PDA

View Full Version : Lions are going to have an amazing offense this year

Jagonsucker
05-01-2007, 10:13 AM
We improved the o-line bringin in some real quailty players...we got a beautiful runningback trio (Jones- good combo of speed and strength, Bell- speed, TJ Duckett- Strength) and of course our wide outs Williams, CJ, and Furrey, and even Mcdonald. Its going to be fun to watch if everyone can stay healthy

asmitty45
05-01-2007, 10:27 AM
I sure hope youre right about the OLine, i agree that they are much improved if they can open up running lanes we should be in great shape.

Notredameleo
05-01-2007, 12:27 PM
I love optimism...

TacticaLion
05-01-2007, 12:41 PM
I love optimism...
It's true... the OLine is improved. Last year, Peterman, Frank Davis and Jonathan Scott were starting at one time or another. This year, we'll have something along the lines of Backus-Mutilato-Raiola-Woody-Foster... and, if ANY of them go down, we'll have Manuel Ramirez, Zach Piller, Frank Davis, Jonathan Scott and Blaine Saipaia to fill in.

A lot stronger than last year. And, if one of the RBs goes down, we'll have solid players behind him.

Not to mention our receivers.

If Kitna can put up 4,000+ yards without an OLine and with a weak running game, Kitna OR Stanton can succeed with these upgrades.

DeMonikk1
05-01-2007, 12:56 PM
It's true... the OLine is improved. Last year, Peterman, Frank Davis and Jonathan Scott were starting at one time or another. This year, we'll have something along the lines of Backus-Mutilato-Raiola-Woody-Foster... and, if ANY of them go down, we'll have Manuel Ramirez, Zach Piller, Frank Davis, Jonathan Scott and Blaine Saipaia to fill in.

A lot stronger than last year. And, if one of the RBs goes down, we'll have solid players behind him.

Not to mention our receivers.

If Kitna can put up 4,000+ yards without an OLine and with a weak running game, Kitna OR Stanton can succeed with these upgrades.

This is the truth..

Bootland27
05-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Yeah, the offense will be top 5 in the league this year IMO, if everyone stays healthy. However, They need to score at least 20-25 pts, to have a shot at winning a game and perhaps more than 30 if the defense struggles.

Notredameleo
05-01-2007, 01:57 PM
BUT will our DEFENSE be amazing??? no

Pocket
05-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Defense wins championships.

LionSmack
05-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Bullcrap. Balance wins championships.

And I want to see CJ in a game (even if it's preseason), getting open and doing everything he's supposed to do, before I say "no one can stop us." I have to be sure the coaching staff won't screw it up.

Iamcanadian
05-01-2007, 02:43 PM
H-mmm, whose the team with the best 2 WR's in the NFL, H-mmm Arizona, and where did they finish this year, H-mmmmm, 5th overall pick. I guess 2 great WR's aren't much without a QB and a good defense. Too bad Millen never noticed!!!

Pocket
05-01-2007, 03:15 PM
H-mmm, whose the team with the best 2 WR's in the NFL, H-mmm Arizona, and where did they finish this year, H-mmmmm, 5th overall pick. I guess 2 great WR's aren't much without a QB and a good defense. Too bad Millen never noticed!!!

Point Proven.

Scotty D
05-01-2007, 03:30 PM

Arizona can't run the ball though. I think a decent running game can be as important as a good defense at times. I think the defense will be better than some people think. Marinelli's second year with the players. Shaun Rogers for a year hopefully. Ernie Sims should break out even more. White should help the pash rush, and Redding should continue his play for that big contract next year. If our front 4 play well which I belive they will it will make it easier for the secondary. Which improves the defense as a whole. But I don't think we can win until we can run the ball.

Bootland27
05-01-2007, 03:30 PM

I agree. You can win with 2 great WRs and a great QB and its been done before. However, the problem is you won't get to the superbowl.

J-Hype
05-01-2007, 05:23 PM
I agree. You can win with 2 great WRs and a great QB and its been done before. However, the problem is you won't get to the superbowl.

theres a first time for everything

Pocket
05-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Arizona can't run the ball though. I think a decent running game can be as important as a good defense at times. I think the defense will be better than some people think. Marinelli's second year with the players. Shaun Rogers for a year hopefully. Ernie Sims should break out even more. White should help the pash rush, and Redding should continue his play for that big contract next year. If our front 4 play well which I belive they will it will make it easier for the secondary. Which improves the defense as a whole. But I don't think we can win until we can run the ball.

And the Lions can run the ball?

Michigan
05-01-2007, 05:50 PM

what is "run"?

TacticaLion
05-01-2007, 05:55 PM

WHAT?! Haha! I think you could make an argument that Harrison-Wayne is better than Fitz-Boldin... sure, you'd just say it's "all Peyton Manning"... but you can't deny that Harrison-Wayne is one of (if not) the best WR groups in the NFL.

As LionSmack said, balance wins championships. Both Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith's defenses struggled in their 1st year in the Cover 2, and emerged the next year. They went out and drafted hard working players... players that WANT to play and want to fight for a job. I'd much rather have players that feel fortunate to play and will do anything to make the field than players that think they're too important to work to earn a spot. They took Francis, Alexander and Davis for a reason... they know what they want, and I have a feeling that the defense will suprise people next year.

Don't forget, IAC... we've still got Redding and Rogers in the middle with Francis, White and Edwards on the outside. If we can provide a brutal pass-rush, our defense will be great.

I agree. You can win with 2 great WRs and a great QB and its been done before. However, the problem is you won't get to the superbowl.This is sarcasm, right? I hope so.

TacticaLion
05-01-2007, 05:56 PM

They've improved the OLine and brought in Dell and Buckett... which is MUCH better than Arlen Harris (and whoever else we had).

Addict
05-01-2007, 06:03 PM

ZOMG you are só right. That's why the Colts won the last superbowl.

Scotty D
05-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Kevin Jones also had basically a lost season. If we can get him going along with our WR's it will sovle a lot of problems.

Addict
05-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Point Proven.

You can't prove a point because Canedian agrees, he agrees with everything you say is bad about the Lions.

Pocket
05-01-2007, 06:22 PM
ZOMG you are só right. That's why the Colts won the last superbowl.

Did you happen to see how well the Colts defense played?

lionsfan81
05-01-2007, 06:29 PM
They've improved the OLine and brought in Dell and Buckett... which is MUCH better than Arlen Harris (and whoever else we had).

wasnt aveion cason another? lol but i agree i think our oline is much improved as well as the runningback committee, plus u never know what brian calhoun could bring us. I dont think a season with a record somewhere around or above .500 is out of the realm of possibility, especially with this offense and an improved defense.

