PDA

View Full Version : Asthma

nvot9
04-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Sorry if this seems like an unnecessary topic to some of you, but to those on this board with asthma, you'll understand how I feel, so sorry, but I REALLY need to vent right now...

If you have ever felt frustrated in your life, multiply that by 100 and make it around breathing and you'll have a little taste of my life. I struggle, every second of my life, just to breath, something most of you don't even think about doing. Breathing's gotta be one of the most underrated things in the world.

I mean every time I eat, specifically larger meals, my air passage gets clogged up and I'm only able to breathe through my nose. I find my self constantly gasping for air and looking stupid trying to take a deep breath. It's the most frustrating thing I've ever done, I try to take a deep breath, but I just can't get that extra push of the air upwards and out of my mouth. I'm pretty much restricted to breathing through my nose and not my mouth, because then I start thinking about it and it all goes downhill from there.

In addition, it takes extreme concentration for me to breath, when I need to take a deep breath, I literally need COMPLETE silence and have to remain motionless so I can focus all my attention and effort towards pushing out just a little air, so that I can relax for another few seconds before I have to go through the same thing again. Sometimes I try to play a game and see how long I can go without doing it, even making promises to myself that I'm not gunna take one of those stupid deep/yawning breaths the rest of the day, only to do it 3 minutes later.

Especially for someone like myself, who is a big athlete and loves to run around non stop, I find chronic asthma to be a big roadblock.

I mean I take a mild steroid, called Flovent, twice a day, and find myself taking Albuterol (the regular medicine that you find in inhalers and such) so often that I've almost become immune to any affects it may have, positive and negative.

That all being said, anyone got any suggestions for me, any ways that I can calm down when having an attack and relax? For the most part though, I just needed to vent...

Vikes99ej
04-30-2007, 08:19 PM
I have asthma as well. It is not much of a problem now, but I still use my Flovent twice a day. It used to bother me a lot in my younger days, and it flared it so much one time that I had to visit the hospital for an overnight stay. I still don't think I will go off my inhaler for a while, though.

nvot9
04-30-2007, 08:21 PM
How do you control it? I really think that if, and get ready for this outrageously homosexual comment, if I could control it mentally and in my mind, than I would feel much better and wouldn't be getting it as bad/often.

It sucks don;t it...

DChess
04-30-2007, 08:21 PM
asthma's for weiners

Vikes99ej
04-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Whenever it got bad for me, I would just use my inhaler, even if I had just used it an hour or less before. I would also try to take a whole breath without faltering.

DraftMasterG
04-30-2007, 08:43 PM
asthma's for weiners

i have a chode does that count

ElectricEye
04-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Yeah...I have it as well. Not to that extent, but it does suck. I feel for you man. Theres nothing I can really recommend, unfortunately. It sucks, and you've been dealt a bad hand. The only thing you can do is just try your best to not let it get in the way, even if that's not completely possible.

draftguru151
04-30-2007, 09:11 PM
I've got it too but it isn't that bad. Playing football the last 4 years with it wasn't fun.

Don Vito
04-30-2007, 09:13 PM
I take albuterol and flovent, but the only time my asthma really bothers me is when we do running in dry, dusty air which is usually in pre-season camps. That absolutely kills me.

Ravens1991
04-30-2007, 09:14 PM
wow I just thought it just hit when you work hard, I didnt know it affected every day life. I feel for all you asthma people now.

SuperKevin
04-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Sucks to your asthmar Piggy!

Sorry but I had to throw out my favorite lin from Lord of the Flies

wiscbadgerfootball
04-30-2007, 09:39 PM
oh dear.. Lord of the Flies

SuperKevin
04-30-2007, 09:40 PM
oh dear.. Lord of the Flies

Don't necissarily care for the book that much but I love when he says that to the fat kid

Staubach12
04-30-2007, 09:50 PM
wow I just thought it just hit when you work hard, I didnt know it affected every day life. I feel for all you asthma people now.

I agree. I really didn't know it was that bad. I feel for you guys.

BuckNaked
04-30-2007, 09:51 PM
i have a chode does that count

People with chodes do not have souls.