgraded at CB, MLB and S.

Colston is only in his 2nd year, Henderson will never be a #1 and Cooper is in his 30s.

Terrance Copper is 25 years old.

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 02:53 PM
I don't know if Meachem wouldve impacted their team with to the same effect as a guy like Posluszny would.

Jughead10
05-01-2007, 02:56 PM
I just found this thread, and went back and read the first two posts and noticed one thing I disagreed with. I guess I'm in the minority of people who actually liked the Eagles draft. I think they drafted much better than Dallas. This is just my personal opinion based on the quality of player they got in my mind. Dallas may have addressed needs more but I don't think they picked quality players. I'm big on Kolb. And he got in the perfect system. The next three picks were all players I was big on as well, Abiamiri, Hunt, and Bradley.

scottyboy
05-01-2007, 02:58 PM
yes jughead, but letting a division rival trade back into the 1st round?!?!?! thats one of the things that was bad abuot their draft.

Jughead10
05-01-2007, 03:00 PM
yes jughead, but letting a division rival trade back into the 1st round?!?!?! thats one of the things that was bad abuot their draft.

They got a bunch of picks from it though. And I don't think the guy the Cowboys got is that good so it really wouldn't bother me.

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 03:00 PM
I just found this thread, and went back and read the first two posts and noticed one thing I disagreed with. I guess I'm in the minority of people who actually liked the Eagles draft. I think they drafted much better than Dallas. This is just my personal opinion based on the quality of player they got in my mind. Dallas may have addressed needs more but I don't think they picked quality players. I'm big on Kolb. And he got in the perfect system. The next three picks were all players I was big on as well, Abiamiri, Hunt, and Bradley.

The only pick I question is the Kolb pick. Because I feel that they can win games with Feely at qb in case McNabb goes down, so drafting a qb wasn't a necessity, plus in a deep WR class, they came out with nobody, even though theyre one WR away from having arguably the best offense in the league.

For a guy who loves to pass, Im surprised that Reid didn't at the very least look into the WR position in such a deep class of WRs.

Jughead10
05-01-2007, 03:02 PM
The only pick I question is the Kolb pick. Because I feel that they can win games with Feely at qb in case McNabb goes down, so drafting a qb wasn't a necessity, plus in a deep WR class, they came out with nobody, even though theyre one WR away from having arguably the best offense in the league.

For a guy who loves to pass, Im surprised that Reid didn't at the very least look into the WR position in such a deep class of WRs.

If McNabb goes down again for the rest of the season. He is done. Thats just my opinion. If he ever breaks a leg, or tears an ACL again, I can't see him ever having a career in Philly again. Sure Feely could fill in for the remainder of one season. But they got a guy now who will be cheap and signed to probably a 5 or 6 year deal. This guy fits their scheme perfectly, and can be a backup for now but definately has starting potential. Way more than Feely.

scottyboy
05-01-2007, 03:05 PM
they could've had much better value at their 2nd rounder from dallas and the browns. i mean leonard was there(thank god they didnt take him) along with jarret, rice, and durant(as jones was released) also, kolb wasnt the best QB there. Staton and Beck are better QB's IMO and probably even Edwards

DonWoods33
05-01-2007, 03:06 PM
I think that Thomas has a better all-around game, and he should do well protecting Quinn's blind side. You could argue that Levi Brown was a reach for Arizona at #5 overall, but he filled one of their top needs. Both guys are massive and started 3 years in the Big 10. Both guys move well and seem to work hard. Both should start from Day 1. Brown will likely start at RT and protect Leinert's blind side.

I like Thomas better because he's nastier. I see him as the guy who just kicks arse all day and enjoys contact. I think Levi Brown will keep up because he will be excellently coached by Grimm, but Thomas should have the easier transition.

From what I heard Brown is actually the tougher, more physical player. Apparently a lot of guys that played against both said that Brown was out there to really hurt you, whereas Thomas was/is more a of finesse kind of player.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 03:08 PM

Look at the board when the Eagles made that trade. There was no one of legitimate value there for the Eagles. You could say the Poz and Houston and Branch were there, but the Eagles didn't like those guys. All of the top safeties were gone. They would have had to reach to make a pick. All of a sudden, Dallas is there offering more than chart value for the pick for them to move back 10 spots and get an extra first day pick. Why not make that deal? Who cares if it was Dallas? The team got exceptional value to trade out of a pick it didn't want. The team saved itself millions of dollars and plenty of cap room by trading back. Would you have thought more of the draft if it was Indianapolis that traded up? I doubt it. This is an artificial critique, and it makes no sense.

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 03:09 PM
If McNabb goes down again for the rest of the season. He is done. Thats just my opinion. If he ever breaks a leg, or tears an ACL again, I can't see him ever having a career in Philly again. Sure Feely could fill in for the remainder of one season. But they got a guy now who will be cheap and signed to probably a 5 or 6 year deal. This guy fits their scheme perfectly, and can be a backup for now but definately has starting potential. Way more than Feely.

I wonder how McNabb feels about this. Whats lost in all of this is how much of a pompous ass McNabb is. Most of his teammates dislike him, and he's a fake person.

Its no coincidence that so many teammates sided with TO during that whole fiasco.

Jughead10
05-01-2007, 03:09 PM
they could've had much better value at their 2nd rounder from dallas and the browns. i mean leonard was there(thank god they didnt take him) along with jarret, rice, and durant(as jones was released) also, kolb wasnt the best QB there. Staton and Beck are better QB's IMO and probably even Edwards

Stanton is garbage. In my opinion at least. Beck is 26 and Kolb fits the WCO better in my opinion.

I ranked the QBs. Quinn, Russel, Edwards, then Kolb. But Kolb definately fits the system in Philly better than Edwards.

Now the Bills getting Edwards where they did. That was a steal. They say there is no pressure on Losman's job now, but when Edwards gets on the field we will see.

Jughead10
05-01-2007, 03:11 PM
I wonder how McNabb feels about this. Whats lost in all of this is how much of a pompous ass McNabb is. Most of his teammates dislike him, and he's a fake person.

Its no coincidence that so many teammates sided with TO during that whole fiasco.

Eh, if McNabb could stay healthy the Eagles wouldn't have had to take Kolb. It should just motivate him even more to stay in better shape and work that much harder in the film room/weight room/etc.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 03:12 PM
McNabb hasn't played a full season since 2003. Even then, he was significantly dinged with the ankle and hand injuries. McNabb played full seasons in 2000 and 2001, then had the broken fibula in 2002. In 2003-2004, he was injury free, but he was rested at the end of 2004 due to the clinched homefield in Week 13. In 2005, he had the hernia, and in 2006, he had the ACL. Out of 7 seasons as the full time starter, McNabb has played in all 16 games a total of 3. He was healthy in 4 of those 7 seasons. He is now 31 and has had 3 significant surgeries. This is probably his last chance to bounce back. Sportswriters in Philly called McNabb's ACL tear the beginning of the end of his career in Philly. He will always be a great Eagle, but he can't be counted on until he proves otherwise.

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 03:13 PM
I have to say, Philly wasn't nearly as hateable without McNabb in the lineup.

...........Ok, I lied. Screw Philly.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 03:13 PM

Eh, if McNabb could stay healthy the Eagles wouldn't have had to take Kolb. It should just motivate him even more to stay in better shape and work that much harder in the film room/weight room/etc.

