PDA

View Full Version : Keyshawn CUT??!!!???

MURPHMAN
05-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Hearing rumors everywhere that Keyshawn just got cut by the Panthers. Dan Patrick just mentioned in on ESPN radio.

What the?

ChefMike
05-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Hearing rumors everywhere that Keyshawn just got cut by the Panthers. Dan Patrick just mentioned in on ESPN radio.

What the?
Searched high and low for that rumor and cant find any source anywhere that can confirm or deny.... but everywhere I read nothing is even being talked about so I wouldnt worry.

DoWnThEfiElD
05-01-2007, 02:11 PM
http://www.charlotte.com/209/story/105900.html

simmy1989
05-01-2007, 02:15 PM
i'm a huge keyshawn fan and I can't find many sources behind this so hopefully it's not true because I was really looking forward to the upcoming season with Carolina but if not then I will have a new favorite team and I wish the Panthers all the luck in the world, unless they play keyshawn this year, lol, I will be pissed though if this is ture

PortlandPanther
05-01-2007, 02:20 PM
yeah, its true, i JUST saw it scroll along the bottom of the ticker on NFL network. dang, i was really hoping they'd keep him one year to help groom dwayne jarrett.

JPF
05-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Wow, lol, on Saturday he was so ecstatic about getting a chance to train him.

pantherfreak
05-01-2007, 05:16 PM
I have no words. Welcome to the starting lineup, Dwayne Jarrett.

FirstAndGoal
05-01-2007, 05:57 PM
It doesn't make sense. Keyshawn said the Panthers told him that they wanted to get younger, but we have the team to win now, and no matter how good Jarrett will be in the future, Key will be better next year. Plus, Keyshawn would have been able to teach Jarrett the nuances of the game and make him into a better player. This was a stupid move by the Panthers.

pantherfreak
05-02-2007, 07:41 AM
I'm still waiting for Keary Colbert to be cut.

pantherfreak
05-02-2007, 07:44 AM
OK, so offense?

QB Jake Delhomme
RB DeAngelo Williams
WR Dwayne Jarrett
TE Jeff King
LT Travelle Wharton
LG Mike Wahle
C Ryan Khalil
RG Jeremy Bridges
RT Jordan Gross
WR Steve Smith

d-dave
05-02-2007, 08:38 AM
You have to look at things in the long term, and think about what Key brought to the team. After reading all of Hurney's stuff, and some of the Charlotte beatwriters, I think it will end up being a good decision.

Steve Smith will be just as good a tutor as Key will be. Don't forget, Richard Williamson is a very underrated WR coach.

JPF
05-02-2007, 10:07 AM
After having thought about it a little more, I'm really fine with this.

The only thing that will really change my mind is that after we release Key talking about it being a youth movement will be if Diggs starts a single game this season over Beason and/or Anderson.

I realize Diggs is only 28 himself, but if we're cutting Keyshawn to get our younger players more time on the field the same logic holds true to Diggs. We re-signed him this year basically because Anderson didn't have that much experience. So then if Diggs gets the majority of snaps again this year...do we re-sign Diggs to yet another one year deal because Anderson still doesn't have that much playing time under his belt?

SchizophrenicBatman
05-02-2007, 01:02 PM
This is a dumb move but it will only hurt us a little more than cutting Buckner did last year. Key provided a good amount of production but Smitty can carry the brunt of it anyway. We'll miss his run blocking more than anything IMO

just wish there was still a way for Colbert to get cut

JustJoe2k5
05-02-2007, 02:59 PM
It's funny, out of the 90 players currently listed on our roster page only eight are 30-years-old or older. That includes our kicker, long-snapper, and three players who just hit 30. We certainly aren't an old team and definitely not one that's in need of a "youth movement." I would have to believe there was a little more to this Keyshawn's release.

If it is some type of youth movement here's a quick breakdown of each of our 30+ year old players:

QB - Jake Delhomme
FB - Brad Hoover
K - John Kasay
LB/LS - Jason Kyle
LB - Terrence Melton
S - Mike Minter
DE - Mike Rucker
G - Mike Wahle

Now a look at some of our free agency and draft additions:

QB - David Carr
FB/TE - Dante Rosario
K - Andrew Wellock
LB - Jon Beason
LB - Tim Shaw
S - C.J. Wilson
DE - Charles Johnson
Potential LS - Ryan Kalil

Every older player now has a replacement on the roster, next year could be interesting.

ShutDwn
05-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Keyshawn didn't do that much.

This is a new offense, that means everyone is being re-evaluated and Colbert gets a new slate.

We have a different offense now people, one that hopefully will actually use players correctly.

