PDA

View Full Version : It's time to put down the hammer!

D-Unit
05-01-2007, 05:42 AM
So we should've done this and we should've done that...

This draft will be a failure... Our picks sucked... We have the same weaknesses as last year... We'll continue to get exploited...

I've really grown tired of the complaining around here and I'm ready to shed some light to help wake up the guys living in doom and gloom.

If you guys think that we are the same team as last year and that we haven't gone out and improved our team, then some cheeks need to be slapped. Wake up and smell the roses.

Coaching
Right from the get go, gone is the conservatism of Parcells (in whom we owe a lot of gratitude). He was great for the Cowboys, but we are now gonna amp up the juice and behind Wade Phillips our defense will go from vanilla to wild wild strawberry! On offense, gone will be old school warn out methods and in will come new school concepts of Jason Garrett. Our whole approach will be drastically different and sure to be improved. Out is our square peg DC (Zimmer)... Removed is our OL coach trying to be OC. With this new refocus, will come an adjustment period, but it appears we finally have the right people in the right places.

QB
Tony Romo is the man. Bledsoe is a gonner. We replaced him with an experienced Winner in Brad Johnson. Johnson is old, but he can be counted on in a split second. Matt Moore will make the team. Don't be surprised if down the road we have ourselves caught in a QB Controversy. Moore is for real. Romo is finally no longer wet behind the ears. With his experience last year and his continued development, we'll have something special there. It's safe to say that this position will show improvement from '06.

RB
We have the same personel, but a couple of extra bodies that will raise the level of competition for that 3rd RB spot. TT has his hands full with Jackie Battle and Alonzo Coleman coming to camp. No drastic changes were made to the position itself, but their production should improve with the heavy rebuilding we accomplished along the OL.

FB
We haven't had a real FB here since Moose left town. I'm not going to crown Deon Anderson the answer. Heck, I'm not even going to guarantee him a spot on the 53 man roster. But the fact that we scouted him, brought him in for private workouts, traded up for him and used 2 picks to get him, tells me that we got a player. Here's a guy that holds real promise and in JG's offense, he will be used. He's got a wide, stout muscular build and the intense mentality needed to be a good FB. Lousaka Polite's chance is over. Hoyte is a LB. He's got the mentality and desire, but not the skills or experience. With Anderson in the fold, I think our front office did a nice job of at least trying to improve the position. Only time will tell, but the outlook looks good.

WR
This is the position that we failed to nail down to ease our concerns for beyond 2008. However, I don't think we regressed. Had we not picked up the bonuses for TO and Glenn or if we had lost Crayton in FA, we could say that the position got weaker. However, with TO and Glenn returning to the starting line up and the promise of Crayton, Austin and Hurd, I believe that we have enough talent to win now. My favorite WR amongst the bunch is Miles Austin. I really think that he will have a Tony Romo like story before his career is done. I think he can be one of the top #2 WRs in the league similar to likes of Isaac Bruce, Reggie Wayne, TJ Housmanzadeh, Muhsin Muhammed, etc. Considering the continued development of our young players and TO's healthy return from finger surgery, the position should hold steady. I don't see where we digressed at the position.

TE
Holding Steady. I might be one of the few that still holds Anthony Fasano in high regard, and I think he needs to be given time to let the game speed slow down for him. No upgrades made to this position and I'm glad. I don't think we needed to. Between Witten and Fasano, we should have it covered, unless JG plans to continue the 2 TE Offense. It doesn't seem so at this point.

LT
Flozell's suffered an injury that is common knowledge for players not to return to full health until a couple years removed from surgery. Last year, Flo returned, but this year we should see the a deserved Pro Bowl year. Love the addition of Doug Freak. Between him and McCan'tStandToLookAtHim, I like the future promise at the position. If Free can become more than his predecesor Ryan Diem, then we have truly hit the jackpot with our 4th round pick this year. The position has strengthened. No more Torrin Tucker types.

LG
I'm not Kosier's biggest fan and I think we could've used an upgrade here. Nevertheless, we can't have the biggest, baddest and best at every position. Here's hoping Proctor can develop into a nice player! The position hasn't improved, but it hasn't worsened either. We didn't lose a player.

C
Locking Gurode up before the start of FA was a savvy move by Jerry and the gang. It would've been scary to see what kind of randsome he would've gotten during this year's high spending FA market. Love the way we went about our business in locking him up. The guy FINALLY arrived. It's good to see us developing from within. We lost Al Johnson, but I haven't heard one cry about him leaving. Depth needs to be addressed. I really wish we would've drafted Beekman in the 4th. Free first, then Beekman second. Beekman had the experience at G and C. Bah. Position depth weakened here from 2006. No denying that.

RG
Out with Rivera and In with Leonard Davis. Can I get a "Hell yeah?" HELL YA!!! The way the Guards flew off the shelves in the early start of FA, getting Davis was pivotal. Without his signing our OL condition would've suffered majorly. I consider Davis one of the biggest overall team improvements and our offense should see marked improvement in the passing game and especially the running game. Our RB by committee may have career years in '07. For Julius' sake, he better.

