PDA

View Full Version : Don Vito's 2008 Mock Draft

Don Vito
05-02-2007, 04:55 PM
I know it's very early, but this is how I see things as of now. Keep in mid that I don't think a few juniors will come out, so if you don't see some names don't worry.

I know it is WAY to early to do a 2008 mock, but I thought it would just be fun to see how some good college players on NFL teams.

1. Texans-Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas Will provide the big play threat they have been lacking (and should have one in Beggie Bush). They could go QB, but I think the Redskins believe in Schaub enough (and Schaub should play well enough) for the Texans to steer away from Brohm, Brennan, or Woodson. I am that the Texans added Ahman Green, but he is not the sameplayer he was 3 years ago.
2. Raiders-Jakes Long, OT, Michigan The Raiders have has some terrible OL issues the last few seasons. They added some solid young players on the interior over the last few years, but Gallery hasn't met expectations and it is time to add an anchor at tackle. I believe that Jake Long will have a great season and I think believe he will be the #1 OT come years end.
3. Dolphins-Kenny Phillips, SS, Miami The Dolphins have added some good talent on both sides of the ball, but I think that the QB situation will bring them down this year. They see something in John Beck, but he doesn't look like a guy who will start day 1. I think they take Phillips over a QB because the 'Phins seem to have faith in Beck and some of the other signal callers on the roster. Safety is very thin for the Dolphins, especially with Jason Allen probably moving to corner
4. Buccaneers-Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU Dorsey looks like a can't miss DT. He is a great fit for the Tampa 2 as well, I believe he could really play NT and UT, but he is probably a better fit for the UT. The Bucs haven't had a dominating interior presence since Sapp's heyday, and Dorsey could be the guy to bring it back.
5. Cowboys (via Cleveland)-Mario Manningham, WR, Mich The Cowboys WR corps is really aging and there isn't much depth. Jackson would compliment T.O. very well, he is a great big play guy and would probably be the #3 behind Glenn for a while. He is a better fit for the Cowboys than DeSean Jackson, imo, Manningham can make the big plays and is also probably a little more polished as a WR. Plus the Cowboys already have good returners. They could also take an OT, Flozell Adams is getting old.
6. Chiefs-Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville I think that Brodie Croyle will be no more than a backup in KC, and Damon Huard is aging. We haven't seen too much in the NFL from Croyle but he doesn't seem to be cut out as a starter, even though he may get his chances in 2007. Trent Green is all but done as a Chief, whether he goes somewhere else or retires. He is really getting up there. OL is definitely a huge need, but I think they take a QB round 1 and draft a road-grading guard or LT round 2 or later.
7. Titans-DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal Jackson is an ideal fit for the Titans. They need a WR for Young, and he would be a great target for VY with his vertical routes and knack for the big play. He is also an elite return man and Pacman looks to be done for at least the majority of 2007. The Titans top need is probably WR, followed by DE, DT, and CB.
8. Redskins-Calais Campbell, DE, Miami The Redskins made the most of their few 2007 picks, but they didn't add a big time DL. Landry was a great pick, but they had one of the worst pass rushes (the worst) in the NFL last year. Campbell is a beastly pass rusher with a huge frame, and he looks to be ready for a stellar season. If he comes through I can't see him falling past the 'Skins here.
9. Bills-Malcolm Jenkins, CB, OSU You could say "take Sam Baker or Jared Gaither here" but I believe that Jason Peters is a great LT (as do many people) and a first round LT is unneeded. The Bills do need some CB help and Jenkins is definitely a contender, if not the frontrunner for the 2008 top CB right now.
10. Lions-Dan Connor, ILB/OLB Penn St. The Lions offense has been infused with talent and is ready to break out. They have 2 talented RB's; 2 elite talents at WR with some other solid pass catchers; a young and improving OL which will be bolstered by George Foster at RT; and they even took a QB to take over for Kitna in the near future, Drew Stanton. The defense is improving as well, with a great interior DL and some DE's that will suprise in 2007 (Kalimba Edwards, Dewayne White, Alama-Francis). There is help needed at ILB and DB though. I decided to give them Dan Connor because he is an athletic and versatile LB who looks like a great fit for Detroit's version of the tampa 2. He has the ability to play outside if he needs to fill in for Sims or Bailey, as well. I have no idea what is up with Teddy Lehman, if he comes back the Lions go safety here.
