PDA

View Full Version : Jones gets what he wants......

KILLERSANTA
04-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Savage called Jacksonville, which had the 17th pick. No. Right about then, Savage got wind of Baltimore also trying to deal up in the round to get Quinn. And he feared Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome would make a deal with one of his best buddies, Jags GM James Harris. But Harris had other ideas, dealing down four spots with Denver and picking up third- and sixth-round picks.

Savage didn't try Cincinnati at 18. "You think they'd ever trade with us?'' he said, chuckling. "I don't think so.'' Tennessee and the Giants, at 19 and 20, respectively, both said no. Next up was Jacksonville, which planned to make its new pick at 21. Another phone call. Another no.

Desperate minutes now. Savage knew Kansas City might be a logical team to just sit there at 23 to take Quinn. So the only team left was Dallas, at 22.

"I really didn't know Jerry Jones,'' Savage said. "We'd never done anything with the Cowboys. I'd seen him at league meetings, and I had a lot of respect for him, but there was no prior experience there.''

Savage offered Jones second- and third-round picks. Jones said no. End of call. Jones called back and asked for Cleveland's first-rounder in 2008, and Savage said he'd consider doing it -- but without adding anything else this year. Jones said no; he had to have a high pick this year. End of call.

"Now [the Cowboys] were on the clock, and I figured, 'This is a guy we really want,''' said Savage. "We've got to make our best offer now.''

Sort of. With the minutes ticking by, Savage offered next year's first-round and this year's third-round picks to Dallas. Nope, said Jones. It'll take next year's one and this year's two. Savage said he'd call right back.

Meanwhile, Jones told the Cowboys man at the draft in New York to write down the name of Purdue defensive end Anthony Spencer on a card and get it ready to turn in. "We had four guys very close in value right there,'' Jones said. (One other candidate there, I learned, was LSU wideout Dwayne Bowe.) "And I was determined that we would get one of them, unless we could get that Cleveland pick next year.''

With two minutes left in the period, Savage called. "We'll do it,'' he said. "Our two this year and next year's one.''

"Deal,'' Jones said.

Savage hung up the phone. There were about 30 people -- coaches, scouts, owner's family and friends -- in the Cleveland draft room, and when Savage said, "We got him!'' the place exploded. One of my HBO buddies, Jason Cohen, a Browns freak, texted me thusly: "Best day of Browns FB in 10 years!"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/04/29/draft/1.html
That's what I'm talking about, Don't back down!

Achilles33
04-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Jerry!! Jerry!!! Jerry!!!

Bow down.

JoeMontainya
04-30-2007, 06:24 PM
The browns hold the cards here. If Quinn tuns out great, we won the trade. If he turns out bad, the Cowboys and more specifically Jerry Jones did GREAT.

Achilles33
04-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Ummm, no. We won the trade either way, because we are getting a top 10, probably top 5 pick. JoeMontainya you are pretty dumb.

Just like you were the frontrunners for Kris Dielman because he is from Ohio. LMAO.

Paul
04-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Both teams won on the trade. Browns got there franchise QB, and we got the guy jerry targeted and a another 1st rounder for next year. If the Browns kept that pick, they would probably used on a QB next year anyways.

robert_in_bigd
04-30-2007, 07:01 PM
I agree that both teams did well with the trade.

Cleveland essentially gave up a second for the option to take their franchise QB a year eariler.

D-Unit
04-30-2007, 07:13 PM
DALLAS WINS!

Pick 22 - 780 points

Pick 36 - 540 points

Difference of 240 points, equivalent of a #70 pick, 3rd Round.

As long as Cleveland's first round pick comes before the 3rd round, pick 70, Dallas WINS! Hardy Fck'n Har Har! Browns got it up the ass.

We got the guy we wanted all along and stole their first rounder next year.

tbraton
04-30-2007, 08:09 PM
DALLAS WINS!

Pick 22 - 780 points

Pick 36 - 540 points

Difference of 240 points, equivalent of a #70 pick, 3rd Round.

As long as Cleveland's first round pick comes before the 3rd round, pick 70, Dallas WINS! Hardy Fck'n Har Har! Browns got it up the ass.

We got the guy we wanted all along and stole their first rounder next year.

Quinn is a #3 pick, better than any QB in next years draft......

