PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Court!

McBain
05-01-2007, 12:23 AM
Yeah i have traffic court tomorrow, i'm arguing a speeding ticket. Anyone actually done this and won?

I was driving in a school zone but i had no idea, just driving the speed limit and then boom i see the flashing lights and slow down.... but it's too late. Suggestions?

snuff
05-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Pray to god that the guy doesn't show up. I am sure god will be willing to change it for you. He is all about changing laws for just one person ever now and then.

McBain
05-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Pray to god that the guy doesn't show up. I am sure god will be willing to change it for you. He is all about changing laws for just one person ever now and then.

that's what my brother said... the first part.

Sportsfan486
05-01-2007, 01:18 AM
If he shows up uh... nothing you can do.

Kind of silly to fight a ticket when you broke the law but heh, go for it.

McBain
05-01-2007, 01:22 AM
If he shows up uh... nothing you can do.

Kind of silly to fight a ticket when you broke the law but heh, go for it.

Have you ever seen the movie Blow?

terribletowel39
05-01-2007, 01:27 AM
thats all it is......a movie, granted it is based of a true story. do you have millions upon millions of dollars?? unless you are facing jail time or got arrested there is no point in fighting a ticket, it can't be more than $500 dollars anyway, could it??

McBain
05-01-2007, 01:31 AM
thats all it is......a movie, granted it is based of a true story. do you have millions upon millions of dollars?? unless you are facing jail time or got arrested there is no point in fighting a ticket, it can't be more than $500 dollars anyway, could it??

No, i'm talking about the part in the movie when he recites the song/poem in open court. The ticket they're trying to stick me with is about 400 dollars... just because it was a school zone. I had no idea until the lights started flashing, my arguement is that there wasn't sufficient notification that i was in a school zone... i was driving peacefully and then as i got really close to the sign the lights flashed on. I started to slow down just didn't slam on the brakes and then the copper pulled me over.

snuff
05-01-2007, 01:34 AM
I am sure saying you didn't notice or their wasn't sufficient warning will work. I mean they have only been doing this for 50 years... I am sure they haven't heard that one.

Make up some funny story or something. Be original.

VoteLynnSwan
05-01-2007, 01:43 AM
No, i'm talking about the part in the movie when he recites the song/poem in open court. The ticket they're trying to stick me with is about 400 dollars... just because it was a school zone. I had no idea until the lights started flashing, my arguement is that there wasn't sufficient notification that i was in a school zone... i was driving peacefully and then as i got really close to the sign the lights flashed on. I started to slow down just didn't slam on the brakes and then the copper pulled me over.

if you're going to do that, you better have pictures of exactly where you were pulled over, and the signs in question... otherwise that'll get you nowhere.

ChewyRaven318
05-01-2007, 01:46 AM
Yeah dude, just go in there, plead guilty w/ explanation, and say that it was one of those things that you couldn't avoid.

Obviously if you're posting this in here it was your first offense? Usually the judge(depends on the guy) will just look at your record, and if it's clean, give you like a $100 fine plus court costs and no or one points on your record.

Realllly pointless to fight something like that unless you have a lawyer. If you did, he could have given you a good defense.

McBain
05-01-2007, 01:59 AM
I am sure saying you didn't notice or their wasn't sufficient warning will work. I mean they have only been doing this for 50 years... I am sure they haven't heard that one.

Make up some funny story or something. Be original.

"Well, in all honesty, I don't feel what I've done is a crime. And I think it's illogical, and irresponsible for you to sentence me to prison. Because, when you think about it, what did I do? I crossed an imaginary line with a bunch of plants. I mean you say I'm an outlaw. You say I'm a thief, but where's the christmas dinner for the people on relief? Huh? You say you're looking for someone who's never weept, but always thrown together flowers constantly whether you were right or wrong. Someone to open each and every door, but it ain't me, babe. No, no, no, it ain't me, babe. It ain't me you're looking for, babe. You follow?"

I'll just replace prison with fine and "crossed an imaginary line with a bunch of plants" with crossed an imaginary line going an average speed.

Seriously though.. think i'll try to plea down like that raven guy said. That seems the most logical.

Just a general question though, has anyone beat the system in traffic court?

terribletowel39
05-01-2007, 02:04 AM
Just a general question though, has anyone beat the system in traffic court?
no, everyone has to pay something. and just to let you know, you fighting it will probably add on more too it in court cost. you will now have to be the fine + court cost. when it comes to traffic tickets, you always just pay and be on your way. deferred adjudication is the answer unless that is an only texas thing. ask for that if you can and that way you have like 90 days to not get pulled over for anything and it won't be put on your record. and that helps save you money when it comes to your insurance.

