PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Program

Greg Behrendt
10-26-2006, 06:57 AM
Greetings Gentleman. This thread is designed to discuss the most overrated program over the last 10 years. I guessing there will be some great e-banter but lets try and keep this thread from breaking out into another tOSU v. Michigan thread, we have several of those already.

I have added a poll question with some of the big dogs who usually get to much credit every year. But by all means discuss other teams I have left out. Please remember this is over ten years, not a couple.

Also, judge the programs by NFL talent put out.

Greg Behrendt
10-26-2006, 07:05 AM
To me, by far the most overrated program is Texas.

This team is ranked in the Top 5 basically every year, have top 5 recruiting classes every year, and if it wasn't for one man who goes by the name of Vince Young Texas would continue to do absolutly nothing. Also, lets not forget this team(minus VY) chokes in every single big game I have ever seen them play. Oklahoma Domination

The one thing going for Texas is the caliber of NFL players they put out. However, most of these programs put out great NFL players minus Notre Dame(cheap shot).

Iamcanadian
10-26-2006, 07:35 AM
Florida St and Penn St.

Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno are simply way too old to be still coaching.
It looks to me that Joe has become just a figurehead holding on for a few more victories while his OC and DC are actually coaching the team. It seems like a pathetic end to an absolutely tremendous career and I think he should just retire.
Bowden is a worst case senerio, he's also way too old to be coaching but I suspect he hasn't turned the coaching over to his co-ordinators. He's still trying to coach and the team is collapsing around him. He has simply gotten way past his prime and Florida St will continue on their steep decline until they force him out. It also doesn't help that his son is a terrible OC and needs to go as well.

Jughead10
10-26-2006, 07:40 AM
I think Bowden is pretty much in the same boat as Paterno now although I feel he might do every so slightly more. Mickey Andrews seems like he has full control over that defense and Bowden's soon seems to pretty much run the offense. Both these guys are their for inspiration and recruiting. Although I feel Bowden might be a little more hands on with the players.

Iamcanadian
10-26-2006, 07:49 AM
I think Bowden is pretty much in the same boat as Paterno now although I feel he might do every so slightly more. Mickey Andrews seems like he has full control over that defense and Bowden's soon seems to pretty much run the offense. Both these guys are their for inspiration and recruiting. Although I feel Bowden might be a little more hands on with the players.

I get the impression Bowden still runs the ship while Paterno has graciusly stepped aside. Neither one want to retire and let the other one pass him in the overall victories list.
You have to wonder if Florida St will have to force Bowden out because he is starting to make his college into a loosing program.

Jughead10
10-26-2006, 07:51 AM

I get the impression Bowden still runs the ship while Paterno has graciusly stepped aside. Neither one want to retire and let the other one pass him in the overall victories list.
You have to wonder if Florida St will have to force Bowden out because he is starting to make his college into a loosing program.

Apprently they want him out. It is a sticky situation. The one who should probably get fired is his son. They have called for his head for a while now, but that is fine line to walk with daddy being the head football coach.

P-L
10-26-2006, 10:15 AM
I think teams like Texas, Michigan, and Ohio State should be out of consideration right away, at least imo. All three teams have won a National Championship in those years and all are constantly ranked in the top 10. Texas not so much throughout the whole 10 years. Tennessee and Florida State have also won championships, but they haven't been near the top as much as the other three have. I'd probably go with Georgia actually. Year after year I hear how Mike Richt is one of college football's great coaches, and I still have yet to see it. His recruiting classes are overrated and people always want to put them with the upper tier programs. I'm really not sold they are of the level of Ohio State, Michigan, Miami, USC, and Texas.

manning18
10-26-2006, 10:22 AM
I think this is easily Notre Dame.

BuddyCHRIST
10-26-2006, 10:27 AM
well if we're doing from 96, FSU has been in 3 national championship games. Only other team with that much is USC.

sodar21
10-26-2006, 11:01 AM
well if we're doing from 96, FSU has been in 3 national championship games. Only other team with that much is USC.FSU also used to play in a weak ACC where it was easy to go unbeaten. The only challenges they had were Florida and Miami and Miami was down in the late 90s. I think FSU only lost 2 ACC games in the entire decade of the 1990s which shows how absolutely pathetic the ACC was.

