PDA

View Full Version : 3 days after the Draft? Start the '08 talk!

Scotty D
05-02-2007, 07:19 PM
First we have to start thinking about what range in the draft we are possibly going to be picking.

Optimistic - Anyway between 10-17
Realistic - 7-12
Pessimistic - 1-10

Honestly I think we will fall somewhere in the optimistic and realistc draft area.

Next come the positions we will need to target. Looking at the team I can see RT being a position that could potentially be upgraded depending on the play of Jon Scott this year. CB is a possiblity but only if we are picking out of the top 5 or so as the position can be filled later with cover 2 types. Everyone has high hopes for Teddy Lehman and Baldwin, but ILB could be another huge need for us next off-season. Then you have to look at the departure of Cory Redding. Now there is talk of Francis replacing Redding which would leave a hole at DE.

Players

Jake Long, OT - Michigan
Antoine Cason, CB - Arizona
Justin King, CB - Penn State
Malcom Jenkins, CB - Ohio State
Calais Campbell, DE - Miami
Lawrence Jackson, DE - USC
Dan Connor, ILB - Penn State (I believe he is moving there this year)
Darren McFadden, RB (To good of a talent to pass up)

Now I need help on additional players at these positions and then candidates for DE and ILB and any othe positions you feel are first round needs.

Notredameleo
05-02-2007, 07:45 PM
I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring and say we draft 7-12 and we pick up Calais Campbell.

WMD
05-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Whoa now.. If we're picking outside of the Top 5, we have no shot at Calais Campbell. He's way too much of a freak to make it out of the Top 5.

Anywho, I'm predicting a 4-12 season.. At the best, I could see a 6-10 year, but we DO have Jon Kitna as our QB.

4-12 will land us a Top 5 pick, which SHOULD net us my hero Calais Campbell... assuming/hoping/praying that Darren McFadden, Sam Baker, Jake Long, and Brian Brohm are all still considered Top/Elite Prospects for the 08 Draft.

Scotty D
05-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Whoa now.. If we're picking outside of the Top 5, we have no shot at Calais Campbell. He's way too much of a freak to make it out of the Top 5.

Anywho, I'm predicting a 4-12 season.. At the best, I could see a 6-10 year, but we DO have Jon Kitna as our QB.

4-12 will land us a Top 5 pick, which SHOULD net us my hero Calais Campbell... assuming/hoping/praying that Darren McFadden, Sam Baker, Jake Long, and Brian Brohm are all still considered Top/Elite Prospects for the 08 Draft.

Let Redding walk. Slide Alma Francis inside. Draft Campbell. Have a beastly D-Line.

Bootland27
05-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Here are SI's top prospects for 08. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0704/gallery.nfl.2008.draft.candids/content.25.html

Scotty D
05-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Here are SI's top prospects for 08. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0704/gallery.nfl.2008.draft.candids/content.25.html

Jake Long at #2, nice.

Bootland27
05-02-2007, 10:56 PM
3 wolverines in the top 22 as well, including 2 in the top 6

WMD
05-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Let Redding walk. Slide Alma Francis inside. Draft Campbell. Have a beastly D-Line.

I agree, that IAF is going to be a very good Cover 2 DT.. I wonder if they have intentions of Re-Signing Redding and trading away Big Baby?

Notredameleo
05-03-2007, 06:40 AM
They cant have two undersized DTs in the cover two!!

Addict
05-03-2007, 11:20 AM

maybe we could trade up for Calais... he's a freak... anyhow, depending on the running back situation we may have to consider a high pick on a RB, and they still haven't adressed the middle linebacker postition, and we may even need an OLB if Bailey walks.

Scotty D
05-03-2007, 04:23 PM
maybe we could trade up for Calais... he's a freak... anyhow, depending on the running back situation we may have to consider a high pick on a RB, and they still haven't adressed the middle linebacker postition, and we may even need an OLB if Bailey walks.

I could see Bailey walking next year. There are a ton of LB prospects in this draft. We could get a pretty decent one in the second round most likely.

detroit4life
05-03-2007, 04:38 PM
i still want kenny phillips safety from miami they say he has sean taylors hitting with ed reeds playmaking. He'll go from 5-10 next year im sure take him cut kennedy and move alexander to CB

familyguy555
05-03-2007, 06:38 PM

haha tyson jackson's eyes are priceless

Bootland27
05-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Not sure if anyone saw this, but they also did a mock draft for 2008 already. According to them the lions will have the 4th overall next year and pick.............Calais Campbell.