Vikes99ej
05-01-2007, 10:44 AM
I almost got a speeding ticket once.

drowe
05-01-2007, 10:54 AM
so, let's review. you got caught speeding in a school zone. an area that you're supposed to slow down and pay close attention as to not hit a child. your argument is; you weren't paying close enough attention to notice that you were in a school zone. my advice to you is to you is: don't waste your time. pay the ticket.

McBain
05-01-2007, 11:04 AM
so, let's review. you got caught speeding in a school zone. an area that you're supposed to slow down and pay close attention as to not hit a child. your argument is; you weren't paying close enough attention to notice that you were in a school zone. my advice to you is to you is: don't waste your time. pay the ticket.

No, i was driving in a school zone and i was going the correct normal speed (50) and as i approached it, the lights above the sign started to flash so that means the speed drops to 20 or 25... i forget... either way, i let off the gas and maybe decelerated to like 43 maybe 40 and then got pulled over. My arguement is that the lights flashed right as i hit the sign, thus not giving me adequete time to slow down. I was slowing down and had the lights been flashing earlier i would have slowed to the speed.

j05son
05-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Usually the signs have the time the lights will start blinking.

I live right across the street from my old high school and right under the light, the sign says something along the lines off "In affect from 2-4" with the 20mph speed sign under that.

If you were going to fight it, I would try to argue about the signage. It wasn't up to par as other school zones, list and show examples, etc...

Good luck.

iowatreat54
05-01-2007, 11:44 AM
No, i was driving in a school zone and i was going the correct normal speed (50) and as i approached it, the lights above the sign started to flash so that means the speed drops to 20 or 25... i forget... either way, i let off the gas and maybe decelerated to like 43 maybe 40 and then got pulled over. My arguement is that the lights flashed right as i hit the sign, thus not giving me adequete time to slow down. I was slowing down and had the lights been flashing earlier i would have slowed to the speed.

It doesn't really matter if you had adequate time to slow down...if there was a sign right where you were pulled over then you should have been able to see it atleast 50 feet away if not more...which means you either A. weren't paying attention or B. have really bad eye sight...so I mean if you go to court your best bet is if the cop doesn't show, but most likely since your speeding in a school zone at almost double the posted limit...your pretty much screwed because courts are not going to take that lightly...

P-L
05-01-2007, 11:49 AM
What did he write the ticket for? If It was 25 over then I'd fight it, if it was only like 5 or 10 over you are potentially screwing yourself by going to court.

RoyHall#1
05-01-2007, 12:34 PM
I got a speeding ticket for 85 in a 55. Yes, I know, I'm a bad person. I've only had my liscence for a month and am 16. Will I lose my liscence?

Sportsfan486
05-01-2007, 12:37 PM

I hope you have lots and lots of proof. Pictures, video, etc. Oh, and you "let off the gas and decelerated?" Ever heard of brakes?

50 in a 25 school zone.. whoa dude, you could have gotten your license yanked on the spot for that. Heck, going to court the Judge could get pissy and do it.

Cop will definitely show up for that. You need(ed) to hire a lawyer, who maybe could have gotten it lowered for you.

By yourself you're screwed, if you just go in there and claim the lights didn't flash until you hit them they're going to tag you with the ticket + court costs.

So you just added over a hundred dollars to your tab.

Keep in mind, if you have another incident within a few years your license is going to get pulled. That's a serious offense, can't recall how many points it tabs you but any ticket will waste you.

Sportsfan486
05-01-2007, 12:38 PM
I got a speeding ticket for 85 in a 55. Yes, I know, I'm a bad person. I've only had my liscence for a month and am 16. Will I lose my liscence?

Yes unless you hire a lawyer and he can manage to argue it down.

But at 16 I doubt the judge will go for it, you're probably getting a suspension until you're 18.

85 in a 55... lol.

dabears10
05-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I got in accident and then got caught speeding the next day. This is when I was still 16 and in Illinois you must go to court if you get a speeding ticket. So I go for the accident first and the other driver didn't show because he didn't care, and then the cop didn't show up for the speeding ticket later on. So, I ended up paying only for the increased insurance. It was sweet.

