PDA

View Full Version : De La Hoya vs Mayweather

NYmoney
04-30-2007, 04:41 PM
I know there is a boxing thread somewhere out there, but given the fact this is the last big fight in five years, I believe a separate thread should exist. Mods: it will be gone in a week, just let this one play its course out.

Mayweather (MW) is unquestionably faster than De La Hoya (DLH). However, DLH has faced some of the toughest competition in multiple weight divisions. Meanwhile, MW has been accused of ducking tough bouts before this one. So the question that stands out is this: although MW is more gifted, does DLH's experience give him a true shot at winning?

Vegas has MW -200 and DLH +160, meaning MW is a considerable favorite.

Thoughts...

MaxV
04-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Mayweather will win on points, but it won't be a blowout.

Like him or not, Oscar is a good boxer.

NYmoney
04-30-2007, 04:44 PM
No one should argue otherwise: DLH is a heck of a fighter. One of the biggest boxers out there today.

LTgiants
04-30-2007, 05:07 PM
mayweather is gonna knock him out

Billingsley26
04-30-2007, 05:37 PM
I dont mind MAyweather, but I like DLH better. There are so many storylines leading into this bout. Like Mayweather father was DLH trainer leading up to the fight. Up here, TSN showed a feature on the two training, and it was jokes when Mayweather's uncle/trainer, called Freddy Roach (DLH trainer) and asked him about how the training was going, and then Roach started cutting up Mayweathers uncle asking him to speak english, and that he couldnt hear him, lol. Then hung up on him.

I cant wait for this fight. Im expecting this to be a GREAT bout. I have such high expectations for this fight. I think it will be great.

Only 5 days to go!!!

MaxV
04-30-2007, 05:46 PM
mayweather is gonna knock him out

I don't think so. MW isn't really a power puncher and Oscar isn't as soft as some make him out to be.

I think this one will go the distance.

High Roller
04-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Should be a great fight. Im Def buying it on PPV.
I'm taking MW on this one though cuz speed kills.

DChess
04-30-2007, 06:56 PM
i had a dream that de la hoya won, take it for what its worth. ive also canoed through a entire city, with bus that formed into big canoes, so you never know.

i dont see mayweather losing, also is this really going to be his last fight

jagsfreak27
04-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Mayweather easy

Keepin' it Keak
04-30-2007, 08:00 PM
De La Hoya wins the early rounds, Mayweather closes it out in the end. He'll win by like 3 or 4 rounds.

Rob S
04-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Dont ask me why, but I have a feeling that this fight could be fixed. DLH's last fight, maybe FMJ throws it and joins up with Golden Boy. I dont I get a bad feeling. And please dont flame, among boxing fans on this board, it is well known that i know my stuff so if u flame be prepared to debate.

Moses
04-30-2007, 08:21 PM
I lost all respect for De La Hoya and boxing in general when I watched DLH win an obviously fixed fight. I can't remember the fight, but it was probably about a year or two ago. It went to scorecards and DLH needed to win it to move onto a big fight that was expected to bring in a ton of cash. He got beat and everybody knew it but they gave him the decision so the next fight could take place.

DChess
04-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Dont ask me why, but I have a feeling that this fight could be fixed. DLH's last fight, maybe FMJ throws it and joins up with Golden Boy. I dont I get a bad feeling. And please dont flame, among boxing fans on this board, it is well known that i know my stuff so if u flame be prepared to debate.

if anybody else said that i wouldnt listen but i actually believe you, interesting point

04-30-2007, 10:27 PM
De La Hoya is bigger and stronger than Mayweather. Mayweather is gonna try and knock him out and Oscar is just gonna beat him like a drum.

DChess
04-30-2007, 10:47 PM
De La Hoya is bigger and stronger than Mayweather. Mayweather is gonna try and knock him out and Oscar is just gonna beat him like a drum.

mayweather is so fast, and is one of the best in dodging punches ive ever seen

Billingsley26
04-30-2007, 10:50 PM

ya thats true, and we all know what happened when the powereful George Foreman fought the quick Muhammad Ali!

I still like DLH in this one.

SugarSean
04-30-2007, 10:58 PM

You can't know too much about boxing if you're a Cotto fan.

SugarSean
04-30-2007, 11:06 PM
That was a joke, by the way. I love seein people that are big boxing fans. I'm just not big on puttin lol at the end of my ****. Or smileys.

I think that their is noooooooooooo way Floyd fixes a fight to get a loss. He's obsessive about being undefeated. And if you read the ESPN article about him you'd know that he's not the most cooperative guy.

Are you the resident boxing expert, Rob? If so, you think Cotto can take Floyd?

