PDA

View Full Version : Williams hopes to make most of new start with Raiders

Splat
05-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Williams hopes to make most of new start with Raiders (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-sportsshowcase8&prov=ap&type=lgns)

"For some reason, I was labeled fat, lazy, or this, a pot smoker, or whatever else was said," Williams said after being traded to the Oakland Raiders (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/oak/). "And that was the farthest thing from it."

Click link for the whole article.

PoopSandwich
05-02-2007, 03:40 PM
When I got to watch him play against the Browns he looked very good, I was surprised with his fall out, he never looked fast but he sure got open and had good hands.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-02-2007, 03:40 PM
seems to state the obvious. i highly doubt he'd just give up....lets just see what he can do with the new start

Paranoidmoonduck
05-02-2007, 04:55 PM
I think this move could end up as a major plus for Oakland. Williams looked good in limited time in Detroit, has a good relationship with Kiffin, and has a week 1 contest against Detroit to act as a motivating factor.

I don't know how much his work ethic is an issue, but I do know that we at least got what could be an absolutely amazing red-zone target. If Williams can be a solid #3, the Oakland receiving corps is probably one the most physical in the NFL, which should work out spectacularly in Kiffin's offense.

Moses
05-02-2007, 04:59 PM
I still expect Mike Williams to have a good career. When he got on the field last year he looked very solid.

Don Vito
05-02-2007, 05:03 PM
I really hope he turns it around in Oakland. When he was at SC he was so fun to watch, if he could return to that form I would be happy for him. He went through a pretty awful past few years.

DMWSackMachine
05-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Really? I would have thought that he wanted to come in and pick up right where he left off. That's weird.

Shiver
05-02-2007, 05:34 PM
I think he will be a productive, but nothing special, player for Oakland.

Notredameleo
05-02-2007, 06:48 PM
He will not be an all star for Oakland unless he changes his attitude and work ethic immediately. Maybe him being reunited with Kiffin will help, but im a little pessimistic. I used to be his number 1 fan, but he just gave up in Detroit, and didnt take advantage of what little opportunities the coaching staff gave him...

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Hopefully hes motivated by Kiffin and will contribute.

ElectricEye
05-02-2007, 06:50 PM
I think he's going to make a lot of people eat their words about him. I still think he has Probowl potential.

TheChampIsHere
05-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Im really excited about what he will be able to do for us and I feel like hes coming into a perfect situation. The situation in Detroit was awful for him. Of course its partly his fault, but Martz didnt want him in his offense and they were trying to make him get his weight down to 220 when he played at 240 in college and just things of that nature. I expect Kiffin to use him as a possesion receiver and move the chains with him and he can be very effective at that and if he excells at that we can expand his role. I really like the array of receivers we have now. A great possesion guy in Williams with great size and hands, than a balanced receiver who can really do it all in Jerry Porter. A solid route runner with good hands, smart and RAC ability in Curry and then Higgins, a speed demon with underated hands and route running ability.

ElectricEye
05-02-2007, 07:30 PM
When he's on, Williams is more than a possession receiver. He's very good at getting a step on the guy covering him even if he's not as fast. That's all he needs, since he positions himself very well, and has very long arms.
I still love Mike Williams. If he works and keeps his weight down, he can be a real impact player for the Raiders. The fact that Lane Kiffin is there doesn't hurt either. And one thing that people forget is that he's still only 23, and won't be 24 until next January. He's young enough to recover from what happened in Detroit. I'm really rooting for the guy.

oakraiders2007
05-02-2007, 07:36 PM
When he's on, Williams is more than a possession receiver. He's very good at getting a step on the guy covering him even if he's not as fast. That's all he needs, since he positions himself very well, and has very long arms.
I still love Mike Williams. If he works and keeps his weight down, he can be a real impact player for the Raiders. The fact that Lane Kiffin is there doesn't hurt either. And one thing that people forget is that he's still only 23, and won't be 24 until next January. He's young enough to recover from what happened in Detroit. I'm really rooting for the guy.

Damn, I thought he's like 25. He is still 23? That is pretty damn young and hopefully he can turn around his career at Oakland.

Will he be the comeback player of the year this year?

Shiver
05-02-2007, 08:08 PM
He did toast Terrence Newman last year, on a smash route, for a TD.

Geo
05-02-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm puzzled as to why this guy has two threads created about him in as many weeks.

BlindSite
05-02-2007, 08:33 PM
I've got the biggest feeling that Mike Williams might've slept with someone's daughter and really upset coaches.

There's a reason why journalists write stories that are mostly positive for an organisation and with the party line, they want to keep their access.

