PDA

View Full Version : Best group of D-backs in the NFL?

Shockey80
05-02-2007, 12:52 AM
I think it might be the Redskins

Landry/Taylor at the safetys, Dave Macklin, Fred Smoot, and Carlos Rogers at CB

but its definitly close. what team do you think?

McBain
05-02-2007, 12:58 AM
I think it might be the Redskins

Landry/Taylor at the safetys, Dave Macklin, Fred Smoot, and Carlos Rogers at CB

but its definitly close. what team do you think?

hopefully our d-line will step-up big time this year otherwise having the worlds greatest secondary won't matter. With that said, i think Andre Carter will surprise a lot of people, he came on very strong at the end of the year. If we can get any kind of pass rush we will be a tough team to beat if not, we'll be lucky to go 8-8. Also, you forgot Shawn Springs. The broncos have to be a close second just with Bly/Bailey or the ravens with McAllister, Rolle, Reed and Dawan Landry.

Ward
05-02-2007, 01:08 AM
Three first rounders in the Redskins db corps is interesting, but hardly makes them the best. This is Baltimore, by a lot.

McBain
05-02-2007, 01:15 AM
Three first rounders in the Redskins db corps is interesting, but hardly makes them the best. This is Baltimore, by a lot.

Actually 4

Springs #3 to Seahawks
Taylor #5
Landry #6
Rogers #8

Smoot #34 or something in the second...

We draft dbs like the lions draft recievers. But ours are a but more successful.

Ward
05-02-2007, 01:24 AM
Actually 4

Springs #3 to Seahawks
Taylor #5
Landry #6
Rogers #8

Smoot #34 or something in the second...

We draft dbs like the lions draft recievers. But ours are a but more successful.

Forgot about Springs, but I was mostly commenting on the fact that Rogers, Landry, and Taylor may eventually pan out, but it hardly indicates how good they are.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-02-2007, 01:26 AM
i wouldn't say its the Redskins. Landey is a rookie who hasn't taken a snap, Rogers hasn't proven himself enough to make him a strong part of the "top secondary". I'm not a huge fan of Smoot, but i love Taylor. They would be up there though, just not the best

Ravens is solid all around, because the weakest link is probably Landry and he played solid as a rookie.

Then again it might be Dallas because Newman and Williams are the best things this world has ever seen (thought i would get this started because we know it will at some point turn to a discussion about them)

McBain
05-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Forgot about Springs, but I was mostly commenting on the fact that Rogers, Landry, and Taylor may eventually pan out, but it hardly indicates how good they are.

Yeah, i agree. Draft status doesn't mean they're all going to play up to where they are drafted.... but they certainly have some gaudy expectations.

Borat
05-02-2007, 01:28 AM
Baltimore. Easily.

This thread will probably have a short shelf-life.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Yeah, i agree. Draft status doesn't mean they're all going to play up to where they are drafted.... but they certainly have some gaudy expectations.

ya, look at Mike Rumph and Philip Buchanan, man they give the U a bad rep.

McBain
05-02-2007, 01:35 AM
i wouldn't say its the Redskins. Landey is a rookie who hasn't taken a snap, Rogers hasn't proven himself enough to make him a strong part of the "top secondary". I'm not a huge fan of Smoot, but i love Taylor. They would be up there though, just not the best

Ravens is solid all around, because the weakest link is probably Landry and he played solid as a rookie.

Then again it might be Dallas because Newman and Williams are the best things this world has ever seen (thought i would get this started because we know it will at some point turn to a discussion about them)

Rogers is solid, if he could hold on to potential interceptions it wouldn't even be discussion. Hands of stone be damned!

Lets say it like this then, the redskins don't have the best secondary, but they certainly have the highest expectations and probably the most talent. Granted, what is talent without production?

Anyway, i wasn't crazy about the Landry pick, i like him and i think he's a great player and is going to be a great player. But i'm definetly one with the mind-set that we should have gone d-line. Alas, Gregg Williams is a cocky mofo. Hopefully my team won't pay too harshly for his arrogance.

Shiver
05-02-2007, 01:36 AM
Oakland, in my mind.

McBain
05-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Oakland, in my mind.