Quinn=2200 points

Browns were 6-10 in 2005 and drafted 12th.....injuries and bad breaks caused Browns to lose some tight games......only someone who doesn't know what's on the Browns roster would think they'll be worse than 6-10

12 pick =1200 points
36th pick = 540 points

Cowboys got picks worth 1740 points and Browns got a pick worth 2200 points......Jerry should have asked for the Browns' 2008 2nd or 3rd also. Savage would have swallowed hard and thrown it in........worse yet, Browns may draft lower than 12 next year.....
UH OH!!!!!! Even worse, Cowboys QB is Tony Romo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Romo looked like Charlie Frye in those last 6 games and that fumbled kick snap destroyed him mentally.........Romo's a good guy, but a loser............you got a loser for QB, but he's a good guy....................smartest move would have been Cowboys taking Quinn........

pocketaces
04-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Quinn is a #3 pick? last I checked he was about to fall out of the first round. Desperation caused you guys to morgage your future. And as far as next year - rookie tackle and rookie Q.B. good luck with that.

Im_a_Romosexual
04-30-2007, 08:14 PM
If Quinn is so good why did so many teams pass him up?

M.O.T.H.
04-30-2007, 08:16 PM

You cant look at it that way....Quinn is good, there just wasnt a big need for a QB so he slipped.

tbraton
04-30-2007, 08:17 PM
JoeMontainya you are pretty dumb.

LMAO!!!..........Why do these 14 year old snot-nosed kids from the Browns' board come here?........They should SHUT-TF-UP and go sit in the corner.........

tbraton
04-30-2007, 08:18 PM
You cant look at it that way....Quinn is good, there just wasnt a big need for a QB so he slipped.

Didn't more teams pass on Marino?......Why did most teams ppass on Brady 6 times each?

tbraton
04-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Quinn is a #3 pick? last I checked he was about to fall out of the first round. Desperation caused you guys to morgage your future. And as far as next year - rookie tackle and rookie Q.B. good luck with that.

Another Romosexual!!! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! After next season, Jerry will be calling Phil to see what he wants in trade for Charlie Frye!!!!!!! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! Good thing Jerry and Phil got a good trading relationship.........Desperation had nothing to do with that trade, it was OPPORTUNITY.....Phil was all over it.........you guys will be taking about passing on Quinn for the next 50 years.......you guys got Tony Romo!!!! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Im_a_Romosexual
04-30-2007, 08:22 PM

Yeah I understand that just wanted to say something and it was the first thing to come to my head. I see him having a solid career.

pocketaces
04-30-2007, 08:23 PM
We will see. I'll come visit your board when your 3-7.

D-Unit
04-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Quinn is a #3 pick, better than any QB in next years draft......

Quinn=2200 points

Browns were 6-10 in 2005 and drafted 12th.....injuries and bad breaks caused Browns to lose some tight games......only someone who doesn't know what's on the Browns roster would think they'll be worse than 6-10

12 pick =1200 points
36th pick = 540 points

Cowboys got picks worth 1740 points and Browns got a pick worth 2200 points......Jerry should have asked for the Browns' 2008 2nd or 3rd also. Savage would have swallowed hard and thrown it in........worse yet, Browns may draft lower than 12 next year.....
UH OH!!!!!! Even worse, Cowboys QB is Tony Romo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Romo looked like Charlie Frye in those last 6 games and that fumbled kick snap destroyed him mentally.........Romo's a good guy, but a loser............you got a loser for QB, but he's a good guy....................smartest move would have been Cowboys taking Quinn........
Quinn #3 in next year's draft? What is this? Loony Toons???! HAHAHAHA!!!

That's the most demented logic I've ever heard! The fact that 22 teams passed him up this year makes him worth the #3 pick next year!!!! HAHAHAHHA!!!!!

Destroyed Romo mentally??? ROTFLMFAO!!!!

Romo = Frye??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You F'n Wish!

Frye 2005 - 98/164 comp/att, 59.8% completion %, 1002 yards, 4 TD, 5 INT, 72.8 QB Rating, 3 Wins, 4 Loses

Romo 2006 - 337/220 comp/att, 65.3% completion %, 2903 yards, 19 TD, 13 INT, 95.1 QB Rating, 6 Wins, 5 Loses - Pro Bowl Selection

Im_a_Romosexual
04-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Didn't more teams pass on Marino?......Why did most teams ppass on Brady 6 times each?

Brady didnt even start at Michigan so scouts figured he wouldnt do anything in the pros. Just proves the draft is a crapshoot

tbraton
04-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Quinn #3 in next year's draft? What is this? Loony Toons???! HAHAHAHA!!!

That's the most demented logic I've ever heard! The fact that 22 teams passed him up this year makes him worth the #3 pick next year!!!! HAHAHAHHA!!!!!

Destroyed Romo mentally??? ROTFLMFAO!!!!

Romo = Frye??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You F'n Wish!