RT
Bringing back Columbo was a MUST in order to maintain what we enjoyed last year... which was a quiet, yet nearly Pro Bowl performance. Here's another case where I thought our Front Office played their cards to perfection. Holding out on Marco for the contract he got has to be considered a steal. While he can leave some desired in the run game, he faced a lot of DE's known for attacking the passer and he helped keep Romo on his feet. The selection of James Marten in the early 3rd round was terrific value considering he was widely graded as the top RT prospect in the draft and don't count out the possibility that he might be the heir apparent at LT too. Glad to know we got a player of his caliber backing up the Tackle spot. Very happy to not have Fat Fabini taking up a roster spot.

K
Heck, we gave it a shot with Vanderjerk and Suisham and they didn't pan out. Every time they ran on the field it was nail biting time. Gramatica helped to stabilize the position, but everyone knows he's a stop gap. I have really high hopes for Nick Folk. I think he can be our Josh Brown. He has a powerful leg, showed the best consistency at the Combine and can do Kickoffs and EVEN Punt! Mr. Do it all Folk could turn out to be one of the best picks of Round 6 when all is said and done. Could have a Jason Elam type career.

Bottomline on Offense
At the ending of '06 our most serious needs glared upon our offensive line, and '07 wasn't looking to promising considering Gurode and Columbo's contracts were over with. Marco Rivera was such a bust it wasn't funny. At the beginning of FA we had Flozell, Kosier and literally NOTHING. We had no quality depth and no starters at C, RG and RT. Luckily for us, our other offensive positions were not in dire need of replacement. This offseason has been great. I was very happy to see Jerry smarten up and focus on rebuilding the OL. Our critical needs were addressed and I feel we did a good job in attacking it with the additions and resignings of Gurode, Davis, Columbo, Free and Marten. I love the option that Marten and Free give us at Guard too. The other other real big concern was in our kicking game which cost us having a bye in the playoffs. We had some real freak accidents in the kicking game last season and they way we addressed it, I feel really good about our improvements in both kicking AND holding.

Remaining improvements: Future #1 WR, C depth, possibly RB upgrade. Not bad, not bad at all.

With Wade at the helm, I am so excited about finally being able to push the envelope on D. Getting aggressive will be healthy for the player's mentality and it should change our defense into a more playmaking one. Creating turnovers has been a problem for our defense during Parcells tenure. I think Wade's aggressive attacking style will help to create more big plays.

DE
I think we have quality youth at the position which we have addressed via the draft in recent year's past, however, I think the loss of Kenyon Coleman could have a minor affect. I wish we would've done more in FA to add a big veteran body. I really like Jay Ratliff's ability to get to the QB. More playing time for him could be a good thing.

NT
Big Ferg. Not my favorite player on the team and depth is an issue. I think we dropped the ball at this position. Time will tell. Here's lookin' out for June Cuts!!!

WOLB
Ware and Burnett are a fantastic duo. It will be interesting to see if Wade moves either of them around.

WILB
Very pleased with Ayodele in his first season with the Boys last year. Here's hoping for more production and continued chemistry building. Hoyte should stick to LB... No more getting cute at FB. Will be interesting to see the UDFAs brought in again this year.

SILB
It's time for Carpenter to start emerging as the star he is destined to become. Move over Bradie. Teach the kid the ropes and let'r rip! IMO, Carp is best suited for this role. The "Thumper". The toughest of all LB positions as he'll take a lot of pounding from blockers, but he gets to attack the QB from this position and if called on to cover, Bobby can get that done too. With him here, consider the position upgraded.

SOLB
Anthony Spencer and Greg Ellis. Are you kidding me? This is now potentially the the top LB Corps in the league. If our young guys fulfill their potential, we will start dominating opponents and demoralizing them. Definite improvement.

CB
A lot of contention about how we addressed the position this year. I can't say that I don't like what we did. Depth is a concern, but the longer Jacques Reeves sticks around, the more comfortable I get with him being our back up. Aaron Glenn still has gas in the tank and there is promise in our late pick up of Courtney Brown. If Alan Ball makes it on the 53 man roster, I'll be surprised. If we addressed CB any earlier in the draft, it would've come at the cost of fixing needs elsewhere. Henry and Newman are still in prime years, but more talent should be added in the near future.

FS
I honestly think the addition of Hamlin will be a fine fit. I'm glad our staff signed him prior to the draft. It's a real mystery why we got him so cheap, when we know for a fact that he was heavily pursued by other teams. His veteranship is the perfect compliment to the young guy we have in Watkins. We have enough talent here to win. Hamlin is a considerable upgrade over Keith Davis, Lynn Scott, Tony Dixon and the rest of the tryouts we've had over the years.

