PDA

View Full Version : Ed Hartwell...

Bengals1690
05-03-2007, 06:59 PM
was signed to a one year 1.5 million dollar contract.

PalmerToCJ
05-03-2007, 08:38 PM
haha It's about time, after the draft Marvin basically said he was going to sign but his wife had a baby so that delayed things.

Where he plays will tell us A LOT about what will happen with Odell.

If he goes to WLB and Ahmad starts in the middle there are no immediate plans for Odell to come back.

If he goes to MLB and Ahmad starts at SLB then I think Odell will be back middle of this year then Hartwell back to WLB.

I like the signing, depth and experience, low risk deal.

Bengals1690
05-03-2007, 08:52 PM
haha It's about time, after the draft Marvin basically said he was going to sign but his wife had a baby so that delayed things.

Where he plays will tell us A LOT about what will happen with Odell.

If he goes to WLB and Ahmad starts in the middle there are no immediate plans for Odell to come back.

If he goes to MLB and Ahmad starts at SLB then I think Odell will be back middle of this year then Hartwell back to WLB.

I like the signing, depth and experience, low risk deal.

pretty much. i dont know much about the guy, really, what are his strengths and weaknesses?

Bengals78
05-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Yay! Veteran depth at LB!
its what we needed when Simmons left.

PalmerToCJ
05-03-2007, 09:20 PM
As far as I know his strength is in run defense not sure if he's weak in coverage or simply adequate.

Hard to get a good guage off him from what he did in ATL and he was obviously surrounded by better players in Baltimore. Marvin would know, it'll be nice to hear him talk on it.

Bengals1690
05-03-2007, 09:23 PM
As far as I know his strength is in run defense not sure if he's weak in coverage or simply adequate.

Hard to get a good guage off him from what he did in ATL and he was obviously surrounded by better players in Baltimore. Marvin would know, it'll be nice to hear him talk on it.

well, im glad to hear he can stop the run. the coverage worries me, especially with our suspect secondary. but it looks like a good ol fashion, no risk sgning.

AkiliSmith
05-03-2007, 09:24 PM
He is going to weakside linebacker, per NFLN.

Weak - Hartwell
Middle - Brooks
Strong - Jeanty

PalmerToCJ
05-03-2007, 09:32 PM
He is going to weakside linebacker, per NFLN.

Weak - Hartwell
Middle - Brooks
Strong - Jeanty

That I can handle.

Sure would be nice to have Odell out there, he'd be wasted outside.

Bengals78
05-03-2007, 10:22 PM
That I can handle.

Sure would be nice to have Odell out there, he'd be wasted outside.

With Odell

Weak - Hartwell
Middle - Thurman
Strong Brooks

Just my opinion

PalmerToCJ
05-03-2007, 10:58 PM
I too feel that's the way it should be.

However, it seems almost obvious that Odell won't start from the beginning and it wouldn't be a good move to move Ahmad I dont think. Odell is a perfect MLB. Ahmad can make an impact anywhere...

themaninblack
05-04-2007, 12:50 AM
odell could play WLB if need be, but like you said he's obviously built for MLB. he definetly has adequate speed but putting brooks outside would be the move to get the talent on the field. marvin is gonna make odell work for this, whether or not he does, we shall see.

Shiver
05-08-2007, 12:53 AM
I am shocked they are putting him at WLB. Maybe I am unfamilar with the scheme the Bengals use. I thought Hartwell was too slow for Ed Donatell's MLB, where he didn't have to play in space too often.

Hines
07-11-2007, 12:28 PM
where is he gonna play...im sure he is gonna play at will where jeanty plays at..

PalmerToCJ
07-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Jeanty progressed a lot last year, he was an absolute beast in run defense and was gaining in coverage.

He'll replace Landon Johnson who was at WILL, Jeanty is at SAM. Landon is as average as they get, very average in pass D and run D.

Either way, WLB will be one of our weak links next year if anyone other than Odell is in there. I highly doubt Hartwell solves any problems.

