PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Williams' reaction

D-Rod
04-30-2007, 07:49 AM
This will require some very careful man-management.

JW has a lot of pride, it was the principal reason why he slid down the draft board in the first place. He definitely wants to play CB, and will be very upset that we have drafted a 2nd round rookie to take his place. Three guys with massive egos - Hall, Houston, JW - will have to be accomodated.

Hopefully the staff can explain to JW that FS is just as important a position now as CB, and that he has the potential to be a pro-bowler there. Also, they'll need to explain that they can't put Houston at FS, so it is not so much that Houston is a better CB than him, just that JW is more flexible.

Maybe he'll buy it. I'm slightly worried that there'll be some lingering resentment, but hopefully JW will get excited by the idea of having a crazy good secondary, with him as the lynchpin at FS.

iloxygenil
04-30-2007, 10:19 AM
I hope there is some lingering resentment, and I hope he uses it to destroy people on the field.

thefalconer
04-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't he enter the draft wanting to play safety?

iloxygenil
04-30-2007, 02:04 PM
He would play either, there is no telling what he truly thought.

Shiver
04-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Either way; he had better get used to the idea that he will play Safety in this league. The way he played last year makes me giddy, he played very well, and was a ferocious hitter. There shouldn't be too big of a transition.

ATLDirtyBirds
04-30-2007, 03:05 PM
I think he'll make the move just fine. If not, he needs to realizes 90%+ of the other teams would have him at S

D-Rod
04-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I like the idea of JW channeling his anger into some thumping hits. Hopefully on opposing WRs, not Petrino or Zimmer...

ksfalconsfan
05-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Do you guys think that Petrino planned on moving Jimmy all along? If so, I can't think of why he would haved named Jimmy starting RCB. I guess it could have been a smokescreen, and if it was, it definitely worked in landing Houston.

iloxygenil
05-01-2007, 05:18 PM
He wanted him to work hard in camp.

TheChampIsHere
05-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Do you guys think that Petrino planned on moving Jimmy all along? If so, I can't think of why he would haved named Jimmy starting RCB. I guess it could have been a smokescreen, and if it was, it definitely worked in landing Houston.

I think the Falcons were hoping to get a S in the draft. When they made the move up to 8, they were thinking they would be able to get Landry there and if not they could always get a S in the 2nd like Merriweather or Weddle. But the way the draft played out, Landry was gone at 8 and the pickings were slim at S when their 2nd pick came but they did have some quality options at CB, like Houston and Wright, so they went ahead and got a 1st round talent in Houston with their 2nd rounder figuring they can move Jimmy to FS.

iloxygenil
05-01-2007, 05:35 PM
They talked about how much Jimmy struggled with his hips, so I think he was going to be moved from the beginning.

Shiver
05-02-2007, 01:58 AM
Initially last year he only played against 'power' sets, in a Safety like role.