PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best RB of this group?

nfrillman
05-01-2007, 07:41 PM
There is a bit of a debate going on and I was wondering if you guys could help us out and vote on this.

Ho0k Em'
05-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Jackson
McAllister
Bush
James
Taylor

At this point in their career IMO.

Space Ghost
I'd take Jackson for sure, after him I'd probably take Fred Taylor if he could give me 16 un-injured games.

lionsfan81
Steven Jackson

Im_a_Romosexual
05-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Reggie Bush is the total opposite of the other guys listed...

JK17
05-01-2007, 07:53 PM
That's not a debate. Steven Jackson is one of the best Running backs in the league (Second best IMO). The other guys don't have a legitimate place in that discussion if he's in it.

Ho0k Em'
05-01-2007, 07:55 PM
That's not a debate. Steven Jackson is one of the best Running backs in the league (Second best IMO). The other guys don't have a legitimate place in that discussion if he's in it.

You think Steven Jackson in better than LJ???

benroethlisberger
05-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Fred Taylor #5
Reggie Bush #4
Deuce McAllister #3
Steven Jackson #1
Edgerrin James #2

Here's how I rate them in order.

bored of education
05-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Jackson is the 3rdbest Rb in the NFL.

nfrillman
05-01-2007, 07:59 PM

Well that is my opinion that he is top 3 and top 5 without a doubt, but this guy in the Rams Team Board listed those guys along with LT, LJ, Gore, Alexander, and Portis which are at least debatable as better than Jackson. I told him if he wanted to be taken seriously he had better not be saying Edge, Deuce, Bush, or Taylor are better than Jackson, so I decided to prove it to him with this poll.

JK17
05-01-2007, 08:00 PM
You think Steven Jackson in better than LJ???

Yes. LJ is overrated (Edit: bad word choice, I don't mean he isn't good), that comes with a bias partly as a Charger fan but also based on the system he is, getting 30+ carries a game. A lot of his numbers his breakout year were inflated because of that dominant O-Line and people wouldn't plan for him. I know numbers don't tell a whole story but look at their numbers if you want (they don't indicate that SJ or LJ is better, just that they are close in numbers, with a slight overall edge to SJ).

Jackson had 348 carries for 1528 yards and 13 TDs, as well as 90 catches for 806 yards and 3 TDs.

Johnson had 413 carries for 1789 yrds and 17 TDs, as well as 41 catches for 410 yards and 2 TDs.

They have similar YPC (4.4 to 4.3 with Jackson being the better). When you take into account total yardage Jackson also has the edge and is a much more signifcant threat and multi-talented RB.

Now that being said I know its not clear cut and those guys are 2-3 probably in the league, its just my personal preference of SJ over LJ.

bored of education
05-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Larry had 10 yrds per reception. was it hisfault he wasnt utilized in thepassinggame as much?

But The armadillo is the 3rd best and might leap frog Johnson this year.

ElectricEye
05-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Jackson. The dudes an absolute beast. I wouldn't put James behind a good line all that far behind.

JK17
05-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Larry had 10 yrds per reception. was it hisfault he wasnt utilized in thepassinggame as much?

Jackson had about 9 if I'm doing the math right, but it could be his fault because he could not be as powerful of a threat as a receiver....
It could aslo be though that the Chiefs would rather use him as a runner, which is why like I said, its so close and its a matter of personal preference with those two guys, and I just like what jackson brings to the table better.

nfrillman
05-01-2007, 08:04 PM

I really don't think that 17 catches is enough of a sampling size to bring up his 10.0 yards per catch. I am of the same opinion as many of you that LJ and SJ are very close for 2nd. Being a Rams fan I'd take Jackson just because LJ is getting so many carries I don't know how long he will last.

Ho0k Em'
05-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Yes. LJ is overrated (Edit: bad word choice, I don't mean he isn't good), that comes with a bias partly as a Charger fan but also based on the system he is, getting 30+ carries a game. A lot of his numbers his breakout year were inflated because of that dominant O-Line and people wouldn't plan for him. I know numbers don't tell a whole story but look at their numbers if you want (they don't indicate that SJ or LJ is better, just that they are close in numbers, with a slight overall edge to SJ).

Jackson had 348 carries for 1528 yards and 13 TDs, as well as 90 catches for 806 yards and 3 TDs.

Johnson had 413 carries for 1789 yrds and 17 TDs, as well as 41 catches for 410 yards and 2 TDs.

They have similar YPC (4.4 to 4.3 with Jackson being the better). When you take into account total yardage Jackson also has the edge and is a much more signifcant threat and multi-talented RB.

Now that being said I know its not clear cut and those guys are 2-3 probably in the league, its just my personal preference of SJ over LJ.

I have a hard time believing you watched the Chiefs this past year if your calling our line dominate. Our line wasn't even solid let alone dominant. Their line is much better than ours. I'll give you that Jackson is a better reciever, but he plays in a system more favorable for RB's recieving out of the backfield. LJ was ALWAYS the focus of other teams. LJ isn't a scrub recieving though. I'm not going to say you opinion is wrong or even far gone, but i just simply don't agree. I'm obviously a bit bias, but most people would agree with me.