Frye 2005 - 98/164 comp/att, 59.8% completion %, 1002 yards, 4 TD, 5 INT, 72.8 QB Rating, 3 Wins, 4 Loses

Romo 2006 - 337/220 comp/att, 65.3% completion %, 2903 yards, 19 TD, 13 INT, 95.1 QB Rating, 6 Wins, 5 Loses - Pro Bowl Selection

The general consensus is the Browns had one of the best drafts.......even Kiper gave the Browns the highest grade.........among nfl gm's, the thinking is that the Browns won that one.....Jerry should have got more for that pick or taken Quinn himself.....are you PUI-ing (posting under he influence)?......

D-Unit
04-30-2007, 08:33 PM
The general consensus is the Browns had one of the best drafts.......even Kiper gave the Browns the highest grade.........among nfl gm's, the thinking is that the Browns won that one.....Jerry should have got more for that pick or taken Quinn himself.....are you PUI-ing (posting under he influence)?......
Kiper gave you the best grade? Holy Fck!

You win.

KILLERSANTA
04-30-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm the nice guy, But wow...Even I gotta say, Brown fans are Dumb. Quinn Drops to 22 so his Value is 2200 Because of next year draft...Which Has Brian Brohm who is better then both Quinn And Russell! That makes cents...............

And Chad Henne > Brady Quinn

So if Romo Does suck this year, We draft the best QB to come out in years in Brian Brohm........Wow, We really lost in that trade(Eyes Rolling to back of Head)...........

Paul
04-30-2007, 08:44 PM
I agree with that. I like Brian Brohm more the quinn.

tbraton
04-30-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm the nice guy, But wow...Even I gotta say, Brown fans are Dumb. Quinn Drops to 22 so his Value is 2200 Because of next year draft...Which Has Brian Brohm who is better then both Quinn And Russell! That makes cents...............

And Chad Henne > Brady Quinn

So if Romo Does suck this year, We draft the best QB to come out in years in Brian Brohm........Wow, We really lost in that trade(Eyes Rolling to back of Head)...........

Funny, you're in the minority of people who think Brohm and Henne are better than Quinn............You don't seem very enthralled with Romo.........Best part of this is that you'll complain about this trade for the next 50 years.....

Achilles33
04-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Know we won't. Dude, we just got Darren McFadden. We raped the Browns. Have fun with a rookie QB and rookie LT. Thanks for the top 5 pick. They are both gonna get hurt too, LMAO. Romo will have a better career than Quinn too.

KILLERSANTA
04-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Funny, you're in the minority of people who think Brohm and Henne are better than Quinn............You don't seem very enthralled with Romo.........Best part of this is that you'll complain about this trade for the next 50 years.....

I said "IF" romo sucks.....which he won't.......By minority do you mean everyone?

Yeah, 50 years......(eyes Rolling to back of head)

Im_a_Romosexual
04-30-2007, 08:50 PM
I see this as Herschel Walker trade II

KILLERSANTA
04-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Why do brown fans even need to come in here? This is a cowboy forum......

Dcboys94
04-30-2007, 09:22 PM
lets see here all in all we could COULD end up with: Mcfadden, Anthony Spencer from the browns...They get a QB that sportingnews.com rated as the #4 QB in the Draft. They Compared him to Joey Harrington...and he was in the 60's on their big board. heres 2 scenarios:

Spencer=Shaun Philipps, McFadden=LT, Quinn=Phillip Rivers or Joey Harrington, either way we end up with a WAYYY better deal

j05son
04-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Regarding the main post by KILLERSANTA, Phil said at his press conference right after the trade and pick, that Dallas was mainly interested in next year's first which was what we were offering.

I agree that both teams did well with the trade.

Cleveland essentially gave up a second for the option to take their franchise QB a year eariler.

Agreed. You guys got a great pass rusher/run stuffer to play backer or on the line. Both Joe Thomas and Levi Brown said he was the toughest player they've faced in their collegiate careers. We received a POTENTIAL franchise quarterback at greater value than what people expected [which would lead to smaller contract, etc]. I think it was a fair trade that obviously benefited both of us.

Both teams won on the trade. Browns got there franchise QB, and we got the guy jerry targeted and a another 1st rounder for next year. If the Browns kept that pick, they would probably used on a QB next year anyways.

QFT 100%. We very much would've had QB's high on our draft board next year and this draft can eliminate that. I know some of you like Brohem/Brennen/Henne more than Quinn but Brady is great for Cleveland. He is obviously better than our current QB situation, but since he's an Ohio boy, he can be the face of the franchise [assuming he doesn't bust/get injured - knock on wood]. He can greatly help with PR for us along with being a highly sought after QB that could do very well.