WMD
05-01-2007, 06:33 PM
We might as well just play Drew Stanton his rookie year.

detroit4life
05-01-2007, 06:42 PM
http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/2007/05/martz_to_peter_king_this_is_th.html

wow this makes me excited read this article with Martz talking about this offense and look at the play he describes...sounds fun

Notredameleo
05-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Did anyone else notice that Marinelli said "Bell" will get a lot of yard because of CJ and Roy and not "Jones" will?

Scotty D
05-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Great piece. Can't wait to get those guys on the field.

TacticaLion
05-01-2007, 09:00 PM
That was a great read. Fun fun fun.

I'd love to have a 4 WR set as our base offense. Brutal.

casskid
05-02-2007, 02:02 AM
Well not only does the D line need to get a better pass rush, Kitna has to stop throwing the game in the 4th and the Lions have to start scoring touchdowns in the red zone. 2/3 of those wouldnt be bad, but 2/3 probably still means a 4-5 win season. This may be the year the Lions have something to build on, but this isnt the 8-10 win year we're all hoping for.

reinar
05-02-2007, 02:27 AM
maybe being in the 4WR spread O, with Bell in the backfield, would keep less men in the box, and perhaps off of Kitna.

less sacks = higher comp % and less 3rd and longs.

if Bell & Duckett can pound some yards, and maybe either of them have a 1k year, that would open up the D as well, and if we are less 3rd and long, and hence less punts, our Defense wont be on the field as long, which means they wont crash hard in the 4th so often.

should be a great year.

Iamcanadian
05-02-2007, 05:25 AM
[QUOTE=TacticaLion;369145]WHAT?! Haha! I think you could make an argument that Harrison-Wayne is better than Fitz-Boldin... sure, you'd just say it's "all Peyton Manning"... but you can't deny that Harrison-Wayne is one of (if not) the best WR groups in the NFL.

As LionSmack said, balance wins championships. Both Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith's defenses struggled in their 1st year in the Cover 2, and emerged the next year. They went out and drafted hard working players... players that WANT to play and want to fight for a job. I'd much rather have players that feel fortunate to play and will do anything to make the field than players that think they're too important to work to earn a spot. They took Francis, Alexander and Davis for a reason... they know what they want, and I have a feeling that the defense will suprise people next year.

Don't forget, IAC... we've still got Redding and Rogers in the middle with Francis, White and Edwards on the outside. If we can provide a brutal pass-rush, our defense will be great.

Besides the fact that Francis is a DT in a Cover 2, your absolutely right about one thing, if we can provide a brutal pass rush, our defense will be great. The top Cover 2 teams get 20 sacks out of their DE's alone, so the question is can Edwards and White account for 20 sacks. I think it is a very long stretch to say they can, we'll just have to see but if they fail, then it is going to be one h-ll of a long season. The reason I think they won't get their 20 sacks or anything close to it is, Edwards has never come close before and White could have been franchised by Tampa if they believed he had that potential just like we franchised Redding. So I'm not holding my breath expecting this kind of performance out of them. Then there is the MLBing position, a position that will determine our ability to stop the run. We still have nobody. Then there is the CB position, we are mediocre and finally the Safety position, nobody is mistaking them for All Pros. My conclusion is that our defense is very, very shaky, perhaps the worst in the NFL and its long term prognosis isn't looking good. If you see a great defense out of this group TachticaLion, then Millen should hire you as his PR agent, your great at making something out of nothing and Millen will provide you with an awful lot of nothing.

TacticaLion
05-02-2007, 11:42 AM
WHAT?! Haha! I think you could make an argument that Harrison-Wayne is better than Fitz-Boldin... sure, you'd just say it's "all Peyton Manning"... but you can't deny that Harrison-Wayne is one of (if not) the best WR groups in the NFL.

Besides the fact that Francis is a DT in a Cover 2, your absolutely right about one thing, if we can provide a brutal pass rush, our defense will be great. The top Cover 2 teams get 20 sacks out of their DE's alone, so the question is can Edwards and White account for 20 sacks. I think it is a very long stretch to say they can, we'll just have to see but if they fail, then it is going to be one h-ll of a long season. The reason I think they won't get their 20 sacks or anything close to it is, Edwards has never come close before and White could have been franchised by Tampa if they believed he had that potential just like we franchised Redding. So I'm not holding my breath expecting this kind of performance out of them. Then there is the MLBing position, a position that will determine our ability to stop the run. We still have nobody. Then there is the CB position, we are mediocre and finally the Safety position, nobody is mistaking them for All Pros. My conclusion is that our defense is very, very shaky, perhaps the worst in the NFL and its long term prognosis isn't looking good. If you see a great defense out of this group TachticaLion, then Millen should hire you as his PR agent, your great at making something out of nothing and Millen will provide you with an awful lot of nothing.

Arguing with you about players that haven't played in the NFL (or that were backups on a team with strong DEs) is pointless. They drafted players that want to work hard and want to succeed.

I'd take that over any other approach.

lionsfan320
05-02-2007, 12:51 PM
I don't know about you guys but I'm actually really liking this draft.

can't wait to see CJ and Roy together on the field. I also really like Ike Francis. I think he's going to be a star on this team. also, I read that Manuel Ramirez Benches somewhere around 525, and thats always nice.. I read the CB we got A.J. something (4th rounder I think) Ran a 4.2 on his schools pro day.

all in all, I think Rod Marinelli has a vision of what he wants to do, and the type of player he needs to get that done. I think someone said before, had the DE and DB that we took were Charles Johnson and Marcus Mccauley instead of who we did take, it would be regarded as an excellent draft.

bearsfan_51
05-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Arguing with you about players that haven't played in the NFL (or that were backups on a team with strong DEs) is pointless. They drafted players that want to work hard and want to succeed.

I'd take that over any other approach.

I was curious to hear your repsonse to the draft after you were hyped up about trading down and acquiring defensive talent, neither of which they did.

LionSmack
05-02-2007, 02:40 PM
I was curious to hear your repsonse to the draft after you were hyped up about trading down and acquiring defensive talent, neither of which they did.

They traded down (and then back up), just not with the #2 pick. Also they acquired talent for every need position on their defense, just not name-recognition players.

Actually this draft for the Lions after the first two picks reminded me a lot of a Bears draft, like last year's draft, which seemed to be full of reaches on lower-rated guys for the Bears, and yet it turned out pretty good. Bears fans should be able to appreciate the value of sleeper picks based on attitude and character.

bearsfan_51
05-02-2007, 02:53 PM
They traded down (and then back up), just not with the #2 pick. Also they acquired talent for every need position on their defense, just not name-recognition players.

Actually this draft for the Lions after the first two picks reminded me a lot of a Bears draft, like last year's draft, which seemed to be full of reaches on lower-rated guys for the Bears, and yet it turned out pretty good. Bears fans should be able to appreciate the value of sleeper picks based on attitude and character.

