PDA

View Full Version : Pro possibilty for any of these 3 QB's?

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-03-2007, 02:15 PM
I was thinking of these two sophomores in Juice Williams of Illinois and Matt Grothe of South Florida.

Williams is listed at 6'2 and 233 lbs.
Stats are as followed:
12 games...103 of 261 passing...1489 yards...9 tds...9 int...154 carries...576 yards...2 tds

Grothe is listed at 6'0 and 200 lbs.
Stats are as followed:
13 games...202 of 317 passing...2576 yards...15 tds...14 int...178 carries...622 yards...9 tds

The last QB I had in mind was John Parker Wilson from Alabama

Wilson is listed at 6'2 209 lbs.
Stats are as followed:
13 games...216 of 379 passing...2707 yards...17 tds...10 int...82 carries...290 yards

Which of these 3 if any will have a shot at the NFL?

-black
05-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Grothe, is a Jeff Garcia type of QB.....

Giantsfan1080
05-03-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm not sure who I'd compare Grothe to right now but I think he has an excellent shot of playing in the NFL one day. The kid makes plays.

HuskerNation
05-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Juice Williams, next McNabb IMO, by the end of his junior year he'll be a household name. Book it!

Michigan
05-03-2007, 03:41 PM
juice kinda sucks...

sweetness34
05-03-2007, 11:28 PM
juice kinda sucks...

Juice kinda is only a sophomore. He also had a ton of drops last year. Not to say that his accuracy needed much improvement but he's going to be damn good before he's gone.

He looked good in the Spring Game to hopefully that carries over to the regular season.

TigerBait45
05-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Grothe looks like he could be a stud whenever he comes out if he keeps playing this way.

I love watching him (and USF in general) play.

Tampa 2 4 life
05-04-2007, 10:28 AM
I could easily see Grothe as a Day One pick. He has good accuracy and is a great leader, with decent arm strength. I don't know who I'd compare him to, but I'm pretty sure it's not Jeff Garcia.

Sniper
05-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Juice needs to work a lot on his accuracy, but he has the physical tools to make it. HuskerNation, seriously, new material may be in store for you, and Tech just put up another TD.

ElectricEye
05-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Juice has the most upside out of any of those guys.

DWilliams2IndyColts
05-05-2007, 12:09 AM
I actually think with the winter and spring Illinois had I think Juice could be a bigger Troy Smith. I think Grothe will have a high draft stock depending on success but either way will play well in the NFL and I think of JP Wilson as more of a system QB who pending where he goes will be pretty average.

Sniper
05-05-2007, 12:33 PM
It's never a good sign when you don't up put at least 50% completion, that kind of worries me. Grothe is pretty good though, could be a decent NFL starter.

HuskerNation, really, you're that proud of winning a mediocre bowl game? That's unbelievably pathetic. I find it odd you're so eager to bring up the Michigan/USC game, do you conveniently forget that your powerhouse Huskers lost 28-10 to SC. So, let's review....

USC 32
Michigan 18 (14 point differential)

USC 28
Nebraska 10 (18 point differential)

sweetness34
05-05-2007, 02:43 PM
I actually think with the winter and spring Illinois had I think Juice could be a bigger Troy Smith. I think Grothe will have a high draft stock depending on success but either way will play well in the NFL and I think of JP Wilson as more of a system QB who pending where he goes will be pretty average.

Juice doesn't really compare to Troy. Much stronger arm, faster, taller bigger in size, quicker release, and much more of a prospect than Troy.

The only thing Troy really has over Juice is accuracy and experience, but Juice will improve on those areas as he gets more time.

Salami
05-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Out of the three, maybe Juice as a WR. None of them are NFL caliber QBs.

sweetness34
05-07-2007, 02:05 AM
Out of the three, maybe Juice as a WR. None of them are NFL caliber QBs.

You're joking right? Juice has the size, arm strenth, and speed to be an NFL QB right now. With some work on his accuracy and decision making he's a legit NFL prospect at QB. The kid has a ton of potential.