From the list I have to agree Greg Behrendt that its Texas. Georgia is another strong consideration considering the fact that they haven't won a NC in a while and haven't really competed for one either other than maybe 2002 where they got closest in recent memory. Texas for a major all time program seems to be the #1 recruiting class every year so you would think they would do better than they are doing. Sure teams like Florida, Ohio State, Michigan are all getting elite recruits but they are never consistently #1. Bob Stoops totally owned Mack Brown for the past few years till Vince Young came along and carried the Texas team on his back. Heck look at how much this one guy did for a team supposedly full of high school superstars.

And while Texas has had produced a lot of top 10 picks in recent drafts, second most to Miami IIRC, overall their list of players is not that impressive. They have a couple of elite players in Shaun Rogers, Hampton and maybe Roy Williams (he'll get there) but I believe in total Texas has fewer players in the NFL than say Wisconsin or Texas A&M.

snuff
10-26-2006, 11:07 AM
ND, Returning to glory since 1988.

They have lost 8 bowl games in a row... They haven't won a bowl game in 12 years.

danman253
10-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Notre Dame and its not even close

TIP
10-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Florida St and Penn St.

Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno are simply way too old to be still coaching.
It looks to me that Joe has become just a figurehead holding on for a few more victories while his OC and DC are actually coaching the team. It seems like a pathetic end to an absolutely tremendous career and I think he should just retire.
Bowden is a worst case senerio, he's also way too old to be coaching but I suspect he hasn't turned the coaching over to his co-ordinators. He's still trying to coach and the team is collapsing around him. He has simply gotten way past his prime and Florida St will continue on their steep decline until they force him out. It also doesn't help that his son is a terrible OC and needs to go as well.

THey are not overrated programs, maybe overrated coaches right now, but certainly not overrated programs. PSU is actually rising from their dismal seasons in early 2000, and barring this year, FSU has always been a top tier program...so no, they are not overated programs at all. ND is the most overrated, them and Georgia, always hyped up to make a BCS Bowl, possible National championship...yet never delivering

Jughead10
10-26-2006, 11:18 AM
If it wasn't for this year, I would be almost inclined to say Michigan. Mainly beacuse of Lloyd Carr. I guess the talent is just so good there this year, that he would have to be an even bigger moron than we know he is to screw up this seaosn.

danman253
10-26-2006, 11:21 AM
If it wasn't for this year, I would be almost inclined to say Michigan. Mainly beacuse of Lloyd Carr. I guess the talent is just so good there this year, that he would have to be an even bigger moron than we know he is to screw up this seaosn.
I put much more blame on those dolts Jim Hermann and Terry Malone than Lloyd

diabsoule
10-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Notre Dame and its not even close

Here, here!

Jughead10
10-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Does anyone know a site where I can pull up the preseason polls from these years in question?

Greg Behrendt
10-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know a site where I can pull up the preseason polls from these years in question?
I was going to do that but had to go to school. Go ahead and do it if you want.

I should go back and change my vote to Notre Dame, they are the most overrated team and probally always will be.

Jughead10
10-26-2006, 11:51 AM
I was going to do that but had to go to school. Go ahead and do it if you want.

I should go back and change my vote to Notre Dame, they are the most overrated team and probally always will be.

I would check it out but I can't find a site that provides that info. My point being that I'm not sure Notre Dame is the most overrated. Mostly because they really weren't expected to do much. Last year they were unranked and receieved one vote in the preseason poll. Who was overrating them.

Michigan started at 4 and ended up being unranked.

Who was overrated there?

I'm going to lunch but I'll look into it deeper in a bit.

nrk
10-26-2006, 12:04 PM
well if we're doing from 96, FSU has been in 3 national championship games. Only other team with that much is USC.
Actually, OU has played in 3, and USC has only played in 2. :roll:

Shane P. Hallam
10-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Notre Dame. In this ten year period, they haven't met expectations, yet every year it feels like they SHOULD win. They never do. Also, NFL output hasn't been as tremendous as the other schools IMO...

Greg Behrendt
10-26-2006, 01:17 PM
I cant believe Florida hasnt been getting more mention. I guess there good year has blinded everyone. The Gators havent done anything really in the last 10 years. I think one BCS bowl apperance and a couple SEC championship games. This is a team that always has highly ranked recruiting classes and doesnt do much. Also, they havent been putting out a whole lot of elite NFL prospects. Thoughts, opinions, objections?