I don't care how McNabb feels about it. This is his team for now, but his own inability to stay on the field contributed to the team making this move. Philly is his team and his city, but he needs to stay and play 16 games before he can be trusted fully again. If McNabb played all 16 games in 2006, I guarantee you the Eagles would have thought more before taking Kolb.

scottyboy
05-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Look at the board when the Eagles made that trade. There was no one of legitimate value there for the Eagles. You could say the Poz and Houston and Branch were there, but the Eagles didn't like those guys. All of the top safeties were gone. They would have had to reach to make a pick. All of a sudden, Dallas is there offering more than chart value for the pick for them to move back 10 spots and get an extra first day pick. Why not make that deal? Who cares if it was Dallas? The team got exceptional value to trade out of a pick it didn't want. The team saved itself millions of dollars and plenty of cap room by trading back. Would you have thought more of the draft if it was Indianapolis that traded up? I doubt it. This is an artificial critique, and it makes no sense.

bsaza, there were plenty of more talented players availible. this was sort of a need pick, if you can really call it that. i mean feeley and holcomb are very servicible back ups. i dont really mind the trading down at all, especially since the cowboys got spencer, but there was better talent than Kolb availibe in round 2

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 03:17 PM
bsaza, there were plenty of more talented players availible. this was sort of a need pick, if you can really call it that. i mean feeley and holcomb are very servicible back ups. i dont really mind the trading down at all, especially since the cowboys got spencer, but there was better talent than Kolb availibe in round 2

That is a completely different argument than what you spouted earlier. Your earlier remark was that letting the Cowboys back into round 1 was one of the bigger mistakes they made. Now, you're switching and saying that Kolb was a poor value pick.

I agree with you that the Kevin Kolb selection at #36 overall was confusing and perhaps frustrating. I was very upset to hear about that pick. I have done some research and looked at game film. I see a lot of Matt Hasselbeck in Kolb's game. I think Kolb will need a ton of work to make things happen, but so did MH on the Seahawks under Holmgren. If the Eagles got the next Hasselbeck and also added Abriamiri, Bradley, and Tony Hunt, I'm all for it.

SaintsMan
05-01-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't know if Meachem wouldve impacted their team with to the same effect as a guy like Posluszny would.

I don't see Posluszy being a huge upgrade over Scott Shanle in terms of the impact he would make on our defense. Meachem will be a huge upgrade over Devery Henderson, Terrance Copper and the rest of the wide receivers, minus Marques Colston. Meachem is a very good player with lots of upside, has a strong character and is willing to learn. The same can be said about Poz, although he doesn't have much upside and wasn't the PBA at the 27th spot.

The worse thing you could do is reach for need. If a player you have rated as a 10-18 pick falls to you at 27, it's an easy choice to make.

scottyboy
05-01-2007, 03:20 PM
at first i put it was dumb trading with the cowboys, but i posted again about the kolb pick. honestly, i'm not gonna argue about another teams pick with a fan of that team, b/c i will lose. i dont know as much about the eagles as you do, and probably vice versa for u and the gmen. i hate it when "anaylists" trash the giants a lot, making dumb and false points as they dont completly focus on them as i do.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Listen, Scotty, I'm still not thrilled with the Kolb pick, but I was fine with the move up. Analysts are all hung up on the Eagles letting the Cowboys come back into the first round. They fail to mention that the Cowboys overpaid, and the Eagles didn't like anyone on the board. The savings in cap room and guaranteed money + the extra picks makes it a good deal. Dallas didn't get a slam dunk pick. They got a player who has some value, but he hasn't played much LB and is pretty unfamiliar with the 3-4 D. His impact may be high or may not be. Regardless, the Eagles got, at worst, a tie out of the Cowboys deal.

scottyboy
05-01-2007, 03:29 PM
bsaza, i agree. my first post wasnt thought out at all. you're 100% right as there was no1 there for them in round 1. i just thought the kolb pick was a little off. trust me, i dont want to get in a debate about the eagles with you!

the weird thing is, you're right, dallas did over pay, and to take.. anthony spencer???

diabsoule
05-01-2007, 03:31 PM

Posluszny was the man I wanted when the Saints were on the clock. He would have been the type of linebacker that would have immediately impacted our defense, as well as providing the leadership that great defenses possess. Even though the Saints signed a leader in Brian Simmons this free agency, Puz would have immediately improved the middle linebacker position so that Simmons could have slid over to the weakside where he can make plays and move around. Another excellent choice would have been Greg Olsen who would have given the Saints the extra dimension to their offense which they did not have last season and have not had in a while.
Meachem, while he might have BPA, filled a slight need but not a pressing need like Puz or Olsen would have filled.

__________________________________________________ __________

On the Thomas vs. Brown debate...

Thomas, being selected at No. 3, was a great addition to the Browns. He was a good value at that pick and immediately upgrades their offensive line, especially with the Browns signing Eric Steinbach and already having Kevin Shaffer. As far as what I think about Thomas the player... I think he's a better run blocker than pass blocker, and I do not like his arm extension or pass-blocking technique. I love his nasty demeanor and the way he finishes off his blocks, as well as his ability to get to the second level. The Browns coaches are going to have to really get him to work on his pass blocking, but they supposedly are going to start Thomas out at OG and then move him to LT, which I really like. I do think he was the best offensive tackle available in the draft, but not by much.

While Brown may have been just a slight reach at #5, he filled a huge need for the Cards and will be protecting Matt Leinart's blindside. I love Brown over at right tackle and I think he is going to flourish with Russ Grimm working with him. He's the type of run blocker that the Cards need in order to get the run game going. While I'm not sold on him as a LT in the league, I think he'll be a standout RT. The only thing I don't like about Brown is that he lacks the nastiness that I expect out of offensive linemen, however, he does possess everything else that I look for. He was definitely the second best linemen in the draft and I don't have him ranked that far behind Thomas.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Your first post was mimicking the arguments of Mortensen and Kiper, who really missed the boat on this point. I don't blame you for trusting their expertise. After all, why would ESPN lead you astray? I'm glad you understand my point. My whole arugment was that the trade back itself was a good move by the Eagles. The fact that they took Kolb was irrelevant to that discussion.

scottyboy
05-01-2007, 03:36 PM
yes, and i am very ashamed i mimicked espn :( but they hated teh fact giants didnt pick staley, i know it was scott's pick, but the giants have the same type of project-type LT already in guy whimper. i mean espn kept saying how bad they needed him and how we didnt help eli at all. i say bringing in a athletic #2 TE, another WR, RB(in droughns) and getting some defense that could maybe stop someone could help.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 03:41 PM
I thought Ross was a very solid pick for the Giants. I liked their draft in general. There are some OLine worries, but I think the CB situation warranted attention. There are a lot of position-flexible guys on the Giants roster, and I think they will do okay. It will be a weak spot for them early, but they should shore things up. After all, there's no way that they could possibly have more injuries in 2007 as they did in 2006, right?