SS
Roy. You love him. You hate him. He might be our best playmaker on the field, so get used to him is all I have to say. Liked what I saw of Abram Elam in his limited action.

Bottomline on Defense
Our pass rush has been overly disappointing over the years. I think finally we have the weapons to make a big improvement this season. Our secondary should see a marked improvement with Hamlin's addition. We have a lot of young talent so a big job will fall on Wade's shoulders to cultivate that talent. Our defense will be scary good for a while. My main concern is at NT. Hopefully my fears are not as bad as I make them and Ferg will do his job and won't get hurt. If he doesn't perform right or gets injured, we could be in for a major set back.

We really have done a heck of a job this offseason and I tip my hat to Jerry for the job he's done. Let's try to cheer for our team guys, instead of acting like you could've done a better job. Enjoy the fun of it all.

Modano
05-01-2007, 08:05 AM
I love you! :D

leroyisgod
05-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Leave it to D-Unit to put together one f the most intelligent posts we've seen on this board in some time. This was very well thought out and put into words nicely.

robert_in_bigd
05-01-2007, 09:01 AM
It is a wonderful advocacy piece. Every team in the NFL thinks they just got better during the off season. Now, back to reality.

We are a playoff team who could have gone to the NFC Championship game in a weak NFC. We have likely improved our D, particularly the rush. We have a future QB with 1 more year of experience. We are a few injuries away from serious problems (WR and NT). We have some interesting young talent which should emerge over the coming years.

Our goal should be 11-5. Strong November and December play. Better Division Record. Consistent play from the D. NFC Champiponship game.

I am fine with that. Not doom and gloom silliness but not smoking PCP while admiring my Triplets poster hanging from my roof.

FinChase
05-01-2007, 09:19 AM
It is a wonderful advocacy piece. Every team in the NFL thinks they just got better during the off season. Now, back to reality.

We are a playoff team who could have gone to the NFC Championship game in a weak NFC. We have likely improved our D, particularly the rush. We have a future QB with 1 more year of experience. We are a few injuries away from serious problems (WR and NT). We have some interesting young talent which should emerge over the coming years.

Our goal should be 11-5. Strong November and December play. Better Division Record. Consistent play from the D. NFC Champiponship game.

I am fine with that. Not doom and gloom silliness but not smoking PCP while admiring my Triplets poster hanging from my roof.

Every team is a few key injuries away from disaster. That's just the way it is in the salary cap era.

robert_in_bigd
05-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Every team is a few key injuries away from disaster. That's just the way it is in the salary cap era.

Let me re-phrase .... we are few key injuries in two spots (WR and NT) away from having a bad season.

Why mention this? Because we have no real back-ups and those starters are very old.

In the specific WR and NT sense in combo with age, we are "not like everyone else."

Point taken on the generalization.

D-Unit
05-01-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm not so worried about WR. Critics are quick to point out the ages of TO and Glenn, but until they actually start showing it on the field, no one should be crying, "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" It's not like they are pulling a Jerry Rice act, riding their reputations to the grave. Between Crayton, Austin and Hurd we need to find ways to get them playing time or we will never find out what they can do. If TO or Glenn, God forbid, go down with injury, that may not be so bad for the careers of our young guys. If they show up big, that would be huge in so many ways.

Now NT is a position that scares me. Not shying away from that. I dunno what will happen, but hopefully we don't get screwed.

Ward
05-01-2007, 01:06 PM

Have you been watching me??

Macarthur
05-01-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm really concerned about NT, also.

I would love to take a run at Jenkins from Carolina. could we get him for a 5th rounder?

LSUALUM99
05-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Let me clarify my position on the team.

I think we have the overall talent to be the top team in the NFL. I think we could very well have been in the NFC championship game last year. I also think we've improved in most areas.

I am one of the few that thinks JJ and MBIII are an excellent combo and we didn't or don't need to draft another RB. I think that our WR/WR/TE combo is by far the best in the league. I think our OLine can and should be a top 10 OL in the league.

I think our Defense could very well be a top 5 unit.

I'm very excited about this year. I fully expect the team to be competitive in every single game and should win the division.

My only concern is that we have ONE major glaring hole that I'm not certain adding Hamlin cures. I think we're risking putting alot of eggs in that one basket and that makes me very uneasy.

To me, that's why I've said we have to evaluate this draft at the end of the season based on the pass defense. If we fixed it, through pressure, scheme, or personell currently on the team then great. If we have not, then I'll consider this draft a failure.

robert_in_bigd
05-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Have you been watching me??

not yet but soon

D-Unit
05-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Let me clarify my position on the team.

I think we have the overall talent to be the top team in the NFL. I think we could very well have been in the NFC championship game last year. I also think we've improved in most areas.

I am one of the few that thinks JJ and MBIII are an excellent combo and we didn't or don't need to draft another RB. I think that our WR/WR/TE combo is by far the best in the league. I think our OLine can and should be a top 10 OL in the league.

I think our Defense could very well be a top 5 unit.