Jughead10
10-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Notre Dame. In this ten year period, they haven't met expectations, yet every year it feels like they SHOULD win. They never do. Also, NFL output hasn't been as tremendous as the other schools IMO...

I looked into it a bit as far as past polls. Notre Dame hasn't been good in the past 10 years (at least up to their standards), that much is obvious. But who was overrating them? There were a quite a few times where they weren't in the top 25 in the preseason polls.

There is a difference between struggling and being overrated. They have struggled over the past 10 years but the media has been right on with them most years as to where they thought they would be and where they actually ended up.

P-L
10-26-2006, 01:18 PM
I cant believe Florida hasnt been getting more mention. I guess there good year has blinded everyone. The Gators havent done anything really in the last 10 years. I think one BCS bowl apperance and a couple SEC championship games. This is a team that always has highly ranked recruiting classes and doesnt do much. Also, they havent been putting out a whole lot of elite NFL prospects. Thoughts, opinions, objections?

They won a National Championship in 1996.

danman253
10-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Every year it seems as though Notre Dame is either supposed to be a BCS bowl team or a national champ. Year in and year out. Even last year. Weis came in, and even though they did not start ranked, they were supposed to be at worst a 2 loss team by their standards. Look at this year. One loss and this season is a bust.

P-L
10-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Notre Dame has really only had really high expectations a few of the last 10 years. Ty's second year they were highly ranked and Charlie's second year. People forget that Notre Dame wasn't ranked in the preseason top 25 for most of the last 10 years.

Jughead10
10-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Every year it seems as though Notre Dame is either supposed to be a BCS bowl team or a national champ. Year in and year out. Even last year. Weis came in, and even though they did not start ranked, they were supposed to be at worst a 2 loss team by their standards. Look at this year. One loss and this season is a bust.

Same could be said with Michigan. They have often been ranked in the top 8 in the country preseason and more time than not have not finished in that area.

Also every year it doesn't seem like Notre Dame is supposed to be a BCS bowl team. This is the first year it has been like that in a long time.

Jughead10
10-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Notre Dame has really only had really high expectations a few of the last 10 years. Ty's second year they were highly ranked and Charlie's second year. People forget that Notre Dame wasn't ranked in the preseason top 25 for most of the last 10 years.

Thank you. Which is why they shouldn't be winning this poll. If this poll was which team was the worst over the past 10 years, fine vote for Notre Dame then. But not many people were overrating them. I voted for Georgia.

danman253
10-26-2006, 01:25 PM

Same could be said with Michigan. They have often been ranked in the top 8 in the country preseason and more time than not have not finished in that area.

Also every year it doesn't seem like Notre Dame is supposed to be a BCS bowl team. This is the first year it has been like that in a long time.

i agree michigan is usually overrated, but there is no way that they are blasted for a 1-2 loss season like ND usually is.

10-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Seriously, Notre Dame should not even be an option. let alone be in the lead.

P-L
10-26-2006, 01:28 PM

Thank you. Which is why they shouldn't be winning this poll. If this poll was which team was the worst over the past 10 years, fine vote for Notre Dame then. But not many people were overrating them. I voted for Georgia.

As did I. If I were to re-make this poll I'd remove Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, and Florida State as they have all produced the the last 10 years, or in Notre Dame's case, not expected to produce.

TIP
10-26-2006, 02:04 PM
when talking about ND, many people look at the fact that they have such a great and successful History. One the greatest football program in College Histiry comes to mind when you think ND. So some people perceive them as being habitually a top tier team, over the last ten years they really have not been on that level

Greg Behrendt
10-26-2006, 02:35 PM

Then underachieved for 9 years, and are now having a good season.

Ward
10-26-2006, 02:40 PM
If this was before last year's Rose Bowl, I'd vote Texas easily. The whole program was defined by failing to live up to expectations. Now I'd have to say Michigan or Tennessee.

Greg Behrendt
10-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Michigan or Tennessee.
Elaborate. The only reason I gave them consideration was because of last seasons top 5 preseason rankings then 7-5 and 5-6 records.

