PDA

View Full Version : NT Situation

Achilles33
05-02-2007, 05:04 PM
According to Jeff Ireland, everyone should stop with this NT banter. He said that we are switching from a Big, hole plugging 2 gap NT, to more of a pentrating, quick 1 gap NT, and Ratliff will really excell behind Fergy.

robert_in_bigd
05-02-2007, 05:06 PM
That is not exactly what he said. He said they will mix it up. Ready Fire Aim!

Achilles33
05-02-2007, 05:30 PM
He said majority would be 1 gap.

robert_in_bigd
05-02-2007, 05:36 PM
He said "more 1 gap."

D-Unit
05-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Sounds like they are more forced to make that decision because they didn't get a quality NT in FA or the draft.

I wonder what kind of effect that will have on Wade's schemes. He was successful last year in large part due to big ole 2 gap tackle Jamaal Williams. We don't got anyone like him, so I'm guessing he'll have to hold back on some of his play calling.

Oh this is just great. We get a guy like Wade and force him to adjust his schemes that he's been successful with in the past. I'm scared of him being forced to come up with something new at this point.

Start saying your prayers fellahs... We could be in for a loooooong season.

Burns336
05-02-2007, 06:12 PM
This sucks. I dont understand why the cowboy front office can never just fully give into something. It seems like we always tamper with little things that just come back to haunt us. Just give Wade someone that works in his scheme. I dont know why we couldnt pursue Jenkins or pick up someone in the draft instead of Marten's *** ass.

Achilles33
05-02-2007, 06:15 PM
We should have took Tank at 53.

thule
05-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Sounds like they are more forced to make that decision because they didn't get a quality NT in FA or the draft.

I wonder what kind of effect that will have on Wade's schemes. He was successful last year in large part due to big ole 2 gap tackle Jamaal Williams. We don't got anyone like him, so I'm guessing he'll have to hold back on some of his play calling.

Oh this is just great. We get a guy like Wade and force him to adjust his schemes that he's been successful with in the past. I'm scared of him being forced to come up with something new at this point.

Start saying your prayers fellahs... We could be in for a loooooong season.

Well Wade's guy was Spencer...so that goes to show what he had to think about Branch. Then we also passed on Tank at 53. FA period really had jokes available...so he came into this situation know that...now sure there are possibilities like Rogers or Jenkings...but really...we haven't had an options.

D-Unit
05-02-2007, 06:22 PM
We should have took Tank at 53.
Yeah, that was DUMB.

D-Unit
05-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Well Wade's guy was Spencer...so that goes to show what he had to think about Branch. Then we also passed on Tank at 53. FA period really had jokes available...so he came into this situation know that...now sure there are possibilities like Rogers or Jenkings...but really...we haven't had an options.
Yeah, well if they were going to go for a 1 gap tackle we passed on a billion of those two. They just messed up and are trying to pull excuses out of their butts. The NT they picked up out of Nebraska as a UDFA is a 2 gap tackle, so that right there goes to show what we really needed. If they picked up 1 gap tackle types then I would believe Ireland. He's just can't admit he screwed up doing his job.

D-Unit
05-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Oh yeah, and we can't blame Wade for this draft. His hands are clean. Fat boy was dunkin' donuts and looking up in the sky every time we were on the clock.

He was just happy they got Spencer because it was someone on his own personal list.

Achilles33
05-02-2007, 06:36 PM
D-Unit is right. Push over, nice guy coaches like Wade don't really have any say or do anything in the War Room. It was just for PR. He will bring the pressure though. I would have liked Tank at 53 though. I would have taken the chance of Marten or Free (which he was) being there at 122 anyway. Or take one of them at 104 and take Stanback at 122.

D-Unit
05-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Best thing to do now is to start stuffing Ferguson's mouth.

jdnoyes
05-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Word is Fergy has slimmed down this offseason because he is concerned for his long term health. I read somewhere he was only carrying about 310 or so with a projected playing weight of 305.

Im_a_Romosexual
05-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Anybody think we should trade for Kris Jenkins? im not so sure, but we need a NT

D-Unit
05-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Anybody think we should trade for Kris Jenkins? im not so sure, but we need a NT
I wanted to trade for him before the draft... was willing to give up a player and a 2nd round pick. Now I don't know if we even have the chance. Are those rumors that he's available still alive?

Im_a_Romosexual
05-02-2007, 07:29 PM
not sure, just throwing the idea out there

Achilles33
05-02-2007, 07:31 PM
I was going to bring that up, but I forgot. Is Jenkins a 3-4 NT? I can't hurt I guess.

jdnoyes
05-02-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm sure he could be pryed away for the right price. The question is what is the right price He'll be 28 this season so he should have some good years left in him. He's high risk reward, he could cost you a 2nd round pick and end up on IR or in rehab for the next three years or he could dominate for another 5 or 6 seasons. I'd give a 2008 second for him assuming he is healthy and seems to be in the right frame of mind. He's the kind of guy who could excel as a 1 gap NT. He can be so freakin quick off the snap I swear he is offsides half the time.

D-Unit
05-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Eh, I'd consider it a pipe dream. Not worth even discussing.

robert_in_bigd
05-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Kris Jenkins did not do mini-camp. Maybe we can job jim from NC for a 3rd rounder then take the Georgia QB for a supp 4th.

Fact is with two 1s and a 2 next year we don't need more bodies (3rd/4th round, etc) but potential stars.

nrcirc
05-31-2007, 01:22 PM
Kris Jenkins did not do mini-camp. Maybe we can job jim from NC for a 3rd rounder then take the Georgia QB for a supp 4th.