No I like your draft, I'm just curious as to his thoughts since it was basically the opposite of what he wanted them to do.

LionSmack
05-02-2007, 03:04 PM
yeah that's true for most Lions fans. Here's the thing, if the Lions had the exact same draft, with all the trade ups and what have you, and yet they had drafted guys we all had heard of, everyone would be giving the Lions a A++ and saying Millen turned his whole tenure around.

Like say instead of Francis, Alexander, Davis and Baldwin, we'd gotten Charles Johnson, Marcus McCauley, Tanard Jackson and HB Blades. People would be going totally apeshit over this draft. But because they took guys with less name power, everyone hates it. But the fact is that either way, they addressed all their needs. Now we just have to see if the players can fill the spots or if they're just the latest faces in an eternally sub-par defense.

bearsfan_51
05-02-2007, 03:47 PM
The draft that you just mentioned is Millen circa 2004. Take Mel Kiper's sheet and pick the player at the top of the list. That's why the Lions have been a team with a lot of "talent" and no chemistry.

I'm not going to say that Millen gets it at this point, but at least he's drafting players with some idea of what system your team actually runs. The defensive players drafted fit the Tampa 2 nicely.

Addict
05-02-2007, 04:48 PM
The draft that you just mentioned is Millen circa 2004. Take Mel Kiper's sheet and pick the player at the top of the list. That's why the Lions have been a team with a lot of "talent" and no chemistry.

I'm not going to say that Millen gets it at this point, but at least he's drafting players with some idea of what system your team actually runs. The defensive players drafted fit the Tampa 2 nicely.

Plus he's finally (I think we have Marinelli to thank for that) understanding the importance of character, which I think pushed him over the edge in regards to Calvin Johnson. BMW and C-Rog were both excellent prospects, they just lacked one thing Johnson does possess: a friggin' backbone and some dicipline.

Mythos
05-02-2007, 08:40 PM
No I like your draft, I'm just curious as to his thoughts since it was basically the opposite of what he wanted them to do.

If I were a bears fan, I'd like the lions draft also.

TacticaLion
05-02-2007, 10:24 PM

At first, I was a bit disappointed. I wanted either Adams, Willis or Landry, and I really wanted them to trade down.

Now that I see what they did, I'm glad they didn't go that direction. We've got Roy and Calvin with our "QB of the future" in Stanton... which will be an incredible offense.

I think I'd be disappointed if we didn't have Rod Marinelli... because we'd probably have drafted the "names" and not the hard working, effort players that Marinelli loves. Our defense is built around the pass rush, and we've got Alama-Francis/Edwards - Redding - Rogers - White, which can provide that. I really wanted a safety to start over Kennedy, and they love Alexander. Great things have been said about Baldwin, and it would be interesting to see if he can turn into a solid player.

A few threads back, I mentioned a draft where we took CJ and Stanton... and how outstanding that would be for the team. So, as I didn't want it at first, I love the draft and feel great about next year.

TacticaLion
05-02-2007, 10:25 PM

Couldn't agree more.

dreadedluck
05-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Our offense is a little better, but our running game is not in the plans with Martz. You cant plug in backups off another team and expect great changes. Kitna will get sacked over 50 times again this year. Of course he will throw for 4000, teams have aloud the lions under Martz system to move the ball outside the 35 yard line and then they clamp down inside the 35 yardline. and Kitna takes a sack or throws a pick. This happened time after time last year.

Biggest problem the lions will face is playing from behind. With the worst D in the game, teams are going to control both the clock and the scoreboard, leaving Kitna to throw throw throw into a Defense that will be sitting and waiting. This always leads to overexagerated passing numbers and lots of sacks, and of course a lose.

Addict
05-03-2007, 04:46 AM
Our offense is a little better, but our running game is not in the plans with Martz. You cant plug in backups off another team and expect great changes. Kitna will get sacked over 50 times again this year. Of course he will throw for 4000, teams have aloud the lions under Martz system to move the ball outside the 35 yard line and then they clamp down inside the 35 yardline. and Kitna takes a sack or throws a pick. This happened time after time last year.

Biggest problem the lions will face is playing from behind. With the worst D in the game, teams are going to control both the clock and the scoreboard, leaving Kitna to throw throw throw into a Defense that will be sitting and waiting. This always leads to overexagerated passing numbers and lots of sacks, and of course a lose.

I don't want to keep bringing them up, but the Colts have done the great offense, poor defense trick for years now, so you could argue that it does in fact work. Of course, I know we're still miles away from the Colts' offense, but it does indicate this strategy can and has worked. Of course we don't have peyton manning and we do lack a real running game, the line isn't as strong as Indy's line is, but we're working on it, and if we were to spend a first-day pick (not in round 1, we NEED some defensive playmakers) on an O-lineman... we could be in pretty good shape.

Crickett
05-03-2007, 06:11 AM
H-mmm, whose the team with the best 2 WR's in the NFL, H-mmm Arizona

Uhmmmm, try Indianapolis.

Mythos
05-03-2007, 06:17 AM
At first, I was a bit disappointed. I wanted either Adams, Willis or Landry, and I really wanted them to trade down.

Now that I see what they did, I'm glad they didn't go that direction. We've got Roy and Calvin with our "QB of the future" in Stanton... which will be an incredible offense.

I think I'd be disappointed if we didn't have Rod Marinelli... because we'd probably have drafted the "names" and not the hard working, effort players that Marinelli loves. Our defense is built around the pass rush, and we've got Alama-Francis/Edwards - Redding - Rogers - White, which can provide that. I really wanted a safety to start over Kennedy, and they love Alexander. Great things have been said about Baldwin, and it would be interesting to see if he can turn into a solid player.

A few threads back, I mentioned a draft where we took CJ and Stanton... and how outstanding that would be for the team. So, as I didn't want it at first, I love the draft and feel great about next year.

I totally disagree, but kudos for stepping up w/ an explanation and answering the question. + 1rep

dreadedluck
05-03-2007, 07:43 PM
THE COLTS? Did you guys watch that game against the Chiefs? I would say 100 percent that the D solidified the win. And lets look at the super bowl, that D pressured Chicago into lots of turnovers.

In fact in the playoffs, the Colts offense under achheived and the D carried them to the superbowl. So there is really no arguement at all that the D was the biggest part of the Colts playoff run. The only scam was not giving them the MVP award in the Superbowl because everyone knows Manning didnt deserve it.

TacticaLion
05-03-2007, 08:01 PM
THE COLTS? Did you guys watch that game against the Chiefs? I would say 100 percent that the D solidified the win. And lets look at the super bowl, that D pressured Chicago into lots of turnovers.

