PDA

View Full Version : Compiled Draft Grades

dc4life
04-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Compiled Draft grades from various websites/experts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?id=2854030

Highest Grade: Cleveland Browns (4.0 GPA)
Lowest Grade: Washington Redskins (1.2 GPA)

Really no surprise there.

themaninblack
04-30-2007, 11:38 PM
2.5 for the bengals? boo.

Raiderz4Life
04-30-2007, 11:41 PM
3.5.....not bad

YAYareaRB
04-30-2007, 11:42 PM
3.7 .. Niiiice!

DraftMasterG
04-30-2007, 11:44 PM
these have to be wrong my eagles got kevin kolb the best quarterback in the draft we should have got a 4.0

YAYareaRB
04-30-2007, 11:50 PM
these have to be wrong my eagles got kevin kolb the best quarterback in the draft we should have got a 4.0

This is obviously sarcasm.. no need to get hostile gentlemen.

DraftMasterG
04-30-2007, 11:58 PM
im a colts fan anyway

sweetness34
05-01-2007, 12:01 AM
2.5...No surprise. JA will just prove everyone wrong at the end of the year like he always does. :D

Oh and Dr. Z is an idiot.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-01-2007, 12:02 AM
dont know why two guys gave Oakland a C+.

WMD
05-01-2007, 12:22 AM
How on earth did the Sporting News give the Dolphins an A+? Am I missing something here?

myinnerself
05-01-2007, 12:24 AM
Chargers get a 2.5, but we always get something like that, yet we always end up with one of the best draft classes in the league. Gotta love the EXPERTS.

WMD
05-01-2007, 12:26 AM
and the Lions actually got better grades than I thought.. I'd grade us a B-, just because we picked quite a few Project Players..

Shiver
05-01-2007, 02:05 AM
Atlanta > Carolina according to this. Thus I approve.

duckseason
05-01-2007, 02:25 AM
LMAO about the Browns getting the highest grade. Just shows exactly how low the collective draft-IQ is of the various publications/websites. "They got Joe Thomas AND Brady Quinn? OMG! They had the best draft ever!!!" Yeah. Ok. Way to maintain perspective of the big picture there guys.

Non_Sequitur
05-01-2007, 02:29 AM
LMAO about the Browns getting the highest grade. Just shows exactly how low the collective draft-IQ is of the various publications/websites. "They got Joe Thomas AND Brady Quinn? OMG! They had the best draft ever!!!" Yeah. Ok. Way to maintain perspective of the big picture there guys.

The Browns really put all their eggs in one basket here. Either they will go down as having one of the best drafts ever, or they will continue to suck for the next half decade (probably longer after Romeo gets fired for having a failed team). The entire future of the franchise was just put on the shoulders of Brady Quinn. So go get 'em champ.

Caddy
05-01-2007, 02:44 AM
I think the Browns draft can legitimately be called the be the best draft of any team. They got 3 excellent players. The only downside to the great draft they had is how it will impact on next years draft which will be nowhere near as good.

On another note, 3.2 ain't too bad.

7-11
05-01-2007, 02:55 AM
once again the colts get abused in by the draft 'experts' and once agian i expect the colts to have one of the highest rates of draft picks making the 52 and contributing. honestly these thigns need to be ignored because they are heavily skewed towards teams picking at the top of the draft and those that make the flashy picks while teams that pick players that suite their system get the poorer grades. seriously the late flashy picks are there for a reason, these GM's know what they are doing and more often then not the players that fall heavily usually dont turn out

diabsoule
05-01-2007, 03:01 AM
I agree with the Saints grade. I think we could have and should have done a lot better.

fenikz
05-01-2007, 03:10 AM
just remeber c's get degrees

duckseason
05-01-2007, 03:39 AM
Yeah, I really don't see how, at this point in time- when all top prospects have equal chance of becoming stars; that overpaying greatly for Brady Quinn makes the Browns draft better than any team who got their guys without mortgaging their future. I mean, why in the hell is everybody so much more sure about Brady Quinn's chances of success than anyone else's? The answer is hype, and the fact that Brady Quinn was the story of the day. Well, news flash everybody- The fact that he slid that far is a negative. There were no character concerns. No injuries to be wary of. Teams passed on him because they questioned his actual ability as a NFL QB. And yet he is the biggest coup of the draft? WTF? Why aren't people giving credit to Jerry Jones for pulling off the biggest heist of the weekend?