11. Cardinals-Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC The Cardinals are another team who keeps adding talent and they look loaded, but they are by no means set at DE. Chike Okeafor and Bertrand Berry are old and probably have 1 or 2 more productive years left. The Cardinals love their USC boys and this Trojan is a perfect fit for the Arizona D.
12. Falcons-Xavier Adibi, OLB, VT The Falcons have some OLB issues. Demorrio Williams can't stay on the field, Michael Boley is solid but unspectacular, and the only depth they really have is Marcus Wilkins. Adibi fits the falcons perfectly. The Falcons would love that blazing speed coming off of the weak side. They took Stephen Nicholas in the 2007 draft, I think he has the ability to play SLB if he is impressive in 2007 and they take Adibi to play WLB. Plus the Falcons love their Hokies. They could really use some depth at the OLB position.
13. Broncos-Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC Al Wilson was a great leader and player for the Broncos, he wil be sorely missed. D.J. Williams is said to be moving from SLB to MLB to ease the transition. That still leaves a pretty big hole on the strongside, which looks like old Keith Burns or new arrival D.D. Lewis will fill. I think taking the huge, athletic Maualuga would be great. He could play MLB and D.J. could bump back out to the strong side where he has excelled in his young career.
14. Packers-Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon The Pack missed out on Marshawn Lynch this year, the Bills took him 4 spots earlier. The Packers rushed on a decision to compensate for missing Marshawn by selecting Brandon Jackson out of Nebraska in round 2. Jackson wasn't very productive in his Big 12 career and he doesn't have shocking measurables, so who knows how he will do in the NFL. Stewart, on the other hand put up nearly 1000 yards along with 10 TDs as a sophmore and has one of the craziest size-speed combonations we have seen from an RB in the last few years.
15. Rams-Earl Bennet, WR, Vandy Isaac Bruce is probably done after 2007, and I don't think Drew Bennet can step in for Bruce and be a productive #2 aside Holt. A lot of people will tell you Bennet is the best and most complete WR in this class, he looks like a top 20 lock. The Rams could take a guy like FS Jon Hefney, FS Josh Pinkard, or LT Jared Gaither, but I think Bennet is the best pick.
16. Steelers-Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC The Steelers are getting ready to shift from the 3-4 to the Tampa 2, so there is some new personnel needed. One thing they really wll need is a quick penetrator at UT. I think Ellis can be that guy for the Steelers, and he could anchor that DL for years to come.
17. Patriots (via SF)-Derrick Harvey, DE/OLB, Florida I know that the Patriots probably need ILB and CB more, but Harvey is probably the BPA and is a great talent. Plus, the Pats will formation you to death and OLB's kine up inside and outside play middle. What I am trying to say is that the Pats don't really need to draft a 3-4 ILB, they love taking DE's not LBs. That being said Harvey would see the field a lot as a young player and would have the opporitunity to learn from Adailus Thomas, Mike Vrabel, and Roosevelt Colvin. I really have lost all hope of the Pats taking a LB like Vince Hall or Jasper Brinkley, but I would have no problem with Harvey.
18. Cowboys-Sam Baker, OT, USC The Cowboys are going to need a LT once Flozell Adams is done, which could be after this season or the next. Baker has the experience, the size, and the athleticism to be a great player at the next level. I believe James Marten will end up at RT (backup at first) which will give Baker the opporituity to play early in his career.
19. Vikings-Courtney Greene, FS, Rutgers Greene is another hybrid safety, a type of defender that is becoming more and more popular. Yes, Greene has the ability to play free and strong safety, and although he usually lines up at free, he can pay both. The Vikings look to be very thin at safety, especially with Darren Sharper not getting any younger. The Vikes could use young safety added into the rotation.
20. Bengals-Will Arnold, OG, LSU The loss of Eric Steinbach looks to be a big one for the Bengals. Arnold would help ease the loss, he could fill in at the LG spot or play RG if need be. The Bengals could also grab a safety or LB here.
