PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Running backs

NJ_J_Witt_fan
05-03-2007, 09:03 PM
I already hear my fellow Cowboy fans chanting for Darren McFadden as the Cowboys first selection in the 2008 draft. Julius Jones is a potential 2008 free agent, has past injury problems, and even though was productive last year he was not as explosive as in the past. So lets just say if he doesn’t return for the ‘08-‘09 season the boys will be looking for a feature back somewhere in round one. I believe the Cleveland pick should at least be a top 10 pick so no matter who the boys choose it should have the “wow” type of impact Jerry Jones is looking for. The ‘08 class will be very deep if underclassmen decide to declare. If McFadden falls into our reach im all for taking him but I don’t think we should sacrifice our additional 1st round pick if we have to maneuver up to get him. We can just as easily select a premier WR like DeSean Jackson or Mario Manningham. With the great depth we can pick up a good running back with our second 1st. Below is a list of RB with 1st round potential next year.

1. Darren McFadden, Arkansas- (6'2 ,205 4.3 forty) The class of the draft and almost a lock for the top five. Depending on the Browns’ pick he may fall right in the boy’s laps or if they want him bad enough the have the fire power to go get him. Lets not underestimate Jerry Jones’s Alumni status as a Razorback.

2. Jonathan Stewart, Oregon-(5'11, 230 4.3 forty) Stewart is a little bit of an underachiever but I think it may have to due with the Ducks system. Workout warrior and great kick returner that should shoot up draft boards.

3. Ray Rice, Rutgers-(5'9, 200 4.4 forty) Your classic meat and potatoes type of running back, tough between the tackles. Breaks a lot of tackles and has some wiggle shooting through the holes. Watch out if he his the second level because he will not hesitate to run past you.

4. Steve Slaton, West Virginia-(5'10 195 4.3 forty) Speed and elusiveness is Slaton’s game. Decent receiver out of the backfield and is the definition of a home run hitter. His seven yard running average is a little deceptive considering the WV runs a spread offense. Most of his runs come against nickle and dime defenses.

5. James Davis, Clemson-(5'11, 205 4.4- 4.5) Tough gritty back with good football speed and deceptive quickness. Sharing carries with future star C.J Spiller may hurt his stock if he is out performed.

6. Felix Jones, Arkansas-(6'0, 200 4.4) Jones and McFadden are probably the greatest rushing duo since Benson and Brown from Texas. Shares a lot of the same traits as his Razorback counterpart but is just a shade slower. I have him al the bottom of the list because I don’t think he will declare but put him on the list just in case.

NJ_J_Witt_fan
05-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Darren McFadden - Walter Payton CHI Bears

Jonathan Stewart - Chris Henry Tennessee Titans (based on numbers)

Ray Rice - Travis Henry Denver Broncos

Steve Slayton - Poor mans Reggie Bush NO Saints

James Davis - Shaun Alexander

Felix Jones - Willis McGahee Bal Ravens

Ward
05-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Jamaal Charles could easily declare if he has a big year, and he's supposedly dedicated the offseason fully to football (instead of track) and is above 200.

NJ_J_Witt_fan
05-03-2007, 11:16 PM
I love Charles's potential but he has never handled the entire load and if he doesnt commit to football and the weight room he could turn into Michael Bennett part II

reigle9
05-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Very nice list, good job not having Mike Hart on it. I'd probably have Slaton before Rice, maybe because I get to see a lot of WVU. I don't know, I'm just ready for football.

Modano
05-04-2007, 02:15 AM
Jamaal Charles could easily declare if he has a big year, and he's supposedly dedicated the offseason fully to football (instead of track) and is above 200.

QFT. Charles was AMAZING in his freshman season. He has the potential to be a first round pick.
And another guy I really like is Melton.

Ward
05-04-2007, 02:26 AM
QFT. Charles was AMAZING in his freshman season. He has the potential to be a first round pick.
And another guy I really like is Melton.

