PDA

View Full Version : Hicks Released

eazyb81
05-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Chiefs release Hicks
The Kansas City Star
Defensive end Eric Hicks, who has spent his entire career in Kansas City, was released by the Chiefs on Tuesday.

Hicks ranks fifth in Chiefs history with 44.5 career sacks, but he was strictly a reserve in 2006 after starting most games since 1999. He signed a rookie free-agent contract with the Chiefs in 1998 out of Maryland.

The release wasn’t unexpected considering that Hicks was eating up a large chunk of the Chiefs’ salary cap even though his days as a starter are over. He was due to make $4,450,000 this season.

BPhilb
05-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Chiefs release Hicks
The Kansas City Star
Defensive end Eric Hicks, who has spent his entire career in Kansas City, was released by the Chiefs on Tuesday.

Hicks ranks fifth in Chiefs history with 44.5 career sacks, but he was strictly a reserve in 2006 after starting most games since 1999. He signed a rookie free-agent contract with the Chiefs in 1998 out of Maryland.

The release wasn’t unexpected considering that Hicks was eating up a large chunk of the Chiefs’ salary cap even though his days as a starter are over. He was due to make $4,450,000 this season.

No suprise here. One really good year for us and a fair amount of average one's. He seemed to be a good guy and liked the community. I hope he does well in whatever he does next.

Splat
05-01-2007, 11:19 AM
I know we will take a cap hit but it was time to move on and get younger.

T-RICH49
05-01-2007, 11:44 AM
EH was a guy you have to admire.Not the most gifted but played his butt off every game and took the brunt of the heat during theyears when the D was not good.It's time to move on but thank you EH for you solid contributions to KC on and off the field during your career

Splat
05-01-2007, 02:37 PM
I can't believe we just got a draft pick from TB for Ryan Sims even if it is a 7th rounder we got the better end of the deal. This is what they said about Sims on there site to sell the fans "As a pass-rusher, he anticipates the snap well and can collapse the pocket with a variety of power moves, showing burst to the ball carrier once in the open." LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

villagewarrior
05-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Wait, we got rid of Hicks and Sims? Impressive. Although I must say that Hicks being released is kind of surprising with Allen's status up in the air. For the first four games that gives us McBride, Hali, and Wilkerson at end, unless I'm forgetting somebody. I wouldn't be surprised if Hicks returned at a cheaper price.

Hermstheman83
05-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Wow, that's like the herschel walker deal for Ryan Sims...I am surprised CP and Herm didn't accept a beer and some waffle fries for him...that'd be a good idea based on his production.

Where do you guys' see this? Any thing that we are doing for CB?

eazyb81
05-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Wait, we got rid of Hicks and Sims? Impressive. Although I must say that Hicks being released is kind of surprising with Allen's status up in the air. For the first four games that gives us McBride, Hali, and Wilkerson at end, unless I'm forgetting somebody. I wouldn't be surprised if Hicks returned at a cheaper price.

Wasn't it announced before the draft that he was suspended for 4 games?

Splat
05-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Wow, that's like the herschel walker deal for Ryan Sims...I am surprised CP and Herm didn't accept a beer and some waffle fries for him...that'd be a good idea based on his production.

Where do you guys' see this? Any thing that we are doing for CB?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-simstraded&prov=ap&type=lgns

AlbertLewis
05-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Thank you Eric! good luck in what ever you do.

USAF Chief
05-01-2007, 05:40 PM
I have to say that I am fairly impressed with the herm edwards regime thus far. He has made some improvements to this team and at least attempted to correct some of the weaker areas of the team and he will continue to only improve this team and infuse it with young talent.

The people who cry and whine about the fact that we didn't correct every single problem area on the team in the second year of Herm's career here in KC disgust me. I think we made good moves on draft day to make this team better.

I am of the camp that says we should get rid of LJ, Green, and Wesley and start fresh but many people disagree with me. I just think that not only are these guys going to command HUGE contracts (Johnson) and whine about not being traded to the fish (Green) and be a poor preformer on the football field when it comes to taking plays off and not having good instincts (Wesley). The question then becomes can we get a ridiculous number of draft picks for them? Probably not. LJ maybe a first rounder and a 3rd/4th but other than that your talking second day picks.

Despite my rambling, I think Herm is taking this team in the direction that it needs to go, period.

Splat
05-01-2007, 05:58 PM
I have to say that I am fairly impressed with the herm edwards regime thus far. He has made some improvements to this team and at least attempted to correct some of the weaker areas of the team and he will continue to only improve this team and infuse it with young talent.

The people who cry and whine about the fact that we didn't correct every single problem area on the team in the second year of Herm's career here in KC disgust me. I think we made good moves on draft day to make this team better.

I am of the camp that says we should get rid of LJ, Green, and Wesley and start fresh but many people disagree with me. I just think that not only are these guys going to command HUGE contracts (Johnson) and whine about not being traded to the fish (Green) and be a poor preformer on the football field when it comes to taking plays off and not having good instincts (Wesley). The question then becomes can we get a ridiculous number of draft picks for them? Probably not. LJ maybe a first rounder and a 3rd/4th but other than that your talking second day picks.

Despite my rambling, I think Herm is taking this team in the direction that it needs to go, period.