Kurve
05-01-2007, 12:21 AM
If Floyd wins this then whats next really isnt anything, now if De La Hoya wins now the rematch would bring in big time money. Living in las vegas my self i smell a De La Hoya knockout of Floyd even if Floyd is on top of the cards or a really close decision going for De La Hoya. Everyone might think Floyd will win and theory he should because he is younger faster but to be boxing is more to do with politics then pure skill and so i think De La Hoya win and a Floyd 1st loss would bring more excitement to boxing then a clear expected floyd victory.

DChess
05-01-2007, 12:23 AM
That was a joke, by the way. I love seein people that are big boxing fans. I'm just not big on puttin lol at the end of my ****. Or smileys.

I think that their is noooooooooooo way Floyd fixes a fight to get a loss. He's obsessive about being undefeated. And if you read the ESPN article about him you'd know that he's not the most cooperative guy.

a perfect cover, no?

SugarSean
05-01-2007, 02:58 AM
Not exactly. I'm not a big fan of the internet tough guys that always start arguments over computers. It was a joke, b/c he set himself up for it. Why would I need to cover something over the computer anyways? But if you don't believe me about avoiding the big bad internet tough guys, do a search for my myspace post. Some dude on there had to be bada$$, b/c he was a real jerk over his computer. I just ignore dudes like that.

But I don't have a problem with any boxing fans, as long as they like who I like and think what I think.

NYmoney
05-01-2007, 10:55 AM

MW doesn't dodge punches. he just allows them to deflect off him. look at how SSM imitated him. he leans back and to the right. he doesn't dodge unless he's on the ropes.

NYmoney
05-01-2007, 10:56 AM
I dont mind MAyweather, but I like DLH better. There are so many storylines leading into this bout. Like Mayweather father was DLH trainer leading up to the fight. Up here, TSN showed a feature on the two training, and it was jokes when Mayweather's uncle/trainer, called Freddy Roach (DLH trainer) and asked him about how the training was going, and then Roach started cutting up Mayweathers uncle asking him to speak english, and that he couldnt hear him, lol. Then hung up on him.

I cant wait for this fight. Im expecting this to be a GREAT bout. I have such high expectations for this fight. I think it will be great.

Only 5 days to go!!!

HBO produced this show. It's called DLH/MW 24/7. very good. last episode is Thursday.

High Roller
05-01-2007, 11:06 AM

I think you have a good argument, but I think since FM has been calling him out for years, he won't throw this fight.

NYmoney
05-01-2007, 11:13 AM
I think you have a good argument, but I think since FM has been calling him out for years, he won't throw this fight.

no way he'd throw this fight. He's got too much pride.

However, if you want to look at it from the other side: it is awkward that MW is taking home 10m and DLH is taking 25m. that's horribly lopsided, even if DLH is the biggest draw out there now.

Phrost
05-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Speed does kill, Mayweather is just too fast. When he moved up a weight class his speed just dominated.

NYmoney
05-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Speed does kill, Mayweather is just too fast. When he moved up a weight class his speed just dominated.

yea, but he's fighting at 154 now. he's never been this high. hell, he weighed in at the prelims at 152; meanwhile DLH was 165. that means he's giving up a ton of power. it's either MW in decision or DLH in TKO

Phrost
05-01-2007, 04:04 PM
yea, but he's fighting at 154 now. he's never been this high. hell, he weighed in at the prelims at 152; meanwhile DLH was 165. that means he's giving up a ton of power. it's either MW in decision or DLH in TKO

Wow, I didn't know they got that high...hmm this does change things, only slightly though.

MW by KO.

Phrost
05-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Oh yeah how is old is Hoya now? 34?

What about Mayweather? 29? 30?

How many fights has DLH fought in comparison to MW?

This could be key.

NYmoney
05-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Oh yeah how is old is Hoya now? 34?

What about Mayweather? 29? 30?

How many fights has DLH fought in comparison to MW?

This could be key.

Good point. MW fans say he has fought true opponents, but many other say otherwise.

bored of education
05-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Mayweather is the best boxer I ever seen. He is in the sicket shape, and is the most under rated puncher ever. His speed, accuarcy and stamina will beat ODLH. ODLH won't be able to contain him or keep up with him. Plus, FMJr. has a very under rated chin,and he doenst get hit alot, he is one of the best glove blockers in the business.

No one knows how ot get ready for a fight like FMJr. He willnever let down, the dude is in impeccable shape.