Ward
10-26-2006, 02:56 PM
Michigan or Tennessee.
Elaborate. The only reason I gave them consideration was because of last seasons top 5 preseason rankings then 7-5 and 5-6 records.

The talent level on both teams the past decade have not translated into the kind of records it should have. The expectations have been high, thus making them overrated. I'm generalizing, of course. They've both had years where they did live up to the majority of expectations. I voted ND, so it doesn't matter too much what my thoughts on Big Blue or Tennessee are.

snuff
10-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Ok I broke it down for some teams:

ND -20
Mich -36
USC -18
Ten -65
OSU -23
FSU -39
LSU -6

This is the difference between the starting and ending ranking in polls from 96-05.

ND had +17last year and Michigan has -22, made a huge swing which with be off set this year.

Math might be off a few, but its pretty accurate.

From 89-04 ND was the most overrated team with -70, with USC in second at -56.

Since 96 when ND has actually been ranked at the beginning of the season they have never gone up. They have actually never finished inside the top 25 when they started in the top 25, which is 4 times.

P-L
10-26-2006, 04:59 PM
So the correct answer was Tennessee?

Michigan
10-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Notre Dame easily. How many bowls have they won in the last 19335 years? Charlie Weis's biggest win up to this point has been losing 31-34 to usc.

yourfavestoner
10-26-2006, 06:15 PM

Two words: Ron Zook.

10-26-2006, 06:57 PM
i feel that michigan has been strongly overated in the past(as in not including this year).they have been put into high rankings and have usualy not succeded up to the expectations.
this year they do have a very good team though and will succede above the expectations.
psu and fsu have faded dramatically.
the u just plain sucks.ever since the osu game they have totaly gone downhill.

njx9
10-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Ok I broke it down for some teams:

ND -20
Mich -36
USC -18
Ten -65
OSU -23
FSU -39
LSU -6

This is the difference between the starting and ending ranking in polls from 96-05.

ND had +17last year and Michigan has -22, made a huge swing which with be off set this year.

Math might be off a few, but its pretty accurate.

From 89-04 ND was the most overrated team with -70, with USC in second at -56.

Since 96 when ND has actually been ranked at the beginning of the season they have never gone up. They have actually never finished inside the top 25 when they started in the top 25, which is 4 times.

is there a reason you skipped 1995?

snuff
10-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Not really NJX, if you look at the poll it says 96-06.

Also Michigan since 96 Michigan has gone up in rank 4 out of the 10 times.

And out of the 6 times they feel they were all less than 7, except of course for last year.

They have only fallen from a top10 place four times and none where that far...
in 2006 they fell from 4 to off.
in 2004 they fell from 8 to 14.
in 2000 they fell from 6 to 11.
in 1998 the fell from 5 to 12.

achilles109
10-26-2006, 08:05 PM
flame me all you want but I voted tennesse.. They won a national championship, sure, but every year they are ranked higher in the preseason polls than they end up. They always look good on paper, but never amount to squat.. Tennesse doesn't get as much media attention as Notre Dame, Texas, USC, and Michigan, but they still under produce every year.

TIP
10-26-2006, 08:10 PM
i feel that michigan has been strongly overated in the past(as in not including this year).they have been put into high rankings and have usualy not succeded up to the expectations.
this year they do have a very good team though and will succede above the expectations.
psu and fsu have faded dramatically.
the u just plain sucks.ever since the osu game they have totaly gone downhill.

Not really, FSU besides the last two years has alwasy been top tier, and PSU had a couple of bad years, and are no back to being a good team (granted this year they have struggled, but they are extremely young, but have really god recruits coming. They have faded slightly, but to say dramatically I must disagree

njx9
10-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Not really NJX, if you look at the poll it says 96-06.

Also Michigan since 96 Michigan has gone up in rank 4 out of the 10 times.

And out of the 6 times they feel they were all less than 7, except of course for last year.

