PDA

View Full Version : Michael Turner playing for...

ncst8fan83
04-30-2007, 11:51 AM
San Diego next season according to AJ Smith.

FWIW

JK17
04-30-2007, 12:22 PM
San Diego next season according to AJ Smith.

FWIW

Could've been interpreted based on the possible teams aquiring RBs in round two. This was a real possibility going in to the draft for San Diego and I am fine with it. Turner takes 100-120 carries off LT shoulders and is terrific kick returner. No real problem for me here...would've been nice to get good compensation for him but can't complain that he's back.

bsaza2358
04-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I recall seeing a thread where there was already a deal in place. Funny how that possibility just never happened. Turner will get a very lucrative contract this next offseason. San Diego will lose him for nothing.

RaiderNation
04-30-2007, 12:30 PM
gonna make lots of money next year in the offseason

B-Dawk
04-30-2007, 12:32 PM
he might not get as big of a contract next year. he will be a year older, teams with needs at rb have addressed it somewhat through the draft, and next years draft is loaded with top rb talent.

JK17
04-30-2007, 01:47 PM
I recall seeing a thread where there was already a deal in place. Funny how that possibility just never happened. Turner will get a very lucrative contract this next offseason. San Diego will lose him for nothing.

Like you said he'll get a lucrative contract, which is the biggest part of the comp pick selection process anyway...San Diego has a strong shot at a third round comp pick next year, plus all the value he brings to them this year as LT's backup and KR.

portermvp84
04-30-2007, 01:53 PM
I knew he was going to do a one year extension. Smart move by the Chargers keeping him in Sd one more year.

ks_perfection
04-30-2007, 02:32 PM
he might not get as big of a contract next year. he will be a year older, teams with needs at rb have addressed it somewhat through the draft, and next years draft is loaded with top rb talent.

Teams will give him a big contract because it means they can use a high pick on another position instaed of using it on a rb.

JK17
04-30-2007, 09:00 PM
And its official...He's a Charger for 07.

http://chargers.com/news/headlines/turner-relieved-to.htm

PACKmanN
04-30-2007, 09:01 PM
he could be traded midway into the season...

JK17
04-30-2007, 09:05 PM
he could be traded midway into the season...

Turner found himself a bit emotionally torn while visiting prospective teams over the last couple months, but that uneasiness was all settled Monday morning when General Manager A.J. Smith announced hed no longer entertain trade offers for the fourth-year back.

If you think AJ isn't a man of his word when it comes to that, see the Donnie Edwards situation of last year. AJ set a deadline for a third to be offered. The Saints missed the deadline by one day and AJ wouldn't trade him. He's big on deadlines, also see what happened with Gates threatened holdout in 05...cost him the Dallas game.

Plus, most of the teams who would be interested in Turner already addressed RB on draft day.

PoopSandwich
04-30-2007, 09:08 PM
gonna make lots of money next year in the offseason

Hopefully Cleveland breaks the bank for him.

DraftMasterG
04-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Hopefully Cleveland breaks the bank for him.

your sig is too long

Staubach12
04-30-2007, 09:40 PM
How long has the speculation been going on? What, a year and a half now? Two years by the time he's finally on a different roster as a starter. I kind of feel bad for Turner because he's been one of the most sought after RBs in the NFL for the past year and a half, but he's still stuck behind the best back in the game.

JK17
04-30-2007, 09:43 PM
How long has the speculation been going on? What, a year and a half now? Two years by the time he's finally on a different roster as a starter. I kind of feel bad for Turner because he's been one of the most sought after RBs in the NFL for the past year and a half, but he's still stuck behind the best back in the game.

I wouldn't feel too bad for him. I mean I'm sure a lot of it is just Turner's good character showing, and him being too classy to say how he really may feel, but he's reiterated over and over again how huge it is for his career to be able to learn from LT and LoNeal. And I mean, come on he's got one more year to learn from the best in the game and still make an impact in the NFL, while still having his shot at a ring this year.

snobdmat
05-01-2007, 01:54 PM

If you think AJ isn't a man of his word when it comes to that, see the Donnie Edwards situation of last year. AJ set a deadline for a third to be offered. The Saints missed the deadline by one day and AJ wouldn't trade him. He's big on deadlines, also see what happened with Gates threatened holdout in 05...cost him the Dallas game.

Plus, most of the teams who would be interested in Turner already addressed RB on draft day.

still tho if an interesting enough trade came to a.j. it would be hard not to pass up on it. the only problem is the chargers accepted, sproles would likely be the backup and that is not a situation that i would personally like as of now.

JK17
05-01-2007, 01:59 PM
still tho if an interesting enough trade came to a.j. it would be hard not to pass up on it. the only problem is the chargers accepted, sproles would likely be the backup and that is not a situation that i would personally like as of now.

Oh yeah if a trade offer came along it may warrant consideration, but there's two things we have to consider there. The first is who the trading partner would be, and why they would have waited this long to get the deal done, aside from maybe lowering Turner's price. I would think if they were going to be gambling on Turner, they wouldn't want to risk AJ closing down discussion completely.

Also, would it be worth it, say going into the season, after chemistry starts building up, and roles are being defined, to just get rid of a valuable weapon like Turner...AJ needs a Super Bowl win soon and we're in the middle of our window right now to get one. I don't know how willing or happy I would be to see something disrupt that once training camps, and preseason rolls around.

snobdmat
05-01-2007, 02:03 PM
thats why the deal would need to be very lucrative to give up a coveted backup

BlindSite
05-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Yeah, but last year and this year FA backs still got big dollars despite those teams being in position to draft a good player.

marks01234
05-01-2007, 09:39 PM

He'll only be a year older and will only have about 100 more carries on his body.

Turner at 26 is miles away from Larry Johnson at 26.

JK17
05-01-2007, 09:40 PM
He'll only be a year older and will only have about 100 more carries on his body.

Turner at 26 is miles away from Larry Johnson at 26.

Yeah, I mean not going to get in a debate over whether Turner is a quality starter or not, but if you're getting him you are set at Running back for at least six years, which is just about all you can ask for out of a free agent RB.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-01-2007, 10:33 PM
who cares as long as LT is there thats Oakland's main problem.