JustJoe2k5
05-02-2007, 03:05 PM

This is a new offense, that means everyone is being re-evaluated and Colbert gets a new slate.

We have a different offense now people, one that hopefully will actually use players correctly.

I hope you're right, I think if Dante Rosario is used correctly he could be a dangerous down-the-field weapon from either the tight end or fullback position.

SchizophrenicBatman
05-02-2007, 03:32 PM

If Keary "Benched for Taye Biddle" Colbert gets a clean slate I dont see why Keyshawn couldnt. Cut all the scrubs who were problems last year, and Colbert was definetly one of them

ShutDwn
05-02-2007, 04:02 PM
If Keary "Benched for Taye Biddle" Colbert gets a clean slate I dont see why Keyshawn couldnt. Cut all the scrubs who were problems last year, and Colbert was definetly one of them

Because we brought in a guy who was supposed to help, because it wasn't the offensive style that was wrong. It didn't work, and now we have changed the style.

That said, the offensive coordinator got to re-evaluate all the players and decide how he can use them. That coupled with the drafting of Jarrett, made the team feel that they could move on without having to pay him that bonus.

Colbert never made excuses for anything, and was always a team guy. Keyshawn however if you read wouldn't take the blame when asked too. Did he have to? No, but it would have been the right thing to do on two levels. One, help the team overall, and two it would have helped his image tremendously.

Stop acting like Keyshawn is the number one receiver on this team. We win with Smith, not with him.

JPF
05-02-2007, 04:37 PM
If it is some type of youth movement here's a quick breakdown of each of our 30+ year old players:

QB - Jake Delhomme
FB - Brad Hoover
K - John Kasay
LB/LS - Jason Kyle
LB - Terrence Melton
S - Mike Minter
DE - Mike Rucker
G - Mike Wahle

An interesting note of those players over 30:

3 have contracts that expire after this year (Hoover, Rucker, and Melton)

Kasay & Kyle's both expire the following year

Minter has already announced his intentions to retire following this year

Wahle and Jake are the only two signed beyond 2008, and their deals expire after the 2009 season (Minter is signed through 2009 but has announced retirement plans).

JustJoe2k5
05-02-2007, 05:23 PM
I'd expect all three (Hoover, Rucker, and Melton) to be out by next year. Although, I would like to see Davidson give Hoover more opportunities to carry the football this season. I always thought that was one of Henning's biggest mistakes throughout his time here.

FirstAndGoal
05-02-2007, 05:23 PM
So who is our starting RB next season? I vote DeAngelo, but I figure the coaching staff will go with DeShaun to be loyal.

FirstAndGoal
05-02-2007, 05:28 PM
oops wrong thread oh well.

SchizophrenicBatman
05-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Because we brought in a guy who was supposed to help, because it wasn't the offensive style that was wrong. It didn't work, and now we have changed the style.

That said, the offensive coordinator got to re-evaluate all the players and decide how he can use them. That coupled with the drafting of Jarrett, made the team feel that they could move on without having to pay him that bonus.

Colbert never made excuses for anything, and was always a team guy. Keyshawn however if you read wouldn't take the blame when asked too. Did he have to? No, but it would have been the right thing to do on two levels. One, help the team overall, and two it would have helped his image tremendously.

Stop acting like Keyshawn is the number one receiver on this team. We win with Smith, not with him.

I'm indifferent to cutting Keyshawn. I don't think we get any better by getting rid of him, but it doesn't make us much worse either. In a hypothetical situation where you could throw 20 passes, 13 to Smitty, 7 to Key or 17 to Smitty, 3 to some random scrub I'd take the 17 to Smitty scenario any day. That said, I'd rather that scrub be someone who sucks and cares than someone who sucks and doesn't care. Keary may not have blamed anyone but he moped around and looked like a lazy mother ****er last season. At least Key gave 100% in games.

If he gets a clean slate he better prove in training camp that it was worth it. This isn't an Eric Shelton situation where he was in Henning's doghouse from day 1. He broke out in Henning's offense his rookie year, regressed his sophomore, then sat on his ass all of last year. I can see how the Weis offense benefits his playstyle a little better, but he caught FIVE PASSES last year. That's a lot of improvement to be made regardless if he's playing on the Colts or the Texans. If he can do it, then great. I just don't like the idea of handing him a roster spot before camp. Why couldn't we go into TC with Keyshawn and have Drew Carter + Keary think they were fighting it out for a job? Then, if they both show something, cut Key. The $1 million we would have given to Johnson for reporting to TC would have been worth it

We brought Keyshawn in to help take pressure of Smitty, get 3rd downs, get us to the Super Bowl, right? So it didn't happen. It wasn't Keyshawn's fault if that's what you were saying, but he didn't help matters much either I'll agree.