They have only fallen from a top10 place four times and none where that far...
in 2006 they fell from 4 to off.
in 2004 they fell from 8 to 14.
in 2000 they fell from 6 to 11.
in 1998 the fell from 5 to 12.

nope, you're right, i read the 04 on the notre dame part as "94" instead. nm.

snuff
10-26-2006, 08:33 PM
nope, you're right, i read the 04 on the notre dame part as "94" instead. nm. Gj stupid moderator.

njx9
10-26-2006, 09:56 PM
nope, you're right, i read the 04 on the notre dame part as "94" instead. nm. Gj stupid moderator.

for a second, i thought i was finally going to get a chance to argue with you about something meaningless.

snuff
10-26-2006, 10:52 PM

for a second, i thought i was finally going to get a chance to argue with you about something meaningless. Some day we can.

Brent
10-27-2006, 12:44 AM
To me, by far the most overrated program is Texas.
Agreed.

Jughead10
10-27-2006, 07:18 AM
They have actually never finished inside the top 25 when they started in the top 25, which is 4 times.

I thought I remembered them starting at about 22 one season and actually finishing in the exact same spot at the end of the year.

Greg Behrendt
10-27-2006, 10:52 AM
flame me all you want but I voted tennesse.. They won a national championship, sure, but every year they are ranked higher in the preseason polls than they end up. They always look good on paper, but never amount to squat.. Tennesse doesn't get as much media attention as Notre Dame, Texas, USC, and Michigan, but they still under produce every year.
I am a huge Tennessee fan and agree with everything you said unfortantly. To help further your point Tennessee gets more media coverage then probally any team. They are seen on national television pretty much every week, whether it be ESPN Primetime or CBS. However the one argument for Tennessee is there schedule. Teams such as Texas(although the big 12 wasnt always horrible) and USC should pretty much always go through the regular season with 1 loss or less. SEC teams on the other hand just beat the **** out of each other.

snuff
10-27-2006, 12:12 PM
They have actually never finished inside the top 25 when they started in the top 25, which is 4 times.

I thought I remembered them starting at about 22 one season and actually finishing in the exact same spot at the end of the year. That would be true. My bad I somehow missed the 0 on 98.

PMac
10-27-2006, 02:27 PM
nd

LonghornsLegend
10-27-2006, 02:34 PM
I am a huge Tennessee fan and agree with everything you said unfortantly. To help further your point Tennessee gets more media coverage then probally any team. They are seen on national television pretty much every week, whether it be ESPN Primetime or CBS. However the one argument for Tennessee is there schedule. Teams such as Texas(although the big 12 wasnt always horrible) and USC should pretty much always go through the regular season with 1 loss or less. SEC teams on the other hand just beat the *********** out of each other.

thats not a knock on usc or texas, thats a compliment to mack brown and pete carrol, its gotten to the point to where all the top tier athletes want to choose from those schools first, then everywhere else second, thus the coordinator jobs are highly touted, which is how we landed chiznik from auburn the year they went undefeated...

it used to be where more schools in the big 12 spread out the talent, its swaying more and more as of recently....but i hope we continue to schedule big non conference games, i love it as a fan, shows me what my team really has....

i dont mind losing games to the likes of OSU, and im sure their true fans didnt mind losing to use that year, says alot about your program, and when you win, it helps out more then anything....

achilles109
10-27-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't mean to sound like a jackass, but the reason we didn't mind lossing to texas is because we were on top all game.. A few missed opertuinitys, Ryan Hamby, Huston field goals, Smith saftey, and Zwick fumbul swung it in texa's favor. Its not that Texas did not deserve to win, they obviously did because they didnt shoot themselves in the foot as much, but Ohio State knew they could outplay the top teams in the nation....

Penn State was a heart breaker

Greg Behrendt
10-27-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't mean to sound like a jackass, but the reason we didn't mind lossing to texas is because we were on top all game.. A few missed opertuinitys, Ryan Hamby, Huston field goals, Smith saftey, and Zwick fumbul swung it in texa's favor. Its not that Texas did not deserve to win, they obviously did because they didnt shoot themselves in the foot as much, but Ohio State knew they could outplay the top teams in the nation....

Just let it all out. Don't hold back your feelings.

snuff
10-27-2006, 03:22 PM
I am a huge Tennessee fan and agree with everything you said unfortantly. To help further your point Tennessee gets more media coverage then probally any team. They are seen on national television pretty much every week, whether it be ESPN Primetime or CBS. However the one argument for Tennessee is there schedule. Teams such as Texas(although the big 12 wasnt always horrible) and USC should pretty much always go through the regular season with 1 loss or less. SEC teams on the other hand just beat the *********** out of each other.

thats not a knock on usc or texas, thats a compliment to mack brown and pete carrol, its gotten to the point to where all the top tier athletes want to choose from those schools first, then everywhere else second, thus the coordinator jobs are highly touted, which is how we landed chiznik from auburn the year they went undefeated...