I'm very excited about this year. I fully expect the team to be competitive in every single game and should win the division.

My only concern is that we have ONE major glaring hole that I'm not certain adding Hamlin cures. I think we're risking putting alot of eggs in that one basket and that makes me very uneasy.

To me, that's why I've said we have to evaluate this draft at the end of the season based on the pass defense. If we fixed it, through pressure, scheme, or personell currently on the team then great. If we have not, then I'll consider this draft a failure.
If we get 4 players from this draft that end up being long term staples of the team, then you have to consider this draft a success. If we get 3 players from this draft that become long term solutions then we're about average. If we only end up with 2 or less that make it, then I'll call it a failure.

I have to disagree with your analysis of our team's weakness'. Saying that we had ONE major hole and that's all we needed to address heading into the offseason is not something I will agree with. We had many major holes... FS being one of them. Our Offensive Line unit was a complete mess. We had Adams, Kosier, Proctor and McQuistan and that's it. 2 starters. Now guys are talking about expecting a Top 10 Unit in the League? That's a major MAJOR improvement. Our pass rush was basically non-existent after Ellis went down and very underwhelming when he was in. Now there is a lot of hope with the hiring of Phillips and the addition of Spencer. Now to the secondary, the biggest splash was the signing of Hamlin. Is he the answer? We don't know. He was a very active player in the Seattle secondary and has been a playmaker as long as I've seen him, so there is hope there. Did we put all of our eggs in one basket? Hardly. His one year contract puts us in the driver's seat. If he doesn't produce, it's not damaging. I really like his addition because it allows Watkins to ease into the role and learn under a vet. Had we drafted Weddle, we would've been to wet behind the ears at FS and would probably have major growing pains to deal with. Hamlin provides stability. I liked the signing enough to put away my love for Reggie Nelson. That alone should say a lot. HAHA!

pocketaces
05-01-2007, 03:17 PM
So we should've done this and we should've done that...

This draft will be a failure... Our picks sucked... We have the same weaknesses as last year... We'll continue to get exploited...

I've really grown tired of the complaining around here and I'm ready to shed some light to help wake up the guys living in doom and gloom.

If you guys think that we are the same team as last year and that we haven't gone out and improved our team, then some cheeks need to be slapped. Wake up and smell the roses.

Coaching
Right from the get go, gone is the conservatism of Parcells (in whom we owe a lot of gratitude). He was great for the Cowboys, but we are now gonna amp up the juice and behind Wade Phillips our defense will go from vanilla to wild wild strawberry! On offense, gone will be old school warn out methods and in will come new school concepts of Jason Garrett. Our whole approach will be drastically different and sure to be improved. Out is our square peg DC (Zimmer)... Removed is our OL coach trying to be OC. With this new refocus, will come an adjustment period, but it appears we finally have the right people in the right places.

QB
Tony Romo is the man. Bledsoe is a gonner. We replaced him with an experienced Winner in Brad Johnson. Johnson is old, but he can be counted on in a split second. Matt Moore will make the team. Don't be surprised if down the road we have ourselves caught in a QB Controversy. Moore is for real. Romo is finally no longer wet behind the ears. With his experience last year and his continued development, we'll have something special there. It's safe to say that this position will show improvement from '06.

RB
We have the same personel, but a couple of extra bodies that will raise the level of competition for that 3rd RB spot. TT has his hands full with Jackie Battle and Alonzo Coleman coming to camp. No drastic changes were made to the position itself, but their production should improve with the heavy rebuilding we accomplished along the OL.

FB
We haven't had a real FB here since Moose left town. I'm not going to crown Deon Anderson the answer. Heck, I'm not even going to guarantee him a spot on the 53 man roster. But the fact that we scouted him, brought him in for private workouts, traded up for him and used 2 picks to get him, tells me that we got a player. Here's a guy that holds real promise and in JG's offense, he will be used. He's got a wide, stout muscular build and the intense mentality needed to be a good FB. Lousaka Polite's chance is over. Hoyte is a LB. He's got the mentality and desire, but not the skills or experience. With Anderson in the fold, I think our front office did a nice job of at least trying to improve the position. Only time will tell, but the outlook looks good.

WR
This is the position that we failed to nail down to ease our concerns for beyond 2008. However, I don't think we regressed. Had we not picked up the bonuses for TO and Glenn or if we had lost Crayton in FA, we could say that the position got weaker. However, with TO and Glenn returning to the starting line up and the promise of Crayton, Austin and Hurd, I believe that we have enough talent to win now. My favorite WR amongst the bunch is Miles Austin. I really think that he will have a Tony Romo like story before his career is done. I think he can be one of the top #2 WRs in the league similar to likes of Isaac Bruce, Reggie Wayne, TJ Housmanzadeh, Muhsin Muhammed, etc. Considering the continued development of our young players and TO's healthy return from finger surgery, the position should hold steady. I don't see where we digressed at the position.