21. Panthers-Josh Pinkard, FS, USC FS Mike Minter is almost done and at SS there isn't much talent either.Pinkard is a FS and would probably play there if Carolina took him, but I think he definitely could play SS if the Panthers needed him to. Pinkard is big, physical, and athletic. He has had some injury issues as a Trojan, but he should be able to display his talent in 2007 as the centerfielder of what looks to be one of the best defenses college football has ever seen.
22. Jaguars-Keith Rivers, OLB, USC I do not think the Jaguars are giving up on Byron Leftwich yet. He is talented and hasn't been as terrible as he is made out to be (when he's on the field). The Jags have put together a solid offense and defense, yet they still could use some help at LB. Rivers is an elite LB prospect who could make this "good" defense into a "great" one.
23. Seahawks-Martellus Bennet, TE, Texas A&M Jerramy Stevens didn't do much in Seattle, but losing him will still hurt. There is basically nothing as far as TE talent is concerned on that team. They added Marcus Pollard but he must be 35 and has looked awful ever since he left Indy. Bennet is a huge and athletic passcatcher who may actually remind some people of Jerramy Stevens while he was as WaSu. Sorry if I scared you Seahawks fans off, but Seattle is good enough at basically every other position to roll the dice on a first round TE with tons of upside.
24. Jets-Chris Long, DE, UVA The Jets are adding talent to there 3-4 defense, and Chris Long would be a perfect fit at DE. The Jets could use an upgrade at that spot, and Long has the size and athleticism to be a great player at that position.
25. Eagles-Early Doucet, WR, LSU There isn't much WR talent in Philly now, and adding a physical and athletic wideout like Doucet would be a big plus for that offense. Doucet looks like one of the more physically gifted WR prospects in recent memory, but he isn't just a workout warrior, he has already got it done at LSU as the #3 or #4 target. With Bowe and Davis gone, we will see what Doucet is really made of in 2007.
26. 49ers (via Indy)-Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB Ohio St. With the 49ers using a hybrid defense, they are constantly flip-flopping between a 4-3 and 3-4. One of the most important players in that defense is a DE/OLB. Vernon Gholston has the strenght and athleticism to be able to play every down in a defense like the niners run. I have seen Tully Banta-Cain play his entire NFL career and he is not an every-down 3-4 OLB. Gholston would be a great addition here to play opposite Lawson.
27. Giants-Steve Slaton, RB, WVU I know a lot of people are thinking LB here, but Antonio Pierce can hold down the middle. Mathias Kiwanuka got moved to SLB and they also drafted Zak DeOssie to play the strong side. Gerris Wilkinson should get the nod as WLB starter in his 2nd year, and he has the talennt to be effective. They also have Reggie Torbor, Chase Blackburn, and Kawika Mitchell for depth. OT is a possibility, but think the Giants end up taking a big-play type RB in Slaton. They have bruisers in Brandon Jacobs and Ruben Droughns, a guy like Slaton (or Jamaal Charles/James Davis) would be an ideal compliment. I think Ahmad Bradshaw could fill Tikis shoes, but if he doesn't, you can't pass up on Slaton.
28. Chargers-Jonathan Goff, ILB, Vandy Goff is a big (6-4 240), athletic inside linebacker who would be a great fit for the Chargers. He would help ease the loss of Donnie Edwards, and Goff's athleticism would add to talent in that great front 7.
29. Saints-Frank Okam, DT, Texas The Saints have really had some problems here in the past few seasons. Adding a top talent like Okam would greatly improve this defense and could lead to great things for New Orleans. They could also go LB or CB here, but Okam is probably too good to pass up if he falls this far.
30. Ravens-Jared Gaither, OT, Maryland The Ravens go with the local kid here and they could really use him. Jon Ogden is great but he is getting old and Adam Terry can be upgraded. Gaither is an absolute freak, he is big, strong, and athletic and could be like Ogden-a fixture for years to come.
31. Patriots-Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona Cason could have came out in 2007 and been a first rounder, but he opted to stay in school. I think he should've came out, but he is a great player nontheless. The Pats adressed the safety need with Brandon Meriweather this year, and they got a LB in Derrick Harvey in this draft. Cason would complete the defense and either be a nickel guy or bump Ellis Hobbs down to the nickel.
32. Bears-Mike Oher, OL, Ole Miss Oher is a versatile OL who has the ability to play LT and LG. He is a huge and very athletic run blocker who is a good pass-blocker as well. I originally gave the bears Ali Highsmith, but I probably shouldn't have give them a round 1 OLB (especially if Briggs stays).