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/7630?new=true

I'll post the first 10 here:
# 1. Raiders: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas - McFadden ran for 182 yards against LSU, which is basically an NFL team. Character questions, but these are the Raiders.
# 2. Texans: Jake Long, OT, Michigan - After Matt Schaub gets sacked as often as David Carr, Houston realizes it's still got a problem.
# 3. Vikings: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville - Strong running game, and no passing game translates to 4-12 for the Vikes in 2007.
# 4. Lions: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami - I was tempted to put the top WR on the board here, but Matt Millen may not be around to run the draft.
# 5. Buccaneers: Sam Baker, LT, USC - Will this be the first pick of the post-Gruden era?
# 6. Dolphins: Chad Henne, QB, Michigan - The ‘Fins make up for controversial '07 pick of an Ohio State WR by taking a Michigan QB. You have to love the symmetry.
# 7. Cardinals: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida - Pass-rushers are always valuable.
# 8. Titans: Kenny Phillips, S, Miami - Phillips gets the edge over Antoine Cason.
# 9. Cowboys (via Browns): Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU - Strong D-lineman for Wade Phillips' defense.
# 10. Falcons: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas - Tempted to go QB here, but only if the Falcons are bad enough to get Brohm.

TacticaLion
05-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Not sure if anyone saw this, but they also did a mock draft for 2008 already. According to them the lions will have the 4th overall next year and pick.............Calais Campbell.

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/7630?new=true

I'll post the first 10 here:

Lame mock draft. Nearly the same teams picking in the Top 10.

WMD
05-03-2007, 09:55 PM
I see us in the Top 5.. And it'd be in our best interest to pick Calais Campbell.. He's such a damn monster. 6'8", 280 (according to the U's website) and Fast.. He'll terrorize QB's, I pray he winds up in a Lions uniform next year.

detroit4life
05-03-2007, 10:00 PM
him or phillips no matter what we should take a player from the U next year

WMD
05-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Well, I don't know about no matter what.. But I think wherever we're at, there's a DE within range.. Calais Campbell, Lawrence Jackson, Kenny Iwebema, Derrick Harvey, Vernon Gholston, Tyson Jackson, Quentin Groves, or Chris Long... 2008 should be Deeeeeeep in DE's if the Juniors declare.

Newbs24
05-03-2007, 11:07 PM
I would have to say that Kenny Phillips and Rey Rey from U$C are at the top of my list. I think Maualuga could be a Junior Seau clone in the L for a long time. And Kenny is Sean Taylor with coverage skills. Those 2 are at the Top of my list and I can see us picking in the top 5 again with our terrible defense.

P-L
05-04-2007, 01:12 AM
Right now I want Dan Connor or Jake Long. Campbell looks like he's going to be a very good prospect, but I haven't been entirely sold on him yet. As far as DE goes, a personal favorite of mine is Tyson Jackson. I see the Lions going 6-10 (semi-optimistic) and picking around 8-11.

WMD
05-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Right now I want Dan Connor or Jake Long. Campbell looks like he's going to be a very good prospect, but I haven't been entirely sold on him yet. As far as DE goes, a personal favorite of mine is Tyson Jackson. I see the Lions going 6-10 (semi-optimistic) and picking around 8-11.

Ha, I just read some random questionairre with Tyson Jackson.. He LOVES Lil Wayne..

Nickname: T.Y.
Major: African American Studies
After college I want to (other than play in the NFL): chill in Miami
The reason I wear my jersey number is: Dwight Freeney
My hobbies are: making money
The one thing I want people to know about me is: I liked Lil’ Wayne rap music so much that I imitated him.
Favorite movie is: Boyz in the Hood
The TV show I never miss is: 106 and Park
If I could be on a reality show it would be: College Hill
My favorite sporting event to watch is: Monday Night Football
Favorite meal is: baked chicken
My biggest pet peeve is: guys touching my hair
Nobody would believe I like to: go to the NFL
The most famous person I’ve ever met is: Lil’ Wayne
The player I liked the most growing up was: Jerry Rice
The player I like the most now is: Terrell Owens
Favorite LSU player of all-time is: Corey Webster
My most embarrassing sports moment was: when I missed a sack in my high school football game.
Before a game I have to: listen to Lil’ Wayne
When I’m not playing football I like to: chill and listen to Lil’ Wayne
If I could play a sport other than football it would be: basketball