In fact in the playoffs, the Colts offense under achheived and the D carried them to the superbowl. So there is really no arguement at all that the D was the biggest part of the Colts playoff run. The only scam was not giving them the MVP award in the Superbowl because everyone knows Manning didnt deserve it.
Wow... the Colts' defense stepped up in a few games (granted, when it mattered). Regardless, they were nowhere near that level in the regular season, something people take into consideration.

If Grossman hadn't messed up his snaps and didn't throw 2 picks, the Bears could've actually won that game. The fact that Manning wasn't affected by the weather and also led his team to a win says a lot.

dreadedluck
05-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Colts D last year played better in the playoffs then any other team. Manning played average in the Superbowl look at his stats, was terrible in the rain, got lucky and hit Wayne on a blown coverage play for a touchdown. Did you even watch that game?

Defense wins Championships, and the Colts D stepped it up and won. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE PLAYOFFS. And until the Colts D stepped up last year, they didn't put on any rings, even with Manning's 49 TD season a couple of years ago. Marino(SB 19), Elway(SB 21 22 24), Unitas(SB 3) all with the high powered offenses saw defeat in the Superbowl. Great QB with high powered offenses are fun to watch, but the game is played with pads for a reason cause the Defense dictates Championships.

Funny blaming Grossman for throwing picks, doesnt that kind of prove the defenses play in winning the game. That is what you said the Bears could have won if Grossman didnt throw picks... last time I checked great D causes turnovers(5 in the superbowl last year) poor decision making and uncalled for throws. (Stanton will show you alot of this).

I will take a solid Defense over Martz greatest show on turf any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

iKNOW
05-04-2007, 03:04 AM
the lions need a QB. kitna throws too many picks at the wrong time (red zone). on paper they look good except at QB.

same on defense. good players all around but no production. the secondary is a bit weak but serviceable.

Addict
05-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Colts D last year played better in the playoffs then any other team. Manning played average in the Superbowl look at his stats, was terrible in the rain, got lucky and hit Wayne on a blown coverage play for a touchdown. Did you even watch that game?

Defense wins Championships, and the Colts D stepped it up and won. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE PLAYOFFS. And until the Colts D stepped up last year, they didn't put on any rings, even with Manning's 49 TD season a couple of years ago. Marino(SB 19), Elway(SB 21 22 24), Unitas(SB 3) all with the high powered offenses saw defeat in the Superbowl. Great QB with high powered offenses are fun to watch, but the game is played with pads for a reason cause the Defense dictates Championships.

Funny blaming Grossman for throwing picks, doesnt that kind of prove the defenses play in winning the game. That is what you said the Bears could have won if Grossman didnt throw picks... last time I checked great D causes turnovers(5 in the superbowl last year) poor decision making and uncalled for throws. (Stanton will show you alot of this).

I will take a solid Defense over Martz greatest show on turf any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

dude if you're expecting a SB run next year, then you're so far off you can't even see reality with binoculars anymore. If we made it to the wild card game this year, I'd be excited, shocked, thrilled, amazed and <insert another 'suprise' emotion>... we'll need one, maybe two good offseasons before we can even consider a playoff run, maybe if all the picks pan out, we'll be going on a superbowl run in... mabye 5, 6 years. (that's being so optimistic you can see the border with utopic)

dreadedluck
05-04-2007, 02:46 PM
You guys are the ones hanging your hat on a great offense. My point is and was are Defense sucks, and a great offense doesn't counter it. SB in the future, I don't know what you are reading, my point shows that an offense doesn't win SB, but Defense does. Since last year we ranked 28, and this year we are a weaker squad, I think what Im saying 3 wins, something Ive said all along. Im not a flip flopper like some.

You know it would benefit if you read all the posts, but in case you missed them, one statement will do...Detroit Lions rebuilding since 1957!

supermario86
05-06-2007, 07:11 PM
QB: Jon Kitna
RB: Kevin Jones
RB2: Tatum Bell
WR: Roy Williams
WR2: Calvin Johnson
TE: Dan Cambell
LT: Jeff Backus
LG: Edwin
C: Domonic Riaola
RG: Damien Woody
RT: Jonothan Scott

dreadedluck
05-06-2007, 08:10 PM
The one thing that made the Rams so good was Faulk. Even with Bruce and Holt, the team really struggled when they got pass happy in the past. Trent Green's success was also attributed to Holmes and Johnson.

I really believe this offense needs a solid running back. Jones is hurt every year and Bell, was ok behind that Broncos O line, but Im not sold on him. He has ball protection issues and is a smaller then average back. Duckett could really help the offense but I don't think Martz has plans to use him outside of short yardage plays. hopefully Bell will really do well, but the Broncos line has made backs in the past.

The offensive line is a little better, Woody will probaly be released. Im not to high on the Mutilator, with his injury proned past and he is a better run blocker then pass blocker, something that should be the other way around for Martz. Scott will end up being a wash in my opinion.

The big thing everyone over looks is the defense directly relates to how the offense is used. When teams rush all over us, and control the clock and the scoreboard the Lions, as they did last year, will be throwing the ball. This will allow all of our opponents to "pin their ears back" and pure pass rush. This will lead to plenty of sacks and turnovers.

Stats do not win games, so Kitna can throw for 4000 yards again and it doesnt make us any better in the win-lose column. But hey it looks good in Madden!!

Football is all about balance, something we are completely lacking.

I think the offense will have about the same output as last year. As much as everyone hates Furrey, he did catch 98 balls with 1000+ yards and 6 TDs.( an absolute awesome year that would get any player with a known name a pro bowl selection) I expect CJ to have more yards but less catches. And TDs... well that depends they loved throwing to Campbell last year, instead of an alternate Pro Bowler (Williams). But when all the smoke has cleared, where it matters...the record... we will win 3 or 4 games. I will not be surprised if we lose to Oakland (at Oakland) on opening day.

Either Williams or CJ could very possibly be an All-Pro (without injuries). Both is a stretch, just because of ball distribution, but it is possible Martz loves 4 wide singleback form.

One final thing if Kitna gets hurt we are really in big trouble. Danny O and Drew S. are not ready to step in and play this year, especially in the EGOmaniac's system. With Stanton being drafted it shows Danny O. will never be a starter in Detroit, which was expected by most.

Yung Flippa
05-06-2007, 08:24 PM
no doubt you guys will have a better year this year

Scotty D
05-06-2007, 08:39 PM
I'd love to see Dan- O start some games this year. But anyways I don't think this season would have that much different if we took Patrick Willis or Gaines Adams. I think next year is the year we should expect playoff contention anyways. I still have high hopes for this season and think its possible if the right players break out that we can surprise some people.

Addict
05-07-2007, 12:54 PM
I'd love to see Dan- O start some games this year. But anyways I don't think this season would have that much different if we took Patrick Willis or Gaines Adams. I think next year is the year we should expect playoff contention anyways. I still have high hopes for this season and think its possible if the right players break out that we can surprise some people.