Sniper
05-07-2007, 06:22 AM
Why exactly is it every time a black QB comes through everyone says he will end up being a WR? Look I think Juice's accuracy needs serious work, but other than that he has all the tools to be a QUARTERBACK, who happens to be able to elude pass rushers and scramble upfield

dabears10
05-07-2007, 10:08 AM
It is not because he is black. He just is not a good passer right now at all. He completed LESS THAN 40% of his passes. That is not good at all. It does not matter what tools you have unless you complete AT LEAST the very LEAST 50%. So it is not because he is black, it is because he sucks.

iowatreat54
05-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Juice = Reggie Ball part 2

JCarver27
05-07-2007, 10:57 AM
You're joking right? Juice has the size, arm strenth, and speed to be an NFL QB right now. With some work on his accuracy and decision making he's a legit NFL prospect at QB. The kid has a ton of potential.
OH MY GOD A DIFFERING OPINION!!!!!!!

maybe that person doesn't think he'll develop his accuracy and decision making. I know......it's a stretch to think that some college players might not make it to the NFL.

Xonraider
05-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Juice got mad skillz... Hopefully he develops nicely, I'd love to see him play in the NFL at full potential.

Don Vito
05-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Juice has great tools for a QB, I think he definitely has the ability to make it in the NFL. He is a little short, needs to refine his game, and improve his accuracy, but he definitely has the ability to make it in the NFL. Every time I have seen USF play, Grothe is very impressive. He can definitely move and has a good arm, but 6' 200 is awfully small for an NFL QB.

ChefMike
05-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Juice has great tools for a QB, I think he definitely has the ability to make it in the NFL. He is a little short, needs to refine his game, and improve his accuracy, but he definitely has the ability to make it in the NFL. Every time I have seen USF play, Grothe is very impressive. He can definitely move and has a good arm, but 6' 200 is awfully small for an NFL QB.

I am SOOO sick of hearing this guy is too short that guy is too short... How tall do you need to be to play QB !! Juice Williams is 6'2.. (Joe Montana, Fran Tarkenton, Steve Young, Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb) all 6'2 !! Come on now everyone in the NFL that plays QB can't be built like Peyton Manning. I agree that you can't be 5'8" and play QB effectively. Troy Smith is a legit prospect, not a fan of him but defintely is a true pro prospect.

Phrost
05-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Grothe, is a Jeff Garcia type of QB.....

Exactly, When I lived in Florida I remember when he was recruited, slightly homered but I think he could be a backup.

portermvp84
05-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Juice has a great chance for sucess in the NFL. Good arm, mobile and if he got a little better acuracy he could be one hell of a QB.

ToldLikeItIs
05-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Williams isn't that fast, and 6'2? He's really 6'2?

Matthew Jones
05-09-2007, 02:36 PM
It's never a good sign when you don't up put at least 50% completion, that kind of worries me. Grothe is pretty good though, could be a decent NFL starter.

HuskerNation, really, you're that proud of winning a mediocre bowl game? That's unbelievably pathetic. I find it odd you're so eager to bring up the Michigan/USC game, do you conveniently forget that your powerhouse Huskers lost 28-10 to SC. So, let's review....

USC 32
Michigan 18 (14 point differential)

USC 28
Nebraska 10 (18 point differential)

Okay, first of all, a bit under 50% completion isn't terrible for a QB who still has plenty of time and played teams like Ohio State and Penn State. Brady Quinn threw 47.3% with 9 TD and 15 INT in his freshman year - Juice's stats are better than that, and he's got better tools. Not to say Juice is better than Quinn, but it's too early to look at stats. Also, point differential is stupid. What if Nebraska put up 40 points and lost by 16 but Michigan put up a goose egg and lost by 14?

JCarver27
05-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Okay, first of all, a bit under 50% completion isn't terrible for a QB who still has plenty of time and played teams like Ohio State and Penn State. Brady Quinn threw 47.3% with 9 TD and 15 INT in his freshman year - Juice's stats are better than that, and he's got better tools. Not to say Juice is better than Quinn, but it's too early to look at stats. Also, point differential is stupid. What if Nebraska put up 40 points and lost by 16 but Michigan put up a goose egg and lost by 14?
but they didn't.

Sniper
05-09-2007, 02:55 PM

Juice completed 39%.

...Then Nebraska's defense would be bad, and Michigan's O would be bad too. Point is, Michigan made it a closer game, didn't they?