What did we use a 2nd round pick on Keary Colbert for? To warm the bench?

ShutDwn
05-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Did you see how Colbert was playing in the preseason compared to the regular season? He was great, the offense was great. Then, the regular season came and we sucked.

That tells me one specific thing. We all know teams don't gameplan for the preseason, which to me says that when teams gameplanned, they knew what we were doing. They knew how to stop Colbert and the offense. We couldn't rely on pure talent anymore.

Why do you think teams like the Jets make the playoffs after being horrible the previous year? Game planning. Everyone in this league has talent, it is smarts that win this game. We have been wasting our time in that bull **** offense try to just "out talent" everyone. We can't, because not everyone on the team is as good as Smith.

Scrubs or not, they can be good players. Take a look at what coaching tree Davidson comes from, Weis offenses take mediocre players and put them in positions to be perfectly fine for the position. Look at the Patriots last year, seriously, Caldwell, Troy Brown and Gaffney? Yet they were still a very efficient offense. Granted they have Brady, but we have Smith.

There is no reason to say that Colbert cannot be a guy like the above mentioned.

SchizophrenicBatman
05-04-2007, 12:53 AM
Why do you think teams like the Jets make the playoffs after being horrible the previous year?

Their schedule, I called that one last year. Same way I called us going 7-9 after we started out 1-5 three years ago, the back end of the schedule was easy as hell, it was just too late to matter. You're right, every team in the NFL is talented of course some teams are slightly better equipped than others, key on slightly. If your team's coaching doesn't stay sharp you're ****ed no matter who you play (see: us, last year) but sometimes if you got the right schedule you can afford to give away a couple games.

Adam Seward looks like the second coming of Urlacher every pre-season, more goes on there than just talent vs talent. Sometimes it's talent vs guys who don't make an NFL roster. And if NFL teams figured out Colbert, it's partly on him to figure out how to fix it. Is it the coaches job too? Yes, and Henning got fired for sucking at it. But Colbert collected paychecks for doing nothing too and he should be held accountable.

The Patriots offense that made all those horrible players just went out and acquired 6000 WRs this offseason. That coaching tree can do wonders with mediocre players (and Tom Brady, who I might add, we don't have) but that doesn't mean you settle for mediocrity. Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney got them to the AFC championship. Deion Branch and David Givens (not great players by any stretch of the imagination either) got them Super Bowls. Keary's upside probably is Branch now that I think about it, but that was after his rookie year when he actually looked like he could play in the NFL

Keyshawn pissed some people off. Keary gave up on the team. I can understand not cutting either and starting off with a clean slate. I can't understand cutting one (specifically, the one who did something) and not the other. For what it's worth, I wouldnt have cut either before TC though obviously Keary would have an uphill battle to make the team in that situation. Of course, I don't know exactly why Key was cut

chcwarriorpoet
07-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Sorry to troll, not a Carolina fan, but I'm curious of Panther fan reaction to Key getting cut.

I think the Panthers cut Keyshawn because Jarrett has more potential this season to be a threat in the passing game. The front office realized what three other teams realized previously: Keyshawn was extremely overrated. If he was so great Parcells wouldn't have traded him once and cut him another time. He hated Gruden despite the fact that he just won a super bowl, signed an extension, caught 80 balls, and was making 5 mill a season. Except for malcontents like TO and Moss elite receivers aren't journeymen. Smitty, Harrison, Ward, Holt none of them are ever available. Keyshawn's best attribute was his blocking, but in the receiving game he has never been a dominator. Obviously he didn't form the tandem with Smitty that Moose did.
I think the Panthers offense is much more dangerous with Jarrett running patterns than Keyshawn. But then again you guys may know better...

JustJoe2k5
07-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Apparently, Keyshawn Johnson was more of a force in the locker room than any Panther would let the media know. After he was cut, it came out that alot of players didn't like that he talked to the media as much as he did. On the field, he brought everything to the table that was expected of him. Although, he did have a couple of costly drops that certainly didn't help his cause. With Drew Carter, Dwayne Jarrett, Keary Colbert, Ryne Robinson, etc. The Panthers felt they had enough young talent to off-set the production of Keyshawn. I agree to an extent, but you wouldn't mind that sort of veteran presence around.

Dwayne Jarrett has the potential to be every bit of the player Keyshawn Johnson was. It will be on his shoulders to live up to that potential.

JustJoe2k5
07-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Double Post.