DonWoods33
05-01-2007, 03:43 PM
To be honest I am a bit confused as to way the Saints didn't take Alan Branch? Yes he may take some downs off, but a lot of those big guys do. I think he has Sean Gilbert type tools, and could have really taken some heat off their quick but undersized LB's in the middle of the field. Secondarily I am not real impressed with any Tennesee WR's coming out, not much production, and that goes back all the way to the Alvin Harper days.

scottyboy
05-01-2007, 03:47 PM
I thought Ross was a very solid pick for the Giants. I liked their draft in general. There are some OLine worries, but I think the CB situation warranted attention. There are a lot of position-flexible guys on the Giants roster, and I think they will do okay. It will be a weak spot for them early, but they should shore things up. After all, there's no way that they could possibly have more injuries in 2007 as they did in 2006, right?

you're right, i really dont think it's possible. of course it was key players, like if emmons, morton, whitfield(w/o luke hurt) and (wishful thinking) tim lewis got injured last year, it wouldve been a lot better.

also, i think the madden curse should be worn out on mcnabb now :)

(no offense, i still hate the eagles bsaza!!)

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Scotty, it must kill you to hate the Eagles so much, yet you have to simultaneously respect my football knowledge and logic. Takes some getting used to.

scottyboy
05-01-2007, 03:53 PM
ohh i respect your logic trust me. i mean in this conversation i havent randomly typed- EAGLES SUCK!! even though i really think that, i respect you enough not to type it :)

SaintsMan
05-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Posluszny was the man I wanted when the Saints were on the clock. He would have been the type of linebacker that would have immediately impacted our defense, as well as providing the leadership that great defenses possess. Even though the Saints signed a leader in Brian Simmons this free agency, Puz would have immediately improved the middle linebacker position so that Simmons could have slid over to the weakside where he can make plays and move around. Another excellent choice would have been Greg Olsen who would have given the Saints the extra dimension to their offense which they did not have last season and have not had in a while.
Meachem, while he might have BPA, filled a slight need but not a pressing need like Puz or Olsen would have filled.

Olsen is not that big of an upgrade over a healthy Eric Johnson. I've already said how I felt about Poz.

Meachem wasn't just the BPA, he was the PBA by a large margin. It wasn't even close.

To be honest I am a bit confused as to way the Saints didn't take Alan Branch? Yes he may take some downs off, but a lot of those big guys do. I think he has Sean Gilbert type tools, and could have really taken some heat off their quick but undersized LB's in the middle of the field. Secondarily I am not real impressed with any Tennesee WR's coming out, not much production, and that goes back all the way to the Alvin Harper days.

Character issues. I don't think he was even on the Saints draft board, at all. Meaning, they wouldn't even take Branch in the 7th round. A guy with character issues in the 1st is still a guy with character issues in the 7th.

It is true that people can change, Saints co. probably checked into this guy before the draft and didn't like what they saw.

Undersized LB'ers?

OLB, Scott Shanle: 6'2, 245lbs
MLB, Brian Simmons: 6'3, 240lbs
SLB, Scott Fujita: 6'5, 250lbs

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
05-01-2007, 05:23 PM

I could see Toonster writing an essay telling me that I am not here right now, typing this!

And I'd believe him!

Geo
05-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Toonster said on more than one occassion that the Bills would trade their 2nd round pick and their 08 1st round pick for Michael Turner, which was one of the worst things I've read on this site and I said as much each time. I enjoy reading his posts too, but I wouldn't treat them as gospel just yet.

Shiver
05-02-2007, 01:54 AM
Eh, we all have made stupid predictions. I am still trying to forget my "Colts won't win the super bowl" argument.

UK Cards Fan
05-06-2007, 05:59 AM
Not true. I loved Cutler last year as a QB and this year I loved Quinn. I think I might be the lone exception.

I loved Cutler. Really liked Quinn. Lukewarm on Leinart. Hated Russell.

Jay Cutler is nothing like JaMarcus Russell.

NIN1984
05-06-2007, 09:15 AM
The thing that drives me nuts about Anti-Russell people is that they like to use his strong arm as an negative and completely ignore the fact he is an all around good QB, he can do so much more than just throw the deep ball. When I see post like this I canít help but wonder how many LSU games they actually watched.

Shiver
05-06-2007, 03:46 PM
That's the thing. Most people didn't see much of Jamarcus Russell. Whereas they saw Quinn all the time. So there is a tendency to side with the 'known,' as opposed to the unknown.

CC.SD
05-06-2007, 05:34 PM
The Saints were right to pass on Poz, but Meachem? Whatever. I think the right player was Alan Branch.

Actually, I think it won't be long til quite a few teams are saying "Why did we pass on Branch again?" Too many teams with bad run defenses out there.

Shiver
05-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I agree. Either way, I think they should have went defense in round 1.

diabsoule
05-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I agree. Either way, I think they should have went defense in round 1.

Yes, we definitely should have. I think that's one drawback to having such an offensive-minded coach is that he constantly looks to upgrade the offense and makes just enough moves on defense to maintain above-average performance.

Bringing in Brian Simmons and Kevin Kaesviharn were two good moves but they are also up there in years as is most of our defense. We need to start thinking of the future, especially when top-flight defensive prospects are on the board. While we were able to land Walter Thomas (DT) as an UDFA, passing on players like Alan Branch, Paul Posluszny, Marcus McCauley, and others will definitely hurt us in the long run unless next year we draft one of the top LB or DT prospects.

Psycho
05-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Turns out that Quinn was graded closer to the second tier qbs than he was to Russell...

T-RICH49
05-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Actually, I think it won't be long til quite a few teams are saying "Why did we pass on Branch again?" Too many teams with bad run defenses out there.

Who needs a Branch when you can get yourself a Tank :D

SaintsMan
05-07-2007, 02:12 AM
Once again, Alan Branch is not a high character player and has injuy concerns, hence the reason why he fell so far. I don't want another Johnathan Sullivan.

The 1st round of the Draft is for the best player available, you shouldn't reach for a need with much better talent on the board. Later in the Draft, it's a little different as players are graded a lot closer but you still want to stick to the PBA rule.

Robert Meachem wasn't my first choice either, but he was the best player on the board at the 27th spot. Meachem is a mid round talent that slipped to the late first. Harrell went much earlier than he should have, picking Poz and Houston at 27 would have been a reach. Alan Branch was never a consideration, I doubt he was even on the Saints board at all.

As far as Marcus McCauley goes, Saints picked CB, Usama Young with the 66th pick in the 3rd round, McCauley went pick 72 to the Vikings. Obviously, Saints Co. liked Young enough to select him over MC.

Shiver
12-12-2009, 12:55 AM
Well, it has been too long since I've done one of these. So without further ado, onto the pondering.

Prediction: Levi Brown will be the best OT from this draft.

I trust Russ Grimm. Many people screamed "REACH" when this pick was made. I actually expected, and approve of it. First of all, it isn't a reach because Atlanta would've taken him three picks later. A lot of sources, such as Rick Gosselin, had him as a top-10 overall player anyway. Also, supposedly the majority of O-Line coaches prefer Brown over Thomas. They see a player who has great strength, and explosion. Of course this judgment is predicated on the ego of all O-Line coaches. They think they can turn this guy into a stud Left Tackle. In this case; I think Russ Grimm can actually do it.

The South Shall Rise Again

The NFC South, in general, had a fantastic draft. Carolina and Atlanta are both acclaimed in general, by the analysts for their respective draft classes.

