PDA

View Full Version : Caddy's Pre-Training Camp Roster Prediction 01/05/07

Caddy
05-01-2007, 12:29 AM
I know I might be a little premature in doing a roster prediction now, but I was bored at school and needed something interesting to pass the time. Obviously with time these predictions will change, but as of now this is how I would like to see the roster be filled.

QB: Possibly the most intriguing battle in training camp will be Chris Simms vs Jeff Garcia. At the moment Simms is the clear cut starter but over time, Gruden may take to Garcia who could find himself as the starter. If not, he provides an adequate back-up should anything go wrong. At the current stage I think Bruce Gradkowski should be given the 3rd string QB spot. He is young and could be molded into a WCO QB by Gruden. McCown has been unlucky during his stay in Tampa and looks set to leave. Watch out for Jake Plummer. He hasn’t retired and nobody is really sure what he plans to do. Who could forget Bruce ‘The Round Mound of Touchdown” Eugene. The answer is everyone because he will most likely not make it through the first round of cuts.

Simms, Garcia, Gradkowski.

RB: Cadillac Williams is the obvious shoe-in at RB. He had a disappointing sophomore season and with the offensive line help that has been brought in, look for him to reap the benefits. To back-up Caddy will be Michael Pittman for the 3rd time in as many years. He is a more than adequate back-up whose kick returning and receiving skills keep him on the team. The 3rd running back spot will be contested between Kenneth Darby and Earnest Graham. I see Graham as the eventual winner due solely to his contribution on special teams.

Williams, Pittman, Graham.

FB: Mike Alstott and B.J. Askew will most likely be the 2 FB’s making the roster, however I wouldn’t be shocked if we only retained 1. Alstott has at least one more year in him and Askew has the ability to prosper in a WCO where his receiving skills will be valued.

Alstott, Askew.

WR: I see Joey Galloway, Michael Clayton and Maurice Stovall as locks to make the team for one more year. Joey being the clear cut #1, Clayton being given one more year to prove himself and Stovall as the promising young rookie. I see 2, maybe 3 other receivers making the roster and the battle for these positions will be heated. I like Hilliard as the #4 receiver as his sure hands are a reliable target. The 5th position I see as a battle between Paris Warren, David Boston and Chas Gessner. I am really pulling for Gessner, but ultimately Warren will make the roster in the hopes of continuing his development towards a slot receiver. A 6th receiver may make the roster based on special teams ability.

Galloway, Clayton, Stovall, Hilliard, Warren.

TE: With only 5 TE’s on the roster, 3 of them figure to make the squad. Alex Smith is a lock and I just hope Gruden utilizes Smith in a more efficient manner than he did last year. I see Becht making the roster as a 6th offensive lineman type player and decent backup TE. The 3rd spot I see as a battle between T.J. Williams and Jerramy Stevens. Ultimately I think Stevens will beat out Williams but I am really hoping T.J. puts on a show in Training Camp.

Smith, Becht, Stevens.

OT: The introduction of Luke Petitgout was a great move by Tampa and he figures to be an immediate upgrade at LT. Anthony Davis will remain his back-up and his versatility and ability to play guard will be a real asset. At right tackle Trueblood is a lock but his backup is a position which could go to a number of players. Do the coaches go with a guy like Donald Penn or Dennis Roland who were on the active roster last year, or take a chance on Chris Colmer or Chris Denman. Ultimately, I want Colmer to make the roster, however his illness history concerns me and that will probably keep him off the team.

Petitgout, Davis, Trueblood, Denman.

OG: Davin Joseph is a guy whose development is crucial to the performance of the offensive line as a whole. Gruden is really relying on him to step up his game and become a leader and that is exactly what I see happening this year. At left guard I see Arron Sears getting the job, with Dan Buenning’s potential to be developed as a future center. I think Jeb Terry will once again make the roster and backup Joseph on the right and possibly Sears on the left. Anthony Davis’s ability to play LG enables the Bucs to keep only 3 guards, not including Dan Buenning.

Joseph, Sears, Terry.

C: The incumbent John Wade will almost certainly start the season but watch out for Buenning who looks as though he may be making the swap to center. I see both men easily making the roster and Buenning provides a valuable back-up at center and guard.

Wade, Buenning.

DE: Simeon Rice will start the season once again at right end but watch out for Gaines Adams. Adams will not be an immediate starter but he figures to be an impact on passing downs notching up around 6-9 sacks on the season. Greg Spires will probably lock down left end for at least one more season and his run defense is still a valuable commodity on rushing downs. I also see Julian Jenkins making the roster for another year to be developed behind Rice and Spires as a potential starter of the future.

Rice, Spires, Adams, Jenkins.

