PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Baldwin LB NFL scouting report

lionsfan81
05-01-2007, 07:19 PM
I saw today that nfl.com put up a scouting report on johnny baldwin today, and i gotta say i am kind of excited to see what this guy can do. I think he just might be the steal of our draft.

A ferocious tackler, Baldwin has been a terror for the Bulldogs since taking over inside linebacker duties three seasons ago, leading the team in tackles in each of those three years. While he displays impressive strength, he also has the quickness to drop back and cover in the passing game. (Sounds like the ideal Cover 2 MLB to me)

Positives: Has a lean, well-defined frame with long legs and thick thighs Quickly digests the plays, making instant decisions toward the ball Shows proper hand placement to prevent blockers from attacking his feet Moves well down the line, showing a good short-area burst to close Stays low in his pads, extending his arms to wrap and secure the ball carrier Makes quick turns out of his backpedal and mirrors the tight end, doing a nice job of pressing the opponent at the line Uses his rip-and-swim moves with force Has great power for his lanky frame, setting a position lifting record for linebackers Explosive hitter who closes incredibly quick in pursuit Effective blitzer who backpedals smoothly in pass coverage Does a nice job using his hands to avoid low blocks Has the balance and re-direction skills to flash into the plays Good knee bender with a fluid change of direction.

Negatives: Gets out of control at times, trying to out-muscle blockers rather than slide off blocks While he is effective in pass coverage, he seems to gather himself a bit before heading up field Needs to add some bulk to his frame to prevent punishment when trying to get through the inside trash Seems to work better in space rather than up at the line and could be better suited for the outside Can get off the edge on the blitz, but does not always locate the ball when in the backfield Tends to lean into blockers rather than delivering a strong hand jolt in attempts to penetrate, despite his obvious strength.

Compares To: James Farrior, Pittsburgh Steelers Baldwin has a good blend of speed and strength, but lacks ideal size He might be a better fit for weak-side linebacker due to his range and closing burst, or, he could be a capable inside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme It is evident that he knows how to tackle and his leaping ability and timing as a kick blocker is an added bonus for special teams.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/baldwin_johnny

asmitty45
05-01-2007, 08:17 PM
sounds like a solid fit, i trust that if they reached for this guy in the 5th he's got to be a solid fit.

TacticaLion
05-01-2007, 08:58 PM
I've heard great things about him, Gerald Alexander, Ikaika Alabama-Francis and AJ Davis... each from different sources. It seems that both Francis and Alexander wouldn't make it out of the 2nd round and that Davis is extremely talented and is a good fit for the Cover 2.

I'm impressed with the picks.

Mythos
05-01-2007, 09:20 PM
I've heard great things about him, Gerald Alexander, Ikaika Alabama-Francis and AJ Davis... each from different sources. It seems that both Francis and Alexander wouldn't make it out of the 2nd round and that Davis is extremely talented and is a good fit for the Cover 2.

I'm impressed with the picks.

The Davis pick is a good value and fits a need, but I don't think he's a fit for a cover-2 corner. I see him as our nickel corner. NC state plays about 95% press man. The touchdown stat is obnoxious, but it's skewed by having Mario and Lawson last year and the fact that Hudson took the other teams #1 last year. I tried to paste a pic I took of a QB getting killed, btu I can't insert an image. I think he was out w/ a hamstring when CJ came to town and went off. I really wanted Josh Wilson from Maryland. I thought he moved better w/ recievers w/o mugging them as much. He went really high though. Anybody would be an upgrade over McGraw from last year.

reinar
05-02-2007, 01:53 AM
so how many of our 8 draft picks, can we expect to start, see playing time this year, or even make the team?

WMD
05-02-2007, 02:10 AM
Calvin should start.. Ikaika and Gerald Alexander will probably be decided in Training Camp.. I think a surprise would be Baldwin starting at some point this season at MLB.. I love Manuel Ramirez but I don't think they'll want to play a Rookie on the O-line unless they're forced to. The CB's will probably get situational playing time.. I think Stanton is going to br 3rd on the Depth Chart, so he probably won't see any playing time this year. I can see all of our picks contributing one way or another this season..

reinar
05-02-2007, 02:38 AM
okie dokei then, thanks - :)

Im ready for a kitna 5000 yd season, CJ, Williams 1k seasons, Furry/mcdonald to have 1500 together, and Bell 1k as well

if our O can put drives together and actually stick it in the endzone, i think our D will be much better off.

Go Blue
05-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Since Drew is 3rd on the depth chart think we will see him on Special Teams?? lol

P-L
05-02-2007, 10:06 AM
I think that Calvin is the only sure starter this year, maybe Gerald Alexander towards the end of the year. However, I think Stanton, Alma-Francis, Ramirez, and Davis are all potential future starters.

Newbs24
05-02-2007, 10:49 AM
I am gonna have to go the route that CJ21 is the only guy that will see a good amount of PT this year. I also don't see any of the other draft picks doing a thing for this franchise. I hated this draft. Next years draft should be able to bring us a Top Tier S or MLB for our D. I hope Kenny Phillips and Rey Mauluga come out. Those are 2 guys I would love to have on this D.