Next year playoffs IF we get some defensive playmakers in the '08 draft. Hopefully the offense will be what we expect it to be...

Bootland27
05-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Next year playoffs IF we get some defensive playmakers in the '08 draft. Hopefully the offense will be what we expect it to be...

Yeah we really need to go defense heavy in the '08 draft for that to happen. Unfortunately, this year won't matter anyways. The secondary couldn't cover a caterpillar. Teams are gonna be throwing at will, regardless.

detknowitall
05-11-2007, 04:07 PM
no doubt you guys will have a better year this year

Yeah true, but 4-12 is better. Better wont do it. good= 9-7 great= 10-6 excellent=12-4. Better just isnt saying that much.

Addict
05-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Yeah true, but 4-12 is better. Better wont do it. good= 9-7 great= 10-6 excellent=12-4. Better just isnt saying that much.

Whoa nelly! We still have zero defense (barring D-line, which is pretty good) so I think your goals are a bit high...
I'd say it's...
4-12 to 6-10 better, thus improving
7-9 good
8-8 great
9-7 excellent
10-6 phenomenal
11-5 rediculous
12-4 I'd wet myself out of excitement
13-3 about as likely as the pope marrying an arabian male
14-2 hell just froze over
15-1 only if every other player in the league falls to injury
16-0 only if we play pee-wee teams and the opponents are without pads.

jbombul
05-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Whoa nelly! We still have zero defense (barring D-line, which is pretty good) so I think your goals are a bit high...
I'd say it's...
4-12 to 6-10 better, thus improving
7-9 good
8-8 great
9-7 excellent
10-6 phenomenal
11-5 rediculous
12-4 I'd wet myself out of excitement
13-3 about as likely as the pope marrying an arabian male
14-2 hell just froze over
15-1 only if every other player in the league falls to injury
16-0 only if we play pee-wee teams and the opponents are without pads.

sometimes, you try too hard

detroit4life
05-14-2007, 07:31 PM
our record this year may not show much improvement we play a very hard schedule and some players may not be ready to contribute as well as we hope. Im expecting a top ten pick again but i do believe our team in two years will be much much better that they are now i think this team is a couple years away but i do feel they are getting there

reinar
05-14-2007, 11:16 PM
i agree that our team is better, and i think we have a good shot at 7-9 or 8-8, and if we have another year like last year (9 games of 7 points or less) that we will win more of them, than we lose.

Iamcanadian
05-15-2007, 12:10 AM
our record this year may not show much improvement we play a very hard schedule and some players may not be ready to contribute as well as we hope. Im expecting a top ten pick again but i do believe our team in two years will be much much better that they are now i think this team is a couple years away but i do feel they are getting there

Unfortunately, Kitna is 35 and in 2 years, he will have to be replaced. Stanton was the 5th QB taken in a weak QB class and it is very problematic that he will ever become a starter. If we don't sign Redding to a long term contract, he's gone after next year and he's probably our best defensive player. Martz , you can put money on, is hoping a decent Detroit offense leads him to another HCing position.
I agree we will be drafting top 10 next year but I don't see any hope for our future. These franchise hasn't got anything but 2 decent WR's and an OLB around which a future can be built. Millen is going to leave this franchise in a condition can can only be described as a disaster zone that will have to be rebuilt from scratch.

detroit4life
05-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Unfortunately, Kitna is 35 and in 2 years, he will have to be replaced. Stanton was the 5th QB taken in a weak QB class and it is very problematic that he will ever become a starter. If we don't sign Redding to a long term contract, he's gone after next year and he's probably our best defensive player. Martz , you can put money on, is hoping a decent Detroit offense leads him to another HCing position.
I agree we will be drafting top 10 next year but I don't see any hope for our future. These franchise hasn't got anything but 2 decent WR's and an OLB around which a future can be built. Millen is going to leave this franchise in a condition can can only be described as a disaster zone that will have to be rebuilt from scratch.

Stanton was taken to be taught under Martz and to start in a year or two theres no other reason we took him. Redding will most likely sign a long term deal he wants the security and we could just franchise him again next year. I think saying CJ and Roy are decent is an understatement because those two together are going to be very good. I think our offense is in place we have a future QB with good/great wr's and two good rb's. The oline has been patched up but may need some adressing sometime. If we are able to build this defense a little more i see no reason why this team could be a quality team. our front 4 is very good with a good upside our LB's can be good if we can stay healthy adn we have 2 young safeties. Add a good DE and CB's and this defense can easily be a top 15 given time and it will not happen this year i can agree with you on that

Scotty D
05-15-2007, 07:25 PM
I think we need one more draft to let Marinelli get some more of his defensive players. Plus there is free agency next year.

Mythos
05-15-2007, 08:47 PM
This year will be bad, but I think '09 is rock bottom. The scary thing about the defense is how thin it is at every position.

dreadedluck
05-16-2007, 03:36 PM
In couple of years Roy Williams contract will be up, and he will want number 1 WR money, so we will either keep Williams or CJ, because I dont think we will be able to afford both. In two years the Lions offense will have Stanton at QB, a second round QB in a poor QB draft. Duckett's contract is up after this year, KJ has only had one productive season, as a rookie, because of injuries, Tatum Bell, is not only a question mark at RB, but also not a down by down back. The offensive line will have even older Veterans that were abandoned by former teams.

So we have free agency, which has never been a strength of the Lions, and willl not get any better until the organization gets a face lift. So we will have to overpay free agents that other teams so no interest in. We have the Draft, which in the past has also been very suspect. The next couple of years should be built around Defensive drafts, which will only cause our offense to become that much more neglected. Anyone that thinks Martz is loyal to the Lions needs to wake up, cause if he gets a HC oppurtunity hes out a here. But hopefully his poor HC skills in ST. Louis causes him to stay in Detroit to help Stanton become another bridge QB.

I guess only a couple of us in here really see Detroit as rebuilding since 1957. The face of our organization will be a WR, something just unholy about that!

Addict
05-16-2007, 03:43 PM
In couple of years Roy Williams contract will be up, and he will want number 1 WR money, so we will either keep Williams or CJ, because I dont think we will be able to afford both. In two years the Lions offense will have Stanton at QB, a second round QB in a poor QB draft. Duckett's contract is up after this year, KJ has only had one productive season, as a rookie, because of injuries, Tatum Bell, is not only a question mark at RB, but also not a down by down back. The offensive line will have even older Veterans that were abandoned by former teams.

So we have free agency, which has never been a strength of the Lions, and willl not get any better until the organization gets a face lift. So we will have to overpay free agents that other teams so no interest in. We have the Draft, which in the past has also been very suspect. The next couple of years should be built around Defensive drafts, which will only cause our offense to become that much more neglected. Anyone that thinks Martz is loyal to the Lions needs to wake up, cause if he gets a HC oppurtunity hes out a here. But hopefully his poor HC skills in ST. Louis causes him to stay in Detroit to help Stanton become another bridge QB.