I agree with everything you said other then trade LJ other then that nice post.

BPhilb
05-01-2007, 09:16 PM
I agree with everything you said other then trade LJ other then that nice post.

And I agree with everything that Splat said. If we trade LJ our hope is that we can get a draft choice and find a guy that can run for 1,700+ yards a season. Those guys aren't easy to fine. I am somewhat disappointed that we didn't fill more holes through the draft, but we all knew going in that we couldn't fix all of them. The offseason isn't over either as we will see what we can get through the remaining free agency periods as we head into training camp. All things said the direction of this team is exciting and in a coupld of seasons hopefully we can get back into the mold of expecting to have a chance to win a Super Bowl.

villagewarrior
05-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Wasn't it announced before the draft that he was suspended for 4 games?

Actually, I was intending to refer to his suspension, but I didn't clarify it well enough. There must be another end that the FO is high on, because while Allen is out we will have Hali, Wilkerson, and McBride. Hopefully Hali will play well again, although a sophomore slump is not out of the question. Furthermore, Wilkerson has failed to make an impact consistently when given an opportunity, which is extremely frustrating because if he puts it together he will be a player. And obviously McBride doesn't have any pro experience (or much college experience either for that matter). I just think we may miss Hicks experience during those 4 games Allen is gone (plus, Allen may be gone after this season anyways...).

BPhilb
05-02-2007, 12:13 PM
His 4.4 million dollar cap number is surely the driving reason behind his release. I think we will be fine without him barring injury to one of the three rotation guys. It wouldn't totally suprise me though if he doesn't garner much if any intrest in free agency and doesn't come back at the vetren's minimum.

Hermstheman83
05-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Do you really think Allen will be gone after this season? I think the best situation would be that JA gets his head on straight, racks up like 10+ sacks and CP signs him to a long term deal. I just don't see us leaving JA out to dry like that, especially since we have put so much emphasis on Defense.

Splat
05-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Do you really think Allen will be gone after this season? I think the best situation would be that JA gets his head on straight, racks up like 10+ sacks and CP signs him to a long term deal. I just don't see us leaving JA out to dry like that, especially since we have put so much emphasis on Defense.

That is up to Jared Allen he is/was pretty mad and said this would be his last year if he stays that way the only way we keep him is to slap the tag on him. I would like to see him get his head straight and stay my self I'm a big fan of him on the field but the fun and games off the field need to stop. If your going to go out and get drunk get some one to drive you home that goes for every one not just football players.

BPhilb
05-02-2007, 04:40 PM

I really hope not. I love how the guy plays. I'm wondering though if we haven't gotten into a similar situation as we did with Jon Tait when Peterson upset him enough that he didn't give KC a chance to resign him when his time came up. We do hold the franchise tag though so the leverage is still with us.

villagewarrior
05-02-2007, 06:26 PM
I think there is a very legit chance that JA walks. He always seemed like he was just on the verge of crazytown, but this contract thing really pushed him off the precipice.

USAF Chief
05-02-2007, 09:56 PM
A 4th round pick (Allen) that just so happened to become a good player at DE. Because of his success he will command at the very least a R3 pick, with the potential to get a middle R2 pick. If I could I would trade him tomorrow, because a guy with his head that far gone doesn't deserve to be on a team like the Chiefs.

Having a guy like Allen that is literally one bad night away from a whole year suspension isn't worth the risk IMO. Get what we can and call it a day.

As far as LJ is concerned, I wouldn't be upset to see him stay or see him go. I refer to history when it comes to LJ and refuse to talk about how he is different or that he is special and how we won't win a single game without him. If that is the case then we REALLY need to get rid of him and fix the real problem with the extra draft picks. Football is a TEAM game and games **shouldn't** be won or lost by a single player.

As far as needing to find another 1700 yard rusher I don't necessarily think we need that. We have Gonzo, Bowe, Kennison and hopefully one of the two young guys (Hannon or Webb) work out and prove to be a solid starter. That basically shores up our WR core and with the fact of the matter being that our OL is nowhere near as solid as it used to be I don't think we are in the position to rely solely on a power running game. I think if we found another guy with a tad more starting experience and combined him and Kolby Smith together and did a RBBC (runningback by committee) we'd be fine on offense. I think that having one back is not nearly as troublesome for opposing defenses as having two backs with different skill-sets.

I welcome discussion about my opinions :)

bored of education
05-02-2007, 10:06 PM
God article about Hicks and SIms on the chiefs main site. good article.

Hermstheman83
05-03-2007, 12:23 AM
I like the RBBC, but only if LJ is in that situation. The guy's production will drop, our line isn't the greatest by any stretch of the imagination and history states that it will. But the question is: Is LJ worth the money he wants? I'm not sure, but since we do have Power running game herm edwards, I don't see us getting rid of easily the #2 back in the league, I mean, with all the improvements we've made, why throw away the guy who got our offense to be mediocore? I am leaning to what you guys' are saying about JA, if we get something more than we drafted for him...that's deal in itself.

villagewarrior
05-03-2007, 09:47 AM
I think it's too late to trade LJ now. If it were to happen it should have happened before the draft. Trading him now would put the impetus squarely on Bennett and the rookie, there won't be any veteran options available at this point in time.