Moses
05-01-2007, 01:27 PM
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/cars/how-to-beat-a-speeding-ticket-or-at-least-better-your-chances-208611.php

Vikes99ej
05-01-2007, 03:18 PM
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/cars/how-to-beat-a-speeding-ticket-or-at-least-better-your-chances-208611.php

If that is real then I should really consider that.

gbpackers0065
05-01-2007, 03:21 PM
if its a clearly marked school zone your screwed unless there was a "emergency situation" you had to get to

jagsfreak27
05-01-2007, 03:26 PM
If its not clearly marked you could have a case. It also helps to have a good driving record

awfullyquiet
05-01-2007, 04:35 PM
i actually recently fought two tickets and one (one was i didn't have my insurance card (although i had insurance, that was an easy one to get out of))
the other one was a no right turn on red.

in every state the burden of proof is on the prosecution.

meaning, if you can cast significant doubt that you were not YET in the school zone when he started pulling you over (or just barely getting in there), and slowing down at the time, bring up where he actually pulled you over. ask him that. and take pictures.
lots of pictures. use them to your advantage.

other thing you can do is ask for an extention to take pictures. the cop's chances of showing up the second time get increasingly slim.

depending on what the settlement that the prosecution will offer you, you might just want to take it, if they offer you $175, i would run with that deal like whoa (assuming the ticket is $400 like you said)...

but, all you have to do is put doubt in the judges mind that what may have happened wasn't actually what really happened. and you're off the hook.

i did a no-right turn on red. and i said there wasn't any signage. i took pictures, i cross-examined the cop, asking, if you're familiar with the area lik you say you are, do you know what that sign says? 'i think it's a no-parking sign') are you sure it's a not a right turn on red sign? 'i'm not sure'. (it actually was, but he didn't know better...) and took a picture across the street, and there was no signs saying no right turn on red... and he couldn't pick out where it was from my obviously advantageous picture that i took... which reminds me. take pictures to your advantage. crop them as necessary.

McBain
05-01-2007, 10:18 PM
i got the ticket dropped to 140, i don't have to pay till july. I just went in and had a nice chat with the prosecuting attourney. For a while i thought it was going to get totally anulled. Anyway, right after as i was leaving two cops stopped me and arrested me for past warrants.... it was lame... so i spent the day in jail. I had a really jolly mug shot.

McBain
05-01-2007, 10:20 PM
i actually recently fought two tickets and one (one was i didn't have my insurance card (although i had insurance, that was an easy one to get out of))
the other one was a no right turn on red.

in every state the burden of proof is on the prosecution.

meaning, if you can cast significant doubt that you were not YET in the school zone when he started pulling you over (or just barely getting in there), and slowing down at the time, bring up where he actually pulled you over. ask him that. and take pictures.
lots of pictures. use them to your advantage.

other thing you can do is ask for an extention to take pictures. the cop's chances of showing up the second time get increasingly slim.

depending on what the settlement that the prosecution will offer you, you might just want to take it, if they offer you $175, i would run with that deal like whoa (assuming the ticket is $400 like you said)...

but, all you have to do is put doubt in the judges mind that what may have happened wasn't actually what really happened. and you're off the hook.

i did a no-right turn on red. and i said there wasn't any signage. i took pictures, i cross-examined the cop, asking, if you're familiar with the area lik you say you are, do you know what that sign says? 'i think it's a no-parking sign') are you sure it's a not a right turn on red sign? 'i'm not sure'. (it actually was, but he didn't know better...) and took a picture across the street, and there was no signs saying no right turn on red... and he couldn't pick out where it was from my obviously advantageous picture that i took... which reminds me. take pictures to your advantage. crop them as necessary.

I wish i would have had time to do this. The prosecuting attorney was a dumbass.... i definetly could have won.

j05son
05-02-2007, 12:05 AM

In Ohio, that's reckless operation...You'll lose your license for sure. The length, I think only 6 months to a year. You could argue for work/school privileges.

Go into court nicely dressed, [I've been to traffic court once, went in shirt and tie and the only other people in shirts and ties were people facing jail time, and youngins]. Nice pair of pants and a nice shirt will do.

Be very apologetic, explain yourself, and DO NOT PLEAD GUILTY. Not Guilty if you believe you have a case; No Contest if you do not. No Contest is saying you're not guilty but don't have enough proof to distinguish otherwise [from what I've been told]. A no contest plea is still a guilty plea, you will be fined, maybe suspension, points, the works...Usually it's a reduced fine, etc...

That's basically the obvious...Read the lifehacker link...good luck.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-02-2007, 12:27 AM
the fact that you were driving above the speed limit in a school zone pretty much destroys your argument.

volman88
05-02-2007, 01:02 AM
I got one for 14 over, but my ticket is only 72 dollars, but would have been 50, but the guy added 22 for a brain cancer surcharge or something.

sweetness34
05-02-2007, 01:22 AM
Speeding in a school zone is a definite no-no. It's like killing a horse in Texas, they pretty much hang you for that.