Lets face it Mike Williams though he was lazy and overweight has a lot of skills with his hands, leaping and route running. If he can get motivated, then the Raiders are going to have a GREAT possession receiver.

P-L
05-02-2007, 10:33 PM
I think he can still be something in the league. I don't see him becoming spectacular, but I think he could still be solid. He never had a fair chance in Detroit. He couldn't/wouldn't drop his weight to the coaches demands and was late to a few team meatings. The Lions coaches responded by benching him and fining him a lot of money. If Williams can turn his work ethic around, I don't think he's a totally lost cause.

FilthyRich
05-02-2007, 11:58 PM
one of my favorite college receivers ever. i agree, millen was a douche for drafting a third big 1st round receiver as if they had peyton manning or something throwing the ball. i think him and russell will definitely coexist, because he provides a big target. really like what the raiders are doing this offseason, including the trade of moss.

Donno
05-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Oakland did a great great job giving up only a 4th rounder for Williams and McCown, maybe Ill go back to going to Raider games and they might actually win.

Number 10
05-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Lions made a mistake here IMO.

ThEsAVaGe
05-03-2007, 12:27 AM
i think williams will be huge in oakland. now that moss is gone there is some room for him to get high on the depth chart. If jamarcus russel or whoever starts for them can get him the ball he'll be a very productive reciever. But also remember he plays in a division with 3 of the best corners in the business.

wogitalia
05-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Lions made a mistake here IMO.

They did and they didnt. I think it had become clear that the coaching staff didnt want him. He clearly showed he could produce at the end of last year but they really just shut him out from the start. It just wasnt working there. This will however be one of those trades that in 5 years I think people are going to say "what were they thinking". Raiders made a good move, Lions forced themselves into this move which is the bad move they made. The trade itself was inevitable and really not a bad move at all. Lets be honest they got more for BMW than the Raiders got for Moss. If someone said to you they would trade BMW for Moss, everyone would laugh.

wogitalia
05-03-2007, 12:33 AM
But also remember he plays in a division with 3 of the best corners in the business.

He already had that last year. He wont be facing that guy unless he does even better than anyone thinks he will. If he is better than Porter and Curry, then the trade is a flat out win. I hope he does well to be honest, I like the guy.

DI
05-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Nice move for both Williams and Oakland. Giving Williams an opportunity to play right away and you have to believe that he is going to be in better shape and spirits being in Oakland, closer to home and with his former offensive coordinator. I wouldn't look for anything outraeous this year, but in a year or so, Oakland might have themselves a player.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-03-2007, 01:06 AM
Lets be honest they got more for BMW than the Raiders got for Moss. If someone said to you they would trade BMW for Moss, everyone would laugh.

Half a 4th rounder > Whole 4th rounder?

Oaktown1981
05-03-2007, 01:06 AM
I really like this pickup for the Raiders. Williams is still young only 23 years old and he wants to be a Raider.

D-Unit
05-03-2007, 01:28 AM
If the Lions had a capable staff they would've realized before they drafted him that he wasn't a fit for their team. Their scouting department is one of the worst in the leagues. The fact that they were trying to shop Calvin Johnson around the league before and after they drafted him, shows even more how dumb they are.

Basileus777
05-03-2007, 08:18 AM
If the Lions had a capable staff they would've realized before they drafted him that he wasn't a fit for their team.

Williams fit Mariucci's WCO fine.

LionSmack
05-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Williams never wanted to be here. He didn't understand why they drafted him, then Mariucci put him in the doghouse after a very brief rookie holdout, he never made the effort to fight through it like they wanted him to, his weight got too high, and the coaches had a right to ask him to drop it when he proved to have a hard time getting off the line because he lacked quickness. Then Martz came in and he didn't fit with that, never wanted to work with Martz at all and basically said so, and then just accepted his fate and acted happy to waste away on the bench. Later, injuries forced him into the lineup and he played pretty crappy before finally making a contribution to a win with that catch against Dallas.

^^^ all that is on him alone. Not Millen, not Mariucci, not Martz.

I realize that he will probably have success in Oakland. He may even become a very solid starter, though I don't think he'll ever be a star. He will probably always have some trouble getting open and he's really not that fast, though he probably will look faster in Oakland simply because he's trying.

portermvp84
05-03-2007, 09:56 AM
He could be a good third reievier if he has a good work ethic.

LionSmack
05-03-2007, 10:35 AM
The only problem with him being a 3rd WR is that most offenses like the 3rd guy to be a quick slot receiver type and work open spaces in zones on passing downs. MW does not fit that profile, not at all.