TE
Holding Steady. I might be one of the few that still holds Anthony Fasano in high regard, and I think he needs to be given time to let the game speed slow down for him. No upgrades made to this position and I'm glad. I don't think we needed to. Between Witten and Fasano, we should have it covered, unless JG plans to continue the 2 TE Offense. It doesn't seem so at this point.

LT
Flozell's suffered an injury that is common knowledge for players not to return to full health until a couple years removed from surgery. Last year, Flo returned, but this year we should see the a deserved Pro Bowl year. Love the addition of Doug Freak. Between him and McCan'tStandToLookAtHim, I like the future promise at the position. If Free can become more than his predecesor Ryan Diem, then we have truly hit the jackpot with our 4th round pick this year. The position has strengthened. No more Torrin Tucker types.

LG
I'm not Kosier's biggest fan and I think we could've used an upgrade here. Nevertheless, we can't have the biggest, baddest and best at every position. Here's hoping Proctor can develop into a nice player! The position hasn't improved, but it hasn't worsened either. We didn't lose a player.

C
Locking Gurode up before the start of FA was a savvy move by Jerry and the gang. It would've been scary to see what kind of randsome he would've gotten during this year's high spending FA market. Love the way we went about our business in locking him up. The guy FINALLY arrived. It's good to see us developing from within. We lost Al Johnson, but I haven't heard one cry about him leaving. Depth needs to be addressed. I really wish we would've drafted Beekman in the 4th. Free first, then Beekman second. Beekman had the experience at G and C. Bah. Position depth weakened here from 2006. No denying that.

RG
Out with Rivera and In with Leonard Davis. Can I get a "Hell yeah?" HELL YA!!! The way the Guards flew off the shelves in the early start of FA, getting Davis was pivotal. Without his signing our OL condition would've suffered majorly. I consider Davis one of the biggest overall team improvements and our offense should see marked improvement in the passing game and especially the running game. Our RB by committee may have career years in '07. For Julius' sake, he better.

RT
Bringing back Columbo was a MUST in order to maintain what we enjoyed last year... which was a quiet, yet nearly Pro Bowl performance. Here's another case where I thought our Front Office played their cards to perfection. Holding out on Marco for the contract he got has to be considered a steal. While he can leave some desired in the run game, he faced a lot of DE's known for attacking the passer and he helped keep Romo on his feet. The selection of James Marten in the early 3rd round was terrific value considering he was widely graded as the top RT prospect in the draft and don't count out the possibility that he might be the heir apparent at LT too. Glad to know we got a player of his caliber backing up the Tackle spot. Very happy to not have Fat Fabini taking up a roster spot.

K
Heck, we gave it a shot with Vanderjerk and Suisham and they didn't pan out. Every time they ran on the field it was nail biting time. Gramatica helped to stabilize the position, but everyone knows he's a stop gap. I have really high hopes for Nick Folk. I think he can be our Josh Brown. He has a powerful leg, showed the best consistency at the Combine and can do Kickoffs and EVEN Punt! Mr. Do it all Folk could turn out to be one of the best picks of Round 6 when all is said and done. Could have a Jason Elam type career.

Bottomline on Offense
At the ending of '06 our most serious needs glared upon our offensive line, and '07 wasn't looking to promising considering Gurode and Columbo's contracts were over with. Marco Rivera was such a bust it wasn't funny. At the beginning of FA we had Flozell, Kosier and literally NOTHING. We had no quality depth and no starters at C, RG and RT. Luckily for us, our other offensive positions were not in dire need of replacement. This offseason has been great. I was very happy to see Jerry smarten up and focus on rebuilding the OL. Our critical needs were addressed and I feel we did a good job in attacking it with the additions and resignings of Gurode, Davis, Columbo, Free and Marten. I love the option that Marten and Free give us at Guard too. The other other real big concern was in our kicking game which cost us having a bye in the playoffs. We had some real freak accidents in the kicking game last season and they way we addressed it, I feel really good about our improvements in both kicking AND holding.

Remaining improvements: Future #1 WR, C depth, possibly RB upgrade. Not bad, not bad at all.

With Wade at the helm, I am so excited about finally being able to push the envelope on D. Getting aggressive will be healthy for the player's mentality and it should change our defense into a more playmaking one. Creating turnovers has been a problem for our defense during Parcells tenure. I think Wade's aggressive attacking style will help to create more big plays.

DE
I think we have quality youth at the position which we have addressed via the draft in recent year's past, however, I think the loss of Kenyon Coleman could have a minor affect. I wish we would've done more in FA to add a big veteran body. I really like Jay Ratliff's ability to get to the QB. More playing time for him could be a good thing.

NT
Big Ferg. Not my favorite player on the team and depth is an issue. I think we dropped the ball at this position. Time will tell. Here's lookin' out for June Cuts!!!

WOLB
Ware and Burnett are a fantastic duo. It will be interesting to see if Wade moves either of them around.