I was under the impression Huff wasn't doing much of anything.

What is it, Washington, Asomuagha, Huff and who? Schwiegart?

Non_Sequitur
05-02-2007, 01:41 AM
The Jets don't have it bad now that we have Revis. Kerry Rhodes and Erik Coleman were both All-Rookie team performers, and Rhodes outplayed just about every Safety in the entire league last year. Dyson is a legit number 2, fringe number 1, and with Revis coming in we're now solid.

But with all that said, I think it's a toss up between the Broncos or the Ravens.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-02-2007, 01:42 AM
ya McBain, Rogers is solid. but what i was saying is that he isn't a guy that would make u say, "he's a key reason they are the best defensive back group in the league". just to clarify.

i'm not goin to pass it to the Raiders just yet, i'm wanting to see next year then i'll throw them in the discussion. no denying the good (great?) year last year, but i want to see more

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-02-2007, 01:45 AM
dude, please don't throw in the Jets yet, i don't wanna have a "Jets fans are clueless" type attack. We aren't even close to being in the Top Defensive Back group in the league discussion yet.
Revis is a rookie, Dyson is solid but unspectacular and will be a good #2 if Revis can be that #1 (yet to be determined), Coleman is solid, and i love Kerry Rhodes and think he'll be a top saftey in this league, but all together, u'd be hard pressed to have me in my top 5 even, but if they get there next year, i will be one of the happiest people u'll see.

WE ARE NOT LIKE THE DALLAS FANS. PLEASE FORGIVE HIM!

Non_Sequitur
05-02-2007, 01:46 AM
dude, please don't throw in the Jets yet, i don't wanna have a "Jets fans are clueless" type attack. We aren't even close to being in the Top Defensive Back group in the league discussion yet.
Revis is a rookie, Dyson is solid but unspectacular and will be a good #2 if Revis can be that #1 (yet to be determined), Coleman is solid, and i love Kerry Rhodes and think he'll be a top saftey in this league, but all together, u'd be hard pressed to have me in my top 5 even, but if they get there next year, i will be one of the happiest people u'll see.

Did you even read my post. I said it was Denver or Baltimore. I was just talking about how the Jets are at least getting there.

Shiver
05-02-2007, 01:49 AM
I was under the impression Huff wasn't doing much of anything.

What is it, Washington, Asomuagha, Huff and who? Schwiegart?

Huff wasn't making 'big plays' per say. Still as a rookie he played rather solid.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-02-2007, 01:49 AM
just wanted to make sure people didn't flame u, or Jet fans. i agree the Jets are on the right track, but that we can discuss in the Jets board in greater detail.

Burns336
05-02-2007, 03:05 AM

If by Dallas Fans you are talking about t-newfan41/Achilles33, please do not include the rest of us in that generalization. In fact there were a handful of us calling for CB in the first round. Aside from Newman and Williams, no one in the the secondary is considered a top tier player by any cowboy fans (at least i hope).

On the subject of williams, lets just say if he doesnt "earn" the pro-bowl this year, i think alot of us are going to start changing opinions on how great of a player we think he is.

TheChampIsHere
05-02-2007, 03:11 AM
Ravens right now, Reed is easily the best DB in this league, McCalister re-emerged as a shutdown CB, and then Rolle and Landry are very nice starters.

I wouldnt be surprised if in a couple years the Falcons have the best. Hall should continue to develop and the sky is the limit with him and I am a big fan of Houston, he is a potential shutdown CB and Jimmy Williams I think will make a very good FS. Milloy is still a solid SS but I expect they'll replace him soon.

Caddy
05-02-2007, 03:19 AM
Ravens right now, Reed is easily the best DB in this league, McCalister re-emerged as a shutdown CB, and then Rolle and Landry are very nice starters.

I wouldnt be surprised if in a couple years the Falcons have the best. Hall should continue to develop and the sky is the limit with him and I am a big fan of Houston, he is a potential shutdown CB and Jimmy Williams I think will make a very good FS. Milloy is still a solid SS but I expect they'll replace him soon.

