PDA

View Full Version : Texan's Record Next Season

VY10
05-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Based on the off-season, how do you think that the Texans will do next year?

marks01234
05-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Tough to say - depends on how well the offense can get going.

I feel good about Schaub and the skill position guys. The line still worries me and I hope Owen Daniels can continue to emerge as a very good TE. Andre Johnson is due for a breakout year and our running game should be solid to good, depending on the line play.

We are going to win games based on our D and I think we can do it. A healthy Mario alongside Okoye could be scary, although Okoye is probably a year or two away from "earning" his high pick status. I hope we can get some solid play out of Travis Johnson and some good play out of Jason Babin. Ryans will be back to clean up any mess and the secondary should remain solid. I think at the end of the day, the D needs a huge impact player and it is going to have to be Mario. If he can sustain the performance's he had against Miami and the Giants last year, we can be a dominant defense.

Oh yea, prediction - I'm going to go with 8-8. We are expecting a lot of guys to step up and have a brand new QB starter. I like our division outside of the Colts though and even there I think we could steal a victory from them (like Jacksonville always manages to with his good QB pressure). Our record last year was the product of a couple bad breaks (tennessee game certainly sticks out) and injuries. We'll certainly have some of both this year but hopefully not as many.

cunningham06
05-03-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm thinking 7-9, 8-8 if we catch some lucky breaks.

datchapin
05-03-2007, 09:29 PM
16-0 that's my prediction... until we loose then it'll be 15-1. Texans in the playoffs baby!!!!

pswizz
05-04-2007, 12:37 AM
I think at the end of the day, the D needs a huge impact player and it is going to have to be Mario.

Don't you mean they need another huge impact player? I think 156 tackles and 3.5 sacks counts as a huge impact player.

It definitely is going to be riding on the defense not allowing much. I want to say that the offense is going to be much improved this upcoming season but I don't think that David Carr was necessarily the biggest problem. I think Scahub and Green will help, but I just don't think we did enough with the offensive line to make that great of an impact on this offense.

I am predicting a 7-9 season next...tying their best record ever. I definitely think we are the right track. I love the direction the team is heading, I just don't think it will show that much with this next season.

VY10
05-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Don't you mean they need another huge impact player? I think 156 tackles and 3.5 sacks counts as a huge impact player.

I would say that Ryans is a very good, solid player but he is certainly not an impact player yet.

I think 7-9 sounds like a good goal for next year. We get to play the Browns, Dolphins, Raiders, and Buccaneers next season and as shown last year we can beat the Jaguars and hopefully can beat the Titans. The Falcons are a team I think we can also beat and I pray that we can somehow beat the Saints and that Reggie doesn't do anything spectacular or we are going to *look even more stupid for not taking him or the hometown favorite, Vince.

America
05-05-2007, 02:11 PM
I think 7-9 is where we should be. We didn't surround Schaub with enough talent IMO. Our line is still suspect, although Spencer's return would make me feel a lot better. I don't like our #2 receiver position at all. If our line can protect..Schaub will go deep, and we'll have much better chances of coming back from behind, something we never do.

Wolf123
05-05-2007, 06:18 PM
I think it will be anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7

Dunta_23
05-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Im going to say 9-7 and I will be dissapointed with anything less than 8-8....

VY10
05-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Im going to say 9-7 and I will be dissapointed with anything less than 8-8....

I agree, but i would say don't get your hopes up. It is in fact the Texans. A lot of our success this year also relies on how well Schaub does.

pswizz
05-06-2007, 04:16 PM
I don't think we made enough big moves on offense to expect to be a .500 team this year. I think if the defense plays like it has the ability to they will win us a couple of games. But our offense is still not good enough to push us to .500 expectations.

Nightmares Win 6-0
05-06-2007, 06:56 PM
it all hinges on the development of mario and the impact of okoye...

i can see us being anywhere between 6-10 and 11-6, but we need a big impact from schaub, someone to step up and perform like a true second WR, better coverage from our safeties, and a consistent pass rush...

we need some role players to step up too...

based off of all these factors, i believe we will end up either 7-9 or 8-8...

datchapin
05-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Okay, I was just joking about my previous prediction, but I think we'll have a winning season this yr. or at least .500.