WILB
Very pleased with Ayodele in his first season with the Boys last year. Here's hoping for more production and continued chemistry building. Hoyte should stick to LB... No more getting cute at FB. Will be interesting to see the UDFAs brought in again this year.

SILB
It's time for Carpenter to start emerging as the star he is destined to become. Move over Bradie. Teach the kid the ropes and let'r rip! IMO, Carp is best suited for this role. The "Thumper". The toughest of all LB positions as he'll take a lot of pounding from blockers, but he gets to attack the QB from this position and if called on to cover, Bobby can get that done too. With him here, consider the position upgraded.

SOLB
Anthony Spencer and Greg Ellis. Are you kidding me? This is now potentially the the top LB Corps in the league. If our young guys fulfill their potential, we will start dominating opponents and demoralizing them. Definite improvement.

CB
A lot of contention about how we addressed the position this year. I can't say that I don't like what we did. Depth is a concern, but the longer Jacques Reeves sticks around, the more comfortable I get with him being our back up. Aaron Glenn still has gas in the tank and there is promise in our late pick up of Courtney Brown. If Alan Ball makes it on the 53 man roster, I'll be surprised. If we addressed CB any earlier in the draft, it would've come at the cost of fixing needs elsewhere. Henry and Newman are still in prime years, but more talent should be added in the near future.

FS
I honestly think the addition of Hamlin will be a fine fit. I'm glad our staff signed him prior to the draft. It's a real mystery why we got him so cheap, when we know for a fact that he was heavily pursued by other teams. His veteranship is the perfect compliment to the young guy we have in Watkins. We have enough talent here to win. Hamlin is a considerable upgrade over Keith Davis, Lynn Scott, Tony Dixon and the rest of the tryouts we've had over the years.

SS
Roy. You love him. You hate him. He might be our best playmaker on the field, so get used to him is all I have to say. Liked what I saw of Abram Elam in his limited action.

Bottomline on Defense
Our pass rush has been overly disappointing over the years. I think finally we have the weapons to make a big improvement this season. Our secondary should see a marked improvement with Hamlin's addition. We have a lot of young talent so a big job will fall on Wade's shoulders to cultivate that talent. Our defense will be scary good for a while. My main concern is at NT. Hopefully my fears are not as bad as I make them and Ferg will do his job and won't get hurt. If he doesn't perform right or gets injured, we could be in for a major set back.

We really have done a heck of a job this offseason and I tip my hat to Jerry for the job he's done. Let's try to cheer for our team guys, instead of acting like you could've done a better job. Enjoy the fun of it all.

Very well put. Couldnt have said it better. For all the doom and gloomers don't jump off just yet because I think we will see some big things this year. Again very nice post D-unit We are well on our way to where we want to be.

Texico From Mexico
05-01-2007, 03:44 PM
D - Unit,
a very nice post. Although you are wrong on just aboout every aspect of what you said with regards to Romo. You must not know a Franchise QB when you see one. Tell me somthing have you ever seen a spare at QB in your life? Have you ever watched the body language of a franchise QB? You tell me what you see in Romo that points towards him being the next great QB here in Dallas. Is it his release? No he is a sidearm thrower who is throwing off his back foot most of the time. Can he play in the pocket? No he was exploited at the end of the year by every single team. Keep him in the pocket or the throwing lanes and he falls apart. Is it his arm strength? I think not. This guy will not be able to carry a team, especially one with mediocre runners at best. Now maybe if you threw a LT in the backfiled to take the pressure off sure he might get you by. Is it because he made the pro bowl? He made the pro bowl because so many other QB's were injured. Do I think he is Steve Pelluer or Gary Hogeboom? No but he IS NOT in a class with the Aikman's or Staubach's of the world. And the sad fact is he does not come close to having the tools of a Brady Quinn. I love the pick we made....had Brady not fallen to us. We needed that other outside rusher for sure. But prospects like Quinn do not fall out of the sky and they never get to pick 22. This will be a day long rememberd as the day Dallas passed on the next great QB......and let it pass by.

Achilles33
05-01-2007, 03:59 PM
LSU, you couldn't be more right. We have the potential to be the best team in the NFL, and with Wade and Jason Garrett now at the helm, I expect our team to be unleashed. I expect to flat out dominate. I live in CT, and most of my friends are Giants fans. I can't wait until week 1, when I expect us to beat the Giants by atleast 28. I really think we will dominate. I laugh in pity at the poor souls on NFL Live who think the Eagles will win the NFC East again. Oh boy will they we in for a suprise. 14-2 is my expectation.