Heard of Champ Bailey? I hear he is pretty good.

fenikz
05-02-2007, 03:21 AM
Champ Bailey alone makes Denver the best, add Dre Bly, Domonique Foxworth & John Lynch(even if he isnt that good anymore)

& the Pat's secondary is kinda underated, Samuels, Harrison, Meriweather, James

damasta13
05-02-2007, 03:36 AM
Wot about the packers? They have woodson and harris at corner, depth is a little weak but they are very good, then at safeties they have collins who is a beast, and rouse could turn into a decent player too.
So without looking at depth they are pretty good!

Paranoidmoonduck
05-02-2007, 03:49 AM
Oakland, in my mind.

While I'd love to agree, I can't quite yet.

Asomugha has been very good for two straight years now, but Fabian still has a lot of room to grow. Chad Johnson was waxing poetic about the game the kid played against him last year last season, but he needs to pick his spots to take risks a little better. I love Huff and I think he's got a very bright future, but Schweigert is probably going to be replaced in the next few years if the team really wants to make an elite secondary.

It probably has more potential than any other in the league, but it has quite a bit of developing to do.

Crazy_Chris
05-02-2007, 03:54 AM
Packers aint even close to being the best group of D-backs... this is hands down Denver & Baltimore no one comes close to either of them yet

The Unseen
05-02-2007, 05:44 AM
Baltimore.

Oakland maybe in a little while, but Baltimore's is just too good.

Rob S
05-02-2007, 05:50 AM
just imagine if they still had champ....

BlindSite
05-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Panthers have the best corner back trio, we just need a decent safety

bsaza2358
05-02-2007, 08:23 AM
The Eagles are not the best, but they are certainly solid. They have the best FS in the game the last 7 years in Brian Dawkins, 2 Pro-Bowl CB's in Sheppard and Brown, and a servicable SS in Considine. There are some depth concerns, but the Eagles have been mass-producing nickel-CB's from late round picks and UDFA's for years now.

I think the Ravens are the best secondary right now, with Oakland, Philly, and Denver (in no particular order) running behind them. These are the top 4 teams, with Dallas running fifth, IMO.

NIN1984
05-02-2007, 08:49 AM
While I'd love to agree, I can't quite yet.

Asomugha has been very good for two straight years now, but Fabian still has a lot of room to grow. Chad Johnson was waxing poetic about the game the kid played against him last year last season, but he needs to pick his spots to take risks a little better. I love Huff and I think he's got a very bright future, but Schweigert is probably going to be replaced in the next few years if the team really wants to make an elite secondary.

It probably has more potential than any other in the league, but it has quite a bit of developing to do.

Not a lot of Raider fans like Schweigert but he was apart of the #1 pass defense in the NFL. I have not given up on him yet, it took Asomugha till he's 4th year to break out. Schweigert has gotten better in each season and I'm hoping he stays.

plus he's a good leader.

portermvp84
05-02-2007, 09:47 AM
I hope Schweigert sticks around, he's proven he's good against pass situations, but nort so good on run plays.

IMO they best is stil the Ravens they have play makers on their whole defense.

Bengals1690
05-02-2007, 10:09 AM
denver and baltimore, nuff said.

bsaza2358
05-02-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm still laughing that the first 5-10 posts were about whether or not the Redskins had the best secondary in the league. They're third best in their own division...

AdrianWilson12
05-02-2007, 10:43 AM
I quite like 3/4 of Carolina's secondary, although there is a markable difference between Marshall, Lucas, Minter and then Williams. Minter has long been a top 10 safety and Lucas is very solid. Marshall was the best rookie CB last year and constantly made big plays. Gamble is arguably the best nickle CB in the league too.

I don't think they are the best, Baltimore deserves that title uncontested. I certainly think the Panthers deserve a mention in this thread and probably are top 5 in the league IMO.

neko4
05-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Washington
Landry/Taylor/Smoot/ROgers/Macklin/Springs??? When healthy is dominate

If Green Bay had a Nickel and SS then they could be mentioned

bored of education
05-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Kansas City
Law/Surtain/Page/Pollard/Wesley
lol

Number 10
05-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Washington?

Hey I like the potential of Taylor-Landry....but Landry hasn't done anything at the pro level thus he can't be something that puts a unit over the top. Rogers has been OK at best and Smoot might be close to the end considering how he looked last year.