Of course the Browns draft looks the best to the untrained eye. Most casual fans will look and see that they got 2 big names in the first round. Seems odd though, not to hold them accountable for exactly how they went about obtaining the Quinn pick. They earn a D for now. If Quinn works out, then we can hand out grades at that time. But since there are no results to analyze yet, and we're grading the draft itself here, they get a D. All these first round guys have the potential to be great. And statistically, Quinn and Russell are among the most likely to bust. So again, what exactly is so great about spending a high 1st and a high 2nd for a guy with high bust potential, that others didn't even want? How did so many people get this so backwards in their heads? Yeah. HYPE. Quinn could end up being HOF for all we know. Just like Revis or Willis could. But he's just another prospect at this point. Just like Revis and Willis. Would we be praising the Bucs if they had traded their 1st next year and #35 this year to move up to #21 and take Reggie Nelson? Umm. No. They would be hated by their fans and laughed at by everybody else.

7-11
05-01-2007, 04:34 AM
Yeah, I really don't see how, at this point in time- when all top prospects have equal chance of becoming stars; that overpaying greatly for Brady Quinn makes the Browns draft better than any team who got their guys without mortgaging their future. I mean, why in the hell is everybody so much more sure about Brady Quinn's chances of success than anyone else's? The answer is hype, and the fact that Brady Quinn was the story of the day. Well, news flash everybody- The fact that he slid that far is a negative. There were no character concerns. No injuries to be wary of. Teams passed on him because they questioned his actual ability as a NFL QB. And yet he is the biggest coup of the draft? WTF? Why aren't people giving credit to Jerry Jones for pulling off the biggest heist of the weekend?

Of course the Browns draft looks the best to the untrained eye. Most casual fans will look and see that they got 2 big names in the first round. Seems odd though, not to hold them accountable for exactly how they went about obtaining the Quinn pick. They earn a D for now. If Quinn works out, then we can hand out grades at that time. But since there are no results to analyze yet, and we're grading the draft itself here, they get a D. All these first round guys have the potential to be great. And statistically, Quinn and Russell are among the most likely to bust. So again, what exactly is so great about spending a high 1st and a high 2nd for a guy with high bust potential, that others didn't even want? How did so many people get this so backwards in their heads? Yeah. HYPE. Quinn could end up being HOF for all we know. Just like Revis or Willis could. But he's just another prospect at this point. Just like Revis and Willis. Would we be praising the Bucs if they had traded their 1st next year and #35 this year to move up to #21 and take Reggie Nelson? Umm. No. They would be hated by their fans and laughed at by everybody else.

exactly what i was trying to say, just smarterised

yourfavestoner
05-01-2007, 04:54 AM
I think the Browns draft can legitimately be called the be the best draft of any team. They got 3 excellent players. The only downside to the great draft they had is how it will impact on next years draft which will be nowhere near as good.

On another note, 3.2 ain't too bad.

They do have a first round pick for next year, though. It's Brady Quinn. They're just getting him a year early. Even if the pick turns out to be a top 5 or 10 pick, that's still what Quinn's value would be after a year of experience.

art vandelay
05-01-2007, 05:00 AM
3.2!

Pete Prisco is a prick though....

SeanTaylorRIP
05-01-2007, 05:35 AM
That's dumb Redskins were not worse, sure we should get graded bad for not having our picks, but the picks we did have were all excellent. LaRon Landry in the first, Dallas Sartz in the 5th, HB Blades in the 6th, and Jordan Palmer in the 5th.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 08:36 AM

Yes, let's listen to the d-bag with the Eagles sig that also says "Go Cowboys"...