Carolina - This team deserves a lot of credit for a phenomenal day-1, grabbing four talented players with great value. Jon Beason is a player I really liked, he is a nice addition, especially because Dan Morgan may be forced out of the league due to his injuries. I am not a fan of Dwayne Jarrett, but if he is going to succeed, it will be with Keyshawn Johnson being his mentor. Ryan Kalil will be a pro-bowl caliber ZBS center. Charles Johnson was a good value.

Atlanta - They also had a great draft. All of their first three picks should immediately jump into the starting lineup. Justin Blalock has the ability to be a impact player right away. He has everything you could want from a Guard; strength, intelligence, durability, versatility. Chris Houston allows Jimmy Williams to move to his natural position, improving the secondary in two ways. He, and DeAngelo Hall, are ideal for Mike Zimmer's preference for corners. They added depth, youth, all over the roster. Something that was desperately needed.

Tampa Bay - They didn't make any 'flashy' picks. Both them, and Atlanta, could've bit the bullet and trade up for Calvin Johnson. Both teams made the correct decision and utilized all their extra picks. Tampa Bay made a lot of underrated, scheme driven, decisions. They completely revamped the aging defensive unit. Adams, while slender in most schemes, is ideal as a weak side DE in a Tampa 2. Sabby Piscitelli reminds many people of other successful Strong Safeties in the scheme. Tanard Jackson is a typical Cover 2 corner that falls in the draft.

New Orleans - I think this team should be concerned. Atlanta, Tampa Bay, and Carolina were already talented. They just faced several issues such as injuries, and overall inconsistency, that opened the door for the Saints run in the division. Their draft focused too much on the offense. Everyone already knew their offense was going to be great. They did nothing to adequately improve their defense. It is very possible that they have to win shoot-outs all year. They can get away with it, like other teams like Indianapolis, Cincinnati, but it will be hard.

Any way you cut it, this division will be ultra competitive. I do not think it would be appropriate to anoint any clear cut favorite.

The First and Only Take on the Brady Quinn/Ted Ginn Jr. Situation

They had been whispers of it for a while now, yet everyone acted surprised when Brady Quinn fell like a rock on Saturday. Minnesota committed to Tavaris Jackson last year. Miami not being interested was unexpected. However; a lot of NFL people just did not like Brady Quinn's game. As for Miami's decision to by pass Quinn. I have no problem with it. I think John Beck very well may be a very good starting QB. The problem is who they took instead. I will get to that later.

Some Guy Named Randy Moss Got Traded

I think the Patriots made out like bandits, again. They've done it several times before. They take someone else's trouble, and turns the disgruntled player into a great addition for the team. Randy Moss, in his new situation with a top flight QB and HC to keep him in line, will return to his old form. Back when he was the most dangerous offensive weapon in football. All of the sudden, Tom Brady finally has the weapons he has never had before, and that is a scary notion.

Devil's Advocate

To some people, Matt Millen is literally the Devil incarnate. In this case; I feel Matt Millen, influenced by Mike Martz, made the correct decision to draft Calvin Johnson. I don't care what the media says. I am a believer in the "B.P.A" philosophy. When you have the best player on the board, you don't pass on him, or trade away his rights for loose change. The Lions couldn't get either of the teams to trade up equal to the value chart. The situation echoes the Saints of last year. They already had Deuce McAllister, so logic would dictate they would do anything to trade down to New York and add a player of a bigger need. The Lions added a impact player, and filled their other needs later on. That is how you should do it. Whether or not it leads to success, that's to be determined. Still, I respect them for having the "cahones" to stick to their guns, take the player they graded highest, and ignore the critics.

Yes! This Forum Needs More NFC East Coverage

The actions of two teams impel me to rant:

Washington's philosophy "grinds my gears" like none other. There is a reason they have not been a good football team under Dan Snyder. You build teams via the draft. Teams like Indianapolis, Chicago, etcetera, are all built by crafty general managers, selecting good players in the draft. The Redskins' defense needed a lot. Yet, because they auctioned off all of their picks, they were able to add Laron Landry, and that's it. I love Landry as a prospect, and he will help. But they could have used a lot more help on the D-Line.

Philadelphia had me scratching my head. They'd better hope Kevin Kolb turns out as well as the last small school QB, who had a last name that's pronunciation was nothing like it's spelling. Otherwise, I don't get it. McNabb has had injury issues, granted. Kolb will only help the team three, or so, years down the line. The only pick I liked was the Tony Hunt pick. Finally they made a consciouses decision to add a big power back, to contrast all the small backs they have.

Rookie of the Year Picks

These are ultimately, well, perfunctory. Well, I pretty much have to put my two cents in.

Offense: Marshawn Lynch will win the O.R.O.T.Y. He is in a perfect situation. Steve Farchild's offense borrows heavily from Mike Martz. Lynch will be used as a dual-threat back, with little competition for touches. You have a combination of talent, scheme fit, and he guarantee he will immediately contribute.

Defense: Anthony Spencer will win the D.R.O.T.Y. Wade Phillips' scheme is predicated on the pass rush provided by it's OLB/DE hybrids. He blitzes them relentlessly. Both Spencer, and Ware, will have plenty of opportunities to rush the passer. Having both will prevent teams from singling in on either of them. Defensive stats will be plentiful. He has a big market to gain notoriety.

It's the thought that counts...

Here are a few teams I thought could have done a better job with individual picks in the '07 draft:

Tennessee Titans take Chris Henry, RB, Arizona - This is an example of the fact that many people criticize. Some teams put way too much into workout numbers. Here is a player who looks the part, runs a 4.4 at 230-lbs. Unfortunately he only managed 3.3 YPC in a conference (Pac-10) that isn't exactly known for defensive stalwarts. I think they should have jumped on Steve Smith, to help out Vince Young, and give Norm Chow one of his guys. LenDale is iffy, no doubt. They just should have gone a different direction at the position, if anything.

Miami Dolphins select Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio State - Ted Ginn Jr. is a player I simply am not thrilled with. They took a developmental receiver, who is a returner, with a top-10 pick. That is a bit absurd. Apparently "sure" hands are not high on the Dolphins team priority list. Chambers has dropped more passes this decade than any other receiver, I imagine. Then they've now taken two rookies, Ginn and Hagan, who don't have great hands either.

Cincinnati Bengals select Kenny Irons, RB, Auburn - The team has a bevy of defensive needs. Yet, they take a Running Back. I'm not high on Irons either. Rudi Johnson, Chris Perry, are sufficient enough to hold off on a RB pick too early. I just don't see how he will help this team, that is on the verge, take it to the next level.

New Orleans Saints select Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee - I like Meachem. I just don't like this pick. New Orleans has plenty of weapons. They were in a prime position to add a impact defensive player. Branch, Posluszny, Houston, for example. They have enough weapons at WR, with Colston, Henderson, Bush, Cooper, not to mention the draft is deep at WR. You have to go defense in this situation.

Last, but not least...

I figured it would be fitting for the topic that discusses the Oakland Raiders, the team with the first pick, be the last paragraph. I was very impressed with Al Davis' work this year. He has been much maligned. They took a franchise QB, something that has been a long time coming. They sufficiently filled all of their needs. Now they just need to wait will their youth on offense matures. Another thing they have done well is sign mid-range free agents that fit their scheme. Justin Griffith, Dominic Rhodes, Jeremy Newberry, for example. Jerry Porter has already come out in full support of the new coaching staff, so it's like they added a whole new player. I think this team is on it's way up, which is a refreshing change of direction for them.