Achilles33
05-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Juice is really that big? No way. Those listings are always messed up.

No way this kid is 233 pounds:

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/isiah22flash.jpg

HuskerNation
05-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Juice completed 39%.

...Then Nebraska's defense would be bad, and Michigan's O would be bad too. Point is, Michigan made it a closer game, didn't they?

No they didn't actually, you guys were out of it from the beginning pretty much. Nebraksa hung around for 3 quarters like they wanted to.

Sniper
05-09-2007, 08:14 PM
3-3 at half....yep out of it the whole time

ChefMike
05-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Williams isn't that fast, and 6'2? He's really 6'2?

He is a clone of Donovan McNabb, and he is fast not Michael VIck fast but he I am sure runs in the 4.5-4.6 range.

He is 6'2 listed in multiple publications and no one except here has his height been questioned. This year he will start to get the Heisman hype and next season he will be a Heisman contender no doubt. The Illini have brought in a tremendous WR recruit Aurelious Benn, the guy has all the makings of a great WR and the physcial size to go along with it !

Sniper
05-10-2007, 09:27 AM
He won't sniff the Heisman unless he starts hitting more than 39% of his passes. Benn, by all acounts, is a playmaker, but the rest of the team isn't that good. Chad Henne has Mario Manningham and Adrian Arrington along with a running game, does that make him a Heisman contender?

Achilles33
05-10-2007, 07:38 PM
You know how the underclassmen listings for height and weight are. It says Williams is 6'2'' 233, LMFAO yea right. He is more like 6' maybe jusy maybe 6'1'' and about 205 pounds.

jbooshey
05-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Juice has a great chance for sucess in the NFL. Good arm, mobile and if he got a little better acuracy he could be one hell of a QB.

I disagree...he needs to get A LOT better accuracy...he looks like a safety to me.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
05-18-2007, 07:35 PM
You know how the underclassmen listings for height and weight are. It says Williams is 6'2'' 233, LMFAO yea right. He is more like 6' maybe jusy maybe 6'1'' and about 205 pounds.

Have you seen him in person? He's atleast 220lbs.

Juice says he's 6'0 not 6'2 so the listing is wrong on the height.. But he is a legit 225+lbs.

You're an idiot if you think he's 200-205lbs.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
05-18-2007, 07:47 PM
He won't sniff the Heisman unless he starts hitting more than 39% of his passes. Benn, by all acounts, is a playmaker, but the rest of the team isn't that good. Chad Henne has Mario Manningham and Adrian Arrington along with a running game, does that make him a Heisman contender?

LOL.

Possibly the dumbest thing I have read on this site.

Uh, yeah Henne will be a Heisman contender.

sweetness34
05-18-2007, 07:51 PM
I disagree...he needs to get A LOT better accuracy...he looks like a safety to me.

He looks like a safety? Want to explain that?

Btw his completion percentage is misleading. He had a ton of dropped balls last year, a ton. Probably 3 or 4 a game if not more. But yes his accuracy definitely needs improvement.

dabears10
05-19-2007, 12:37 AM
He looks like a safety? Want to explain that?

Btw his completion percentage is misleading. He had a ton of dropped balls last year, a ton. Probably 3 or 4 a game if not more. But yes his accuracy definitely needs improvement.

Yeah so did Brady Quinn, he still completed 60%+. Rhema himself would drop 2 a game and then make a spectacular catch that made sportscenter.

Juice, NEEDS ALOT OF IMPROVEMENT. He is not the step away in which you are making him seem to be.

sweetness34
05-19-2007, 12:44 AM
Yeah so did Brady Quinn, he still completed 60%+. Rhema himself would drop 2 a game and then make a spectacular catch that made sportscenter.

Juice, NEEDS ALOT OF IMPROVEMENT. He is not the step away in which you are making him seem to be.

And he's shown improvement this offseason if you actually followed the Illini. His accuracy still needs work from what I hear but it's gotten better. We had the worst hands of any WR core in the nation, I can guarantee you that right now. Not one WR could catch the ball consistently.

Young QB's usually take time to develop, and Juice is no different. But he does have the tools to be a dynamite player.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
05-19-2007, 01:50 PM

Brady as a senior or freshman?