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 08:39 AM
I really have no idea how any analysts really gave the Eagles over a B- on the face of the draft. They didn't get a lot of top talent, and they didn't draft a real safety to replace Dawkins. They didn't do what the traditionalists wanted them to do. Mind boggling...

Jughead10
05-01-2007, 08:44 AM
I actually like what the Eagles did. More so than the Cowboys. Sure maybe the Cowboys addressed certain positions better, but I don't like the talent of the guys thry got. While you might not like that the Eagles didn't grab a safety, the overall talent of who was picked up by them, I feel is pretty damn good.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 08:47 AM
I feel like they got some decent quality at positions where they had some gaps, but I would have liked to see more immediate impact-type players. Bradley could be that guy, as could Abriamiri. I think the entire situation changed when the Titans took Griffin and guaranteed that there wouldn't be an impact safety available for the team at #26. That being said, I was fine with letting Dallas take Spencer (who the team couldn't draft) in exchange for Kolb, Abiamiri, and a CB/safety 'tweener.

OzTitan
05-01-2007, 08:52 AM
No Rick Gosselin included in the line up? I thought he was considered a top quality draft expert?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/rgosselin/stories/043007dnspogosselingrades.3827e9f.html

And no, I don't bring him up just because he happened to give the Titans an 'A' ;)

Notredameleo
05-01-2007, 08:57 AM
3.0 for the Lions, not bad...

JCutlery
05-01-2007, 09:11 AM
That's dumb Redskins were not worse, sure we should get graded bad for not having our picks, but the picks we did have were all excellent. LaRon Landry in the first, Dallas Sartz in the 5th, HB Blades in the 6th, and Jordan Palmer in the 5th.

Yeah, but they also failed to address the defensive line..

steelernation77
05-01-2007, 09:12 AM
Prisco said the Steelers' most questionable pick was Sepulveda in the 4th because, "He's a punter guys."

This guy clearly doesn't realize how bad Gardocki was last year. There's nothing wrong with drafting a day one starter in the 4th round that will consistently help with field position. People take punt returners much earlier, the Dolphins took one in the top 10...

Jughead10
05-01-2007, 09:12 AM
I feel like they got some decent quality at positions where they had some gaps, but I would have liked to see more immediate impact-type players. Bradley could be that guy, as could Abriamiri. I think the entire situation changed when the Titans took Griffin and guaranteed that there wouldn't be an impact safety available for the team at #26. That being said, I was fine with letting Dallas take Spencer (who the team couldn't draft) in exchange for Kolb, Abiamiri, and a CB/safety 'tweener.

I think Abiamiri is potentially better than Spencer anyway, and am quite shocked everyone is picking Spencer to be DROY.

Jughead10
05-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Yeah, but they also failed to address the defensive line..

Bingo. DL wins more football games than safeties do. Picking a safety in the top 8, 2 out of the last 4 years is quite ridiculous. Its a typical flashy Snyder room. Safeties are flashy because they play in such space.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 09:15 AM
I think Abiamiri could be fantastic for the Eagles if he can be coached properly.

Who is picking Spencer? The Cowboys homers? I actually think Spencer's role will be very small. I don't see his role adding up to enough to overcome a top CB or an effective MLB.

Jughead10
05-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Go to the OROY and DROY thread. Quite a few people are picking him to win DROY. Not just Cowboy fans.

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 09:17 AM
I think Abiamiri is potentially better than Spencer anyway, and am quite shocked everyone is picking Spencer to be DROY.

Abriamiri reminds me of Charles Haley, without the mean streak.

If he can play tougher, this kid could be really good. The physical tools are there, he just needs to harnish them better.

In a pure 4-3 (not 3-4 or Cover 2), Abriamiri is the better prospect of the two.

I think they got their Kearse replacement, which was much needed with his constant injuries.

The only questionable pick to me was Kolb. Theyve won games with Feeley before, Reid has a great system that allows for success with nobodies at qb. They didnt need a round 2 qb, not now.