TH3
05-02-2007, 01:23 AM
4 things could happen
1. cop dosnt show up you get out of it.
2. Is there anything wrong with the ticket/filled out wrong/ wrong info. if so mention this and maybe you will get lucky.
3. the Judge nocks a couple bucks off just so you will pay it
4. the cop shows up and the judge is an ass and you end up paying the full amount

McBain
05-02-2007, 01:25 AM
Speeding in a school zone is a definite no-no. It's like killing a horse in Texas, they pretty much hang you for that.

not for me, i got a plea in obeyance.... wooo

The Unseen
05-02-2007, 05:48 AM
if its a clearly marked school zone your screwed unless there was a "emergency situation" you had to get to

Because your friend wanted to be a banker!

awfullyquiet
05-02-2007, 11:03 AM
i got the ticket dropped to 140, i don't have to pay till july. I just went in and had a nice chat with the prosecuting attourney. For a while i thought it was going to get totally anulled. Anyway, right after as i was leaving two cops stopped me and arrested me for past warrants.... it was lame... so i spent the day in jail. I had a really jolly mug shot.

that's the brakes man.

umphrey
05-02-2007, 11:12 AM
99% of the time if you show up for a ticket you get such benefits as

-more time to pay the ticket
-lower fine
-less tickets
-compromise with more fine for less points and vice versa

I dunno why you guys are telling him he's screwed, I have friends who got speeding tickets changed to parking violations.

awfullyquiet
05-02-2007, 11:18 AM
because he got pulled up on past warrents?

bernbabybern820
05-02-2007, 12:14 PM
4 things could happen
1. cop dosnt show up you get out of it.
2. Is there anything wrong with the ticket/filled out wrong/ wrong info. if so mention this and maybe you will get lucky.
3. the Judge nocks a couple bucks off just so you will pay it
4. the cop shows up and the judge is an ass and you end up paying the full amount

you're better off showing up early and talking to the prosecutor instead of going to the judge since the judge wont let you speak at all. With the Prosecutor you can ask him if you can ask him to knock off the speeding ticket down to unsafe driving which means no points on your insurance.

And yes i have to go to court on the tenth since i went 67 on a 50 which blows. When you go to court, they dont ask you for your insurance do they? because i dont have insurance yet...yes i know thats stupid of me.

Jughead10
05-02-2007, 12:19 PM
99% of the time if you show up for a ticket you get such benefits as

-more time to pay the ticket
-lower fine
-less tickets
-compromise with more fine for less points and vice versa

I dunno why you guys are telling him he's screwed, I have friends who got speeding tickets changed to parking violations.

Yeah showing up and fighting it never hurts. You can get the points taken off the charge or get a lesser fine like you said.

RoyHall#1
05-02-2007, 12:26 PM
In Ohio, that's reckless operation...You'll lose your license for sure. The length, I think only 6 months to a year. You could argue for work/school privileges.

Go into court nicely dressed, [I've been to traffic court once, went in shirt and tie and the only other people in shirts and ties were people facing jail time, and youngins]. Nice pair of pants and a nice shirt will do.

Be very apologetic, explain yourself, and DO NOT PLEAD GUILTY. Not Guilty if you believe you have a case; No Contest if you do not. No Contest is saying you're not guilty but don't have enough proof to distinguish otherwise [from what I've been told]. A no contest plea is still a guilty plea, you will be fined, maybe suspension, points, the works...Usually it's a reduced fine, etc...

That's basically the obvious...Read the lifehacker link...good luck.

I'm actually going to juvenile court but thanks for the advice. Does anyone think I should write a letter to the cop or prosecutor?

Ho0k Em'
05-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Anybody know the law on the distance you can park from a fire hydrant.

McBain
05-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Anybody know the law on the distance you can park from a fire hydrant.

15 feet? The curbs are painted red.....

McBain
05-02-2007, 09:02 PM
that's the brakes man.

Huh? I don't know what you mean.

Ho0k Em'
05-02-2007, 09:11 PM
15 feet? The curbs are painted red.....

http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/1206/ticketcj3.jpg

I got a 45$ ticket for that.

McBain
05-02-2007, 09:41 PM
http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/1206/ticketcj3.jpg

I got a 45$ ticket for that.

That sucks man, in utah they paint the curbs red.