I'm going with Baltimore....they have the best safety in the game in Reed, an up and comer in Landry that played awesome in a rookie year, McCalister is still a top 3 CB in this league and Rolle is more than serviceable.

bsaza2358
05-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Washington
Landry/Taylor/Smoot/ROgers/Macklin/Springs??? When healthy is dominate

First of all, I think you mean 'dominant'.

Secondly, I think you are overrating them. Let's review:

Landry: Rookie. Unproven. Great college career, but he has to adjust to the NFL.

Taylor: Most physically gifted S in the league, but he had a horrendous 2006. Needs to get back on track, wrap up better on his tackles, and not overrun plays as much. Could be the best FS in the league if he's coached properly and focuses.

Smoot: Has regressed since he left Washington. Not a lock to be a competent starter in the NFL anymore.

Rogers: Showed a few flashes, but he is inconsistent. Cannot intercept the ball to save his life. Needs to play with better outside technique. Not a #1 CB just yet, but there is potential.

Macklin: Probably the best Dime CB in the league, but he's aging and probably won't make as much of an impact as you think. Would be an average nickel CB if needed.

Springs: Solid #1 CB, but he has a few injury concerns. I love him as the leader of the Skins secondary, but he is also getting older.

Overall, the Skins have potential in the secondary, but their proven assets (Springs and Taylor) had a collectively dreadful 2006. When you factor in the anemic Redskins pass rush and the need for several of these players to rebound or develop quickly, and you cannot put Washington in the top 5 in secondary. If things break right and they are coached properly, they could reach that level this year, but right now, they are second tier.

Caddy
05-02-2007, 04:31 PM

I still think Denver's combo of Bailey/Bly/Foxworth beat out the Panthers.

RaiderNation
05-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Baltimore... Raiders need to get a saftey and they will be a top 5 one

keylime_5
05-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Landry and Taylor might be the best young safety duo in the league. However Shawn Springs is older and always hurt, Carlos Rogers hasn't proven to be a good corner yet, and no one else on that roster is good. Solid maybe, good no.

The best secondary is in either Chicago, Denver, or Baltimore. If Baltimore had another good CB it wouldnt be much of a debate. I'll say Denver for now since they have the best CB in Bailey, and a pro bowler opposite him in Bly, plus John Lynch who is still pretty good. Ferguson is underrated.

keylime_5
05-02-2007, 04:49 PM

Sean Taylor - 5th overall
LaRon Landry- 6th overall
Carlos Rogers - 9th overall
Shawn Springs - 4th overall? (somewher in top 10 anyway)

But still, Redskins' secondary might be top 10 on paper, but hardly on the field. It won't help that they have no pass rush either.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Not a lot of Raider fans like Schweigert but he was apart of the #1 pass defense in the NFL. I have not given up on him yet, it took Asomugha till he's 4th year to break out. Schweigert has gotten better in each season and I'm hoping he stays.

plus he's a good leader.

People were ripping on Stu far more than he deserved last year. To be honest, with Huff draped all over whoever he was covering, a lot of traffic got funneled in Schweigert's direction.

That said, I'm not sure I see more than an average start there and if we're going to rank this team as having one of the best secondaries in the league, that position would require an upgrade more than any other (except maybe nickel corner).

GermanSaint
05-02-2007, 05:22 PM
eagles (10 chars)

skinzzfan25
05-02-2007, 05:25 PM
All homerism aside I'm takin the Ravens.

But hopefully 2-3 years the Redskins will be up there. We need Big Joe + Griffen healthy and to take up as much space as possible, and Carter providing a good rush.

In GW's defense almost all of the sacks, forced fumbles and picks (duh) come from the LBs and DBs. Fletcher needs a big body in front of him to keep the Oline down and it's a sure tackle. Rocky is lookin good as a edge blitzer and edge run support, and Marcus Washington always looks good.

People also forget we have Prealeau who will be healthy this year. He can play any DB position, so expect him to help out on nickel and dime packages.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Ravens No question, and their weakest link is not Dawan Landry it is Samari Rolle. I predict 3 from them in the pro bowl, C-Mac, EReed, and Dawan who will be huge this year. Skins defensive backfield so much improved since last year. As long as our corners can stay healthy we are golden and this year we actually have legit backups in Fred Smoot and David Macklin. At safety we have one of the best duo's backed by surprisingly great Vernon Fox, Pearson Prealiou who missed all of last year and Reed Doughty who has starting potential in the future elsewhere.