Dont compare USC and Texas in recruiting... Everyone looks to USC, but Texas is no different than Michigan or tOSU. They both pretty much clean up in their state which is all Texas really does, they just have a lot larger talent base.

2006 Texas class had 2 out of state prospects and they were a 3 and 4 star prospect. They had 25 come in.
2005 had 2 out of state prospect, again a 3 and 4 star. They had 15 come in.
2004 0 out of state prospects. They had 20 come in.
2003 0 out of state prospects. They had 18 come in.

MagnumGator
10-27-2006, 08:01 PM

Florida went to three BCS bowls in the five years after the national championship. Then Ron Zook was Ron Zook for three years. This season we have a very good shot at a BCS bowl and things look bright for the future. We also probably played more eventual national champions than anyone over that span (4). Recruiting was always pretty good but usually not upper echelon.

achilles109
10-27-2006, 09:12 PM

Just let it all out. Don't hold back your feelings.

I don't think that was too bad... I gave credit to Texas, they did win a National Championship :(

portermvp84
10-28-2006, 01:20 AM
ND just for the fact that they don't win very many bowl games.

LonghornsLegend
10-28-2006, 03:22 PM

Dont compare USC and Texas in recruiting... Everyone looks to USC, but Texas is no different than Michigan or tOSU. They both pretty much clean up in their state which is all Texas really does, they just have a lot larger talent base.

2006 Texas class had 2 out of state prospects and they were a 3 and 4 star prospect. They had 25 come in.

whats your point? cause i really dont care

sodar21
10-28-2006, 03:36 PM

If you don't care then why are you asking what is point is?

Pokeys
10-28-2006, 03:51 PM
UT recruiting is fine... The thing is we dont need to go out of state because we have all the best talent in the great state of Texas. When we speak with recruits out of state Oscar, Ken, Mac, Bobby all go through the motions and we dont really extend ourselves to recruiting these guys unless they are five star recruits. We get the best players from Texas usually without any hassle.

This year we have got 3 out of state recruits so far and one of them is a Five star QB and the other is a Four star player. Thats all we really need for out of state recruits. Everything else we can find in Texas :).

Speaking of overrated, Georgia & ND get my votes. No question here in my opinion.

dcarey20
10-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Georgia....haven't really accomplished as much as it may seem as far as bowl games...and they haven't had anywhere near the amount of pro players as programs like miami, florida state, etc.

LonghornsLegend
10-28-2006, 10:05 PM

If you don't care then why are you asking what is point is?

because you dont realize how pointless it is to note that texas does not recruit out of state athletes, seeing as how majority of the in state ones they land are blue chip, 5 star athletes...i didnt know that was a part of the job, lets get alot of good athletes, and make sure a handful are out of state for diversity :roll:

i honestly dont care if we get all texas players, or all florida, or from everywhere, as long as we continue to finish in the top 5 across the nation EVERY year in recruiting the best athletes at every position, i personally could care less what state they are from, and i highly doubt anyone else cares where they went to HS

P-L
10-28-2006, 10:09 PM
His point was the USC gets people from all over the nation every year, but teams like Ohio State, Texas, and Michigan take the best in-state prospects and then get only a few out of state guys. USC is on top of the recruiting world, and teams like Texas, OSU, and Mich are behind them.

LonghornsLegend
10-28-2006, 10:19 PM
His point was the USC gets people from all over the nation every year, but teams like Ohio State, Texas, and Michigan take the best in-state prospects and then get only a few out of state guys. USC is on top of the recruiting world, and teams like Texas, OSU, and Mich are behind them.

which is fine by me even if that is the case....

but still, since 2000 im not sure how many times Texas has landed the top class, but its been more then once, the times we havent we have been in the top 5....ill take that any day, even if they are only players in texas

nrk
10-28-2006, 11:35 PM
UT doesn't completely clean up the best recruits from their state. OU takes a lot from Texas also.