Alot out of the ring concerns will not effect/affect FMJr. UD or TKO post 8th round.

bored of education
05-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Good point. MW fans say he has fought true opponents, but many other say otherwise.

he has fought some legit fightesrs. remember he was 122 comming in as a pro worked his way up and only gotten better with LBS. you cant expect a guy 130 to fight 148s. the added weight has only made him better. i wiswh he would win this fight add on 20 then kick the **** out of Jermain
Taylor

bored of education
05-01-2007, 08:35 PM

But many times I have seen wherethe fighter who is closest to the weigh in weight at the unofficial is better suited and trainedfor the fight. I have seen ODLH add on 10 lbs from the weigh in to unofficial. And ODLH is not as strong as perceived, his accuracy is spotty.

and Mayorga wasnt even a contender at the time of their fight.

bored of education
05-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Ask gatti who the biggest hitter he ever faced was -- he will say Mayweather and he Boxed ODLH when he was young andstronger.

NYmoney
05-02-2007, 01:08 AM
But many times I have seen wherethe fighter who is closest to the weigh in weight at the unofficial is better suited and trainedfor the fight. I have seen ODLH add on 10 lbs from the weigh in to unofficial. And ODLH is not as strong as perceived, his accuracy is spotty.

and Mayorga wasnt even a contender at the time of their fight.

LDH doesn't have a lights out left hook? think before you answer. you've put up some very valid points, but to discredit his left hook is unbelievable.

Icon
05-02-2007, 01:48 AM
I'll take Nick Diaz

bored of education
05-02-2007, 10:32 AM
LDH doesn't have a lights out left hook? think before you answer. you've put up some very valid points, but to discredit his left hook is unbelievable.

Its spotty accuracy wise which is why it loses strength because the accuracy makes it moreof a glancing blow rather than nice punch.

Rob S
05-02-2007, 11:13 AM

Yeah, I was just talking to my friend about the fixing thing. The thing with FMJ not wanting to lose his record makes perfect sense and would MOST LIKELY be the case. However, I just think the fact that Golden Boy has been able to sign almost every big name fighter out there is a bit sketchy and that they would have no problem fixing it, getting FMJ or DLH to drop the fight is the issue. I dont THINK it is fixed, but I do think it is naive to deny that the possibility exists. Let me just say this, if DLH get KO'd by a FMJ body shot, I am going to lose a ton of respect for him (that was a reference to DLH-Hopkins if you didnt catch it. I do feel that KO is legit tho, Hopkins was the bigger man and I have experienced the pain of a liver/kidney shot)....

On to Cotto. I will try and avoid biases as much as possible, but he is my favorite fighter and feel he gets screwed out of respect. Anyway, I do not feel Cotto is ready right now. I think he would take it to a lopsided decision (thereby avoiding the KO) because I dont think his chin is an issue at all at 147 (he used to have to kill himself to make 140. thereby his chin "problems"). Anyway, if he beats Zab Judah and then beats the Margarito/ Williams winner I think he will have proved enough for a SHOT at FMJ. Will he win, probably not, but he has as good a chance as anyone. His style is made well for a fight vs FMJ. He is a pressure fighter (like Jose Luis Castillo, who almost beat FMJ. Cotto cuts off the ring better than him too) and has relentless body attack. These 2 things, when done effectively, neutralize speed and movement, which are Floyd's 2 biggest strengths. If Cotto can stop FMJ from running (which he will do in there vs a puncher like Cotto), I think he has a VERY good chance of knocking out the pretty boy. However, FMJ is still the favorite. The most likely outcome is FMJ running and boxing, Cotto not doing those 2 things (body punching, cutting off the ring) well enough to stop the virtuoso that is FMJ and FMJ taking a UD. Cotto does have a shot though, he is the best body puncher in the game, and body punching is key to slowing people down, and slowing him down is the only way you beat FMJ.

NYmoney
05-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I was just talking to my friend about the fixing thing. The thing with FMJ not wanting to lose his record makes perfect sense and would MOST LIKELY be the case. However, I just think the fact that Golden Boy has been able to sign almost every big name fighter out there is a bit sketchy and that they would have no problem fixing it, getting FMJ or DLH to drop the fight is the issue. I dont THINK it is fixed, but I do think it is naive to deny that the possibility exists. Let me just say this, if DLH get KO'd by a FMJ body shot, I am going to lose a ton of respect for him (that was a reference to DLH-Hopkins if you didnt catch it. I do feel that KO is legit tho, Hopkins was the bigger man and I have experienced the pain of a liver/kidney shot)....