I guess only a couple of us in here really see Detroit as rebuilding since 1957. The face of our organization will be a WR, something just unholy about that!
http://www.interpunk.com/itemimages2/75120.jpg

dreadedluck
05-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Cheer up, when I see some cheerleaders!

Addict
05-16-2007, 03:55 PM

fine, fine

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/55199874_ff1b2b1954.jpg

dreadedluck
05-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Hey there you go, looks like Millen, Marinelli and Martz got all dressed up for you.

Scotty D
05-16-2007, 03:59 PM
I think we do pretty good in free agency.

Addict
05-16-2007, 04:02 PM
I think we do pretty good in free agency.

we got the mutilator... and... who else?

Scotty D
05-16-2007, 04:05 PM
we got the mutilator... and... who else?

White
McDonald
Duckett
Fisher

And I know I'm missing somebody. I think those guys can be solid contributors to this team and all have cheap contracts.

Addict
05-16-2007, 04:09 PM
White
McDonald
Duckett
Fisher

And I know I'm missing somebody. I think those guys can be solid contributors to this team and all have cheap contracts.

okay, that's great. I can just see Millen in a bar talking to a barman...
'you know, I like my women the way I like my football players: cheap and ready to play'

bearsfan_51
05-16-2007, 04:09 PM
White wasn't exactly "cheap".

dreadedluck
05-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Mcdonald and Duckett, a number 4 WR and a backup to the backup RB, isnt exactly building a future, especially with a one year deal with Duckett

Addict
05-16-2007, 04:24 PM

fine, fine

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/55199874_ff1b2b1954.jpg

I thought we had talked this over Dreadedluck...

http://www.practise.co.uk/artwork/nomoretears.gif

*you've seen your cheerleaders, so cheer up emo kid ;)

Scotty D
05-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Mcdonald and Duckett, a number 4 WR and a backup to the backup RB, isnt exactly building a future, especially with a one year deal with Duckett

Nobody builds a future in free agency. Free agency is about adding quality depth and adding one or two veteran starters. Who else could we have realistically signed this off-season? We did not have a ton of cap room.

Addict
05-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Nobody builds a future in free agency. Free agency is about adding quality depth and adding one or two veteran starters. Who else could we have realistically signed this off-season? We did not have a ton of cap room.

speaking of our cap... where the hell does all that money go? Who are we overpaying?

Scotty D
05-16-2007, 04:57 PM
speaking of our cap... where the hell does all that money go? Who are we overpaying?

That is a good question. Backus, Woody, Rogers, Redding have to be up there.

Addict
05-16-2007, 04:59 PM
That is a good question. Backus, Woody, Rogers, Redding have to be up there.

Maybe a cap hit we took getting rid of C-Rog as well.

I'm guessing Rogers (shaun) isn't cheap to keep around either. And Jeff and Woody do take a lot... That's why I doubt Woody will be on roster when the kickoff comes around. He's too expensive for what he brings to the table.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-16-2007, 05:01 PM

Offense wins games, and that's what the Detroit Lions need right now.

dreadedluck
05-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Our cap is jacked up because we have over paid players to stay here. Redding will be another example of that.

I agree drafts build teams, Free agency is just as important tho in this day and age, a good example instead of Drew Brees a pro bowler in his 20's, who had arm problems, we took, Jon Kitna a 30 plus year old that has always been a bridge QB. Jeff Backus is a sold starter not an elite player, yet he is played as an elite player, why because if we did not pay him he would have left. Every year we lose better players then we replace them with. Dewayne White our great off season pick up, was payed 30 million dollars, and he has not proven he is worth that in Tampa, who easily replaced him with Gaines Adams a real prospect in the draft.

Every year there are elite free agents, like Julian Peterson, Steve Hutchinson, Charles Woodson, and while I know it is hard to attract these players, these are the guys that make differences on teams. The players we pick up are cut or damaged, or from our Coaching Staff's former teams. They are average players that are put in a position to fail, because they are highly payed and never perform upto there salary.

Scotty D
05-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Our cap is jacked up because we have over paid players to stay here. Redding will be another example of that.

I agree drafts build teams, Free agency is just as important tho in this day and age, a good example instead of Drew Brees a pro bowler in his 20's, who had arm problems, we took, Jon Kitna a 30 plus year old that has always been a bridge QB. Jeff Backus is a sold starter not an elite player, yet he is played as an elite player, why because if we did not pay him he would have left. Every year we lose better players then we replace them with. Dewayne White our great off season pick up, was payed 30 million dollars, and he has not proven he is worth that in Tampa, who easily replaced him with Gaines Adams a real prospect in the draft.

Every year there are elite free agents, like Julian Peterson, Steve Hutchinson, Charles Woodson, and while I know it is hard to attract these players, these are the guys that make differences on teams. The players we pick up are cut or damaged, or from our Coaching Staff's former teams. They are average players that are put in a position to fail, because they are highly payed and never perform upto there salary.

Julian Peterson is one guy that we should have got. I'm not sure if we would have still drafted Sims then. We could have Leinart or Cutler. Or Sims and Peterson. White is more proven then Gaines, and I belive cheaper. I'd rather have White and Calvin than just Adams. I don't think Hutchinson or Woodson were realistic options.

dreadedluck
05-16-2007, 05:51 PM
The Tigers were in the same situation, with free agents not wanting to come here, so they over paid Weaver, Higginson, Clark, and Im sure there are more. Things only changed when they paid more for real proven players, like I Rod, and took a chance on Mag Pipes, coming off injury. Then progress rapidly improved. Free agents like Kenny Rogers, Shef who, waved his no trade clause have now come aboard. Adding to this drafted players has made a complete turn around.

I think once the Lions start letting average players go like Backus and Redding, and stop over paying back up free agents like White, Mcdonald, and Kitna and instead save the cap until you can reel in a big free agent to build off, we are just going in circles. Our drafted players then will not be expected to be life savers and hopefully we will start attracting more talent if we invest wisely in a superstar.

I dont know what was realistic or not with hutchy and Woodson, but I think White is maxed out at his potential and Adams was the best DE drafted. Obviously Tampa believes that they replaced White with Adams. Marinelli couldn't turn White into a superstar in Tampa when he was there, but maybe something will change.