I don't know whether I should be proud or ashamed. It is an interesting read now that we have access to the results almost three years to the date.

Proof positive that being renowned on a football forum doesn't mean jack.

Iamcanadian
12-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Well, it took guts to put your opinion in writing and to post it again a few years later for all to compare. Overall, I think you were more off than on but it was a good read.

vikes_28
12-12-2009, 01:30 AM
I don't know whether I should be proud or ashamed. It is an interesting read now that we have access to the results almost three years to the date.

You may have been off, but to me, this write up was a pretty good one at the time. How can someone seriously analyze the draft accurately right after it happens? For your humbleness, I give you +rep.

Flyboy
12-12-2009, 04:02 AM
Robert Meachem is making A LOT of people eat their words right about now.

bigbluedefense
12-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Ouch, I thought Levi Brown was going to be better than Joe Thomas.

I'm still clinging onto hope that Brady Quinn will be the best qb from this draft class as I emphatically stated at the time, but its looking slim right now. And even if he is, thats not saying much anymore.

At least I was right about Russell. Never liked him.

RealityCheck
12-12-2009, 09:56 AM
This.

The 2007 Draft for me was special because it was the 1st draft I've followed full time.

LonghornsLegend
12-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Yea, great read Shiver. It's interesting to read these things a few years after so we can see a decent size sampling of players at this point. Nobody knows how these guys will pan out 2 days after the draft, all you can judge the teams off of is the value they got for players and how good you think they may end up being.

I think looking back Atlanta or Tampa Bay would of easily traded up to #2 for Calvin and paid whatever price Detroit was asking, I didn't see anything later in their draft picks that would of stopped them from making that deal. Maybe Calvin makes ATL a few games better so they miss out on Matty Ice, but I really liked the idea of him staying home in ATL.

Also, it's not like it was a real good year in general to want a QB no matter who it was. Jury is still out on Quinn, but this year is a prime example of why teams don't take a QB just because they need one.

This was the year Dallas took Spencer over Woodley :( While Spencer has came around pretty well and developed a very good overall game vs the run and pass and coverage so he was well worth trading back for(since he was our guy through the entire process), he's nowhere near the monster at rushing the passer Woodley is. I don't think too many people saw Woodley being that dominant as an edge rusher though, and I had no problem with Spencer at the time.

DeepThreat
12-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Wow, I can't believe people thought JT was a bad pass blocker. Funny how much things change.

Shiver
12-12-2009, 11:56 AM

Well for a first round pick he hasn't exactly produced all that much; that being said his limited role is much more positive than Chris Houston's "contributions."

DoughBoy
12-12-2009, 01:38 PM
1 19 Michael Griffin- Having a bad year
2 50 Chris Henry - sucks/cut working at McDonalds or playing 4th string with the texans.
3 80 Paul Williams- practice squad, lost out to a 6th round pick.
4 115 Leroy Harris - Pretty damn good, can play every position on the line. It is a shame he cant be a starter somewhere.
4 128 Chris Davis- Sucks hard
5 152 Antonio Johnson - good but playing with the Colts.
6 188 Joel Filani-LOL
6 204 Jacob Ford - Good pass-rusher.
6 206 Ryan Smith- LOL
7 223 Michael Otto- Good OT/OG might be a future starter one day.

All and we still only got one starter out of this draft. The Chris Henry pick blew monkey *****.

Hawk
12-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Chris Henry was an Al Davis-esque pick. He's fast.

LonghornsLegend
12-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Chris Henry was an Al Davis-esque pick. He's fast.

In all fairness people said that same exact thing about Chris Johnson, that's probably why people hated the pick so much and killed Tennessee for basically doing the same thing again; taking a speed back/workout warrior.

Shiver
12-12-2009, 02:32 PM
The fact that we had eleven picks, three in the top-40 and only ended up with one decent starter is a testimony to how awful Rich McKay is.

MetSox17
12-12-2009, 02:43 PM
In all fairness people said that same exact thing about Chris Johnson, that's probably why people hated the pick so much and killed Tennessee for basically doing the same thing again; taking a speed back/workout warrior.

Well, not really. Chris Johnson put up some very, very good production at ECU. The thing people hated on was that he was, well, from ECU. I remember when i thought he was underrated enough to land to Dallas in the second round. I wanted either him or Jamaal Football. At this point i would rather have Jamaal over Felix. Dude can't stay healthy :/

umphrey
12-12-2009, 06:16 PM
I bet 99% of draft fans thought Chris Johnson was a terrible pick...not much sense in feeling bad about getting that one wrong.

Here's the 08 Packer draft. Pretty poor effort. I give it a D, the only starters are an average fullback and a kicker most fans want cut.

1-16 Justin Harrell (http://www.nfl.com/players/justinharrell/profile?id=HAR311429) DT Tennessee
Everyone hated the pick, everyone still hates the pick. A rare boom/bust effort by Ted Thompson. Everyone said he gets hurt too much, and he's been hurt ever since he got here. Currently he is on the roster on IR but his back is so screwed up I don't think he'll ever be able to play football again.

2-63 Brandon Jackson (http://www.nfl.com/players/brandonjackson/profile?id=JAC055578) RB Nebraska
He was supposed to replace Ahman Green as the starting running back or at least be part of a committee. RB was a huge need for us at the time. Too bad he was small, slow, and sucked at pass blocking. He fell flat on his face with a terrible YPC then got hurt. He's doing OK as a backup now but he seriously lacks the tools needed to be a running back in the NFL.

3-78 James Jones (http://www.nfl.com/players/jamesjones/profile?id=JON404681) WR San Jose State
This was a pretty good pick that everyone called a huge reach at the time. He's a good 3rd receiver for us and even though his triangle numbers aren't too impressive he gets separation and catches the ball well. He plays tough and uses his hands well.

3-89 Aaron Rouse (http://www.nfl.com/players/aaronrouse/profile?id=ROU320232) SAF Virginia Tech
Cut this year. Had great triangle numbers but never translated them into a football career. Saw some time filling in as a backup and even made some plays but was inconsistent in coverage and never was able to play "low" enough standing at 6'4". I thought he would do well covering big tight ends or moving into the box playing like a 4th linebacker which he has the size to do but he got cut and now he's giving up touchdowns for the Giants I believe.

4-119 Allen Barbre (http://www.nfl.com/players/allenbarbre/profile?id=BAR112460) G Missouri Southern State
Small school guy with great potential and terrible technique. Was supposed to be our RT this year but sucked so bad with his footwork and quickness we had to bring Tauscher out of retirement after blowing out his knee.

5-157 David Clowney (http://www.nfl.com/players/davidclowney/profile?id=CLO525348) WR Virginia Tech
Decent player that couldn't make the roster because we had other receivers step up and outplay him. He's doing pretty well as a reserve on the Jets now I believe.

6-191 Korey Hall (http://www.nfl.com/players/koreyhall/profile?id=HAL423750) FB Boise State
Only starter, converted linebacker to fullback who has been very average. Average speed, decent lead blocker, will catch a pass or run a dive once in a blue moon.