On to Cotto. I will try and avoid biases as much as possible, but he is my favorite fighter and feel he gets screwed out of respect. Anyway, I do not feel Cotto is ready right now. I think he would take it to a lopsided decision (thereby avoiding the KO) because I dont think his chin is an issue at all at 147 (he used to have to kill himself to make 140. thereby his chin "problems"). Anyway, if he beats Zab Judah and then beats the Margarito/ Williams winner I think he will have proved enough for a SHOT at FMJ. Will he win, probably not, but he has as good a chance as anyone. His style is made well for a fight vs FMJ. He is a pressure fighter (like Jose Luis Castillo, who almost beat FMJ. Cotto cuts off the ring better than him too) and has relentless body attack. These 2 things, when done effectively, neutralize speed and movement, which are Floyd's 2 biggest strengths. If Cotto can stop FMJ from running (which he will do in there vs a puncher like Cotto), I think he has a VERY good chance of knocking out the pretty boy. However, FMJ is still the favorite. The most likely outcome is FMJ running and boxing, Cotto not doing those 2 things (body punching, cutting off the ring) well enough to stop the virtuoso that is FMJ and FMJ taking a UD. Cotto does have a shot though, he is the best body puncher in the game, and body punching is key to slowing people down, and slowing him down is the only way you beat FMJ.

when DLH got dropped by that shot, you knew it was over. watch it on youtube. he stops fighting a good three seconds before he even falls to the canvas. i agree; you cannot knock that KO. it was a great punch.

NYmoney
05-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Its spotty accuracy wise which is why it loses strength because the accuracy makes it moreof a glancing blow rather than nice punch.

I completely disagree. His accuracy is nothing amazing, but to say that his accuracy takes away from his power is supported by no facts. Can you point to a specific fight where he constantly had his punches deflected time and time again? Especially a time where a more accurate boxer would have landed those punches.

bored of education
05-02-2007, 03:30 PM
I dont have convincing evidence but later in his career his accuracy has gotten spotty, and that does take away from power depnding on where he hits them. The Mayorgas fight was a fluke agaisnt a boxer who wasn't even top 5 in the division.

steelcity86
05-02-2007, 09:52 PM

thats a possibility i never really thought of that, boxing is becoming very corrupt nowadays. but i dunno i think floyd will kill him an early KO for mayweather.

Billingsley26
05-02-2007, 11:03 PM

I agree with you on the Cotto part. I think he can take Judah. Cotto and FMJ would be a nice fight, however, I dont think that Cotto would be able to put up the fight that DLH would be able to. none the less, I would love to see it happen. Cant wait till Saturday.

Moses
05-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Anybody been watching the TV segments showing De La Hoya and Mayweather training, trash talking, etc.? It's very cool television and it getting me really pumped to see this fight.

Right now, I have to give the edge to the Pretty Boy because he's undefeated and his speed is out of this world. That said, the Golden Boy has more power and could surprise by being the firs to really punish Floyd.

RaiderNation
05-02-2007, 11:07 PM
i want mayweather to win

Billingsley26
05-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Anybody been watching the TV segments showing De La Hoya and Mayweather training, trash talking, etc.? It's very cool television and it getting me really pumped to see this fight.

Right now, I have to give the edge to the Pretty Boy because he's undefeated and his speed is out of this world. That said, the Golden Boy has more power and could surprise by being the firs to really punish Floyd.

Ya ive been watching it too, the last episode of 24/7 in canada is on friday night at 12 on tsn. check it out.

Can anyone give me some insight on when FMJ beat Zab Judah in 12 rounds? Just curious to see if the 12 rounds are pretty decieving, or was it a good fight.

steelersfan43
05-02-2007, 11:28 PM
who won?

Moses
05-02-2007, 11:28 PM
who won?

It's on Saturday...

Rob S
05-02-2007, 11:45 PM
HBO preview shows are always amazing, u guys should watch all of them and they will really make you want to watch the fights. If you have on demand, I highly recommend the Legendary Nights series, it is fantastic.

Rob S
05-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Ya ive been watching it too, the last episode of 24/7 in canada is on friday night at 12 on tsn. check it out.

Can anyone give me some insight on when FMJ beat Zab Judah in 12 rounds? Just curious to see if the 12 rounds are pretty decieving, or was it a good fight.

Zab looked good the 1st four rounds, maybe won all 4, but FMJ owned from then on in and Judah resorted to low blows which almost incited a riot.

bored of education
05-02-2007, 11:47 PM
I think Zab won 2 rounds total that fight. it was a clinic.

bored of education
05-02-2007, 11:48 PM
HBO preview shows are always amazing, u guys should watch all of them and they will really make you want to watch the fights. If you have on demand, I highly recommend the Legendary Nights series, it is fantastic.

I fell in love with Legendary Nights a while back. Meldrick Taylor v. JCC. Awesome fight great story nehind it.

Rob S
05-02-2007, 11:52 PM
I fell in love with Legendary Nights a while back. Meldrick Taylor v. JCC. Awesome fight great story nehind it.

that is the best one by far imo. So sad what became of Taylor.......

NYmoney
05-03-2007, 09:23 AM
I think Zab won 2 rounds total that fight. it was a clinic.

Yea. He got routed on the score cards. it's on HBO On Demand right now.