Im not a big fan of Adams, but he has way more upside then White a veteran backup. Peterson would have changed the entire Franchise. We would have not drafted Simms or Stanton, but instead had Leinart or Cutler and Peterson as you said. But instead we have a second round QB instead of a first and a WLB picked 9 overall instead of Peterson a pro bowler. Simms is good but I will always be pissed we took him so high, of course paying him more money and at a position that is not a strength of our D. But at least he is looking good.

detroit4life
05-16-2007, 06:31 PM
The Tigers were in the same situation, with free agents not wanting to come here, so they over paid Weaver, Higginson, Clark, and Im sure there are more. Things only changed when they paid more for real proven players, like I Rod, and took a chance on Mag Pipes, coming off injury. Then progress rapidly improved. Free agents like Kenny Rogers, Shef who, waved his no trade clause have now come aboard. Adding to this drafted players has made a complete turn around.

I think once the Lions start letting average players go like Backus and Redding, and stop over paying back up free agents like White, Mcdonald, and Kitna and instead save the cap until you can reel in a big free agent to build off, we are just going in circles. Our drafted players then will not be expected to be life savers and hopefully we will start attracting more talent if we invest wisely in a superstar.

I dont know what was realistic or not with hutchy and Woodson, but I think White is maxed out at his potential and Adams was the best DE drafted. Obviously Tampa believes that they replaced White with Adams. Marinelli couldn't turn White into a superstar in Tampa when he was there, but maybe something will change.

Im not a big fan of Adams, but he has way more upside then White a veteran backup. Peterson would have changed the entire Franchise. We would have not drafted Simms or Stanton, but instead had Leinart or Cutler and Peterson as you said. But instead we have a second round QB instead of a first and a WLB picked 9 overall instead of Peterson a pro bowler. Simms is good but I will always be pissed we took him so high, of course paying him more money and at a position that is not a strength of our D. But at least he is looking good.

did u just call sims good looking?

unfortunately your comparison to the tigers is a terrible one because in baseball there is no franchise tag so you are able to get great players in FA where as in football you cannot build a team around your FA signing. On top of that we the tigers overpaid high risk players in I rod a catcher over 40 and Maggs who at the time his knees were terible they just happened to luck out and were able to greatly increase they're payroll on a wimb due to no salary cap. Therefore that comparison between the two teams is terrible.

dreadedluck
05-16-2007, 08:44 PM
The Franchise tag, is a one year deal in which the player is paid among the top 5 players at that position. The next year the Franchise tag can not be reapplied to that player. So tagging a player only delays a Fa or a long term deal.

The KC Chiefs built there team around Priest Holmes, the St. Louis Rams built there team around Marshall Faulk, the NO Saints built there team around Drew Brees. All of these were free agent signings. All these franchises struggled until these free agents became the center pieces of the team. This is my point, one FA superstar can significantly change your team. I never said building a team through FA, like the Redskins.

My point was exactly that you need to over pay players until you get a organization over haul. So we did pay a future hall of famer, and a player when healthy is great, to large contracts. These players are and have proven themselves in the league. My point was and still is if we are going to overpay players they should at least be superstars. Apparently you missed that in my earlier post. And Kenny Rogers signing and Gary Sheffield, waving his no trade clause is the result of having superstars in place.

Instead of overpaying Backus, Edwards, Woody, White and Kitna we could have instead gone after a superstar player or two. But we choose mediocre players to over pay.

detroit4life
05-16-2007, 09:39 PM
thats three examples of significant FA acuisitions in the NFL but how many years is a hall of hame type player available in FA in the NFL. the only reason brees was there because he tore up his shoulder and noone thought he'd be ok. The fact is rarely is there ever a FA that you can build your team around in the NFL. Woody was suppose to be a great player when we did over pay him if your old enough to undertsand that he was coming off a pro bowl year and a superbowl win with the pats. Also most of the time when a player is franchise tagged he ends up signing a longterm contract cuz he'll get a lot of money and a lot of security and they rarely wait it out on a one year deal to hit FA

dreadedluck
05-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Well Im convinced Detroit4Life you have to be Matt Millen. Speaking of age, and remembering things whens the last time the Lions won a Championship 1957. Its like you can't read a post correctly your Franchise Tag comment is what I said. You just reidiotated it.

bearsfan_51
05-16-2007, 11:52 PM
The Franchise tag, is a one year deal in which the player is paid among the top 5 players at that position. The next year the Franchise tag can not be reapplied to that player. So tagging a player only delays a Fa or a long term deal.
Umm....yes it can.

dreadedluck
05-17-2007, 12:16 AM
Yeah for two years consecutively, but I do not think Detroit will do that with Redding. Thanks for the fix with the FT.

woodnick
05-17-2007, 07:51 PM
I could be wrong, but the Franchise Tag can be used on the same player for an unlimited amount of years.

Iamcanadian
05-17-2007, 08:43 PM

I agree, all this franchise has until Millen is replaced is an aging QB, solid WR's, an average LT and a defense that has a young LB and Redding who is franchised and will likely be either gone or overpaid to stay. Millen has been forced to overpay his average player like Backus with Redding next. They are paid top 5 money but don't produce at a top 5 level. Sure, if Redding doesn't sign long term, we can franchise him again but then how do we retain our next FA. Players don't want to play in Detroit unless you overpay them substantially. The FA's Millen signed came here for one of 2 reasons, they wanted to play for Martz or they were overpaid and are a severe drain on our cap. Those who came here for the money have shown in the past, that they really are only playing for the money before they retire, if they were interested in playing on a winner, they would hardly be picking Detroit as their place of employment. That's why so many of Millen's high priced FA's have been practically useless here.
Until Millen leaves, this franchise will continue on its 50 year exodus from any championship games and worse, Millen will leave this franchise practically barren of talent. When Ford hires our next GM, we 1st have to pray he is talented and even if Ford gets by his own ineptitude and actually hires a competent GM, something he hasn't done for 50 years, the new GM will have to rebuild this franchise from scratch. Detroit fans are realistically looking at at least another decade before we will be a seriously competitive team.

detroit4life
05-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Yeah for two years consecutively, but I do not think Detroit will do that with Redding. Thanks for the fix with the FT.

its actually three good good try though and no im not matt millen and no matter what your making a terible comparison in comparing the lions to the tigers because it take much more to rebuild in the nfl than it does in the MLB in the MLB all you need is some extra cash and you can sign anybody in FA and FA has all stars every year available where as in the NFL you have a salary cap you cannot just throw a ton of money to one player and there are rarely probowlers available in FA so your comparisons are just terrible i can read your posts its just a lot of crap. Your trying to seem educated while your simply just trying to say Millen sucks and we all know that so why not give it up

dreadedluck
05-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Detroit4life you may feel free to respond to me or not, call me and my thoughts crap, thats fine. Sure hope you are enjoying yourself on here. Good luck with your thoughts and we will see when the season is over where the crap falls. GBU

Scotty D
05-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Detroit4life you may feel free to respond to me or not, call me and my thoughts crap, thats fine. Sure hope you are enjoying yourself on here. Good luck with your thoughts and we will see when the season is over where the crap falls. GBU

No one is thinking we are going to be that great this year. Most are expecting a top ten pick. Most think the year after is when we should realistically look for some kind of playoff push.