I imagine the Raiders are planning to give him every opportunity to win a wideout position opposite Porter (if Porter himself is even there). If he is really as excited about a fresh start as he claims, he could do it, especially in a WR corps like the Raiders. As talented as he is, if he even works a little bit at it he should beat out the likes of Curry, Gabriel and Whitted hands down.

Nitschke-Hawk
05-03-2007, 11:21 AM
I think it's the perfect fit for him, it's like a requirement to have a good big receiver at USC, so it should fit with what Kiffin will do, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to feature the offense around him.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-03-2007, 11:43 AM
The only problem with him being a 3rd WR is that most offenses like the 3rd guy to be a quick slot receiver type and work open spaces in zones on passing downs. MW does not fit that profile, not at all.

USC's 3rd receiver last year was 6-5 Michael Turner, so I'm sure Williams will function fine at that spot. I really doubt he beats out Curry, who was arguably the shining start of the offense last year.

NIN1984
05-03-2007, 11:57 AM
I don't mind the trade at all I don't think he will beat out Ronald Curry for the #2 job I can see him as our #3, maybe.

bored of education
05-03-2007, 12:00 PM
He will be an All-Pro in 2 years lol.

yourfavestoner
05-03-2007, 12:24 PM

I imagine the Raiders are planning to give him every opportunity to win a wideout position opposite Porter (if Porter himself is even there). If he is really as excited about a fresh start as he claims, he could do it, especially in a WR corps like the Raiders. As talented as he is, if he even works a little bit at it he should beat out the likes of Curry, Gabriel and Whitted hands down.

Just because you're the third receiver doesn't mean that you absolutely have to play in the slot.

bearsfan_51
05-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Too bad he can't catch. Lazy nothing, he drops way too many easy passes.

lod01
05-04-2007, 09:08 AM
I'm going to guess you base that on this past year where he had a few drops. Of course, if you actually saw the game, 2 of the 'so called' drops were totally uncatchable horrible passes. If you are basing it on his career up to that point, you are even further off in you statement. Hands are his forte. Speed is not. Anyone with a clue knows that.

LonghornsLegend
05-06-2007, 05:31 PM
lets all remember, williams got screwed by entering the draft early when he thought he would be eligible, then found out he couldnt get drafted or participate with USC...for a guy his size that hurt him, thus him suffering from an instant impact...

had it not been for the year off, i feel like he would of already been a solid player at this point, never the fastest guy, but good at what he does best which is be a possession wr/red zone target, who is very young with lots of potential still left

DHVF
05-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Hmmmmm........would anyone kill me if I were to compare him to another WR (who he actually trained with) who left one town classified as having a bad work ethic/attitude and went on to have one of the greatest receiving careers of all time in Cris Carter?

nobodyinparticular
05-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Hmmmmm........would anyone kill me if I were to compare him to another WR (who he actually trained with) who left one town classified as having a bad work ethic/attitude and went on to have one of the greatest receiving careers of all time in Cris Carter?

That's a comparison that I have been mulling over lately. "All he does is catch touchdowns." Carter was big, certainly not fast, but very good in the red zone with very good hands.

jefepowhnzer
05-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Was the injury that hobbled him this weekend from a few weeks prior or did it occur in the last few days? If he suffered the injury this weekend what do you think that says about his preparation/work-ethic? I'm rooting for him, but it seems like the same ol thing.

ElectricEye
05-06-2007, 09:12 PM

That's who I thought he was coming out a few years ago, with a bit more height. But he hasn't lived up to it yet.

remix 6
05-06-2007, 09:13 PM
i still dont get why people kept calling him fat. Hes always played over 230 hasnt he?

just because he didnt make weight doesnt mean hes fat..hes a big guy and its not like he just magically got up to 230 or 235 whatever he is/was..hes always been around there

Staubach12
05-06-2007, 10:13 PM
I've said this before and I'll say it again: I think the change of scenery will do wonders for him. He'll never be the suerstar people expected him to be when he was first drafted, but he does still have a chance to be a good receiver.

DHVF
05-06-2007, 11:11 PM
That's who I thought he was coming out a few years ago, with a bit more height. But he hasn't lived up to it yet.Carter didn't live up to it at first either, rather when I believe it was his mother who died, and he completely rededicated himself and the rest was history. All it took, was for him to dedicate himself and for that dedicated self to get a chance and I see no reason why Williams couldn't do the same. Nevertheless, let's be realistic here, as receivers like Cris Carter come around very.........very rarily.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-06-2007, 11:15 PM
I hope that Williams can improve with the change of scenery in Oakland, I still think he got a raw deal from the NFL when he tried to come out the first time along with Maurice Clarrett.