I love Melton too, but he has slim chances of becoming an NFL running back.

iKNOW
05-04-2007, 04:04 AM

are we talking henry melton? that guy has slim chances of being texas' RB - he has moved to DE. good size and power but bad form and drive.

charles needs to add bulk and retain speed and quickness to even be considered amongst the others. i heard he has bulked up but still needs another 10 pounds IMHO. plus he needs to hold on to the ball.

not a mcfadden fan and think he's just a good college back. he'll get hype and get drafted high but could be a bust. hart is a midget. ray rice is the guy i like.

i think the cowboys dont need to worry too much at RB anyway. barber is a starter.

Macarthur
05-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Darren McFadden - Walter Payton CHI Bears

Jonathan Stewart - Chris Henry Tennessee Titans (based on numbers)

Ray Rice - Travis Henry Denver Broncos

Steve Slayton - Poor mans Reggie Bush NO Saints

James Davis - Shaun Alexander

Felix Jones - Willis McGahee Bal Ravens

Damn. How could you go wrong with any of these guys? ;)

Modano
05-04-2007, 01:54 PM

Yes, as ikow said he was move to DE. But he was good to see him running the ball. Amazing speed for his size.
BTW, Charles in his freshamn season was pretty good. With an offseason focused on football he could easily add 10 pounds without losing speed.

D-Unit
05-06-2007, 05:42 AM
Anybody who knows me, knows how very much I dislike the idea of drafting a WR in the first round, however, RB is another issue altogether. RB is a critical position of need. A strong running game is a must in order to win in the NFL. Average WRs can get the job done fine, but a premier rushing attack is pivotal. A big reason for our disappointment last year can be attributed to our rushing attack. Our weak OL plus a soft back like JJ took us as far as we possibly could've hoped last year. Our improvements on the OL aren't significant in the starting line up, but I do believe another year recovered from injury will prove to be a big plus for Flozell and the addition of Leonard Davis is absolutely HUGE. I haven't seen him play in a Cowboys jersey yet, but he's got to be my favorite o-lineman already. A true road grader, here's hoping we find great success running behind his fat butt.
But back to RB... it's make or break time for JJ.

Achilles33
05-06-2007, 06:05 AM
McFadden or Stewart. We should be able to get one of them with Cleveland's pick.

Our O-line should be a lot better because of the following 5 things:

1. Usually when you have a major injury like an ACL tear, you don't return to your true form until the end of the first season you get back, or your 2nd season back. That is exactly how Flo is. He was dominant the last 6 or so weeks of the season. He will only be better this season.

2. Davis is going to be a top 3 guard in the NFL. I love how people are saying he is going to be the biggest FA bust. Just wait. Domination. Easily.

3. Gurode now has a settled position and will only improve on his pro-bowl season last year. He can now completely focus on center, and he knows it is his job, instead before he was switching back and forth and wondering if he would play or not. So he should only improve.

4. Colombo will only improve with more experience., in the starting line-up. He was a firs round pick for a reason. And he showed why last year.

5. Besides Davis, the o-line is the same, so the chemistry will be better as well.

With Romo gaining experience, T.O.'s hands fixed, and our o-line now being beastly, I expect our offense to be something the NFL hasn't seen in a long time.

OMG I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS SEASON!!!

D-Fence
05-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Don't sleep on Felix Jones...He is hidden in McFadden's shadow, but the dude is a STUD...Don't be surprised if he's the second or third RB on people's boards come April 08.

Achilles33
05-06-2007, 02:07 PM
I know, he is pretty sick. But if I were him, I would let McFadden leave and I would stay so I can be the man and then be a top 5 pick in '09. He is a junior right?

thule
05-08-2007, 12:02 PM
I know, he is pretty sick. But if I were him, I would let McFadden leave and I would stay so I can be the man and then be a top 5 pick in '09. He is a junior right?

Both guys are juniors.

Achilles33
05-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Eaxctly, so let McFadden leave this year, and then have the spotlight his senoir year.