6-192 Desmond Bishop (http://www.nfl.com/players/desmondbishop/profile?id=BIS247164) LB California
Good pick but hasn't won a starting job yet, although some people think he's outplayed Hawk. Below average speed but a big hitter and playmaker, but not as assignment reliable. Should do well playing inside in a 3-4 when someone gives him a chance.

6-193 Mason Crosby (http://www.nfl.com/players/masoncrosby/profile?id=CRO369933) K Colorado
Had a good rookie year. Apparently our ST coach adjusted his fundamentals and since then he's missed way to many field goals. Good leg, able to boom kickoffs as good as anyone, able to get the distance for 60 yard field goals, but rarely has the accuracy to be good from 40+.

7-228 DeShawn Wynn (http://www.nfl.com/players/deshawnwynn/profile?id=WYN129025) RB Florida
Solid pick, good runner. People questioned his work ethic at the time and that's still pretty much the situation. Runs well, blocks well, has spent significant time on IR though.

7-243 Clark Harris (http://www.nfl.com/players/clarkharris/profile?id=HAR351770) TE Rutgers
Was supposed to be our long snapper but he got cut for some reason.

Giantsfan1080
12-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Giants draft was sick!!!

fenikz
12-12-2009, 06:24 PM
1. Levi Brown - Not worth the pick, has been a decent starter but not worth passing on AD, worst pick Graves has made

2. Alan Branch - Finally starting to show up this year, the switch to the 3-4 has helped him a ton, and he is a beast in goal line situations

3. BUSTer Davis - enough said, couldn't make the roster our of training camp

5. Steve Breaston - HUUUGEEE steal, could be a #2 or #1 on most teams and it wouldn't surprise me if the Cardinals choose to pay him over Boldin

7. Ben Patrick - Solid receiver, has improved his blocking a ton, good value for a 7th rounder

Rosebud
12-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Rouse has actually been really impressive for the giants and has played beyond anyone's expectations. He was all over the field against dallas.

12-12-2009, 06:45 PM
<3 Miller. Michael Bush was a stud pick as late as he went.

Quentin Moses, on the other hand, I hate you. A third round pick we cut before the season. How pathetic. Overall, I have mixed thoughts about this draft, but Russell busting puts this draft in the red.

21ST
12-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Well Landry is horrible

umphrey
12-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Rouse has actually been really impressive for the giants and has played beyond anyone's expectations. He was all over the field against dallas.

I really, really liked Rouse when he was on the Packers. All I've seen from him since we cut him was a ESPN highlight where he blew the coverage and gave up a TD so I assumed he was playing bad and the Giants were starting him out of desperation because of injuries. I hope he does well for you guys.

Maybe all he needed was a change of scenery. He might have been cut just because our coaches were looking for a different prototype in the new 3-4 defense.

3. BUSTer Davis - enough said, couldn't make the roster our of training camp

Haha, if anyone was destined to fail it has to be him. His parents should have been thinking about the NFL draft when they named him.

Whistler6
12-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Justin Harrel to to Green bay at #16 ruined my day...no my week...no, the past couple of years.

wonderbredd24
12-12-2009, 07:10 PM
1a. Joe Thomas, OT Wisconsin - Absolute Stud

1b. Brady Quinn, QB Notre Dame - Jury's still out, although in recent weeks he's looked pretty solid all things considered.

2. Eric Wright, CB UNLV - Stud

5. Brandon McDonald, CB Memphis - Inconsistent at best... he's been good at times and horrendous at times. This season has been a tough one for McDonald.

6. Melila Purcell, DE Hawaii - 6th round pick that never did anything and is no longer on the team

7. Chase Pittman, DE LSU - same as Purcell

scottyboy
12-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Giants draft was sick!!!

agreed.

1. Aaron Ross: great rookie season, injury problems last 2 seasons.(including this one). Still, gives us a dangerous CB trio and now is at safety due to injuries there.

2. Steve Smith: Excellent pick who's developed into a very good WR for us. Our #1 guy at WR.

3. Jay Alford: Known for his big sack on Brady at the end of the game. Snapped for us a bit, hurt now sadly. Was playing damn well too.

4. Zak DeOssie: our long snapper. son of former Giant. That's about it.

5: Kevin Boss: Developed into a very good TE. Love everything about him.

6. Adam Koets: Decent backup OL. That's really it.

7a. Michael Johnson: Has been very good for us, starting safety. I love his style of play.

7b. Ahmad Bradshaw: yea, dude rocks hard. One of the bigger steals of recent drafts.

Shane P. Hallam
12-12-2009, 08:53 PM
I really, really liked Rouse when he was on the Packers. All I've seen from him since we cut him was a ESPN highlight where he blew the coverage and gave up a TD so I assumed he was playing bad and the Giants were starting him out of desperation because of injuries. I hope he does well for you guys.

Maybe all he needed was a change of scenery. He might have been cut just because our coaches were looking for a different prototype in the new 3-4 defense.

Haha, if anyone was destined to fail it has to be him. His parents should have been thinking about the NFL draft when they named him.

His actual name is Craig.

scottyboy
12-12-2009, 09:08 PM
His actual name is Craig.

Actually, Craig Buster Davis is the WR onthe Chargers, pretty sure we're talking about the LBer from FSU. His name I believe is really James

umphrey
12-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Justin Harrel to to Green bay at #16 ruined my day...no my week...no, the past couple of years.

Well if it makes you feel better we probably wouldn't have Raji if he had been just average. Possibly would still be running a 4-3 as well.

To think what our DL would be like if he suddenly started playing like he was supposed to...Raji, Pickett, Jenkins, Jolly, Harrell to play 3 positions. That would be so stacked it would be ridiculous.

12-13-2009, 12:58 AM

I was right on that ship with ya. To be fair though, it's not like anyone could have honestly foreseen that he would take home a blank DVD that he was told had plays on it, then come back and say he watched it and it was good.

MidwayMonster31
12-13-2009, 01:10 AM
The Bears had some misses in this one.
Olsen has had his moments, but hasn't been as consistent as we hoped.
Dan Bazuin blew out his knee in training camp and was never the same.
Michael Okwo did nothing.
Josh Beekman has been decent, but is probably better off at center.
Corey Graham is a good special teams player, but that's about it.
Kevin Payne is starting, but not sure what happens to him next year.
Tyler Reed has been on the practice squad.
Trumaine McBride and Aaron Brant have gotten cut.

Hurricanes25
12-13-2009, 01:21 AM
The Jets only had 4 picks but they sure made the most of them.

1. Darrelle Revis- One of the best few corners in the league.

2. David Harris- He is becoming one of the better ILB's in the league.

6. Jacob Bender- The Jets always liked his porential but he hasn't really panned out. I believe he is now on the Giants practice squad.