Larry Allen and Troy Aikman were both rookies once. Troy started off badly but he eventually turned it around to become a HoFer. Desperation had nothing to do with our trade. Phil seemed content on letting Miami draft Quinn and didn't even start to call about trades into #12. It was pure opportunity. When a player [who we considered at #3] is falling only because of "supply and demand" and we found a trade partner than it becomes good opportunity, not a mistake that turned into desperation. Mortgage our future? Quinn is a better fit for CLEVELAND. More so than next year's class. You might think player x is better than y, but we get the player we wanted; that fit our needs, and a year earlier instead of keeping next year's first and drafting one we liked less than Quinn, that didn't have the PR, or fan support that Quinn has, and is a rookie and will have to face his transition then instead of now...

I'm the nice guy, But wow...Even I gotta say, Brown fans are Dumb. Quinn Drops to 22 so his Value is 2200 Because of next year draft...Which Has Brian Brohm who is better then both Quinn And Russell! That makes cents..............

Please don't associate one or two posters and stereotype a group of them as being dumb. We have the same type of fans as you, smart ones, and "tbraton" ones...You taking his posts and accounting them for all Browns fans is cretinous.

Brohm or Brenned or Henne being better than Quinn and/or Russell? Maybe. Quinn fits for US though. That's what we needed. A player that has the skills, leadership, and intangibles we've never had since our expansion. Add to that his connections from Weis to Romeo, and his PR and fan support is through the roof at Cleveland making him a very marketable player [guess what GM's have to make money too].

Lastly, your comment of, "That makes sense" made me laugh a little.

Know we won't. Dude, we just got Darren McFadden. We raped the Browns. Have fun with a rookie QB and rookie LT. Thanks for the top 5 pick. They are both gonna get hurt too, LMAO. Romo will have a better career than Quinn too.

Your reputation seems fitting. If you can't see that the trade was fair for both sides than you are blind. We will have fun with our projected top 10 players. In the end, we had two first round talents that will greatly help our team. You came out with the player you wanted and a mid to high pick for next year that can help you out. Why is that so bad? How did we get raped when we benefited from this trade as did you? Both "gonna" get hurt. Ouch, your comment slays me. Injuries have been troublesome but everyone gets them...

Top 5 pick; perhaps. We have been a team that is getting better every year. We've been adding talent, playmakers and possibly franchise players every year since Phil took the helms. We are suffering from Butch Davis' follies and our recent strand of bad luck of staff infections [which we've done A LOT to prevent] and injuries [which in a sport as physical as football, played at the level of the NFL, are unavoidable]. We are a team that is getting better [even if our record now doesn't indicate that]. Obviously you are to frivolous to understand any of this.

Ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.

Why do brown fans even need to come in here? This is a cowboy forum......

The description of the Cowboy's forum says "to discuss America's team."

That's what you and I are doing. Discussing Dallas and the trade that directly involved your team, and mine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't mean to offend anyone [other than Achilles]. This is the views of a Browns fan on our deal, and a little reasoning to help understand it [why Brady now, why Brady over Brohm/Henne/Brennen, why we traded our first next year to you, etc...]. I feel it was fair, that we both benefited. In the end, I wish the best to you, I think Spencer was a great addition and should be able to blitz along with Ware as a "pinch" that Wade seems to like. Seems to be a great choice to take pressure off of Ware and stop the run. Great selection in my opinion and overall nice draft.

Lastly, nice dealing with you.

Texico From Mexico
04-30-2007, 10:42 PM

If Marino was so good why did 26 other teams pass him up? Beacuse of a FALSE drug rumor!!! Jeez....If Quinn turns out to be a franchise QB ala Manning, Brady etc...then Browns won. Screw your point system..this is not about points but about players! And if Romo falls on his ass which I think he will then who won? What they gave up for a franchise QB was nothing.

reigle9
04-30-2007, 11:55 PM
This is one of those threads that make me hate the internet.

Modano
05-01-2007, 02:07 AM
You Browns play in the AFC, in a strong division and you think you will win more than 6 games?
Browns did a good job for the future, but they won't able to compete in any means next year. Their RB i still Jamal "once upon a time I was good" Lewis, and behind him there's nothing. Braylon Edwards hasn't done anything yet nd Jurevicius is just a slot receiver. Brady Quinn won't have many help, the only 2 things will help him are Winslow and his OL. But as much as I like Thomas, he won't be able to hold all seaso against this type of pass rushers.
Your situation reminds me a lot of Arizona last year. Their fan were all cheering about how good they were gonna be. They had their QB of the future (who's better than Quinn), a top 5 pick LT, two studs WR (and now you have 0, until Edwards break out) and they had a top RB too.
You can make an argument for the best O-line, but if Bentley is not coming back you have two great starters and for the rest average players.
I don't see your defense win a lot of games for you. You still miss a true 3-4 D-line.