Last yr. at the beginning of the season our passing game was good, until we started loosing linemen. We shortened our splits and our passing game suffered. With the addition of VontaLeach our running game was much improved. With the addition of Green I think our run game will be much improved. We added alot of depth on the line and while the return of Spencer would be a godsend. Continuity alone should help them out. Also we are better equipped to handle injuries on the o-line then we were previously.

From what I've heard about Schaub, he not only is a better leader than our previous QB, but he spreads the ball around and is adept at reading D's. I believe that was something our previous QB needed work on. While Carr did an okay job at passing, he didn't always optimize his weapons. Many times he could have hit a different receiver for yds. and if Schaub finds the open receivers than I think this yr. we'll see a huge jump in production.

Our defense stunk to high hell during the first few games last yr. However in the second half they really stepped up, ranking in the top ten. I see no reason for this trend not to continue, considering the addition of Okoye and the depth we've added we should be one of the top D's this coming yr. Barring any injuries.

Bottom line, we WON'T have a loosing season this coming yr. I believe we might even be wild card contenders.

Dunta_23
05-07-2007, 07:12 PM
I don't think we made enough big moves on offense to expect to be a .500 team this year. I think if the defense plays like it has the ability to they will win us a couple of games. But our offense is still not good enough to push us to .500 expectations.

I think weve made enough moves to get to .500 or above....

Matt Schaub upgrades David Carr
Ahman Green upgrades Ron Dayne/Wali Lundy
Vonta Leach upgrades Jameel Cook
Kevin Walter/Jacoby Jones combined will produce more than Eric Moulds did
Owen Daniels will be better with a year under his belt
OL will be better given they have more time together plus add in Jordan Black and our 2 rookies
Dunta + Jamaar Fletcher + Petey + Fred Bennett will outplay Dunta + Petey + ?
Danny Clark + Shawn Barber will be WAYY better than Shantee Orr
Healthy Mario with a year under his belt will produce better than Injured rookie Mario
Amobi Okoye by all accounts SHOULD outplay Street FA's found in the middle of the year

From top to bottom....I think we have made a LOT of great strides as a team...but like some of you are saying....most of this hinges on the play of Schaub....but can he do any worse that David Carr did?

marks01234
05-07-2007, 07:44 PM
I would say that Ryans is a very good, solid player but he is certainly not an impact player yet.

I'm going to agree with that. Although I love Ryans, I think his stats were bit inflated due to our lack of a consistenct DL and the general tendency for teams to try to "run over us" either because they were winning or because other teams had been pretty successful in doing so.

Also, Ryans seemed to be in on every play last year but I'm not sure he made a lot of game changing plays. Certainly a lot of good and solid plays where we would have terrible without.

GB12
05-07-2007, 08:36 PM
1-15, maybe you could get 2 to 3 wins.

Nightmares Win 6-0
05-07-2007, 09:52 PM
1-15, maybe you could get 2 to 3 wins.

be thankful you don't face the texans this year...taking a look at the green bay schedule, you are the ones will be lucky to get 3 wins...

we managed to end up 6-10 with a difficult schedule last year, and next year our schedule is cake...

Shiver
05-08-2007, 01:08 PM
I actually have you guys and the Lions in the 8-8 range. If I even get one of my predictions right, I will be heralded as a genius.

GB12
05-08-2007, 04:21 PM
be thankful you don't face the texans this year...taking a look at the green bay schedule, you are the ones will be lucky to get 3 wins...

we managed to end up 6-10 with a difficult schedule last year, and next year our schedule is cake...

I was just kidding, trying to get something out of Commie. I think they will have 6-8 wins. However I'm not thankful we don't face them, I'd take the Packers to win 4 out of 5 times.

Nightmares Win 6-0
05-08-2007, 05:09 PM
I was just kidding, trying to get something out of Commie. I think they will have 6-8 wins. However I'm not thankful we don't face them, I'd take the Packers to win 4 out of 5 times.

i actually think the texans would win 2 or 3 times out of 5...

i was just making a lame attempt at smack talk since you don't get to do that much when you're a texan fan...

#1chiefs_fan
05-08-2007, 06:54 PM
7-9 and up