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-02-2007, 04:57 PM
I love it, very nice job on all of picks.

RaiderNation
05-02-2007, 05:00 PM
RAIDERS= not top 5 pick in 08

Bills2083
05-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Bills will not be picking in the top 10 next year. Good pick though

LitoSheppard
05-02-2007, 05:02 PM
.(....\............../....)
. \....\........... /..../
...\....\........../..../
....\..../´¯.I.¯`\./
..../... I....I..(¯¯¯`\
...I.....I....I...¯¯.\...\
...I.....I´¯.I´¯.I..\...)
...\.....` ¯..¯ ´.......'
....\_________.·´
.....l-_-_-_-_-_-l
.....l-_-_-_-_-_-l
Just testin it out, anyway don't like the Eagle pick

PalmerToCJ
05-02-2007, 05:05 PM
The Bengals have two very adequate young players to step in at LG. Andrew Whitworth who started 13 games last year (2nd round pick) and Stacy Andrews who has been developed and played great at RG (teams considered trading a 2nd rounder for him).

I expect LB, DT or maybe DE pending on how Frostee Rucker does next year.

VY10
05-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Good mock and analysis. I think Limas Sweed could be a first rounder if he has a big year. Okam could go earlier too because he is an absolute physical beast. Sorry, I'm a Texas fan so I know about those prospects the most.

thebow305
05-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Great phins pick! I hope we won't be picking that high though.

Achilles33
05-02-2007, 06:27 PM
OMG are you kidding me? The Cowboys at 18 and the Giants at 27? Thats a joke right. The Giants are terrible. And the Cowboys are one of thre frontrunners for the NFC this season. OMG these mocks are funny.

BaLLiN
05-02-2007, 06:36 PM
OMG are you kidding me? The Cowboys at 18 and the Giants at 27? Thats a joke right. The Giants are terrible. And the Cowboys are one of thre frontrunners for the NFC this season. OMG these mocks are funny.

I like all the picks and personally love the slaton pick, but the order is kind of off in my opinion, but Its hard to guess these things

Yea I'd have to say that the Cowboys will be better next year with Romo starting from the begining and having experience, plus they had injuries to their DT which made their secondary easy to pick out, but the giants aren't going to be terrible, they will probably be 13-18 something like that. I also don't agree that denver will be # 13, Travis Henry is going to rip it up, probably 22-27, they definately didn't get worse, Tatem Bell was injured every other game, the only other major loss was Al Harris, but they drafted well and got speed rushers, also Bly and Champ, thats all I have to say

Raiderz4Life
05-02-2007, 06:42 PM
thats pretty off

Ewing
05-02-2007, 06:51 PM
LOL @ Rex Grossman winning a Super Bowl.

bearfan
05-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Bears dont need OLB in 1st round when Briggs leave, we have 2 guys that we are high on Okwo (recent draft pick) who is perfect for us. And Jamar Williams who they compare to Briggs. Give us a WR here, or a QB if Grossman gets the boot

Achilles33
05-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Yea dude, this mock is pretty bad.

smittyjs
05-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Two Vandy players in the first round I LOVE it. And pretty good titans pick, but i would rather have EB.

Don Vito
05-02-2007, 08:15 PM

Alright bud wheres yours?

You are telling me the order is off, if I made the order the way people wanted me to there would be 32 teams picking last. That can't happen, so I made it the way I see it.

T-RICH49
05-02-2007, 10:07 PM
No way KC passes on Sam Baker

Xonraider
05-02-2007, 10:08 PM
RAIDERS= not top 5 pick in 08

It's not worth arguing that.