This post wasn't referred to j05son. He's a rationale guy. It's for the other Browns fans who came here.

leroyisgod
05-01-2007, 08:06 AM
The browns hold the cards here. If Quinn tuns out great, we won the trade. If he turns out bad, the Cowboys and more specifically Jerry Jones did GREAT.

You cannot just make that statement and leave it at that. If Quinn turns out great, Romo turns out great and our #1 pick via you next year turns out solid...both teams win. If Quinn fails and either Romo or #1 pick excell...we win. If Quinn turns out great and both Romo & #1 pick fail...Browns win.

thule
05-02-2007, 01:07 PM
j05son great post +rep

I'm along the same lines. Browns gave up what they thought fit for a QB they would have taken next year if in the same position. Makes sense to me.

We picked up a future first for a 3rd and 5th...and still got out guy...looks fine to me.

jdnoyes
05-02-2007, 04:00 PM
j05son great post +rep

I'm along the same lines. Browns gave up what they thought fit for a QB they would have taken next year if in the same position. Makes sense to me.

We picked up a future first for a 3rd and 5th...and still got out guy...looks fine to me.

yeah very nice post jo5son, I couldn't have said it better. Why does there have to be a winner and loser on this trade. The Browns would have most likely used that top 15 pick on a QB next year anyways, why not start his development a year early, makes sense to me. The Cowboys on the other hand got their guy and will get another quality player next year for their trouble. How can you see it as anything other than a win win for both teams. Even if Romo and or Quinn fails I just don't buy it as a loss for either team. Hindsight is always 20/20, but both teams came out winners on saturday no doubt about it.

j05son
05-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks Modano, Thule, and jdnoyes.

Seems like Jones and Phil trade similarly [said Savage in a PC] so I eventually see more discussion of trades possibly between us.

Unless Phil and Romeo get fired since Browns fans will be at a rage if we go 4-12 or 6-10, etc, and call for their jobs...

Cleveland seems to think coaching is like leasing cars, a couple years and start over...Stability in our front office would work wonders.

D-Fence
05-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Wait, people still think Brady Quinn is a franchise type QB? LOL

j05son
05-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Wait, people still think Brady Quinn is a franchise type QB? LOL

I wish you could read...

Number 10
05-02-2007, 11:30 PM
I heard Jones wanted Ross and Smith.

thule
05-02-2007, 11:38 PM
I heard Jones wanted Ross and Smith.

Ross was a target...so was Meachem and Meriweather...don't know exactly what smith your talking about.

Ewing
05-02-2007, 11:51 PM
If the Browns finish with a better record than the Cowboys I'm going to laugh my ass off at you idiots jumping the gun and saying that they're going to have a top five pick.

thule
05-03-2007, 12:17 AM
If the Browns finish with a better record than the Cowboys I'm going to laugh my ass off at you idiots jumping the gun and saying that they're going to have a top five pick.

I'm not going to say it can't happen...but a rookie QB and a worn down RB and a rookie LT blocking his backside. Plus they have no DL, and could use some help on the outside. Factor that in to the equation that they play in one of the hardest divisions in football and in the AFC...seems pretty far fetched to me.

D-Unit
05-03-2007, 12:48 AM
This coming from a Titans fan? Ooooooookaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy............

Number 10
05-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Ross was a target...so was Meachem and Meriweather...don't know exactly what smith your talking about.

Steve....in the 2nd.

D-Unit
05-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Steve....in the 2nd.
I never heard anything throughout the draft process that would lead anyone to believe Steve Smith was a target. Did Jerry mention this after the draft or something? We weren't in the market for a #2 WR type... there were plenty of those that we passed on because of the guys we already have on the roster. I don't think anyone considers Smith to be a #1 type in the NFL.

And as much as Ross was a target, I highly doubt we would've picked him ahead of Spencer. We probably would've drafted Merriweather ahead of Ross as well.

da11a5c0wb0y5
05-03-2007, 10:58 PM
We'll see how the Browns do next year...

if they get into the playoffs then I would have to say the Browns got the better of the trade...(which is possible but not probable)
I mean they got their QB, LT, WR, and TE, positions set with Quinn, Joe Thomas, Braylon Edwards, and Kellen Winslow. Its not like their team sucks...they have a lot of young talent...

but at the end of the day, I think the AFC is just too strong for them to complete their run into the playoffs...

I see the Browns being 8-8 at best...
hopefully they go 0-16