Ho0k Em'
05-01-2007, 08:09 PM
I really don't think that 17 catches is enough of a sampling size to bring up his 10.0 yards per catch. I am of the same opinion as many of you that LJ and SJ are very close for 2nd. Being a Rams fan I'd take Jackson just because LJ is getting so many carries I don't know how long he will last.

I probably would too, but right now IMO LJ is the better running back.

JK17
05-01-2007, 08:10 PM
I have a hard time believing you watched the Chiefs this past year if your calling our line dominate. Our line wasn't even solid let alone dominant. Their line is much better than ours. I'll give you that Jackson is a better reciever, but he plays in a system more favorable for RB's recieving out of the backfield. LJ was ALWAYS the focus of other teams. LJ isn't a scrub recieving though. I'm not going to say you opinion is wrong or even far gone, but i just simply don't agree. I'm obviously a bit bias, but most people would agree with me.

I wasn't talking about last year I was talking about LJ's 1750 yard season, in 05 i think it was. And the line was pretty dominant then, and he had the advantage of sneaking up on some teams because Priest Holmes was still the main guy....

I would agree that the line has fallen apart as of late though, and that LJ is still a decent threat out of the backfiled, just a matter of preference with SJ over LJ...and that I'm a Charger fan.

RaiderNation
05-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Steven Jackson for sure

swagger
05-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Steven Jackson.

The Unseen
05-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Jackson
McAllister
Bush
Taylor
James

princefielder28
05-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Steven Jackson is very versatile and has the punishing size to be a dominating force.

swagger
05-01-2007, 08:14 PM
I still think Edge would be a top back if he had the blocking.

Vikes99ej
05-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Stephen Jackson. He is young and extremely productive. He'll be my #1 target this year for Fantasy Football.

Paul
05-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Jackson by a frickin country mile.

bored of education
05-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Jackson by a frickin country mile.

thats 5,280 ft for those sleep peoples from Nebraskota

SaintsMan
05-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Jackson
McAllister
Bush
James
Taylor

I agree with this list.

McNabbFan2009
05-01-2007, 09:11 PM
that is a not even a competition Jackson blow all of the running backs out of the water that u listed.

Moses
05-01-2007, 09:15 PM
I'll go with Jackson but McAllister is close.

cunningham06
05-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Steven Jackson
Deuce McCallister
Fred Taylor
Reggie Bush
Edgerrin James

Ewing
05-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Based on pontential this debate isn't even close as Reggie Bush has more potential than any running back in the past decade.

Based on current prefromance and talent it's easily Stephen Jackson. He was the most underrated player in the NFL last season and puts up great numbers in receiving and running.

bored of education
05-01-2007, 09:27 PM
he did lead the NFL in yards from scrimmage

Ewing
05-01-2007, 09:30 PM
he did lead the NFL in yards from scrimmage

I know and it's amazing nobody even mentioned it in the media. I would like to point out that it was only by like twelve or so.

marks01234
05-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Based on pontential this debate isn't even close as Reggie Bush has more potential than any running back in the past decade.

Based on current prefromance and talent it's easily Stephen Jackson. He was the most underrated player in the NFL last season and puts up great numbers in receiving and running.

I don't know that Bush has that more potential than Steven Jackson. Jackson has amazing combination of size, power, speed, agility and soft hands. Bush certainly has the x-factor potential but he'll never be close to the inside runner Jackson is.

It's really hard to compare Bush to any RBs in the league, besides Briwn Westbrook. However, I'd put them in this order:

Steven Jackson
Deuce McCallister
Fred Taylor
Reggie Bush
Edgerrin James

HawkeyeFan
05-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Reggie Bush.

Ha. Had you going!
http://www.rodmarphoto.com/blog/bsith_steven.jpg

By a landslide.

P-L
05-01-2007, 11:02 PM
This shouldn't be up for debate, Steven Jackson.

Non_Sequitur
05-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Jackson
McAllister
Bush
James
Taylor

Cosign that list. It's a close call between Bush and James though.

fenikz
05-02-2007, 12:07 AM
i had to give edge some love, he is a sleeper, watch out 1500 and 15 tds

Nitschke-Hawk
05-02-2007, 12:09 AM
Stevie Jack

phaiel
05-02-2007, 12:57 AM
honestly everyone knows steven jackson is the best in this list. i do think though that fred taylor doesnt get much respect here. he's a back with some decent bulk on him but he definitely has break away speed which many people dont think he does. it was show last season as he broke many lone runs. also of this list he has the highest career yards per carry at 4.6; the only downside to him is the injuries, but in the past few seasons they haven't bee as severe as early. for me he's #2 for that list. i cant say edge is too great because he was behind an extremely solid passing game for a long time, but then again i cant write him off because he's behind a bad line now. he's definitely a toss up. mcallister is solid, but has never really separated himself from the pack as far as being a game changer, but then again neither has fred taylor, but when it comes down to it i feel fred taylor is a more complete back as he is a better reciever. bush seems isn't a running back or a slot reciever, he's in his own category, but as a pure running back he's not not too good, but then again steven jackson isnt the best pure running back.

steven jackson
fred taylor
deuce mcallister
edgerrin james
reggie bush

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-02-2007, 01:29 AM
I'd take Jackson. he's got speed, power, durability, he can catch, (not sure on blocking but insert here), he can break tackles or run by them......as previously stated, a top notch RB in this league