Anyways... very nice pick for the Raiders. Would love to see another Long in the Raiders.. especially since McFadden is gone.

Xonraider
05-02-2007, 10:09 PM

If there is anything I've learned from previous experiences with early mocks is not to say they're bad or good... because it is too early. These are mainly just for fun or for the authors to share who they think are the best prospects out there.

PalmerToCJ
05-02-2007, 10:45 PM
If there is anything I've learned from previous experiences with early mocks is not to say they're bad or good... because it is too early. These are mainly just for fun or for the authors to share who they think are the best prospects out there.

All that I go for is realistic positions addressed.

volman88
05-02-2007, 10:48 PM
LOL @ Rex Grossman winning a Super Bowl.

Maybe it will be chris leak?

scar988
05-02-2007, 11:21 PM
ummmm... Michael Boley is our best linebacker. so yeah...

fenikz
05-02-2007, 11:29 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

that was just for the cards being 11

but i rather have Jonathon over Jackson, we are building a power running game, and he fits perfect

Finsfan79
05-03-2007, 08:06 AM
phillips is nice he can play FS, SS, CB, KR, PR, Waterboy, anything you name he can do it on the defensive side of the ball.

I wouldnt mind him or Calais Campbell there just because Campbell is such a monste

Don Vito
05-03-2007, 08:35 AM
ummmm... Michael Boley is our best linebacker. so yeah...

Boley is good, but do you think LB is not a round 1 need? I found it hard finding a position for the Falcons to take. I thought that Adibi is a good fit, maybe not. What would the Falcons be better off with? WR, S, DL, OL?

Xiomera
05-03-2007, 11:42 AM
10. Lions-Dan Connor, ILB/OLB Penn St. The Lions offense has been infused with talent and is ready to break out. They have 2 talented RB's; 2 elite talents at WR with some other solid pass catchers; a young and improving OL which will be bolstered by George Foster at RT; and they even took a QB to take over for Kitna in the near future, Drew Stanton. The defense is improving as well, with a great interior DL and some DE's that will suprise in 2007 (Kalimba Edwards, Dewayne White, Alama-Francis). There is help needed at ILB and DB though. I decided to give them Dan Connor because he is an athletic and versatile LB who looks like a great fit for Detroit's version of the tampa 2. He has the ability to play outside if he needs to fill in for Sims or Bailey, as well. I have no idea what is up with Teddy Lehman, if he comes back the Lions go safety here.

HA! I'm sure Matt Millen would love to bring in a Penn State linebacker (like himself).

Nice pick.

terribletowel39
05-03-2007, 12:46 PM
i like most of the picks but something i noticed that hasn't been brought up yet. there are no QB's taken in the first round in your opinion?? i find that a wee bit odd.

NJ_J_Witt_fan
05-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Love that you have Courtney Greene up on your first round board but what about Ray Rice ???? Probably just my opinion and NJ bais but Rice is as good or better than Slaton. Dont get me wrong Slayton will be a good back but his his 7 yard per carry average is partially the result of playing in a spred offense. Most of his carries come against nickle and dime packages. QB Pat White actually avg 7.4 yards per rush and two more rushing touchdowns than Slaton (18). Meanwhile Rice and Leonard were the main attractions in the Rutgers offense last season, constantly facing eight men in the box. Rice still managed more yards and four more touchdowns than Slayton. In the end if both players declare for the draft next year and have success like last year they should both be first round worthy.
Rice comparison: Travis Henry
Slaton comparison: Poor mans Reggie Bush

DChess
05-03-2007, 01:57 PM
give the titans cambell

tdpennstate
05-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Steelers are already stocked at DT, Casey Hampton is a beast up the middle and they're really excited about Ryan Mcbeans potential

princefielder28
05-03-2007, 02:13 PM
You have the Packers picking too high!

DI
05-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Depending on how things go this season, Gaither might be a steal that low for the Giants if Diehl to LT doesn't pan out.

Gridiron
05-03-2007, 04:08 PM
For the Jets I'd take Gholston at that spot, but nice job.