They were better off getting the best available WR. Or even Eric Weddle, who Ive been huge on, and I think he's underappreciated in this deep Safety class.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 09:17 AM
Bingo. DL wins more football games than safeties do. Picking a safety in the top 8, 2 out of the last 4 years is quite ridiculous. Its a typical flashy Snyder room. Safeties are flashy because they play in such space.

The Redskins lost out because they didn't trade out of the #6 pick before the draft. They needed to move out well in advance of the draft to guarantee themselves more picks and more value in the middle of the first. They should never have been counting on Miami to trade up for Quinn. Now, given their situation, they took the best defensive player on the board and got decent value. I can't knock them for taking Landry, but I can knock them for being in that situation in the first place.

Jughead10
05-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Even being stuck at 6, taking Okoye would have been better in my opinion.

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Even being stuck at 6, taking Okoye would have been better in my opinion.

I agree, you can make a case for Andersen as well.

What they fail to realize is that having top 6 money invested in both safety positions almost guarantees that they won't be able to resign both of them longterm. Unless they take major cap hits in other areas of the team, which is stupid.

Within 4 years, one of the 2 will be gone. Maybe even sooner than that.

Tubby
05-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Seahawks get 1.6, second lowest.

Sounds about right.

crazyisme
05-01-2007, 09:21 AM
lol, i just lost all respect for Sporting News. I usually purchase a magazine of theirs for FF, but will no longer be giving my money to those bozos

Someone the Vikes, who had one of the top 3 drafts in the entire NFL, got a B- while hte Packers, who had one of the worst drafts in the entire NFL, got an A. The Vikes got the worst grade out of the entire NFC North, what a JOKE!

lol, what a bunch of clowns, hopefully ESPN removes them off of their compilation list for next year, obviously those guys are clueless packer fans or something....

Jughead10
05-01-2007, 09:21 AM
I agree, you can make a case for Andersen as well.

What they fail to realize is that having top 6 money invested in both safety positions almost guarantees that they won't be able to resign both of them longterm. Unless they take major cap hits in other areas of the team, which is stupid.

Within 4 years, one of the 2 will be gone. Maybe even sooner than that.

That or they will have both of them on their team and because of it money still won't be put into their front 7 and more importantly front 4.

crazyisme
05-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Prisco said the Steelers' most questionable pick was Sepulveda in the 4th because, "He's a punter guys."

This guy clearly doesn't realize how bad Gardocki was last year. There's nothing wrong with drafting a day one starter in the 4th round that will consistently help with field position. People take punt returners much earlier, the Dolphins took one in the top 10...

prisco is an idiot, i bet you could go to a random elementary school and ask a 3rd grade disable girl a question about football and get a more logical answer

lord knows why prisco still has a job, i hate the fact that such an idiot can get paid to do such a terrible job

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Yes, field position has no bearing at all on a game... Punters can be underrated players. Ask a Giants fan how critical Feagles is to their success.

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Yes, field position has no bearing at all on a game... Punters can be underrated players. Ask a Giants fan how critical Feagles is to their success.

I hope that man plays for us for another 5 years. He can too, he's not a power kicker, he's a directional kicker so I think as long as he stays healthy, he should be good to go for at least 2 more years.

JCutlery
05-01-2007, 09:34 AM
James Cznaewhatever from Fox is a complete moron.

"Bowe disappeared during the Senior Bowl although he was JaMarcus Russell's favorite receiver"

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 09:36 AM
James Cznaewhatever from Fox is complete moron.

"Bowe disappeared during the Senior Bowl although he was JaMarcus Russell's favorite receiver"

My favorite is a quote from Doug Collins

"The Detroit Pistons almost always win when they score more points than the other team"

JCutlery
05-01-2007, 09:38 AM
"almost always"?

LOL

Vikes99ej
05-01-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm pretty sure the guy from SportingNews.com has no idea what he's talkibg about... giving the Packers an A and everyone else in the division poor grades.