7. Chansi Stuckey- Good slot receiver and a great value in the 7th.

wicket
12-13-2009, 05:47 AM
1 27 Robert Meachem WR Tennessee
Turns out to be a better pick than it seemed a year ago. The saints knew he needed some developement but Maechem is starting to become a mighty fine wideout
3 66 Usama Young CB Kent State
Not bad, is becoming a vital player in the saints depth but he is not a starter, could become one though at free safety if he learns enough from Sharper
3 88 Andy Alleman G Akron
Didnt work out, not on the team anymore.
4 107 Antonio Pittman RB Ohio State
Booted before the season if im not mistakin, clearly didnt work out
4 125 Jermon Bushrod T Towson
Good depth, is filling in nice for the injured jamaal brown.
5 145 David Jones CB Wingate
Booted after preseason, playing for the bengals now
7 220 Marvin Mitchell LB Tennessee
on the depthchart but quite deep on it, good special teams player though

Sniper
12-13-2009, 08:06 AM
The thing that drives me nuts about Anti-Russell people is that they like to use his strong arm as an negative and completely ignore the fact he is an all around good QB, he can do so much more than just throw the deep ball. When I see post like this I canít help but wonder how many LSU games they actually watched.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

12-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

He was accurate in college though. He was accurate, moved around the pocket well, all the good stuff that disappeared once he got to the NFL.

Shiver
12-13-2009, 12:28 PM
He was accurate in college though. He was accurate, moved around the pocket well, all the good stuff that disappeared once he got to the NFL.

What draft prognosticators will never be able to calculate how a person will react to being drafted #1 overall and given so much money. Jamarcus Russell has regressed year by year, mostly because he is lazy and has done nothing to improve himself as an NFL QB. He had it all in college, if he had the work ethic he would have been a fine QB.

benchod
12-13-2009, 12:45 PM

They hated on the pick because the Titans had just spent three straight years taking an RB in the first 2 rounds of a draft. The speed thing was definitely a factor too, but three straight years is pretty Lions-esque.

12-13-2009, 12:47 PM
What draft prognosticators will never be able to calculate how a person will react to being drafted #1 overall and given so much money. Jamarcus Russell has regressed year by year, mostly because he is lazy and has done nothing to improve himself as an NFL QB. He had it all in college, if he had the work ethic he would have been a fine QB.

Yeah, people can point to the fact that he was chubby in college as evidence of a bad work ethic, but it can be difficult in college to maintain a good weight because you have to go to class and you don't have a lot of money to buy all those expensive healthy foods. You would think that his pro team would get a dietitian to help him with that, keep him working out and get him into better shape because now his full time job is football. We weren't in the interviews with him, and that would have been the only indicator that he wasn't receptive to coaching. And even then, like you said, he might have been receptive to coaching until he was swimming in money.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-13-2009, 01:14 PM
JaMarcus Russell was only accurate in college because he had easier throws than Texas Tech quarterbacks. All Jimbo Fisher runs on offense are screen plays, curls, and 5 yard slants...

Whistler6
12-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Well if it makes you feel better we probably wouldn't have Raji if he had been just average. Possibly would still be running a 4-3 as well.

To think what our DL would be like if he suddenly started playing like he was supposed to...Raji, Pickett, Jenkins, Jolly, Harrell to play 3 positions. That would be so stacked it would be ridiculous.

You know, you're right...I like the glass half-full approach. I'm gonna try that.

d34ng3l021
12-13-2009, 01:27 PM
I was completely off with Landry.

senormysterioso
12-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Yeah, people can point to the fact that he was chubby in college as evidence of a bad work ethic, but it can be difficult in college to maintain a good weight because you have to go to class and you don't have a lot of money to buy all those expensive healthy foods. You would think that his pro team would get a dietitian to help him with that, keep him working out and get him into better shape because now his full time job is football. We weren't in the interviews with him, and that would have been the only indicator that he wasn't receptive to coaching. And even then, like you said, he might have been receptive to coaching until he was swimming in money.

He was on full scholarship at a DI school. I doubt he wen't to class more than a hand full of times in his college career. Blue chip athletes at big schools don't have the same top ramen/all nighters in the library kind of college experience that we do.

12-13-2009, 01:52 PM
JaMarcus Russell was only accurate in college because he had easier throws than Texas Tech quarterbacks. All Jimbo Fisher runs on offense are screen plays, curls, and 5 yard slants...

And he doesn't have accuracy on those throws anymore. My point stands.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
12-13-2009, 05:25 PM
2007 Patriots Draft was very non descript.

The only player worth mentioning is Brandon Meriweather.

Which of these guys has done anything...

Kareem Brown, Clint Oldenburg, Justin Rogers, Mike Richardson, Justise Hairston, Corey Hilliard, Oscar Lua, and Mike Elgin?

However the fact that they were able to deal a 2nd and 7th for Wes Welker and a 4th for Randy Moss make this draft great.

But the fact that many picks were wasted rather than looking for actual talent seem to be having an effect on the team in the present, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

I would give them a B+ for the overall draft workings. Welker and Moss are outstanding players and cornerstones of the team today, but the fact that the drafted players outside of Meriweather amounted to nothing brings this grade down a "B+". If I had to grade them for actually selections they would deserve an F.

tjsunstein
12-13-2009, 06:03 PM

Why try once you get paid? The guy can barely speak english. I don't know how he didn't go undrafted once all the team interviewed him.

Hines
12-13-2009, 06:41 PM
1-15) Lawrence Timmons LB Florida State

He has developed into our best playmaker at LB. He is extremely explosive and is still developing. Is not that great against the run yet, but still developing. Should've had Revis, dammit!!!

2-46) LaMarr Woodley LB Michigan

What a beast he has turned out to be. He is developing some, but is one of the best pass rushers in the draft.

3-77) Matt Spaeth TE Minnesota

Not really a fan. He is tall and has solid hands, but isn't spectacular in any area. Easily replaceable.

4-112) Daniel Sepulveda P Baylor

A real good punter for us. Has Pro Bowl potential and a big leg.

4-132) Ryan McBean DE Oklahoma State

A raw project when drafted. We cut him last training camp because he wasn't developing like we hoped. Now he is a starter on a solid Denver defense.

5-156) Cameron Stephenson G Rutgers

Got cut in camp. I don't know where he is at now.

5-170) William *** CB Louisville

He is a good corner for us, although he is not a starting cornerback in this league. His role is as a nickle/dime corner in the mold of Deshea Townsend. When he moves back inside, he will be a lot better off.

7-227) Dallas Baker WR Florida

Cut and signed a few times for us. Played in a few games. Nothing really stood out about him to me.

Overall this was a pretty good draft for the Steelers. We also signed a versatile offensive lineman in Darnell Stapleton who has played very well for us.

12-13-2009, 06:46 PM
IIRC Daniel Sepulveda was also an impact player on that year's NCAA video game.

Knowledge is power.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-13-2009, 07:34 PM

Beat me to it. While I liked Russell more than the other top option in that draft...mainly because I hated Brady Quinn...the offense he came out of was a HUGE question mark. All he did was throw 3 yard passes and occasionally launch a 70 yard bomb. Very few passes you actually need to throw in the NFL

Other thoughts:
- Wrong or not, I miss toonster's thoughts. Sparked a lot of good debate. I know he's still around the internet and maybe still lurks here, def. doesnt post as much.

- No one has as much egg on their face about any pick than I do about Chris Johnson. I was adamant that the guy was not an RB and would have to be used like Reggie Bush in the NFL. Whoops

- Remember when everyone thought Dwayne Jarrett was the next Mike Williams? Well, he didn't put on a ton of weight, but otherwise....