pocketaces
05-01-2007, 04:19 PM
D - Unit,
a very nice post. Although you are wrong on just aboout every aspect of what you said with regards to Romo. You must not know a Franchise QB when you see one. Tell me somthing have you ever seen a spare at QB in your life? Have you ever watched the body language of a franchise QB? You tell me what you see in Romo that points towards him being the next great QB here in Dallas. Is it his release? No he is a sidearm thrower who is throwing off his back foot most of the time. Can he play in the pocket? No he was exploited at the end of the year by every single team. Keep him in the pocket or the throwing lanes and he falls apart. Is it his arm strength? I think not. This guy will not be able to carry a team, especially one with mediocre runners at best. Now maybe if you threw a LT in the backfiled to take the pressure off sure he might get you by. Is it because he made the pro bowl? He made the pro bowl because so many other QB's were injured. Do I think he is Steve Pelluer or Gary Hogeboom? No but he IS NOT in a class with the Aikman's or Staubach's of the world. And the sad fact is he does not come close to having the tools of a Brady Quinn. I love the pick we made....had Brady not fallen to us. We needed that other outside rusher for sure. But prospects like Quinn do not fall out of the sky and they never get to pick 22. This will be a day long rememberd as the day Dallas passed on the next great QB......and let it pass by.

For somebody who supposedly knows Elite Q.B.'s to call Brady Quinn the "next great Q.B." shows you don't know chit...LMAO... Quinn is not great. He's no better than your last 1st round sensation. Who was that....Oh yeah Lendall- take me to the buffet -White. Tenn. had to draft another R.B this year in the 2nd round because your soon to be "all pro" just isn't cutting it. Forgive me if I take your talent evaluations with a grain of salt.

D-Unit
05-01-2007, 05:16 PM
D - Unit,
Sorry Tex. I appreciate the comment, but the core foundation of your logic on needing a "franchise QB" and it's relevance and importance in the game of football is flawed. Your idea that we need an Aikman or Staubach in order to win is mistaken. Your desire for that perfect prototypical cookie cut QB is unwarranted. ...and your suggestion that Brady Quinn is Mr. Perfect is also a stretch. Yes, he has the look. Yes, he has the body. Yes, he has the brain. But his mechanics and accuracy were brutally criticized during the draft evaluation process and rightfully so. He may very well have a good NFL career, but for you to induct him into the HOF right now is down right ludicrous. For all the things going for Quinn, he lacks that X factor. That moxie that some guys have and some guys don't. Tony Romo has IT.

I don't know what leads you to believe that a so called "franchise QB" is needed to win. I don't know what forces you to grasp to the idea that you can't win with a QB that doesn't have text book mechanics. Is it solely based off Aikman and Staubach? Are any of these guys "frachise QBs"? Dan Marino, Warren Moon, Jiim Kelly, Jim Everett and on and on... McNabb, Culpepper, Hasselbeck, McNair, Brees, Palmer, Bulger... Did they ever win a SB? On the other hand what about Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson... or rookie Ben Roethlisberger? Heck, even Rex Grossman brought his team to the SB. Not very polished QBs... but their Defenses were bad ass... Baltimore, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Chicago... Tom Brady wouldn't have won without the Patriots D... and Everyone and their dog knew Peyton wouldnt win unless their Defense stepped up and in the end they did.

Having a franchise QB can help win games, but it is not the prerequisite to winning. On the other hand, building a rock solid defense is a proven method. A dominating defense can hide a lot of flaws. We're getting there.

Achilles33
05-01-2007, 07:15 PM
OMG I forgot about that Tex, how is LenDale White doing? Psshhht, Tex, you need to stop hating, this team is in the playoffs easy. You just have a giant boner for Jimmy Johnson. And you will get your franchise RB with Darren McFadden next year, so calm down.

And like D-Unit said, Tony Romo has IT. He has the moxy. YOu have to have it as a QB. It is what made Tom Brady, and it is what will make Tony.

DMWSackMachine
05-01-2007, 07:19 PM
I've been awaiting this moment for a long time.....

Ever since the season ended, not knowing how the draft process would shake out has really given me pause in evaluating and feeling out where this team was/is headed. As some have noticed, I haven't been around a lot since the end of the year, and that is why. This draft was extremely....bland, for lack of a better word. The combination of our team being pretty well stocked at every position, along with there being no real good fit for us where we were in the 1st, was too much for me to allow myself to get worked up about it.

Now, I know where we're at, where we're headed, and I can start turning it over in my mind. It's a great feeling, really, after all this time of just wondering and guessing.

I have a feeling that this draft will be a lot like the 04 draft was, where we will look back in 3 years and wonder what the hell we did with all of our picks. I highly doubt that Marten and Free will develop into starter-quality linemen, and our tabbing of Stanback that early in the 4th was the dumbest move, imo, that we have pulled since I've been following the draft (and that includes Jacob Rogers). And why on earth we would have gone for some noboby at kicker, when the consensus #1 PK in the draft is staring us right in the face, is beyond me.

However, as long as Spencer pans out the way that I expect--and I think he is one of the safest prospects in the draft--I won't be too disappointed, simply because next year will be an absolute thrill to follow, with a probable top 10 pick in addition to our own, and that will make it all worth it.