Of course Broncos have to be mentioned.

draftguru151
05-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Might not have anything to do with this thread, but a lot last year packers fans were saying they have a great secondary/the best because they had a top ranked pass defense. Miami had a top 5 pass defense this year, and the DBs are the worst unit on the team (other than QB). Also the Packers had a bad run defense, so teams ran it all the time, Miami also had a 10 top rush defense, so anyone saying their team is the best because of the pass defense doesn't work.

As for the best secondary, I'd lean Baltimore, but it's hard to be a bad secondary when you get 60 sacks in one season.

BaLLiN
05-02-2007, 07:20 PM
1.Baltimore
2.Denver
3.New England
4.Chicago
5.Falcons
6.Titans (if they had Pacman)

Shiver
05-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Would I be crazy to think Atlanta will be considered up there, this time next year?

skinzzfan25
05-02-2007, 07:31 PM
are you kidding? it wouldn't even be a discussion? wow. i hope someone else already made you regret saying that.

Well he did drop around 5 (maybe more) picks this season. Probably those yellow gloves he started wearing lol. Oh well, this season he's workin with Darrell Green and Deion Sanders. Two of the best ever.

PalmerToCJ
05-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Would I be crazy to think Atlanta will be considered up there, this time next year?

No.

The lack of Jason Webster out there is addition by subtraction. He might have been worse than Tory James was last year.

Yung Flippa
05-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Baltimore, because I mean just look at the starters

Chris Mcalsiter : Top 3 CB in the NFL

Ed Reed: Best Safety in the NFL

Dawan Landry: Up & Coming Starter who is going to be a Future Pro-Bowler

Samari Rolle: He might be the weak link in the group, but he still has skills, and besides once he's gone, we still have David Pittman (3rd Round Pick Last Year, who I'm really high on)

ccB
05-02-2007, 07:55 PM
You guys are crazy, Baltimores DB's are so overrated its not even funny. Ed Reed sucks hes not even top 10 safety in the league.

niel89
05-02-2007, 07:58 PM
You guys are crazy, Baltimores DB's are so overrated its not even funny. Ed Reed sucks hes not even top 10 safety in the league.

lol

tentantoo

niel89
05-02-2007, 08:04 PM
also, denver has zero business in a best secondary conversation. john lynch is great in run support, but awful in pass defense, and nick ferguson could be replaced by a second grader with no discernable loss in production.

now thats a very honest assesment of denver. people really rank that group so high mainly because of how good champ is. while i think champ is flat out amazing, the safeties are lacking in pass coverage. im a big fan of lynch but run support is his strong suit.

while i am a baltimore fan, so i might be a bit of a homer, i think that baltimore is the best group as a whole. CMac and Ed Reed are both atleast in the top three for their respective positions and Dawan Landry and Rolle are both solid players. I really think that they also benifit greatly from a strong pass rush and a great defensive scheme(creates the pass rush).

Geo
05-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Lucas/Marshall/Gamble over Vasher/Tillman/Manning Jr? No thanks.

BlindSite
05-02-2007, 08:43 PM
I still think Denver's combo of Bailey/Bly/Foxworth beat out the Panthers.

Bailey and Bly are probably equal to Gamble and Lucas for the reason that Lucas and gamble are both better than Bly but bailey is the best of all. As for Nickels, Foxworth is good, very good. But Richard Marshall has no weaknesses in his game. He's a complete corner and excelled even as a rookie to be a top flight corner when asked to compete. Imagine how good he can be a year from now.

yourfavestoner
05-02-2007, 08:53 PM

Pass that ****.

McBain
05-02-2007, 08:59 PM
are you kidding? it wouldn't even be a discussion? wow. i hope someone else already made you regret saying that.

nope. but please, feel free.

Geo
05-02-2007, 09:01 PM
I would say so, personally. A lot would have to happen for that to be the case.