DT: Possibly the most unsure position on the defense at the current time. Hovan will see another year as NT and does an adequate job at that position. Look for Kevin Carter and Ellis Wyms to battle for UT spot. The loser of the battle will become the back-up DT at both positions. Peterson is raw and needs a year to develop and I would not be surprised if he is inactive for 8-10 games this season. His athletic ability makes him an extremely intriguing guy whose speed is a real asset.

Wyms, Hovan, Carter, Peterson.

OLB: Derrick Brooks has a few more years in him and is as big a shoe-in as they come. I expect Cato June to easily beat out Nece for the ‘SAM’ position with Nece providing an adequate back-up. Backing up Brooks will be the highly athletic Quincy Black who will be given some time to develop in hopes of being the heir to Derrick Brooks.

Brooks, Black, June, Nece.

MLB: Barrett Ruud is finally being given the chance to be a leader in the Cover 2 defense. He may not be your typical cover linebacker, but he certainly has talent. We will see what he is made of this season. Adam Hayward will back him up and is not ready to start in the league.

Ruud, Hayward.

S: The safety position is going to be highly contested in training camp with both Allen and Phillips needing to perform in order not to lose their jobs to rookies Sabby Piscitelli and Tanard Jackson. I really hope Piscitelli and Jackson develop into a great combo but I can’t see either starting from game 1. Talk to be after the bye week and it might be a different situation.

Allen, Phillips, Piscitelli, Jackson.

CB: Ronde Barber figures to be great for at least one more year and Brian Kelly is a great #2 corner in the league. Once again Buchanon will make the roster and figures to be the nickel back and help out in the punt return game. I see two more corners making the roster. One will be Alan Zemaitas whose progression should be coming along nicely. The other I see being Sammy Davis who has the potential, but is yet to have realized it.

Barber, Kelly, Zemaitas, Buchanon, Davis.

Special Teams: There figures to be little competition at punter and kicker with both Bidwell and Bryant easily making the roster. With the releasing of Johnson today, Andrew Economos will most likely be the teams new long snapper. With 2 more roster spots open, I see them being filled by special teamers. 1 spot I believe will be given to LB/DE Patrick Chukwurah who figures to have an impact in punt/kick coverage. The other I feel will be given to either Chad Owens or Torrie Cox, with Cox just winning out due to his return and coverage skills.

Bryant, Bidwell, Economos, Cox, Chukwurah.

Zbikowski_9
05-04-2007, 08:07 AM
The Bucs have potential to be good, next year i think they should realy set their sights on a franchise LT. Until then all the young offensive skill position guys will be held back.

simms2clayton
05-04-2007, 09:20 AM
I disagree, I think we should have our sights on a division crown.

But really for next year I would love to see us get a great WR/KR like DeSean Jackson. Special teams play can take this team to the next level.

If Buenning doesn't work out then we need a center.

We might need a very talented DT or LDE to come in depending on how Carter and Petersen do. I am thinking someone like Glenn Dorsey or Lawrence Jackson would be great.

Lets see how the young OLBers play out before we call it a need. Lets see how Zemaitis does before we call CB is a need.

-black
05-04-2007, 11:50 AM
good post......

hollywitya
05-04-2007, 12:39 PM
I can't wait to see that defensive line in action...lets hope gaines isnt a bust

etk
05-04-2007, 01:24 PM
We will not enter the season with less than 4 Guards on the roster. We won't carry 6 wideouts either but injuries will shuffle the lineups.

Caddy
05-04-2007, 07:05 PM
We will not enter the season with less than 4 Guards on the roster. We won't carry 6 wideouts either but injuries will shuffle the lineups.

We did both to a degree last year so it is a possibility.

WR: Galloway, Clayton, Stovall, Hilliard, Warren, Jones.
OG: Mahan, Terry, Joseph. (Albeit when Buenning was out for the season)

Where did you get the 6 WR thing because I only have 5 listed?

etk
05-04-2007, 07:11 PM

I'm not completely positive but I doubt we had all 6 of those WRs at the same time. Like I said they will shuffle from practice squad and back (Warren mainly). I think Jonathan Clinkscale has a shot to make the team.

Caddy
05-04-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm not completely positive but I doubt we had all 6 of those WRs at the same time. Like I said they will shuffle from practice squad and back (Warren mainly). I think Jonathan Clinkscale has a shot to make the team.

No we had them all on our active roster from the beginning of the season. And I think Lehr will make it as the 4th guard if we carry one.

Zbikowski_9
05-05-2007, 11:19 PM

Where did you get the 6 WR thing because I only have 5 listed?

Larry Brackins maybe, or was he just practice roster, i like him anyway, nice and tall.
Also how long was Boston around for, he is back isn't he

Caddy
05-06-2007, 02:39 AM
Larry Brackins maybe, or was he just practice roster, i like him anyway, nice and tall.
Also how long was Boston around for, he is back isn't he

The answer to both is neither made it past TC. I am pretty sure Brackins is playing in the Arena League now.