10-29-2006, 12:16 AM
UT doesn't completely clean up the best recruits from their state. OU takes a lot from Texas also.

AD being 1

LonghornsLegend
10-29-2006, 12:19 AM

AD being 1

they take alot more then that, but texas cant have every single athlete that is good in texas, they dont have enough scholarships to go around like that, we get a nice handful, and try to make the best out of them...but im not worried about losing atheletes to oklahoma, its more then just a few good football players out of texas, its not like this is a small state for football talent

yodabear
10-29-2006, 12:20 AM
I voted for ND, and they are running away with it.

Fraser75
10-29-2006, 01:23 AM
Try Miami(Fla) and why they aren't even on the list over a Florida State team who beat them heads up is beyond me. They're just a bunch of thugs who get everything handed to them. Until recently, they had hardly any compition to worry about in the regular season and all those Nation Championships while playing in the Big Easy are all tainted, they didn't play a worthy scedule.

soybean
10-29-2006, 03:21 AM
UT recruiting is fine... The thing is we dont need to go out of state because we have all the best talent in the great state of Texas. When we speak with recruits out of state Oscar, Ken, Mac, Bobby all go through the motions and we dont really extend ourselves to recruiting these guys unless they are five star recruits. We get the best players from Texas usually without any hassle.

This year we have got 3 out of state recruits so far and one of them is a Five star QB and the other is a Four star player. Thats all we really need for out of state recruits. Everything else we can find in Texas :).

Speaking of overrated, Georgia & ND get my votes. No question here in my opinion.

they ARE the best athletes in the nation, but the thing is they are really really stupid. i wouldnt trust them taking a 6th grade math test.

duckseason
10-29-2006, 03:29 AM

they ARE the best athletes in the nation, but the thing is they are really really stupid. i wouldnt trust them taking a 6th grade math test.

Who is "they"? Longhorn recruits? Are you being serious about those 2 comments?

soybean
10-29-2006, 03:34 AM

not about the first one, but yeah about the second one.

Who is "they"? Longhorn recruits? Are you being serious about those 2 comments?

snuff
10-29-2006, 03:36 AM
There are smart and stupid recruits at every university.... USC is no better than UT.

Pokeys
10-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Yeah... You can be blessed with all the speed and physical attributes in the world but if your not a somewhat smart player you aint going to be much of a player.

danman253
10-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah... You can be blessed with all the speed and physical attributes in the world but if your not a somewhat smart player you aint going to be much of a player.

Didn't Vince Young get an awful Wonderlic score? He's a pretty good player.

And i'd venture to guess that Chad Johnson, Sean Taylor and Randy Moss weren't rhodes scholars either, so where are you getting at?

ToldLikeItIs
10-29-2006, 09:58 AM
hahhahahaah

Danman

It's Rhodes scholar.

ahhhhh funny

Pokeys
10-29-2006, 10:29 AM

And i'd venture to guess that Chad Johnson, Sean Taylor and Randy Moss weren't rogue scholars either, so where are you getting at?

I wasnt referring to how they do on Wonderlic tests or academics. Football Smarts....

Sean Taylor lol... Is he a great player or something?

draftguru151
10-29-2006, 10:31 AM

And i'd venture to guess that Chad Johnson, Sean Taylor and Randy Moss weren't rogue scholars either, so where are you getting at?

I wasnt referring to how they do on Wonderlic tests or academics. Football Smarts....

Sean Taylor lol... Is he a great player or something?

:?

snuff
10-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Wtf is a rogue scholar?

I guess danman's in the same boat with Vince, as not being a Rhodes Scholar.

10-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Wtf is a rogue scholar?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

danman253
10-29-2006, 04:29 PM
whoops :lol: :lol:

danman253
10-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Wtf is a rogue scholar?

Gotcha snuff :wink:

danman253
10-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Wtf is a rogue scholar?

allright cheap shot by #1SaintsFan, couldn't expet it from a nicer guy :roll:

10-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Wtf is a rogue scholar?

allright cheap shot by #1SaintsFan, couldn't expet it from a nicer guy :roll:

No cheap shot. I don't hold grudges in life, much less on message boards. Snuff made a funny comment. I'm not getting into it with you again.