JT Jag
05-02-2007, 09:15 PM
For the sake of argument, how about Jacksonville?

If Reggie Nelson's learning curve is small, their secondary could be really special.

Rashean Mathis is a top-3 corner in the league (My opinion, also the opinion of many others), and Brian Williams is one of the best #2s around. Gerald Sensabaugh is a really athletic safety who can play in the box and can also be the ballhawk, and Nelson can potentially develop into an Ed Reed-esque player.

3 of the guys in this secondary can make the big play if given the smallest chance, and the other--- Williams--- is a tried and true cover corner and solid physical defender.

bearsfan_51
05-02-2007, 09:18 PM

If Reggie Nelson's learning curve is small, their secondary could be really special.

Rashean Mathis is a top-3 corner in the league (My opinion, also the opinion of many others), and Brian Williams is one of the best #2s around. Gerald Sensabaugh is a really athletic safety who can play in the box and can also be the ballhawk, and Nelson can potentially develop into an Ed Reed-esque player.

3 of the guys in this secondary can make the big play if given the smallest chance, and the other--- Williams--- is a tried and true cover corner and solid physical defender.

Brian Williams is one of the best #2's around? According to who? Dude wouldn't even start for half the teams in the league.

Your safties consist of a decent player and a rookie.

Jacksonville is good based on Mathis alone, maybe top 10, but come on...

cunningham06
05-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Champ Bailey alone makes Denver the best, add Dre Bly, Domonique Foxworth & John Lynch(even if he isnt that good anymore)

& the Pat's secondary is kinda underated, Samuels, Harrison, Meriweather, James

D-Backs, not D-Bags, the Pats shouldn't be in this discussion. Asante Samuel is underrated, Harrison isn't the player he once was and can't stay healthy, Meriweather will probably be good, Tory James is flat out awful, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't start next season.

Baltimore and Oakland for me. I expect Huff to become more of a playmaker this season, and Schweigert is underrated. I'd put Baltimore on top by a fair margin, with Oakland second.

I also really like Jacksonville I'm not putting them up at the top yet because we don't know how Reggie Nelson will play, but if he does as well as expected, Jacksonville will be in the discussion.

nobodyinparticular
05-02-2007, 09:23 PM
1.Baltimore
2.Denver
3.New England
4.Chicago
5.Falcons
6.Titans (if they had Pacman)

Not a fan of Scrabble, Fabio, Huff and the rest of the crew I see.

Geo
05-02-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm constantly amazed at the Patriots' refusal to infuse their secondary and linebacking core with young talent via the Draft. Maybe Belichick only has 2007 on his mind, but Pioli should be thinking long-term at least.

nobodyinparticular
05-02-2007, 09:26 PM

Finally someone in this thread with some sense. Change out Baltimore with Denver and repeat yourself and I'll nominate you for "Toonster of the Year" award.

cunningham06
05-02-2007, 09:26 PM

The Broncos, Eagles, Panthers, Bears, Cowboys, Packers, and Raiders all have better #2's. I like the Jags too, but saying Williams is one of the best #2's around is just incorrect.

nobodyinparticular
05-02-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm constantly amazed at the Patriots refusal to infuse their secondary and linebacking core with young talent via the Draft. Maybe Belichick only has 2007 on his mind, but Pioli should be thinking long-term at least.

I think Belichick is confident in his ability to run a plug-n-play defense in the back 8. Whether he is justified in that or not is a different discussion, but it's just a thought.

benroethlisberger
05-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Just think if the Steelers could get some grade A talent around Polamalu then I could even bring them up in a discussion like this but with Mcfadden , Taylor , hopefully Smith taking over the other safety spot I wouldnt be able to say that with a straight face.

Geo
05-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Something I've been wondering for some time: how seriously are the Steelers going to try signing Polamalu to an extension, given his extensive and troubling history of concussions?

I like Anthony Smith though, he has promise.

Xonraider
05-02-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm one of the few Raider fans who like Schweigert..

anyways.. I'll say Baltimore..

nobodyinparticular
05-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Just think if the Steelers could get some grade A talent around Polamalu then I could even bring them up in a discussion like this but with Mcfadden , Taylor , hopefully Smith taking over the other safety spot I wouldnt be able to say that with a straight face.