Juice was 18 last year playing in the B10 with little to no help.. That is younger than that loser "phenom" that signed w/ ND last year. In a tough conference unlike ND who schedules cupcakes.

We're not talking about 2 drops a game here.. We're talking about 6-8. Dropping Screens, etc..

No one is talking about him as a heisman contender this year, of course he needs to improve and he has. He's going to be much improved this year & in his junior & season seniors we will most likely see a very good to great College player.

iowatreat54
05-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Brady as a senior or freshman?

Juice was 18 last year playing in the B10 with little to no help.. That is younger than that loser "phenom" that signed w/ ND last year. In a tough conference unlike ND who schedules cupcakes.

We're not talking about 2 drops a game here.. We're talking about 6-8. Dropping Screens, etc..

No one is talking about him as a heisman contender this year, of course he needs to improve and he has. He's going to be much improved this year & in his junior & season seniors we will most likely see a very good to great College player.

reading comprehension...he said one player would drop atleast 2 a game, not 2 for the whole team...

As possibly the biggest anti-Illini member of this site, I really dislike Juice...however, he does have the size and arm to succeed at QB, he has the talent around him to do well, and maybe as the young team gains more experience and gets used to playing with eachother he will improve...I only got to see him in the Iowa game and a little here and there from clips of other games, but a lot of his passes look like Rex Grossman where he just drops and launches the ball, but that might be play call...but also a lot of his passes I saw were overthrown or not on target...now he may have had a ton of dropped passes, I don't know, but from the little I saw he had more passes off target than dropped...we will see if he improves at all this year I just wouldn't expect Benn to all of a sudden turn Juice into a 2500, 20 TD, 60% passer just like that...

Sniper
05-19-2007, 03:09 PM
LOL.

Possibly the dumbest thing I have read on this site.

Uh, yeah Henne will be a Heisman contender.

Yeah...sure he will...throwing the ball 15 times a game...I'm one of the biggest Michigan fans and I'm predicting he doesn't make it to NY.

sweetness34
05-19-2007, 07:02 PM
reading comprehension...he said one player would drop atleast 2 a game, not 2 for the whole team...

As possibly the biggest anti-Illini member of this site, I really dislike Juice...however, he does have the size and arm to succeed at QB, he has the talent around him to do well, and maybe as the young team gains more experience and gets used to playing with eachother he will improve...I only got to see him in the Iowa game and a little here and there from clips of other games, but a lot of his passes look like Rex Grossman where he just drops and launches the ball, but that might be play call...but also a lot of his passes I saw were overthrown or not on target...now he may have had a ton of dropped passes, I don't know, but from the little I saw he had more passes off target than dropped...we will see if he improves at all this year I just wouldn't expect Benn to all of a sudden turn Juice into a 2500, 20 TD, 60% passer just like that...

And no one is saying he will turn into a 20 TD passer just like that, but he will be improved this year. I fully expect Juice to be an impact player by his junior season. Oh and being an Illini fan, he had more drops than anyone in Division I football. His WR's were horrid last year.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
05-19-2007, 10:29 PM

Reading comprehension? I interpreted it like he said.. He brought up 2 drops by one player. I didn't think he understood how many drops we were talking about with Juice.

And no one has said Juice was going to be a 60% passer & throw for 20 tds. We have all been saying he has a ton of potential and will be greatly improved. Maybe you need to learn how to read a bit better before you run your mouth.

iowatreat54
05-19-2007, 11:34 PM
I was just using those stats as an example I never said anyone gave those numbers specifically, but people are making it out like Benn is all of a sudden going to improve Juice's numbers drastically...yes with all the talent around around him Juice should improve his numbers but we will how much he improves, if at all...

and he said one player would drop 2 by himself, which he implied that obviously there is going to be other drops in the game...

I will guarantee right now that Juice will never be in the running for the Heisman ever, he might be mention in the same sentence by people but never in the running and will be a 2nd day draft pick at best...Zook is still too much of a joke to teach him or anyone on that football team anything

BUSTKUNTLAWL
05-20-2007, 12:43 AM
Zook doesn't work with Juice that much at all.

Locksley does.. And he's not a bad coach at all. He will be a D1 HC very soon.