We are prepared for the future, and the best thing you can say about this team is that we have options. At every single position, we have options--well, except NT. That is a great thing to be able to say. You have to realize how lucky we were last season in regard to our injury situation. We only lost one starter for any significant amount of time all season long. Since when does that happen? We could easily withstand a season-ending injury at SS, FS, CB, ILB, OLB, DE, T, G, TE, WR, and RB. The only positions that would likely cripple us are NT, C and QB, and even then we have decent backup plans at QB with Brad Johnson, and center with Proctor. How many teams can say that?

When you are in a position where you can manage injuries, you usually will have an opportunity to be a factor deep into the playoffs. I will never know wtf happened to us in the last month of the season last year. No one ever will, and if they claim to, they are lying. But this season we should be able to make some serious noise. Our FA acquisitions, along with the development of some of our young players and maybe the addition of a few draft picks, are the things that put us in that position. For that reason alone, you have to give us at least an A-. When you factor in that we also got the #1 pick from one of the perennial cellar-dwellers of the league, that pushes it to a solid A-A+

D-Unit
05-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Eh! Good to see ya man.

Comparing this to the 2004 draft, eh? That's brutal... but it very well may be closer to the truth than we think.

In my opinion, the guys I think will make it in the end are (in order):
Anthony Spencer
Nick Folk
Doug Free
Deon Anderson

I'm very unsure about Marten, Stanback, Brown and Ball.

Also, another truth is that Mason Crosby's acurracy scared the hell out of me. As big as his leg (and reputation) is/was, I'd much rather gave a guy that will make a high percentage of his kicks. Crosby's stock was taking a fall because some were concerned if he wasn't a beneficiary of the thin Colorado air. At the combine, senior bowl and even at the ESPN challenge, Crosby sucked it up. Gossellin didn't have him ranked as the 5th best kicker for nothing.

Folk flew under the radar, but he opened some eyes at the combine and I feel good about drafting a kicker that can perform under pressure like that. BTW, he did kick a 62 yarder before. ;) I'm willing to give him a good chance. Especially since he can do kick offs AND punts!

DMWSackMachine
05-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Like I said, I can see Spencer being the JJ of the 04 draft, and then.....just a complete desolate landscape until you get to the late round gem that was Crayton.

Still, not all THAT bad, really. It hurts to not get contributions from your 2nd and 3rd rounders, but it's not completely out of the norm. I have a feeling that one of our 7th round corners will make the team and compete for the nickel spot. I don't know why, but I do.

D-Unit
05-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Like I said, I can see Spencer being the JJ of the 04 draft, and then.....just a complete desolate landscape until you get to the late round gem that was Crayton.

Still, not all THAT bad, really. It hurts to not get contributions from your 2nd and 3rd rounders, but it's not completely out of the norm. I have a feeling that one of our 7th round corners will make the team and compete for the nickel spot. I don't know why, but I do.
Well, we can't say that we had a second round bust from this draft. LOL. I think Marten will be able to contribute. His versatility is a plus. His strength needs to improve, but I like his nasty on field demeanor. Of the 2 corners, Courtney Brown is the one touted by many as a high potential player. Alan Ball is just a wasted pick, imo. I would've taken Brandon Siler there.

Dcboys94
05-01-2007, 11:04 PM
i think
spencer
Marten
Free
stanback
folk
brown
anderson
all make the team this year
7/8 is a good draft ...we went for depth and got good depth guys who arent under such pressure to start aND will be given time to blossom

Im_a_Romosexual
05-01-2007, 11:06 PM
^Other than Stanbeck I agree with your list

Potential_Upside
05-01-2007, 11:10 PM
^Other than Stanbeck I agree with your list

I'm sure he'll make the team. With as much say as Jerry has in all of this, and as much as I would assume that Jerry likes this guy, he'll make the team.

I doubt that Brown and Ball make it though. They remind me of less talented Reeves and Jones back when they were drafted.

Im_a_Romosexual
05-01-2007, 11:25 PM
I see Brown replacing Nate Jones

jdnoyes
05-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Brown and Ball have something very important going for them though and thats about half the salary, i'd bet at least one of the makes the team over Jones/Reeves.

D-Unit
05-02-2007, 03:44 AM
Jones is a gonner... He's been useless his entire time on the team. I'm not even sure that we tendered him a contract. I know Reeves signed his tender, but I haven't heard anything to do with Nate Jones.

Hello Courtney Brown! :D

thule
05-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Butler is a name we should be ready to see this year...I read some good things about him this offseason. I can't remember where..but supposedly he was suppose to give glenn a run for his money....I'm looking forward to seeing him.

D-Unit
05-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Butler is a name we should be ready to see this year...I read some good things about him this offseason. I can't remember where..but supposedly he was suppose to give glenn a run for his money....I'm looking forward to seeing him.
Who's Butler?

jdnoyes
05-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Quincy Butler, guy that was on our practice squad for most of last year, I think he was actually on the 53 for 1 or 2 weeks as well, played CB for TCU, also ran track I believe.