Well, I think Anthony Smith is a real start to that. I was one of his biggest fans last year.

jkpigskin
05-02-2007, 09:38 PM
yay
great to see that peopel think the ravens have the best Dbacks in the league

i hope to see samari recover from last years poor year

JT Jag
05-02-2007, 09:52 PM
The Broncos, Eagles, Panthers, Bears, Cowboys, Packers, and Raiders all have better #2's. I like the Jags too, but saying Williams is one of the best #2's around is just incorrect.Ok, Williams is one of the best #2s in the AFC.

He might be better then Bly soon enough, considering Bly's career year was in 2003 and 2006 was his first full, particularly good season since.

Geo
05-02-2007, 11:51 PM
LOL

Mid-season form jab there, njx.

SaintsMan
05-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Fred Thomas.

Why have a Defensive Backfield when Fred Thomas can shutdown the whole field by himself.

CC.SD
05-03-2007, 02:38 AM
Fred Thomas.

Why have a Defensive Backfield when Fred Thomas can shutdown the whole field by himself.

FTW!

It's clearly the Ravens, in two years it will probably be the Raiders if they hang onto Alphabetsoup.

There has been no Charger homerism in this thread yet:

If Antonio Cromartie hits his ceiling, he'll be a star. Drayton Florence would have had like 10 picks last year if he had any hands, he had to settle for a bunch of deflections. Quentin Jammer is very underrated, he's held a lot of good receivers to non-impact games, and Marlon McCree and Eric Weddle might be a pretty damn good safety tandem.

Put a crazy front seven in front of those guys, that's not the league's worst joke of a secondary anymore.

Nitschke-Hawk
05-03-2007, 10:19 AM
1. Baltimore, McCalister is the 2nd best CB, Ed Reed is the best safety, Landry's pretty good too.
2. Denver, Champ is in another world right now, Lynch isn't great but has great awareness and won't make many mistakes, add a veteran man 2 man corner in Bly, plus Foxworth. Imagine if they had a pass rush.
3. New England, they certainly don't stun you athletically but they're really smart, won't make mistakes and Samuel and Harrison are very good.
4. Philly,-B-Dawk, nuff said, and Brown & Sheppard area top notch combo, plus they usually have great depth in Philly.
5. Green Bay,-They get the edge over Chicago, frankly corners are more important than safeties, Harris & Woodson is a top 3 duo, Chicago's can be easily exploited and they're Cover 2 corners. Nick Collins=most athletic safety in the North, I think he's gonna have a big year.

McBain
05-03-2007, 07:58 PM
nope. but please, feel free.

No? You call me out and then leave it? WTF, no more mind games njx.

McBain
05-03-2007, 08:02 PM
i actually missed your return post. i'll be back shortly with something.

You are crafty.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Oakland
Fabs
Aso
Huff
Stu

McBain
05-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Oakland
Fabs
Aso
Huff
Stu

i'll give the raiders this, there secondary has the greatest nicknames.

Fabio
Scrabble
Kitty Huffer
Disco Stu

I saw a couple of those posted earlier.

remix 6
05-04-2007, 03:42 PM
your gonna say the Redskins is the best? They were the worst last year..Landry hasnt proven anything although i love the guy. Smoot blew in Minny..Springs is never healthy..

The best: Baltimore..easy

PackerLegend
05-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Ravens, Eagles, Broncos. But im going to be a big homer and say Green Bay!!:)

NickCollins36
05-04-2007, 04:33 PM
NICK COLLINS BETHUNE COOKMAN
wat now!

McBain
05-04-2007, 08:08 PM
your gonna say the Redskins is the best? They were the worst last year..Landry hasnt proven anything although i love the guy. Smoot blew in Minny..Springs is never healthy..

The best: Baltimore..easy

nope, go re-read my posts. i think njx thought the same thing... but that was my initial response before i actually put any thought into it. njx is disagreeing that Carlos Rogers would be considered a solid db without any discussion if he didn't have hands of stone.

Aftermath
05-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Bengals could be pretty good in a few years.

Hall-Madieu-White(If it works out)-Joseph

Certainly one of the the best CB cores in a few years.