Finsfan79
05-01-2007, 10:44 AM
I think the vikings had the best draft, they got 5 potential starters

I think miami pulled 5 players that will be starting for the team next year at one point or another:
Ginn KR/PR/WR
Beck QB (by the end of they year)
Satale C/G
Booker RB/KR/PR - for 3rd down back
Soliati NT - Traylor will get injured at some point
Reagan Mauia FB - Will be starting guy is a monster in size (he ran through a wall!)
And a we got a kicker whom will start

Pretty much every draft need but a safety was answered in the draft. They got multiple starters and upgraded the team speed.

I would of prefered a franchise left tackle but Hudson houck, whom is forgot more about football and the oline specially then all of us on this board know combined, believes he is a franchise left tackle then so be it.

Wouldnt give us an A but wouldnt be against a B for the dolphins if people look past the quinn/beck/ginn part and look to the draft as a whole we did get a lot of needs filled and potential impact guys.

PalmerToCJ
05-01-2007, 10:49 AM
I suppose I agree with the Bengals. I'm guessing they didn't include Ahmad's pick in there which does make the draft look worse.

I personally loved our draft (unlike last year), it was just unfortunate that they had the big run on defenders before our 2nd rounder but I'm pleased with adding Irons.

myinnerself
05-01-2007, 10:55 AM
once again the colts get abused in by the draft 'experts' and once agian i expect the colts to have one of the highest rates of draft picks making the 52 and contributing. honestly these thigns need to be ignored because they are heavily skewed towards teams picking at the top of the draft and those that make the flashy picks while teams that pick players that suite their system get the poorer grades. seriously the late flashy picks are there for a reason, these GM's know what they are doing and more often then not the players that fall heavily usually dont turn out

These are exactly my thoughts about the Chargers drafts every year. It's funny how teams like the Colts and Chargers always get ragged by "experts" because they "reach" for players, but those players end up being extremely good pro's. They need to realize that good GM's draft boards are not the same as Mel Kiper's, and that the good GM's and not Kiper are right. Ridiculous.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 11:24 AM
True. If Mel Kiper was really that good at what he did, he'd be working for an NFL team, not doing broadcast work for ESPN.

PalmerToCJ
05-01-2007, 11:34 AM
True. If Mel Kiper was really that good at what he did, he'd be working for an NFL team, not doing broadcast work for ESPN.

He's makin' a whole lot more cash doing the ESPN gig...

I do agree though, he's no god of scouting that's for sure.

myinnerself
05-01-2007, 11:38 AM

Yep, and the thing that the general public need to realize is that all these draft experts play off each other. No one guy is gonna stray too far from what Kiper says, because what Kiper says people take as general knowledge, and people will think they're ridiculous. GM's simply don't have the same way of valueing picks as Mel Kiper and the rest of the experts, and the GM's that just listen to what Kiper and the experts are saying don't do well. Also, each team's board is vastly different because of their system, their needs, and their style of play, and these generalized value charts are stupid, because each player has a different value to each NFL team, because they each have different needs and systems. The Chargers and Colts draft their type of players, so when they are criticized for "reaching" for Davis and Gonzalez respectively I tend to think that the Chargers and Colts are correct, and not some "expert". I think each of those receivers fit just PERFECTLY into each system and will be really productive, so who cares where they picked them? It's stupid.

myinnerself
05-01-2007, 11:39 AM
He's makin' a whole lot more cash doing the ESPN gig...

I do agree though, he's no god of scouting that's for sure.

I almost guarantee he isn't making more money than an NFL GM.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 11:40 AM
I will say that Mel Kiper is excellent at evaluating and projecting talent in the NFL draft. He is horrendous at finding out information from teams, evaluating their needs, and plugging in the player that best fits those needs at that pick. The fact that he cannot make the leap from talent evaluation to team building is the major reason why he's a media guy and not a football professional.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 11:42 AM
NFL GM's have more legitimate prestige and get paid better money than a part time ESPN draft expert. He might come close to making as much as a GM between his book sales, share of the ESPN Insider revenues, speaking appearances, etc., but the dream for all scouts should be the GM job. If that's not your goal, you shouldn't be in that business.

sweetness34
05-01-2007, 12:06 PM

What is up with your love for Landry on that team? You had both Anderson and Okoye on the board, yet you chose to go with a safety in the mold of Sean Taylor, that makes no sense at all. LaRon is a very talented play but he's not a good fit on that team.

