PDA

View Full Version : NT Manny Wright

Burns336
05-02-2007, 03:49 AM
I remember last year this guy was being talked about as someone who had potential. Dolphins just released him, but from what I've read they had good depth at the position and didn't really see where Wright fit into the plans of Cameron's Dolphins since Wright is a Saban project. Anyone have an input on the guy?

Ward
05-02-2007, 04:07 AM
Why would we sign this fat crybaby?

D-Unit
05-02-2007, 05:16 AM
I remember watching his high school tape when he got recruited to USC. Amazing how his career has derailed. He used to be DOMINANT.

DMWSackMachine
05-02-2007, 11:41 AM
You might be confusing Rodrique Wright with Manny. Manny came out two years ago, as an entrant into the supplemental draft, while Rodrique--who was also highly regarded--was a 7th rounder to the same team after being projected as a possible 1st rounder early in his college career.

Still, I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Manny. At this point, you're willing to try anything to get some reliable insurance policy for Ferguson.

Macarthur
05-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Keep in mind, Phillips is on record as saying that in his 3-4, he doesn't necessarily want a Ted Washington type. He wants guys that move, not just eat up space (no pun intended).

In fact, I heard or read somewhere that there's some talk about giving spears some reps at NT.

Crickett
05-02-2007, 01:50 PM
You might be confusing Rodrique Wright with Manny.

Rodrique Wright was a DT from Texas IIRC. Manny was a project who had the protential to yield first round caliber results. It became pretty clear early on however that wouldn't happen. Especially with the whole Nick Saban making him cry on the practice field thing.

D-Unit
05-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Nah, I'm not confused with Rod Wright... Whatever happened to him?

Burns336
05-02-2007, 02:27 PM
I just remembered he came out of USC before he really had a chance to develop, but he had a boat load of potential as far as measurables and athletic ability. I had totally forgot about that thing with him crying though, that just means he has no where near the amount of mental toughness needed to play in this league. Too bad.

jdnoyes
05-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Ireland also had some insightful comments about the Cowboys NT position today. He said he knows the fans are concerned about Fergy's backup, but we shouldn't be. Went on to say Wade likes the guys he has there, and will expect his NT's to play a lot of 1 gap and a bit of 2. Said watch out for Ratliff playing a significant role on the nose, because he's the type of penetrator Wade likes in there.

Was also asked about Walter Thomas and why Dallas didn't bring him in he said we looked at him, but he's not really the type of guy we are looking for in there at this point, said they were happy to get the Dagunduro kid from Nebraska as an UDFA, because he was more of a fit.

On another note I was watching tape of the 1990 Super Bowl Denver vs San Fransisco on NFLN last night, pretty interesting to see one of Wade's defenses in action. His NT was Greg Kragen at that point, a really quick, disruptive guy but not big at all, he was shooting the gaps all day in that game. Unfortunately Wade's D ran into Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Roger Craig, Rathman etc etc that day and lost 55-10, but it was pretty interesting seeing his defense in action.

robert_in_bigd
05-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Keep in mind, Phillips is on record as saying that in his 3-4, he doesn't necessarily want a Ted Washington type. He wants guys that move, not just eat up space (no pun intended).

In fact, I heard or read somewhere that there's some talk about giving spears some reps at NT.

So Spears as a NT. I think some folks crapped on this idea last year. Hmmmmmm. Not the right body type, etc .... LOL.

Macarthur
05-02-2007, 04:35 PM
So Spears as a NT. I think some folks crapped on this idea last year. Hmmmmmm. Not the right body type, etc .... LOL.

But just as Ireland said, Wade & Parcells have different ideas for the NT. Spears probably isn't what Parcells is looking for in a NT. Maybe he would fit for Wade because of his quickness.

robert_in_bigd
05-02-2007, 04:40 PM
But just as Ireland said, Wade & Parcells have different ideas for the NT. Spears probably isn't what Parcells is looking for in a NT. Maybe he would fit for Wade because of his quickness.

OK, how about the alternative explanation. The earlier fannie opinion on Spears as a possible NT is wrong.

draftguru151
05-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Nah, I'm not confused with Rod Wright... Whatever happened to him?

Rod Wright is still on the Dolphins, sat out all of last year with the shoulder injury, hopefully he can contribute at DT in the 4-3 and DE in the 3-4 this season.

As for Manny, he sat out last season with depression, and has severe mental problems.

jdnoyes
05-02-2007, 04:46 PM
OK, how about the alternative explanation. The earlier fannie opinion on Spears as a possible NT is wrong.

Spears is not a 2 gap NT period. Could he be a 1 gap NT, probably so, but nobody in the organization mentioned him playing on the nose.