- Who the **** is Justin Harrell? ~ still a legitimate question

- Russell, Gaines Adams, Brown, Jamaal Anderson, Adam Carriker. Safe to call them all busts right now? Even Landry has been a disappointment. The Ted Ginn family have actually been somewhat useful, still a huge overdraft though

JT Jag
12-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Jaguars 2007 Draft:

1 21 (21) Reggie Nelson S Florida
- Well, he hasn't been the impact player we had hoped for. Had a very good rookie season, hit the sophomore wall in a big way, and this year has been somewhere in between. C+
2 16 (48) Justin Durant OLB Hampton
- Durant has been a very good player this year, and he's still improving. Outstanding speed for a linebacker, racks up the tackles, but should be a bigger playmaker than he is. B+
3 15 (79) Mike Walker WR UCF
- He was a non-factor for two years because of injury, but the coaching staff was patient with him and he's payed off in a big way with his breakout year this season. If he can avoid more major injuries, he's an A-
4 2 (101) Adam Podlesh P Maryland
- Controversial pick then, controversial pick now. Podlesh was so-so for his first couple years, terrible to start this season, but has really hit his stride in the last few games. However, selecting him means we passed on Sepulveda, a better punter in the league so far. C-
4 14 (113) Brian Smith OLB Missouri
- Touted by experts as possibly the best pure pass-rusher in the 2007 draft, he broke his hip his senior year in college and the Jaguars drafted him as a project. He didn't pan out, and never played a game with us iirc. F
5 12 (149) Uche Nwaneri G Purdue
- For the 5th round this was a pretty good pick. He starts for us now, and is really active in the community. Very good run-blocker, still needs work pass-blocking. B+
5 13 (150) Josh Gattis S Wake Forest
- On draft day, everyone thought this was the steal of the night. Projected as a 2nd or 3rd round guy, gotten in the 5th and... well, turns out he was a 5th-rounder for a reason. He never made it out of camp. F
5 29 (166) Derek Landri DT Notre Dame
- Puzzling. Landri was a big part of the Jaguars' 2007 playoff win over the Steelers, and was showing a lot of upside. He was asked to gain weight over the offseason, but it ruined his quickness and he never recovered. He was cut a couple weeks ago. I wish we could have managed him better, he was a good player for us for a while. C+
7 19 (229) John Broussard WR San Jose State
- Broussard made a mind-blowing 80-yard touchdown catch to start the 2007 season, and wasn't ever healthy afterwards. That said, that's better production than you usually get from a 7th rounder. C
7* 41 (251) Chad Nkang OLB Elon
- A good special teamer for a couple years, released before this season. C+
7* 42 (252) Andrew Carnahan T Arizona State
- Hung around on the practice squad for a while but never made the roster. F

Shack Harris' second-to-last draft was his best. Overall: B+

Calvin & Kevin
12-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Lions 2007 Draft

1 (2) Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech
Of course CJ is a great player, but passing on AD stings worse and worse every year. I'd rather have a running game at this point than a premier wideout we can't get the ball to consistently. What I'd really rather have is the 3-4 picks we probably could have gotten for CJ, then again it would just have been Millen making those picks.

2 (43) Drew Stanton QB Michigan State
Traded down to Buffalo who took Poz, then went ahead and drafted this guy when we could have had David Harris. Martz hated him and he basically got ignored for two seasons. Maybe he could still be our backup, who knows.

2 (58) Ikaika Alama-Francis DE Hawaii
First trade up into the second round, to take a guy who our coach called "5-0" his whole time here because he was too stupid to pronounce his name. Barely cracked the active lineup in '07, did nothing in '08, cut in '09.

2 (61) Gerald Alexander FS Boise State
Second trade back up into the second round. Looked decent in '07, knee injury in '08, traded in '09. Currently playing soft in Jacksonville, from what I hear.

4 (105) A.J. Davis CB North Carolina State
Failed to make the team out of camp and has never appeared in a regular season NFL game. This is noteworthy because the Lions could have used this pick in the supplemental draft to get Jared Gaither.

4 (117) Manny Ramirez G Texas Tech
Finally got significant playing time this year and has been a big part of the Lions' truly catastrophic play at left guard.

5 (158) Johnny Baldwin LB Alabama A&M
Looked great in training camp in '07, but got cut because the coaching staff preferred the veteran presence of Paris Lenon. :roll:

7 (255) Ramzee Robinson CB Alabama
Mr. Irrelevant stuck on the team for a couple of seasons, got cut this year and is still in the league somewhere, doing what he did here - not much.

Overall Grade - D+ (CJ is the only thing keeping it from being an F)

wogitalia
12-13-2009, 10:24 PM
I bet 99% of draft fans thought Chris Johnson was a terrible pick...not much sense in feeling bad about getting that one wrong.

I was probably in the small crowd that thought CJ was a good player but a reach. He has been better than I expected, but I thought he was a guy who had mid 2nd round value, whether he would still be there I guess it the real question we will never know the answer to. To say he has been good value would be an understatement so far.

The 2007 draft makes me all happy on the inside...

Pick 7 - Adrian Peterson - I liked him, the injuries were scary at the time. So far has been healthy and dominant. Booyah!

Pick 44 - Sidney Rice - I remember wanting Jarrett, but thinking Rice was great value at 72. Injuries really slowed him, but that mythical 3rd season for WRs getting it is doing the treat for Rice, has been awesome.

Pick 72 - Marcus McCauley - I was a big fan of this pick, was high risk/reward, which at 102 onwards makes sense to me, especially on a team with a lot of veterans like the Vikes. Looked really good in his first season and then fell off the face of the planet. Was cut in training camp, last I heard the Saints had signed him, which is ironic given a lot of people think they should have taken him over Usama Young in the first place.(A lot of people were wrong in hindsight).

Pick 102 - Brian Robison - Has been really solid, which is all you can ask. I love his motor and there are many times when he gets on the field that I just feel he is better than Edwards because of it. Either way, has been great value and has, imo, shown the ability to start and be very solid.

Pick 146 - Aundrae Allison - He looked solid, especially on ST but I believe lost out in a battle with Reynaud to be the return man and 5th wideout. I liked him though, as far as I know has been inactive all year for the Jets?

Pick 176 - Rufus Alexander - Blew out his knee in preseason of rookie season, then spent time on the practice squad. Not sure where he is at now.

Pick 217 - Tyler Thigpen - The sex, I really liked him as a development guy, tried to slip him onto the practice squad, was claimed by the Chiefs, and imo, looked good last year for them. Believe has found his way to Miami, really want to see him get a chance, still, has given more than you expect from a 7th rounder, even if it was for the Vikes.

Pick 233 - Chandler Williams - Never really did anything as far as I know, though I could be wrong.

draftguru151
12-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Ted Ginn is awesome! Wait... ****.

12-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Ted Ginn is awesome! Wait... ****.

Don't worry, you made up for it with John Beck... ****.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
12-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Don't worry, you made up for it with John Beck... ****.

But later they stole Lorenzo Booker...****.

senormysterioso
12-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Why try once you get paid? The guy can barely speak english. I don't know how he didn't go undrafted once all the team interviewed him.

have you ever heard a Chris Johnson interview? I know quarterback is a different position than running back, but football players are rarely Rhode Scholars (apologies to Myron Rolle)

Da-Phins
12-15-2009, 03:17 PM
But later they stole Lorenzo Booker...****.

Our whole draft was just ****

But hey...we did draft a good punter in that draft so in your face!