You failed to address your DL and that's going to kill you this season.

eacantdraft
05-01-2007, 12:09 PM
NFL GM's have more legitimate prestige and get paid better money than a part time ESPN draft expert. He might come close to making as much as a GM between his book sales, share of the ESPN Insider revenues, speaking appearances, etc., but the dream for all scouts should be the GM job. If that's not your goal, you shouldn't be in that business.

You can get more by being a TV commentator. Mel Kiper is not a part timer, between EPSN radio and his travels, and scouting trips, he is a full timer.

A TV foof get paid big bucks, gets groupies (has to be NFL draft groupies around), no front office politics, no worring about the salary cap. No dealing with arrested players.
What's not to love about it.

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 12:11 PM
You can get more by being a TV commentator. Mel Kiper is not a part timer, between EPSN radio and his travels, and scouting trips, he is a full timer.

A TV foof get paid big bucks, gets groupies (has to be NFL draft groupies around), no front office politics, no worring about the salary cap. No dealing with arrested players.
What's not to love about it.

NFL draft groupies are probably the ugliest women in the world.......

eacantdraft
05-01-2007, 12:11 PM
How on earth did the Sporting News give the Dolphins an A+? Am I missing something here?

South Beach has the best hookers around. The Sporting News didn't want to get them upset.

eacantdraft
05-01-2007, 12:12 PM
NFL draft groupies are probably the ugliest women in the world.......

No that would be heavy metal groupies. Unless you like your women masculine.

bigbluedefense
05-01-2007, 12:13 PM
No that would be heavy metal groupies. Unless you like your women masculine.

some rock groupies are pretty hot. Theyre skeezers, but you'll find a hot one here and there.

I don't think a hot draft junky woman exists on earth.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-01-2007, 01:44 PM
What is up with your love for Landry on that team? You had both Anderson and Okoye on the board, yet you chose to go with a safety in the mold of Sean Taylor, that makes no sense at all. LaRon is a very talented play but he's not a good fit on that team.

You failed to address your DL and that's going to kill you this season.

First off DT is hardly the need people make it out to be, a DE opposite of Carter would have been nice but Anderson is no slam dunk pick, we took a player who will be a staple on the team for 10+ years, the front office has already said that they are currently working on trades for veteran DE's, and safety was just about as big of a need as DE, Phillip Daniels starting isn't as awful as Vernon Fox starting at safety, who granted is great on special teams and outplayed Archuleta, but he is still a minimum contract guy who has little experience.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Well, if the Skins had just kept Ryan Clark for $2.5mm a year, most of these issues would be moot now. Let's not forget that huge mistake.

myinnerself
05-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Laron Landy and Sean Taylor are both in the box safeties, that is problematic for them.

Jughead10
05-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Well, if the Skins had just kept Ryan Clark for $2.5mm a year, most of these issues would be moot now. Let's not forget that huge mistake.

Or letting Pierce go because of a little bit of money but then giving big contracts to Archuleta amongst others.

MNRunLeft
05-01-2007, 03:14 PM
I wish these rankings took into account what teams gained and lost in next years draft. Dallas picking up Cleveland's 2008 first rounder has to be worth something. I felt that Carolina had one of if not the best draft when you consider that they picked up a 1st round pick in next years draft.

bsaza2358
05-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Did Carolina get an extra #1, or was it New England + Dallas that got the extras?

BlindSite
05-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Tom Wier is such a dumbass.

kastofsna
05-01-2007, 07:33 PM
i love how dolphins get a ton of bad grades simply by passing on Quinn. if we drafted Quinn in the first and 9 fullbacks in the rest of the draft, we'd be getting all kinds of kudos. yawn.

nvot9
05-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Pete Prisco and Charlie Robinson can shove it.