D-Unit
05-02-2007, 04:50 PM
HA HA!!! After Spears gets all psyched up to play DE in Wade's 3-4 cause he gets to attack the QB, someone tells him he might end up playing NT. LMAO!!!

Macarthur
05-02-2007, 04:56 PM

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying?

Macarthur
05-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Spears is not a 2 gap NT period. Could he be a 1 gap NT, probably so, but nobody in the organization mentioned him playing on the nose.

First, I never said they did. I was just throwing that out there because it might give us an opportunity, especially on passing downs, to get all our best pass rushers on the field at the same time.

Secondly, explain why he couldn't be a 2 gap NT.

Im_a_Romosexual
05-02-2007, 04:58 PM
sucks to be him :)

robert_in_bigd
05-02-2007, 05:05 PM
First, I never said they did. I was just throwing that out there because it might give us an opportunity, especially on passing downs, to get all our best pass rushers on the field at the same time.

Because the fans here said he can't.... even if now Ireland is saying maybe he will. I dunno. I am confused but delighted. Spears is wonderfully talented player who can be anything he wants to be on the DL as long as he works at it.

jdnoyes
05-02-2007, 05:06 PM

If he can't be a effective 2 gap DE, how is he going to be an effective 2 gap NT? Spears strength is the quickness he has at 300 lbs, something most 300 lb guys just don't have. He is not at his best in a read and react system, especially at the NT where your job is to eat up 2 guys on every play.

I honestly think a lot of this position is mental. Talent is good, but you have to be willing to take on 2 guys on every play, get the crap beaten out of you and have zero stats to show for it. I don't think Spears has that type of mental attitude nor physical makeup to hold up to that type of action for 60 plays. In the one gap system though he might be effective at least part time on the nose as he can then use his quickness and bulk to shoot through the gaps into the backfield.

And just to clarify Ireland never mentioned Spears name with the NT's, ony Fergy, Ratliff, Stanley, Bowen and the UDFA Ogo whatever.

Macarthur
05-02-2007, 05:17 PM
If he can't be a effective 2 gap DE, how is he going to be an effective 2 gap NT? Spears strength is the quickness he has at 300 lbs, something most 300 lb guys just don't have. He is not at his best in a read and react system, especially at the NT where your job is to eat up 2 guys on every play.

Yeah, but going aginst a guard instead of a tackle will benefit him with his quickness. You just made the argument above why he might make a good NT in WADE's system.

And just to clarify Ireland never mentioned Spears name with the NT's, ony Fergy, Ratliff, Stanley, Bowen and the UDFA Ogo whatever.

I know he didn't.

jdnoyes
05-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Yeah, but going aginst a guard instead of a tackle will benefit him with his quickness. You just made the argument above why he might make a good NT in WADE's system.

Yeah I agree with you he might be able to play at least part time on the nose in Wade's system, my argument was that he is in no way suited to play 2 gap NT, nor has the organization said he will play NT. I still think he is a much better fit at DE in Wade's system than at NT even though he could play it in a pinch.

robert_in_bigd
05-02-2007, 05:25 PM
For all of Spears quickness let me point out he is lining up over the RT and RG ..... not exactly the LT and LG.

IMHO. Marcus does not have a first step. I just don't think he will ever be a good pass rusher because of this. I have watched him and I just feel it takes him a second or so to transition. Too slow.

IMHO. Marcus does has very good lateral quickness and can shed blocks easily which is why I think he would make a GREAT nose tackle. With more weight and strength I think he could make a DOMINANT NT.

But ya gotta want it, stop whining, and accept you are not Reggie White. Like taking a QB and convicing him he is a WR -- takes two parties to make it work in this NF of L.

Marcus needs to accept what he is and that is not an All-Pro LDE.

thule
05-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Just for the record, I was one of the main people laughing about Spears playing the nose. But that was also during the Parcells reign...and in the 2-gap scheme Spears just didnt' have the needed bulk or anchoring ability to withstand the position needs. However he could be a NT in a shooting one-gap scheme if needed. I don't think that best fits his skillset...however if Ratliff can't fit the void..and Stanley is still a scrub...with a guy with the ability of Hatcher is on the bench Spears could pinch at the NT...to allow for the best available 3 man line.

art vandelay
05-02-2007, 05:41 PM
The Bills signed him today.

robert_in_bigd
05-02-2007, 05:43 PM
From a pure body type -- I have yet to hear why Spears could not "bulk up" to NT.

There is nothing narrow on Mr Spears body .... unlike Hatcher and Canty who are more angular.

But time will tell. I want Marcus to succeed.

Dcboys94
05-02-2007, 10:35 PM
that wouldn't be a bad idea w/ spears as a NT...then hatche could play end