PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Report on Laurent Robinson

Shiver
05-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Wide receiver Laurent Robinson, from Illinois State, is a speedy, sure-handed player who could move into the No. 3 or No. 4 slot. At 6-2, 199, Robinson provides Atlanta someone who can stretch the field. He is a long strider and might have some difficulty getting off the line in press coverage but if he can make the adjustment, he could big a big-play threat who also could open up the middle of the field for tight end Alge Crumpler.

There is no guarantee that veteran Brian Finneran will be at full strength after missing all of last season following knee surgery. Joe Horn also has been bothered by injuries the past two seasons so Robinson could be a huge factor in Petrino's wide open passing attack.

There was a huge contingent that lobbied hard for Robinson so he was not drafted to sit the bench. Wide receivers coach Paul Petrino lobbied hard to get this sure handed speedster.

Good info, apparently the new staff love this kid.

scar988
05-01-2007, 01:54 PM
that;'s good. we now have a #$ and once Horn is gone a #3. IMO Roddy and Jenkins are our starters.

iloxygenil
05-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Jenkins and Horn are our starters Roddy is our #4

ATLDirtyBirds
05-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Jenkins and Horn are our starters Roddy is our #4

My vote goes to that.

Shiver
05-02-2007, 01:59 AM
If I am Roddy White, I would be very worried.

D-Rod
05-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Which is, I am sure, the idea - to keep him on his feet. Fear can be a great motivator.

Still, I think that Roddy will be #3. Neither Jenks, Horn or Finn are particularly speedy, so you're unlikely to see only those three on the field together. We need White's pace. Of course, it's possible that Robinson has an amazing preseason, and vaults into 3rd...

If we have two WRs, it will be Jenks and Horn.
If we have three WRs, it will be Jenks, Horn and White.
Finn and Robinson will compete to be fourth and fifth (I think the staff are genuinely worried about how Finn will be, since he was slow even before the knee injury).
Jennings will be sixth.

Shiver
05-02-2007, 07:08 PM
I think Robinson ends up being the #3, actually. New coaching staffs' tend to use 'their guys.' In this case; Robinson is a lot like White, talent wise, and the coaching staff was in love with him. They liked him so much they passed on Michael Bush for him! Apparently Paul Petrino was the one most in Laurent Robinson's corner. That should tell you how much they like this kid.

D-Rod
05-03-2007, 02:21 AM
Yeah, it's certainly possible. As i said, it will depend on TC...

Shiver
05-03-2007, 02:35 AM
Well, right now he is #5 on the depth chart. But I think that is preliminary. A lot of things on the "official" one are seemingly not accurate. Such as Chris Houston being buried on the depth chart, Jimmy Williams behind Chris Crocker, for example.

Shiver
05-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Atlanta Falcons 3rd round selection Laurent Robinson WR out of Illinois State is being compared to Cincinnati Bengals WR TJ Houshmandzadeh. Falcons Offensive Coordinator Hue Jackson coveted this guy during last weekend draft. Jackson had Robinson high among his draft board. After landing Robinson in the 3rd Jackson was quoted saying "I see similarity between this kid Robinson and a receiver I used to coach in Cincinnati WR TJ Houshmandzadeh".

This is exciting. In Hue Jackson I trust.

Shiver
05-07-2007, 04:00 PM
From AJC

After two years, it’s time for the gifted White to show if he’s going to emerge as a reliable NFL receiver. Because of dropped passes, he has been unable to hold on to a starting job. The addition of Joe Horn seemingly has moved him to the No. 3 spot, behind Horn and Michael Jenkins.

The Falcons also drafted Laurent Robinson out of Illinois State in the third round. The move could have been made as insurance in case veteran Brian Finneran isn’t fully healed from torn knee ligaments that kept him from playing all last season. Even so, Robinson could be a threat to move into the top-three rotation if White doesn’t overcome the inconsistency that has limited him from prospering.

This corroborates my previously made thought. That Robinson may very well beat out Roddy White.

ATLDirtyBirds
05-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Good. Laurent's a G

Shiver
05-07-2007, 07:38 PM
The more I read about him, the more excited I am. He was beloved by Hue Jackson, and Paul Petrino. So much so that they convinced them to pass on Michael Bush for him.

ricky bobby
05-07-2007, 07:43 PM
I wanted Laurent Robinson on the Giants, along with Chris Houston. You guys had a very nice draft.