Fact is with two 1s and a 2 next year we don't need more bodies (3rd/4th round, etc) but potential stars.

He should be free to pick up after June 1st cut.

D-Unit
05-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Damn you guys for getting my hopes up.

robert_in_bigd
05-31-2007, 01:51 PM
He should be free to pick up after June 1st cut.

Don't think they would flat cut him unless they had major cap problems that I know nothing about.

With that said, I have seen Jenkins play and since his last knee injury I don't think he is a 1-Gap DT or 1 Gap anything. He is not as quick as he was and is reportedly carrying 380 lbs.

To me he is the next Ted Washington. A 2 Gap beast if he accepts the assignment. To boot as a 2-Gap NT he can guarantee himself another 8-9 years of paychecks barring injury.

nrcirc
05-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Don't think they would flat cut him unless they had major cap problems that I know nothing about.

With that said, I have seen Jenkins play and since his last knee injury I don't think he is a 1-Gap DT or 1 Gap anything. He is not as quick as he was and is reportedly carrying 380 lbs.

To me he is the next Ted Washington. A 2 Gap beast if he accepts the assignment. To boot as a 2-Gap NT he can guarantee himself another 8-9 years of paychecks barring injury.

He was fined close to millions $ for not in their mini camp (this could be a off season program) because of his weight problem (40 lbs over his normal weight). I believe he will be a June 1at cut.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
05-31-2007, 05:45 PM
I also would trade a third for him in a heartbeat. I would not hesitate at all.

LSUALUM99
06-01-2007, 07:48 PM
There won't be many June 1st cuts. The new CBA allows teams to cut players well before June 1st but designate them as June 1 cuts on the books. Keyshawn, Al Wilson, etc were all designated June 1 cuts but have been cut for some time. The days of the June 1 'second FA period' are basically gone now after the new CBA was signed.

Geo
06-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Williams has got some quickness and agility for a man his size, which is partly why he's such a tough match-up. I've seen him make tackles down the field on more than one occassion that you wouldn't think he'd be a part of. And I wouldn't get down just yet on Ferguson, slim or not, fitting the scheme. I think it's quite likely he could do well in Phillips' scheme.

As for disappointment over the team not drafting Alan Branch or Tank Tyler, well, I would point to the 08 DT draft class looking like it has more - and potentially better - 3-4 NT prospects. And with Dallas having two 1st round picks, they could be of benefit from that.

robert_in_bigd
06-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Williams has got some quickness and agility for a man his size, which is partly why he's such a tough match-up. I've seen him make tackles down the field on more than one occassion that you wouldn't think he'd be a part of. And I wouldn't get down just yet on Ferguson, slim or not, fitting the scheme. I think it's quite likely he could do well in Phillips' scheme.

As for disappointment over the team not drafting Alan Branch or Tank Tyler, well, I would point to the 08 DT draft class looking like it has more - and potentially better - 3-4 NT prospects. And with Dallas having two 1st round picks, they could be of benefit from that.

Problem is I am not sure their exists a college DT that projects as a NT without MAJOR investment. Which is why 3-4 NT rarely go earlier than a second. Too much work/risk for a 1st rounder who you want to play now.

Modano
06-03-2007, 02:49 PM
I've watched at other 34 teams, and almost every team seems to be screwed if their NT goes down.
The Patriots have Wilfork who is a beast, but behind him they have Mike Wright, who is a 295 pounds NT and Le Kevin Smith who I guess had like zero playing time last year.
The Steelers behind the great Hampton have Chris Hoke who weights 305 pounds.
The Chargers have Ryon Bingham (303) and McKinney (320) behind Jamal Williams.
Looking at the Jets it seems that the primary NT backup, Sione Pouah, barely played last year.
So if it's hard to find a big 320+ NT to be your starter, it's almost impossible to find a great backup for him. It seems that every 34 team relies on the ability of his NT to stay healthy...

nrcirc
06-04-2007, 08:10 AM
There won't be many June 1st cuts. The new CBA allows teams to cut players well before June 1st but designate them as June 1 cuts on the books. Keyshawn, Al Wilson, etc were all designated June 1 cuts but have been cut for some time. The days of the June 1 'second FA period' are basically gone now after the new CBA was signed.

You are correct. But I see June 1st cut is extended into August, for example Cowboys have not cut Rivera yet.

LSUALUM99
06-05-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm not certain the Cowboys are going to Cut Rivera to be honest. It all depends on his recovery. I have a feeling they will cut him or more specifically he'll retire, but I can't say that I'm certain by any means.

DMWSackMachine
06-05-2007, 01:46 PM
I think they will put Rivera on the PUP list, as an insurance policy for a major injury and/or lack of development from our young guys. I think he can still play.

Also, wtf is the matter with people? We have Jason Ferguson. He is a very good NT type with the ability to play at least two more years at a very high level, and you guys are acting like we're starting Pat Watkins there or something. He is a much better than adequate player, and if the Pro Bowl wasn't tailored to gap-shooting UTs that penetrate and get after the QB, then Ferguson would have made more than one Pro Bowl in his career. He was awesome last season for us, and I expect another stellar campaign. Just because he doesn't fall into the physical freak mold of a Jamal Williams doesn't mean he isn't a very good player. We will be fine there. We just need to find a guy that we can develop for down the road a bit. Right now we're set.

Im_a_Romosexual
06-05-2007, 05:33 PM
I think Fergys great. i'm just concerned about the depth

Modano
06-06-2007, 02:41 AM
I think Fergys great. i'm just concerned about the depth

Every 34 team is concerned about depth...