Addict
05-18-2007, 08:36 AM
No one is thinking we are going to be that great this year. Most are expecting a top ten pick. Most think the year after is when we should realistically look for some kind of playoff push.

won't be next year either. Two years. We'll most likely have stanton behind center next year, and no way a post-rookie second rounder is gonna take us there. Plus if we really want to make a push we'd have to fix the secondary and the linebacker positions as well, provided of course that none of the second-day guys actually make an impact... I'd love a little marquez colston (not WR, but a LB or something) action.

detroit4life
05-18-2007, 06:29 PM

i've already said i dont expect to be a great team this year and i expect to be picking top 10 just like scotty D said this team isnt a one year fix so we really wont see when the seasons over we can in two mayb three years if you feel liek it

Scotty D
05-18-2007, 08:06 PM
And I don't think there was anything we could have done this off-season that would have changed the outlook for the next couple of years. If you think otherwise please tell us what you would have done.

dreadedluck
05-18-2007, 08:53 PM
First things first guys, No one is saying the Lions are good, or even average. I have consistently stated the problems with the Lions O in my opinion. After all this thread was started because everyone is saying how good are O is.

Again I will say our team in two years or so will be rebuilding, including the offense, I do believe i stated that earlier on this thread, you must have overlooked that.

The worst thing we did is take CJ, this is only going to cause Roy Williams to leave because the Lions will not be able to pay him, and just as Alvin Harper, Williams will look to be a number 1 guy. So while CJ looks so good right now, and he does, we only have the two of these guys together for a couple of years. Add to that Kitna, who is terrible and ancient in two years we will rely on a 2nd round QB in a weak draft, for our future. Even more bad news Martz as soon as he gets a chance will bolt for a HC job. In two years we will be re-rebuilding, and of course our D is so bad the next drafts should be orientated to the D. You want more problems our cap is shot. The only bright spot in two years will be CJ, so we are trying to build a team around a WR.

Even by a long miracle if Stanton is good, or even another bridge QB, his first year will not be a great one, especially with the same cast of characters minus Roy Williams. But hey maybe we will take another WR next year in the first round and start all over.

So we agree the Lions will suck this year, and Im saying they are going to suck for a long long time. We have built this team to fail, time and time again under Millen. Lets be honest when Ford finally fires Millen, the chances of him getting a quality GM is scary. He may make Wayne Fontz not only the GM but also bring him back as HC.

detroit4life
05-18-2007, 11:20 PM
First things first guys, No one is saying the Lions are good, or even average. I have consistently stated the problems with the Lions O in my opinion. After all this thread was started because everyone is saying how good are O is.

Again I will say our team in two years or so will be rebuilding, including the offense, I do believe i stated that earlier on this thread, you must have overlooked that.

The worst thing we did is take CJ, this is only going to cause Roy Williams to leave because the Lions will not be able to pay him, and just as Alvin Harper, Williams will look to be a number 1 guy. So while CJ looks so good right now, and he does, we only have the two of these guys together for a couple of years. Add to that Kitna, who is terrible and ancient in two years we will rely on a 2nd round QB in a weak draft, for our future. Even more bad news Martz as soon as he gets a chance will bolt for a HC job. In two years we will be re-rebuilding, and of course our D is so bad the next drafts should be orientated to the D. You want more problems our cap is shot. The only bright spot in two years will be CJ, so we are trying to build a team around a WR.

Even by a long miracle if Stanton is good, or even another bridge QB, his first year will not be a great one, especially with the same cast of characters minus Roy Williams. But hey maybe we will take another WR next year in the first round and start all over.

So we agree the Lions will suck this year, and Im saying they are going to suck for a long long time. We have built this team to fail, time and time again under Millen. Lets be honest when Ford finally fires Millen, the chances of him getting a quality GM is scary. He may make Wayne Fontz not only the GM but also bring him back as HC.

we probably would have lost roy anyways. CJ may actually help him stay because haing CJ across from him will help him immensly. HE would have left most lekely for a team in texas or close to texas with out CJ we can offer him close to or #1 money if we feel the need to keep him but without CJ he probably would have been gone anyway. This O is not rebuilding they have already rebuilt and are set Oline may have to be added here and there but our O is at a place where we can turn to defense and adress only that

Mythos
05-18-2007, 11:31 PM
And I don't think there was anything we could have done this off-season that would have changed the outlook for the next couple of years. If you think otherwise please tell us what you would have done.

Gee, I'm gonna hold off on my vote for exec. of the year.
Biggest problem on offense: an o-line that gives up 63 sacks (2nd most) and paves the way for the lowest yd/game rushing attack. The fix: 3 cast-offs and a 4th rounder and fire a highly regarded o-line coach.

Biggest problem on defense: lack of pass rush from the DEs. The fix: swap a 5-sack veteran for a 5-sack veteran.

I'd be suprised if I couldn't think up 50 better scenarios. But Millen is clearly the smartest guy in the room so who am I to question him.

Here's 1 of 50,
Ditch the WR-as-messiah team building strategy. I think he's been listening to the NBA talking heads and hearing 2 great players=championship. Football doesn't work that way.
1) trade w/ Denver
2) trade w/ Cleveland

draft Woodley (34), Blalcok (36), J. Wilson (53), G. Alexander (66), D. Hughes (85).
+ 3 first round picks next year (Det, Cle, Den) QB, DE, MLB/RT

dreadedluck
05-18-2007, 11:46 PM
I'll stick with reality, D4L

detroit4life
05-19-2007, 12:02 AM
I'll stick with reality, D4L

and how am i not its reality with or with out CJ Roy would have left this team i mean i guess you make sense

Jagonsucker
09-17-2007, 09:55 AM
i hate to say i told you so but...here we are..I TOLD YA SO

Scotty D
09-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Its almost like we don't need a running game. Just go 4 wide every play. Infact thats what they did the first drive and moved it down the field. We just have a problem scoring TDs in the Red Zone.

Notredameleo
09-17-2007, 10:20 AM
I cant say that im mad at you for being right sir.

TacticaLion
09-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Its almost like we don't need a running game. Just go 4 wide every play. Infact thats what they did the first drive and moved it down the field. We just have a problem scoring TDs in the Red Zone.

That's the truth. We throw in the occasional run because, if they're preparing for the 4 wide, we might be able to break something. Other than that, with Kitna running this offense, we only need 4 WRs. If the WRs are covered, he can just hit the RB for a short gain.

I love watching Kitna run the offense. We've jut gotta work on our red zone offense (or just throw it up to CJ81 like JTOS did).

Either way, the offense is looking great.