LonghornsLegend
07-11-2007, 11:47 PM
hartwell's a great player, if and when healthy...if he plays majority of the year for you guys i wouldnt expect anyone to be dissapointed...

im jus concerned with odell, i really really hope he comes back as strong as he left, i feel like ur LB core would be pretty sick with him and brooks together, and hartwell puts the touches to it...

what week is thurman due back?

themaninblack
07-12-2007, 12:06 AM
the first day thurman was eligible for reinstatement was wednesday but he is expected to be reinstated sometime within the next week. he has had no violations of his rehab program. odell's a baller, skills like that dont go away, he just may need a bit of time to refine them.

Hines
07-12-2007, 11:50 AM
you guys are gonna have a log jam at postions when odell comes back

themaninblack
07-12-2007, 02:14 PM
theyll move someone outside. ideally it should be Hartwell and Brooks @ OLB with Odell in the middle.

I_C_DeadPeople
07-14-2007, 08:26 PM
theyll move someone outside. ideally it should be Hartwell and Brooks @ OLB with Odell in the middle.

ML has said that Brooks is the MLB and he has been doing all the off-season work at that spot. Thurman will be in the doghouse and will have to earn a spot somewhere - may have to wait for an injury.

themaninblack
07-15-2007, 02:23 AM
i think moving brooks outside is more ideal IMO. odell is solely a MLB and Ahmad can play anything but it is marvins call.

PalmerToCJ
07-16-2007, 11:51 AM
i think moving brooks outside is more ideal IMO. odell is solely a MLB and Ahmad can play anything but it is marvins call.

I will say I would prefer Ahmad to be at SLB but because Marvin has told him he'll be the MLB I think the only way he moves is if he's injured and Odell takes it over successfully. I still don't think Odell would make a bad WLB.

themaninblack
07-16-2007, 10:39 PM
he has played some OLB for the bengals and while i think he'd be just fine at either position having Odell in the middle and Ahmad at SLB would be freakish. Hartwell is gonna be a monster if he's healthy.

PalmerToCJ
07-17-2007, 11:22 AM
he has played some OLB for the bengals and while i think he'd be just fine at either position having Odell in the middle and Ahmad at SLB would be freakish. Hartwell is gonna be a monster if he's healthy.

Agreed about Ahmad/Odell, either way just having them on the field I'll be happy. Odell is good enough at coverage to play WLB and Ahmad is a better blitzer.

Honestly my expectations are very low for Hartwell, I don't think he'll do much when healthy and I figure he'll get hurt soon enough and won't be much of a factor.

Hines
07-17-2007, 11:23 AM
why dont you guys just switch to a 3-4 so you can have odell,edge,brooks,genty on the field at once

PalmerToCJ
07-17-2007, 11:43 PM
why dont you guys just switch to a 3-4 so you can have odell,edge,brooks,genty on the field at once

Marvin has all but said the 3-4 will never happen under him because he doesn't have enough time to dedicate to a swap.

It's too bad too. We have plenty of guys that could play the spots.

We will be a bit overstocked when Odell comes back if he gets it back together. Like I've said I think he'll be #3 on the WLB depth chart and #3 on the MLB depth chart at least to start the season. I do feel that if he stays out of trouble he'll be starting by about week 10, where I'm not sure.

The only way Ahmad won't play MLB is if he's injured and Odell takes his spot or he doesn't play well, I VERY highly doubt Ahmad won't play well.

Either way, I would just love to see both on the field and I honestly feel like Odell at WLB/Ahmad at MLB isn't much worse than Odell at MLB/Ahmad at SLB, at least Ahmad will have continuity at one spot unlike last year.

IMO our 3 best LB's are Ahmad, Odell and Jeanty in terms of talent. Jeanty is a SLB plain and simple, Ahmad is more of a SLB/MLB and Odell is a MLB obviously but I think he's built well for the WLB spot as well.

Odell/Ahmad/Jeanty would be a VERY solid LB core, if they played together a decent length throughout the year we'd have a top 10 LB core.

I really hope I'm wrong about Hartwell, I just don't see him turning into much... Unfortunately I had the same feeling about Sam Adams.

themaninblack
07-18-2007, 12:07 AM
i hope edge is at least pretty good. that said, jeanty looks to be a fine player and with the eventual return of odell edge will become nearly obsolete.